in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 716196 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1200 on: June 17, 2012, 11:32:35 PM »

I love DVR it already knew and was prepared
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1201 on: June 19, 2012, 11:11:57 PM »

Found a strange, yet fun little series tucked away on Syfy- "The Mercury Men". Shot in black and white video, this is a loving homage to 1950s scifi. (And, yes, it does feature  a brain in a jar!) The League battles energy beings from Mercury intent on crashing the moon into the earth. Shot mainly in a parking garage and an office building, this is very low budget but surprisingly entertaining. Episodes last about seven or eight minutes each and I'm not really sure when it's shown. I watched ten episodes on my cable's "On Demand" feature and could see them all back-to-back. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1202 on: June 19, 2012, 11:26:13 PM »

I found The Mercury Men myself sometime last year.  IIRC, it was available for free viewing on Hulu.  I think I put in a plug for it here at the time but can't remember for sure.  I certainly agree it was a lot of fun in the same way that those old serials and 50's sci-fi movies are. Hulu also had some interesting (and often fun) behind the scenes, making of, and plugs for the show available for viewing.

Best

Joe
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:37:26 PM by josemas »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1203 on: June 21, 2012, 02:50:47 PM »

I watched Superman vs The Elite and found it more propaganda than entertainment. If, like me, you blame Superman and Batman for all the deaths caused by Luthor and Joker because S & B did not kill them, knowing what they would do, then you will not like this movie either. Those who would do what is best for the majority always end up being extremist bad guys instead of good guys.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1204 on: June 27, 2012, 11:27:31 AM »

Thanks for the Mercury Men recommendation. Thoroughly enjoyable and look forward to the sequel. Did anyone watch any of the other shows recommended on the Mercury Men Utube location?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1205 on: June 27, 2012, 11:40:20 AM »

"I watched Superman vs The Elite and found it more propaganda than entertainment. If, like me, you blame Superman and Batman for all the deaths caused by Luthor and Joker because S & B did not kill them, knowing what they would do, then you will not like this movie either. Those who would do what is best for the majority always end up being extremist bad guys instead of good guys."  narfstar.

I'm not familiar with Superman vs The Elite but the point you raise interests me.  But, without translating it to real life and staying with comics, I was always surprised at the expectation, historically, in comics, that heroes don't take lives.  I used to worry when reading LSH that this was so stupid at times (desperately trying to remember which Legionnaire accidentally killed a bad guy and was ejected for it).  There would have been big differences in outcomes had superheroes been allowed by the editors to occasionally kill seriously bad guys.  Also, accidents always happen and when you're wielding heat vision, a big mace or sword, lightning bolts, someones going to come a cropper. As I detest the new Luthor as a character, it would have been great had Superman done away with him years ago. I'm curious to hear other opinions on this.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1206 on: June 27, 2012, 02:02:25 PM »

Starman caused something to become heavy and it killed but I think it ended up being an android or something. I believe at one time Superboy was so extreme that he would not kill ANY LIVING THING. Of course this is unavoidable especially with what we know of the microscopic organism we kill by the thousands everyday.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #1207 on: June 28, 2012, 02:50:58 AM »

Been catching up on the latest season of Nurse Jackie.
I've been really, really enjoying it and the series as a whole.  It's like Dexter, rooting for a criminal, but with a perfect cast and no wasted space each episode is a joy.

ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1208 on: June 28, 2012, 03:04:11 AM »

Starman caused something to become heavy and it killed but I think it ended up being an android or something. I believe at one time Superboy was so extreme that he would not kill ANY LIVING THING. Of course this is unavoidable especially with what we know of the microscopic organism we kill by the thousands everyday.

In one of the very first Superman stories it was told that Clark had served as a rifleman in some post WW1 dust up, possibly a South American brushfire war.
After realizing that he was invulnerable to bullets he swore never to take a human life, and never to directly interfere in human wars (other than attempt to prevent war when possible).
Being invulnerable to the earthly weapons normally used in wars his serving as a soldier had proven to have had no meaning, no courage no risk and no real commitment was required of him in such a situation.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1209 on: June 28, 2012, 03:59:49 AM »

Yoc Dexter is only technically a criminal. IMHO he would be a hero. I did not find Nurse J likeable enough to watch
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1210 on: June 28, 2012, 10:53:40 AM »

"I watched Superman vs The Elite and found it more propaganda than entertainment. If, like me, you blame Superman and Batman for all the deaths caused by Luthor and Joker because S & B did not kill them, knowing what they would do, then you will not like this movie either. Those who would do what is best for the majority always end up being extremist bad guys instead of good guys."  narfstar.

