in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715857 times)

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #2000 on: September 26, 2013, 12:40:57 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_from_Another_World

I like the slow burn of revealing the monster and the snappy dialogue.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2001 on: September 26, 2013, 03:51:16 PM »

Samson v. The Vampire Women. 
Monsters? I'll give you monsters!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=umRsp3zTvdk
And you have to take a look at his one:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COX9ZRcYG6k
Santo v. The Martians, anyone:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_UvY5rzhH8
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2002 on: September 26, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »

My You tube channel.....just getting started...... Let me know what you all think.

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

RB @ work
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2003 on: September 27, 2013, 02:56:12 AM »

it said no videos found
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2004 on: September 27, 2013, 08:58:45 AM »

Samson v. The Vampire Women. 
Monsters? I'll give you monsters!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=umRsp3zTvdk
And you have to take a look at his one:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COX9ZRcYG6k
Santo v. The Martians, anyone:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_UvY5rzhH8

I read a recent vampire/zombie apocalypse type novel that had a charming twist. One of the main characters was a Santos style masked wrestler superhero of the old Mexican monster films.
The wrestler was getting old but still in very good shape so when the vampires (who except for the ancient ones act more like zombies) start devastating the city he decides its his destiny to once more don the mask and go out in a blaze of glory fighting evil just as he had done on film decades earlier.
His adventures are the best part of the book.
One thing I liked was when he gets hold of a pistol its the first real gun he ever held, before that he had only held the rubber prop revolvers his character would take away from the villains and twist in half.

He was living his dream of at last being a true super hero. It was quite touching. Fact is I can't remember the title of the book but remember his character well.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 09:01:14 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2005 on: September 27, 2013, 02:50:56 PM »

"the vampires (who except for the ancient ones act more like zombies)"

That's an accurate description of the vampires in THE LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES, Peter Cushing's last appearance as Professor Van Helsing.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2006 on: September 28, 2013, 04:56:25 AM »

DRACULA  (1979)

This amazes me. But not in the usual sense.  Great actors, sets, costumes, visuals, action, effects, music, the works... yet somehow, it gets worse each time I see it, not better.  The flaws keep becoming more obvious and amplifying.

Apart from anything else, it just REALLY, really suffers next to the BBC version done only 2 years earlier... whose sole flaw is that it was done on cheap-looking VIDEOTAPE.

Of course, the craziest thing about the John Badham / Frank Langella film is, while it's allegedly based on the stage play (and therefore cojuld be seen as a remake of the 1931 Lugosi film), it actually borrows TONS of plot elements & structures and even some character relationships directly from Dan Curtis' 1970 HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS.  Except, that's better-directed than this!
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2007 on: September 28, 2013, 07:25:12 AM »

But Langella appeared in the Broadway play. I think that's part of what made the movie important at the time. Although, it's likely that the live theatre production had more energy. But there was this whole mystique about Langella in those days.

I was just thinking about Langella--who appeared in the TV movie MARK OF ZORRO in '74. Granted Guy Williams was my Zorro--but I really liked this movie. And it's partly responsible for me joining the Canadian Armed Forces (Naval Reserve), after I graduated from high school.

Frank Langella was a sex symbol. Women were wild over him. Just the sight of him would make hearts skip. And there hadn't yet been this kind of Dracula--at least not in any popular American movie version within the memory of audiences at the time. So the whole idea of making Dracula young and sexy was seen as new and different in those days.

Sure when put in perspective, the approach to Dracula wasn't really that unusual. But popular opinion rarely puts things in perspective.

At the time, it made me think of the first Night Stalker TV movie--which also seemed novel, but probably wasn't so novel as I thought.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2008 on: September 29, 2013, 10:51:10 AM »

I understand they changed a LOT between the play and the movie version-- probably a LOT more than the Lugosi version had.  One could say the Langella fim is the closest-- more or less-- to being a (SORT OF) "remake" of Lugosi, as both were based on the stage play, and both starred the then-current star of the stage play. And both were from Universal.

