in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 716100 times)

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1825 on: June 23, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »

I've started to watch the first season of Thierry la Fronde (better known as "Thierry de Slingeraar" in the Netherlands).
I have the complete series, so just 3 more seasons to go......
I'm not sure if the series is well known in the English speaking countries apart from Canada (where it seemed to have been very popular back then).

Looked this up and from description and stills this seems to be a rip off of Robin Hood set in France and with the sling taking the place of the Bow and Arrow.
Apparently a remake was scheduled to begin in 2012.

Given the multitude of TV shows, comic books and movies about Robin Hood that were being made back then, it's kind of refreshing that the French tried to do something different and didn't just settle for dubbing one of the English productions into French.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1826 on: June 24, 2013, 03:10:33 AM »

I've started to watch the first season of Thierry la Fronde (better known as "Thierry de Slingeraar" in the Netherlands).
I have the complete series, so just 3 more seasons to go......
I'm not sure if the series is well known in the English speaking countries apart from Canada (where it seemed to have been very popular back then).

Looked this up and from description and stills this seems to be a rip off of Robin Hood set in France and with the sling taking the place of the Bow and Arrow.
Apparently a remake was scheduled to begin in 2012.

Given the multitude of TV shows, comic books and movies about Robin Hood that were being made back then, it's kind of refreshing that the French tried to do something different and didn't just settle for dubbing one of the English productions into French.

Found a clip from the series and it looks like they did this in the vien of the later "Hercules the Legendary Journeys" series. When the meade hall is filled with disco dancing nobles you know they are trying for historical accuracy. Sort of like the modern music of "A Knight's Tale".
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1827 on: June 28, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »

The last couple weeks of WHO...

NIGHTMARE OF EDEN
TERROR OF THE VERVOIDS
THE GREATEST SHOW IN THE GALAXY
THE HORNS OF NIMON
THE LEISURE HIVE
THE ULTIMATE FOE
THE MIND ROBBER
THE HAPPINESS PATROL
MEGLOS
PLANET OF FIRE
Professor Wagstaff's Time Machine
  (not really WHO but close...)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1828 on: June 28, 2013, 05:01:10 PM »

Totally intrigued by Professor Wagstaff's Time Machine but can't find it on Amazon.
Not sure if you know about this British time travel t.v. show:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timeslip-Complete-DVD-Region-NTSC/dp/B000BB151G/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1372438382&sr=1-2&keywords=timeslip
One of my favourites.
Although I haven't seen it for ages, isn't Terror of the Vervoids pretty bad?
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1829 on: June 28, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »

Hi, Paw. Found a few six and seven minute bits of "Timeslip" episode 2 on You Tube. I'd like to see some whole episodes. The summer tv season has started- "Falling Skies" is really outstanding so far. Lots of stuff going on, three or four different side-stories. BBC America has followed up "Orphan Black" and "Spies of Warsaw" with a smashing new season of "Copper". Was hot and cold about the last season of "Doctor Who" and I was completely surprised/shocked by the last episode! I didn't enjoy Clara as much as I thought I would- she was awfully annoying at times. I know they have teased us with John Hurt as the new Doctor, but it could just be misdirection. Some have suggested the new Doctor might even be a woman. (Clara?) PBS has a new season of "Mystery" up soon. Our local PBS still offers us "New Tricks", "Midsommer Murders", a new season of "Death in Paradise" (my favorite), and lots of "Larkrise" and "Doc Martin" reruns. Our local channel replaced "D.C.I. Banks" with "Inspector Gently", starring Martin Shaw and set in the mid-sixties. Pretty good. Saw some really interesting trailers of a new Brit series, "Broadchurch" with David Tennant. Looks quite good- has anybody watched it? Cheers, Bowers   
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1830 on: June 29, 2013, 03:18:33 PM »

Funny thing about Professor Wagstaff... if you do a Google Search, right away, it comes up at the IMDB under its original UK title-- A STITCH IN TIME  (1978).  For no reason I can fathom, it was retitled on Prism (in 1983). You could tell, the lettering in the opening credits was done very sloppily and didn't match the rest of the text.

