in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,838 books
 New: 135 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 717487 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1125 on: April 09, 2012, 02:55:08 PM »

all I remember is loving it at the time
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1126 on: April 09, 2012, 03:25:54 PM »

"Anyway I have noticed that on youtube (and elsewhere) some of this stuff comes and goes pretty quickly so if I have time I try to squeeze it into my watching schedule before its gone."  josemas.
I'm probably trying to teach my granny how to sook eggs here but you can download the youtube stuff to your hard drive or external drive.  I use netvideohunter and it's easy.  Has to be for me.  I've found any number of old British films and tv shows and also things such as Highway Patrol, Man With a Camera.  Some of this stuff just isn't available.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1127 on: April 10, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »

"Anyway I have noticed that on youtube (and elsewhere) some of this stuff comes and goes pretty quickly so if I have time I try to squeeze it into my watching schedule before its gone."  josemas.
I'm probably trying to teach my granny how to sook eggs here but you can download the youtube stuff to your hard drive or external drive.  I use netvideohunter and it's easy.  Has to be for me.  I've found any number of old British films and tv shows and also things such as Highway Patrol, Man With a Camera.  Some of this stuff just isn't available.

I've been thinking about downloading some video stuff to a flash drive for later viewing which is what I used to do at the library with the files at GAC and DCM before I got the high speed service. 
I'm a bit paranoid  about just downloading too much stuff onto my hard drive as it's easy to forget about it and stuff keeps accumulating until you start having problems with your computer because its so full of downloaded clutter.  Something along those lines happened with our last computer and I'm extra protective of our current one.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1128 on: April 10, 2012, 04:47:53 PM »

Checked over on youtube yesterday and found out that they must have around a dozen episodes of It's About Time there.  More than I thought and not bad considering the show only ran 26 episodes.  Any way I watched another episode and then checked around for more TV pilots and found a couple:

T.H.E. Cat-1966-  Anyone remember this one with Robert Loggia as Thomas Hewitt Edward Cat.  A very cool action show that I really liked when I was a kid.  Only ran one season.

Captain Nice-1967-  This was one of the shows that attempted to cash in on the success of Batman.  Superhero stuff played for laughs.  Didn't last long but I enjoyed it then and now.  I do now recognize Buck Henry's influence all over it.  Something which I never caught as a kid.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1129 on: April 11, 2012, 04:18:51 PM »

"T.H.E. Cat-1966-" josemas
Is this the same show which was adapted by Dell?  There were 4 issues in 1967?
There was also Gold Key comic one shot of Captain Nice in 1967.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1130 on: April 12, 2012, 12:34:22 AM »

I think I have all 4 THE Cat and I know I have Cap Nice. Loved that TV show. Found the unaired pilot of Mr Terrific on youtube and watched the Its About Time pilot. Never thought about looking for these on youtube thanks for the hint.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1131 on: April 14, 2012, 02:06:08 AM »

This week:
THE HAND OF FEAR
THE DEADLY ASSASSIN
THE FACE OF EVIL
THE ROBOTS OF DEATH
THE TALONS OF WENG-CHIANG
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: "The Talons Of Weng-Chiang"
« Reply #1132 on: April 15, 2012, 12:34:58 AM »

Read some complaints about this story's racism on a blog. Here's my reply...

When I came in, Leela was running thru the sewer, chased by  a giant rat. Perhaps it was the SAME giant rat seen in THE NEW AVENGERS episode, "GNAWS"? Anyway, NA got here before DW. I was so enamored of Sarah-Jane at the time, when the rat grabbed Leela, I remember yelling at the TV, "Yeah! Yeah! GET her!!" I doubt I'd have said that about Sarah... or Purdey.

So this one took me a bit to figure out. Come to think of it, the 2nd time I saw it, I came in at the beginning of Part 2, when that hatchet was thrown at Tom Baker. This sort of thing can be maddening. Certain stories over the years I've seen myself missing the beginning, then, on repeat viewing, missing a bit LESS of the beginning, until, eventually, I do see the beginning. Strange phenomena. (With TCM, I eventually started going to their website and compiling a month-long list of films I might want to see. That way, I could actually manage to have the tv set on to that channel before the movie started.)

