in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715851 times)

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1375 on: September 26, 2012, 01:59:56 AM »

Is anyone else watching Revolution? I have been enjoying it. It has kept me interested.

Me, I too find it an interesting watch. We'll have to see if it survives and we find out the why and how it was done.
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1376 on: September 27, 2012, 08:04:40 PM »

Saw the season premiere of NCIS last night, glad to see the badguy "get his" - but poor Dr. Mallard ("Ducky"), now he's gonna be replaced at his job for awhile by Jimmy - the most useless character on the whole show (if not on all of television)!
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1377 on: September 27, 2012, 11:23:34 PM »

I dunno, Director Vance is pretty useless! His sole function seems to be walking around being angry at Gibbs and also to be wrong about everything! Rocky Carroll is really a better actor than the role deserves. Do love the show, though.  Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1378 on: September 28, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »

A bit late with this but you New Tricks fans might be interested that Denis Lawson, who plays Steve McAndrew, ex Scottish cop, had his 2nd appearance this week and it was good with excellent reactions from the other team members.  A very good story again.  Don't know if you can see this page outside UK but here's the link:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006t0qx
I get the feeling that BBC are looking at a new show with Redman and her boss in a new situation as it still looks as if New Tricks wont or can't continue.
Great Castle last night with Castle and his maw taken hostage in the bank.  I'll tell you, we couldn't work out what was going on till late on in the episode.
NCIS - we've never really taken to it and don't watch it now.  Perhaps we're missing something good but there is so much else on now that it'd be difficult to fit it in.
Most important of all, Miranda starts again tonight - falling off chair time.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1379 on: September 29, 2012, 05:24:13 AM »

I just watched the series finale (ep.90) again, and was inspired to write a review.  I wonder if the IMDB will post this?

Henry

WKRP IN CINCINATTI: Ep. 90 / "All-News Format?"

The Wave Of The Future ********

*** This review may contain spoilers ***

For the 2nd time in a season, WKRP's ratings are up-- from #10 to #6. But as everyone wants to celebrate, Andy discovers that Lillian Carlson has decided that, on the advice of a "very expensive" consulting firm, she's going to change the format to all-news. This, despite the fact that the station will LOSE MONEY for the first 18 months, minimum. Total insanity... except to Johnny Fever, who, after going to confront Mother Carlson in person (to her extreme annoyance) finds out that the station, in her corporate scheme of things, is SUPPOSED to lose money. "You've been telling your son you want him to succeed. How do you think he'd feel if he knew the truth?" This shocking revelation came at the end of 4 entire seasons of the show (90 episodes), and in an utterly twisted way, makes sense of so much of Lillian's behavior from the very beginning. It's also a reflection of so much of what's wrong with American business in general, and has been at least since the time the show was first-run, and has only gotten worse and worse ever since.

WKRP, in real life, was a victim of the Reagan Administration. From the moment the Republicans got in in 1980, the mood of the country swung away from humanistic concerns and toward "big business" and making money at all costs and to the total exclusion of all other concerns. They used to call the people who thought and acted that way "Yuppies", perhaps in an attempt to make light of what was, in fact, a very real, serious, DANGEROUS problem.

In the early 80's, it became "unpopular" for TV sitcoms to have intelligent or "controversial" writing. CBS deliberately moved the station around the schedule until ratings fell low enough so they'd have an EXCUSE to cancel it. Right after, it was in the top 10 for the rest of the season. But they weren't gonna change their minds. They wanted it GONE, and they got it gone.

These days, corporations seem to own everything, fewer and fewer businesses are privately-owned, which means there is virtually no real, direct, human connection anymore between those in charge and products and services being generated. Lawyers and accountants, instead of being necessary accessories, are the ones running the show. There seems to be no room for individual initiative or accomplishment. "The bottom line" has become the all-encompassing motivation of those increasingly inhuman, soul-less "people" who make decisions for everyone else, whose only goal in life is to make more money than they can possibly use, and only for themselves.

"I'm sure you didn't mean to hurt anyone. I'm sure the welfare of your employees was the last thing on your mind." Johnny Fever was so right.

Growing up in the 60's, there was a lot wrong with the world, but I always had a feeling there was hope for the future of mankind. These days I really wonder. If things don't turn around soon, there may not be a world left saving.

