in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

VIP - How to get it - and what features do you want from it?

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: VIP - How to get it - and what features do you want from it?  (Read 9942 times)

Janus Wolf

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
VIP - How to get it - and what features do you want from it?
« on: March 20, 2010, 10:00:39 PM »

Just an update, while I am not promoting donating to the site, yes you can donate to: donate@goldenagecomics.co.uk for VIP status, its quick and easy. Users that have done this, have naturally been upgraded to VIP. As I am not promoting this, please donate if you choose this option what you feel is fair.

However, I have also awarded VIP status to thouse who, help with the site, or just scan books. VIP status is easy, easy can be donating, or scanning some books for all of us to share. I understand these are difficult times.

VIP has been known for its unlimited downloads and freedom that it brings, I guess newbies are still having some tech issues with it resetting. I am very thankful to the Moderators here who make this site work for us all.

With this said, I am in the process of bringing new features for VIP's and working towards making newbie improved access.

My question to you all is: What features would VIP's like to see here? You can email me here or privately.
It is important, to have VIP's be granted more features then just unlimited downloads.

It is an important question, to have a say, as development takes place on the site.
Thanks

Janus
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: VIP - How to get it - and what features do you want from it?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:58:31 PM »

maria7727 has uploaded several comics and should be made VIP. Not not VIP JVJ. There are those who need changed from VIP JVJ. The difference is self approval. New VIP's may put up books but may not know how to upload them properly. The mods approve their books makeing sure they are numbered correctly for sorting and put in the right places. Also the mods help to assure they are PD
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 02:06:49 AM »

Having some resources to check PD is crucial. For books that are uploaded that we already have some on site is not a problem, but now that we've opened up some silver age books, it's going to take care research to make sure.
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 03:06:41 AM »

thanks, just trying to get input on what features VIP's would want to see.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 04:57:28 PM »

I hate to be seen as complaining as I'm really only pointing out that I can't log on to the download site at all.  I've mentioned before that I know very little about computers - it's comics I care about and this site, which used to be so good, is, and should be, a great place to find great stuff and to talk about it.  It's actually becoming quite sad.  I can check in here to the messageboard and read or comment even though I don't have a lot to interest others but I become frustrated with these glitches and problems and am a bit disappointed.  I realise the sheer amount of hard work that goes into the site and would ask you to look at it this way:-  I can't donate, I can't log in, I've been a member for quite a while, I provided a tiny bit of help on a Rural Home comic, I'm old (and this is adding even more grey hairs),  I know bucketloads about comics, I collect the real, paper ones, I've written about them, been interviewed about them, given talks about them, met many of the good and famous (and a lot of chancers)  and all I would like is the ability to download some titles to enjoy and help expand my knowledge of this great hobby.
Sorry to go on.  Comments and insights welcome.

Janus,

I formally nominate Paw Broon for VIP status.

1) Rereading his posts, it is clear that he has much knowledge to contribute;
2) He actually has helped out on identifications issues regarding comics on site;
3) In addition to $ Donations & Comics Scans, "Historical Knowledge" of Golden Age comics is also a commodity, a commodity which Paw Broon has provided in the past, and most likely would be more than willing to provide in the future as a token of thanks for receiving VIP status.

I offer that also providing the option for established contributors (who may not have cash or scans to donate) to be nominated for VIP status (by VIPs/mods/JVJ project members), adds an additional layer of fandom community to GAC, and displays the commitment of the site to the spirit of Golden Age discovery which draws and grounds many of us who frequent GAC.

Submitted for consideration by: Boox909
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »

Knowledge can be the most valuable of commodities so I agree
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 05:42:14 PM »

Definitely, I agree Boox and Narf. As boox mentioned, it should be a consensus of who to give the VIP status to. Just going through the posts you can see which members have knowledge we need or at the very least contribute to the community here. I think if we can offer VIP status to people for truly contributing to the site without money or scans it would work well.
Yeah, I know I'm just repeating what Narf and Boox said, just a long winded way of saying I agree with both.  :)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 06:18:24 PM »

The best way to never go wrong is to always agree with me ;D Too bad I can not convince my wife of that ;)
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 06:29:25 PM »

I think your wife has just studied the "Wife Handbook". Husbands Are Never Right is page 1.
ip icon Logged

jeffcannell

• VIP

I'd like to donate while I'm getting up to speed on scanning.

I got some nice Jingle Jangle issues and an assortment of Lev Gleason goodness!
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 09:13:56 PM »

Janus is unofficially taking donations via Paypal. Look at my sig. He seemed to indicate he would rather have people wait until donations was up and running. If you can give us some scans those are always appreciated and can get you VIP status.
ip icon Logged

jeffcannell

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 09:42:46 PM »

I just donated 25- well worth the reading. I will try to scan a book soon. I was flipping thru my copy of Daredevil Comics 21 (no scan yet) and it is pretty brittle-- But better archived I guess than disintegrating in a longbox.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »

That's the spirit Jeff. That is a big part of what and why we do what we do. Get these gems preserved before they are gone.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 12:26:36 AM »

Too much of our history is being lost to the ravages of time. "The union Golden Age must be preserved!"
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 01:06:47 AM »

Perhaps having VIPS vote on books based on art, story, writing, etc. I know we have a feature for each download to give it a rating, but I thought maybe break it down to more specific categories and then have it appear in a database. This way, if a member wants to read a western title or science fiction, horror, etc they can look in the database for the title in that genre with the highest rating.
ip icon Logged

jeffcannell

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 01:12:31 AM »

I would love to see a VIP monthly recommendation list.
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 01:18:09 AM »

It is done, Paw Broon is a VIP.

