in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715849 times)

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1550 on: January 06, 2013, 07:35:55 PM »

Watched "Revenge of the Creature"(1955) last night and was surprised to see a walk-on from a VERY young Clint Eastwood as a lab assistant. Bought some used DVDs last week, so on the menu for this week's viewing are- "The Cheap Detective" (Peter Falk), "Gangs Inc." (Alan Ladd), "Something to Sing About" (James Cagney), and "Mr. Deeds goes to Town" (Gary Cooper). On BBC America, I've finished the second seasons of "Bedlam" and "The Hour". Didn't like the second "Bedlam" as well as the first, but think "The Hour" has been improved by new characters and fuller characterizations. One of our local PBS stations debuted a Britcom last week called "The Cafe", but I missed it. Anybody know if it is any good? Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1551 on: January 10, 2013, 05:36:30 PM »

Chaps, where do you find the time for all those great films and progs?   We've had new series of Lewis; Midsomer Murders; Death in Paradise This week and we haven't caught up. Also missed the 1st. part of Spies of Warsaw with David Tennent.  Thank goodness for watch again.
Not only not seen "The Cafe", I don't recognise it at all.
Miranda also started and we missed part 2.  Now that's a funny show..
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1552 on: January 10, 2013, 08:01:48 PM »

Where do we find the time, Paw? Dunno about others, but this is the slow time of year for me at work. So instead of working six days a week, I only have to work four, giving me some much-needed time to catch up on my family and hobbies! We should be getting "Ripper Street" and "Spies of Warsaw" shortly- looking forward to both. Haven't seen any of the newer "Midsomer Murders" (without John Nettleton) yet. Are they still good? Probably no new mysteries on PBS until late spring, although one of the local channels came up with a few recent episodes of "Hustle". Haven't seen any of those since season four. The "Mentalist" has been pretty good this season with two seperate (or maybe not) sub-plots going on. Unfortunately it is shown at 10 pm on Sunday, so sometimes I fall asleep or just plain forget to watch it! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1553 on: January 10, 2013, 10:49:49 PM »

Same probelm here with the Mentalist and Elementary.....on too late.....thank god for DVR units! I just DVR it and watch the shows when I have time.....whenever that is......Friday is my day off this week so I can scan and watch movies and stuff! I'm excited!

RB still @ work not working.......
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #1554 on: January 11, 2013, 01:25:44 AM »

Same probelm here with the Mentalist and Elementary.....on too late.....thank god for DVR units! I just DVR it and watch the shows when I have time.....whenever that is......Friday is my day off this week so I can scan and watch movies and stuff! I'm excited!

RB still @ work not working.......

That's great.,By the way,did you see doctor who:the snowmen,last month on bbc america,in which jenna-louise coleman made her first appearance as clara,the doctor's new companion?
Just asking!
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1555 on: January 11, 2013, 03:01:21 AM »

Sure did! I think she'll make The Doctor a fine companion. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1556 on: January 11, 2013, 03:13:16 AM »

I find the new companion acceptable and attractive. I too am a HUGE DVR fan. I did not watch Elementary from the start. I know that I would probably like it but do not want to have another show to catch up on.
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #1557 on: January 11, 2013, 01:33:58 PM »

Yeah,you got that right.I Would like to know what you think of once upon a time and revenge!
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1558 on: January 12, 2013, 12:16:40 AM »

The Lil Missus and I very much enjoy Once Upon a Time but I have never seen Revenge.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
STAR TREK: "Wolf" / "Changeling" / "Apple"
« Reply #1559 on: January 12, 2013, 02:27:43 AM »

WOLF IN THE FOLD has always been an unusual ST story.  It's the 3rd (and final) one from Robert Bloch (PSYCHO, THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD), and involves a serial killer, whose identity seems either all too obvious, or much stranger than anyone could ever have imagined.

