in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715814 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #425 on: March 15, 2011, 07:16:10 PM »

I have the DVD's of the Fu Manchu series and they were actually pretty good
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #426 on: March 15, 2011, 10:17:30 PM »

Narf, was this the movie series or the TV series? Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #427 on: March 16, 2011, 02:17:57 AM »

tv series
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #428 on: March 16, 2011, 03:29:55 PM »

Last year I decided to watch my FU MANCHU movies again... in REVERSE order! This way, EACH film is less bad than the one before it.

The really sad thing is, when I started the marathon with THE FIENDISH PLOT OF FU MANCHU, you watch the first couple minutes, and it doesn't seem that bad. And it's obvious, it actually has a BUDGET!  But... oh my God... with every passing minute, it gets worse and worse and WORSE. I mean, I've seen a lot of "bad" movies in my time. Some are actually fun to watch. This ISN'T one of them. It genuinely blows my mind that anyone could possible have written something THAT bad. And, filmed it.

You know, if Harry Alan Towers had that kind of budget, HIS Fu films might have really been something!

Well, it takes a special case to make CASTLE OF FU MANCHU look good-- BY COMPARISON.  And possibly only CASTLE could make BLOOD OF FU MANCHU look like a terrific film-- BY COMPARISON!!

By the time you get to VENGEANCE OF FU MANCHU (with the fabulous Douglas Wilmer), you're actually up to a "TV" budget look and feel. Shame the film is so downbeat and draggy.

That said, BRIDES OF FU MANCHU is my favorite of the 5 Chris Lee flicks.  It was a noticeable step down in budget from the 1st one, but it makes up for it by being a lot more FUN! (If you call dropping an inocent woman into a snake pit and slamming the lid "fun"...) Fu is diaboliocal. Lin Tang (Tsai Chin) is just an incredibly EVIL B****!!! And Douglas Wilmer-- fresh from the SHERLOCK HOLMES tv series, well, he's just my favorite Nayland Smith.  By the way, does anyone here know WHY he didn't do the 2nd season of the SH series? When he dropped out, they tried to replace him with John Neville (from A STUDY IN TERROR), but he either turned them down or was unavailable, and so they wound up weith their 3rd choice-- Peter Cushing!!! (Outrageous, but true.)

Legend has it Harry Alan Towers sunk more money into THE FACE OF FU MANCHU than any other film in his entire career... and when the box-office wasn't as good as he hoped, decided to do the usual hack producer thing and put LESS money into each successive sequel.  (Gee, just like PLANET OF THE APES.)  It's a nice film... it's just a LITTLE on the dull side. And the climax doesn't build up as much as simply arrives.

Of course, the grand finale of this for me was THE MASK OF FU MANCHU. It took me ages to finally see this thing, after reading about it so much in Forry Ackerman's FM.  And it keeps getting better each time I see it!  Boris Karloff is so polite, so cultured, so TOTALLY RUTHLESS. And his "ugly" daughter Fah Lo See (Myrna Loy) is so enthusiastically twisted & kinky. And what about those DEATH-TRAPS!! I love the blatent racism in this film, EVERYBODY comes off badly. I just wish the "offensive" stuff (which was removed, I hear, in the 70's-- then put back later, from an inferior source) were as "remastered" and pristine as the rest of the film. Every time someone goes off the deep end, the picture & sound quality drops for a moment. It's like the STAR TREK pilot when it was reconstructed-- all the previously-missing bits have BAD sound.

My favorite bit has to be...

"Would you like women such as this for your wives? Then KILL the white man-- and TAKE his women!!"

Modern movies have nudity, sex, violence & profanity up the wazoo-- but NOBODY wants to touch material like THIS!

MGM apparently went out of their way, before the Production Code came in, to make the most offensive film possible. And good for them for doing it. My understanding is both Fu and Nayland Smith are MUCH worse in the film than they are in the novel, where at least they have a grudging mutual respect for each other.  This comes across clearly in the WALLY WOOD comic-book adaptation, which I believe was based on the novel, not the movie. The strange bit about the comic is, it takes place not in Mongolia, but the Middle East! Which makes it more "current" than when it came out. Anyone know how it was in the novel?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:35:07 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #429 on: March 16, 2011, 04:07:58 PM »

It's sad that anyone should be objecting to non-Asian actors playing Asian roles. (I liked where one person said nobody seems bothered when Charles Bronson playes Mexicans-- since he's Lithuanian.) At least they're not complaining about Chan being a negative racial stereotype.  I always see him as a GOOD representation of Asians, considering he's always the SMARTEST character in the films, he relentlessly honest, and he's a poster child for "family values".

I remember when some of this hubbub was going on and there actually were some people complaining that Chan was a negative stereotype.  However when anyone from the press actually interviewed any of them in any depth it became clear that none of these folks had ever even watched a Charlie Chan movie!  Sheesh!

As far as I know, the only time Chan was played by an Asian actor was in the 70's cartoon show (which focused on his GRAND-children). Chan was voiced by none other than Keye Luke-- who'd been Lee Chan (#1 son) in the 30's!

