in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715930 times)

Menticide

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #850 on: October 02, 2011, 07:38:41 PM »

Tonight, Doctor Who season finale,

Yep, and right after that Merlin starts again.  ;D

Not the best season closer yet, but that was pretty good, and I'll probably remember that for sometime.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #851 on: October 03, 2011, 01:40:00 AM »

If you can accept GH as a bumbling A-hole you might be able to watch it. I could not.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #852 on: October 03, 2011, 04:32:17 PM »

Lately:

MONTY PYTHON LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL
RETURN OF THE SEVEN
LIFE OF BRIAN
TIME BANDITS
YELLOWBEARD
THE MEANING OF LIFE
STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN
THE BIG BOSS
THE FALCON'S ADVENTURE
FIST OF FURY
WAY OF THE DRAGON
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #853 on: October 03, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »

I think that The Green Hornet movie just started playing on one of the various movie channels (Starz?) that we get so I'll probably check it out but am not expecting much.

Here's how my Fall 2012 television watching has been shaping up so far-

Returning crime shows- CSI, Criminal Minds, and Hawaii Five-O (all CBS shows)

New crime show-Unforgettable (also CBS), Luther (BBC America)

Returning sci-fi- Fringe (Fox), Battlestar Galactica (reruns on BBC America)

New sci-fi/horror- Terra Nova (Fox), Bedlam (BBC America)

Coming up yet later this Fall-  American Horror Story (starting this week), Free Agents (British version-starting next weekend), The Walking Dead (starting later this month),  White Chapel (starting at the end of this month), Bones (returning next month but having an abbreviated season due to star Emily Deschanel's pregnancy), Leverage (returning next month also).

Down the line are special Christmas episodes of Haven, Doctor Who and  (maybe) Warehouse 13

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #854 on: October 04, 2011, 02:33:56 AM »

Haven't seen many movies recently, but have enjoyed some pretty good programs. I'm currently watching Ken Burn's 3-part documentary, "Prohibition", on PBS. Part 2 starts tonight. Also caught Hugh Laurie's New Orleans blues performance as well as a new (to us) Brit series, "William and Mary" with Martin Clunes. Good stuff on PBS this week! Finally got to see the "Doctor Who" finale and loved it. I'm a bit peeved with "The Mentalist" writing staff- no spoilers, but the first two episodes this season just didn't seem up to their usual standard. Not sure where this show is heading. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #855 on: October 04, 2011, 02:44:01 AM »

My wife and I are still enjoying the mentalist but it has become somewhat predictable and mundane. If they do not come up with something new I suspect it will be the last season.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #856 on: October 09, 2011, 04:06:41 PM »

Last week:

GAME OF DEATH
GAME OF DEATH
  ("The footage")
ENTER THE DRAGON
SPELLBOUND
KUNTUCKY FRIED MOVIE
AIRPLANE!
CHARLIE CHAN IN LONDON
BAD CHANNELS
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #857 on: October 10, 2011, 02:23:26 AM »

Just watched STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK.  Funny, all these years and I'm still picking up new stuff.  Until tonight, I never noticed Miguel Ferrer is in this.  He's James B. Sikking's right-hand man.  I got a vague feeling he looked familiar, but when I saw his name in the credits I still was surprised.  I know why it took this long... he STILL HAD HAIR in this one.  (Unless it was a toupee.)  Made him look very different.

Of course, John Larroquette is still completely unrecognizable, despite the modified Klingon make-up actually allowing you to see the actor's faces (UNLIKE the stupid 1st movie where it was impossible) but a couple of his lines, you can almost tell it's his voice.  He's got a great exchange with Kirk...  "I do not deserve to live!"  "Fine. I'll kill you later."  (A take-off on a scene from COMMANDO-- or was there an earlier film both were referencing?)
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #858 on: October 10, 2011, 04:29:41 PM »

Last week:

GAME OF DEATH
GAME OF DEATH
  ("The footage")
ENTER THE DRAGON
SPELLBOUND
KUNTUCKY FRIED MOVIE
AIRPLANE!
CHARLIE CHAN IN LONDON
BAD CHANNELS

I recently snagged a DVD of Kentucky Fried Movie at Big Lots and am really looking forward to seeing it again-it's been years.   Extras on it include Super 8mm movies shot on the set-behind the scenes- which should be interesting too.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #859 on: October 11, 2011, 02:22:40 AM »

I guess I was just in the mood... Just watched the "Al Feldstein & Johnny Craig"
movie again... TALES FROM THE CRYPT. What a cast!

