in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715889 times)

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1650 on: March 29, 2013, 11:11:44 PM »

We also got "Robin Hood", "Ivanhoe", and "Sir Lancelot" in the late '50s and early '60's. I wondered why Paul Eddington looked so familiar on "The Good Life"- probably because he had played in so many episodes of "Robin Hood". Picked up a few episodes of "Sir Lancelot" on a Dollar Store DVD! Chers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1651 on: March 30, 2013, 12:54:19 AM »

I would get up earlier than I had to getting ready for school just so I could watch Robin Hood
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1652 on: March 31, 2013, 02:20:56 PM »

I've never seen the 1950's series ROBIN HOOD, but I have seen the Hammer Film SWORD OF SHERWOOD FOREST.  The rather unusual thing about that film is, while it was one of several the studio did based on TV series, it's the only one where they got the actual lead actor to also appear in their film version.  (Even if NO ONE else from the series did!)  I suppose one could view SWORD... as yet another of the endless "alternate" versions of ROBIN HOOD... even though it's got Richard Greene from the TV series in it.  (Considering it was directed by Terence Fisher and features Peter Cushing as the Sheriff of Nottingham, it's a minor if mostly-forgotten gem worth seeking out.)
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1653 on: April 01, 2013, 04:23:56 AM »

Sir Narf,

Package arrive yet?

RB
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1654 on: April 01, 2013, 02:13:42 PM »

Wraith looks awesome do you have it?
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1655 on: April 01, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »

No, so far I only have two covers on him. I do know that he is an AU character probably from the 1950's. I am still seeking info on him. How did you like the Super7?

I just finished wachig the Rise of the Black Bat and I have to say it was a rather enjoyable movie update considering most updated butcher the character. This was actually pretty close to the pulp origins. Rent it if you can. 3.5 stars out of 5.

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #1656 on: April 02, 2013, 12:48:35 AM »

No, so far I only have two covers on him. I do know that he is an AU character probably from the 1950's. I am still seeking info on him. How did you like the Super7?

I just finished wachig the Rise of the Black Bat and I have to say it was a rather enjoyable movie update considering most updated butcher the character. This was actually pretty close to the pulp origins. Rent it if you can. 3.5 stars out of 5.

RB @ Work

Wow,That sounds interesting.,I Have one question,however,is the rise of the black bat available on DVD?
Just asking.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1657 on: April 02, 2013, 12:54:49 AM »

Not comic related but I am really enjoying History Channels Vikings.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1658 on: April 02, 2013, 03:40:56 AM »

You can order it direct from Tomcat Films.

http://tomcatfilmsllc.com/rise-of-the-black-bat

RB
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #1659 on: April 02, 2013, 11:59:05 AM »

You can order it direct from Tomcat Films.

http://tomcatfilmsllc.com/rise-of-the-black-bat

RB

Thanks,you are the best.
Allen
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1660 on: April 03, 2013, 02:05:11 AM »

I finally polished off STAR TREK last night.  After REQUIEM FOR METHUSELAH (I decided to skip any other remaining 3rd-season eps, I watched them just 2 months ago), I saw THE COUNTER-CLOCK INCIDENT, the final ST cartoon.  Boy, most of them are good, but that one sucked.  Just stupid writing.  Oh well.

Tonight...

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA !!!!!
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1661 on: April 06, 2013, 01:20:26 PM »

Not comic related but I am really enjoying History Channels Vikings.

I've been enamored by vikings ever since reading a biography of Lief Ericson as a kid and am too enjoying the History Channel's new drama Vikings.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
GI Joe Retaliation
« Reply #1662 on: April 07, 2013, 01:21:23 AM »

Just got back from watching this. My son saw it last night and had to go again today and said we really needed to see it. It was a lot of fun. Best part is Snake Eyes getting Storm Shadow.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1663 on: April 07, 2013, 03:07:46 AM »

MIKE HAMMER:  DEAD PIDGEON
What, No Jury?

*** This review may contain spoilers ***

A possibly-crooked cop Hammer never liked is killed (a real change from it being one of Mike's "best and oldest friends") and HE's framed for the murder! After an increasing number of episodes in which Larry Barrington was slowly getting more mellowed-out, he's back to his old tricks again, OBSESSED with nailing Hammer to a wall, no matter what it takes. Pat Chambers is angry, more than usual-- at Mike for not staying off the streets while HE tries to clear him, at a group of crooked cops for assaulting Mike outside a bar, and at Barrington, for letting his personal feeling totally cloud his judgment.

And in the midst of this is the dead man's sort-of widow (they were never officially married), who was once Mike's EX... and who seems to want him back in her life again-- among other things.

Elaine Wilkes plays Mike's defense lawyer Nancy, looking far too young to have actually graduated both college AND law school (in fact, the actress was only 21 when she appeared in this episode-- having been in SIXTEEN CANDLES 2 years before). Robin Curtis (the 2nd "Saavik", from STAR TREK 3 and 4) plays Peggy Ryan, another cop who's being blackmailed by the real killer. And Randi Brooks (THE LAST PRECINCT) plays Sheila Forbes, one really HHHHHOT number who winds up appearing in the sexiest scene ever filmed for this TV series!!! (When I saw this, in the 8-9 PM time slot on a Saturday night, I knew "Family Viewing Hour" was dead and gone.)