I have never had a problem with this story. Ever. Maybe because I understand the traditions of the story, and just thoroughly enjoy them as they are?

In the early-to-mid 70's, comic-book writer Doug Moench said he had great difficulty, while writing MASTER OF KUNG FU, of dealing with the main character Shang-Chi's origins. Because Shang's father was none other than Dr. Fu Manchu. To this day, I still have trouble understanding this. Fu Manchu, in my eyes, does not represent ALL Chinese. He is what he is-- a SUPER-VILLAIN who just happens to be Chinese. Oh, yes, and he's very racist about it.

But then, so was Sir Denis Nayland Smith, at least, if you've ever seen the 1933 MGM film THE MASK OF FU MANCHU. I understand that film went out of its way to be as "sensationalistic" as possible-- including its racism-- far more, in fact, than the book it was adapted from!

Having read the 1951 comic-book adaptation of the same story, with art by Wally Wood, one can see far more civility and mutual respect between Fu and Sir Denis than was on display in that Boris Karloff movie. Of course, the comic had Fu raising an army of bloodthirsty racist ARABS, while the movie had an army of bloodthirtsy racist ASIANS. (Anyone know which it was in the novel?)

A stranger-but-true thing about the MGM film was, while many "pre-Code" films vanished or were heavily censored once the Hayes Office began enforcing The Production Code (late-'35-early'36), MASK remained intact-- until the mid-70's, when Asian groups complained and the film's most excessively racist dialogue was removed. But then, some years later, it was put back-- except, from an inferior source. So while, in its current form, the film looks pristene and clean as if it were "made yesterday", every time the "offensive" stuff comes up, both the picture and sound quality DROP. In those moments, it's like watching a kinescope film copy of DOCTOR WHO that's been returned from overseas. "Do you want women like this one for your brides? Then KILL the white man-- and TAKE his women!" Ohhhh... what a movie!

It'd be interesting to hear opinions about various "Blaxploitation" films of the early-mid 70's, which were often every bit as "offensive" to all sides involved. "What is this BLACK thing, Shaft? YOU ain't so BLACK!" "And you ain't so WHITE, baby!"

I'd never actually noticed that Litefoot and Jago represented BOTH the book Watson AND the Nigel Bruce variety, side-by-side! Now that is clever. Just saw Christopher Benjamin in "Koroshi", the only 2-part DANGER MAN ever made, where John Drake tries to stay as far as he can from him (in the exact same way Sean Connery tries to avoid Rowan Atkinson in NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN). Also in "Koroshi" is Burt Kwouk, playing a chauffer who turns out to be a sword-wielding baddy. So... would Lee Sien Chang have been less "offensive" if Burt Kwouk had played him?

I wish the idea of "educating" Leela had continued. She was so good at proving herself better than the people who looked down at her, it was a nice source of humor. Also, considering her "Avengers girl" look in the next story, I wish she'd have visited modern-day England (or maybe swinging sixties London), in something other than a tribute to a Hammer horror film.

You know what we really need? More crossovers like this...

CHARLIE CHAN VS. FU MANCHU
TARZAN VS. FU MANCHU
DOC SAVAGE VS. FU MANCHU

...and the really obvious one...

MR. MOTO VS. FU MANCHU !
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:39:03 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1133 on: April 15, 2012, 03:18:43 PM »

"Blaxploitation" , well, yesterday I returned a copy of Truck Turner- Isaac Hayes and Yaphet Koto - to the friend who lent it to me .  This bloke is a fan of blaxploitation and other seedy genres.  I didn't really enjoy it, not for any racist content that it might have had, more that it just wasn't very good, imo.  But then, I prefer old British b&w movies and the "hip" talk just leaves me cold.
I don't understand why Talons is racist, or considered racist.  At the period in which the story is set, there was a big oriental presence in London and some of it was malevolent.  Talons is simple a great story with some excellent characters.  And you're right about Litefoot and Jago.  There was a lot of speculation at the time that there could easily have been a spin-off.  Shame it never happened.
You're probably not aware of this but, in and around Glasgow, in the mid to late '60's, (actually in the '70's also) there was a huge problem with gangs and one of the most notorious called themselves The Tongs - slogan, "Tongs ya bass"  on walls everywhere.  They and others caused serious mayhem at times.  A rival gang was the Toi and I remember seeing some of their graffiti on a wall in Airdrie - not far from Glasgow and where I was brought up - which said, "too late yanks, TOI rule the moon"
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1134 on: April 16, 2012, 01:03:57 AM »

