in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715878 times)

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #825 on: September 20, 2011, 03:18:34 PM »

At the theatres lately-

Rise of the Planet of the Apes-   I grew up with the original Apes series and was (and am) a big fan of them.  I was very disappointed with the attempted relaunch a few years ago by Tim Burton (who's main body of work I'm also a fan of) so didn't want to get my hopes up too much for this one. 
I came away pleasantly pleased overall with it. 
It's more or less a reworking of material originally covered in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and actually, to my mind, gives a more plausible explanation for how things came about. 
It seems to have done well enough at the box office to warrant a sequel which I look forward to seeing.

Apollo 18-   From as far back as I can remember in my childhood the space race was being regularly covered on TV and to me astronauts were just as cool as the cowboys and detectives that I also saw on television so I'm always a bit of a sucker for a good astronaut movie (The Right Stuff is a favorite of mine). 
This one just doesn't quite work for me though.  Its got a neat concept- found footage of a secret Apollo mission that shows a mission gone horribly wrong.  However some of the main characters actions don't work for me as they don't seem to ring true for trained, intelligent astronauts.  If it shows up on cable you can give it a watch but I wouldn't rush out to see it.     

The Debt-   Pretty well done story (that bounces back and forth between events of 1965 and 1997) concerning Israeli agents tracking down a Nazi war criminal in East Berlin and what people think happened and what really happened and what has to be done to correct that.  Some nice performances especially by Helen Mirren.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #826 on: September 20, 2011, 04:45:06 PM »

For those of you who enjoy New Tricks, a new series has been announced - at the same time as James Bolam (Jack Halford) has announced he's leaving.  Now I'm worried.  The makers seem to be trying to encourage him to appear in one episode, I suppose so they can write him out on screen.  Who do they get in to replace him?  Will the others want to continue?  I'm starting to sound like a soap.
We've been watching more episodes of Dial 999, with Robert Beatty.  Did you get that in N.America?  Great guest stars incl. last night, William Hartnell - pre Dr.Who.  He was quite menacing. Plus some episodes of 77 Sunset Strip. We'd forgotten how much we used to enjoy them.
I'm surprised some of you enjoy Keeping up Appearances.  I didn't think the humour would travel well but a lot of it is slapstick and that seems to be universal.  So, if you can find it, have a look at early My Family and any of Outnumbered. 
Also, Doc Martin has started again and is again on our must watch list.
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #827 on: September 20, 2011, 04:46:55 PM »

The Spirit (1987 TV Movie)
Justice League of America (1997 TV Movie)
Legends of the Superheroes (1979 TV Show)
The Space Giants (1967 TV Series)
Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot (1967 TV Series)

Legends of the Superheroes recently became available from Warner Archives on DVD.  

I remember The Spirit TV movie but have never seen it rerun since it's initial airing.  

A 1997 JLA movie?  How did I miss that??

I've never seen the two 1960s TV series although the names sound familiar.  I must have read something about them in the past.  Are they Japanese?

Curious

Joe

Yes, both were Japanese series, very similar to Ultraman.

I will have to check Amazon for the Legends disc. I remember it being pretty bad even then, but childhood memory thing.

I never finished watching the Spirit. I watched the first twenty minutes or so, then my friends showed up, and convinced me to go see Robocop with them. I liked Robocop, but would have liked to have finished watching the Spirit too.

The JLA movie was a pilot too.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:49:23 PM by Menticide »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #828 on: September 20, 2011, 05:24:19 PM »

A new television network popped up ... YOUTOO ... offers regular showings of the West-Ward Batman and THE GREEN HORNET!

Check it out.

B.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #829 on: September 20, 2011, 06:05:04 PM »

There were 3 "giant monster" shows from Japan that made it to Philly in the 60's...  ULTRA MAN, THE SPACE GIANTS, and JOHNNY SOKKO AND HIS FLYING ROBOT.