Still put in context of the times, it's fascinating to compare it with the Jess Franco version with Christopher Lee, the Dan Curtis version with Jack Palance, and especially, the BBC version with Louis Jourdan.  That remains a rare case that proves one CAN do an INCREDIBLY GOOD film by actually following the book (for a change), and in my view features the very BEST Mina, Lucy, Van Helsing, etc. all down the line.  Which makes it almost funny that Jourdan's Dracula is the ONE thing in the film that stands out as being VERY different from the book.  And that's not a bad thing.  To have been MORE authentic, it would have HAD to have had Christopher Lee in it. I often wish they had got him.  But Jourdan's interpretation may be something that gives the film an extra level simply missing from what Bram Stoker wrote. Does seem strange to go so far to be authentic, though, and then go completely in another direction with the TITLE character.

You know, of all the changes in the John Badham / Frank Langella version (story structure, chronology of events, character relationships, etc.) I think watching it again the other day, the MOST baffling (and annoying) is probably, WHY THE HELL did they swap the names of the two girls??? Were they just TRYING to confuse people? Did someone just think "Lucy" was a better name for the lead girl than "Mina" ? ? ?

Of course, the entire personality of Mina-- SORRY, "LUCY"-- was completely changed in the film.  In the book, she's the strongest, smartest character in the entire story.  Even Van Helsing pales next to her (in fact, it's his secretiveness that helps result in Lucy's death, and Mina's NEAR-death-- that and the blatent sexism-- which was TONED DOWN in the BBC film, to make him a more likable character-- and thank goodness for that). In this film, she's flirting with the villain from the word go, right in front of her fiance, then goes to have what turns out to be a romantic dinner with him while her fiance is out of town (again, STRAIGHT out of the Dark Shadows feature film). And she spends more time aggressively trying to help the villain after than fighting him. Even the ending offends me now-- as it seems designed to SUGGEST (against all other evidence or common sense) that somehow, the guy has survived and will be coming back for a sequel, and the look on her face only seems to confirm this. (and again, just like the stupidity of seeing a BAT fly away from the spot Barnabas was KILLED in the DS film.  W--T--F???)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:54:29 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2009 on: September 30, 2013, 02:18:19 AM »

"the vampires (who except for the ancient ones act more like zombies)"

That's an accurate description of the vampires in THE LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES, Peter Cushing's last appearance as Professor Van Helsing.

I have that on VHS and the audio book reading of the story on CD.
A friend had asked if I knew where to download the audio story and I found it listed in the archives of a radio station, the DJ emailed a link so I could download it. That was years ago, when it was much easier to find such things wandering the net. Still have a CD somewhere but lost the file due to a PC meltdown.

Been hoping to find a download of "Curse of the Undead" a vampire/western film with surprisingly good story and top quality actors.
The Vampire gunslinger (Michael Pate) is a fore runner of the sympathetic cursed vampire characters such as Barnabas Collins. Also his exploiting of his invulnerability by taking up the role of gunslinger seems rather a modern take on the vampire.
A reviewer noted how this vampire harks back to the Spanish legends rather than eastern European legends.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:25:12 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2010 on: September 30, 2013, 03:01:39 AM »

"Curse of the Undead"

Gawd - I saw that on the "Shock Theatre" show decades ago. I thought the overt religiosity of crosses being effective against vampires was stupid as a kid.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2011 on: September 30, 2013, 12:44:44 PM »

Within the context of vampire lore, crosses make perfect sense, because vasmpirism allegedly began as a cult in direct opposition to and perversion of Christianity. This is why, for example, when someone dies from a vampire bite, they "rise from the dead on the 3rd day".
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2012 on: September 30, 2013, 12:53:50 PM »

Hmm - right, vampires of fiction mainly coming from the eastern European countries, mainly ... Catholic (?) or at least Christian. I was always just thinking of them as sort of generic supernatural characters, but they would be tied to Christian religious beliefs, specifically.

I suppose that implies that, in the movies, god is a Christian god. So how would other religious symbols work? Not at all I guess. My calculator even less so.

Within the context of vampire lore, crosses make perfect sense, because vasmpirism allegedly began as a cult in direct opposition to and perversion of Christianity. This is why, for example, when someone dies from a vampire bite, they "rise from the dead on the 3rd day".
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2013 on: September 30, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »

Well now, that's the fascinating thing about LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES.  Laurence Van Helsing (Peter Cushing) is travelling in China when he's approached by someone whose village is being terrorized by these vampire-lords and their army of the undead (who look more like zombies than vampires). As he does in all his appearances in the series, at one point Van Helsing begins explaining how vampirism "works".  But then he adds, "in Europe, yes.  Here, I'm not sure." This indicates vampirism works differently depending on location & local cultures.  He even mentions "Lord Budhha".

