in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 716134 times)

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2010, 07:57:01 PM »

I looked it up for you paw broon, Toth art on issue 2-4 of Lawman for your information.

Geo
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2010, 08:41:38 PM »

You can find a few Lawman comics at http://sites.google.com/site/bwesterncowboycomics/ Also a recording of the theme song along with the lyrics. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2010, 09:02:37 PM »

Last night I watched a very strange but somewhat entertaining interpretation of Sherlock Holmes on PBS. It was titled "Sherlock" (what else?) and depicted a modern-day Holmes described as "a highly-functional sociopath". Also an updated  Afghanistan War vet Dr. Watson. The episode was VERY loosely based on "A Study in Scarlet", but you probably wouldn't recognize it as such. Purists will hate it, but if taken on its own merits, it was kind of good. Plenty of small, quirky moments of black humor and fast paced direction kept the story moving right along. I'll probably watch next week's episode just to see how far out of the box they can take this character and still be entertaining. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2010, 09:14:31 PM »

May have give the PBS Sherlock a try
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2010, 01:52:20 PM »

I wanted to watch this new PBS Sherlock but on Sunday it ran opposite one of my wife's regular crime shows so I'm gonna try to catch it when it is rerun later this week.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2010, 03:36:50 PM »

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes has a good SA feel to it. Don't like Iron Man's voice. Hate Wasps uniform. My favorite character is Ant Man I hope they use him more.

Is that the movie or is it a series?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2010, 04:20:48 PM »

Thanks, Geo.
As for Sherlock - you've not been paying attention.  I mentioned this a while ago when it was shown here.  Yes, I suppose some purists will hate it but, and I'm an AC Doyle fan, and I thought it was excellent entertainment.  Cumberbatch is really good as sherlock and Martin Freeman is excellent, as usual. It is a series, albeit of only 3 episodes but they are longer than the usual.  It was so popular in G.B.that a new series has been comissioned.
I trust you took my mention of Whitechapel to heart.  It is seriously good.  We've just finished (last night) the second 3 parter.  While the first serial was about the Ripper and modern day copycats, the new one goes back to the Krays (look them up and be horrified).  Stars Rupert Penry-Jones (Spooks) and the always excellent Phil Davis.  Be prepared though, it's a bit heavy at times.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2010, 05:49:19 PM »

Right again, Paw. You did mention "Sherlock" last summer- I just plain forgot. I'm really surprised PBS got it this quickly- usually we're at least a year behind, sometimes two. We're just now getting the newer episodes of "New Tricks". BBC America did give us "Dr. Who" and "The Inbetweeners", but wasted a lot of broadcast time showing "Star Trek" reruns. I will certainly keep my eyes open for "Whitechapel " and hope that PBS will pick it up. Anything else good coming up? Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2010, 12:43:17 PM »

BTW, PBS is running the Sherlock series here in the U.S. under their Masterpiece Mystery! umbrella title which runs in prime time on Sunday nights in most markets.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #159 on: November 01, 2010, 03:39:07 PM »

Some of this past week's goodies at Movie Night-

Hollywood-1980-Thames--We've been re-watching this 13 part documentary series at Movie Night over the past several months and finally finished up the last episode this week.  The series, produced by film historian Kevin Brownlow, is arguably the best series ever done on the history of film.  It only covers the American film scene of the silent era but does it magnificently!  Stately narrated by James Mason, filled with many interviews of participants of the era-all now long gone, and filled with loads of clips of the films being talked about, the series is always interesting, informative and entertaining.  My initial viewing of this series three decades ago helped further ignite my already growing interest in films and film history and I have re-watched it several times since (I believe this was my 5th viewing of the entire series).   Highly recommended! 

Battling With Buffalo Bill-Chapter 4-"The Savage Horde"-in the "There's Something You Don't See Very Often in a 1930's Kiddie Serial" (or "How Did They Slip That One Past the Censors") department---after a narrow escape from a fierce battle with Indians, Buffalo Bill and his companions stop to catch their breath and gather their wits when actor William Desmond (big stuff during the silent era but now growing long in the tooth and playing mostly supporting roles) decides he can best comfort the lovely and "amply endowed" Lucille Browne by rather obviously...ahem... "copping a feel"...(as we used to say in high school).  To her credit Miss Browne rolls with it (so as not to ruin the take-after all these serials didn't have much budgets and retakes could be costly) and finishes the scene (although we were all betting she slapped him silly as soon as the director yelled "cut"! 

