in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 716039 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #2775 on: June 19, 2020, 11:06:58 AM »

I went to town today - a 32 km round trip for me - and treated myself to the DVD of Bloodshot.
I have just finished watching it. I have been very pleasantly surprised.
If you think you know Bloodshot from the comics, this will surprise you. But it won't disappoint fans.
It's much more of a Science Fiction film than a superhero film. The premise is something that, unlike most Superhero concepts which are pure fantasy, could be possible in the future and may even be being worked on today. The central character never calls himself Bloodshot, never thinks of himself as a superhero and never wears a costume. Apart from the leads all the actors are relative unknowns. And this it the director's first film, He's more interested in SF.
Wilson is set to next direct the upcoming film adaptation of the Daniel Suarez sci-fi thriller novel Influx
Watch this guy!
A refreshing change from the average comic book movie. The most refreshing thing for me is that - Nobody yells! I hate actors constantly doing that for dramatic effect.
Recommended. 
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2776 on: July 26, 2020, 12:21:52 PM »

This one is for Paw in particular.

An attempt to update Bulldog Drummond and turn him into another James Bond.
And not a bad movie at that. Starring the excellent Richard Johnson.
And apparently the first movie Tarantino remembers seeing.
Deadlier than the male
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViY7CR2TSO8 

Enjoy! 
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2777 on: July 26, 2020, 03:25:28 PM »

Good choice - great movie - saw it some time back

As I understand it, there was talk at one time of Richard Johnson being James Bond but it didn't happen so this was almost like a consolation prize.

There's a follow-up - equally good - Some Girls Do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0enqtI2uko
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2778 on: July 28, 2020, 02:14:34 AM »

This one is for Paw in particular.

An attempt to update Bulldog Drummond and turn him into another James Bond.
And not a bad movie at that. Starring the excellent Richard Johnson.
And apparently the first movie Tarantino remembers seeing.
Deadlier than the male
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViY7CR2TSO8 

Enjoy!

Look up an old British film "Odd Man Out". It could have a serious source of Tarantino's style of action/caper film .
The Characters interaction, dialogue and the way things go pear shaped without warning are pure Tarantino style. The development and back stories of characters is much like you'd expect from a Tarantino film. The characters just can't break the self destructive cycles set in stone by their pasts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odd_Man_Out
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 02:18:43 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2779 on: July 28, 2020, 04:34:32 AM »

Excellent tip - I haven't seen this so I'm looking forward to watching it tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVpuuoSFGeg

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2780 on: August 10, 2020, 09:49:00 AM »

Came across this looking at Music Sites. I'm no expert in Manga so much of these are new to me.   

Yuji Ohno
is a Japanese jazz musician. Ohno is known for his musical scoring of Japanese anime television series, particularly Lupin III, and most famously the 1977 series Lupin III Part II and the feature film The Castle of Cagliostro.[1] Later anime series scored by Ohno include Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars, the 1979 Toei series Captain Future (known as Capitaine Flam in France) and the 1982 series Space Adventure Cobra
Capitaine Flam we have discussed in these pages before..
Some of these I am going to track down and watch.
Comics?
There are English Translated Cobra comics printed in the UK.
There are Lupin III comics widely distributed ( as far as I can see, particularly in Frasnce in Italy, but no English translations that I know of.
The Lupin Mangas look good, and I will be tracking those down in DVD collections if they exist.
There was also a Lupin III movie scheduled for release, probably in Japan and France, in March this year, if I can get hold of that I will.
Actually in the trailer, below,it looks like the TinTin Movie, which for me was disappointing. This looks good tho.
lupin iii out of context: farewell to nostradamus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ULPPwMc1qU

Play the Lupin Samba Music Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdFZtaekXVU

Lupin III: The First Official Trailer with English Subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPit-LFyXi0   

ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2781 on: August 10, 2020, 03:04:52 PM »

Meep Meep  :D
I am currently watching cartoons with the Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote ;D. The Roadrunner ist sympathetic, but my heart beats for the coyote. 8)
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2782 on: August 14, 2020, 10:26:49 AM »

Walt Disney Documentary

From a friend, I got a Walt Disney documentary (a TV recording from the broadcaster Arte), a film from the U.K. from 2015, directed by Sarah Colt, total running time 220 minutes, I will try to watch this film on the weekend and then I know for sure more about the strikes in the WD studios and Disney history in general.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2783 on: August 18, 2020, 11:04:01 AM »

Meep Meep  :D
I am currently watching cartoons with the Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote ;D. The Roadrunner ist sympathetic, but my heart beats for the coyote. 8)

You have a wild ride ahead of you.