Actually Chan was played by Asians in the first three filmings of Biggers' books.

George Kuwa (Japanese) played Chan in House Without a Key (1926).
Kamiyama Sojin (Japanese) played Chan in The Chinese Parrot (1927).
E. L. Park (Korean) played Chan in Behind That Curtain (1929).

As far as I know the first two films are lost.  I have seen the last one.  It's an early talkie and very creaky.  Most notable nowadays for an early appearance by Boris Karloff.

Four of Oland's early Chan films are lost too.  Of his early films only The Black Camel (1931) survives.  Some years back a print did turn up of the Spanish language version of Charlie Chan Carries On (1931) where Chan was played by Manuel Arbo.  It was filmed on the same sets as Oland's English language version.

IIRC, there are also some 1930s & 1940s Chinese made Chan films where Chan is actually played by  Chinese actors.  I only vaguely remember reading about these films though.

I've often thought it might have been fun if at some point someone had done a movie where Charlie Chan crossed paths with Fu Manchu...!

Well, on a side (but related) note, Warner Oland did play both Fu Manchu (for Paramount from 1929-1931) and Charlie Chan (for Fox from 1931-1937).  The two series briefly overlapped for him.  I always thought it would have been neat if he had played both characters in a film.

Best

Joe
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:36:24 PM by josemas »
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #430 on: March 16, 2011, 04:32:30 PM »

Republic's 1940 serial Drums of Fu Manchu is a lot of fun.  Among Republic's best!  It was our weekly serial at my Movie Nights a few years back.  Everyone enjoyed it.

I also just remembered a neat Warner Oland appearance as Fu Manchu. It's in the early 1930s hodge podge Paramount on Parade which has a skit in which Oland (as Fu) meets Sherlock Holmes and Philo Vance!

Best

Joe 

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #431 on: March 16, 2011, 04:46:41 PM »

My first exposure to Fu was a really nice looking hardback of the BRIDES novel. I got it because it was old and in good condition. Unfortunatly not worth a lot because it did not have the dust jacket. But I enjoyed having and I read it. I liked it. I got some of the paperbacks and enjoyed reading them also. Not sure which ones I have but I may know where they are. I think I may have MASK I will have to look.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #432 on: March 16, 2011, 08:58:46 PM »

josemas wrote:
"George Kuwa (Japanese) played Chan in House Without a Key (1926).
Kamiyama Sojin (Japanese) played Chan in The Chinese Parrot (1927).
E. L. Park (Korean) played Chan in Behind That Curtain (1929)."

Now how did I forget this? I typed up a list of these DECADES ago.

Would it be accurate to say Keye Luke was the first Chinese actor to play Chan? The cartoon series was a sort-of follow-up to the earlier Tv movie with Ross Martin, as both featured the grand-kids. Not sure it was ever shown on the networks, it's possible the cartoon was actually aired first!

"Four of Oland's early Chan films are lost too.  Of his early films only The Black Camel (1931) survives.  Some years back a print did turn up of the Spanish language version of Charlie Chan Carries On (1931) where Chan was played by Manuel Arbo.  It was filmed on the same sets as Oland's English language version."

Been reading about that the last 2 days. It seems both ...IN LONDON and ...IN PARIS were lost at one point. I know LONDON turned up by the 80's, since that's when I taped it off the local station, when they ran it with all the others. Not sure about PARIS, it does seem to me they had a tendency to skip straight from LONDON to EGYPT, so PARIS may have only turned up later.

I found out there were quite a few instances where they filmed 2 versions of early sound films, for different markets, as they hadn't quite hit on the idea of DUBBING them into a different language. I've seen the Spanish DRACULA.  Parts of it are better than the Lugosi version!  A lot of Italian (and Hong Kong) films are shot silent, and EVERYTHING is dubbed. Often they have actors speaking several different languages while shooting, but it doesn't matter, since there's no sound.

Just watched ...IN EGYPT, also taped off the local station. VERY bad print, scratches thru a lot of scenes, and the opening credits looked like they'd been tacked off after-the-fact. Very odd. If I'm to judget by the order of films on these tapes, at the time I got these, Channel 17 appears to have been running them almost AT RANDOM. Sad, incompetence like that, when it's so easy to do it right with just a little bit of research.

Chan is never a "stereotype"... but sadly, "Snowshows" (Stepin Fetchit) IS... and most annoying.

Kinda cool when at the end, Charlie pulls a gun on the murderer-- and his whole demeanor, voice, accent changes just for a moment.

"IIRC, there are also some 1930s & 1940s Chinese made Chan films where Chan is actually played by  Chinese actors.  I only vaguely remember reading about these films though."

Interesting. There are no doubt tons of foreign films of some series that we never get to see here in America. I recently saw posters for some foreign BATMAN films that were probably not legally licenced from DC.

"Well, on a side (but related) note, Warner Oland did play both Fu Manchu (for Paramount from 1929-1931) and Charlie Chan (for Fox from 1931-1937).  The two series briefly overlapped for him.  I always thought it would have been neat if he had played both characters in a film."