A Film Johnnie-1914-Keystone-1 rl-
Mabel's Strange Predicament-1914-Keystone-1 rl-

The above two films were from Charlie Chaplin's first year in films and were from the recent DVD collection which showcases restored versions of these early films.  We watched these two films in their entirety and skimmed through several others to check out their quality.  We were duly impressed with much of the restoration work (although also noted some unfortunate missed opportunities) but were generally put off by the fact that we felt the films were run at too slow a speed-something which can be deadly for comedy films.  The musical tracks were a mixed bag-some quite good, some less so, but none that were considered gawdawful.

Charlie's White Elephant-1916-Movca-1/2 rl-within two years of his entrance into films people could not get enough of Charlie Chaplin. Chaplin couldn't turn out new films fast enough to satisfy the public so some enterprising individuals got the idea of turning Chaplin into an animated cartoon character (he was also made into a comic strip character-some drawn by E. C. Segar) to try to satisfy this Chaplin-mania.  The trouble was most of these animated adventures of Charlie were pretty awful (as clearly shown in this offering) and pleased neither Charlie, the critics or the public.  Understandably, they did not last very long. 

Spook Spoofing-1928-Roach-MGM-3 rls-The Our Gang (aka The Little Rascals) comedies were one of the longest running (1922-1944) and most popular series of theatrical shorts ever produced, bridging the gap from silent films to talkies (almost) effortlessly.  This late silent entry was a good choice to show with Halloween only a few days away as the Gang spends much of their time in a graveyard. We were also happy to be treated to a rare viewing of the original 3 reel version of the film as many of the prints circulating of it today have been cut down to 2 reels.

Match Play-1930-Sennett-Educational-2 rls-An early talkie from the Mack Sennett Studios,  interesting mainly for the appearance of two actual golf pros (who's names totally escape me now) joining comics Andy Clyde and Bud Jamison for some mild laughs on the links.

Horror Maniacs-(aka The Greed of William Hart)-1948-Another good entry for our Halloween Movie Night was this feature by Britain's chief horror star of the Golden Age of Films-Tod Slaughter!  The film, one of Slaughter's last feature films and based on the lives of notorious grave robbers Burke and Hare, is a very low budget affair.  "How low budget is it?"  you ask.  Well when British censors, for some obscure reason, objected to the use of Burke and Hare's real names in the film the producers had to re-dub throughout the movie wherever the characters were called by name changing the names from Burke and Hare to Hart and Moore.  This slight extra expense completely blew their budget for a film score so the film was released with no score and thus seems even cheaper and older than it actually is.   

Seen at the theaters recently-

Machete--This started out as a faux trailer run during Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarentino's double feature movie Grindhouse a few years back and apparently it generated enough interest to get made into an actual movie.  It's exactly what it tries to be-a low budget, often over the top, exploitation movie-the sort that used to fill the drive-ins in days gone by.  The main difference between those films and this one is the quality and number of stars in secondary roles.  While usual character actor Danny Trejo plays the lead he is supported by the likes of Robert DeNiro, Jesica Alba, Steven Segal, Michelle Rodriguez, Lindsay Lohan, Cheech Marin, and Don Johnson.  If you are at all a fan of exploitation films you'll probably enjoy this!

Devil--M Night Shyamalan wrote (but did not direct) this pretty effective little horror film.  The film has no big name stars (although you'll probably recognize, even if you can't name them, several of the character actors in it) and is fairly low budget.  Worth a watch.

Let Me In--Continuing in the horror vein (it is Halloween month after all) I caught this effective remake of the Swedish horror film Let the Right One In (which I have yet to see but hope to view soon). The film also marks the re-entrance into films of Hammer Films, a company that produced many popular horror films between the 1950s and 1970s.  I won't say much about the story as it might give away too much but I do give it a thumbs up! 

