in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715906 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1900 on: August 20, 2013, 04:25:54 AM »

NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS   (1971)
Haunted by the Past     *****

*** This review may contain spoilers ***

As has been pointed out over the years, the 2nd DS feature, "NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS", starts out as a loose variation of the show's "1970 Parallel Time" story. In that, Quentin & his new bride Maggie arrive at Collinwood, where everyone is obsessed with Quentin's late wife Angelique, and are convinced she will return from the dead. That story itself was a variation on "REBECCA"-- right down to a "Mrs. Danvers" character (mentioned in NODS), though with a supernatural twist, in that Quentin's dead wife actually does come back, murders her twin sister and takes her place. On the show, it was one of the best-structured and paced story lines they ever did... until its rather ABRUPT ending, which left me unsatisfied and frustrated.

As for this movie... while elements of "REBECCA" and "1970 Parallel Time" definitely find their way in here, I find this is much more of a remake of the Roger Corman classic, "THE HAUNTED PALACE" with Vincent Price & Debra Paget as the married couple who inherit a mansion with a spooky housekeeper (Lon Chaney Jr.). Price's character, Charles Dexter Ward (the film was a very loose adaptation of the H.P. Lovecraft story) sees a portrait of an ancestor who he is a dead ringer of-- and the spirit of his ancestor spends most of the film trying to POSSESS his descendant. (There is a difference between reincarnation and possession, which sometimes got blurred on the DARK SHADOWS TV series.) The scene where David Selby roughly embraces his wife Tracy, leaving her in tears, then says, "I'll touch you ANY way I like, WHENEVER I like, and if you don't like it, you can always LEAVE!", is straight out of the Corman flick, when Price-- POSSESSED-- tells Debra Paget he wishes "to exercise my husbandly prerogative"-- and then almost RAPES her!! (I'm surprised no one else has brought up this blatant comparison before.)

Another Corman POE film that found its way into this one is "THE TOMB OF LIGEIA", where Verden Fell (Price again) marries Rowena (Elisabeth Sheppard), but is haunted by the memory of his late wife Ligeia (also Sheppard). The multiple camera shots of the tower where Quentin is drawn by Angelique are almost IDENTICAL to the shots of the tower of the abbey where, each night, without his own knowledge, Fell goes to tend to his DEAD wife-- who placed him under hypnotism before she died.

I've always thought "HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS" was too short, and should have been at least 2 hours long, to allow for better pacing and character development of its huge, complex cast. By comparison, the first time I saw "NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS", I thought it was painfully slow, dull and too long for its own good. When I discovered that a full 35 MINUTES had been cut from it before release, I could hardly believe what I was reading. But on further investigation, it appears this film would have been MUCH better if the story as originally written had been allowed to see release without being butchered.

Even so, from reading in detail about what was missing, something tells me that EVEN the uncut version of this film is actually missing its "3rd act". If even the uncut version still ends with Angelique coming back, Quentin fully possessed, and everyone else DEAD, what's the point?

Try watching this-- then "THE HAUNTED PALACE" back-to-back. The moment Price is about the leave the house-- but then stays for "one last thing"-- and becomes FULLY possessed-- is where that film REALLY starts to get interesting! "NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS", in either form, ends TOO SOON for its own good.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1901 on: August 23, 2013, 03:08:20 PM »

it was a few weeks ago now, but --

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Aside from what may possibly be some minor historical innaccuracies (to the best of my knowledge, Lincoln did not, in fact, hunt vampires, nor do vampires actually exist), I loved this, it was so much bloody (!) fun. Maybe as I had low expectations, but still - I'd watch George Washington: Werewolf Killer by the same people, or FDR: Alien Ass-Kicker.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1902 on: August 23, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »

How about Captain Berlin Vs Hitler?

True!

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1903 on: August 23, 2013, 11:13:43 PM »

wickedly cool
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1904 on: August 24, 2013, 12:24:58 AM »

Just bought that today off of Amazon. Wan't cheap and it's proably a very horrible movie. But what the hay! I've watched plenty of bad costumed hero movies, whats one more?

RB @ Home.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1905 on: August 24, 2013, 02:28:31 AM »

Let me know how bad it is
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1906 on: August 24, 2013, 02:44:53 AM »

Will do my friend.

