in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 716131 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1525 on: December 25, 2012, 07:57:09 PM »

Don't throw things at me but I hated Danger Island when I watched Banana Splits as a kid. I liked the Musketeers but my favorite was the Arabian Knights. I remember Dexter's "extra" kills but they were deserving. Next years story line has to fundamentally change who Dexter and Debra are. The part of me that has invested in the series wants to know what happens but another part of my is very upset with the writers and producers.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1526 on: December 25, 2012, 11:22:54 PM »

Typically for me, there were moments when I found DANGER ISLAND annoying, specifically because it was an ongoing serial.  I always had trouble with 2-parters, but this thing went on and on and on!  And I'm SURE somewhere in the middle of the first run of it, I missed an episode or two somewhere along the way.  Probably had to watch the 2nd run just to catch up on the parts of the story I missed.

I recall ARABIAN KNIGHTS having a more flexible format than THREE MUSKETEERS.  It's been decades since I saw either, but it seems to me every single episode of THREE MUSKETEERS felt like every other one.  Sort of like ROAD RUNNER, or PEPE LE PEAU.  I know this is the kind of criticism that's probably true for a lot of series, but it seemed more true of 3M than many that season.  (I may be wrong... but somehow, I doubt it.)

In the long run, my favorite part of the show was THE ROCK & ROLL MUSIC... just like ARCHIE, or THE MONKEES, or LANCELOT LINK, SECRET CHIMP.

Barry White wrote "Doin' The Banana Split".  "Blackest" song I ever heard on a Saturday morning kiddie show!!
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1527 on: December 26, 2012, 12:29:20 PM »

I remember Dexter's "extra" kills but they were deserving.

I must say that I totally disagree with you, Narf.  The "extra" kills may have been jerks but they were not predators/murderers and hardly deserving of the "death penalty" that Dexter imposes on his usual victims.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1528 on: December 26, 2012, 01:28:34 PM »

They were the beginning of the slide, taking away a lot from the show
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Lightning Raider
« Reply #1529 on: December 26, 2012, 01:43:29 PM »

Has anyone seen Lightning Raider, or know if it is available anywhere? It sounds very interesting.
http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Lightning_Raider
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1530 on: December 26, 2012, 06:32:22 PM »

Couldn't find "Lightning Raider" on Internet Archive- are we talking about the 1919 fim? I have, however, found some really great 1940's one hour B films on the archive. Recently viewed "Murder on the Air" with a very young Lee J. Cobb and a fun performance by Peter Lind Hayes. Also the Brit espionage "Cottage to Let" (aka "Bombsight Stolen") with a very good cast. Although quality varies widely, one can find lots of thrillers, mysteries, and noir- you just have to search for them! If you want to view an old "quicky", this is the place to find one. Also got to watch the series finale of "Leverage"- gave the reason for the move to Portland. Also left room for a sequel or tv movie. I really enjoyed this series- sad to see it go. The Dr. Who "Snowmen" special gave us a glimpse of the Dr.'s possible new companion. No spoilers, but it's someone we've met before. Hope you all had a great Christmas and will all enjoy a very happy new year. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1531 on: December 26, 2012, 07:33:26 PM »

Lightining Raider is 1919 and I could not find it at ARchive either. I have not watched the last episode of Leverage yet. The previews at the end of Doctor Who show her in the future adventures. I also like the addition of "Potato Head" as a possible companion as it appears he is also in future episodes
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
Re: Lightning Raider
« Reply #1532 on: December 26, 2012, 11:07:18 PM »

Has anyone seen Lightning Raider, or know if it is available anywhere? It sounds very interesting.
http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Lightning_Raider

As I understand it most of the serial is lost but the serial squadron guys have posted a short surviving sequence here on youtube,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xeQoT_YM-U

Btw, future Charlie Chan (and Fu Manchu), Warner Oland plays the heavy in this serial.

Enjoy

Joe
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1533 on: December 26, 2012, 11:29:57 PM »

Finally got to watch Defendor yesterday and not such a bad movie. Also watch Spiderbabe, Kekko Kamen disk 1 & 2, along with the double D Avenger (It was an adult afternoon). As one can imagine these didn't have much of a plot. I will skip the Double D Avenger other than to say it was a waste of time (& $2.98 in shipping.), and what is with the Japanese? I mean they're ideas sometimes makes you just scratch your head in wonder. In the evening I watch (by myself) Superheroes, a documentary on "real life" super heroes around the US. Kind of interesting, for the 4 dollars I paid for it, it was not a bad purchase. More to come as the movies keep on rolling in......

RB

Still waiting for my new OS....... :-(

ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1534 on: December 27, 2012, 06:04:31 PM »

Thanks for the link, Joe. Pretty good stuff! According to imdb, Boris Karloff also appeared in this serial. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1535 on: December 27, 2012, 07:10:43 PM »

Watched the "Specials" Last night with Rob Lowe and Jamie Kennedy, a comedy Super Hero movie. Very nice satire. I enjoyed this movie very much. A good saturday night rental if you can find it.