Some DVD collections watched recently-

Adventures of Captain Marvel-1941-Republic-12 chapters--This was my third viewing of this chapterplay since I first saw it back in the early 1980s so it held no surprises for me but I still enjoyed it immensely.   My wife had never seen it before and was initially taken aback by the occasional bouts of ultra violence from the Big Red Cheese (it's based on the very early Whiz Comics stories before Cap's character had been really defined) but she even had to admit that the film had superior special f/x for its time including what were probably the best flying effects until the Superman movie of 1978.

The Lone Ranger-1938-Republic-15 chapters--I have been wanting to see this serial for years so was very happy to find it included on a cheapie DVD collection of mostly television episodes of The Lone Ranger and other television western series.  Unfortunately the quality of their source material was not very good-ranging from barely acceptable down to practically unwatchable!  There's just enough there to let me know that there's an exciting cliffhanger still awaiting for me to view it but this collection is not going to be where I accomplish that.

Black Adder II-1986-BBC-Technically this wasn't a DVD collection but rather a VHS collection that a friend gave me when they upgraded to a DVD collection  but it still contains the second of four short (6 episode) series (plus a few specials) that introduced me to British comedian Rowan Atkinson.  In all of them Atkinson plays a different member on the Black Adder family tree, all of whom appear to have no redeemable qualities whatsoever.  All of the series are set in different historical eras.  This one takes place during the reign of Elizabeth I.  It's been close to a couple of decades since I last viewed these so I have been enjoying them immensely.  They're all cleverly and ribaldly written and Atkinson is very ably supported by some equally talented comic actors such as Tony Robinson, Tim McInnerny, Miranda Richardson, Patsy Byrne, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.  A great bonus for me was the inclusion on this set of Black Adder: The Cavalier Years (set in Cromwellian times) which had originally been broadcast in 1988 on a Comic Relief special and which I had never seen!

Shotgun Slade-I've seen a few scattered episodes of this 1959-1961 (78 episode) series over the past few years on various collections but this cheapie 15 episode collection was my first really fair sampling of the series. 
The series starred Scott Brady, an actor who's film career had never really taken off and whom, by this point, was looking to television for more steady employment.  The most notable thing about the series is its crossbreeding of the western and detective genres with Brady playing western detective Shotgun Slade.  He gets his nickname because the shotgun is his weapon of choice.  If his real first name was ever used I didn't catch it in any of the episodes I saw.
The one other item of note about the series is its use of a jazz score which was very popular with detective series about that time (think Peter Gunn) but which really seems strange on a western series until you get used to it.
If these episodes are examples of the typical writing on the series I'll be kind and say it was "lackluster."  Not even the occasional interesting guest star (Ernie Kovacs, Vitto Scotti, George Kennedy, Alan Hale) seemed to liven things up and while I've heard some people say the series is "so bad it's good", for now, based on this sampling, I'm gonna have to go with a "so bad it's bad." verdict.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2010, 01:51:26 AM »

I remember the first time I say Black Adder. I could not believe how off the wall and funny it was. I did watch it several years later which was a couple of years ago. I did not find it as funny as the first but still funny.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2010, 06:10:43 AM »

Just watched a 1962 SCI FI film called "the Creation of the Humanoids".
The old style color film was a bit degraded, and the sound track a bit buzzy, but all in all a very interesting story.

The Humanoid Robots were fairly well done, and had a sense of humour and irony, with unexpectedly humourous reactions.
Programing was never mentioned, they used the term "circuited" as if everything was a matter of hardware rather than software.

There were some thought provoking discussions on the soul and what humanity really means, and the sum total of individual identity.

I think this may be one of the earliest attempts to introduce artificial intelligence to movie goers in a rational manner. The process by which they download the memories of deceased humans and place these in a robot brain is much like the genesis of the Cylons as shown on Caprica. Many of the same questions come up, and the robots that pass for human don't know that they are not human.

The acting is done more in the manner of a stage play.

PS
Saw the first two Sherlock Eps, very entertaining.