Fred Freiberger, infamous as the producer of STAR TREK's 3rd season (and SPACE: 1999's 2nd) wrote this, and even wide awake, I still couldn't quite make sense of the ending. Why is it so hard to keep track of the logic on this show's mysteries sometimes? The most memorable thing was the climax-- a direct SWIPE from Mickey Spillane's "I, THE JURY". Only without the "How could you?" and "It was EASY."

One thing that baffles me about the 3rd season-- apart from the really STUPID name-change to "THE NEW MIKE HAMMER"-- is how, while the show got MUCH more serious and intense and stylish, the theme song became more upbeat and frivolous. If anything, the slower, moodier version from seasons 1-2 would have been a much better fit here, and vice-versa.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1664 on: April 07, 2013, 03:16:56 AM »

Latest watches have been Mothra V. Godzilla - 37 minutes of the 1964 Darna Movie "...Toud" - The Phantom's "Sign Of The Skull" six Parter. That's been it for Friday night and Saturday time.

\Richard
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1665 on: April 07, 2013, 04:34:31 PM »

Recently finished watching these DVD collections-

Wanted Dead or Alive Season 1 (1957-1958)  The series that began Steve McQueen's rise to being one of the Kings of Super-Cool.  As I watched these episodes, generally for the first time in forty years, I realized that a number of them were probably shot here in Arizona.  The Saguaro cacti being a dead give-a-way to its Sonoran Desert location filming.  Some quick research revealed that the show shot on location at Apacheland Studios out in Gold Canyon (east of Phoenix) near the Superstition Mountains (which I hiked numerous times in my younger days).

http://www.apachelandmoviestudio.com/

http://www.apachelandmoviestudio.com/apachelandstudios.htm

http://www.apachelandmoviestudio.com/goldcanyonarizona.htm

http://www.apachelanddays.com/apachelandmovies.htm

http://apacheland.com/

Green Acres Season 2   I've come to realize over the years that this series is so much better than the series that it spun off from (The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction).  It gets downright surreal at times with the 4th wall being busted through frequently and the show acknowledging that it's just a TV show.  Several episodes this season have fun with the opening credits.  One episode has them printed on the eggs that Lisa is collecting from her chickens (much to her consternation), another has them them fickering by on a TV set that Lisa is trying to tune in and yet another has one of the actors trying to avoid being hit by them as they scroll onscreen.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1666 on: April 07, 2013, 09:47:09 PM »

Green Acres is a rarity. Most shows with such unique humor only make it three seasons or less. Think Adams Family. GA and Get Smart are exceptions. They were able to remain funny while being so unique and very creative and FUNNY!
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1667 on: April 07, 2013, 10:16:45 PM »

Green Acres was a perfect show and a favourite in our house. But you have to remember it was on CBS with all these other superb shows that had a sort of country theme--and it was itself spun off from Pettycoat Junction which was spun off from Beverley Hillbillies. And CBS was the king network back then. I don't know what lead-in Green Acres had, but it probably won a lot of viewers by being surrounded by other popular shows. On another network it likely wouldn't have done as well.

But then in the 70s, CBS became embarassed by their rural roots and they wanted to be seen as urban and hip, so they dumped all those great shows and put on shows that were supposed to be intellectually superior.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1668 on: April 07, 2013, 10:58:45 PM »

They did the same thing with Dukes of Hazard and Hee Haw. Both turned out to be popular long running shows. Dukes was actually allowed to run on network but Hee Haw was a syndicated hit.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1669 on: April 08, 2013, 01:36:23 AM »

Is anyone else watching BBC America's Orphan Black. It sure has me hooked in.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1670 on: April 08, 2013, 03:42:33 AM »

THE DUKES OF HAZZARD was a lot later.  I think that was inspired by SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT (1977), wasn't it?  HEE HAW (1968) was like the "country" answer to LAUGH-IN.  It was cancelled after 2 seasons. Whereupon it went into first-run syndication, and, because it wound up being picked up by MORE stations than had been running it on the network, it started making MORE money!  TAKE THAT, network!!!

Crazy enough, the SAME thing happened with THE LAWRENCE WELK SHOW, which had been on the air since the early 1950s (I think). It was cancelled by the network about the same time as HEE HAW, but it, too, continued on in first-run syndication, making MORE money than before it had been booted off the network. That was my Dad's favorite program!
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1671 on: April 08, 2013, 04:58:50 AM »

Narf, "Orphan Black" is one of my new must-watches! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1672 on: April 08, 2013, 09:16:32 AM »

This is the first time I've heard of Green Acres but our family were regular viewers of Beverley Hillbillies.
Absolutely intrigued by your links to Apacheland, Joe.  Thanks.  I noticed the "Have Gun Will Travel" card, top left and couldn't find a mention of it on a quick scan through the pages.  Was it also filmed there?  I loved that show.
Here, last night was the final episode of Foyle's War, ever?
This short 3 episode series has been excellent and a bit darker than the wartime set, long running series.  Cold war dirty tricks everywhere and Anthony Horowitz, the writer, doesn't let Britain off easy.  No punches pulled here.  Watch out for it.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1673 on: April 08, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »

Jimmm,  Wikipedia has a pretty good piece here about the network's "rural purge" of the early 1970s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_purge

Narf,  you can put me down as another watcher of BBC America's new series Orphan Black.

Paw, yes Have Gun Will Travel did indeed film out at Apacheland,

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1674 on: April 11, 2013, 11:01:50 PM »

In the late 60's, they got rid of spy shows, sci-fi shows, super-hero shows, any sitcoms with "imaginative" premises, and "rural" shows.

No wonder 1970 or so was so BLAND!    :(
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.