in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 716023 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1875 on: July 28, 2013, 04:30:20 PM »

Did any ever notice "Doc Ock" from SPIDER-MAN 2 was in the opening sequence of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (1981) ?

He never made it out of that temple...   ;D
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1876 on: August 01, 2013, 12:45:05 PM »

Despite my earlier pessimism, there is a new series of New Tricks on BBC.  First episode (pt. 1 of a 2 parter) was on Tuesday night and was a good watch.  The Brian character is still there but not for long and it looks like Nicholas Lyndhurst is coming in as a replacement.  Well worth looking out for. 
By the way, Peter Capaldi is now bookies favourite to be the new Doctor.  He's not going to be able to exercise his amazing capacity for swearing (see, "The Thick of It) if he is the new Doc.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1877 on: August 06, 2013, 02:44:21 PM »

Recent collections watched-

Northern Exposure Season 2-  Getting more into this funny, quirky dramedy from the early 1990s.

Racket Squad and Federal Men (aka Treasury Men in Action)- Watched collections (8 episodes of each series) of these successful early 1950s crime series.  Very much in the Dragnet mode (based on real cases/names changed to protect the innocent, etc..) although both preceded Dragnet onto the airwaves.  Still they could have been influenced by the radio version of Dragnet. The first series is about investigations of the bunco squad as it tracks down swindlers, grifters and other con artists who prey on the public.  The later is about the feds tracking down counterfeiters and the like.

The Borgias Season 2-  Beautifully shot with exquisite attention to period detail and a fine cast headed by Jeremy Irons.  Not sure how faithful they actually are to history but the Lil Missus and I found it entertaining.

The Life of Riley-  When The Life of Riley made its transition from radio to television in 1949 it lacked its star William Bendix.  Bendix was under contract to RKO studios and they wouldn't allow him to do a regular television series.  So instead the producers cast a young Jackie Gleason (made up to look older than he was). 
I had heard variously that this version of the show was cancelled because- A) it didn't do well in the ratings or B) Gleason wasn't happy doing it and begged out of the show.  Doing a little research I found out that neither of these were correct.  The show did well with the audiences and critics (it actually won an Emmy) and Gleason enjoyed doing it but the producer and the sponsor had some serious disagreements causing the producer to cancel production after only 26 of the projected 39 episodes were shot. 
This DVD collection contains those 26 Gleason episodes and I concur that it is a fine version and that Gleason works well in the role.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were recycling radio scripts too. 
A few years later Gleason had moved on to his own very successful comedy/variety show but Bendix was free of his studio contract so the show was revived with Bendix as Riley and again did well with audiences.

The Trouble with Father (aka The Stu Erwin Show)-(8 episode DVD collection)  From the early 1950s here's another successful situation comedy with the father as a bit of a bumbler who usually causes the situation around which each episode is built.  Not that different from The Life of Riley in that respect.  Makes me wonder what show was the prototype on which all these others built on?

Doc Martin Series 2-  As delightful as the first series.  Looking forward to series three.

Prime Suspect 3-  Rewatching these I think this is the best one of the first three with Helen Mirren going after a long time pedophile.

Doctor Who: The Beginning-  This DVD collection contains the first three stories plus a condensed reconstruction of the lost fourth story.  Also some great documentaries, interviews, etc.. that gives one a good history of the creation of the series and how it was during those early days.  Great for someone like me who is playing catchup.  Henry was certainly right that the Doctor was a bit of a troublemaker in these first stories.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1878 on: August 06, 2013, 03:19:46 PM »

I watched the movie Sidekick Last night and it was quite good. Would recommend.

RB @ Work.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1879 on: August 06, 2013, 10:53:27 PM »

Didn't see the movie, but in "World War Z", Peter Capaldi's character was a W.H.O. Doctor. Coincidence? Anyway, I really liked his work on "The Hour" and I believe he has just the right amount of strangeness to be a fine Doctor Who. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1880 on: August 07, 2013, 04:24:44 PM »

My Dad often mentioned THE LIFE OF RILEY, and how, as good as Jackie Gleason was, the show wasn't the same as the radio version.  What I didn't realize was there was a gap between the Gleason and later Bendix episodes.

