in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 716816 times)

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1100 on: March 28, 2012, 02:29:11 PM »

I came rather late and haphazardly to Dr. Who catching them here and there in the 1980s and 90s on my local PBS station in the edited into movies format.  I have never seen them in any kind of chronological order.
I've done better with the new Dr. Who series.  I started watching the season three episodes on DVD at the same time that BBC America was running season 4.  Have kept up with subsequent seasons while catching reruns of most episodes from seasons one and two.
I also have acquired the Peter Cushing Dr. Who feature films on DVD but haven't gotten around to watching them yet.

We watched the BBC Quatermass TV serials at our weekly Movie Nights a few years back.  Good stuff.  IIRC, only the first series was missing episodes.
I also have seen and enjoyed the Hammer feature film adaptations that Paw mentioned.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1101 on: March 28, 2012, 03:09:23 PM »

Just a reminder that BBC America is premiering the new season of Whitechapel tonight for anyone here in the states who watches the show.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1102 on: March 28, 2012, 06:26:24 PM »

Josemas:
"We watched the BBC Quatermass TV serials at our weekly Movie Nights a few years back.  Good stuff.  IIRC, only the first series was missing episodes.
I also have seen and enjoyed the Hammer feature film adaptations that Paw mentioned."

Wow, this is the first I've heard that the TV versions are available (albeit with some missing in the 1st story). I've only seen the 1st & 3rd feature films.

Of course, there's been some tributes done on DOCTOR WHO.  "Spearhead From Space" reportedly has the IDENTICAL opening sequence as the 2nd Quatermass serial.  "The Daemons" borrows quite a lot from the 3rd one. "The Ark In Space" borrows heavily from the 1st one (as does part of "The Seeds Of Doom").

And "Remembrance Of The Daleks" obliquely mentions "Bernard" in the dialogue.

Brian Donlevy is mostly known for villains, particularly the VERY nasty S.O.B. in DESTRY RIDES AGAIN (with James Stewart & Marlene Dietrich). Meanwhile, Andrew Keir has prominent roles in DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS and INVASION EARTH: 2150 A.D.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1103 on: March 28, 2012, 06:36:37 PM »

I watched DOCTOR WHO as it came. My intro was actually INVASION EARTH: 2150 A.D., followed months later by DOCTOR WHO AND THE DALEKS (which has always been a disappointment to me, by comparison with the sequel).

Then followed Jon Pertwee. Philly's Channel 17 ran "THE SILURIANS" to "DAY OF THE DALEKS".  Reportedly, they syndicated 3 seasons, but Channel 17 skipped the "pilot" and cut if off after the 1st story in the 3rd year, effectively runnnng only 2 years' worth.  First, 1 ep. per night, M-F at 7:30 PM (escept for the last ep. of "DAY OF THE DALEKS", which they announced would be on Friday at 10 PM, as they apparently decided to cut the show off at that point).  About a year later, it turned up again, one ep. per WEEK, Saturdays at 11:30 AM.  All were cut for commercial time.

Then in May '79, Channel 12 (PBS) got Tom Baker's 1st 4 years. They began running it 1 ep. per week, Friday's at 10 PM. But after about a month, they began running it 5 times a week, at 7:30 PM (or was it 6:30 PM?). But for the first 8 months or so, they ran the stories at random. I sent them a copy of the episode list I got from STARLOG magazine, and the wrote back, thanking me and saying when the show would begin on Saturday at 3 PM, they would start over from the beginning and run complete stories each weekend, in the correct order.  They did! At that point, they were all cut for commercial time, even though it was a PBS station, that's the copies they got from the distributor. Those "edits" also had unneccesary coming attractions at the beginning and end of every episode, narrated by Howard Da Silva.  (The HORROR!!)

When Baker's last 3 seasons arrived, they were seen fir the first time in "movie" versions, all edited together (sometimes BADLY!!). But these versions, apart from the cliffhangers, were otherwise UNCUT, and Baker's 1st 4 seasons turned up in the same form as well. Later still, UNCUT versions of all of his individual episodes (and other stories as well) turned up. Some of those stories I wound up taping 3 or 4 times apiece, trying to get the best possible copies.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:39:00 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1104 on: March 29, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »

Some features watched in the last few weeks-

Tron: Legacy-2010-  When I saw the first Tron movie, about three decades ago, the computer graphics were state of the art.  Now they seem downright primitive. This is an okay sequel.