I'm not familiar with Superman vs The Elite but the point you raise interests me.  But, without translating it to real life and staying with comics, I was always surprised at the expectation, historically, in comics, that heroes don't take lives.  I used to worry when reading LSH that this was so stupid at times (desperately trying to remember which Legionnaire accidentally killed a bad guy and was ejected for it).  There would have been big differences in outcomes had superheroes been allowed by the editors to occasionally kill seriously bad guys.  Also, accidents always happen and when you're wielding heat vision, a big mace or sword, lightning bolts, someones going to come a cropper. As I detest the new Luthor as a character, it would have been great had Superman done away with him years ago. I'm curious to hear other opinions on this.

Early Golden Age Batman is my absolute favorite run of the character. He had no compunction about ending the life of any bad guy he came across. Also, anyone remember when Captain America went into a guilt fest after shooting someone (in the 1980s I think)...it was a major plot line...which I found stupid given all of the villains Cap sent to an early grave in the 1940s. Its like when Jim Shooter forbid Wolverine to kill...scorpion & frog fable anyone?

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
the KOJAK movies
« Reply #1211 on: June 28, 2012, 12:51:28 PM »

I was in the middle of watching the COLUMBOs in my collection.  I have almost the entire revival run, but very few of the originals. One more to go on the originals before I move on, but I need to dig out more tapes and re-file stuff.

In the meantime, I've been watching KOJAK.  I have absolutely none of the original TV series, but, I have the original 3-hour pilot, and the entire revival series of movies.  The pilot was only ever run once... and not again until after Telly Savalas died.  So I actually saw that last.  I'm not even sure if I taped the 2 one-off movies before or after the brief ABC MYSTERY MOVIE run.  This is the first time I've ever played the tapes back.  So I got to at least see them in the right order this time.

3 so far...  THE MARCUS-NELSON MURDERS (1973), THE BELARUS FILE (1985), and THE PRICE OF JUSTICE (1987).  Man. Are these things INTENSE. Serious to the point of being borderline-depressing. Man. Are they ALL like this???

When THE PRICE OF JUSTICE starts, We learn Kojak, short of being kicked down again (as said in the previous film) or kicked out (as he suspected by the end of the previous film) has been promoted, and put in charge of a "special crimes task force".  Gee. It's like STRIKE FORCE (with Robert Stack) without any sense of humor at all.

Maybe there's a reason I never got hooked on this show in the 70's. I know I watched a handful of episodes. Some shows, you get hooked on... some, not.  Oh well.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1212 on: June 28, 2012, 09:34:52 PM »

I found Kojak and Streets of San Fran as no fun to watch. I found Columbo too formulaic and did not care for it either
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1213 on: June 28, 2012, 11:41:48 PM »

Been following the super-hero "Thou shalt not kill" discussion with interest. I think the decision was not so much character-driven as the simple fact that the Comics Code Authority simply would not allow it! Hence, heroes that killed in The Golden Age, but not in The Silver Age. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1214 on: June 29, 2012, 12:18:36 AM »

I think the Leave It To Beaver and Father Knows Best all's well theme went through comics. Like TV things changed. I think the fact that most comic creators are liberal had a lot to do with the no kill in later years.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1215 on: June 29, 2012, 03:11:00 AM »

tonight:
WISH UPON A STAR  (w/ Danielle Harris)  3rd time I've seen this
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1216 on: June 29, 2012, 03:15:20 AM »

Narfstar:
"I found Kojak and Streets of San Fran as no fun to watch. I found Columbo too formulaic and did not care for it either"

Now, STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO, I remember watching quite a lot. I actually "cast" both Karl Malden and Michael Douglas as characters in the comics I wrote in high school. (Minor supporting characters, but still...)

