in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715829 times)

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1350 on: September 15, 2012, 03:03:40 AM »

Thank you, narf, I'll probably take you up on that. I really do try to be "fair and balanced" myself, even though I already know which way I'm voting - I just don't like hearing my news "on the street" - don't laugh, I've really heard people say that's where they get their news! Well, maybe it is a LITTLE funny -
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1351 on: September 15, 2012, 04:57:01 PM »

Now that we've got our kitchen back in working order, we've got time to catch up on tv, mostly on watch again.  The last ep. of New Tricks was very good and they're managing well with the lack of Jack as this story was well thought out and done.  Doctor Who -dinosaurs in space - was great fun and worth another watch and tonight we get their take on Westworld, or do we?  Person of Interest is keeping up the quality and we both look forward to it.  Actually we're starting to struggle for time to watch all we want to as Dragons Den has started again and The Great British Bake Off continues to be a fun watch - with that nice Miss Perkins of course, and Only connect rolls on while our brains fry trying to work out those fiendish connections.  And we've got Sunday Night Football which means taping the game and watching later.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1352 on: September 15, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »

We used to watch Dragon's Den the the US ripoff of it Shark Tank. Shark Tank started new episodes. I wish the new episodes of Dragon's Den would show here.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1353 on: September 16, 2012, 03:28:13 PM »

Last night we caught the first episode of The Glades. Might just have been entertaining enough to try the next one.  The other cop was Bud from Body of Proof.  I like him.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1354 on: September 17, 2012, 01:27:04 PM »

DIRTY HARRY
MAGNUM FORCE
THE ENFORCER
SUDDEN IMPACT
THE DEAD POOL
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1355 on: September 18, 2012, 01:34:13 AM »

Just watched all of 'The Big C', season 1.
Another great comedy/drama in the vein of Nurse Jackie though not quite as blunt as Jackie can get at time.
Very enjoyable stuff.  Already got season 2 on order.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1356 on: September 18, 2012, 02:59:35 AM »

My wife loved season one but lost interest after starting season two. Let me know how it turns out
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1357 on: September 18, 2012, 07:54:18 AM »

Me and Peg just watched the season opener of BONES - I REALLY wanted Hodgkins to KILL that creepy little computer whiz/psycho killer, maybe, nay, surely, someone else is gonna bump that clown off - I'd do it myself, if I was a character on BONES, that is -
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1358 on: September 18, 2012, 05:22:29 PM »

Week 3 of New Tricks and a new team member?  We were a bit concerned as we watched, whether the writers were indulging in a bit of racial stereotyping or putting the stereotyping in the actors mouths at the start.  You'll see what I mean when you see the episode. We Scots can be a bit concerned when we realise how little some English know about us.  But the story was dark and creepy and the bad guy, well, as unclerobin says, I'd do it myself, if I were a character in New Tricks.
Doctor Who was entertaining enough on Sat. night, in the sections when they got away from the wordy soul searching, that is.  Started well with some funny lines and a great effect for the .............. (other protagonist)  Watch out for the horse. That had us laughing.
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1359 on: September 18, 2012, 08:01:34 PM »

So that Doctor Who (or 'oo as the cockney types would say) just keeps on rolling along, eh? Man, he's been around forever, around fifty years now! I always liked it that when it was time to get someone new to play the Doctor ("play doctor", heh) they could always get someone RADICALLY different every time by making it a part of the storyline. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the Doctor since Tom Baker portrayed him, that was quite a while ago, even for an old coot like me -
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1360 on: September 18, 2012, 10:08:34 PM »

You have missed some great Doctors and stories. They have grown up some but keep the fun
ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1361 on: September 19, 2012, 11:17:40 PM »

So that Doctor Who (or 'oo as the cockney types would say) just keeps on rolling along, eh? Man, he's been around forever, around fifty years now! I always liked it that when it was time to get someone new to play the Doctor ("play doctor", heh) they could always get someone RADICALLY different every time by making it a part of the storyline. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the Doctor since Tom Baker portrayed him, that was quite a while ago, even for an old coot like me -

Yes, I always considered the "regeneration" factor a great device for both the story and the producers!  And not just the Doctor, but any Time Lord. Remember when Romana regenerated, for example.

8)
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1362 on: September 20, 2012, 01:17:48 AM »

My wife and I just watched and enjoyed Equilibrium. Only listed as one star, not sure why. We thought it was unique and very interesting.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1363 on: September 20, 2012, 04:04:08 PM »

THE IPCRESS FILE
FUNERAL IN BERLIN
BILLION DOLLAR BRAIN

ALL ABOUT EVE
   (George Sanders really makes this movie!)
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1364 on: September 24, 2012, 12:38:30 AM »

Really hit the jackpot this week! Some of our local stations picked up subsisdiary channels when our cable system expanded and have been very hard-pressed to find content. One is changing to "MeTV" which is a mixture of movies and syndicated programs. Along with the more common syndicated stuff ("Mash", "Brady Bunch", "I Love Lucy", "Taxi", etc.) they are showing stuff I hadn't seen in many, many years. Some of the offerings so far are "Peter Gunn", "Burke's Law", "Route 66", "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", "Get Smart", and many more. Along with "ThisTV", another combo movie/ old syndication network we already get, it looks like some great viewing ahead! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
CAMPION
« Reply #1365 on: September 24, 2012, 01:50:33 AM »

Dug out my CAMPION tapes again.  Just posted this at the IMDB...