Its US title wasn't listed at the IMDB at all, so I'm adding it.  (Like Wikipedia, the IMDB is put together by various contributors.  Unlike Wikipedia, it seems a bit less confusing to make changes, and, less likely for someone to delete your changes if they don't have "annotations". It annoys me that many "annotations" at Wikipedia, when it comes to comics, are to interviews which contain FALSE information.  But if it's online, it's "official".)

Having read some of the early WHO comics from the 60's, it seems in that vein. It's aimed at kids and stars 2 school-children (Patrick Troughton gets 3rd billing!).  Also, for anyone who's seen FRONTIOS with Peter Davison, the guy who plays the young (and initially paranoid) leader of the colonists (bordering on starvation and extinction) plays multiple parts in this, as various generations of a family of obnoxious A**H***s (the present-day version of whom is a really LOUSY school-teacher).

The time machine itself reminds me a bit of Dr. Doom's from FANTASTIC FOUR, in that it's a platform people stand on to be transported.  Troughton's character is not that far removed from Peter Cushing's in the 2 (or is it 3? heh) Amicus films.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1831 on: June 29, 2013, 07:23:55 PM »

Well I don't know if what I am watching qualifies here....

I've been looking through about 25 different movies and serials plus TV stuff & cartoons getting ready to make International Crimefighters From Around the Wordl Volume's 3 & 4. Mostly late at night, good medicine to go to sleep by. But also a great way to get in touch with old favorites and forgotten gems not watched for a long long time. I will be offering these two (and # 5 as well once ready) to DCM since the first three were given away here to I hope some happy consumers.

Richard AkA Vido G (lol)

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1832 on: June 30, 2013, 01:31:16 PM »

Watched SILVER NEMESIS again last night. My earlier suspicions have only been strengthened. There's a point where the Doctor, in very sombre terms, comments that what happened with the asteroid's tragectory may be "the biggest miscalculation since man first crawled out of the primordial sludge" (or some such words). Which made me think of "CITY OF DEATH". Why should he, of all people, think mankind arising be viewed as a bad thing? Simple-- he doesn't. The "miscalculation" would be Scaroth's spaceship exploding, which led to mankind's rise in the first place.

At the end, Ace sums it up. He DELIBERATELY set the asteroid on a faulty course, to draw the attention of The Cybermen, so he could WIPE them out. I also now believe the apprehension on his face as Lady Peintforte is threatening him is just a charade. He has to play it seriously, so The Cybermen will never suspect he's putting them all on. Minutes later, The Cyber-fleet is vaporized!

The big question I find myself pondering is, WHICH version of The Doctor met Lady Peintforte in the first "half" of this story we never got to see? If it was McCoy, it would have to have been when Mel was with him.

Also, despite both the Doctor and Lady Peintforte time-travelling, and The Cybermen looking like "this years' models", I'm not sure THEY were time-travelling. It's possible these guys only "recently" escaped Mondas' destruction in 1986, as suggested by the line about making Earth "the new Mondas". Which might suggest the Doctor who set them all up to fall was Patrick Troughton. His main recurring monsters were The Cybermen, he regenerated as a result of their first meeting, and he fits the description of "that little man". It would also explain why the Doctor had trouble remembering the prediction of Earth's possible destruction, since he set it all up a long, long time ago.

Oh yeah... and Troughton was still doing "historicals" when he started. McCoy mentions "the roundheads".
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1833 on: July 04, 2013, 11:53:47 PM »

Tonight on WHO...

"We shall continue this later.  If you need anything-- there are guards outside.  MANY guards!!!"
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1834 on: July 05, 2013, 12:26:42 AM »

Anyone else watching Whodunit and enjoying it like my family. We liked the show THE MOLE and this is similar and like combined with Clue.