Silver Spurs-1922-  Lester Cuneo was a western star in the silent era.  He is virtually forgotten now-a-days except by the most knowledgeable fans of the genre. If this so-so entry is a typical example of his work it may explain why he's pretty much forgotten.

The Kid Stakes-1927-  Enjoyable silent kid comedy.  Also a rare example of a silent Australian feature film.

The Peacock Fan-1929-  Middling late silent mystery flick.

I'll Tell the World-1934-  Fun pre-code story of fast-talking newspaperman played excellently by the neglected Lee Ttracy.

Bridesmaids (unrated)-2011-  Funny, raunchy comedy.

Allegheny Uprising-1939-  After doing a loan-out to appear in John Ford's Stagecoach Republic Pictures moved John Wayne right back into B westerns.  When Stagecoach came out and it became clear it was a hit Wayne was again loaned out and re-teamed with Claire Trevor in this colonial era "western".  It's no Stagecoach but is pleasant enough film with good production values and a great supporting cast, most notably George Sanders (appearing here between Saint films).

Hugo (in 3-D)-2011-  I really enjoyed this one.  Enjoyed everything about it.  The cast, the story, the production design and direction.  It's also probably the best film I've ever seen in 3-D (and I don't usually bother [or care] to catch a film in 3-D).

G-Men from Hell-2000-  Wacky, low budget adaptation of a Mike Allred comic (which I never heard of).  It really does have that weird feel that some of Allred's comics have.  Decent cast and competent direction help too.  And as a bonus since I picked it up at the 99 Cent Only store it was a lot cheaper than any comic books now-a-days.

Black Swan-2010-  Intriguing psycho-sexual thriller.

My Friend from India-1927- Okay light silent comedy with Franklin Pangborn (who played supporting roles in tons of talking features) playing the lead here.

The Losers-2010-  Pretty decent adaptation of the DC-Vertigo comic series.  Nothing special but easy to watch action film.

Red Cliff Part 1-2008-  John Woo returns to Hong Kong (after years of making fair to middling films in the states) and turns out his best film since leaving there in the first place.  Epic tale of early Chinese history (which may or may not be accurate as I know very little about their history of that period) has much of the male bonding, slick action and other trademarks of his vintage work.  Looking forward to the sequel.

Terror Beneath the Sea-1966-  Somehow I missed this one over the years.  Rather low budget Japanese sci-fi flick with cheesy fish men fighting a young Sonny Chiba and a number of European actors.

In Old California-1942-  John Wayne, playing a physician of all things, gets caught up battling the bad guys amidst the background of the gold rush.  Nice supporting comedy played by Edgar Kennedy and Patsy Kelly.

Tangled-2010-  Disney's recent animated take on the Rapunzel story.  Fun.

Edge of Darkness-2010-  Boston cop (Mel Gibson) tries to track down the killers of his daughter and finds himself caught up in a big cover-up conspiracy.  Kept my interest even if it's no classic.

They Drive by Night-1938-  Excellent little Hitchcockian thriller with Emlyn Williams playing a recently released ex-con who finds his girlfriend murdered when he goes to visit her on his first day out of prison.  Of course he's the chief suspect and spends much of the film on the run.  Very well directed and photographed.  Good work by the supporting cast, especially by Ernest Thesiger (The Bride of Frankenstein).  Also watch for William Hartnell in a small role as a conductor (billed as Billy Hartnell).

The Sand Pebbles-1966-  I haven't seen this since I was a kid.  Then I thought it was too slow and didn't have enough action but after recently watching the roadshow version released on DVD I found it to be a much better film than I did in my youth.  Lots of good characterization in the script.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1105 on: March 29, 2012, 05:08:11 PM »

Re. Quatermass - only episodes 1 & 2 of the 6 episodes of The Quatermass Experiment t.v. serial still exist.  The box set is available on Amazon U.K. but it'll be regions 2 & 4.

profh0011, you're bang on with those Dr Who refs.  Not only does Remembrance mention Bernard but I seem to remember a reference to the British Rocket Group.  There are other movies which could easily be Quatermass movies.  For example The Giant Behemoth , which stars Andre Morell (Quatermass in Q and the Pit t.v.) as the scientist.  And X the Unknown with Dean Jagger as Dr. Adam Royston.