Still never seen those films.  Nuts! Personally, I'd have rather seen Oland's Chan facing down Karloff's Fu Manchu.

Or how about Cushing's Sherlock Holmes against Lee's Fu Manchu?

"I also just remembered a neat Warner Oland appearance as Fu Manchu. It's in the early 1930s hodge podge Paramount on Parade which has a skit in which Oland (as Fu) meets Sherlock Holmes and Philo Vance!"

Haven't seen that... but I have seen CRAZY HOUSE, which features a cameo by Rathbone & Bruce as Holmes & Watson. One line is, "I'm Sherlock Holmes. I know EVERYTHING!"
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:04:04 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #433 on: March 17, 2011, 05:14:53 AM »

There were a few Hong Kong movies from the 1990s that are sometimes credited as featuring Charlie Chan as a character, but I'm not so sure if they are really the same Charlie Chan character that we are thinking of, because I've seen one of them called Madam City Hunter, and the character named Charlie Chan has nothing to do with the Earl D. Biggers character even though it is included on the list of movies featuring that character on IMDB.

There are several Filipino movies featuring Batman, a Hindi language Indian movie about Superman (they actually recycled footage from the first Christopher Reeve movie for most of the special effects shots), a Turkish film featuring an evil Spider-Man, in that movie the heroes are Captain America, and the Mexican wrestler Santo. There was also a Japanese Spider-Man TV series and a Hong Kong version of the Green Hornet where the hero bore more of a resemblance to Kato than the Hornet.

Plus there is the infamous Turkish version of Star Wars...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:24:12 AM by Menticide »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #434 on: March 17, 2011, 10:03:29 AM »

"There are several Filipino movies featuring Batman, a Hindi language Indian movie about Superman (they actually recycled footage from the first Christopher Reeve movie for most of the special effects shots), a Turkish film featuring an evil Spider-Man, in that movie the heroes are Captain America, and the Mexican wrestler Santo. There was also a Japanese Spider-Man TV series and a Hong Kong version of the Green Hornet where the hero bore more of a resemblance to Kato than the Hornet.

Plus there is the infamous Turkish version of Star Wars..."  Menticide

Here we are again, on about those really awful but great fun foreign versions of characters we know in different forms.  I'm intrigued by the Hindi Superman and will try to find some trailers. Also the Filipino Bats.  I've previously mentioned the Turkish ones and I do enjoy them.  So many superheroes - so many rip-offs.  The best are the Kilink (Killing) films, where a version of the Italian/French villain rampages around with the most bazarre supporting characters and bad taste plots.  The Italian films of Kriminal, while entertaining, are nowhere near as outrageous as these.  Kriminal was a comic while Killing was a photo comic, if you see what I mean.
There's also the Mexican Batgirl, which I bought at a Glasgow Con. some years ago. And, although I don't have it, there are a series of Turkish Tarzan films.  But more than the rest, I'd love to see the H.K. Green Hornet movie.
You can find Superargo, Neutron, Blue Demon and other superhero movies somewhere on line and I'm embarrassed to say that I can't remember where I downloaded them from.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #435 on: March 17, 2011, 10:10:20 AM »

If you find them again let me know.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #436 on: March 17, 2011, 05:25:52 PM »

"I'd love to see the H.K. Green Hornet movie."

I'm reminded of the day I went to a center-city Philly theatre that had seen better days for a weekend triple-feature.

HONG KONG SUPERMAN -- a H.K. "chop-socky" flick of predictably low budget & quality, but still lots of fun, somehow. Nothing whatsoever to do with "Superman", mind you.

BLACK SAMURAI -- Jim Kelly stars in a film based on a series of novels from the period. Better than the H.K. stuff, but nowhere near the heights of ENTER THE DRAGON.  Still we get to see him drive one of the COOLEST-looking cars I've ever seen (slicker-looking than anything James Bond ever drove!!), and at one point, he gets to use a Bell Rocket Belt (as seen in THUNDERBALL and LOST IN SPACE!).

KATO'S REVENGE -- yes, the highlight of the afternoon, the "main feature", was a film consisting of 3 episodes of THE GREEN HORNET spliced together. WOW.  I hadn't seen the show since it was first-run, and this was about 13 years later, so it was quite a charge. I agree with the attititude that the tv show was one of the most "authentic" translations from one medium to another ever done (radio to TV), especially as I've heard a number of the radio episodes. Van Williams is the epitomy of cool, and Bruce Lee-- WOW. What an ACTOR! He has so little screen time, yet he RADIATES presence in every frame of film he appears in. His Kato is not a sidekick-- it's clear they're partners. And the fight scenes-- WOW! The one that stuck in my head was when they broke into a room and took out several thugs in only a few seconds. With the baddies lying on the floor, Green Hornet pulls down the brim of his hat, and in very determined fashion, walks straight out of the room. Kato, right behind him, looks over his shoulder, and his swaggering body language speaks volumes. Without words, he's clearly saying, "Kicked YOUR asses, didn't we??" Whatta guy!  With all that natural charisma, it is criminal that he was so ignored by Hollywood.