Ralph Richardson
Geoffrey Bayldon
Joan Collins
Chloe Franks
Ian Hendry
Peter Cushing
Richard Greene
Patrick Magee

...and Bach's "Tocatta & Fugue In D Minor" as the theme song!!!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #860 on: October 11, 2011, 11:55:57 AM »

I bought "Earth Dies Screaming" from Amazon.  1964, British, b&w s.f.  with Willard Parker, Virginia field and Dennis Price.  Dopy but odd looking robots and an English village setting.  Most enjoyable.
Pathfinders in Space is due next week, can't wait.  On tv, Doc Martin is seriously entertaining.
I also watched, "Unearthly Stranger" this week.  Another British bw alien invasion chiller. Quite claustrophobic.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #861 on: October 11, 2011, 02:18:17 PM »

I was given a couple of bins of VHS tapes several regular movie tapes and many taped from cable movies and TV programs. I just found a copy of a seldom seen film starring the American action movie and western star Steve McQueen, one of the most popular of American motion picture actors.

The reason this film is seldom seen is that most McQueen fans found the title ( a Enemy of the People) misleading and the content a bit over their head.
McQueen's character is a scandinavian public health officer in the 1880's who discovers that the spring waters feeding the local health spa and resort are polluted by run off from an old tannery.
He attempts to warn the public of the dangers and ends up censored by the town and declared an Enemy of the People. Theres a lot more to it, but you'd have to watch the film to really get the message, which suprisingly is that Democracy doesn't always work if the majority of the people are uninformed and refuse to listen.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

josemas

message icon
« Reply #862 on: October 12, 2011, 04:12:53 PM »

One of the few McQueen films that I've never seen.  I've seen the stills in which he is virtually unrecognizable with long hair and a heavy beard. 

I remember reading at the time that it was a very personal project of McQueen's.  He worked for scale to get the film made but ultimately it was barely released in the U.S. (and then only long after it was shot).  It's based on an Ibsen story (or play).

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #863 on: October 17, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »

This past week...

THE MUMMY  (1959)
A HARD DAY'S NIGHT
THE CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB
THE VAULT OF HORROR
TARZAN THE APE MAN
 (1932)
HELP!
CHARLIE CHAN IN PARIS
THE MUMMY'S SHROUD
BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #864 on: October 18, 2011, 02:17:46 AM »

Just watched the first episode of "Bedlam". Sort of reminds me of "Ghost Whisperer" with a gritty edge to it! I think I'll keep watching this one. Also caught up on this season's "Leverage" episodes. Didn't care for the first few, but they got much better as the season progressed. New mystery on PBS, "Case Histories" with Jason Isaacs. You might remember him as Lucius Malfoy in the Potter series, or the ever-so nasty Col. Tavington in "The Patriot". Fun to see him playing a private-eye divorced dad with a stable of very strange clients. Predictable, but it does have it's moments. (Warning-some of these moments are definitely not for the kiddies!) Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #865 on: October 20, 2011, 10:59:48 AM »

As we've been on holiday for a few days, we've seen hardly any t.v. but on our return, Pathfinders in Space dvd had arrived.  Just had a quick look at disc 1 and I really fancy this. 
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #866 on: October 23, 2011, 05:48:46 PM »

Today's movie:  TARZAN AND HIS MATE.  I had a tape marked "uncut" years back, which came off AMC, but then-- on the 2nd try-- TCM finally ran the version with all the long-missing footage put back in.  It wasn't 2 minutes like they kept talking about, it was more like 20 minutes.  This is only the 2nd time I'm seeing it in this form.

