in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715918 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #2800 on: September 03, 2020, 02:59:52 PM »

I think those were the only 2 comic adaptations.  There are 2 radio serials available on you tube:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeMxwYMnbLs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPWeShxbwg4
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2801 on: September 04, 2020, 01:37:48 AM »

Thank heaven the local PBS stations are done with their pledge drives! Almost three weeks long this year- one can only watch just so much "Celtic Woman" and "50's Doo-Wop"!
Currently watching the new season of "Call the Midwife", "World on Fire" (Masterpiece), and "Baptiste" (Mystery). All very good, with more good stuff coming later.
Our cable Acorn channel just got some new programs (well, new to us!) this week. Currently enjoying all four seasons of "Lovejoy", an old favorite, as well as "Wire in the Blood" with Robson Green, and a hilarious bit of Steampunkish nonsense called "Going Postal".
Hope all of our group's brothers and sisters are safe and well. Remember, you are not alone! You're all part of our online family and if things aren't going very well, please post something and let us know. We DO care!
Cheers to all, Bowers

So, you are in The US, then?

I'm stuck in L.A. because of the pandemic, and my fear of catching the virus, by being packed in with many people in closed  quarters in public places (such as airport waiting rooms and packed airplanes for 10+ hour trips), as I am well into my 70s.  Speaking of US PBS-TV, despite not being much of a TV watcher these past 20 years, I'm currently watching a very interesting Belgian police/crime series, called "Professor 'T' ", (which may have a different title in different countries.  It is about a high-functioning Asperger's Syndrome Autist criminal psychology professor with a super-Human memory (like that of Sherlock Holmes), who acts as a consultant to Antwerp's Police Department on especially difficult cases.  It was aired for 3 seasons of 13 shows, each, and shown in Belgium in 2015, 2016, and 2018, and in The Netherlands in 2017, 2018, and 2019.  The main character, Jasper Teerlinck, is ridiculously knowledgeable about why people in general, and especially the criminal minds act the way they do in any situation.  He is extremely clever, but also extremely arrogant, and so, is very frustrating for his colleagues at The University of Antwerp and that City's police department to work with.  The cases are very complicated, but interesting; and the interplay between the professor and his colleagues is very funny.  The dialog is in Flemish (but it is not heavy Antwerp dialect).  The British "Channel 4" broadcasts have English subtitles.  It is very clearly spoken, and as close as Flemish can be to Standard Dutch - so quite understandable for Dutch speakers.

The lead character is so very exasperating, because he seems to know every detail about every aspect of criminal psychology, seemingly holding hundreds of thousands of data points of knowledge (holding an unlimited number of facts in his memory).  He allows the police to first test their theories on cases, and then, when they are stumped, and don't know which direction to proceed, he steps in to "save" them, and solve the case, usually in an amazing, totally unexpected way, not unlike Sherlock Holmes.

I've been a big fan of the original "Sherlock Holmes" stories by Arthur Conan Doyle since reading them as a pre-teen in the 1950s, as well as comic book portrayals of those stories from the 1940s and 1950s, as well as the films of his stories and new stories made in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s, and of the related British TV series in the 1950s.  I also love the 1940s cartoony comic book comedy parodies in US comic books.

This TV series has both the great suspense of the serious adaptations, as well as the tongue-in-cheek injection of humour watching this eccentric, egotistical, "rain-man" who we all know from dealing with Aspergian, cumpulsive comic book collectors, who seem to know every possible bit of information about every comic book that was ever printed. 
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2802 on: September 04, 2020, 01:54:02 AM »

" It is about a high-functioning Asperger's Syndrome Autist criminal psychology professor with a super-Human memory (like that of Sherlock Holmes), who acts as a consultant to Antwerp's Police Department on especially difficult cases."
Sounds like a ripoff of "Monk".
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2803 on: September 04, 2020, 02:43:38 AM »

I was trying to think of Monk.Thanks! So is SHERLOCK, Obsessive compulsive and 'I'm a high - functioning Sociopath' also a rip-off of Monk?
Honest Trailers - Sherlock (BBC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38_c6dh6Y6M