Among the guest actors are Charles Macauley, previously seen as "Landru" in RETURN OF THE ARCHONS, and John Fielder, the voice of "Piglet" in Disney's WINNEY THE POOH cartoons, who much later was a regular on Dabney Coleman's series BUFFALO BILL.  This is probably the 1st time I ever took notice of Fiedler, everything else I've ever seen him in, I'm always reminded of this story.  On the other hand, it took me decades (and looking it up on the IMDB) before I ever realized I'd seen Macauley in anything else.  His appearances also include The Monkees' movie, HEAD, where he has the wonderful quote, "The tragedy of your times, my young friends, is that you may get exactly as you want."

In production order, this was the 1st episode of the 2nd season that reused music from earlier episodes.  This includes music from THE CAGE (the Orion slave girl dance was reused here for the dancing girl at the beginning of the story) and cues from CATSPAW.

I still recall the 1st time I saw this story, being totally thrown at the way the investigation proceeded, especially once it moved up to The Enterprise.  I suppose it figures that the one person who kept objecting to it and making fun of it turned out to be the killer.  "Die, die, everybody die!" may be the most memorable line in the story.

THE CHANGELING, I have to admit, is the first episode I've watched this time out that I was really NOT thrilled with, at all.  I guess I've seen it too much, and had too many of its plot points ridiculed over the years, and realized just how idiotic and repetitive some things in this one are.  I really hate machines that don't work right, and I really hate supposedly "intelligent" computers that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.  "Nomad" keeps saying it's "perfect", and that it's programming is "whole", yet it refuses to recognize that its so-called "programming" was the result of itself being nearly destroyed in an accident and then rebuilt in a completely faulty, seemingly arbitrary way. About the only thinking machine even stupider than "Nomad" had to be "V'Ger", which didn't even recognize what living beings were.

I recall it being quite a shock when Scotty was knocked over on the bridge, and McCoy wound up saying, "He's DEAD, Jim!"  Crewmen have been killed before (including in the previous episode), but one of the main regulars?  Of course that got turned around moments later.  What happened to Uhura was really stupid, though.  The whole sequence of her supposedly being "re-educated" was played too much for laughs in the middle of such a supposedly "deadly serious" story where billions of people have been killed, and billions more lives are at risk.  I agree with whoever at the IMDB suggested her memories were probably just buried, and it took a certain amount of time and effort to re-connect them.

After Mr. Hengist was beamed out into space and DISPURSED in the previous episode, WHY didn't they do the same thing with Nomad?  It seems a big chance they took that that thing would actually blow itself up. (Funny how you notice stuff like this if you watch in production order.)

THE APPLE was summed up by one IMDB reviewer as "Same ship, different day."  I also agree with whoever suggested that the entire story seems to have been assembled by someone who looked at previous episodes, borrowed elements from several of them, and threw them together to get a new episode out of it.  You've got a so-called paradise with plants that shoot spores (THIS SIDE OF PARADISE), a planet with mindless people run by a computer that is using a tractor beam to pull the Enterprise down out of orbit (RETURN OF THE ARCHONS), and the ship using its main phaser banks to destroy the menacing power source (WHO MOURNS FOR ADONIS).  You've even got one of the main characters, this time, Spock, getting killed-- NO, he got better (THE CHANGELING).

The music in this episode, like the previous one, is also made up entirely of cues from previous episodes.  Several previous episodes.  I recognized cues from CATSPAW (the ominous castle music and the action scenes), SHORE LEAVE (the romantic theme), AMOK TIME (both Spock's theme and the Vulcan planet music).  Of course, since this was run by NBC 2 weeks before CATSPAW, most people probably never had a clue that that episode was the source of so much terrific music that got endlessly reused in other stories.

And speaking of CATSPAW... while that story reminded me of a LOST IN SPACE type of story, THE APPLE was actually very similar to a 3rd season LIS story that aired ALMOST the same time-- SPACE PRIMEVALS.  That was about a group of apparent cave men who worshipped-- I'm not kidding-- a COMPUTER!  SPACE PRIMEVALS aired October 4, 1967;  THE APPLE aired October 13, 1967-- 9 DAYS later!!  Really-- what are the odds?????