MGM got a 2-picture deal with Edgar Rice Burroughs.  He was so disappointed with earlier films, he wasn't expecting much, but apparently the 1st MGM film with Johnny Weismuller really impressed him.  He felt it captured the wildness of the series, even though it changed so much (no mention of his background or origin, NO education, the entire story of how Jane first meets him, etc.)

You can tell in the dialogue of the 1st film they were already planning the 2nd one.

The 2nd film, structurally, is almost identical to the first-- so typical of Hollywood sequels.  You have the caravan, the native attack, the climb up the cliff, someone falling off the cliff, the arrival of Tarzan, someone in the party trying to kill him, and most of the party getting killed on the way out.

The change was, in the 1st, they spent a lot of time with Jane first meeting and getting to know and fall in love with Tarzan.  In the 2nd, Harry Holt (Neil Hamilton), who fell in love with her, tries to convince her to come back with him, but to no avail.  His partner, shown chasing a married woman early in the film, shows no restraint around Jane, either, and HE winds up trying to kill Tarzan.

The whole point of the 2nd safari was to put together one big enough to just go in, get the ivory, and come out, and Jane promised, this time, Tarzan would protect them.  But it wasn't so easy.

2 ASTONISHING, jaw-dropping scenes, almost back-to-back, involve the Ubangi attacking the safari as they near the Mutia Escarpment.  There's supposedly several HUNDRED porters in the safari, and DOZENS of murderous natives attack, and there's no way to tell how many get killed on both sides!!!

Then, just before they reach the top of the cliff, GORILLAS start hurling boulders down, knocking quite a few porters to their deaths!!  (Even a gorilla or two winds up falling, after they're shot.)  The level of blood-thirstiness in this film is MIND-BOGGLING.  I read somewhere they were deliberately trying to "compete" with the previous year's KING KONG.  It's like whatever happened in the 1st film, it's amped up 10 times in the 2nd.

Then you get to the underwater swimming scene.  Reportedly, 3 different versions of this were distributed to different theatres back  in 1934.  In one, Jane's wearing her usual outfit.  In the 2nd, she's topless.  In the one I now have, she's completely NAKED-- and this scene goes on for 2 whole minutes!!

Things get strange and frustrating when, after having promised them safety, Jane finds out Tarzan REFUSES to help the safari steal the ivory, and orders them to leave without it.  This is when Harry's partner, Martin, decides to kill Tarzan, and claim he died in an accident.  Heartbroken, Jane leads the safari back out... until a tribe of savages, with their own herd of man-eating LIONS, corners the lot.  EVERYBODY gets killed, except Jane, who's rescued by Tarzan just before the end.

This movie just blows my mind.  I can't believe how brutal it is.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #867 on: October 24, 2011, 12:43:28 AM »

MGM The Lion Roared showed the nude Jane scene
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #868 on: October 24, 2011, 02:55:18 AM »

You know something that bugged me today?  Reading IMDB reviews, it seemed like every single person who reviewed that movie just felt they HAD to mention "It wasn't really Jane, it was someone else who did the nude swimming scene".  Also, every single person who mentioned THE APES felt the just HAD to say "obviously men in apes suits".  I saw nothing "obvious" about it.  All I saw were AGGRESSIVELY VIOLENT GORILLAS!  (Oh yeah, and they kept calling them "chimps"-- when they're GORILLAS, for cryin' out loud.)  First, they hurled boulders to knock porters off that cliff to their horrible deaths.  Later, they attacked the "lion eater" tribe, knocking them out of the tress so they'd get eaten by their own lions.

I think too many people are incapable of "getting into" a film and spend too much effort focusing on how it was done.

At any rate, I do believe ...AND HIS MATE was the last time we got to see "the great apes" until GREYSTOKE, where everybody kept making such a "BIG DEAL" about Rick Baker's "most realistic ape suit ever".  I enjoy the fantasy. But young people seem incapable of "working with it".  It's like when you see a stage magician... do you know how DUMB it is for someone to loudly point out, "Oh, IT'S FAKE!"  Well... yeah.  But they're missing the point.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:58:15 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #869 on: October 24, 2011, 01:11:45 PM »

In Phoenix, when I was growing up, one of the local stations ran Tarzan Theatre on Saturday afternoons (right before John Wayne Theatre) so I got to watch and re-watch most of the Tarzan movies multiple times.

