in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 716186 times)

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1575 on: January 18, 2013, 11:53:51 PM »

Movies I have watched this week:

Orumcek
The Black Rose
The Spy with My Face
Lady Black Cat
Lady Black Cat Strikes Again
Vigilante
Krissh
Silver Hawk
Black Mask I & II

been a busy week!

RB @ Work.
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #1576 on: January 18, 2013, 11:58:27 PM »

Movies I have watched this week:

Orumcek
The Black Rose
The Spy with My Face
Lady Black Cat
Lady Black Cat Strikes Again
Vigilante
Krissh
Silver Hawk
Black Mask I & II

been a busy week!

RB @ Work.

Wow,That is good news.
Can you Please e-mail me atact1120@aol.comwhen you get the chance?
Thank you very much.
By the way,what do you think of elementary?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 12:00:57 AM by fate man »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1577 on: January 19, 2013, 01:04:27 AM »

We just came back from seeing Lincoln. My wife is a Civil War buff. It would have been better if shorter and on TV.
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #1578 on: January 19, 2013, 02:54:35 AM »

We just came back from seeing Lincoln. My wife is a Civil War buff. It would have been better if shorter and on TV.

Wow,awesome.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1579 on: January 19, 2013, 09:31:52 AM »

I really enjoyed Lincoln.  Top-notch writing and some stellar performances.  Daniel Day-Lewis, in particular, gives an amazing performance.  I, personally, did not find it overlong but have heard the same complaint from others who saw it.  It may depend on how much interest you have in the subject matter.  I enjoy reading histories and biographies so it was right up my alley.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1580 on: January 19, 2013, 09:36:37 AM »

Have any of you guys watched legends of the superheroes on dvd yet?

I saw them when they first aired back in the late 1970s.  I found them kinda' goofy and rather disappointing at the time.  I would rather have seen them played straight.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1581 on: January 20, 2013, 02:04:52 PM »

Has anyone here seen the new Primeval spinoff- Primeval:New World yet?

I understand it started airing in Canada over Space last October and recently began broadcasting over Watch in the UK.  It; supposed to be showing over Syfy here in the States but as yet I've heard no start date.

Curious

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1582 on: January 20, 2013, 04:02:23 PM »

Yes, indeedy.  We watched ep. 2 last night and it was enjoyable.  The first part set things up and immediately we had intrigue, a team coming together, a mystery, a blast from the past and a nasty big dinosaur.  Can't say much more without spoiling it.  We will keep watching although one bit frightened the life out of Linda.  She can't stand ******
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1583 on: January 20, 2013, 09:04:53 PM »

Thanks, Paw.  I understand that Syfy will be airing the show later this year in the States although no official dates have been given yet.  I understand it'll be a 13 episode season.

I did enjoy the first episode of Ripper Street last night on BBC America.  I guess you're a few episodes ahead of us on that one.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #1584 on: January 20, 2013, 10:41:29 PM »

Yeah,right on.,by the way,did you ever watch the 1996 doctor who tv movie starring paul mcgann?
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1585 on: January 21, 2013, 12:14:48 PM »

I've never seen that incarnation of the good Doctor although I've seen McGann in other projects, most recently in episodes of Luther.  I understand he appears in one of the upcoming episodes of Ripper Street too.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1586 on: January 21, 2013, 02:32:35 PM »

The McGann Doctor is available on dvd.  But the best bit in the film has to be Sylvester McCoy, for me.  A bit like Dynamite changing important things, this film does the same with the Doctor, to a certain extent.  As I'm not a McGann fan, my judgement is perhaps coloured.  Nor did I enjoy his Big Finish Audio stories.
Inerestingly, Bernard Cribbins was interviewed this morning on Radio Scotland and, of course, Doctor Who was mentioned but not the Peter Cushing film - odd.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1587 on: January 21, 2013, 04:27:57 PM »

Although I'd seen random episodes of Doctor Who before (both the old and the new series), I never got into it until this past summer--in a round about way. I'd been searching the internet to watch Hammer horror movies and other horror movies and having some pretty good luck finding these online. I don't have Netflix or use torrents or anything like that, so I was just doing video searches and finding what was available for free. I really got into the Hammer stuff with Peter Cushing and began to appreciate him as a great actor, so I looked for some of his other roles. Which is how I came to watch the first Doctor Who movie starring Cushing.