It's criminal that Hammer's distribution got all screwed up.  The 8th & 9th installments of the DRACULA series both took 5 years apiece to make it to America (and under different names, later restored to the originals on TV).  The company wound up shutting down for several years (later moving into TV production), but just before that happened, they had a 10th DRACULA film planned, in which the aging Van Helsing (and his son, no doubt) would be fighting vampires in INDIA !!   :)

Of course, Dracula was not supposed to even be in that 9th film (nor was he supposed to be in the 5th installment, either, until the distrubutor refused to put up the production costs unless Christopher Lee was involved).

Different stories follow different lore.  I always got a kick out of it when, in LOVE AT FIRST BITE (1979), Richard Benjamin thrust a Star Of David at Dracula, who replies, "I'd say you should marry a nice JEWISH girl." "Oh, DARN it's the OTHER one, isn't it?" One could interpret this by figuring that Dracula, at the very least, does "believe" in Christianity (even if he's definitely not a follower!!). After all, in the Hammer series, Dracula's "master" is apparently SATAN-- although there are some hints in a couple of the films that Dracula himself has become the representation of Satan on Earth. (If so, he needs better script-writers.)

By comparison, in the DOCTOR WHO story "The Curse Of Fenric" (1989), a group of totally inhuman vampires called "Haemovores" from a far future that's been destroyed by industrial polution, are repelled by "belief" in a symbol moreso than the symbol itself.  Thus a Russian soldier whose "faith" in the Bolsehvik Revolution is absolute is able to repel them holding a hammer-and-sickle symbol  (I find this rather tragic in the context of history), while an Anglican Priest who's losing his faith falters and is killed.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:39:49 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2014 on: October 01, 2013, 10:06:57 AM »

Then there's the Jewish vampire in "the Fearless Vampire Killers". Great scene where they hold up a cross to no effect and he tells them they have the wrong vampire.

Remember that Vlad Tempes though evil as Satan in many ways was sworn to protect Christians of his country, so any who encountered him or his troops would certainly hold out their crosses so they would hopefully get a free pass.
Non Christians on the other hand got a stake up the bum.

I remember a character in a book, possibly a real historical character, who was a traveling friar and always carried a cross made of lead. Its weight was supposedly a penance but the heavy metal cross was a fearsome weapon against brigands when wielded like a war hammer. Clergy were not allowed to shed human blood so they mainly used blunt impact weapons for self defense.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:15:19 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2015 on: October 01, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »

What happens if the vampire is an atheist?

Do you hold up "E=mc2"? ;-)

Then there's the Jewish vampire in "the Fearless Vampire Killers". Great scene where they hold up a cross to no effect and he tells them they have the wrong vampire.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2016 on: October 01, 2013, 03:09:32 PM »

Interesting question!

What comes to mind is... as people lose themselves, are "possessed" when they become vampires, perhaps the faith of the original vampire is what takes over?

Fascinating discussion...

The most radical departure in the Hammer Films had to be in GOLDEN VAMPIRES, when the German lady travelling with Van Helsing and the others gets bitten.  She becomes a vampire ALMOST INSTANTLY! This seems a nod to COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE, but within the context of the specific film, perhaps that's how Chnese vampirism works?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2017 on: October 01, 2013, 03:20:11 PM »

"By comparison, in the DOCTOR WHO story "The Curse Of Fenric" (1989), a group of totally inhuman vampires called "Haemovores" from a far future that's been destroyed by industrial polution, are repelled by "belief" in a symbol moreso than the symbol itself.  Thus a Russian soldier whose "faith" in the Bolsehvik Revolution is absolute is able to repel them holding a hammer-and-sickle symbol  (I find this rather tragic in the context of history), while an Anglican Priest who's losing his faith falters and is killed." profh0011
And who played that priest? None other than Nicholas Parsons. 90 this year and still hosting Just A Minute on Radio 4.  I have a few old films with him in minor roles and he was the stooge to that great old comedian, Arthur Haynes. He plays a plain police constable in a small but pivotal role on The Long Arm, with Jack Hawkins - one of my all time favourite films.  Can't find a link to it but here are Haynes and Parsons.  Great stuff:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb2hkKGzaZ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euGyC8cjviY
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2018 on: October 03, 2013, 07:12:29 AM »