The only Tarzan movie I've watched though over the last decade has been the Herman Brix serial The New Adventures of Tarzan (1935).

Your nifty description of Tarzan and His Mate has got me itching to see that one again, Henry.

Now if they'd only find the footage from Tarzan Escapes that was cut before it was generally released and restore it to the film!

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #870 on: October 25, 2011, 02:30:05 PM »

I went in knowing tonight's movie was lousy... and I enjoyed it ANYWAY!

Here's one of the FUNNIEST negative reviews I've read of late, of...

WAR-GODS OF THE DEEP (with Vincent Price!)

http://www.1000misspenthours.com/reviews/reviewsn-z/war-godsofthede...

More thoughts from one of my yahoo groups...

"It sure ain't the cream of the AIP/Price stuff. Disappointing in a lot of ways but still better than Master of the World, which I think is the weakest of the lot."

Really?  I got a copy of that off TCM.  Wish I had a TCM copy of WAR-GODS OF THE DEEP (what on Earth were they thinking changing the title, it's now more commonly known as CITY IN THE SEA, from the EAP poem).  Someone jokingly suggested a film like this would be a lot more fun if the leads had been Doug McClure & Caroline Munro-- and, hey, why not, Terry-Thomas. Someone else (I think) suggested Price took the role TOO serously, and as it wasn't written very well, it came across as bland, and they felt a more over-the-top madman performance would have been better suited.

There's 3 things that bug me about the film.  First, I can't stand totally unreasonable characters.  They try to add some sympathy or pathos to "The Captain" by bringing up his dead wife in the portrait, but for most of the film, it's clear he's just INSANE, as none of his actions in the story make any damn sense at all.  Second, a minor point, but when John Le Mesuir is explaining the escape plan, my mind starts to to shut down.  It's too complicated, and you never get a real sense of how the tunnels are laid out.  Third, and everyone online feels this way, the "chase scene" is the most boring underwater sequence ever put to film.

With all the blatent influences on hand-- 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, MASTER OF THE WORLD, nobody mentioned THUNDERBALL, which came out the same year! That's often knocked for the "boring" underwater fight, but that's a high-speed roller-coaster ride compared to the action sequence in this thing.  Cutting it to the bone would have helped.

I also got very confused when I saw them return to "the temple", as I thought they'd walked from there to the rest of the place (maybe they did and it was blocked off by guards?).  THEN, they find the exit blocked, and decide to get back into the diving suits.  I had to THINK about it too much to understand, WHY are they putting them back on when they just got them off?  But after they leave, the exit apparently becomes un-blocked... or maybe Price knew a different one... as HE walks up a stairway straight to the surface, where he dies of old age in the sunlight, like DRACULA.

Someone else suggested a giant octopus atacking the city might have helped... funny thing, on my tape, I also have Amicus' WARLORDS OF ATLANTIS, which does feature a giant octopus, other giant monsters, AND, Doug McClure!  There's apparently a DVD with both CITY IN THE SEA and AT THE EARTH'S CORE.  Apart from wondering how someone managed to put out one package with both an AIP and an Amicus together, I have a feeling WARLORDS OF ATLANTIS is a slightly better "fit".

"Also I'd say, viz linked review, Masque of the Red Death shows a good movie can be made from a slimline source -- and Pit and the Pendulum -- I think the Poe originals are about 10 pages or something (read them years ago; Pit may be even shorter) -- just vignettes really."

MASQUE is 3 pages.  Amazing!  The FIRST time I saw the film, I thought it was really slow and padded out.  But over the years, it has continued to grow on me, and a few viewings ago (it's really become a perennial for me), I came to think of it as not only a masterpiece, but a genuine "WORK OF ART".