One of these days I gotta see the 2 GREEN HORNET serials from the 40's. I undertand Keye Luke played Kato!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:29:55 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #437 on: March 18, 2011, 05:05:49 AM »

Here's a fight scene from the Hong Kong version of the Green Hornet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfYSNAY4gYg&feature=related

Captain America and Santo vs. Spider-Man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApADy30CK6g&feature=related

Another Turkish wonder, or should I say a super wonder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9oI7Fd3Uec

A similar oddity from India:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_4C7TDyVfs&feature=fvst

How about something completely different from Japan? Actually, this is something that I wish I had a DVD of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcxioU7AMM4&feature=related

The interesting thing about that one is that it actually is an official release, fully licensed, and endorsed by Marvel Comics.

That's enough for now, but trust me, I will return with even more torture...

ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #438 on: March 18, 2011, 05:45:13 AM »

But more than the rest, I'd love to see the H.K. Green Hornet movie.

I used to have a copy of it, but it's one of many movies that I left behind when I moved. Man, do I miss being able to hit Chinatown everyday. If profh0011 still lives near Philly, I can tell him exactly where to rent a copy of it...

Well, that's if the store that I am thinking of didn't decide to dump all of their VHS tapes...
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #439 on: March 18, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »

BLACK SAMURAI -- Jim Kelly stars in a film based on a series of novels from the period. Better than the H.K. stuff, but nowhere near the heights of ENTER THE DRAGON.  Still we get to see him drive one of the COOLEST-looking cars I've ever seen (slicker-looking than anything James Bond ever drove!!), and at one point, he gets to use a Bell Rocket Belt (as seen in THUNDERBALL and LOST IN SPACE!).

The Lil Missus and I have been watching some episodes of the 1970s Saturday morning CBS-Filmation live action sci-fi show Ark II and they use the Bell Rocket Belt in just about every episode we have watched so far.

Bruce Lee-- WOW. What an ACTOR! He has so little screen time, yet he RADIATES presence in every frame of film he appears in. His Kato is not a sidekick-- it's clear they're partners. And the fight scenes-- WOW! The one that stuck in my head was when they broke into a room and took out several thugs in only a few seconds. With the baddies lying on the floor, Green Hornet pulls down the brim of his hat, and in very determined fashion, walks straight out of the room. Kato, right behind him, looks over his shoulder, and his swaggering body language speaks volumes. Without words, he's clearly saying, "Kicked YOUR asses, didn't we??" Whatta guy!  With all that natural charisma, it is criminal that he was so ignored by Hollywood.

I've read interviews with Bruce Lee where he repeatedly comments on the fact they they were always telling him to "slow down" his moves so that the camera could see what he was doing in the fight sequences on The Green Hornet.  The guy was so fast it was unbelievable.

One of these days I gotta see the 2 GREEN HORNET serials from the 40's. I undertand Keye Luke played Kato!

You're correct Keye Luke did play Kato in the serials.  Luke was one of the busiest Asian actors in Hollywood working steadily from the mid 1930s right up until shortly before his death in 1991 (when he was well into his 80s).

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #440 on: March 18, 2011, 10:09:59 PM »

5 for 5... I feel like I'm reliving the spirit of Channel 17 when they used to run 5 series movies in a week.  So far it's...

CHARLIE CHAN IN LONDON
CHARLIE CHAN IN PARIS
CHARLIE CHAN IN EGYPT
CHARLIE CHAN IN SHANGHAI
CHARLIE CHAN'S SECRET

...PARIS and ...SECRET were both nice prints, uncut, no doubt off AMC (back when it was a "real" movie channel, heh). The other 3 were from Channel 17, probably in the early 80's. Somehow, my copy of ...SHANGHAI appears to be missing maybe the first 10 MINUTES! Not sure how that happened.

For ...SECRET, the comic relief was the English butler. One of my favorite character actors, Jonathan Hale, was in this one. He's got such a terrific voice and such expressive eyes. I think whatever I see him in, I'll always think of him as Inspector Fernack, the put-upon NYC detective in the RKO SAINT films.  My fave bits with him were when Templar (Louis Hayward) tries to smooth-talk him into being on his side, and later, when George Sanders keeps finding Fernack standing over YET ANOTHER fresh corpse, and can't help jokingly accuse the COP of being the murderer (even thought he clearly KNOWS the guy didn't do it).  "Oh, Henry..." "Now see HERE! I didn't do THIS!" "Holy cow, Saint, this guy's a mad-dog killer!"  (see THE SAINT TAKES OVER)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:13:30 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #441 on: March 18, 2011, 10:39:23 PM »

The love for these old movies is dying with each successive generation. My 29 year old son is unlikely to watch a black and white movie. Fewer and fewer of my students even know who the three stooges are let alone the little rascals. Maybe in their 50's they will be able to enjoy the oldies. I do not think so though because their will be no notalgia involved that adds to our pleasure.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #442 on: March 19, 2011, 03:16:28 AM »

I suppose that's true for a lot of people, but I've always been an oddball.  Most of the really old movies I enjoy I never saw until decades after they were made, and in many cases, not until I was already in my 30's or 40's. I recall the feeling that James Stewart, for example, is an actor who probably appeals to a more "mature" audience. I never liked him until I started getting older. Then there's Ronald Colman, who I never saw at all until the last 10 years. And then of course there's George Sanders. I first saw him back in 1966 (you can guess where!!), but despite getting hooked on watching and re-watching those SAINT films, he really didn't become a favorite of mine until the last 15 years or so.