Someone mentioned Rapunzel and now I can't see who it was but Rapunzel turns up in Dr. Who, The Mind Robber (Troughton) If you haven't seen the b & w. Dr. Who with Hartnell and Troughton please try to find them.  Some of them are excellent, despite the dodgy scenery and generally slower tempo.  Troughton is my favourite Doctor and, remember, you also get to watch Zoe.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1106 on: March 30, 2012, 02:52:41 AM »

People always say your first Doctor is your favorite, but my first was Peter Cushing, followed by Jon Pertwee, then Tom Baker... and my favorite is Sylvester McCoy!  (Go figure)  I only recently read that after Colin Baker was fired by the BBC, the producer (JNT) specifically went looking for "a Patrick Troughton type". Boy, did he find one!!  Even so, those IDIOTS who were so hell-bent on driving the BBC's #1 BIGGEST money-maker worldside OFF the air tried to prevent McCoy from being hired. I think they were just determined not to approve ANYBODY, they just wanted to use every excuse they could to screw the show over. Anyway, despite a rather dodgy 1st season (after all this time, I do like "PARASIDE TOWERS" and "DELTA AND THE BANNERMEN"-- there, I've said it), I did like McCoy from the very first. I tend to think his GOOFY side is what makes his "mysterious" side work so well. You just don't expect someone who looks like THAT to be dangerous.

Over time, I came to realize that Patrick Troughton was my 2nd favorite, and Tom Baker, my 3rd.  Crazy, huh?  (Peter Cushing might be higher on the list, except he only did 2 stories, and they're not exactly part of the same continuity! Although, his 2nd film remains my #1 FAVORITE Dalek story, bar none.)

A good friend of mine has offered the opinion that Roger Delgado would have made a better Doctor than Jon Pertwee.    ;D If you watch the scene in "THE CLAWS OF AXOS" where he's messing about with The Doctor's TARDIS, you can see what he means.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 02:56:06 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1107 on: March 30, 2012, 07:55:25 AM »

Not a lot to argue with there.  Delgado would have been excellent as The Doctor, if he hadn't made such a great villain.So, your favourite is the wee Scottish actor?  McCoy gets put down too much when it should be JNT and the BBC.  But the BBC have a bit of a track record of treating badly, shows which make them lots of money.  I've always liked Sylvester as the Doctor, despite a few truly poor stories.  Both those stories you mention are good entertainment and can I add Ghostlight and Remembrance?  Oddly, Tom Baker is not at the top of the pile for me although 4 or 5 of his adventures rate as among the very best Doctor Who stories - Pyramids of Mars; Talons of Weng Chiang; Horror of Fang Rock; Masque of Mandragora;  Actually, as I write this, I realise there are quite a few more that I really enjoy.  So much for me being decisive.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1108 on: March 30, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »

Without looking them up, I suspect all of the stories you listed were written by Robert Holmes. What a guy!

I liked Colin Baker a lot; but he got ALMOST as much bad writing as Peter Davison (who was absolutely fantastic in CAMPION, showing what he could have done on WHO if he'd ever had even the slightest chance). There's a very long-winded thread at the IMDB titled "The Worst Doctor" where I've learned almost more than I'd care to about what was really going on wrong behind-the-scenes during JNT's long run. It's a shame.

Anyway, I saw an interview with McCoy on PBS before he did his first story. I took to him immediately!  He said, "They brought me in for an interview with the producer. Then they brought me in for an interview with the head of drama. Then they brought me in for an interview with the head of programming. And they hired me ANYWAY."

