in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Artist identification thread

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

topic icon Author Topic: Artist identification thread  (Read 10050 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Artist identification thread
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 01:25:19 AM »

I have to wonder if there are in fact, two signatures there. The script for the one above is almost perpendicular, straight up and down. The one below is a script that slants noticeably to the right. That's quite unusual for a signature.
I don't think the top one reads, 'Bob' It may be a surname.       
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2020, 07:18:52 PM »

Page from Giggle Comics #13 (October, 1944) signed by
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2020, 06:08:12 AM »

Page from Giggle Comics #13 (October, 1944) signed by
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2020, 07:32:46 AM »

Interesting! I hadn't heard of any women working for The Sangor Studio.  Did Dolores Carroll work in animation, for one of the major studios?

Dunno, the suggestion was made to me based on her vague credit for Funnies Inc. Other Carrolls drawing for comics in 44 include Les Carroll and J. Carroll Mansfield. Carl Wessler apparently used Carroll as a pen name as well.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2020, 07:45:16 AM »

Interesting! I hadn't heard of any women working for The Sangor Studio.  Did Dolores Carroll work in animation, for one of the major studios?

Dunno, the suggestion was made to me based on her vague credit for Funnies Inc. Other Carrolls drawing for comics in 44 include Les Carroll and J. Carroll Mansfield. Carl Wessler apparently used Carroll as a pen name as well.

We've solved it!  Looking back on the page, it's clear that that is Carl Wessler's work.  That is especially obvious in Panel 3 (bottom right).  The turtle's facial expression is how Wessler draws eyes when they are looking straight on, and how he makes small animal people's heads.  And he drew a lot of stories for Sangor in 1943-45.  Carroll and Carl are very close.  My guess is that he was born "Carroll Wessler, and went mainly by "Carl" in school and with his friends.  A quick Google check revealed that my guess was correct.  I never liked his comic book artwork, and now Ive learned that in the 1950s he changed from being a finishing artist to a storywriter/scenarist with Stan Lee's Atlas (probably drawing storyboards, as well).  He also did some editing under Lee.  He had started as an animator at Fleischers' Studio during the 1930s.  He remained a comic book writer and editor until 1980 (almost 50 years in the business!).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 07:51:49 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2020, 08:21:00 AM »

We've solved it!  Looking back on the page, it's clear that that is Carl Wessler's work.  That is especially obvious in Panel 3 (bottom right).  The turtle's facial expression is how Wessler draws eyes when they are looking straight on, and how he makes small animal people's heads.  And he drew a lot of stories for Sangor in 1943-45.  Carroll and Carl are very close.  My guess is that he was born "Carroll Wessler, and went mainly by "Carl" in school and with his friends.  A quick Google check revealed that my guess was correct.  I never liked his comic book artwork, and now Ive learned that in the 1950s he changed from being a finishing artist to a storywriter/scenarist with Stan Lee's Atlas (probably drawing storyboards, as well).  He also did some editing under Lee.  He had started as an animator at Fleischers' Studio during the 1930s.  He remained a comic book writer and editor until 1980 (almost 50 years in the business!).

Yeah, thinking about it further, it does have a rhyme and reasoning with his other work, as I recall that Wessler
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2020, 04:39:26 PM »

Yeah, thinking about it further, it does have a rhyme and reasoning with his other work, as I recall that Wessler
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2020, 05:22:23 PM »

I probably was overthinking it. Thanks Robb. I suppose another artist that conflicted me, for Krazy Life in particular, was Frank Little, whom I had seen draw that sort of exaggerated figure of character design. I could entertain the possibility that Ellis and Little worked on it together for Fox, but that
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2020, 05:46:05 PM »

I probably was overthinking it. Thanks Robb. I suppose another artist that conflicted me, for Krazy Life in particular, was Frank Little, whom I had seen draw that sort of exaggerated figure of character design. I could entertain the possibility that Ellis and Little worked on it together for Fox, but that
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2020, 01:00:00 AM »

Thanks.

Also, yet another artist I
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 01:03:05 AM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2020, 02:15:41 AM »

Electricmastro,

Go to GDC
  https://www.comics.org
look up Planet comics and see if they have a listing for the artist. 

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2020, 04:16:32 AM »

Electricmastro,

Go to GDC
  https://www.comics.org
look up Planet comics and see if they have a listing for the artist. 