Richard
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #1536 on: December 27, 2012, 11:14:48 PM »

Yep, saw it a year or so back and was pleasantly surprised.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1537 on: December 29, 2012, 05:10:32 AM »

Just heard that TNT did not renew Leverage for a 6th season.  Apparently the producer suspected such might be the case which is why the finale the other night ended the way it did.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1538 on: December 29, 2012, 05:32:24 AM »

My three current weekly serials.

The Phantom of the Air-1933- solid aviation entry with Tom Tyler in the lead role.

The Trail of the Octopus-1919- restored by the guys at the Serial Squadron.

Mystery Mountain-1934- Just started watching this Ken Maynard western chapter-play.  Gene Autry (in one of his earliest film appearances) has a supporting role.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1539 on: December 29, 2012, 04:39:54 PM »

Watched Flash Gordon with Steve Holland in the lead role ....very interesting.....three episodes not in order..... TV series from the 1950's. One episode from 1953 where Flash Jane and Zarkoff go back to that year (1250 Years earlier)...to save mankind. Also Watched Avenging Force: The Scarab....this takes in the Heroes of N.E.D.O.R. starring the Woman in Red, The Black Terror and The Scarab, and the Sphinx as the villian. Ugh.

RB
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 05:29:27 PM by mr_goldenage »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1540 on: December 30, 2012, 02:24:26 AM »

Star Trek:  DAGGER OF THE MIND

Caught up with this tonight.

Some new observations...  This is 2 episodes in a row involving deep underground caverns, and a very well-respected man whose reputation seems beyond reproach or question... who just happens to be on some kind of power-mad trip.  Roger Corby, and Tristan Adams.

Both Adams' female assistant Lethe and his male assistant Eli have blank expressions.  I guess Van Gelder would have, but he fought back too hard.

Morgan Woodward is terrific in this.  This time around, I particularly took note of his face when under the Vulcan mind-meld.  He looked like a completely different person!  One could easily see him as highly intelligent, friendly, reasonable.  I wonder, since they never said, was he cured because of Spock, did they have to use the machine again to fix what it broke, or did he just return to normal after enough time had gone by?  Kirk's very pained expression at the end of the story suggests the fake memories Adams implanted were still there, and he'd never forget.

The question remains, what would Adams have done with Kirk?  Claiming there was "another" accident might have looked TOO suspicious.  But the story wraps up before too many questions have been answered, or even raised.

Just looked this up:  "S-Bar David" (onscreen credit) is actually Shimon Wincelberg, born in Germany, and according to the IMDB...

Many of his scripts for classic TV shows of the 1950s and '60s centered around Jewish themes and were notable for their unusually correct depiction of Jewish rituals and religious law.

He was a mentor for many Orthodox Jews in Hollywood.

Whatta ya know.  Jewish-sounding name, a Jew born in Germany before the Nazis took over, the character names "Lethe" & "Eli" both sound Jewish, and Dr. Adams comes across like a scientist in a Nazi concentration camp, experimenting and enjoying himself at the total expense of the people he has power over.

Could the psudonym "S-Bar David" be meant as a reference to "Star of David"?

Finally...  while pretty, and attractive, Helen Noel is neither what I'd call "cute" or a standard Trek female who finds Kirk attractive.  She seems to have an attitude problem, but this may be common for psychiatrists.

Funny thing... it took until I saw her name in the end credits...  Marianna Hill... when I suddenly remembered what I looked up months ago.  She was the B**** IN HEAT in the movie HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER who comes on to Clint Eastwood's "Stranger", then acts all offended at him, then gets RAPED by him.  And then, the next day, shoots at him multiple times when he's trying to take a bath, and, totally inexplicably, misses.  (Or, did she?)

"Wonder what took her so long to get mad?"
    "Maybe because you didn't go back for more."

"When a man like that comes along, you give him what he wants.  Until he goes too far."
    "Isn't RAPE in BROAD DAYLIGHT still a MISDEMEANOR in this town?????"

The other woman character in the film, by the way, Verna Bloom, later played Dean Vernon's wife in the film ANIMAL HOUSE.  I saw both films multiple times without ever realizing that, until I looked it up online.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1541 on: December 30, 2012, 03:32:01 AM »

Just looked this up:  "S-Bar David" (onscreen credit) is actually Shimon Wincelberg, born in Germany, and according to the IMDB...

Many of his scripts for classic TV shows of the 1950s and '60s centered around Jewish themes and were notable for their unusually correct depiction of Jewish rituals and religious law.

He was a mentor for many Orthodox Jews in Hollywood.

Whatta ya know.  Jewish-sounding name, a Jew born in Germany before the Nazis took over, the character names "Lethe" & "Eli" both sound Jewish, and Dr. Adams comes across like a scientist in a Nazi concentration camp, experimenting and enjoying himself at the total expense of the people he has power over.

Could the psudonym "S-Bar David" be meant as a reference to "Star of David"?

Henry,

I think his pseudonym is actually S. Bar-David which, IIRC, translates as "Son of David".  Very interesting post.