Lately I find my increased knowledge and familiarity with a lot of actors allows me to enjoy and appreciate a lot of old movies EVEN more. A good example was AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.  25 years ago (I think), my Dad told me it had an all-star cast.  The only actors I knew in it were Louis Hayward & Barry Fitzgerald (oddly enough, BOTH for SAINT movies!). But by 15 years later, I knew almost every actor in the thing.

Which brings me to tonight's film... TEN LITTLE INDIANS.  Harry Alan Towers (producer) hired George Pollock (fresh from 4 consecutive MISS MARPLE films) to direct this remake, again, with an all-star cast, only this time 1965-style.  It's not bad, though the blaring jazz music makes me wanna throw something at the composer in spots. And some of the acting is excessively over-the-top. But the most outrageous thing may be the climax, where they apparently borrow a page from William Castle by having "FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MOTION PICTURE HISTORY", a "WHODUNIT BREAK"!!

"Do not be surprised by the next thing you see!"  "BLAM!!!"

I suppose one of my favorite bits was Shirley Eaton-- my favorite of all the Connery Bond girls-- having such a big part in a movie.

Actually, there's 2 "Bond girls" in this, but I'm not sure the other one really counts-- since Daliah Lavi was in CASINO ROYALE.

Stanley Holloway, who I now associate with MY FAIR LADY, is also in most of the film. His version of "Blore" seems a bit less dim than the one in the '45 version.

I kept thinking how much Hugh O'Brien resembled Jim Steranko's Nick Fury, except I know that's supposed to be Burt Lancaster (whole different personality).  Then again, he gets into a knock-down drag-out fight with one of the other characters that goes on for two minutes, apparently because someone thought the audience needed a "wake up".  O'Brien is a lot more "macho" and "earthy" than Louis Hayward was, but I guess that goes for the female love interest as well. (Put another way, they DIDN'T actually have sex in the '45 film.)

Apparently, there's a LOT more versions of this than I've seen. Harry Alan Towers alone produced 3 of them! Anybody seen any of the others?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 12:07:53 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #443 on: March 19, 2011, 02:24:42 PM »

The love for these old movies is dying with each successive generation. My 29 year old son is unlikely to watch a black and white movie. Fewer and fewer of my students even know who the three stooges are let alone the little rascals. Maybe in their 50's they will be able to enjoy the oldies. I do not think so though because their will be no notalgia involved that adds to our pleasure.

Unless you are in your late forties (or older) you're unlikely to have been exposed to much in the way of black and white films or television (in the U.S. anyway).

That said, I've run into plenty of younger folks who aren't much interested in watching anything older than say 1980 or 1985.

Remember some years back when Ted Turner started "colorizing" old black and white movies.  He, and others, felt that the  main reason younger viewers weren't watching older movies was because so many of them were in black and white.  They figured that if they added color to those movies they would attract more younger viewers. 

Well they figured wrong.

The main reason most younger viewers weren't watching older movies was because they were......old!  They had little interest in anything "old" (meaning anything more than a few few decades in the past).   Thus Turner and company gave up on "colorization" (which the real old film lovers detested anyway) and concentrated on using their older film library in projects like TCM. 

Now there are just TCM and a few other cable/satellite channels that cater to this diminishing demographic group that does enjoy older films. 
These channels may eventually fade away too but with downloads becoming the thing of the future many (and quite like more) of these older films will probably become available via that channel.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #444 on: March 19, 2011, 03:55:16 PM »

Well here's a rundown on some of what I've been watching the last few weeks-

Movie Nights

The Spider Returns continues to entertain us as our weekly serial.  James W. Horne is always sneaking in little bits of humor.  You have to watch the villain's henchmen to catch the best bits.  In one scene we caught a couple of them playing jacks and in another playing pat-a-cake.  LOL!

We're still working our way through a big collection of early short comedies and dramas that my one buddy recently acquired.  Some examples include-
A Fishy Affair-1913-Keystone, A Fatal Sweet Tooth-1914-Keystone, Smith's Pony-1927-Sennett, His Bitter Pill-1916-Keystone, Hearts and Planets-1915-Keystone, Oriental Love-1917-Keystone, The Revenue Man and the Girl-1911-Biograph, Wanted a Nurse-1915-Vitagraph, Her Awakening-1914-Majestic, and Luke's Movie Muddle-1916-Rolin.

Plus a partial episode of The Danny Kaye Show from 1966 with Danny, Ella Fitzgerald and Buddt Grecco doing a musical number together and Danny doing a funny pantomime skit with Harvey Korman and Joyce Van Patten.  I hadn't seen this show in over four decades so this brought back a lot of memories.