The first time I saw the first 13 DOCTOR WHO episodes, I was immediately reminded a LOT of the earliest episodes of LOST IN SPACE.  I find it very easy to believe that Irwin Allen had seen the show and gotten inspired.  After all, when he did the original LIS pilot, there was no Doctor Smith, and no robot.  LIS even had cliffhangers at the end of EVERY episode for its first 2 seasons.  Jonathan Harris is almost like a bad parody of William Hartnell.  And when Jon Pertwee became The Doctor, and needed a "name" for The Brigadier to use in his official paperwork, he told him it was "Doctor John Smith."
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1881 on: August 08, 2013, 03:10:37 AM »

Doctor Smith cool
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1882 on: August 09, 2013, 12:57:29 AM »

Hey does anyone remember this guy who was on TV in the '60s teaching people how to do art?  I remember he had dark hair and a goatee. He might've been the same guy as the one who was on in the '70s and '80s with the perm--but I'm not sure about that.

My aunt had an art kit with this guy's face on the box cover. He might've been Canadian, but I think he had to be American if he had his own kit for sale.

Of course, there were a few of these guys. It's bugging me because I can just picture him as like the quinteseential artist.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1883 on: August 09, 2013, 02:34:05 AM »

Jimm, could it have been Jon Gnagy? He had a Saturday morning show hawking his "Jon Gnagy Learn to Draw" kits. Definitely had dark hair and a goatee. Never bought the set, but had fun drawing along with him. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1884 on: August 09, 2013, 03:47:52 AM »

Jimm, could it have been Jon Gnagy? He had a Saturday morning show hawking his "Jon Gnagy Learn to Draw" kits. Definitely had dark hair and a goatee. Never bought the set, but had fun drawing along with him. Cheers, Bowers

You're a star! I did an image search on the name and that's definitely the guy. The image from my aunt's kit even came up on the search and that confirmed it. Jeez, I haven't seen that image in ages--and my aunt passed away a few years ago, god love her. Really chokes me up to see that. Ah the memories!

Thanks.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1885 on: August 11, 2013, 06:42:10 PM »

Last night:

"How did you know she was a Nazi?"
"She talks in her sleep."
"!!!!!!!!!"
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1886 on: August 13, 2013, 01:48:24 AM »

Tonight...

"The way I see it, everyone COULD have done it, and everyone had a reason for doing it. It's absolutely incredible!"

...and...

"We STILL don't know who killed either woman."
"No, not quite.  You see... we ALREADY know almost all there is to know. It's just that, what we know... seems INCREDIBLE!"
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1887 on: August 15, 2013, 10:42:48 AM »

I had the kit and watched his program at every opportunity. Very good basic instructions on perspective, proportions, rendering, etc.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1888 on: August 15, 2013, 10:52:05 AM »

Last night:

"How did you know she was a Nazi?"
"She talks in her sleep."
"!!!!!!!!!"

The wife of a friend was care giver to an elderly woman who left her some personal effects in her will. Imagine her surprise when she found a ancient suitcase filled with NAZI memorabilia, including some documents and a miniature camera that fit inside a matchbox.
We suspected the old lady had been a German spy but found a packet of love letters from a British officer stationed at Gibraltar. We figure he had collected these things in the course of his work.
Many German tourists before the war were recruited to take as many photos as possible near military installations.

The camera is a very simple sturdy device. I think it takes cut off strips of 8mm motion picture film. To operate you point the camera then rapidly open and close its sliding outer case.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1889 on: August 15, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »

Yesterday:
RETURN OF THE SAINT:  "Duel In Venice"
This features the absolute nastiest, scariest villain in the entire series, hired mercenary "Jed Blackett", played by Australian actor Maurice Colbourne.  Anyone who remembers his 2 appearances on DOCTOR WHO ("Ressurection of the Daleks" and "Attack of the Cybermen") would barely be prepared for what a complete, over-the-top raving PSYCHO he is in this thing.

After this, I was glad last night's movie was far more light-hearted...

"Ah, m'sieur, who can put a price-- on love?"
"Well I BLOODY WELL can!"
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1890 on: August 16, 2013, 08:45:39 PM »

Fascinating story about the old lady who turned out to be a Nazi.

My quote, of course, came from INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE.  The "!!!!!" was the silent reaction when Indy realizes he and HIS FATHER have both slept with the same woman.

A bit later...

"Two ships that pass in the night. I meant as little to her as the next man."
"I WAS the NEXT MAN!!!"
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1891 on: August 17, 2013, 12:01:59 AM »

Tonight...