That got me interested in finding out more about Doctor Who. It was kind of shocking and amusing to me that Cushing's Who is regarded as some sort of red-headed step-child by serious Who fans (a flawed attitude, I think). But nevertheless I ploughed on and found lots of good Who video freely available online, like the McGann movie--which was made here in my hometown of Vancouver even though it's supposed to be San Francisco.

I've watched all of the Ninth, Tenth, and Eleventh Doctor online. And I've been following the current season, which is available in Canada on Spacecast. I've also watched the first arc of the First Doctor and some of the other Doctors--and I know there's a lot more of these vintage episodes that I could watch online, whenever I get the urge to see more of them.

Not that I would discourage someone from getting the DVDs--but if you're really in a hurry to see the McGann movie or anything else, it's all out there online. You just have to search for it.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1588 on: January 21, 2013, 04:46:46 PM »

Right now...

THE AVENGERS  (Tara King episodes)
THE SAINT  (last season of Roger Moore)
KUNG FU: THE LEGEND CONTINUES  (2nd season)
STAR TREK  (3rd season)
THE MONKEES  (1st season)
STRIKE FORCE  (this deserved more than the one season it got; been meaning to get to these ever since I watched all of my UNTOUCHABLES tapes!!)

I also recently was watching DARK SHADOWS, from the introduction of Barnabas. Got all the way up to the downfall of Nicholas Blair. At that point, it seemed like a good place to take a break.  Only the 2nd time I saw the 1968 episodes, and I never liked the whole "Cassandra" / Adam" / "Nicholas" / "Eve" story the first time.

Their adaptation of "The Turn Of The Screw" is next.  When I get back to it.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1589 on: January 21, 2013, 05:09:01 PM »

jimmm, you're right, there is so much out there and like you, I don't have Netflix, nor do I use torrents.
The Cushing films are considered a bit naff by some fans but it's Peter Cushing.
You might want a look at this site which covers some of the Audio Visuals releases on audio tape and starred Nick Briggs as the doctor (apart from the first one)  I was lucky enough to obtain copies of the shows and some are really good stories.
http://www.justyce.org/
I know I've said this before but Patrick Troughton is my favourite Doctor. (Could that be because of Zoe?)
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #1590 on: January 21, 2013, 05:35:50 PM »

Yeah,right on,by the way,any of you ever watch ultimate spider-man and the avengers:earth's mightiest heroes on disney XD?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1591 on: January 21, 2013, 09:51:40 PM »

I very much enjoy Spidey and the Avengers.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1592 on: January 22, 2013, 01:35:44 AM »

Thanks for the A/V link.

I find it pretty darn cool that even though the British-Canadian co-production effort to revive Who failed with McGann, he still went on to do many audio versions of the character--and seems to be one of the more popular versions among fans. Of course, I'll always remember him for "Withnail and I."

Back in the late 60s/early 70s--as soon as our family got cable--I'd come home from school to watch Dark Shadows. I have fond memories of that show and watching it with my parents and my siblings--everyone caught up in the whole drama. Lots of great actors in that series. I did not know that Jonathan Fridd was Canadian at the time, but I'm proud to know it now--and it's fun to think that this ordinary looking journeyman actor in his middle age was a heartthrob for many.

I got the 45 single of "Quentin's Theme" (with "At the Blue Whale" on the B side) back when that tune was on the charts. And I also bought the third issue of DARK SHADOWS from Gold Key, which had inside a giant fold-out poster of the cover (featuring Barnabas). I still have the record and the comic, but the poster is long gone.

I never bothered to see the Tim Burton movie (and from all accounts I doubt I would have enjoyed it).
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #1593 on: January 22, 2013, 11:59:39 PM »

Yeah,I Never saw the tim burton movie,either.
by the way,you ever watch monchichis on youtube?
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1594 on: January 23, 2013, 12:41:02 PM »

I bought the Lil Missus The Complete Dark Shadows for Christmas. 