I watched those movies in the mid seventies when I was in the army. There was a theater off post that would have a double feature. I saw several of the martial arts movies of the time there.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1135 on: April 20, 2012, 08:28:40 PM »

This week...

HORROR OF FANG ROCK
THE INVISIBLE ENEMY
IMAGE OF THE FENDAHL
THE SUN MAKERS
UNDERWORLD
THE INVASION OF TIME

Tonight...  Mary Tamm!  (Or as I now like to jokingly call her, "Hernoine Granger all grown up")
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
TARZAN in the 60's
« Reply #1136 on: April 20, 2012, 09:41:04 PM »

Sy Weintraub's run as TARZAN producer was a strange, mixed bag. When he took over, he continued to "upgrading" of the series, and did so by finally ditching the Weismuller dialogue and having the first "educated" Tarzan since Herman Brix. TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE, as someone online suggested, also feels quite a few years ahead of its time, a lot more "serious" and "gritty", almost as if it were made in the 70's or 80's. The odd thing is, he kept Gordon Scott (who'd already  done 3 features and a TV pilot), rather than re-casting and starting fresh. The effect is that Scott appears, between the earlier features, the TV pilot, and the Weintraub films, to be playing 3 different versions of the same character. In addition to improving his diction, between films his look somehow changed just enough to make him seem a lot TOUGHER. All of a sudden, he's not "Muscle Beach Tarzan" anymore-- he's someone you DON'T wanna mess with!

Scott did 2 films-- one with Anthony Qualye & Sean Connery as the baddies, the other, TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT, with John Carridine & Jock Mahoney as the baddies.  Carridine had probably one of his biggest roles ever in this one, and also plays possibly the NASTIEST S.O.B. of his entire career!  Mahoney, who'd been passed over as Tarzan way back when Weismuller stepped down (I used to think it was when Barker did, but this was even earlier), had starred as THE RANGE RIDER on TV. I wonder how his western fans reacted to seeing him play such a VISCIOUS baddie?

Now this is where it gets real strange. Weintraub kept Scott when he took over, instead of recasting the part where it would seem to make sense.  His first 2 films were very successful. So it's at this point, after 2 successful films, that Weintraub decided-- okay, NOW he wants to recast, to have a "new look" for the ape man. Does this seem NUTS???

Weintraub actually had villain Sean Connery in mind for the role... but he'd already signed for DR. NO.  So, his 2nd villain became his 2nd choice-- Mahoney! 13 years late, Mahoney finally took over the part.  I thought he was fantastic. Scott may have a more impressive physique, but Mahoney is the better actor. Physically, he most reminds me of Herman Brix, but character-wise, he most reminds me of an older, tougher Ron Ely. (Gordon Scott, who was very agreeable to depart the role, went to Europe, and amazingly enough, had even more success doing "barbarian" movies! What a guy.)

Mahoney did 2 films-- both set outside of Africa-- TARZAN GOES TO INDIA and TARZAN'S THREE CHALLENGES.  I liked both films... but on the 2nd one, he got some tropical illness, lost about 40-50 pounds while continuing the shoot the film, and afterward, took a year-and-a-half to recover.  Scott might still have been doing these if not for Weintraub's decision... now, Weintraub had to recast AGAIN!