As for Disney. I have his full biography.
I find it hilarious that his first successful  use of his artistic talents was taking discarded WW1 German helmets and painting them in the camouflage  pattern used by German snipers then selling them as souvenirs   to unwary troops headed home at war's end.
Disney was a stretcher bearer and ambulance driver in that war.
He also painted company emblems on leather coats worn by dispatch riders, since it was forbidden to sew patches on these coats.
Unfortunately he never signed these works. If he had I expect they'd fetch tens of thousands at art auctions.
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2784 on: August 20, 2020, 11:06:15 AM »

As for Disney. I have his full biography.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to watching the Disney documentary by Sarah Colt.

I have now also ordered a book, a Disney biography by Bob Thomas, which is also available as a German edition, from the year 1986.

By the way, my buddy Wile E. has given up trying to catch the Roadrunner ;D, he works as a sheep thief now and yesterday, I saw a cartoon, he wanted to catch Bugs Bunny! I didn't know, that Wile E. and Bugs would appear together in a cartoon, I really enjoyed to seeing the cartoon. But I knew from the start, that the story wasn't going to end well for Wile E . . .  ;) ;D
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2785 on: August 20, 2020, 11:29:15 AM »

Although I'm not a big Disney cartoon fan - I much prefer the Barks, Gottfriedson, Taliaferro comic strips - I'm intrigued by the Disney documentary.  All I have to do now is find it!
Our viewing here during lockdown has mainly been re-runs of Lewis; Midsomer Murders; Death in Paradise and when my wife is otherwise occupied I've been watching old STNG and Voyager episodes.
The recent Doctor Who Special Edition with improved animation of Power of The Daleks is good stuff and I've managed to watch a bit.  Just so many other things going on and I'm desperate to sit down and binge the whole lot.
https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=the-power-of-the-daleks-returns#_
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2786 on: August 20, 2020, 07:46:23 PM »

The thing about Wile E though is that he is a role model for us all.

No matter how tough life gets, no matter how many times we fail, no matter how hard it is constantly butting our heads against the solid brick wall in frustration, the only thing to do is to get up the next day and try again.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2787 on: August 20, 2020, 07:49:59 PM »

I normally defer to my wife's viewing habits - so recently we've been watching A Suitable Boy (very good) and Murdoch Mysteries (my wife has a soft spot for Crabtree). When my wife goes out, I binge on sci-fi movies. Just seen Valerian and liked it very much though the male lead was a bit weak.
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2788 on: August 21, 2020, 06:55:26 AM »

A not very serious consideration: If Wile E. is so hungry, why didn't he buy something to eat with the money, he spent in the ACME department store?  ;D ;D

British TV series are very popular in Germany, there are a lot of fans of Insp. Barnaby, Insp. Morse, Insp. Lewis, Insp. Lynley and many more. Dr. Who didn't have it easy in Germany, but meanwhile he / she has a loyal fan base here too.

I also find the Scandinavian crime films very interesting, but often too brutal. I really like the Wallander films with Kenneth Branagh, like all of his films, he's a great actor. His Shakespeare films are a delight!

This weekend I'll watch some episodes of "Death in Paradise".
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2789 on: August 21, 2020, 09:22:13 AM »

I'm a big fan of early sixties German movies - particularly the Edgar Wallace movies with Klaus Kinski and Eddi Arendt in various roles - both favourite actors of mine - but also gorgeous women like Karin Dor. I also love those Heimat musicals with Vivi Bach and Trude Herr. Wenn die Musik spielt am W
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2790 on: August 22, 2020, 12:22:17 PM »

Oh yes, the old German Edgar Wallace films have really cult status here and are also very popular with young people. The crime series 'Tatort' has been an integral part of German culture since 1970, and there are now almost 1,200 movies. There are also now here at us a little bit bizarre crime series, that are very entertaining. Germany is a lucky TV and Movie Land, we watch the best from here and from the world.  :)

I didn't plan it, but I'll watch "Death in Paradise" today and tomorrow - I can't help it.  :o 8) ;D
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2791 on: August 22, 2020, 01:05:59 PM »

There is a German Sci Fi series I'd dearly love to see dubbed in English. The title in German "Raumpatrouille Orion" translates as "Space Patrol Orion".
It was considered a German Star Trek, with much the same elements, though after attempting to wade through an episode I found in German I don't think that is entirely true.

PS
Found these episodes with English subtitles.
Of course the German speaking members here won't need the subtitles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJI4J92Btis&list=PLv0Ak2uwEb_1caaFBlBMz0-kU9bWEgo3d
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 01:18:25 PM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2792 on: August 22, 2020, 04:28:19 PM »

Oh yes, I've seen some of those - they're okay. Basic special effects but fun - reminded me of Blake's Seven
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2793 on: August 23, 2020, 12:00:30 PM »

The title in German "Raumpatrouille Orion" translates as "Space Patrol Orion".
It was considered a German Star Trek [...]