ULTRA MAN was by far the finest. Some people liked to make fun of it in later years, but that was uncalled-for.  It had a sense of humor, but it also had real heart, and was often dead serious. They knew how to mix tragedy & slapstick side-by-side and make it work in Japan, that's for sure!  I only had one problem with the show, and it wasn't the show, it was the bloody tv station running it.  Tradition was, a show would get about 2 runs, average 6 months, then be replaced with something else. Maybe 6 months or a year later, they'd run it again, ditto.  This happened with ULTRA MAN a few times, until, in the 70's, they started running it again... and KEPT running it.  I mean for like 8 straight years without a break.  I'm sorry, I don't care how much I like anything, I want something else! So I eventually got bored and stopped watching.  Well, you guessed it.  By the time I was ready to watch it again, they'd stopped... and HAVEN'T RUN IT SINCE.  Bastards!!!!!

Compare this with SPACE GIANTS, effectively one long serial.  I seem to recall they ran it twice.  PERIOD.  Never since.  WTF???

JOHNNY SOKKO was a riot. From the word go, I saw it as a parody of ULTRA MAN combined with GIGANTOR. And that's saying something.  Little kid with a gun. Baddies acting like gangsters from THE UNTOUCHABLES, and trying to KILL the kid all the time.  The most idiotic giant monsters ever!!  And the main baddies weren't far behind, once "Spider" got killed after about 8 episodes. But there were problems.  Several episodes were clearly,blatently shown out of sequence (there was a lot of continuity on this show). And, when they got to the end of the run-- a mere 25 episodes-- they stopped.  PERIOD.  It's never been seen again.  EVER.  Except for the compilation movie, VOYAGE INTO SPACE (5 episodes including the first 2 and the last 1), which I managed to tape. Seen it multiple times since, but always wishing I could see the entire series.

By the way, I'd swear there's a lot of Jack Kirby influence on JOHNNY SOKKO.  Jerry Mano reminds me of Jimmy Woo, and one of the monsters was very similar to "The Octo-Sapien" Jack came up with for THE HULK. They also use radio-pens like U.N.C.L.E.  What a fun show!

What is wrong with TV programmers????? If they have their way, before long, every station out there will be running the same shows all the time non-stop.  And worse, the same "favorite" episodes non-stop. I picture them eventually narrowing it down to ONE episode of ANDY GRIFFITH, being run 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #830 on: September 20, 2011, 07:00:52 PM »

There were 3 "giant monster" shows from Japan that made it to Philly in the 60's...  ULTRA MAN, THE SPACE GIANTS, and JOHNNY SOKKO AND HIS FLYING ROBOT.

They were still playing them in the 70s, I don't remember if it was Channel 29, or Channel 48, but between those two channels I was watching all three, and more. I'd catch the Shaw Brothers' movies on Black Belt Theater, the Hammer stuff on Creature Double Feature, and regular showings of Marine Boy, Speed Racer, and others on weekday afternoons.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #831 on: September 21, 2011, 03:38:34 AM »

THE TWELVE CHAIRS

A crazed Ron Moody, a very young Frank Langella, an extremely annoying Dom Deluise, and an almost unrecognizable Mel Brooks, in a Russian period piece tragedy / comedy that borders on being a classic "heist" story. And anyone who's seen any of those before the Production Code went away knows, NONE of them ever had happy endings.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #832 on: September 21, 2011, 03:41:40 AM »

I remember ULTRA MAN all thru the 70's (before it just disappeared), but I never found anyone running the other 2 after their initial runs in the 60's.

Ditto MARINE BOY, or any Japanese cartoons in B&W (ASTRO BOY, 8TH MAN, PRINCE PLANET, GIGANTOR).  All gone by the 70's.

I could never understand why SPEED RACER was so popular that they kept running that over and over and over...

SPIDER-MAN was also run NON-NON-STOP thru the 70's. With the 2nd & 3rd seasons completely out of order. Then the newer channel 57 ran it in the early 80s, and that's when I taped it.  Still watching those to this day!
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #833 on: September 21, 2011, 02:13:19 PM »

A new television network popped up ... YOUTOO ... offers regular showings of the West-Ward Batman and THE GREEN HORNET!