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Complete-Original-Deluxe/dp/B007PZ6SYK/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1358944714&sr=1-1&keywords=complete+dark+shadows

She has been working her way through the pre-Barnabas episodes from 1966 so far.

I was usually only able to watch it during the summer during its original run as it came on before school let out.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1595 on: January 23, 2013, 08:13:28 PM »

Do you know? I've never seen Dark Shadows. 
Last night the new Lewis got off to a good start, can't wait for part 2 next week.  Death in Paradise was terrific entertainment last night, plus you get Don Warrington and his amazing voice in this story.  Missed Primeval so hunting about for a re-show.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1596 on: January 24, 2013, 02:25:19 AM »

I think DARK SHADOWS was usually on at 3:30 or 4:00 when I was a kid.  I remember, the first time I saw it, it was on at a friend's house.  I barely had any idea what was going on, but they had some big guy locked up in a basement.  Many years later, I figured out it was part of the "Adam" story (their version of FRANKENSTEIN).

My brother started watching it, and like so many things, I began as well, during "The Ghost Of Quentin" story.  (Decades later, I found out this was an tribute to "The Turn Of The Screw", also filmed as "The Innocents".)  These 2 kids were possessed by a ghost, and their govern-ness (I understood the concept from MARY POPPINS- heh), "Maggie Evans", was being terrified.  I took an immeidately liking to her.  Actress Kathryn Leigh Scott became my favorite on the show, at least when she was on the show.

Then things got VERY strange.  Barnabas, Julia, and Professor Stokes, went down into the basement and decided to use something called the "I-Ching Wands", in order to cast some sort of spell, in an attempt to contact the ghost, and find out WHY the bastard was haunting the house.  According to Stokes, once cast. Barnabas would go into a trance, he'd see a door, and walk thru, and once thru, he would find the answers he sought.  But instead... he found himself trapped inside a coffin, he realized he was-- get this-- once again under the curse of being a VAMPIRE (!!!!!!!), and, he had somehow been transported back in time to the yar 1897!!! Talk about your "WTF????" moments!!!

I continued watching during this "1897" thing... but after a few weeks, got bored and dropped off.  I rarely ever watched every episode of anything as a kid, but continued stories-- especially a story that continued 5 days a week, was just something I was not used to (ewxcept for following daily adventure comic-strips in the newspapers, like MANDRAKE, THE PHANTOM or BUZ SAWYER).

Months later, a bit older, maybe with a bit more patience, I happened to tun in the show again.  Things had changed.  Now Barnabas had a tentative ally in the form of this beautiful blonde girl named Angelique, who was apparently a witch. It also seemed they had a "history", and had once been enemies, but were not allies.  I contined watching as the story ended, then ABRUPTLY moved to 1795, then to 1969, and a new story, about "The Leviathans" started.  I got a few months into this... before dropping off again.  As you can see, I never quite made it back then all the way thru one of these long, long, LONG storiylines.

I'll pont out now that, while watching the show in reruns in the 1980's, on PBS, I was delighted to see the "1897" story again... and TOTALLY STUNNED when it kept going, and going, and GOING, until I suddenly realized-- MY GOD!!! --when I had started watching again, back then, Barnbas had not travelled back to 1897 AGAIN.. he was STILL there!  The "1897" story actually stretched over 9 MONTHS of the show!!!  Good grief.

I will agree with the general concensus, however, that the "1897" storyline-- which, by the way, almost neatly breaks down into 3 major sections-- is probably the BEST-WRITTEN in the show's entire run.  A close 2nd, in my opinion, might be the first 8 months or so, which focus mostly on Burke Devlin (Mitchell Ryan).  I didn't get to see those until about 12 years ago, when I saw them on the Sci-Fi Channel.  At that point, the ENTIRE RUN had finally found its way into syndication.  I was able, for the first time, to see al the way to the end of the show, then start over at the beginning.  So much I'd never seen before. What a charge!