Richard
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1907 on: August 28, 2013, 01:48:41 AM »

Here are two amazing discoveries I've just made concerning my on-screen crush Jenny Agutter--which somehow got past me all these years.

One is that there wasn't just a movie of THE RAILWAY CHILDREN--there was an actual British TV series starring the same cast (I gather the movie was actually an edited down version of the series). My gosh, why did no one tell me? Now I've got to find that series.

The other discovery is that WALKABOUT and THE RAILWAY CHILDREN came out in the same year. In fact, it seems that WALKABOUT came out six months ahead of the THE RAILWAY CHILDREN--although the order of production might've been the reverse. I always thought there was a safe two or three year difference between them, so it was okay to look on Jenny in WALKABOUT as a woman, while in THE RAILWAY CHILDREN she's an innocent child.

Yikes!

Presumably she was eighteen when both movies were shot, so I think I'm on safe ground, morally. I hope.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1908 on: August 28, 2013, 03:47:53 AM »

Jimm , she was (is) indeed a babe! Fell in love with her watching "Logan's Run". Have you seen her as the head sister in the series "Call the Midwife"? Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1909 on: August 28, 2013, 05:37:14 AM »

I haven't seen any of her recent work. I'm not sure if I want to. Although from pictures, she seems to have held up pretty well. And of course, I have seen LOGAN'S RUN--multiple times. I think that's where I first noticed her.

When I think about it, I've probably made these amazing discoveries before and they just slip my mind. In a couple of years, I'll probably make the same discoveries. I have an amazing memory for some details and others go right out of my head.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1910 on: August 28, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »

The last couple weeks...

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
DEATH ON THE NILE
EVIL UNDER THE SUN
DRACULA A.D. 1972
SAMSON AND DELILAH  (1984)
HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS
NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS
THE HAUNTED PALACE
THE DUNWICH HORROR
THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA
THE NIGHT STALKER
DR. STRANGELOVE
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1911 on: August 29, 2013, 04:29:25 AM »

Went on a Night Stalker binge and watched "Night Stalker", "Night Strangler", and every episode of the "Kolchak: the Night Stalker" TV series.
Also watched "the Norliss Tapes" pilot film, an attempt at cashing in on the Night Stalker's popularity. It would have made a great series.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1912 on: August 29, 2013, 09:49:02 PM »

"The Norliss Tapes" was awesome. Roy Thinnes was one of my favorite actors at the time. Does anyone know if episodes of "The Invaders" are available anywhere? Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1913 on: August 29, 2013, 09:57:47 PM »

Well I will be watching Captain Berlin Vs Hitler tonight as it arrived in the mail last night but I was off to see Black Sabbath last night in concert at the Verizon Ampitheatre (what a terrible venue) but a nice concert. And yes Narf I will let you know how it is, although it is in German! Lol......

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1914 on: August 30, 2013, 07:03:34 PM »

Well sorry to say Narfstar the 40 bucks I paid for it was far from worth it. Being in German wasn't a deal breaker, being a grade b movie wasn't a deal breaker, but being a really bad stage play musical comedy was. Ugh.

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged

irish

message icon
« Reply #1915 on: August 31, 2013, 11:58:47 AM »

I love asian dramas and movies.
I have a schedule for each day
so
afternoons
monday-death note- (japanese anime)
tuesday-jumomg-korean drama
wed -alpha-bravo charlie (pakistani drama)
thur-(Tenchijin))-japanese drama
friday poor nastya-russian drama
sat-A DREAM OF THE RED CHAMBER-chinese drama
sun-hunsafar-pakastani drama
evenings-spiral (season 3)
I'm also trying to get through season 7 of weeds.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1916 on: August 31, 2013, 02:30:45 PM »

Well Richard you never know until you try and sometimes trying costs money.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1917 on: August 31, 2013, 02:31:23 PM »

Irish are you that muliti-lingual? Sounds like some cool stuff.
ip icon Logged

irish

message icon
« Reply #1918 on: August 31, 2013, 10:20:38 PM »

no, i'm not multilingual.
all these have subtitles.
here are links for ones you can watch legally
jumong
dramafever.com/drama/11/1/Jumong/
if you are in the states, you can watch all 81 episides for free with ads. if you are outside, you can
only watch the first fiive episodes. There is a way around it, but i don't think i should talk about that here.
WARNING, WARNING,WARNING, WARNING, WARNING,WARNING.WARNING, WARNING,WARNING
Korean dramas are addictive. Once you start, you may never go back to american dramas again.