I'm watching "LOOK TO THE LADY" again right now, and several things about it make it stand out quite obviously as being intended as an "introductory" story. Quite like the Peter Lorre film "THINK FAST, MR. MOTO", the opening part of the story leaves you wondering WHO are these people and WHAT is going on here?

My question is... WHY did "MYSTERY" here in America apparently run the show COMPLETELY out of sequence???

I taped the series off of "MYSTERY" when it was first-run here, and the order for Season 1 was as follows:

"THE CASE OF THE LATE PIG"
"POLICE AT THE FUNERAL"
"DEATH OF A GHOST"
"LOOK TO THE LADY"

Seeing them this way, by the time you get to the "pilot" episode, "LOOK TO THE LADY", you're left wondering, WHY are Albert & Lugg acting so strangely?? This is also the only story I've noticed where Lugg's first name is spelled out, and Albert gives a lot of background info about himself and Lugg, including that Lugg used to be a burglar, and that "Albert Campion" is an alias.

I know "THE CASE OF THE LATE PIG" was not only run first here, but intended to be run first here (in other words, PBS didn't just air them wrong) because I have the Diana Rigg intro for this story. It happens to be Diana Rigg's DEBUT as host, and the way she talks about Campion, it's obvious it was the "FIRST" episode they were running.

This is either the 3rd or 4th time I seen the stories (they keep getting better) and this thing about "LOOK TO THE LADY" always bothered me, in the back of my head, but I never thought to look it up online, and sure enough, it WAS designed to the "first" story.

WHY do people do things like this???
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1366 on: September 24, 2012, 02:30:23 AM »

bowers, you're lucky, we just got "MeTV" yanked OFF of our cable. As long as you're watching it, may I recommend "Son of Svengoolie" at 9:00 pm (central) on Saturday nights? The guy's a fright flick hosting LEGEND here in the Chicago area - you don't have to watch his movies (they vary WILDLY in quality), just check out HIS segments, AT LEAST his first one. I'm tellin' ya, the man is a hoot -
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1367 on: September 24, 2012, 04:30:25 AM »

unclerobin, I saw him last night hosting "The Mole People". He's all you say and more! Prof, you're so right about "Look to the Lady"- easily my favorite episode from the first season. Have to say that I enjoyed the second season a bit more. I still watch "Sweet Danger" (my favorite Campion episode) and "Mystery Mile" at least once a year. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1368 on: September 24, 2012, 03:39:47 PM »

There are some gems in every generation. My son got to watch He-Man, Smurfs, Care Bears, Snorks and GI Joe as well as the transcendent Scooby Doo.
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1369 on: September 25, 2012, 12:37:27 AM »

narf, did you see the SMURFS parody on ROBOT CHICKEN? Actually, I think there was more than one. This one was a murder mystery.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1370 on: September 25, 2012, 02:51:06 AM »

I have never seen Robot Chicken
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1371 on: September 25, 2012, 03:59:52 AM »

narf, ROBOT CHICKEN is on The Cartoon Network, Sunday nights around 10;30 CST. It's part of a block called "Adult Swim", and it's NOT for the kiddies!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1372 on: September 25, 2012, 10:07:39 AM »

I had heard of it but it did not look of interest. I will have to check it and see if I like it
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1373 on: September 25, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »

Prof, you're so right about "Look to the Lady"- easily my favorite episode from the first season. Have to say that I enjoyed the second season a bit more. I still watch "Sweet Danger" (my favorite Campion episode) and "Mystery Mile" at least once a year. Cheers, Bowers

"SWEET DANGER" was last night.  Iain Cuthbertson was such a BASTARD!!!  I finally figured out, he wasn't a corrupt government employee, he was a corrupt head of a corporation with political ambitions. Talk about the story being decades ahead of its time!

Lysette Anthony was, by a wide margin, my favorite girl in the entire run of the series.  It was only after I saw it the first time that I found out that Albert later MARRIED Amanda. Wow. She later turned up as "Angelique" on the prime-time redo of DARK SHADOWS, and later still, as the doomed Lucy in DRACULA: DEAD AND LOVING IT.

She's got a GREAT scene with Jonathan (Steven Webber) when she confronts him in the cemetery...

"Join me, and I can give you an eternity of endless passion!"
"But-- but-- I'm British!"
  (and frigid)
(grabbing her breasts) "SO ARE THESE!!!"

Saw that in a theatre twice when it came out!  Sadly, not since...

I've often said Peter Davison is more like "The Doctor" in CAMPION than he ever was on DOCTOR WHO.  In "LOOK TO THE LADY", this is even more so! It amazes me how many actors had been on WHO before who got much better writing on CAMPION.  (Except maybe for Cuthbertson, his role in "The Ribos Operation" could not be topped.) 

When Davison confronted Cuthbertson at the end of "SWEET DANGER", he almost reminded me of Tom Baker.  I also loved when he yelled at Lugg at the top of his lungs.  At first, it looked like he was angry that Lugg almost killed someone, but the truth was, he was really upset because LUGG almost got killed! A little more passion like that (or, a LOT, actually) would have been very called for on WHO.  I've always liked Davison as an actor, but too many of his fans on WHO totaly ignore and excuse what was REALLY BAD WRITING.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 05:22:52 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1374 on: September 25, 2012, 11:34:59 PM »

Is anyone else watching Revolution? I have been enjoying it. It has kept me interested.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.