On DVD

Bolt-2008-    The Lil Missus and I watched this Disney animated feature which I thought was one of their better recent (non-Pixar produced) features.

Fantastic Voyage-1966-   The special effects in this still hold up surprising well 45 years later.  Plus Raquel Welch still looks great!

Man in the Vault-1956-   A fairly decent little crime noir film.  IMHO, the ending doesn't work as well as the parts leading up to it though.  Produced by John Wayne's production company- Batjac but with no big stars although Anita Ekberg, Beery Kroeger and Paul Fix were in support.

A drive in triple feature-

Kingdom of the Spiders-1977-   Arachnids go wonky on William Shatner and company.  A variation of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds.  Filmed in northern Arizona.   And no, that's not a spider on Shatner's head- merely one of his early toupees! 

The Mini-Skirt Mob-1968-   AIP biker film in which Diane McBain (Surfside Six) wants revenge on the dude who dumped her for Sherry Jackson (The Danny Thomas Show).  McBain has so much hair spray on her big hair that she doesn't need to wear a helmet when riding her hog.  Patty McCormack (The Bad Seed) plays McBain's little sister.  Filmed in southern Arizona.

Chrome and Hot Leather-1971-   Yet another AIP biker film.  Green Berets come after bikers when one of the guy's little sisters (played by a very young Cheryl Ladd) gets offed by the cyclists.   Peter Brown (Lawman) and Marvin Gaye (the famous soul singer) play two of the Green Berets.  Many laughable bits including all the military guys non regulation hair cuts (I guess AIP wasn't paying them enough to cut their hair) and the way none of the ordinance that the Berets toss at the bikers (which includes grenades, mortars and bundles of dynamite) seems to have much more blasting power than a cherry bomb!  Not filmed in Arizona.

A James Coburn triple feature-
Our Man Flint-1965, In Like Flint-1967 and The President's Analyst-1967-   Three great examples of why Coburn was so popular.  He's at the top of his game in these movies.  The first two are his delightful spoofs of the whole spy craze of the 1960s while the later riffs on so many things from the 60s it would take a page to list 'em.  Just go watch them!

Also finally finished watching the last of The Green Hornet episodes from the SyFy Channel marathon.  I especially enjoyed the episode "Alias the Scarf" with John Carradine.   Also caught Carradine in one of the later Lawman episodes-"The Actor".  I'm now on my second cycle of Lawman trying to catch the episodes I missed the first go round.

Plus the Lil Missus and I have been watching episodes of Planet of the Apes (1974), Voyagers! (1982), Hogan's Heroes (1965), Zorro (1958), The Adventures of Sir Lancelot (1957), Wild Wild West (1965), The Hunger (1997), Star Trek (animated-1974) The Shirley Temple Show (1960) and Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1956).

And this morning I just finished watching a hilarious Three Stooges short-All the World's a Stooge (1941).   The Stooges as dentists-need I say more?

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #445 on: March 19, 2011, 04:32:52 PM »

josemas wrote:
"The main reason most younger viewers weren't watching older movies was because they were......old!"

I don't think I ever quite had that attitude, but even so, it does seem my appreciation for films from before my time increases the OLDER they get! (Especially if I can see GOOD prints. Frankly, in the 70's & 80's, almost EVERY movie and half the TV shows in syndication had BAD, faded, worn-out prints. This was before TV stations switched to videotape-- and later still, DVD. TCM only seems to run movies IF they're available on DVDs.)

"Fantastic Voyage-1966-   The special effects in this still hold up surprising well 45 years later.  Plus Raquel Welch still looks great!"

Saw that again a few years back on TCM. Fun flick, one of those "60's sci-fi epics" that can either be taken as horribly dated, or, just plain fun, depending on your attitude. THIS is the film, of course, that kept Welch out of THUNDERBALL. I often think Donald Pleasence should have been in there, too-- picture him as Kuntze, the nuclear scientist hired by SPECTRE. Then again, I really think Telly Savalas would have made a better Emilio Largo. He's my single favorite Bond movie villain, but he might have been a better "fit" as Largo, the top-level SPECTRE man who's also a man of action. AND, they wouldn't have had to DUB his voice, the way they did with Adolpho Celi (I wonder how many films Robert Rietty appeared in OFF-camera like that?).

I think FANTASTIC VOYAGE would be a perfect double-feature with VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, and not just because of the title.

"McBain has so much hair spray on her big hair that she doesn't need to wear a helmet when riding her hog."

:D

I'm trying to remember where I've seen her recently...

"Yet another AIP biker film."

It's almost surprising AIP didn't do an Edgar Allan Poe biker film... isn't it? (Hey, maybe there's an idea there!)  Didn't they also do THE BORN LOSERS, with "Billy Jack"?  Like a Bruce Lee movie without Bruce-- ex-military guy turned pacifist, who KEEPS giving the bad guys one more chance to clean up their act... until he just can't F****** take anymore. Some baddies are just too stupid and arrogant to live. I didn't care much for the better- know sequels.

"Not filmed in Arizona."

Which raises the question-- was it supposed to TAKE PLACE there?