The "Walking Dead" premiere looked promising. I'd read the first episode of this graphic novel online years ago.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

josemas

message icon
« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2010, 11:53:30 AM »

I also caught the first episodes of both Sherlock and The Walking Dead over the weekend and will be back for further episodes of both.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #163 on: November 05, 2010, 03:47:04 PM »

josemas, does the copy of the Lone Ranger serial you have have Spanish subtitles?  Mine has and the reproduction is poor.
Halloween, my wife and I went to The Hippodrome (the first purpose built cinema in Scotland, refurbished and reopened a few years ago by the local council.) to see A. & C. meet Frankenstein.  What a great afternoon's entertainment.  Never seen it on the big screen even though I can act it!
http://www.falkirk.gov.uk/services/community/cultural_services/museums/museum_venues/hippodrome/hippodrome.aspx
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #164 on: November 05, 2010, 04:43:41 PM »

Saw the repeat of Walking Dead of IFC. It was OK but I did not see anything special in it.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2010, 10:52:52 AM »

josemas, does the copy of the Lone Ranger serial you have have Spanish subtitles?  Mine has and the reproduction is poor.

Paw,

My copy of The Lone Ranger serial does not have Spanish subtitles but is also a pretty wretched copy.   It's on a collection called Gun Justice featuring The Lone Ranger from Mill Creek Entertainment.  The collection also includes episodes of such television cowboy shows as The Cisco Kid, The Gabby Hayes Show, The Adventures of Kit Carson, The Roy Rogers Show, Annie Oakley, Judge Roy Bean, Cowboy G-Men and The Lone Ranger.  All of the television episodes that I've looked at so far are of pretty acceptable quality (looking to have been transferred from 16mm syndication prints for the most part).  It is only the serial that looks so poor.  I really can't complain much though as I think it only cost $5.00.  Still it would be nice to see The Lone Ranger serial in a nice copy.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #166 on: November 08, 2010, 11:46:25 PM »

Just watched the "Sherlock" cliffhanger ending- WOW! Very original and effective  portrayal of Moriarty. Hope PBS gets some more. Well, no more Brit mysteries for awhile. Masterpiece Theater is back. I must say I liked it much better when "Mystery" and "Masterpiece Theater" were two seperate entities, instead of having to share a time slot, as they now do. Anyway, the upcoming MT previews did not really strike my fancy so I guess I'll be catching up on my reading Sunday nights. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2010, 01:07:05 AM »

British mini is on DVD called Pillars of the Earth. Pretty good my wife and I are enjoying it. Period piece in the 12th century
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2010, 04:42:52 AM »

Where did you pick this one up, Narf? Sounds interesting. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2010, 05:12:39 AM »

Doctor Who the Fifth Series, just bought it on BluRay.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Pillars of the Earth
« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2010, 11:05:01 AM »

Amazon has it. Stars Ian McShane who I remember from a TV show where he was an antique dealer who solved mysteries. Can't remember the name of the show but wish it would have reruns as I really liked it.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Fond memories
« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2010, 11:09:05 AM »

Are fond memories better to keep than finally getting to watch an old favorite? I loved the program Werewolf that debuted when the Fox Network debuted. Saw a couple of episodes and now think how boring. I so looked forward to getting to see it again now that is shattered. Oh well no big deal just TV series with plenty to watch. I still want to see the old Fox show Beans Baxter which I guess would be something like Cody Banks. It may disappoint me also. I remember the girl's name was Cake and she looked deliscious.
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #172 on: November 15, 2010, 12:15:40 PM »

Lovejoy, right? I can't remember if I used to watch it on PBS or A&E, but I remember the show, and it's available on DVD.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #173 on: November 15, 2010, 03:25:17 PM »

I just finished watching the final episode of the current Sherlock series over the weekend and was wondering if anyone knew if this was the first filmed attempt to put Holmes into a contemporary setting since Universal made those Holmes films in the 1940s (starring Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce) that had a WWII background with Homes taking on various Nazis, spies and saboteurs.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #174 on: November 15, 2010, 03:38:21 PM »

Lovejoy that was it. It was on PBS when I watched it. He plays a very different character on Pillars. Amazon recommends AGORA if you like Pillars. has anyone seen it? It sounds good.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.