This is a common misconception :), the only thing they have in common, is the year it was first broadcast (1966). The biggest difference is probably the money, the German TV-station had only a very very small budget for 'Raumpatrouille', the consequences are very, very amusing ;D from today's point of view: irons were used for the technical decoration, pencil sharpeners, ice cream scoops, shower heads and the robots have on the arms gynecological forceps . . . and much more, you can hardly believe it today :D. If the actors weren't so good and the stories weren't so exciting and humorous, no one would remember the series today, but more than one TV generation was shaped by the 'Raumpatrouille' - me too.  8)

Another reason for the success was the incredibly great music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfv-wtFfTTE
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2794 on: August 28, 2020, 09:06:46 AM »

The weekend is just around the corner, so it's time to think about my personal TV program. This time, I have superheroes to choose from.

Superman Cartoons - 1941-43, by Max Fleischer - 17 episodes, 8 minutes per Ep.

Spiderman Cartoons - 1967, prod. by Ralph Bakshi, 15 episodes, 11 minutes per Ep.

Captain America Cartoons - 1966, 13 episodes.

Marvel Super Heroes Cartoons (Capt. America, Thor, Iron Man, Namor) - 1966, 16 episodes, 17 minutes per. Ep.

SHAZAM!  ;D
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2795 on: September 02, 2020, 02:20:38 PM »

Two things come under this category for me.
First - I managed to find and download a copy of the 1935 version of SHE. This was a Ray Harryhausen production (one I  wasn't aware of) and starred Randolph Scott ,and Nigel Bruce.
And here it is on YouTube. Interesting but the dialogue is a bit wooden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_c0T5I_bQA

Second - I don't speak French, but I spent today looking at french comics. I came across the Nestor Burma comics by Jacques Tardi. I had, some time back, read about 6 of the Novels so I was familiar with the character.
https://www.coolfrenchcomics.com/nestorburma.htm

The character was featured in several movies and also a Television Series, which is why I have posted here in 'Watcha Watchin'?'
This link will take you to a large number of episodes of the series.
https://www.coolfrenchcomics.com/nestorburma.htm
And here is what is said to be the best of the movies. [120 Rue de la Gare]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piXM5SHtnAc
The original books began in the WWII occupation and continued into the 50's. This series is more modern day.
Enjoy!     
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 02:31:43 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2796 on: September 02, 2020, 05:11:23 PM »

... the 1935 version of SHE

A film, not a very high quality production, but you can still see it. It is often said, a book was better than the film adaptation, seldom has it been as true as in this case. The book "She" by Sir Henry Rider Haggard is one of my all-time favorite books.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2797 on: September 03, 2020, 07:32:30 AM »

What have I been watching lately? I should explain that before my retirement, I worked overseas for many years - never saw much TV or went to the movies - so I'm still very much in catch-up mode:

The Green Hornet - hated it. Couldn't decide what it wanted to be - pastiche or parody, neo or retro. Seth Rogen's acting was appalling - someone should explain to him about tone and ensemble. Jay Chou was okay but had little to work with. Cameron Diaz totally miscast - she should sue her agent

The Man from Uncle - loved it. Stylish, fun, exciting action scenes. Great characterisation, particularly Armie Hammer. Guy Ritchie brings something different to every scene as a director. I know it lost a lot of money so there's no follow-up movie in Istanbul - shame really.

Agent Carter - Half-way through series 1 and loving it.

The Originals - Okay but repetitive in terms of plot. One-dimensional characters, wooden acting. I've stopped after series 1 - incredibly, I see there are four more series - who makes these decisions?

Kingsman - Liked this more than I thought I would. Colin Firth made it work, so I'm not too sure about seeing the follow-up

Under Correction - Tough gritty post-war Russian gangster series. English subtitles. Well worth a look - the Russians know how to make good TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFIPrhUB53o

Judex (1963) - loved it - stylish, exuberant - I have the serial lined up next
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2798 on: September 03, 2020, 12:24:52 PM »

Andrew's mention of Green Hornet interests me as I also think the film stinks, but for anyone who likes the idea of GH, try the 2 movie serials, particularly the 1st one.  The tv show is entertaining - I have all the episodes and the serials. 
My viewing over the next wee while will be Paul Temple and The Toff.  I bought the Renown box set with all 4 remastered Temple films and 2 Toff films.  There are some interesting fillers to have a swatch at as well.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2799 on: September 03, 2020, 01:26:56 PM »

Paw,

Was the Toff ever a comic book? 

Answered my own question.
He featured in Super Detective Library #061 and # 110

Both are here on CB+
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 01:40:54 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.