Although it started out very interesting, COLUMBO got too repetitive-- and slow and dull and infuriating-- the longer it went on. And when it came back, the 1st new year was even worse! But then.. the 2nd new year, Peter Falk took over as co-exec. Producer-- and began to "play" with the format. Suddenly, I thought they were doing the BEST episodes in the show's entire history. What a turn-around!  Patrick McGoodhan's 3rd go as murderer became my favorite episode of the entire run. Even he said he enjoyed himself so much, he was looking forward to doing a 4th one. (Took about 8 years to get around to it, though...)
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1217 on: June 30, 2012, 03:34:08 PM »

I remember watching The Marcus-Nelson Murders back when it first ran (nearly 40 years ago).  I remember that it was based on an actual crime story and was pretty gritty.  I was pretty impressed with it at the time but just never got into Kojak as a series.

The Streets of San Francisco I watched fairly regularly for the first few seasons.  Didn't see much of the last season or two due to a night job I got while in high school.  Haven't seen it at all in the years since.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
THE BIBLE: In The Beginning
« Reply #1218 on: July 02, 2012, 04:30:51 PM »

Last night and this morning, I watched THE BIBLE: IN THE BEGINNING again.  All 3 hours. And you know what? It really is better to split it up over 2 days. It's just too damn long-- and "sombre"-- for one sitting. Especially the story of Abraham (George C. Scott). I finally clocked it today-- the Abraham story is 80 minutes, all on its own. The funny thing is, the movie "ABRAHAM" (with Richard Harris), is 3 hours long-- and seems to go by much faster than those 80 minutes with Scott.

People at the IMDB keep referring to it as a "Hollywood" film, or describing what decisions John Huston made as far as making it. They're missing the point. Huston directed, but this is NOT the director's movie-- it's the PRODUCER's movie. That being Dino DeLaurentis. The thing was filmed in ROME (and thereabouts) and has a pile of Italian actors, side-by-side with the ones from England and America.

I first saw this when it came out in 1966, in a theatre. I was halfway thru 4 years of Catholic school at the time. I remember being thrilled to see the stories brought to such vivid life in a movie, but at the same time, surprised at the overall look. This did not look like any depiction I, as a kid, had seen in books, paintings or "Hollywood" films.  This film looks like CONAN THE BARBARIAN. It's not "fantasy"-- it looks like someone went back in time and filmed it on location in a world that was absolutely PRIMITIVE. The Tower Of Babel is a good example-- it may have been "built", but it's so "rough" in its design, it's mind-boggling. Actually, I keep wondering it they actually built a tower that tall, or if much of it was done with opticals. It looks to me like it wouldn't have been possible for a mere movie to build something that big as a prop, and if they did, it looks like it would have been immensely dangerous to film on and around.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1219 on: July 03, 2012, 12:43:42 AM »

I've seen my share of Biblical epics over the years but some how that one has always eluded me.  Your description of the art direction makes it sound interesting enough to watch for that reason alone.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1220 on: July 03, 2012, 01:21:30 AM »

I may have seen it many years ago but you make me want to check it out now
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1221 on: July 03, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »

Just read Roy Rogers #35 and in 1 story, Roy convinces a gun shy chap that, with practice, he can shoot to disarm, disable without killing and Rogers states that that's what he does.  Immediately after, I read The Activity #6 and that is a completely different comic in every way.  Narfstar, if you haven't already had a look, please try to find it.  Your opinion, after what you said above, would be of interest - not just the deaths, they are soldiers after all, but the "politics", if that's what it is at the end.
We watched, Inspector Hornleigh on holiday, last night and it was great fun.  With Gordon Harker and Alastair Sim.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1222 on: July 04, 2012, 03:46:10 AM »

Tonight:

BATMAN

"Can somebody tell me, what kind of a world we live in, when a man, dressed as a bat, gets all my press??"

I really like this thing. The sad thing is, it's the ONLY one of the feature films I can say that about.

On the other hand, I LOVE the 1943 serial...
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1223 on: July 05, 2012, 03:15:14 AM »

Here we go again...

"Is there no end to your horrors???"

"None.  None whatever."

(Anyone care to take a guess?)
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1224 on: July 08, 2012, 03:47:55 AM »

The last few days...

HOUSE OF USHER
PIT AND THE PENDULUM
THE PREMATURE BURIAL
TALES OF TERROR
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.