BTW: Do not go see White House Down. I keep telling myself after a bad movie to check Yahoo and IMDB but forget. Sorry I did as they agreed on how bad it was. Now here is the thing I actually enjoyed watching it. It was so bad I actually had fun watching. Make no mistake the movie was very awful but if you can enjoy a Plan 9 wait until this comes on TV, don't support it with you money, but you can have fun with. Ideal for MST3K if it was still around.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1835 on: July 05, 2013, 02:17:21 AM »

Just started watching a British sci fi pilot film called "the Uninvited". Looked good from the beginning and really took off when the main character decided to explore the sunken village. This looks like it would have made a great series. Wonder if they may reboot it in the near future?
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1836 on: July 06, 2013, 02:53:04 PM »

Feature films watched the last couple of months-

Night of the Blood Beast (1958), The Undertaker and His Pals (1966), The Covered Wagon (1923), Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (2012), Bunraku (2010), Don't Answer the Phone (1980), Dragon Heat (2005), Dr. Jekyll and the Werewolf (1972), Casbah (1948), Unpublished Story (1942), Two Thousand Women (1944), Prescription Murder (1968), Godzilla Raids Again (1955), Appointment with Venus (aka Island Rescue) (1952), Iron Man 3 (2013), Ransom for a Dead Man (1971), Ellery Queen and the Murder Ring (1941), Shrek the Third (2007), Knight and Day (2010), Cash on Demand (1962), Cast a Long Shadow (1959), The City of Violence (2006), The Snorkel (1958), Fallguy (1962), Land of the Lost (2009), Never Take Candy from a Stranger (1960), Charro! (1969), The Naked Road (1959), Legend of the Fist:The Return of Chen Zhen (2010), The Avenger (1931), These are the Damned (1963), Hit the Saddle (1936), Piranha (2010), Albert Norris (2011), Frankenstein Created Woman (1967), Quartet (2012), Star Trek: Into the Darkness (2013), Bernie (2011), The Cowboys (1971), Air Force One (1997).

Included in this bunch were four Hammer suspense films from the late 1950s/early 1960s which I had never seen (three of the four being quite good), some westerns (Buck Jones' The Avenger was an especially nicely photographed B Western with Buck adopting a dual identity as the Black Shadow to avenge his brother's death while John Wayne's The Cowboys held up extremely well over the last four decades and finally Elvis' Charro! was also better than I remembered it -I particularlly enjoyed the Arizona location shooting-Apacheland and the area around the Superstition Mountains), the two Columbo pilot movies (a segue into the Lil Missus and my beginning our journey through the entire series), Ralph Bellamy's final appearance as Ellery Queen (heavily played for laughs), a trio of British WWII films watched over the Memorial Day weekend (the delightful Two Thousand Women being the  best of the group) plus some cartoons, Asian action action flicks, dramas, horror films and more.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1837 on: July 06, 2013, 03:16:33 PM »

I would like to find some more Hammer horror movies on the internet. I have been able to watch most of the Frankenstein and Dracula movies, plus some other ones. But there are many Hammer movies I can't find on the net--well, not for free, anyway. I was trying to get SHE yesterday. The best I could find was a French dubbed version, which I might try watching anyhow. Woulld like to find THE MUMMY, too. Or well, anything with Peter Cushing really.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1838 on: July 06, 2013, 07:08:26 PM »

I've gotten in the habit the last several years of watching all 8 of Roger Corman's POE films in sequence as a set, and then depending on my mood, a few others afterwards.  Having polished off the latest mini-marathon, I decided it was time to do the "other" such set... the Hammer DRACULAs.  Sometimes I watch these on their own, sometimes along with other Dracula films.  Not sure which it'll be this time.  Last week was HORROR OF DRACULA (widescreen from TCM), last night, BRIDES OF DRACULA (edited commercial station with a bad signal and technical difficulties from the early 80's).  Peter Cushing is SO good in these!

Many years back, I got a book about the history of Hammer Films.  It described so many films I have still never seen, and I hope one of these days I can do something about that.

A few years ago, I went to see a horror film-- LET ME IN-- specifically because I read it was a co-production of the newly-REVIVED Hammer company!

If there was any single horror film of the last couple decades I'd say looked and felt like a Hammer Film (except, with a much-bigger budget), it would be SLEEPY HOLLOW.  And whatta ya know, it had cameos in it from both Christopher Lee and Michael Gough!  Unlike most Hammer Films, though, it had a dense, intelligent script that was on the level of some Agatha Christies I've watched.  Highly reccomended.