Check it out.

B.

I'd love to have that one added to our satellite lineup but I expect we're more likely to get another home shopping network or some such dreck that I'll never watch. 

There are a zillion channels that I have to wade through to get to the few that I actually watch on any regular basis and I every time I hear about some neat new channel it seems we never get it.

Sigh

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #834 on: September 21, 2011, 02:34:57 PM »

We never got any of these Japanese series in Phoenix when I was growing up.  I'm sure I would have loved them as I ate up the Japanese movies like Starman, Godzilla and Gamera.

I do remember seeing a few episodes of 8th Man while visiting my Grandparents in Pennsylvania in the mid 1960s.  I think they came in on either a Philadelphia or Baltimore channel (they were pretty much equidistant from both cities).  

After reading about it in Asian fanzines for years I finally got to see Ultraman when I picked up the first DVD collection a few years back.  

More recently I finally snagged the second Ultraman collection (containing the remaining episodes of the series) as well as another vintage Japanese series -Iron Giant, IIRC (I'm too lazy to run in the back room and double check the title right now) but haven't worked either of them into my watching schedule yet.  
I also picked up a dollar DVD with some 8th Man episodes and some episodes of Prince Planet are included as extras on my Something Weird Starman DVDs.

Best

Joe

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:25:10 PM by josemas »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #835 on: September 21, 2011, 03:02:26 PM »

When I first saw it (and several times since), STAR BLAZERS completely, utterly blew my mind.  Having just watched the first 2 seasons again after a long stretch, I can say the show is STILL absolutely awesome. But you know, it's not the sort of thing I can watch that often. I think it's because the stories are TOO "big", the events too devastating, etc.

I love episode 51 more than I can describe. Seeing a SPACE battleship operating underwater, then flying thru that crystal-clear blue sky toward the apparently unstoppable enemy... wow. But how many times can you watch that ONE story, or that one episode in the middle of a 26-part story?

So, and I realized this almost 20 years ago (when I managed to get ahold of a pair of "best of" tapes), 8TH MAN remains my favorite Japanese cartoon.  It's fun, it's quirky, it's moody, it's sometimes spooky, but it's also sometimes goofy as hell.  Usually, all at the same time.  And where there is a lot of continuity on the show, each episode can still be watched individually. which really makes me wish I had ALL of 'em instead of only 10.
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #836 on: September 21, 2011, 03:32:35 PM »

We never got any of these Japanese series in Phoenix when I was growing up.  I'm sure I would have loved them as I ate up the Japanese movies like Starman, Godzilla and Gamera.

I do remember seeing a few episodes of 8th Man while visiting my Grandparents in Pennsylvania in the mid 1960s.  I think they came in on either a Philadelphia or Baltimore channel (they were pretty much equidistant from both cities).  

After reading about it in Asian fanzines for years I finally got to see Ultraman when I picked up the first DVD collection a few years back.  

More recently I finally snagged the second Ultraman collection (containing the remaining episodes of the series) as well as another vintage Japanese series -Iron Giant, IIRC (I'm too lazy to run in the back room and double check the title right now) but haven't worked either of them into my watching schedule yet.  
I also picked up a dollar DVD with some 8th Man episodes and some episodes of Prince Planet are included as extras on my Something Weird Starman DVDs.

Best

Joe

Iron King, right? I'm only guessing because I bought that one too.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #837 on: September 21, 2011, 03:36:55 PM »

I remember ULTRA MAN all thru the 70's (before it just disappeared), but I never found anyone running the other 2 after their initial runs in the 60's.

Ditto MARINE BOY, or any Japanese cartoons in B&W (ASTRO BOY, 8TH MAN, PRINCE PLANET, GIGANTOR).  All gone by the 70's.

I could never understand why SPEED RACER was so popular that they kept running that over and over and over...

SPIDER-MAN was also run NON-NON-STOP thru the 70's. With the 2nd & 3rd seasons completely out of order. Then the newer channel 57 ran it in the early 80s, and that's when I taped it.  Still watching those to this day!