If you have never watched any of the 'Honest Trailers' you are missing something.
You'll never view some of these movies the same way.
And - I couldn't remember the actor or the show, so just now I searched for 'Obsessive detective in a trenchcoat' and found it. Columbo 
And how could we forget 'Luther' That's the London detective, not the comics character.
Oh,and, do that search and you will find a lot of geek info on 'detective trenchcoats'
Like this one
10 Best TV Detective Coats
https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/best-tv-detective-coats/
Go figure
I have a Driza-Bone myself. Like the one at the top of this page, but not so rumpled. 
https://www.drizabone.com.au/our-history
Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 02:52:15 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2804 on: September 04, 2020, 03:42:03 AM »

I was trying to think of Monk.Thanks! So is SHERLOCK, Obsessive compulsive and 'I'm a high - functioning Sociopath' also a rip-off of Monk?

If you have never watched any of the 'Honest Trailers' you are missing something.
And - I couldn't remember the actor or the show, so just now I searched for 'Obsessive detective in a trenchcoat' and found it. Columbo 
And how could we forget 'Luther' That's the London detective, not the comics character.
Oh,and, do that search and you will find a lot of geek info on 'detective trenchcoats'
Like this one
Go figure
I have a Driza-Bone myself. Like the one at the top of this page, but not so rumpled. 
https://www.drizabone.com.au/our-history
Cheers!

To me, "Professor T" is a LOT better than Monk, and very different in tone to that of Columbo and the other detective series.  Professor T is an academic, - not a private detective or a policeman.  He has been suspended from teaching his classes at his university for behaviour unworthy of a faculty member, while missing meetings, forgetting to teach his class, not fulfilling his professorly duties, etc., and is periodically off and on in a World of his own in delusions.  He seems to be a schizophrenic, along with his other mental conditions.  While under suspension, he has been ordered to "assist the police, as needed, upon their request", as part of his psychiatrist's plan for his "rehabilitation".  The police and university staff all seem to be much more realistic characters than I have seen in the US dramatic detective series whose writers and directors have tried to sprinkle with elements of comedy.  ALL the characters, including the slightly exaggerated Professor Teerlinck, seem much more real to me.  I have met them all.  Whereas, "Monk", "Columbo", and many of the US detective series didn't feel very natural to me.  They seemed too "forced".  I felt that several of the BBC detective series were excellent, however.

This is more of a psychological drama than a detective series.  To me, it's more about how a psychological defective deals (or doesn't deal) with other people, and his place in The World.  It's VERY real to me because having been a serious, big-time compulsive record collector, and met the REALLY SICK super-compulsive record collectors, who would kill their own grandmother or break into another collector's house to get that elusive dead rare record, or would spend his own family's life savings to buy it, leading to divorce and hardly ever seeing his children to get his hands on it.  And I've met a few comic book collectors who also had that sickness.  And, another trait with which I can identify, is the encyclopedic photographic memory that so many collectors have for the gigantic volume of details long-time collectors keep in their brains' memory banks related to the thousands of records or comic books they possess or have read or have on scans and digital memory.  I, and many of the collectors I have met over the years can rattle off all the book numbers or record label catalogue numbers of every series, or label, telling what stories are inside, what is on which panel, the lyrics of each song, often its running time, and sundry other trivial details that would be of no interest to a "normal" person.  Having known so many people like that, The story of "Professor T" is very real to me, especially because its writers and director did a great job of making this series very realistic.  Also the atmosphere in Universiteit Antwerpen is right on the mark (with the petty jealousies of faculty members, kissing up and fawning to higher-ups, - the whole atmosphere of academia was also spot on.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2805 on: September 04, 2020, 05:28:28 AM »

Like this one
Go figure
https://www.drizabone.com.au/our-history Cheers! 

The modern "Sherlock" is a fantasy with the lead character having super-Human powers, and acting like a superhero.  It bears little relation to real life.  On the other hand, the fictional character, Jasper Teerlinck is almost exactly like several academicians I know, and like MANY big-time comic book and record collectors collectors I know, and like almost ALL of The German "Donaldists" I know.  So, unlike "Sherlock", "Professor T" is an all too realistic drama about Human tragedy, with some funny bits to lighten it up a bit.  The quirky, psychological defective and how he gets along in The World, and how others deal with him, is more important to the series than the crime cases. 