How's this for a scene.
The Vampire appears and startles the atheist who then quickly pulls a slide rule from his pocket and with a piece of chalk begins scribbling math formulas on the wall of the crypt while expounding on scientific theories that prove the supernatural can not exist.
The Vampire takes this all in calmly then says, Einstein's theories can not explain Dark Matter which by any previous definition of matter should not exist since it has no mass and does not directly interact with matter.
You can not see it or touch it so you can not admit it exists though its all around you.
The Atheist turns pale and begins spluttering his confidence in his own intelligence falters, then a legion of Vampires descend on him draining him of blood as he tries to figure out an alternative theory.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2019 on: October 03, 2013, 12:12:09 PM »

I like the slide rule part, but I'd just shove it in his chest. (Why is it so easy to penetrate the breastbone in vampires when it evolved to protect the heart?)

As an atheist, when confronted with a vampire (after changing my pants) I wouldn't try to ignore the evidence of its existence, I'd update my worldview to include it. Although in real life, I'd just assume they were a lunatic with a great dental plan ("No, doc, I want fangs - you know, fangs! My plan covers it under cosmetic work").

Y'know, I thought it would be a cool basis for a movie or tv episode if we had a modern 'vampire hunter' convince some other dude of their existence, and they go around killing a bunch. Then it's revealed the vampire hunter is just delusional and they were killing ordinary, albeit strange, people. Dun-dun-dun.

How's this for a scene.
The Vampire appears and startles the atheist who then quickly pulls a slide rule from his pocket and with a piece of chalk begins scribbling math formulas on the wall of the crypt while expounding on scientific theories that prove the supernatural can not exist.
The Vampire takes this all in calmly then says, Einstein's theories can not explain Dark Matter which by any previous definition of matter should not exist since it has no mass and does not directly interact with matter.
You can not see it or touch it so you can not admit it exists though its all around you.
The Atheist turns pale and begins spluttering his confidence in his own intelligence falters, then a legion of Vampires descend on him draining him of blood as he tries to figure out an alternative theory.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2020 on: October 04, 2013, 06:36:15 AM »

I like the slide rule part, but I'd just shove it in his chest. (Why is it so easy to penetrate the breastbone in vampires when it evolved to protect the heart?)

Vampires are after all walking corpses, and not entirely material forms. They can turn into a mist to seep under doors and such and shape shift into wolf or bat, so I expect their physical form is rather prone to deformation. Once the surface is penetrated every thing inside is a mass of corruption.

If you want a real hoot watch "Lesbian Vampire Killers", the vamp deaths are something else. A very funny movie.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2021 on: October 04, 2013, 09:57:17 AM »

BTW Roy without getting into debates, that is about the same thing I would say about macro-evolutionary science. Despite all the contradictory evidence and mathematical total improbabilities, people still choose to believe it because they refuse to accept God. Since we have both said about the same thing no more posts please every knows where each of us stands, and neither will change the opinion of the other.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2022 on: October 04, 2013, 11:19:49 AM »

Totally agree, Narf. I recognized the thread drift right after I posted - d'oh!

If anyone wants to talk sex, politics, or religion it belongs in another thread.

BTW Roy without getting into debates, that is about the same thing I would say about macro-evolutionary science. Despite all the contradictory evidence and mathematical total improbabilities, people still choose to believe it because they refuse to accept God. Since we have both said about the same thing no more posts please every knows where each of us stands, and neither will change the opinion of the other.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2023 on: October 04, 2013, 12:35:14 PM »

"(Why is it so easy to penetrate the breastbone in vampires when it evolved to protect the heart?)"

That's why normally they use a hammer-- or mallet.

Of course, Leela (from DOCTOR WHO) once said, "We were taught to thrust UPWARD under the breastbone when striking."  (The kindly Victorian gentleman she said this to was rather shocked to hear such talk from what he mistakenly believed was "a lady".)
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2024 on: October 04, 2013, 12:37:07 PM »

Not to be morbid, but I'd kinda like to try that on a corpse. Or have Mythbusters do it .... OMG! I'm totally sending that in - pig corpses for everyone.

"(Why is it so easy to penetrate the breastbone in vampires when it evolved to protect the heart?)"

That's why normally they use a hammer-- or mallet.

Of course, Leela (from DOCTOR WHO) once said, "We were taught to thrust UPWARD under the breastbone when striking."  (The kindly Victorian gentleman she said this to was rather shocked to hear such talk from what he mistakenly believed was "a lady".)
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.