I know, from watching the revival, that at some point, Andy did leave the station, and the format did change, but then changed back. In this episode, Johnny Fever was shown to be "#1 all the way", indicating that Lillian's EARLIER "consultant" was totally WRONG when he said that Fever was not being used properly. Of course, HE wanted to sell his "programming service"-- in which DJ's who program their own music would be a thing of the past. As they are NOW. We NEED more individual initiative in the world. We need more people like Johnny Fever, and more radio stations (and businesses across the board in every field imaginable) like WKRP IN CINCINATTI. If there were more Arthur Carlsons running things, the world would be a much nicer place.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1380 on: September 29, 2012, 10:33:24 PM »

I think I saw a WKRP on Hulu recently. I think network execs make enough stupid mistakes on their own without blaming politics. After all most in the industry are far left and extremely Democrat. There is enough blame to go around as the "soul less" businessman tries to maximize profit while the "soul less" lawyers try to bleed them dry with law suits that net little for the "supposed victims" and lots for the law firms. The Repubs cater to business he Dems to lawyers and we the people get screwed.
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1381 on: September 29, 2012, 11:29:37 PM »

Wow, narf, I've been a hardcore Democrat all my life, but what you just said is right on the money!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1382 on: September 30, 2012, 12:57:22 AM »

I do not really consider myself a Republican because they are just my only choice because I am hard core anti-Democratic party. I still wish Ross Perot had won in 92
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1383 on: September 30, 2012, 12:13:58 PM »

Okay, I'm done talking politics!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Leverage
« Reply #1384 on: September 30, 2012, 12:42:20 PM »

Did anyone else find it too easy to figure out the subject of the painting in the last Leverage? I had guessed it from the very start. I also figured out where the painting was probably hidden. Not one of my favorite episodes as it featured my two least favorite characters. Parker is my favorite then Eliot and Hardison are tied for second.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1385 on: September 30, 2012, 01:12:29 PM »

Yeah, I gotta admit I saw a lot of that coming too.  I guess not all episodes can be winners.

I do like the fact that the producers/writers don't feel constrained to using all of the characters each episode though.  The episode from the week before (with just Parker, Hardison and Eliot) was a lot more fun.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1386 on: September 30, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »

And I enjoyed that episode much more. Must have been a contractual agreement to get a week off for each.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1387 on: October 01, 2012, 01:45:28 AM »

HALLOWEEN  (1978)
HALLOWEEN 6:  THE CURSE OF MICHAEL MYERS   (1995)

I never watched these 2 back-to-back before.  The "producer's cut" (before it was totally bastardized into the "director's cut" for theatrical release) was a much-better-made film than it deserved to be, because the story was S***.  The director apparently wasn't satisfied with that, so he cut 20 or so minutes out of the film and added 20 or so new minutes, in the process turning the entire film into garbage, and making the plot make NO sense at all. A shame, as there were a few actors I liked in there whose time and talent were completely wasted.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1388 on: October 05, 2012, 02:54:40 AM »

DEATH ON THE NILE  (1978)
EVIL UNDER THE SUN  (1982)
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1389 on: October 09, 2012, 07:03:12 AM »

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly".
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1390 on: October 10, 2012, 10:23:34 PM »

"There's gonna be some CHANGES in your MORNINGS, Cincinnati... and they're NOT gonna be pretty!"
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1391 on: October 11, 2012, 01:47:52 AM »

How many are too young to recognize the reference to the classic TV show?
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1392 on: October 11, 2012, 02:51:20 AM »

Of course, I recognize the quote. I just wonder how many (if anyone at all) recognize the quote I replied with?    ;D
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1393 on: October 11, 2012, 02:54:54 AM »

The last few days...

THE MIRROR CRACK'D
AND THEN THERE WERE NONE
TEN LITTLE INDIANS
THE ALPHABET MURDERS

* if you've ever seen this movie... yes, I am a glutton for punishment!  It's kinda like HELP! without the music... or funny parts.

"I don't know why they're having so much trouble.  It's perfectly simple.  The solution is A B C to anyone with half a brain."
--Miss Jane Marple
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1394 on: October 11, 2012, 12:50:35 PM »

I felt a tug at my pant leg - it was a little razor-back hog -
ip icon Logged

moondood

message icon
« Reply #1395 on: October 11, 2012, 04:00:37 PM »

What'm I watchin..?

Been big into serials lately so I just watched Mystery Mountain with Ken Maynard, both Nyokas [man, that Kay Aldridge was gorgeous!] and just started Miracle Rider with Tom Mix.  Never seen a Mix picture before.

I'm big into B westerns, too, the past few years, and I just bought two DVD sets of B westerns of 50 movies each: Tex Ritter, John Wayne, Roy Rogers, Crash Corrigan, etc.  Fun stuff.

On TV, I watch the Lone Ranger and the Roy Rogers show.  Got through most of the BW Gunsmokes, Lawman and Cheyenne already.

If it doesn't rain today, I may go hiking out at Crash Corrigan's old movie ranch.  The western town is long gone, but the foundations are still there as well as quite a few of the natural landmarks I've seen in dozens of westerns...including the cave from both Nyoka serials.  On the way is the old Iverson ranch.  Not much left, but the Lone Ranger rock [from the show's opening] can still be found easily.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart@gmail.com

ip icon Logged

moondood

message icon
« Reply #1396 on: October 11, 2012, 04:08:41 PM »

profh0011 was asking about the ending of Lost Horizon:

"...I could have SWORN that when I saw this on TCM some years ago, that Ronald Colman actually DID make it back to ENGLAND... and then realized he had no place there, and was compelled to try to return to Tibet. Yet I could find NO mention of this anywhere online."

