in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715842 times)

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1700 on: April 28, 2013, 02:48:40 PM »

I just found My Living Doll on HULU. This program was thought to have had all copies destroyed. It is great that there is always a saver around. I loved this show when it ran originally. In case you are unaware the beautiful Julie Newmar is a robot in this series. I just found it on there today so I have not watched it yet. I am sure it will not be as good as when I was 8 but I will like if for nostalgia's sake at least. Now I know that Mr. Terrific has survived so maybe Hulu will pick it up. They already have My Mother the Car and I also found The Mother In Laws today.

There's a good thread about MY Living Doll and some of the problems that have gone on with finding surviving episodes over at Nitrateville.

http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14710&sid=bc4d8081f085f296b5eecb54c3519e54

Best

Joe

P.S.  Here's an informative thread about the problems with the original Dragnet and some other Jack Webb productions.

http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14743&sid=bc4d8081f085f296b5eecb54c3519e54

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1701 on: April 28, 2013, 06:09:34 PM »

THE FACE OF FU MANCHU  (1965)

This guy (Christopher Lee) is worse than any Bond villain ever was. In one sequence, he's resposible for the deaths of 3,000 people!!!  It's no wonder that at the end, the hero (Nigel Green) BLOWS him to hell without any kind of warning.

I'd swear "Lin Tang" (Tsai Chin) was the inspiration for Wally Wood's "Madame Toy" in his CANNON series.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1702 on: April 28, 2013, 06:56:30 PM »

This is available on youtube. Youtube's WII app makes watching on TV pretty good. The close caption on older shows is computer generated and hilarious. I put cc on Star Maidens and was LMAO. Every once in awhile it would get a sentence right but then what came next was unpredictable. I like the show but I like it more with cc. It is like watching an autocorrect movie.

Closed caption comes in handy with UK films. In the UK the various accents sometimes makes it difficult to understand what the actors are saying. Scots actors often sound like they have a bad head cold and a snootful of whiskey, which is probably common enough in the highlands anyway.
In a K-9 spin off of Dr Who a robot policeman said "OY(oigh=Grandson), you there, Wots all this then?"

Its actually easier to understand Alex and his Droogies in "A Clockwork Orange" than to understand some UK actors.
PS
Some hill people in the Carolinas still speak unaltered Elizabethan English, which is as hard to understand as Klingon.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:07:48 PM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1703 on: April 28, 2013, 08:06:39 PM »

I remember when I was 20 and in the navy and our ship made port at Liverpool (an out of the way stop, after a voyage I won't go into). The captain took us there as a reward, but it was a long Easter weekend and most of the shops were closed (vendors were invited onto the ship where they sold their wares). I didn't get much time off for shore leave, but the night we tied up, my bud J.R. and I went into Liverpool proper and our first stop was at a bar called The American. I remember seeing Blondie on the TV for the first time as I sat at that bar with my bud and the maid behind the bar was talking, but I could not understand a single word she said. It sounded Gaelic, but I know it was probably English. Hers was the thickest accent I'd ever heard--others I could make out more or less. We had to leave that bar when a fight broke out, seemingly for no reason as two blokes proceeded to bash each other faces in with bloody results. Another Liverpuddlian who had befriended us quite quick advised us it was prudent to leave right away as the coppers would be arriving very short (which led to another adventure I won't get into).

Nevertheless, I find it disconcerting when American broadcasters run subtitles under English programs. In most cases, I can usually figure out what the people are saying. And figuring it out is half the fun.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1704 on: May 01, 2013, 12:43:32 PM »

The thickest accent I've had a challenge dealing with is Brian Glover's as Peter Davison's sidekick on CAMPION. I wish that show had lasted longer. Davison was 10 times better on there than he ever was on DOCTOR WHO. (There's the difference writing can make.)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1705 on: May 02, 2013, 05:48:01 PM »

Haw, heh, jist a wee minute there, 'n' 'at! Dae youse no' unerstaun whit ah'm talkin' aboot, eh?
Before you click any of these links, be aware - BAD LANGUAGE, all over the shop - SERIOUSLY OFFENSIVE and all on the t.v.
Sorry about that but if you want to hear how it's really done, try a bit of Rab.  Rab C. Nesbitt, that is:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7VoFiagfs

Here's the great Stanley Baxter:-
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqIAQo4JRGx4AFIL7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBrc3VyamVwBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQD?p=parliamo+Glasgow&vid=53455ba928ce8e3251c97db864b5f69c&l=16%3A48&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DV.4953588654276688%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTfCk_yNuTGk&tit=Stanley+Baxter+-+Parliamo+Glasgow+Sketches&c=2&sigr=11aas0sa4&age=0&fr=moz2-ytff-tyc&tt=b

And the inimitable Jack and Victor:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5-z4iMBFZA

For all you Doctor Who fans Sylvester McCoy guests in this episode, quite sad, this story:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btUjdY2sO00

Quite a few Scottish made shows had subtitles added for showing in England.  Caused a great deal of annoyance up here.