Cheers!

I did, and it didn
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2020, 04:33:33 AM »

All I've ever been able to find out about A. Albert is that he/she worked for Fiction House between 1951 and 1955. I've never seen him anywhere else. Fiction House went reprint for about a year circa 1951-52 and returned with a completely new look. Some old hands were there, like Maurice Whitman, but many new artists appeared including A. Albert, John Belcastro ("Johnny Bell"), Bill Discount, and Bill Benulis.

The "new look" comics' indicias list Jerry Iger as art director. At least two of these guys (Belcastro and Whitman) appear on the Who's Who list of Iger Shop personnel in the early 50s. Around the same time the Shop also supplied material to Superior and later to Ajax-Farrell. I haven't found Albert in any of their books but I admit I haven't looked very hard. Albert doesn't show up on the Shop roster but this may be an omission. Iger hired a heckuva lot of artists between 1940 and 1961.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2020, 05:44:03 AM »

All I've ever been able to find out about A. Albert is that he/she worked for Fiction House between 1951 and 1955. I've never seen him anywhere else. Fiction House went reprint for about a year circa 1951-52 and returned with a completely new look. Some old hands were there, like Maurice Whitman, but many new artists appeared including A. Albert, John Belcastro ("Johnny Bell"), Bill Discount, and Bill Benulis.

The "new look" comics' indicias list Jerry Iger as art director. At least two of these guys (Belcastro and Whitman) appear on the Who's Who list of Iger Shop personnel in the early 50s. Around the same time the Shop also supplied material to Superior and later to Ajax-Farrell. I haven't found Albert in any of their books but I admit I haven't looked very hard. Albert doesn't show up on the Shop roster but this may be an omission. Iger hired a heckuva lot of artists between 1940 and 1961.

Bill Discount works on the cheap!  He'd have been a good bet to have worked for Fox!  ;D  I bet the name "William Discount" is NOT on that guy's birth certificate!  ;D
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2020, 06:25:10 AM »

Bill Discount works on the cheap!  He'd have been a good bet to have worked for Fox!  ;D  I bet the name "William Discount" is NOT on that guy's birth certificate!  ;D

It
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 06:27:19 AM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2020, 07:12:36 AM »

It
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2020, 08:42:44 AM »

This art from Wings Comics #22 as well as several other Captain Wings stories from 1942 have been attributed to either Rudy Palais or Maxwell Elkan. I feel that Palais is an underappreciated artist, but I
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2020, 09:07:40 AM »

Bill Discount signed his name to much of his work. He was quite good too. We have a collection of his work on CB+.
Discount Bill - Artist Showcase.
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=38787

Another one who doesn't show up on Lambiek. I would hazard that William Discount was in fact his real name. Either that or a deliberate pseudonym.

GCD lists a large number of comics he drew, most are on this site. It suggests his real name may have been
Steve Kirkel - but nothing definite. 
https://www.comics.org/penciller/name/bill%20discount/sort/alpha/

Cheers!

ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2020, 04:34:46 PM »

Artists of Fiction House

http://highest-standard.de/

DISCOUNT, WILLIAM A was born 01 July 1929; received Social Security number xxx-xx-xxxx, which corresponds to New York; and died 27 February 2007.

KIRKEL, STEPHEN B was born 29 April 1921; received Social Security number xxx-xx-xxxx, which corresponds to New York; and died 2 April 2003.

Don
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2020, 07:10:06 PM »

Artists of Fiction House

DISCOUNT, WILLIAM A was born 01 July 1929; received Social Security number xxx-xx-xxxx, which corresponds to New York; and died 27 February 2007.

KIRKEL, STEPHEN B was born 29 April 1921; received Social Security number xxx-xx-xxxx, which corresponds to New York; and died 2 April 2003.

Don
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2020, 07:35:48 PM »

Artists of Fiction House

Don
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2020, 03:27:53 AM »

mopee167, Well Researched. Once again CB+ is one up on GCD.
Robb,
BOTH the latter's first and last names were "Albert"?  So, his name was "Albert, Albert"?

Some people have very peculiar parents.

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2020, 04:44:10 AM »

Covers which I haven
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2020, 06:35:19 AM »

From Coo Coo Comics #10 (March, 1944), having a signature which could belong to Disney animator Paul Busch.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 05:57:14 AM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2020, 01:11:30 PM »

Here
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.