Going back (more or less) to the "Scott" style of physique, he next cast Mike Henry. While several previous Tarzans had been swimmer, Henry was a football player. It showed, too, as one of his favorite "moves" in fight scenes closely resembled a football "tackle".  He did look, as many have said, as if he stepped out of a Frank Frazetta painting... but compared to Scott or Mahoney, his Tarzan didn't seem quite as intelligent. Somehow, his personality didn't quite fit.  Even so, he did 3 films-- back-to-back!  2 of them, ...VALLEY OF GOLD and ...THE GREAT RIVER, took place in Central and South America (Mexico and Brazil, respectively).  Only ...THE JUNGLE BOY took place in Africa (though it was filmed in Brazil-- go figure).  The first 2 of these had him in regular clothes at the start of the stories, before switiching to loin cloth (and a VERY skimpy loin-cloth, too!). ...VALLEY OF GOLD in particular was promoted as "James Bond of the Jungle", with Tarzan being wrongly described as an "agent" (clearly by people who never actually watched the film).

The idea was to do 3 films in quick succession, followed by a TV series, and release the films during the summer months between TV seasons.  But this went wrong when Henry contracted illnesses and injuries in his 2nd & 3rd films, then sued Weintraub for endangering his health! So at the last minute, he was replaced with Ron Ely, who, in my view, turned out to be a big improvement, as he was possibly the best actor to ever play the part. It just got very odd when, after each of the 2 TV seasons, one of the Mike Henry films was released. I can remember sitting in a theatre back in 1968, seeing the promo for ...JUNGLE BOY, and saying, "That's not the real Tarzan!"

Now here's the other part that must have been confusing.  In ...GOES TO INDIA, he teams with a young Indian boy named Jai, who was bossy and obnoxious for most of the plot.  In ...VALLEY OF GOLD, his young co-star was Manuel Padilla Jr., as "Ramel", a boy from the hidden valley.  The follow-up, ...GREAT RIVER, had Padilla return, this time as "Pepe", the sidekick of the river-boat captain.  In ...JUNGLE BOY, they had Steve Bond (who later went on to be a soap star in the 80's, as well as appearing in an Andy Sidaris flick) as Erik, a boy who was lost in the jungle for 6 years after his father died in an accident.  The TV series had Padilla playing a 3rd role, "Jai", who started out as an orphan living at "The Settlement", but who, after the first 13 episodes, apparently was adopted by Tarzan, and begin to live with him in the jungle, and also dress like him.

You'd almost have thought a story like ...JUNGLE BOY could or should have been the introduction for Tarzan to have a kid sidekick, but "Erik" went back to civilization. And fans of the Tv series must have thought it was odd to see the kid who played "Jai" in a different role (and with a different Tarzan) when ...GREAT RIVER came out in '67.

Adding to the confusion (at least online) is the number of other "feature films" listed which seem to have been released before, during and after the Mike Henry films, all of which were really Ron Ely 2-parter re-edited into features.

The only logical, sensible way to watch these, is to see all 3 Mike Henry films first, as a set, THEN watch the TV series. Even though, really, it's clear they're playing 2 DIFFERENT versions of the same character-- and not just because of the difference in actors.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1137 on: April 22, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »

Nice look at those Tarzan flicks of the 1960s, Henry.  I rewatched the Scott and Mahoney films several years back when TCM ran them in widescreen (which I recommend if you ever get a chance to view them that way) and found that they all held up very well.  They all went up a notch or two in my evaluation of the series and currently are some of my favorites.
I haven't seen any of the Mike Henry films since the seventies and don't remember them very well.  I would also like to see the Ron Ely television series again as my memories of it are that it was pretty good.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1138 on: April 23, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »

Been without cable for 4 years, so any recent TCM premieres I've been missing. Sadly, most of my TARZANs were taped in the early 80's off local channels.  The films were butchered, as was the TV series.

Among other things, would you believe? Both ...GREATEST ADVENTURE and ...JUNGLE BOY got run in B&W, despite their being in color (the commercials on those days were in color-- WTF was going on with that station?).

To add to the stupidity... when I taped the TV series, they were running 2 episodes each Sunday afternoon, back-to-back-- with the "middle" credits cut out, as if they were movies (which they weren't), not so they could run them uncut, just so they could squeeze in even more commercials.  And the really insane thing was, they didn't run ANY of the actual 2-parters!! At the time, all 5 of them were syndicated separately in their "movie" versions, a plague of late 70's-early-80's. No kidding, when I taped STAR TREK, its one-and-only 2-parter, "The Menagerie", was missing.  Lucky thing in that case I managed to tape the "movie" version separately.  No such luck with the TARZANs.