Well, if they weren't being shown in the seventies there would have been no way that I could have been watching them, I wasn't born until the early seventies. Since I know I saw them, some channel in Philly was showing them then, or perhaps some channel in Delaware. But, someone was showing them.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #838 on: September 21, 2011, 04:06:06 PM »

Paw, you mentioned Doc Martin was back- are these new episodes or reruns? Sorry to hear about James Bolam and "New Tricks". We're about two years behind on the newer episodes. The wife and I are wondering if there will be another season of "Lark Rise to Candleford", her favorite Brit soap. Last Monday was the "Castle" season premiere and tomorrow "The Mentalist" returns. Both well-written and worth watching. Also waiting to see how they butchered the U.S. version of "Prime Suspect"-the trailers were pretty awful! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #839 on: September 21, 2011, 04:19:50 PM »

I just thought I'd note that here in Phoenix we recently lost one of our last remaining Drive-In Theatres- the Scottsdale 6.  The Drive-In's owners, West Wind Drive Ins, were unable to reach a new lease agreement with the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community who owns the 29 acre lot that the Drive-In has operated on for the last three decades.

This leaves the state of Arizona with only two remaining drive-ins, the Glendale 9 on the west side of town (also operated by Wind Wind but on land that they own) which is open year round and the Apache Drive-In near the mining town of Globe which is only open from Spring until Fall.

From what I could find out there were still 374 operating drive-ins in the U.S. in 2010- down from about 4,000 in 1958. 

Now there's one less.

Sigh

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #840 on: September 22, 2011, 03:20:43 PM »

Bowers, our local ITV station, STV, is showing new to us Doc Martin but it might have been screened in England previously.  The first 2 episodes were really good. 
Lark Rise.... seems to have run it's course but we now have Downton Abbey.  Not that keen on it and not a patch on Lark Rise.   We're waiting desperately for both Mentalist and Castle.  Both are must see shows for us.  We've also tried Body of Proof and I like the character but just wish it wasn't quite as sentimental at times.  Rizzoli and Isles (have I spelled that correctly)? has just started and we missed it.  So we'll have to try and catch up on Watch Again. 

We used to get Spectreman here, and I always thought of it as a sort of poor man's Ultraman but it was good fun.  When I was young we had the cartoon, Gigantor, the Space Age Robot and I still remember the song.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #841 on: September 22, 2011, 03:59:34 PM »

Also like Rizzoli and Isles- TNT does produce some really good shows. A far cry from it's humble beginnings over 30 years ago! Who would have thought that showing old sitcoms and even older movies would become such a great cable empire? My favorite feature from the old days of TNT was the newscast. Hosted by Bill Tush (yes, that is an anagram!) and The Unknown Newscaster who wore a paper bag over his head. Also Brother Gold who recited rock and disco lyrics as a sermon. Great and innovative stuff which gave Mr. Turner his well-deserved success. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #842 on: September 22, 2011, 11:26:05 PM »

Speaking of humble network beginnings, FX was very cool. It ran Batman and had shows that talked about what was on. An early host was Jeff Propst of Survivor fame and I got an autographed letter because a comment of mine was read.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #843 on: September 24, 2011, 02:22:14 AM »

This week:

MARGIN FOR MURDER  (Kevin Dobson as Mike Hammer!!)
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA  (Lon Chaney-- and Rick Wakeman!!!)
THE TWELVE CHAIRS  (I may never watch this again)
STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE  (the "expanded" VHS version)
AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT  (again?)
MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL (Again!!!)
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #844 on: September 26, 2011, 05:26:36 PM »

Above the Law (aka Righting Wrongs)-1986-   One of my favorite Hong Kong action flicks from this period.  Starring the very under-rated Yuen Biao who, along with Cynthia Rothrock, Karen Sheppard, Peter Buckingham and Sammo Hung's stunt team do some really serious ass-kicking fights and stunt-work.  Dragon Dynasty's DVD has both endings, a Bey Logan commentary track and recent interviews with Biao, Rothrock and Cunningham.