PIT AND THE PENDULUM is also a blast. One friend of mine ranks it as his favorite of the set.  I hadn't realized it at first, but apparently the plot of the film was made up from bits of various POE stories all thrown together.

"Surprising how bloodless Tourneur's direction is..."

Charles Bennett, they say, wrote the screenplay, but, producer Louis M. Heyward, who took over once Corman left, felt the SICK COMPULSION (here we go again) to keep adding and changing the screenplay while they were shooting.  Tourneur was apparently PISSED, and Vincent Price, who had more respect for Bennett AND Tournour, was also not pleased.  Heyward was involved in THE OBLONG BOX, CRY OF THE BANSHEE, MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE, SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN... someone online said every one of his films feel like first drafts, like they just hadn't worked out all the logic of the plots.

This is funny, as the middle of WAR-GODS..., where they're talking with Price and looking out the window over the lost sunken city, began to remind ME of an episode of LOST IN SPACE !  And how many times have I said the 3rd season stories ALL feel like they were shot from first-draft scripts, as if, with just a LITTLE more care, they could have been so much better.

Something only mentioned in ONE review I found, was that David Whittaker ALSO contributed to the script, but apparently, only the odd bits of dialogue, and mostly, the more clever ones.  But this did nothing to help the plot itself.  Whittaker was (if memory serves) the original story editor on DOCTOR WHO, and contributed some scripts during Patrick Trroughton's time on the show.

"Comedy of Terrors, a bit later, I'll defend vigorously"

You'll defend it later? That one was made earlier (I think).  Almost painful to watch in spots, but still good for some sick laughs. "Is there no morality left in the world?"

Final thoughts... the bit where they got from the house on the cliff, down thru a hidden passage, and find the "temple" where someone is about to be executed, seems like it may have influenced INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM.  If so, Spielberg was swiping from a 3rd-rate movie.  Also, the house on the cliff, the hidden passage leading to danger UNDERWATER, also cropped up in "O'RYAN GANG AND THE DEEP SIX", in NEW GODS #4.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #871 on: October 25, 2011, 02:39:20 PM »

josemas wrote:
"Now if they'd only find the footage from Tarzan Escapes that was cut before it was generally released and restore it to the film!"

Strange but true: I read online of how in 1954, TARZAN THE APE MAN and TARZAN ESCAPES were reissued to theatres on a double-bill.  And-- get this-- it was the UNCUT version of TARZAN ESCAPES!

See, there's 3 versions of that film. The original, the studio was not happy with, and so about 90% of it was re-shot from scratch.  No kidding!  the only bit that was left intact, and which they did a lot of tricky re-writing in order to make it fit into the new version, the was the "giant bat attack".  Originally, this took place outdoors, and the characters went into a "forbidden cave" to escape.  In the redo, the "giant bat attack" takes place IN the cave.

This WAS released to theatres!!  However... it seems, although the first 2 MGM films were considered "adult" pictures, THE NEW ADVENTURES OF THE TARZAN promoted the idea that "Tarzan" was for family audiences (despite the incredible violence about halfway thru).  As a result, a lot of mothers and their kids were HORRIFIED by the "giant bat attack", and it wound up being hastily cut from most prints.  It's possible theatres had a choice to run the "long print" or "short print", even as they'd earlier had the choice of Jane swimming clothed, topless of NAKED.

So the UNCUT version still existed as late as 1954.  But when the MGM DVD set was put together, apparently no one involved was aware of this, and never bothered to look for the missing footage!

The absurdity of it is, 40 people go into that cave, 15 come out, and in the edited version that's been on TV ever since, there's no explanation for what happened to the other 25 people.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #872 on: October 28, 2011, 02:43:30 AM »

Tonight:  maybe the WEIRDEST western ever made for TV in the 70's...

KUNG FU  (1972)

This has ALL 3 of Charlie Chan's sons in it!

Tommy -- Benson Fong
Jimmy -- Victor Sen Yung
Lee -- Keye Luke

Plus, a PILE of other "CHAH-NEE" actors, including Robert Ito (later of QUINCY, M.E.) who gets hisself SHOT dead halfway thru.  Also, Philip Ahn, who played the Prince of Saturn in BUCK ROGERS (1939).