Adding Chewin the Fat.  Go to 3.41 for the totally useless actor, Ronald Villiers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDzZlcDUr4o
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:33:32 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1706 on: May 02, 2013, 08:49:36 PM »

"Haw, heh, jist a wee minute there, 'n' 'at! Dae youse no' unerstaun whit ah'm talkin' aboot, eh?"

In a more sane universe, Maurice Colbourne's character ("Commander Lytton") would have survived the end of ATTACK OF THE CYBERMEN to become a recurring "shady" character on DOCTOR WHO.  And Brian Glover would also have survived, to become a new travelling companion for Colin Baker!  (Imagine how funny that could have been.)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1707 on: May 03, 2013, 09:17:17 AM »

A sane universe?  :o  While a couple of the links are seriously sweary, I've seen them a few times and still fall off my chair laughing.  You might have to experience the wide range of Scottish cultures but Rab, Jack and Victor are representative of a lot of what goes on, in much the same way as Burns and Alexander McCall Smith reflect other aspects in their writing. ;D
As for Lytton - what a great character and, oddly, I suppose, I never have trouble with Brian Glover's accent.  But sometimes on my favourite American shows I just can't make out some of the dialogue. ;)
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1708 on: May 04, 2013, 11:21:32 AM »

As a friend of mine in Wales pointed out, the "problem" with Lytton was horribly bad writing.  In RESSURECTION OF THE DALEKS, there's no question that he was a BAD guy. He killed countless people that we know of, seemed to enjoy it, tried to kill The Doctor at least once (at a point where we were supposed to start thinking better of him), and even killed some of his own men. Then he walked away at the end as if nothing happened.  WTF????  We never even knew FOR SURE if the guy we saw onscreen was supposed to be the "real" Lytton, or a clone, though there didn't seem to be much difference in his case.

Then he spends most of ATTACK OF THE CYBERMEN being so cagey and confrontational with The Doctor, as if all he's doing is enjoying watching the guy squirm. At the very end, we're supposed to believe (simply because we're TOLD so) that HE was working to take down The Cybermen. Well, if that's true, he went about it in the worst, most convoluted & incompetent way possible. Then you have the scene where the Doctor is made to feel "guilty" for having "misjudged" the guy. B***S***!!! Lytton made it impossible for The Doctor to have done anything else. This is bad writing on top of bad writing.  Not only do you have a writer who pointlessly throws away a promising character for no good reason, at the same time he goes out of his way to make us dislike the show's hero!  I mean-- WTF!!!!!! (The show improved a thousandfold the moment Eric Saward left.)

Just about every "regular"-- and possibly every CHARACTER or ACTOR at all-- who appeared on the show during JNT's run as producer-- got better writing on just about every other show they ever appeared in.  Peter Davison was an extreme case. He is so damn likable... but on DOCTOR WHO, he is, in my eyes, absolutely NOT "The Doctor" (barring the odd scene here or there, which turn up in the midst of seasons' worth of otherwise horrible writing).  I mean, hell-- he felt more like "The Doctor" to me when he was "Albert Campion"! I love how Albert clearly liked and cared about his manservant "Lugg"-- but at the same time, he would NEVER take any crap from the guy.

Brian Glover is fun to watch, and that includes trying to figure out half the words he's saying.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:24:28 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1709 on: May 10, 2013, 03:41:46 PM »

Whatcha Watchin'?  Right now...

THE AVENGERS -- middle of the 2nd Purdey & Gambit season
THE SAINT -- almost done with Roger Moore, just saw "To Kill A Saint", which turned out to be one of the BEST in the entire run!
KUNG FU: THE LEGEND CONTINUES -- midway thru the 3rd season, the "Caine family tree" continues to get more complicated, confusing and convoluted (also, the station that ran these back then clearly ran some episodes in the wrong order)
MIKE HAMMER -- getting near the end of the 3rd season
DARK SHADOWS -- November 1969.  "Oberon" & "Haza" have appeared.  The biggest succession of "WTF???" moments in the show's entire history have just happened.  Yes, and Peter Miner took over for the departed Robert Costello.  Need I spell it out?  "The Leviathans" story has begun...  (AAAAAAAAAAUGH!!!)