"Monk"is different from the other two series, in that it is more like a straight detective series, in which the crime story is more important than the lead character.  The original conception tried to make the lead character a bit unusual, but not to the point that his life is more important than the individual cases he solves.
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2806 on: September 06, 2020, 10:07:42 AM »

Always welcome:

Gertie the Dinosaur (1914) - Winsor McCay

:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGXC8gXOPoU
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2807 on: September 11, 2020, 01:00:45 PM »

Today I'll watch the Barbarella movie. I've seen this movie a few times, but I never get bored of it.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2808 on: September 12, 2020, 02:15:26 AM »

Didn't Barbarella start out as a newspaper strip in France?
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2809 on: September 12, 2020, 02:26:20 AM »

Jean-Claude Forest became world famous when he created the sexy sci-fi strip Barbarella, which was originally published in France in V Magazine in 1962. The strip was an immediate bestseller and was soon translated into a dozen languages. In 1967 it was adapted by Terry Southern and Roger Vadim and made into a major motion picture, with Forest acting as design consultant.
Also, He graduated from the Paris School of Design in the early 1950s and immediately began working as an illustrator. While at the Paris School of Design Forest drew his first comic strip, Fl
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2810 on: September 12, 2020, 03:03:50 AM »

I never seem to get past the title sequence.
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2811 on: September 12, 2020, 07:25:40 AM »

The radio and TV broadcast of the 'Last Night Of The Proms' is one of my highlights of the year for a long time, like my Birthday, Christmas or New Year's Eve. Today it is time again. :)

The concert will look different this time. After the BBC was able to offer mainly online, radio and television concerts and only a few live events all summer long, instead of a big concert, today there will be small musical events broadcast: "In countless living rooms across the country and the World". The organizers have not yet revealed which artists will perform.

The soprano Golda Schultz, violinist Lisa Batiashvili and the miniaturized BBC Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Dalia Stasevska will play in the Royal Albert Hall itself. The choir is probably singing outside the building. More details will probably only be known shortly before the appointment.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2812 on: October 20, 2020, 09:30:43 AM »

Just yesterday watched, 'The Mask of Dimitrious' 1944. This was based on a book by Eric Ambler and the movie script was by Frank Gruber, a great pulp writer himself.
Starred Peter Lorre, Sydney Greenstreet, and Zachary Scott as Dimitrious. I have the book, but never finished it. This is one of those times where you watch the movie and then want to go read the book. So I shall.
Next up will be Lady in the Lake (1946) An adaption of Raymond Chandler's book starring Robert Montgomery. and the great Audrey Totter. I have already watched the first 10 minutes of this and it is good! Was attracted to it when I read that Chandler had given it his seal of approval.
Preview here.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039545/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Scriptwriter on this is Steve Fisher who had a long career. Looking him up I found that there was a Matt Helm TV series. I'll have to check that one out. Hope it was more Noir than the movies.       
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2813 on: October 20, 2020, 11:42:51 AM »

I took the liberty of bringing this discussion into this thread, I hope this is ok.  :)

A series that was never shown in Germany. Presumably a flying nun was not serious enough for the German television stations :o. But the purchasing policy of the German TV stations in the 50s to 70s was very strange in general.

ABSOLUTELY true!  the TV show, "The Flying Nun" was far too stupid for ANY country's TV fare.  But, certainly for education-minded Deutschland.  But then, they think Willy Milowich is funny! So, there is no accounting for taste.  Yes, The German censors and TV policy-makers have loosened up some over the last 40 years.

In the past, more stupid films and TV series were shown in Germany, than one can imagine, today there are many stupid live shows shown here in the TV.

Willy Millowitsch was a special German comedian, who didn't have a lot of fans outside of the greater Cologne area.

When I was a kid, I loved TV shows like "Time Tunnel", "U.F.O." and many others, when I later saw her as an adult, I was disappointed. Still, I have these series on DVD ;) , because they are an part of my childhood. :)

There are series and films that age very well and some just seem embarrassing today.

I can still watch today series like 'Get Smart', 'I Dream of Jeannie', 'Tammy', 'The Doris Day Show' with great pleasure - but I'm yet also a huge Doris Day fan. :)
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2814 on: October 20, 2020, 05:12:00 PM »

I took the liberty of bringing this discussion into this thread, I hope this is ok.  :)

A series that was never shown in Germany. Presumably a flying nun was not serious enough for the German television stations :o. But the purchasing policy of the German TV stations in the 50s to 70s was very strange in general.