===============

Though I recorded it over a year ago, I finally got around to watching the "complete" version about a week ago.....the version with the complete soundtrack with stills in place of any missing footage.

Yes, he did make it back to England, but what struck me is that his whole return is off-screen.  That is, there's a scene in a supper club or something of several men at a table discussing his return to England.  They may have even discussed his fleeing the ship and disappearing in that same scene, I'm not sure.  We never SEE him in England.  Next thing we see is him making his way back to Shangri-La.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart@gmail.com
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1397 on: October 11, 2012, 04:24:19 PM »

moondood, re. serials, there are a few of us on CB+ who love old serials, me included.  I've never watched a Tom Mix before but you've intrigued me.  While tending to prefer stuff like The Spider, Green Hornet, Phantom etc. I've also been watching Vigilante (poor copy but it's all I can find in the U.K.), Lone Ranger, and recently, The Vigilantes are Coming (Bob Livingston).  We have very few western shows re-running on British t.v. but in the last year Gun Law (Gunsmoke to you) and Maverick have been on an obscure channel at odd times of the day and night.  But no Lone Ranger or Range Rider or other favourites of my youth.
Big fan of Dell westerns.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1398 on: October 11, 2012, 05:06:36 PM »

profh0011 was asking about the ending of Lost Horizon:

I finally got around to watching the "complete" version about a week ago.....the version with the complete soundtrack with stills in place of any missing footage. Yes, he did make it back to England, but what struck me is that his whole return is off-screen.  That is, there's a scene in a supper club or something of several men at a table discussing his return to England.  They may have even discussed his fleeing the ship and disappearing in that same scene, I'm not sure.  We never SEE him in England.  Next thing we see is him making his way back to Shangri-La.

Thanks. That's interesting. I've seen the movie 3 times... once on commercial TV (late 60's or early 70's?), once on TCM ("complete" with stills), and the 3rd time-- ironically-- a tape from PBS--I think-- back  in the 80's-- which I recorded way back but never played. I clearly remember the supper club discussion scene, but it seemed they were talking about how he jumped ship en route to England.

Makes me wonder if there aren't alternate takes to some scenes, and different takes were edited into different versions of the film.

I also can't help but wonder if what I'm remembering might have been from a different, yet similar film.  Any ideas?
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1399 on: October 11, 2012, 05:17:43 PM »

Unfortunately (or, maybe not), the only GUNSMOKEs I have on tape are all of the revival movies. Man, are those things "DARK" and gloomy! (Well, mostly.)

I've read recently that GUNSMOKE was created specifically to be a "western" version of PHILIP MARLOWE. Of course, if you use FAREWELL MY LOVELY as a model, I can see why the show would wind up so "dark" and downbeat at times.

A friend of mine in Wales expressed dismay recently at how something that relentlessly downbeat could have lasted on network TV for 20 years, when so many shows that were so much more fun or exciting to watch died young.

The other month I watched my HEC RAMSEY collection.  I'm missing a couple of these... CBS re-ran them as part of their LATE MOVIE in the early 80's, and with few exceptions, they had the horrible habit of not only running shows totally out of sequence, but SKIPPING episodes (they almost never ran a complete set of anything), plus, in the last 6 months or so before they stopped, they cut the time slot so every movie would be cut.  If it was designed for 90 minutes, that was bad enough, but any of the 2-hour jobs were horribly mutilated.

Anyway, apart from the episode where Hec's fiancee and her son are murdered (I almost couldn't believe they did a story like that), I found this series infinitely more entertaining to watch than any GUNSMOKE I've seen. I especially like the ones with Harry Morgan in them. the show was made by Jack Webb's company, I guess it's no surprise that a DRAGNET alumnio should turn up as a regular. Crazy enough, Morgan for a while was appearing on both HEC RAMSEY and MASH at the same time. I never liked his character Colonel Potter, but his Doc Amos Coogan was a fun, likeable guy.

Apparently, HEC RAMSEY was cancelled for the exact same reason (or related one) as BANACEK, and both after 2 seasons-- "irreconcilable differences" between the star (Richard Boone, George Peppard) and the producers (or network). Damn shame.

Reminds me of what Richard Widmark said in a TV GUIDE interview about his series MADIGAN"All I know is, every time I like a show, it gets cancelled after one year."  (Again, thanks to CBS reruns, I'm missing one episode of MADIGAN. And it was favorite, too... the one shot in London.  I swear the John Wayne movie BRANNIGAN was a remake of that!)
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.