So among other things, I' haven't seen "The Deadly Silence" since the early 70's.  It was my first exposure to Jock Mahoney. He plays probably the NASTIEST villain in the entire TV series!  Also among the missing is "The Blue Stone Of Heaven", with William Marshall as a character who declares himself to be a tribal "god". This was the same year he appeared on STAR TREK.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:30:19 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Doctor Who: "THE ARMAGEDDON FACTOR"
« Reply #1139 on: April 27, 2012, 05:31:50 AM »

I remember having the thought, that in both "TALONS" and "ARMAGEDDON" it felt like it should have been The Master, but wasn't. And frankly, when The Master did turn up in "TRAKEN", I found it very disappointing. The best part, at the time, seemed the visual of Tremas turning into The Master (with a vague resemblance once again to the original), but in retrospect, too many follow-ups were even more disappointing.

By comparison, as of 2 days ago I'm now sorry nobody ever thought to cast Peter Jeffrey as a regenerated Master. With that personality and charisma, he could have equalled Delgado in a way Ainley never did.

Meanwhile, I've always seen "ARMAGEDDON" as one of Mary Tamm's finest appearances. She's absolutely gorgeous in this. And her character and relationship with The Doctor has been coming along so wonderfully, it's easy for me to imagine that exactly how it continued the next season could have happened if she had just stuck around. So why didn't she??? Then again, considering Bob & Dave broke up, and Holmes quit the show, and John Leeson left, and Anthony Read... what was going on just then? Good grief. (And how on Earth didn't they have Cyril Luckham at the end?)

By the way, when The Doctor gets sarcastic with The Shadow about his TARDIS security in part 3, he reminds me of Hartnell again. Shapp, meanwhile, reminds me an awful lot of Bernard Cribbins. Which made me suddenly think, this story might have been fun if Peter Cushing had starred in it.

I did enjoy Drax. Someone suggested he'd have been a good fit beside Colin Baker. Too bad nobody ever thought of doing that!
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1140 on: April 30, 2012, 04:07:09 PM »

Feature films watched the last few weeks.

Without Warning!-1952, The Vampire-1957, and The Return of Dracula-1958 -   Arthur Gardner and Jules V. Levy produced a number of good little programmers in the 1950s-  usually either noirish crime thrillers or monster flicks.  All three films here benefit from location shooting (especially the neglected noir Without Warning!) and solid photography.  In the late 1950s they turned primarily to television production and found success there (primarily with westerns such as The Rifleman, The Big Valley).

Mr. District Attoney-1941-  Fast paced and full of delightful banter between the male and female leads, this adaptation of the popular radio series (and later a long running DC comic) gets my thumbs up.  Peter Lorre appearing as one of the villains helps too.

An American Werewolf in London-1981-  I really liked this werewolf flick when it came out and think that it still holds up pretty well three decades later.

Spaceballs-1987-   I finally caught the one Mel Brooks movie I've never seen (just in time for it's 25th anniversary).  Not bad but nowhere near as good as such classics of his as Young Frankenstein, The Producers and Blazing Saddles.

Sky Rider-1928-  Champion is the dog star of this so-so action picture.  He was one of many Rin Tin Tin wannabes in the 1920s. 

The Adventures of Tin Tin-2011-  I've been a fan of Herge's Tin Tin ever since I discovered him via his serialized adventures in Children's Digest back in the 1960s.  I really enjoyed this Steven Spielberg motion-capture adaptation of The Secret of the Unicorn (which was actually the first Tin Tin story I ever read).  I hope they do more.

Conflict-1937-  My first viewing of this atypical John Wayne movie.  Wayne is a member of a group of grifters who run a fake boxing scam which they move from one small community to another.  Interesting little B movie.

Dakota-1945- John Wayne, as a professional gambler, heads a good cast (especially Walter Brennan) through a rather middling script in this Republic A western as he goes up against some town boss baddies (Ward Bond, Mike Mazurki). 

The Spirit-2008-  Too much Frank Miller and not enough Will Eisner.