"TIME AND THE RANI" gets ripped to pieces for so many reasons, and yet, while I agree with most of them, I STILL loved watching McCoy in that story. "DRAGONFIRE", however, is a mess, a case of an "amateur fanboy" writer cramming too many ideas into a single script without any sense of control or logic.  On top of everything else, they got rid of a girl I really liked, in a scene that made no sense at all, and introduced a girl I genuinely HATED.  After that, I never would have guessed how much "REMEMBRANCE OF THE DALEKS" would turn things around for the better.  By the time "THE HAPPINESS PATROL" came along (another fave of mine), I'd really gotten to LIKE Ace.

I recently read a funny story about Andrew Cartmel, story editor on the last 3 years. When he had his job interview, JNT asked what he hoped to accomplish if he got the job. Cartmel said, "I want to bring down the Thatcher administration."  Somehow, THAT got him the job.  Halfway thru his time on the show, "THE HAPPINESS PATROL" was the result.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:21:06 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1109 on: March 31, 2012, 03:44:58 AM »

Just came from The Hunger GAmes. It followed the book very well and was well done. My wife and I both enjoyed it although she enjoyed John Carter much much more. Highly recommended
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1110 on: April 03, 2012, 10:22:15 PM »

Lately:
PLANET OF THE SPIDERS
ROBOT
THE ARK IN SPACE
THE SONTORAN EXPERIMENT
REVENGE OF THE CYBERMEN
TERROR OF THE ZYGONS
 (I really love this last one!)

Tonight:
PLANET OF EVIL

Oh yeah, and yesterday:
THE AVENGERS:  "Man-Eater Of Surrey Green"
(which must be one of the inspirations for THE SEED OF DOOM on WHO)

Funny the kind of stuff you can notice or find put watching old shows, and checking up at the IMDB.  The main scientist in this one later played the main villain in the pilot for THE NEW AVENGERS, "The Eagle's Nest".  Meanwhile, the sweet old lady scientst who came up with the plant-killer, had much earlier played the manager of the hotel frequented by underworld types in THE SAINT IN LONDON (with George Sanders).

It shuld be noted that when THE AVENGERS was starting up, they said they were casting for a "George Sanders type". When I read that, it suddenly "explained" the whole series to me!  (I finally understood who and what John Steed was really all about, as a character.)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:28:21 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1111 on: April 04, 2012, 03:23:20 PM »

Re. Avengers.  The box set of Season 2 has, as an extra, the only surviving episode of Police Surgeon.  This is the series that is mistakenly thought to be the forerunner of The Avengers.  Although it stars Ian Hendry, it really has no other connection with The Avengers. This episode has Michael Crawford as a young tearaway and the story is sub Dixon of Dock Green.         Here's some Dixon of Dock Green:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdNAuDtf7vI

Avengers with Ian Hendry here:-  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90cBE9TUyOw

Terror of the Zygons - Great fun.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1112 on: April 04, 2012, 06:38:45 PM »

That could go either way. Although, officially, and LEGALLY, "Numbr Six" on THE PRISONER is not "John Drake" from DANGER MAN, pretty much everyone assumes he is, except in name.  (To avoid licensing-ownership problems)

So, in theory, the same could have happened with Ian Hendry's 2 nearly-identical Doctor characters. At the very least, POLICE SURGEON inspired the character he played on THE AVENGERS. It cracks me up that George Sanders' version of Simon Templar (as opposed to anyone else's) may have inspired John Steed.

Been reading a very long-winded blog about DOCTOR WHO where the writer looks at the show from a psychological and socialogical way (among other things). I was amused when he described TERROR OF THE ZYGONS as a "critique" of the entire UNIT era, showing just how little sense it all made... but at the same time, being done with so much love and care, that it wound up becoming one of the best UNIT stories anyway. I also got a kick when he described Broton in disguise as the Duke of Forgill as "acting like a Bond villain", even in front of his own men, who know who he really is!