So many 3rd-season LIS episodes seemed like LIS remakes of 1st-season ST stories, including CONDEMNED OF SPACE, VISIT TO A HOSTILE PLANET, HUNTER'S MOON, SPACE DESTRUCTORS, THE HAUNTED LIGHTHOUSE, FLIGHT INTO THE FUTURE...  seems to me the closest parallel I can come up with for SPACE PRIMEVALS might be THE GALILEO SEVEN, if only because of the "cavemen".  I just find it bizarre that in its 2nd season, STAR TREK was slowly becoming more like its dumber counterpart.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1560 on: January 13, 2013, 02:56:39 PM »

Slowly getting through the shows we missed but another weekend of NFL shoves us back again.  So, the first part of Lewis was very good and as this is the last series, hopefully it'll be quality all the way.
The new Midsomer Murders was highly entertaining and Neil Dudgeon seems a good fit for the show especially as they kept Jones as the sidekick.
This new series of Miranda is butt-clenchingly excruciating to watch at times but fall off the chair funny - I love slapstick. 
Death in Paradise is back - Ben Miller and Danny John Jules - and the new series got off to a great start incl. a wee appearance by James Cosmo.
Still not got to Spies of Warsaw.  But we caught up on Big Bang.  The one with the wormhole.  How good was that?  Way behind with a number of American shows but our cable supplier gives us opportunities to catch up so we'll get there.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1561 on: January 13, 2013, 06:04:32 PM »

Watched/downloaded Kilink Vs DJango a western, the 2nd version of Kizil Maske 1968, and both Kriminal movies. The 2nd Red Mask/Red Phantom movie had no subtitles and was a disjointed mess, Kilink Vs DJango in the West was very funny but alas no subtitles there as well. The Kriminal movies were watchable. Also watch Flash Gordon starring Steve Holland Vol. # 3 the first two episodes and you have to love early 1950's TV. Over and out.....

RB
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

fate man

message icon
« Reply #1562 on: January 13, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »

I Agree with you,richard,however,i have some questions to ask you:
1.Where can i find those movies and tv shows on dvd?
2.When will your blog finally be launched?
Keep up the good work,you are truly the best!
By the way,do any of you guys watch impact wrestling,wwe friday night smackdown,merlin,and green lantern:the animated series?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:04:53 PM by fate man »
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1563 on: January 13, 2013, 10:54:44 PM »

Fateman, most of the wrestling I watch these days is on youtube and DVDs, but I DO love the classic stuff! I pretty much quit watching when TNA started getting Dixie Carter involved in their storylines, the MacMahon thing doesn't suit her. Plus Hogan, Flair, etc. were starting to grate. I DID enjoy seeing Mick Foley smack that Love Sponge guy (or whatever they called him) when he left Impact. I miss the old knockout division, too, now it's like WWE Lite. I look in on both WWE and TNA now and again, but I can't say as I've been lured back. Maybe one of these days. It still  beats watching the BBC though.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1564 on: January 13, 2013, 11:03:04 PM »

Big variety there fate. I do like GL as well as Young Justice.

I absolutely hate wrestling.
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #1565 on: January 13, 2013, 11:30:44 PM »

Do you guys ever watch batman,she-ra:princess of power,the green hornet,and he-man and the masters of the universe on ME TV?
Just Asking.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1566 on: January 14, 2013, 01:29:44 AM »

I love Dishnetwork the only thing is I do not have MeTv and I love old shows. I taped and DVDed all the Green Hornets when they were on awhile back. I can only take Batman in very small doses. The Green Hornet though had mostly good rewatchable episodes.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1567 on: January 14, 2013, 05:00:57 AM »

Even though I have MeTv, most of the shows I really want to watch are on between 1am to 5am. (Still can't afford a dvr unit.) I agree with Narf about Batman in small doses. Do like the Green Hornet and an occasional Lost in Space. The granddaughters like She-Ra. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1568 on: January 14, 2013, 10:19:41 AM »

I can watch Lost in Space on Hulu
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1569 on: January 14, 2013, 12:19:53 PM »

I see Spies of Warsaw being promoted on BBC America but, as yet, have not seen a start date for it. 