Janus

----

Janus,

I formally nominate Paw Broon for VIP status.

1) Rereading his posts, it is clear that he has much knowledge to contribute;
2) He actually has helped out on identifications issues regarding comics on site;
3) In addition to $ Donations & Comics Scans, "Historical Knowledge" of Golden Age comics is also a commodity, a commodity which Paw Broon has provided in the past, and most likely would be more than willing to provide in the future as a token of thanks for receiving VIP status.

I offer that also providing the option for established contributors (who may not have cash or scans to donate) to be nominated for VIP status (by VIPs/mods/JVJ project members), adds an additional layer of fandom community to GAC, and displays the commitment of the site to the spirit of Golden Age discovery which draws and grounds many of us who frequent GAC.

Submitted for consideration by: Boox909
[/quote]
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 01:27:11 AM »

VIP granted. Thanks

Janus

I would love to see a VIP monthly recommendation list.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 02:38:14 AM »

It is done, Paw Broon is a VIP.

Janus

Awesome news! Thanks Janus.  ;D
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 03:55:45 PM »

Hey, boox909, how exciting.  Thanks for the kind words and I consider the VIP status a privilege and, I suppose, a surprise and an honour.  Perhaps you all may grow to regret this as I can bore for Scotland on my love of superheroes, masked mystery men and comics in general.  Also, as I've mentioned on this site before, my interest in relatively obscure (and foreign) heroes can seem a bit obsessive at times.  While I know GAC can't host european comics because of copyright issues being different, it would be interesting to find out if any of the contributors read or enjoy stuff such as Ace Hart, El Guerrero del Antifaz, The Phantom (although Chronicle Chamber is the best place for all Phantom Phans) Wonderman, Kriminal and barraloads more.  Don't really expect much response but it's worth broaching the subject.
Janus, thank you for the consideration.
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »

There's a few foreign characters I want to check out: Diabolik, Panther, Kriminal, Vampire, Raio Negro and Jaguara.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 05:37:47 PM »

Hey, boox909, how exciting.  Thanks for the kind words and I consider the VIP status a privilege and, I suppose, a surprise and an honour.  Perhaps you all may grow to regret this as I can bore for Scotland on my love of superheroes, masked mystery men and comics in general.  Also, as I've mentioned on this site before, my interest in relatively obscure (and foreign) heroes can seem a bit obsessive at times.  While I know GAC can't host european comics because of copyright issues being different, it would be interesting to find out if any of the contributors read or enjoy stuff such as Ace Hart, El Guerrero del Antifaz, The Phantom (although Chronicle Chamber is the best place for all Phantom Phans) Wonderman, Kriminal and barraloads more.  Don't really expect much response but it's worth broaching the subject.
Janus, thank you for the consideration.

Welcome aboard Paw!  ;D

Isn't there someone who runs a nice Ace Hart website? I remember checking out a few times -- Ace Hart is a neat character. I hope Marvel never gets their hands on him.  I am taking a 'wait and see' position on their plans for Marvelman, as I think it could be very good or very bad.

B.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 06:33:49 PM »

There is a section here with some comics from the UK and Australia. Never looked at them so not sure of the specifics.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 07:17:21 PM »

Yes, that's the Ace Hart site but it was down for a while.  So glad to see it back up.  Check out the comics, they may be old but they are great.  You can find out most everything re AH there but Foldes Press, the original publishers, were located in Joppa, just outside Edinburgh.  The site is still there but it's a tyre centre now (or was the last time I looked.)
Please no, don't let Marvel get there hands on the original Marvelman.  Or, at any rate, God help us all if they give it to Morrison or Miller or some of those change for the sake of it American writers.
As to Diabolik, Kriminal etc, there are some interesting sites and though I don't know how to put in a hyperlink on these pages, I'll look them up and post them here so you can paste them into your search engine.  Might take me a wee while, I'm a bit slow.
More on Raio Negro and Jaguara would be nice if you have it.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 04:10:31 PM »

Please be careful as some of these sites contain some adult illustrations and some people may be offended, or be too young to access.

I found these links quicker than I thought , so, here goes:-  for Diabolik ( including on line comics to read
www.diabolik.it

For Kriminal and Magnus ( who didn't do nearly enough issues) there are 3 sites with sections on the best villain costume ever

www.jahsonic.com/Kriminal.html

www.ubcfumetti.com/magnus/Italiano/kriminal.htm

www.uppers.org/showArticle.asp?article=458

Some other Italian characters I have in my collection, including Sadik, can be found at

www.masinogiovanni.com/index.htm
(go to fumetti page

bchat, you mention Vampire.  Don't know if you mean the Italian heroine AZ10 Vampir.  If so, she appeared in Diabolik size comics in the 60's.  Title changed to Vampir - la figlia del mistero around #5 or 6

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.