That's the story where Sarah finally loosens up, stops griping ALL the time, and becomes a much nicer person (or, as someone put it decades ago, that's when she starts to be more like Lis Sladen than the "character" created 2 years earlier).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:40:46 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1113 on: April 04, 2012, 07:23:35 PM »

Yes, of course, you're correct.  The episode was as exciting as an empty wardrobe.  As for George Sanders as The Saint being a sort of model for Steed, I have to tell you that I was aware of Steed long before I knew much about Sanders. 
Re. Ian Hendry, have any of you seen him in, "Girl in the Headlines"?  An excellent British b&W crime thriller, which also stars a young Jeremy Brett. Have a look:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KI58hHWNuQ
All this talk of Dr. Who has made me fancy watching some.  I know you mention the best Unit story but I also think a contender is The  Invasion.  And those opening scenes in Web of Fear which is sort of pre-Unit.
Sarah Jane Smith has to be my favourite companion, followed, very closely, by Zoe

Just noticed youtube have this film, a Jack Hawkins classic police procedural, "The Long Arm"  Britain as she was.  Anachronistic but well made and acted.  I have a beautifully re-mastered copy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leLbsFT5rgA&feature=related.  A few other good British films on the page.  For typical Laughs, try, "The Ghost Train"
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1114 on: April 05, 2012, 03:02:59 AM »

I'm pretty sure I saw George Sanders first... as Mr. Freeze on BATMAN!

Sometime later (late '66-early'67?) I saw my 1st AVENGERS episode-- of all things-- "EPIC" w/ Peter Wynegarde and the insane plot to make a snuff film about the murder of Mrs. Peel.  For many years I mistakenly thought it was one of the B&W eps., because I saw it on a B&W TV.  Took forever for me to see it again, and when I finally did, I couldn't believe what i was seeing. Must go down as the "gooniest" color Peel ep. they ever made. (And that's saying a lot.)

Somewhere in the mid-70's I saw THE SAINT STRIKES BACK, my first exposure to Sanders as Templar.  Didn't do anything for me.  Quite a few years later, I came to the realization that of his 5 films, that was by a wide margin his WORST. I became a huge SAINT fan n the 80's, collecting every version on film I could get, and reading a pile of the books.  Only ONE actor ever capturted the character from the original stories-- Louis Hayward. If you watch ...STRIKES BACK you can tell it was written with him in mind. So it has 2 things against it... they tried impossibly to cram what should have been a 2 or 3-hour film into 60 minutes (it's a HORRIBLE MESS!!), and, Sanders does a TERRIBLE Hayward. But in his 2nd film, ...IN LONDON, they adapted a short story, and the dialogue was written specifically to fit Sanders.  (Sort of like Roger Moore in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME)

...IN LONDON is the best of the SAINT films, really captures the whole "world" from the book-- his flat, his M.O., his friends, and has the best Teal ever in Gordon MacLeod.  Sanders is still "wrong" for the part... but he's so GOOD at what he does in this one, you don't mind!  (Again, like Moore in SPY)

Currently watching..

THE AVENGERS  (B&W Mrs. peel season)
THE SAINT  (B&W Roger Moore)
SECRET AGENT
THE UNTOUCHABLES
  (Robert Stack)
ROBOTECH  (Macross Saga)
DARIA

Plus the last week, a complete DOCTOR WHO story each night!  Never did that before.  Tonight:  PYRAMIDS OF MARS.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1115 on: April 08, 2012, 02:18:45 PM »

I just watched the failed pilot 17th Precinct. One of the most imaginative shows that I have seen. I don't know what it would take but a major effort needs to be put forth to have this produced.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1116 on: April 08, 2012, 04:03:44 PM »

Coincidentally, I've also been watching a bunch of, mostly vintage, pilots lately.

I don't have time to go into much about them now but here's a quick rundown

Colonel March of Scotland Yard-actually three pilots shot in Britain in 1952 and starring Boris Karloff as the title character.

Mike Hammer-1958-  Darren McGavin playing Mickey Spillane's tough P.I. a bit lighter then he was in the books.

The Adventures of Superpup-1958-  Aimed at the wee kiddies.

The Adventures of Superboy-1961-  A failed attempt to recapture the magic of The Adventures of Superman.

It's About Time-1966-  Sherwood Schwartz's followup to Gilligan's Island (using some of the same sets and music) was a favorite of mine and my friends in the third grade but didn't catch on with the public in general.

Wonder Woman-1967-  William Dozier looking for a followup success to Batman and failing. 

Batgirl-1967-  Having bombed with Wonder Woman, Dozier had better luck with Batgirl.  With just a slight tweeking she was rolled into the Batman series to give it a little oomph.