They are starting Ripper Street next Saturday and I'm looking forward to that.

The only wrestling I can take is that featured in the old Santo movies.

The Lil Missus and I, like Narf, have Dish, which unfortunately doesn't carry ME TV.  Sounds like a great channel though!

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
STAR TREK: "Journey To Babel"
« Reply #1570 on: January 15, 2013, 01:44:17 AM »

I finally got up to a 2nd-season episode I HATE with a passion and a vengeance...  BREAD AND CIRCUSES.  So, F*** it.  I skipped it.

That felt good!!!!

JOURNEY TO BABEL -- ah yes, another one of the "classics".  Written by D.C. Fontana, this was produced by John Meredyth Lucas, who made his debut on the show as the writer of THE CHANGELING.  He went on to write 3 more stories, and produce 10 episodes, including 3 out of the 4 "parallel Earth" stories this season.

My father proved prophetic. While watching BALANCE OF TERROR, on seeing Mark Lenard, he actually blurted out, "Hey, it's Spock's father!"  A year later-- he was proven right!  I suppose it could be seen as typecasting, using the same actor to play both a Romulan and a Vulcan.  Meanwhile, Spock's mother Amanda was played by Jane Wyatt, a veteran of 196 episodes of FATHER KNOWS BEST-- as well as Ronald Colman's love interest in Frank Capra's immortal classic, LOST HORIZON.  Lenard would later return in the cartoon series, the film series, and ST:TNG, while Wyatt would return in both the cartoon and film series.

Kirk gets into another knock-down drag-out fight in the hallway, this time with William O'Connell, who later played the cowardly barber in HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER, and a member of the Black Scorpions in ANY WHICH WAY BUT LOOSE.  He has one of the great classic lines during his death scene, when, after estimating he has 10 minutes to live before an incurable poison kills him, he suddenly keels over and says, "I seem to have miscalculated..."

The plot about Orion raiders would have its own sequel in THE PIRATES OF ORION, the 5th season opener (2nd season of the cartoon show).

Gerald Fried is credited with music this time, and while he may have written some new tracks, what I recognized in this one were reused cues from THE CORBOMITE MANEUVER, AMOK TIME and THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE (the latter by Sol Kaplan, of course).  There may be more, but I'd have to study it in detail to be sure.  Once again, both "Kirk Does It Again" (for the climax) and the Spock-Decker debate (the aftermath) were reused.

Both Spock and Sarek persist in maintaining that emotions are "human" qualities, but it's very obvious they're both full of it.  Vulcans are not without emotions.  Vulcans have VERY STRONG emotions.  They just supress and hide them and deny they exist.  Just as Kirk and McCoy so often try to get Spock to admit to it, Amanda does the same with both her son and her husband.  This is the focus of a great joke at the end of the story.  "Emotional, isn't she?"  "She has always be so."  "Indeed.  Why did you marry her?"  "At the time, it seemed the logical thing to do." The look on Amanda's face tells you she KNOWS he's full of it.

This one never gets old!
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #1571 on: January 15, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »

Have you guys ever watched super friends on DVD and you tube?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1572 on: January 15, 2013, 09:09:31 PM »

I was around when Super Friends was first run. I never really cared for the Wonder Twins or the first couple of kids.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1573 on: January 15, 2013, 09:26:40 PM »

Yeah, why did the writers  feel they had to write kids into the scripts? We wanted to watch the heroes, not some dumb sidekicks! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #1574 on: January 18, 2013, 10:27:13 PM »

Have any of you guys watched legends of the superheroes on dvd yet?
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.