"I do wish somebody would tell me what this is all about..."
"MURDER! That's what this is about.  Ghastly, horrible, OBSCENE murder!!"

(I just love this bit)
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1892 on: August 18, 2013, 03:34:22 AM »

Watched "The Black Knight Returns" 200p from Tomcat Films. Better than most of their movies.

Richard
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1893 on: August 18, 2013, 06:26:24 AM »

Tonight...

(I just love this bit)

Is that from Hound of the Baskervilles?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1894 on: August 18, 2013, 05:10:21 PM »

Terry and the Pirates seriel on youtube. Many of these are available on youtube. Terry has lots of action and pretty good story. I prefer the compilations where they have been edited down to a movie though.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1895 on: August 18, 2013, 08:50:26 PM »

I downloaded the Captain Marvel serial from the Internet Archive years ago. Captain Marvel was as brutal as they come, and appeared to take great delight in dispatching his foes in gruesome manner.
He threw one guy head first from a bridge to impact about 60 feet below with bone crushing force. Another he casually tossed from a thirty story roof top. My favorite was the fight in a garage where he tore a truck engine from a chain hoist and threw it into a stack of crates like a catapult, hitting a hidden gunman in the head.
One sneak that tried to shoot him in the back was scrambling away whimpering and crying like a little girl as the Captain caught him and beat him to death.

The action scenes and special effects are very nicely done for the period.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1896 on: August 18, 2013, 08:56:18 PM »

Tonight...

(I just love this bit)

Found it "Dracula 1972 AD".
I figure the script writer was influenced by the lines from "Hound of the Baskervilles", " Murder, refined cold blooded deliberate murder".
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1897 on: August 18, 2013, 09:02:40 PM »

It's too bad we can't run streaming video here. I'd like to run a chapter or so a week here of a serial.

Mr SerialAge.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1898 on: August 18, 2013, 10:32:40 PM »

You could post a link to the youtube video of a chapter
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1899 on: August 19, 2013, 02:50:02 PM »

Captain Audio:
"Found it "Dracula 1972 AD".
I figure the script writer was influenced by the lines from "Hound of the Baskervilles", " Murder, refined cold blooded deliberate murder"."

The 2 modern-day films get dismissed by so many people, but they've long been 2 of my favorites in the entire series.  For one thing, they both have interesting stories (which is not somehting you can say about PRINCE OF DARKNESS, RISEN FROM THE GRAVE, or SCARS OF...

For another, both have Peter Cushing, who raises the level of anything he's in.  (One might ask, HOW can you do a "Dracula" movie without Van Helsing?) And he's TERRIFIC in these things, especially the scenes where he's explaining things to other people.

Don Houghton wrote both films, shortly after doing work on Jon Pertwee's run of DOCTOR WHO.  I still get a kick out of the NERVE to do a remake of TASTE THE BLOOD OF... only 2 years later, only with a much better story.  But there are a few really stupid things in it.  When Dracula gives Johnny "the power", he loses his daytime protector (though we never do find out where he was sleeping in the daytime).  Second, Johnny never DOES have a servant to protect him, and the way he dies in his own apartment kinda makes him look like the stupidest vampire in movie history.

Finally (and note I saw this multiple times before this really started to bother me), the last act makes very little sense, as when Van Helsing tells Inspector Murray to stay away from St. Bartholf's, and that he "won't find anything there", and, to hold off until after nightfall.  Seems to me this is the exact OPPOSITE of how one should search for a vampire-- you do it in the DAYTIME when he's asleep, otherwise, he's up, about and dangerous. Van Helsinbg then goes straight to the church in the daytime and finds his granddaughter in a trance, then lays traps for the later confrontation.

I do love it when, after all those years, Dracuka & Van Helsing FINALLY have a "verbal" confrontation, which they never did in the '58 film (or the novel).  "You would challenge me-- I who have commanded armies??"  Lee was on the top of his game in this one, even though he has so little screen time.

I do wish they'd had the same actress play Jessica in both films... I mean, Stephanie Beachum & Joanna Lumley don't look anything at all like each other!

I actually saw the sequel first-- it was released to theatres here 5 YEARS after it was made, as Hammer apparently lost their distribution in 1973.  Tragic.  (If somebody put up the money for production-- and it was usually the distributor-- WHY the hell didn't they actually release SATANIC RITES over her when it was made??)
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.