"Star Trek (animated-1974)"

Watched these again not that long ago. Confirmed my long-held belief. The cartoons, on average, were BETTER than the 3rd season of the original show!!!

"The Stooges as dentists-need I say more?"

"OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW!!!"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:39:45 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #446 on: March 20, 2011, 04:44:06 AM »

Tonight:

THE ALPHABET MURDERS  (1965)

Not-So-Swinging Sixties Poirot     ***

This review may contain spoilers ***

Some years back I was astonished to learn, decades after-the-fact, that THE ALPHABET MURDERS was actually my first introduction to Agatha Christie. I had no idea. I'd seen it on the network (one of their weekend movies, I forget which day). The only parts I could actually remember was the murder in the swimming pool, and the climb on that precarious crane. Everything else, a complete blank. I suppose that says a lot. (My first "real" Christie was DEATH ON THE NILE, which I enjoyed so much, I saw it TWICE in 2 weeks. Again, no clue, no connection that I'd ever seen "Hercule Poirot" before.)

Somewhere in the mid-90's, I taped this film off TNT, and could not believe what I was seeing. There's been a lot of really wild, "crazy" films made in the mid-late 60's, in the wake of THE PINK PANTHER and A SHOT IN THE DARK, and I'd say this definitely fits in that category. The odd thing is it being in B&W. Most of those "insane" films that tended to break all the rules of storytelling were in bold Technicolor.

Inspired by the reviews at the IMDb, and already engaged in re-watching my AC collection in its entirety, I decided to watch this again (3rd time or 4th, not quite sure). Armed with the rather surprising knowledge that this was directed by Frank Tashlin, who not only did Jerry Lewis movies but (more importantly!) BUGS BUNNY and other WB cartoons, I figured I'd give this another shot with a more open mind.

Well, there's good and bad. LOTS of bad (which many others have pointed out), so let me start with that. Tony Randall is all wrong for the part, he's too tall and thin, and he's doing a French accent, not Belgian (which suggests he watched Peter Sellers for research). Ron Goodwin's "French" music is repetitive to the point of annoyance, which is a shame, considering how much I enjoyed his work in the 4 MISS MARPLE movies (all of which I just finished watching again, and all of which have GOTTEN BETTER on repeat viewings).

Something no one else has mentioned, it makes NO SENSE for Hastings to be working for the British Secret Service, OR be concerned with "protecting" Poirot and wanting to keep him safe by getting him out of the country and back to Belgium, by force if necessary. This was the kind of "joke" they used to do in McCLOUD stories when he was out of his territory. But Poirot LIVES in England, not Belgium! This entire "subplot" distracts terribly from the plot, and help to make a confusing story almost impossible to follow. The whole sense of wild, crazy, frenetic storytelling, because of an INEPT script, makes trying to follow the plot a waste of time. But worse, I could easily accept a POIROT film played for laughs. IF it was funny. This ISN'T. I often say, the worst "crime" of a comedy is to NOT be funny. There are a FEW laughs here-- but only a few.

The best moment in the entire film is when Miss Marple & Jim Stringer cross paths with Poirot & Hastings. Not only is she commenting on how "anyone with half a brain could figure it out", when she looks at Poirot as they pass, her SILENT glare says it all without words. An unspoken, "My God, what a BLITHERING IDIOT you are!" Perhaps that goes for the screenwriter.

The look of the film is fine, the camera-work well-done and interesting. But for me, the highlight is the cast, so many wonderful characters actors I recognize from other things. Robert Morley (MURDER AT THE GALLOP-- perhaps HE should have played Poirot???), James Villiers (FOR YOUR EYES ONLY's snobbish "Chief of Staff", NO WAY I could ever believe that was Bond's "best friend" from the books), John Bennett (THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD and DOCTOR WHO's "The Talons Of Weng-Chiang"), Cyril Luckham (DOCTOR WHO's "White Guardian"), Maurice Denham (DOCTOR WHO's "The Twin Dilemma"), Julian Glover (my 2nd-favorite Bond villain in FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, DOCTOR WHO's "City Of Death" and countless other English TV shows), Clive Morton (DOCTOR WHO's "The Sea Devils"), Patrick Newell ("Mother" on THE AVENGERS and DOCTOR WHO's "The Android Invasion") and even Windsor Davies (FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED, UFO and the voice of "Sergeant-Major Zero" on TERRAHAWKS!).

So, yes, so much talent, but so much lacking in the script department-- the single MOST important element, which needs to be there before anything else is ever considered. It's possible George Pollock may have done better, but it would all depend if he had a say in the writing or not. Again, I'd be very interested in seeing someone actually do a comedy POIROT, if they could do it right. MURDER BY DEATH wasn't it-- and neither is this. Ah well.

Oh yes-- the MOST clever part of the story (which I'm SURE was not in the novel), came up at the climax of the film-- when it was revealed that an apparent suicide WASN'T-- and, that it tied neatly in with the very BEGINNING of the film. Moments like that had me feeling the film ALMOST could have worked as a straight mystery. OR, a comedy. Instead of neither. (Just a year later, one of my favorite TV series of the 60's-- BATMAN-- often suffered from the SAME problem.)
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #447 on: March 20, 2011, 09:29:59 AM »

josemas wrote:
"The main reason most younger viewers weren't watching older movies was because they were......old!"