The Gladiator-1938-  I've been wanting to see this movie based on Philip Wylie's 1930 novel for years.  The novel, about a man who acquires super strength, is supposed to have been an influence on teenagers Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster when they created Superman a few years later.  I've never read the novel (although I vaguely remember reading a Roy Thomas comic adaptation of it years ago) so don't know how close the movie follows the book but suspect they take some liberties as the film is used as a vehicle for Joe E. Brown (who was a popular film comedian of the 1930s).  I enjoyed it but I also like Joe E. Brown comedies.   

Radar Secret Service-1950-  Fast paced programmer has law enforcement using the latest technology (radar, helicopters) to go after the bad guys.  Good cast includes John (Bulldog Drummond) Howard, Ralph (Dick Tracy) Byrd and Tom (Detour) Neal

Derailed-2002-  Not bad, direct to video, Jean-Claude Van Damme action flick set on board a train.  Not as well budgeted as his 90's films but they did well with what they had.

Hot Rod Gang-1958, Hot Rod Rumble-1957-   A perfect 1950s drive-in double feature.  Hot Rods, hot chicks, hoods and Rock n' Roll (in the person of Gene Vincent and his Blue Caps, no less)!

The Viking-1931-  Amazing location shooting on the ice flows of the arctic area give an authenticity to this very basic story of seal hunters.  A very young Charles Starret (years before he played the Durango Kid) has the lead.  Tragically a couple dozen members of the crew were killed in an explosion while shooting additional footage for the film.

Dracula: Pages From a Virgin's Diary-2003-   I was quite impressed with this adaptation of the balletic stage version of the Stoker story.  It's a fairly bare-bones version done very stylistically- shot in black and white with some very effective use of limited color (primarily tinting and toning) and silent (with some limited sound effects and of course a very effective music track). 

Village of the Giants-1965-  If I hadn't caught the opening credits I'd have sworn that this was an AIP movie.  Teens eat wacky food invented by kid genius (Ronny Howard!) and grow and grow and...well you get the idea.  Johnny (Rifleman) Crawford, Tommy (various Disney and Beach movies) Kirk and Beau Bridges play some of the teens and popular singers such as Freddy "Boom Boom" Cannon and the Beau Brummels appear as themselves.  Very loosely based on H. G. Wells' Food of the Gods.

White Oak-1921-  Western with a very Victorian attitude to it starring William S. Hart.

War Horse-2011-  Steven Spielberg's old fashioned and highly enjoyable story of a boy and his horse and a war that got in the way.

Colt 45-1950-  Solid Randolph Scott western beautifully shot in Technicolor.  Alan Hale's penultimate film (he died before it was released).

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1141 on: April 30, 2012, 04:58:10 PM »

Haven't seen any of those films but there are a couple I now fancy.
Last night the 2nd episode of the new series of Vera, starring Brenda Blethyn as DCI Vera Stanhope and based on the character created by Ann Cleeves.  Set in Northumberland, these are bleak, well made police stories and Blethyn is excellent as always.  Good supporting cast.  With any luck they will appear stateside.
We watched Sherlock Holmes, the film version with Robert Downey.  Lots of action, not much of excitement.  Enjoyable enough.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1142 on: April 30, 2012, 08:28:47 PM »

Like Green HOrnet I did not make it far into the Spirit. My wife liked War Horse but I did not. I found it to be trying too hard to pull your heart strings to the point of failing rediculously. Everything was so contrived it drove me crazy.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
KILL AND KILL AGAIN (1981)
« Reply #1143 on: May 01, 2012, 02:41:50 PM »

Whatta ya know?  An entire feature film scored with KPM production music!

I knew something was funny when I heard an excerpt of "I Gotta Get The World Off My Back" (Alan Hawkshaw / KPM 1015), but then at a particularly tense scene, what turns up but "Trap Door" (David Lindup / KPM 1018), a genuine "Spidey" track.

This was the 2nd of 2 films made in SOUTH AFRICA starring James Ryan as martial-arts hero "Steve Chase"-- who just happens to be a dead ringer for the MIKE ZECK version of "Shang-Chi". I'm not kidding!!! Both films have terrific action and a bizarre sense of humor. It's almost like what you'd get if Roger Corman did a kung fu flick.