Baddies include Albert Salmi (the "space pirate" from LOST IN SPACE) and Barry Sullivan (who I swear SHOULD have played Commissioner Gordon in the 60's, he was a dead ringer for the guy in the comics).

Sadly, this is the only one I have.  I'm missing ALL 3 SEASONS.

But I do have EVERY episode of KUNG FU: THE LEGEND CONTINUES (I think, even though some of them were run out of sequence, and as the show was heavy on continuity, it was obvious).  I also have KUNG FU ("The Movie") from 1985; KUNG FU: THE NEXT GENERATION (1986 unsold pilot reduced to "never happened" status when ...LEGEND CONTINUES came along); THE GAMBLER: THE LUCK OF THE DRAW (features a Caine cameo); David Carridine's SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE appearance as Caine ("The man of the cloth wears not the clothes of the pimp"); and, CIRCLE OF IRON, not related, except the film was written by Bruce Lee and Carridine plays all 4 parts intended for Lee if he'd ever been abvle to raise the money for it in the late 60's.

Now if only I'd have taped that episode of WILD WEST TECH where David took over the show from his departing brother Keith... who played "middle" Caine in the KUNG FU pilot movie.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #873 on: October 28, 2011, 03:18:56 PM »

I remember really being into Kung Fu during its initial run in the 1970s.  With the exception of the SNL episode and The Gambler TV movie I don't believe I ever seen any of those followups or related shows.  I'm pretty sure the original series is out on DVD so may get around to re-watching it again one of these days.

The pilot movie with its Charlie Chan tie-ins sounds especially fun now that I'm much more familiar with the old Chan movies

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #874 on: October 29, 2011, 05:52:17 PM »

The cast-list for the KUNG FU pilot is like a "who's who" of Asian actors in Hollywood at the time.  I have a strange feeling it may have been the 1st time I ever saw Keye Luke. According to the IMDB, about 14 different actors who appeared in the pilot wound up coming back to play other parts later in the series.

It was a shame about the 1985 tv-movie, when I re-watched it years later I realized just how much of it was left hanging, and they never really did a follow-up.  The next year, they filmed the ...NEXT GENERATION pilot, set 100 years later, once more with Brandon Lee, but this time, without Carridine.  While I really liked the 1985 revival film, the 1986 pilot wasn't very good, and I'd say it was a good thing it went unsold.  

By comparison, ...THE LEGEND CONTINUES took the same basic concept, yet added so much to it, I came to love it as much or more than the original series.  (Seems to me Carridine played Caine's grandson in one of those, and great-grandson in the other... but I forget which was which.) Chris Potter (Peter Caine), Kim Chan (Lo Si, alias "The Ancient"), and Robert Lansing (Paul Baisdell) all became favorite characters of mine.  I think the thing I most appreciated about the sequel was that it DIDN'T have "THE FUGITIVE" plotline, either of the hero being on the run from the law, or, searching for someone he never finds for most of the run.  I suspect I'd have enjoyed the original series even more if it had not been doing "THE FUGITIVE" so much.  (Once, with David Jansen, was enough for me...)

For many years, I was under the imnpression that the "supernatural mysticism" seen so often in ...LEGEND CONTINUES had been introduced in the 1985 tv-movie (and before that, on the SNL episode!).  But now I read they had actually introduced genuine supernatural elements in the 3rd season of the original series.  I can't remember what it was up against, but I know that, apart from the opening 2-hour story, I never saw the rest of the 3rd season.  I'm sure I was watching SOMETHING ELSE quite regularly at the same time, and probably intended to see KUNG FU again during the rerun season.  Unfortunately-- infuriatingly-- KUNG FU had no reruns in its 3rd season.  Gee, the same thing they did to THE GREEN HORNET.  I swear, the 3 networks (ABC in particular) often seem to act in very self-destructive ways, when it comes to how they treat their programming.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:03:39 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.