Christopher Lee's best film, however, which I believe is also his favorite, is THE DEVIL RIDES OUT (released in America as THE DEVIL'S BRIDE).  I read it was intended as the first of a series of adaptations of a series of books with the same character, but didn't perform well enough at the box office to warrant a sequel.  Too bad.  Though he LOOKS like evil incarnate (actually, he looks like "The Master" from DOCTOR WHO!), Lee plays the HERO-- and he gets the BEST script of his entire career.  Charles Gray plays the villain, and is at least 10 times BETTER than he was in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1839 on: July 06, 2013, 08:07:35 PM »

Or well, anything with Peter Cushing really.

What about Vincent Price???
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1840 on: July 06, 2013, 09:06:52 PM »

I remember seeing lots of Vincent Price movies back in the 70s on the TV. I think maybe KVOS was obsessed with him.

Sure, I like Vincent Price. But I've only "discovered" Peter Cushing in the last year or so. I began watching Hammer movies for Christopher Lee and ended up finding the remarkable Peter Cushing.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1841 on: July 07, 2013, 12:13:22 AM »

I was a big Price fan in the 70's
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1842 on: July 07, 2013, 12:40:31 PM »

Price became so well known for his horror movies.,  It's fun to see him in something else.  Examples that come to mind are LAURA, where he plays one of the murder suspects (and has a Southern accent). 

Another, which I've only see once, is HIS KIND OF WOMAN.  It's a very dark, often disturbing film about a gangster who pays a man to help him change his identity (without the guy knowing what's really involved).  Price plays a peripheral character in the film, a "famous" Hollywood actor, and adds a much-needed level of outright COMEDY to what otherwise would be a story too nightmarish to stand.

And then of course there's the 5th-season episode of GET SMART he was in as a "mad pharmacist".  He really had a knack for comedy!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1843 on: July 07, 2013, 03:07:31 PM »

Price was excellent at comedy or horror
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1844 on: July 07, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »

I hardly watch any TV, just when I eat, and if there is anyone else in the room I have been banned from watching:

1) Anything b/w, especially Laurel and Hardy
2) Columbo
3) "Stupid old horrors" especially Hammer and Vincent Price
4) "Old crap comedies" Bilko being a prime target
5) Space stuff
6) Sponge Bob/Scooby Doo etc
7) Documentaries, unless they are funny and any animals in them don't get hurt

Basically anything last century is out.

Crap reality shows, any version of Saw or nasty gore is highly recommended, that show about the "good" serial killer etc I should apparently be watching.

Storage Wars/ Pawn Stars and Auction Kings stuff is an agreed compromise..... Doomsday Preppers is now on the blacklist :(

But as I watch < 30 mins a day I can live with this.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1845 on: July 07, 2013, 07:25:27 PM »

:o

LOCK the door-- and watch whatever the hell you want!

:)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1846 on: July 07, 2013, 11:40:05 PM »

Did anyone else laugh their butts off watching Ultimate Spiderman where he and hulk switched bodies
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #1847 on: July 09, 2013, 06:14:08 AM »

I know this is late, but did anyone besides Levar Burton and I HATE Into Darkness? And don't even get me started on Skyfall. Although it has ruined the entire non-Flemming Bond cannon for me, I must admit it did bring us an increasingly rare phenomenon: a great Mad spoof! Man, Mad is only bi-monthly now. You guys are making me depressed! :'(
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1848 on: July 09, 2013, 01:39:16 PM »

Yesterday, I was thinking about ordering a box set of ASTRO BOY cartoons, collecting the NBC series that ran in the early '60s. I like the comics and I remember liking these cartoons when I was a little kid, but before I put in my order, I started watching the cartoons on youtube. The first episode was not what I expected and I had more hope for the second episode to be better, but it was worse and I had to stop watching it because I was just so bored.

It's not that NBC changed Astro Boy to make it more American--like the other Saturday morning cartoons--in fact that's what I was expecting to see and that would have been interesting. Instead, it feels like they made the more depressing aspects of Astro Boy all the more depressing. Maybe i need to stick with it and watch some more youtube episodes. But right now i feel like I had a lucky escape, by not ordering that box set.

Am I missing something here? If I keep watching will I eventually see the light? If anyone can tell me, I'd like to know.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1849 on: July 09, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »

Tobor the 8th man was better, check out the you tube video's for him.

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.