Anyway, I also recognized at least one other KPM track, but coudln't identify it. Going to the IMDB, I see they have listed Laurie Johnson, Keith Mansfield, Wilbur Hatch, Igo Kantor, Richard Markowitz & Fred Steiner, all for "Composer: stock music".  I'm afraid that so far, the music part of the IMDB listings is so confusing, even I haven't quite figured out how to make additions, since they're obviously missing at least 2 composers (as noted above).

Like "FORCE FIVE" with Joe Louis, the story structure and some of the characters in this rather closely resemble "THE A-TEAM", only with karate. For some reason, the Wikipedia article on the film spends 75% of its time describing a special-effects shot that was later greratly expanded on in the film "THE MATRIX".  Sheesh.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1144 on: May 02, 2012, 02:40:29 PM »

Just a reminder to those of you here in the States.  Most PBS stations will begin running the new episodes of Sherlock this coming Sunday, May 6th. So check your local listings.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1145 on: May 02, 2012, 03:49:15 PM »

Sherlock?  You are all in for a treat and do not, under any circumstances, look at spoilers.  The finale is to die for.
We watched the most recent Big Bang Theory (here, that is) last night - the haircut.  Indigestion from laughing so much.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1146 on: May 02, 2012, 03:58:11 PM »

The Lil Missus has not been much into sitcoms over the past couple decades so in just the last few years I have started getting around to watching sitcoms from 1990-on via DVD.  Coincidentally The Big Bang Theory season one is currently part of my Saturday night/Sunday morning watching schedule.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1147 on: May 02, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »

The last year before my cable was cut off, Kaley Cuoco became the first actress since Lucille Ball (in the late 60's) where I found myself watching her on 3 different shows at the same time!! (her new show, plus reruns of CHARMED and EIGHT SIMPLE RULES)

I genuinely thought THE BIG BANG THEORY was awful when it started, and only watched because of her. But after about 2 months, I was pleasantly surprised when I realized, hey, the writing was improving!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1148 on: May 02, 2012, 08:41:14 PM »

Lately:

DESTINY OF THE DALEKS
CITY OF DEATH
THE CREATURE FROM THE PIT
NIGHTMARE OF EDEN
THE HORNS OF NIMON

Crazy but true: the last 4 of these, each one has ONE actor who seems to think they're on the 60's BATMAN show. (Prof. Kerensky, Lady Adrasta, Tryst, Soldeed) When someone else's acting is so over-the-top they almost make Tom Baker at his goofiest seem like a straight man, something's not quite right.

I pointed out to someone the other day, I never saw "Tryst" as reminding me of "Dr. Strangelove". I'd say he's more like "Dr. Fassbender" (from WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT) --which is even worse. Anyone who's ever seen that film, by the way, I was reading that Fassbender was actually written for Groucho Marx. When I found that out, suddenly, I realized how every single line Peter Sellers had in the film would have been so much funnier if Marx had done it instead.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1149 on: May 03, 2012, 10:10:50 PM »

Mostly been downloading public domain films from the Internet Archive and burning these to DVD to watch on my bedroom TV that has a built in DVD player and VCR.

A member of another board has been offering old VHS tapes for cost of postage so I had him send me a large sized flat rate box full.
The gentleman who had previously owned the tapes turned out to be a special effects artist, and had done the special effects for the 1978 TV movie "Doctor Strange". A tape of Doctor Strange was included in the box along with many seldom seen old sci fi films.
Other tapes from the box that I've recently watched are "the Mummy's Shroud", "Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires", "Horrors of the Red Planet", "the Flame Barrier", and the TV movie "Gargoyles" (not the animated film).

From the Internet Archive I've watched "Sword of Lancelot", "Under Capicorn", "Ikarie" (eastern bloc sci fi classic), "Cold Sweat" (early Charles Bronson action film), and many others.
Suprisingly many made for TV movies and non U S made films of the 70's and 80's were never properly copyright protected.
Same goes for a few big screen classics of the 50's and 60's.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.