poor nastya
viki.com/tv/1354c-poor-nastya-complete

I LEFT OUT THE HTTTP WWW PART OF the adressess.  I thought that might be advisable.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:24:55 PM by irish »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1919 on: September 01, 2013, 10:53:04 AM »

thanks
ip icon Logged

irish

message icon
« Reply #1920 on: September 01, 2013, 11:39:01 PM »

no, thank you
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1921 on: September 02, 2013, 01:02:38 PM »

THE DEVIL'S DISCIPLE  (1959)

"I assure you sir, we do this not out of any personal malice..."
"But because you're PAID to."
"I'm sorry you take that view, sir. Indeed, if you knew what my commission cost me, and what my pay is, your opinion of me would be much higher."

--General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne (Laurence Olivier) & Richard Dudgeon (Kirk Douglas)
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1922 on: September 02, 2013, 11:39:52 PM »

Seinfeld Season 3 (1991-92)-  This show really seemed to be hitting its stride at this point.  The writers seem more confident on what they want to explore and the actors have pretty well established their characters.

Life on Mars Season 1 (2006)-  I've seen the American version and the British followup series, Ashes to Ashes, but this was my first chance at catching the original BBC series of a cop who finds himself back in the 1970s working on the force after he is involved in a serious accident.  Really enjoyed the whole fish out of water storyline and Philip Glenister is always a delight to watch.  Looking forward to checking out the second (and final season) before too long.

The Mentalist Season 3 (2010-11)-  Overall still pretty good although there seemed to be a slight drop in the quality of the scripts this season.

Southland Season 1 (2009)-  Gritty cop show that benefits greatly from on location shooting in some of the rougher sections of LA.  Looking forward to watching more.

Dr Who-The Aztecs (1964)-  An early story (#6) and a good one.  The DVD set has quite a bit of documentary features about the making of the story as well as documentaries about the Aztecs and the conquistadors that the BBC pulled up from their library for inclusion here.  One that I found to be a bit of fun was the documentary about the plethora of Dr. Who toys that have come out over the years. Also included is a reconstruction of a mostly lost later story- Galaxy 4 (1965) from season 3.

Homeland Season 1 (2011)-  Intense drama about a long held prisoner of war who returns to America and the investigation of him to see whether he has been turned or not. 

Dr Who-The Claws of Axos (1971) - Jumped a bit ahead here to the 8th season, color and Jon Pertwee as the Doctor.  There's a lot here that looks very silly and seems even more so after watching the documentaries and interviews with the participants.  Still a good deal of fun.  Especially enjoyed some of Katy Manning's (Jo Grant) comments in her interviews

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1923 on: September 03, 2013, 02:26:06 AM »

CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (2D)

Haven't seen this in ages. Good stuff, I jumped a couple of times, felt sympathy for the Creature, thought the head scientist was an a$$, and thought Julia Adams was hot.

Interesting commentary as well, including a modern(-ish, probably for the last DVD release) interview with Julia (Julie) Adams.

Such a great monster design. Plus, found out Bud Westmore had nothing to do with it, and the much hotter Millicent Patrick did:

Fun times.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1924 on: September 03, 2013, 03:44:01 PM »

Quite a bit to catch up on as I was off chasing tenuous links to obscure Spanish comics but lots of new shows on British t.v.
The current series of New Tricks has been realy good, given the cast changes and the recent arrival of Nicholas Lyndhurst has added an intriguing twist to the show.  Looking forward to tonight's episode.
BBC are showing a new drama, "What Remains":-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b039ftc5/What_Remains_Episode_1/
We were hooked from the start.  Haven't a clue how this will go but, at the moment, well worth looking out for.
There is a new Whitechapel starting this week - might have to get behind the sofa for this one - looks seriously weird and scary.
Dragon's Den doesn't seem to enetertain us as much this season. I think the makers have tried to make it a bit edgier and there seems to be a lot more filler material, so don't know if we'll keep up with it.
However, the pick of the week for us was the 1st. episode of the new series of Doc. Martin.  Excellent.  And we weren't sure if they could keep up the standard, but we shouldn't have worried.  The wedding and.................  well, don't want to give anything away.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.