The Robinsons:Lost in Space-2004-  Directed by John Woo, of all people, this revival of the popular sixties series is much more serious than the original.

Best

Joe
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:22:12 PM by josemas »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1117 on: April 08, 2012, 06:49:49 PM »

We watched Cowboys and Aliens on dvd during the week and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Actually, the cowboy bits were just as good as the aliens.
Somewhere I have a dvd with failed pilots on it and I seem to remember that there is a Batgirl try out on it.  Same one?  I have to find it.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1118 on: April 08, 2012, 10:12:20 PM »

JOE where did you find It's About Time. I LOVED that show and have not been able to find it since its original run. I have heard that My LIVING DOLL copies have surfaced and would love to see those. Mr. Terrific is another that does have DVD but usually not cheap. I may break down and buy unless someone has one they will lend.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1119 on: April 09, 2012, 12:49:30 AM »

I saw IT'S ABOUT TIME when it was first-run.  I was always under the impression it got to a 2nd season, but many years later found out it apparently switched formats midway thru its one year, from the past to the present. We always preferred the past. I wonder what they might have done if it had lasted longer?

My Dad picked up a favorite line from that show which he used to refer to for many years after...  "KLON-- KILL!!"  He'd say this any time Mike Mazurki turned up in some movie or TV show. (Of course, Mazurki had a part in one of his favorite movies-- SOME LIKE IT HOT.)

I never realized the GILLIGAN'S ISLAND connection. Weird but true: anybody besides me ever connect that GILLIGAN'S ISLAND and LOST IN SPACE ran the SAME 3 years? And I understand both shows were renewed for 4th seasons, but then cancelled after-the-fact, so neither one of them had final "wrap parties".
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1120 on: April 09, 2012, 12:55:24 AM »

I've never seen the Darren McGavin MIKE HAMMER (possibly the only version I haven't seen yet), but I understand he said he had NO interest in doing it, that he was SURE it wouldn't go over with TV audiences, UNLESS it was played with a lot of humor. So he did. It's notable that 25 years later, Stacy Keach's version was done the same way.

Apparently Robert Aldrich's KISS ME DEADLY (with Ralph Meeker), which went completely the other way (and also turned Spillane's P.I. hero into an amoral scumbucket) deeply offended certain portions of the movie-going audience (as well as the censors, who had the film CUT before it got to theatres). Each of the 3 Hammer features in the 50's had something different to reccomend it, but I'm afraid on repeat viewings that KMD begins to remind me of what DC did in the 90's to a few of its longest-running characters.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1121 on: April 09, 2012, 12:57:37 AM »

This past week:

PLANET OF EVIL
PYRAMIDS OF MARS
THE ANDROID INVASION
THE BRAIN OF MORBIUS
THE SEEDS OF DOOM

Tonight:

THE MASQUE OF MANDRAGORA

I have never, ever plowed thru so many of these this fast before!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1122 on: April 09, 2012, 12:58:53 AM »

I never knew the GI connection to About Time but I loved both shows
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1123 on: April 09, 2012, 01:25:02 PM »

I saw the It's About Time pilot on youtube.  Fairly mediocre quality but it is what it is.  It was also split into two or three parts so you'll have to look for them all.  I think they may have a couple more episodes there as well.
Since upgrading to high speed internet about six months ago I've slowly been getting more and more into checking out video stuff online- something that was almost impossible on my old dial-up service.
Anyway I have noticed that on youtube (and elsewhere) some of this stuff comes and goes pretty quickly so if I have time I try to squeeze it into my watching schedule before its gone.

Best

Joe

P.S. Does anyone know if the opening animation for It's About Time was the work of the Jay Ward and Bill Scott.  It certainly reminds me of their work (Bullwinkle and Rocky, Dudley Do-Right, George of the Jungle, etc..)
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1124 on: April 09, 2012, 01:31:24 PM »

I almost forgot.  A DVD set of My Living Doll just came out a couple of weeks ago and is listed on Amazon and elsewhere.  I think it's only half the season though as it's labeled volume one.  I barely remember this series which ran when I was in second grade.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.