The tragedy of "1897", by the way, is that longtime producer Robert Costello left the show a few weeks before that long story finally drew to a close.  For about 8 months, the writing, and the PACING, were damn near as perfect as could be imaginable for such a series.  then the new producer took over, and he was apparently in a HURRY to wrap things up, sweep the story under the carpet, and move on ot his new idea, "The Leviathans" (a tribute to H.P. Lovecraft's C'thulu mythos). And as a result, the last 4 weeks (I feel) were CRAMMED into 2 weeks, almost totally ruining the end of the story.  I wish Costello had stuck around, if only for just one more month.  It would have been much better if there'd been some kind of a clean break, an end to one epic, a beginning to another.  But soaps almost never work that way.  Too bad they don't follow the example of MANDRAKE or THE PHANTOM, where there is NO overlap.

Hey-- STAR BLAZERS was like that!  Each season (made several years apart) consisted one one big 26-episode-long story.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1597 on: January 24, 2013, 03:23:33 AM »

I remember that our family started watching "Dark Shadows" when it was set in present day, before Quentin's ghost appeared on the scene. I think it came on after "One Life to Live"--which we also watched. I was surprised to find out that the character of Larry on OLTL, played by Michael Storm, was originally played by his brother James Storm who played Gerard Stiles on DS.

Since the whole family was following the series, it was pretty easy to keep up with it. Even if one of us had to miss an episode, the others could fill us in.

A lot of the actors played multiple roles. The story about the hand, which I think introduced the leviathan story, was kind of creepy, but not really my thing. I liked the story with Roger Davis as a werewolf--I forget his character name, since Davis played many different characters--and also Quentin as a werewolf.

Jerry Lacy as Reverend Trask was really frightening. There was a commercial on at the same time, where Lacy played a Humphrey Bogart character. My sister insisted it was the same actor--I couldn't believe it, but of course she was right.

Maggie Evans was my favourite character--the actress who played her was very easy on the eyes. I didn't like Angelique--she was always getting in the way of Barnabas having a good time.

Our family as a whole started to lose interest when the story switched to a parallel universe.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1598 on: January 24, 2013, 01:46:55 PM »

"Jerry Lacy as Reverend Trask was really frightening. There was a commercial on at the same time, where Lacy played a Humphrey Bogart character. My sister insisted it was the same actor--I couldn't believe it, but of course she was right."

He played 3 different generations of Trasks on the show-- each of them self-serving, corrupt and evil.  The original, 1795 version had Victoria Winters condemned as a witch, but was bricked up in the basement by Barnabas. Later, when Julia & Stokes held a seance to contact Trask, so that he could go after the real witch (Angelique), FIRST, his ghost made a point of bricking Barnabas up in the basement!

He also played Tony Peterson, the lawyer who got involved with Carolyn-- and later, "Cassandra" (that B****!).

At certain times over the years, I felt some sympathy for Angelique, wishing she'd clean up her act... but this most recent time of me watching the 1967-68 episodes, I found NOTHING sympathetic about her at all.  She was so aggressively selfish, destructive and evil, it was sickening. It wasn't until after Barnabas SET FIRE TO HER back in 1795 (he travelled back in time to save Vicki), and she spent 101 years IN HELL, before being summond back to Earth, that she'd finally... "mellowed" a bit.

There was a very peculiar thing about her timeline and Barnabas. Because of time travel vs. actual time passage, in the 1968 story, he'd become much older than her, but by the 1970 story (which followed the 1897 story) they were once again the same age.

The one time you really could feel sympathy for her was when we found out she'd gotten married... only her husband was a member of the Leviathan cult, and decided power was more important than love, and tried to kill her.  Imagine my SHOCK, on watching the reruns of this on Sci-Fi, to learn he was played by the SAME actor who'd broken Billie Young's heart on NIGHT COURT (Geoffrey Scott).  Walk about typecasting!

One of my favorite Woody Allen movies is, of course, PLAY IT AGAIN SAM.

"Dames are simple. I never met one who didn't understand a slap in the mouth or a slug from a forty-five."
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:49:49 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1599 on: January 28, 2013, 08:02:31 PM »

Ordered some new movies today from the Tresure Chest:

Darna Vs. The Giant Women
James Batman
Blue Demon vs Satanic Power
Neutron and the Black Mask
Santo vs the Diabolical Brain

And from Amazon:

Sidekick
Zebraman 2
The Tick (Live action) The complete Series

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.