Oh yeah, and by coincidence (?), last week my latest viewing of the POE flicks got up to THE HAUNTED PALACE.  This is why I'm now convinced "Lady Kitty Hampshire" was NOT really the reincarnation of Josette, but instead, had been POSSESSED by her spirit. (Just like Charles Dexter Ward was possessed by Joseph Curwen.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 03:45:51 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

CLANAD

message icon
« Reply #1710 on: May 10, 2013, 04:06:27 PM »

I finally got around to watching the last episode of Dollhouse. Interesting concluded series. It could have an annual movie like Alien Nation did which would be cool. I almost gave up on Dollhouse early on thinking it was going to be nearly the same show every time. Boy was I wrong as it developed into a visual novel that had a Beginning -middle- and end. I loved Stargate and Atlantis gave up on Universe as too dark. I guess the popularity of the dark Battlestar Galactica made them decide to go that direction. Not for me I did not like the new Galactica although I loved the old. I also gave up on Fringe.
I liked Fringe but due to my job It kind of got away from me.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1711 on: May 10, 2013, 05:23:41 PM »

Last night
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1712 on: May 10, 2013, 06:51:52 PM »

When I think of those Sinbad movies I can not help but think of Jane Seymore  ;D
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1713 on: May 11, 2013, 08:47:31 AM »

More DS thoughts...

So then you have Barnabas apparently "possessed" (and controlled by) someone those 2 weirdos refer to as their "Master". The show winds up borrowing elelemtns from both THE HAUNTED PALACE and, for most of the story, THE DUNWICH HORROR (although the AIP film didn't come out until AFTER DS had already done their version of it!!).

Lovecraft must have been big around then.  The Nov'1970 issue of VAMPIRELLA saw Archie Goodwin doing HIS version of things, with "Who Serves The Cause Of Chaos?", with The Crimson Chronicles filling in for The Necronomicon.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1714 on: May 11, 2013, 01:33:18 PM »

Feature films watched the last couple of months-

The Cabin in the Woods (2011), Puss in Boots (2011), Wonder Woman (2009), It Happened at the World's Fair (1963), Ice Age: Continental Drift (2012), Black Belt Jones (1974), Rise of the Guardians (2012), Stay Away, Joe (1968), Female (1933), Secrets of Scotland Yard (1944), Three on a Match (1932), It's in the Bag (1945), The Grey (2011), Eight Bells (1935), The Expendables 2 (2012), Moonrise Kingdom (2012), North of the Great Divide (1950), Brave (2012), Fangs of Destiny (1927), The Ninth Guest (1934), Shooter (2007), Lightning Bug (2004), Santo en la Frontera del Terror (1981), Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970), The Virginian (1929), Godzilla Vs. Biollante (1989), My Young Auntie (1981), Loose Ankles (1929), Girl on the Run (1953), The Call (2013), The Beach Girls and the Monster (1965), Paranorman (2012), The Wrecking Crew (1968), The Avengers (2012), Evil Dead (2013), Stark Fear (1963), Wyoming Outlaw (1939), and The Werewolf of Washington (1973).

Several animated features, a couple Elvis movies (including the one he shot in northern Arizona), a Godzilla I'd never seen, finishing up my Dean Martin- Matt Helm quartet and the usual eclectic bunch of films.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1715 on: May 11, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »

Wonder Woman (2009)? Is that an animated movie? I know there was the pilot for the Wonder Woman TV show that never got the green light, but I don't remember a Wonder Woman movie.

Most of the movies I see these days are on the internet. I get a few movies on DVD (but only if the price is right and if they're movies I expect to watch more than once), but I rarely go to a movie theatre anymore.

In the 1980s, at university, I took lots of film studies courses, where I met my close circle of friends (all movie buffs, some of whom ended up making movies and/or working in movie theatres). I saw so many movies back then and continued to go to movie theatres every week (back when there were cheapskate Tuesdays), up until the mid-90s. That's when there was a long projectionists' strike and being a working class guy I couldn't cross a picket line. So I learned to live without movies and realized that it wasn't that difficult. After that the ticket prices kept going higher. A movie has to be really special for me to pay those prices now.

There are also some actors that I can't stand--like Jim Carrey and Robert Downey Jr.--who prevent me from seeing any movies they're in.

It Happened at the World's Fair (1963) is one of my favourite Elvis movies. That's a movie I've seen over and over and over again since I was a little boy. Back in '62, our whole family travelled by train from Vancouver to Seattle to see the World's Fair. It was the biggest adventure of my young life. I remember riding the monorail and seeing Superman on the TV in the hotel room.

IT HAPPENED AT THE WORLD'S FAIR became so married with my memory of the actual World's Fair that I feel like me and my family were in that movie.  I just love the ending, where Elvis sings "Happy Ending"--we use to sing that around the house all the time. It always brings a smile.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1716 on: May 12, 2013, 01:21:46 PM »

Jimm, Yes the Wonder Woman feature was an animated production.  Something I picked up at Big Lots and which I'm sure cost $3.00 or less.