I don't think I ever quite had that attitude, but even so, it does seem my appreciation for films from before my time increases the OLDER they get! (Especially if I can see GOOD prints. Frankly, in the 70's & 80's, almost EVERY movie and half the TV shows in syndication had BAD, faded, worn-out prints. This was before TV stations switched to videotape-- and later still, DVD. TCM only seems to run movies IF they're available on DVDs.)

Actually while TCM does run a good number of films that are also availalble on DVD they have also run quite a number of Warners, MGM, RKO, Columbia and Paramount films that have never been available on DVD-especially some of the older 1930s-1950s films .

I think FANTASTIC VOYAGE would be a perfect double-feature with VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, and not just because of the title.

A fine pairing- showcasing two of the better 1960s sci-fi films.

"McBain has so much hair spray on her big hair that she doesn't need to wear a helmet when riding her hog."

I'm trying to remember where I've seen her recently...

Last thing I saw her in was in was some cheapie horror film back in the 1990s.

"Not filmed in Arizona."

Which raises the question-- was it supposed to TAKE PLACE there?

No I don't think so.  I was just goofin' on that fact there because it was the only one of those three grindhouse flicks that I recently watched that wasn't filmed in my home state.

"Star Trek (animated-1974)"

Watched these again not that long ago. Confirmed my long-held belief. The cartoons, on average, were BETTER than the 3rd season of the original show!!!

It's certainly better written overall than the original's third season but the live action show does have slightly more animation in it. 
They must have spent so much money on the voice actors and scripts that there was next to nothing left for the actual animation giving it the distinction of being only slightly more animated than Clutch Cargo.

"The Stooges as dentists-need I say more?"

"OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW!!!"

Best bit was when they decided to blast the cement (that they had dumped in) out of the mouth of the poor schmuck they were working on.   It boggles the mind!

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #448 on: March 20, 2011, 12:09:49 PM »

josemas wrote:
"Actually while TCM does run a good number of films that are also availalble on DVD they have also run quite a number of Warners, MGM, RKO, Columbia and Paramount films that have never been available on DVD-especially some of the older 1930s-1950s films."

I miss TCM. I had my cable shut off 3 years ago and haven't been able to afford it since. But 2 months before that, they moved TCM to a "digital-only" channel, which would have cost me MORE than I was already paying. Sheesh.

I'm having Comcast over today to upgrade my internet service, but only because it's absolutely necessary due to my job. (And the company I work for isn't reimbursing me-- so I'm really hoping the change in the way I'll be doing my job pays off the way they hope it will.)

"No I don't think so.  I was just goofin' on that fact there because it was the only one of those three grindhouse flicks that I recently watched that wasn't filmed in my home state."

I kinda figured that. The phrase "Not filmed in Arizona" somehow reminded me of Jules Feiffer describing how in the 30's every comic-book magician had a black sidekick "NOT named Lothar".

"It's certainly better written overall than the original's third season but the live action show does have slightly more animation in it.
They must have spent so much money on the voice actors and scripts that there was next to nothing left for the actual animation giving it the distinction of being only slightly more animated than Clutch Cargo."

Yeah, that's Filmation for you. STAR TREK was a major step UP for them after ARCHIE, the DC superheroes and JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH. I was reading some of the actors would not have been used, except (I think) Leonard Nimoy objected, and said he wouldn't do the show UNLESS they also hired his friends. But they drew the line at just so many, which is how Walter Koenig didn't appear-- but, wound up writing a script instead. There's a FEW 3rd-season episodes I love, but so many that just should have been so much better than they were...

"Best bit was when they decided to blast the cement (that they had dumped in) out of the mouth of the poor schmuck they were working on.   It boggles the mind!"

My Dad's best friend used to work as a trouble-shooter for Pan Am Airlines. Once when he came home to visit, he came over to our house for a barbeque. Thousands of miles the guy had travelled... and he spent half the afternoon indoors on a gorgeous day watching The Three Stooges.

One of my brother's favorite bits involved them digging up someone's yard, broken water pipes, and a cook who spent half the story unable to stand up, he kept falling onto the floor as water kept spraying everywhere.

Decades later, one of my favorite bits on the show WINGS was when Casey Chappel (Amy Yasbeck) discovered Brian watching THE THREE STOOGES... and then told him, "We can't sleep together anymore."
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #449 on: March 20, 2011, 10:15:42 PM »

Being someone who has always been most concerned with story I could easily accept the poor animation in the Star Trek cartoons. I have watched them since but did not originally because I assumed they would be bad because of the animation. I was wrong. Prof if you have good internet then you have hulu available. Lots of old and new movies and TV and it's FREE. You have to put up with advertisements like the pre DVR days but it's FREE. I watched the first episode of WKRP yesterday. They have several Indian movies some bollywood. I have not given them a try yet but plan to.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.