Thanks

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1542 on: December 30, 2012, 05:14:00 AM »

Almost every review of that episode at the IMDB agrees that something appears to be "missing" from the episode. Was it not written, not filmed, or filmed but then cut for time? The thing is... WHY is Tristan Adams using a therapy machine for TORTURE? My impression was, BECAUSE HE CAN. That, deep down, he's a no-good hateful BASTARD, and he's getting his jollies controlling or destroying other people. After all, who's gonna stop him? He's like a little god with his own private kingdom, and, he's got his reputation protecting him.

But people like that have a tendency to go too far, and it usually leads to their downfall. Needlessly using the machine on Kirk was going too far. What was he gonna do-- kill him? Toss him in a cell and say, "He had an accident trying to use the machine?" 2 such accidents would be too suspicious.  Brainwash him to the point where-- maybe-- he'd be forced to forget everything that happened? We don't know any of this.

So the result is an episode with fascinating ideas that makes you think, because just about nothing in it is developed or explained properly.

However, tonight, I did get the impression he reminded me of a scientist at a Nazi concentration camp. So finding out just HOW Jewish the writer was, in its own way, may have explained the whole thing.

I suspect if this had been on TARZAN, it could have been a 2-parter...!

Oh, by the way, according to the IMDB, both "Lethe" and "Eli" apparently come from Greek mythology, not Hebrew.  Hmm....
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 05:18:04 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1543 on: December 30, 2012, 05:20:26 AM »

I meant to look this up before... oops.

S.Bar David did 2 unpleasant STAR TREK episodes-- the other one was "The Galileo Seven", which I never liked.

But, he also wrote the first 5 episodes of LOST IN SPACE (the ones I have on tape!), plus, "Invaders from the 5th Dimension" (a very creepy one), and, "Rendezvous with Yesterday", the pilot episode of THE TIME TUNNEL !

The latter, of course, aired in the same TV season as his 2 STAR TREK scripts.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1544 on: December 30, 2012, 07:51:40 PM »

Watched Maskeli Seytan (Masked Devil) from Turkey last night with English subtitles along with the full length movie without the watermark in the middle of the whole movie and a superior print, Yarasa Adam (Turkish Batman) also with English subtitles. Got these from a guy or guys from HR. called turkiscult @ http://turkishcult.net/site/

RB

PS I have one of 3 computers up and running and I am reinstalling all my software today, sigh!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1545 on: December 30, 2012, 09:12:23 PM »

Started watching Deep Space 9 from the beginning. While I did not like the spiritualist part of the show it became a Star Trek favorite
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1546 on: December 31, 2012, 03:44:32 PM »

Richard, I look forward to checking the Turkish movie site. Thanks. 
I'd like to suggest you all try to find a new BBC 2-parter called Restless, which was on over Christmas.  Espionage with a good mystery and excellent performances.  Can't say too much without spoiling things but told in well-organised flashbacks. For Linda and I, it was a riveting 3 hours.
Also on was an adaptation of Ian Rankin's "Doors Open", with Dougie Henshall and Stephen Fry.  Edinburgh looked great at times; there's a bit of humour; good bad guys; tricky wee story.  Most enjoyable and it should be available outside the U.K.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1547 on: December 31, 2012, 10:34:29 PM »

Paw I will look for that show and see if I can find it. Sounds interesting. I am about 2/3rds way through my new movie purchases and looking forward to more movies to arrive in my mailbox any day now. I still have several US movies that I have purchased that I have not watched yet so tonight probably will be the night for them. Stay tuned.

RB

PS anyone want a list of all my non USA Movies?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Mass Effect Paragon Lost
« Reply #1548 on: December 31, 2012, 11:21:23 PM »

Pretty good movie. Good story and plot with lots of action.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1549 on: January 06, 2013, 04:19:16 PM »

Feature films watched in recent weeks-

Frankenstein:The True Story-1973, Petey Wheatstraw: The Devil's Son-in-Law-1977, Argo-2012, Clash of the Titans-2010, Wrath of the Titans-2012, Red Riding Hood-2011, Lincoln-2012, The Thing-2011, The Day of the Triffids-1962, Godzilla, King of the Monsters-1956, Flight-2012, Willard-2003, The Man from Monterey-1933, Mad Monkey Kung Fu-1979, The Green Hornet-2011, The Flying Guillotine-1975, Justice League: Doom-2012, X-15-1961, The Belle of New York-1952, Almighty Thor-2011, The Sun Sets at Dawn-1950, A Carol for Another Christmas-1964, The Devil's Party-1938, That Night in Rio-1941, Convict Stage-1965, The Silencers-1966, The Amazing Spider-Man-2012, The Iron Lady-2011, Pinup Girl-1944, The Hunger Games-2012, Scrooge-1951, The Dark Knight Rises-2012, Days of Thrills and Laughter-1961, Motor Patrol-1950, Counterspy Meets Scotland Yard-1950, The Crowd-1928, Bangkok Dangerous-2008, Western Pacific Agent-1950, Skyfall-2012, The Secret World of Arrietty-2010, Los Tres Garcia-1947, Roaring City-1951, The Stolen Ranch-1926, A Man Called Sledge-1970, Sky Liner-1949, Murderer's Row-1966.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.