Here's more about it at the IMDB-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186373/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_4

I get a lot of the movies, documentaries and tv shows I watch from our local library which has tons on DVD.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1717 on: May 12, 2013, 03:54:37 PM »

Thanks for the link to the trailer, Joe.  Does not load on my pad so I'll have ago when I fire up the computer later.
Last week we watched, on dvd, The Long Arm, a beautifully made British police procedural with Jack Hawkins plus, The Ghost Train with Arthur Askey and Richard Murdoch.  Old, b&w, nonsense and funny.  We could act both of them, we've watched them that often.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1718 on: May 12, 2013, 07:20:47 PM »

Paw,

I agree that The Ghost Train (1941) is great fun.  Directed by the under-rated Walter Forde, who was adept at both comedies and mysteries and who had also directed the earlier 1931 version of The Ghost Train (with Jack Hulbert). 

Then there's Will Hay's Oh, Mr. Porter is which is also a variation of the story and one of Hay's best films.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1719 on: May 13, 2013, 01:01:42 AM »

Tonight:  MY DARLING CLEMENTINE.

I was in the mood for a western... and this is the only one I have with Tim Holt in it!
http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2012/05/tim-holt.html

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1720 on: May 13, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »

"Will Hay's Oh, Mr. Porter" josemas
Oh yes and up there with it is Ask A Policeman.

ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1721 on: May 13, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »

Have you ever seen El Senor Tormenta?
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1722 on: May 14, 2013, 03:47:18 AM »

MIKE HAMMER: MURDER TAKES ALL

Stacy Keach's series was inexplicably axed after 3 seasons. Not too long after, they did another TV-movie, this one set almost entirely in in Las Vegas. Someone kidnaps Mike and then straps him into a parachute and pushes him out of an airplane. When he arrives in town, he's pissed. Whatta ya know, shortly after, he's FRAMED for a murder. The rest of the story is his stumbling across one murder after another, and being suspected of being the killer in all cases. It gets frustrating, and worse, boring, very quickly. Perhaps this is why we didn't get to see a SERIES of TV-movies following up this one?

Lindsay Bloom, who had inexplicably VANISHED halfway thru season 3 (a succession of "temps" filled Velda's slot as Velda was reportedly on a long-overdue vacation in Europe and-- apparently-- Rio), turns up, back again, in a 3-minute cameo. As does Pat Chambers, but, thankfully, no ratface Barrington, who always reminds me of an arrogant S.O.B. I used to work with in the 80's.

Ed Winter plays the 1st murder victim; Michelle Phillips plays the Vegas casino head of security who keeps trying to have Hammer arrested over and over and over, Lynda Carter plays a woman who bails Hammer out of jail, and Jim Carrey plays an accountant who gets annoying REAL fast.

Insanely, not long after this, the same producer did COME DIE WITH ME, a total reboot which starred Rob Estes & Pamela Anderson, which had Mike Hammer as a young P.I. living on a boat in Florida, whose career was allegedly inspired by Frank Sinatra's "Tony Rome". Pat Chambers was a woman in that one...  (Why?  WHY?????)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:50:48 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1723 on: May 14, 2013, 11:06:09 PM »

This is available on youtube. Youtube's WII app makes watching on TV pretty good. The close caption on older shows is computer generated and hilarious. I put cc on Star Maidens and was LMAO. Every once in awhile it would get a sentence right but then what came next was unpredictable. I like the show but I like it more with cc. It is like watching an autocorrect movie.

I just watched the first part of a English dubbed Perry Rhodan space adventure. There was a closed caption in English option as well so I enabled that. The captioned words were way off from the audio, with Rhodan's named coming out Rodent every time.

Found some interesting German sci fi series , unfortunately with no subtitles or dubbing. The Orion series looks to have been an answer to Star Trek.
Production values (B&W) were mid way between Men Into Space and Ikare XB1.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1724 on: May 15, 2013, 05:09:19 AM »

Found some interesting German sci fi series , unfortunately with no subtitles or dubbing. The Orion series looks to have been an answer to Star Trek.
Production values (B&W) were mid way between Men Into Space and Ikare XB1.

Very interesting. I'm always looking for German programs to watch, so I can practice understanding the language.

The German title is RAUMPATROUILLE--Die phantischen Abenteur des Raumschiffes Orion. Looking at some of it on youtube, the effects are really good for 1966. Twice as good as STAR TREK (the black and white not withstanding) and ten times better than DOCTOR WHO.

According to Wikipedia, the first episode of STAR TREK aired (in the U.S.) on September 8, 1966, while the first episode of RAUMPPATROUILLE aired (in West Germany) on September 17, 1966. And STAR TREK wasn't run in West Germany until six years later, in 1972. So I think any similarities are purely coincidental.

There were only seven episodes (Folge) made and they all seem to be on youtube.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.