The Great Ziegfeld-1936-  Lavish MGM musical about the great showman with William Powell great in the title role and excellent support from MGM's "Galaxy of Stars."  A huge hit in its day is still enjoyable to watch to those who like GA musicals.

Crank-2006-   Jason Statham is one of my favorites of today's current action stars.  In this flick he plays a mob guy who has been poisoned and has to keep his adrenalin pumping in order to keep the poison at bay until he can find an antidote.  He doesn't play a very likeable guy in the film but because just about everyone else he comes up against is an even bigger S.O.B. you still find yourself rooting for him.  Moves along at a very rapid clip so you don't really have time to spot all the plot loopholes until it's over.

Captain America-1990-  Finally got around to watching this Cap movie recorded off Syfy's recent broadcast.  Of course it was pan and scanned, edited for content and time (gotta cram in more of the same ol' commercials) so it was hardly an ideal viewing.  That said, it had the look of the relatively low budgeted horror/sci-fi films that Charles Band was also shooting for Empire Pictures in Italy at this time- which may explain why we have Mussolini and his fascists instead of Hitler and the Nazis (and the Red Skull is now Italian too!!).  So-so.

Ride 'Em Cowboy-1932- & The Big Stampede-1932-  The first two entries in John Wayne's B Western series (done for Warner Brothers) were his first starring roles after he flopped when Fox tried to make him a star in the big budgeted The Big Trail (1930).  It would take him the rest of the decade but by the beginning of the 1940s he would be a star.  The six wesetrns that he did for Warners all look good and are made to seem even higher budgeted then they actually were by Warners' judicious use of footage from Ken Maynard's much higher budgeted 1920s western series for First National (a company that Warners had bought out just a few years before).

Rest Stop: Don't Look Back-2008 (uncut version)-  Rather brutal recent horror film which is a sequel to first Rest Stop movie.  I never quite figured it all out as to who was actually a ghost and all.  Probably hoping they me back for another but I'm certainly in no hurry and not really that curious.

Curse of the Aztec Mummy-1957-   We used to get these Mexican monster and masked wrestler playing on TV in Phoenix when I was a kid and I loved 'em because it was like watching superheros going up against monsters!  The masked wrestler in this one is Angel and this film is the second of three in the Aztec Mummy series (All available in a cool DVD collection).

A Throw of Dice-1929-  This big budgeted epic is a German-Indian co-production from late in the silent era.  It was the last of three such films which were all hits in Europe at the time and which helped pave the way for the Bollywood of the future.  Beautifully restored by the BFI.

Get Carter-2000-   Sylvester Stallone's reworking of the Michael Caine hit of the early 1970s.  It's not bad but my dim memories of the Caine original has it paling in comparison (which I must rewatch again soon).  Caine also plays a supporting role in this remake. 

The Whip and the Body-1963-  Another winner from director Mario Bava.  Incredibly atmospheric, beautifully shot and scored tale of murder and subsequent haunting with Christopher Lee and Daliah Lavi in the lead roles. 

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #845 on: October 01, 2011, 05:09:58 PM »

Last night and this morning, Battle of the Planets. I've been on an anime kick lately, after watching a bunch of old Star Blazers, Battle of the Planets was a nice change of place, no complex serialized storyline, just simple stand alone adventures, and a lot of fun.

Tonight, Doctor Who season finale, can't wait...
ip icon Logged

alfje

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #846 on: October 01, 2011, 05:40:51 PM »

Tonight, Doctor Who season finale,

Yep, and right after that Merlin starts again.  ;D

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #847 on: October 02, 2011, 04:03:44 PM »

My wife and I both enjoyed Terra Nova a lot
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #848 on: October 02, 2011, 05:42:14 PM »

Green Hornet --- I tried but I couldn't do it. Horrible movie.
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #849 on: October 02, 2011, 07:36:16 PM »

Green Hornet --- I tried but I couldn't do it. Horrible movie.

Really, that bad? I was thinking about checking it out...
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.