ABSOLUTELY true!  the TV show, "The Flying Nun" was far too stupid for ANY country's TV fare.  But, certainly for education-minded Deutschland.  But then, they think Willy Milowich is funny! So, there is no accounting for taste.  Yes, The German censors and TV policy-makers have loosened up some over the last 40 years.

In the past, more stupid films and TV series were shown in Germany, than one can imagine, today there are many stupid live shows shown here in the TV.

Willy Millowitsch was a special German comedian, who didn't have a lot of fans outside of the greater Cologne area.

When I was a kid, I loved TV shows like "Time Tunnel", "U.F.O." and many others, when I later saw her as an adult, I was disappointed. Still, I have these series on DVD ;) , because they are an part of my childhood. :)

There are series and films that age very well and some just seem embarrassing today.

I can still watch today series like 'Get Smart', 'I Dream of Jeannie', 'Tammy', 'The Doris Day Show' with great pleasure - but I'm yet also a huge Doris Day fan. :)

Did Germany get "Mr. Ed" (the Talking Horse) ?
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2815 on: October 20, 2020, 07:06:52 PM »

Did Germany get "Mr. Ed" (the Talking Horse) ?

Of course of course,
Germany knows,
a horse is a horse.

;D

Between 1962 and 1965, many episodes were broadcast synchronized in Germany, but there were hardly any repetitions and I actually saw episodes of this series for the first time 10 years ago (!) - and I liked them immediately. I was thrilled, that Alan Young was there, because he is also one of the cast member of one of my favorite films: "The Time Machine" (1960).  :)
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2816 on: October 30, 2020, 03:39:07 PM »

Tomorrow evening in my DVD player: "A Man Of Constant Sorrow"  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d2aBkiwXwg

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - USA/UK/F 2000

A wonderful film by the Coen brothers.  :)

The story of the song:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_of_Constant_Sorrow

The story of the film:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Brother,_Where_Art_Thou%3F

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2817 on: November 01, 2020, 07:32:06 AM »

Sitting here writing up my Reading Group last post. I accidentally turned the TV on. I don't normally watch it, would rather choose what I want.
What happens to be on but John Ford's Donovan's Reef.
This is a very entertaining and interesting film.
First. This was Ford's excuse for a party. He invited a group of actors and movie people who were all close friends to Hawaii to make a film and party at the same time.
So John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Jack Warden, Caesar Romero, Dorothy Lamour, Mike Mazurki, Edgar Buchanan. 
So it comes across as a light comedy, but it is anything but, when you get under the surface.
This review sums it up.
https://www.timeout.com/movies/donovans-reef 
It also has at least one masterpiece film scene, as far as I am concerned. This is the scene where the inhibited Amelia Dedham nastily insults John Wayne's Michael Patrick 'Guns' Donovan character. He doesn't reply, he just leaves the room. But what John Ford does with that is a masterpiece. You laugh at it, but, if you are me, you stop and think how much effort went into that short scene.And how apt the scene was, it just says everything. 
Thoroughly recommended movie.
Also shows that you can make a very serious movie without appearing to be serious.
Also, this movie should be used by TV stations as a Christmas perennial.     
Going to stop now and watch the end of the movie.
Cheers!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 01:02:38 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2818 on: November 02, 2020, 05:08:22 PM »

We've been taken by Roadkill, a new serial on BBC with Hugh Laurie as a politican described as, "An ambitious politician untroubled by guilt - in pursuit of power while enemies circle."
It's all getting quite complicated for the viewer but precarious for the politician.  Good stuff.
Also, re-runs of The Brokenwood Mysteries:-
https://thebrokenwoodmysteries.com
Some of the patter is funny; they are good mysteries; a cast of oddball characters and lots of lovely NZ wine.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2819 on: November 02, 2020, 05:33:02 PM »

Yes, we've been watching Roadkill too - enjoying it immensely. Hugh Laurie is a great actor in this type of role, like a rabbit trapped in headlights. Loved him in House of course - and he will always be the one and only Bertie Wooster.

Brokenwood has been added to my Christmas list!
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2820 on: November 03, 2020, 02:18:03 AM »

We've been taken by Roadkill, a new serial on BBC with Hugh Laurie as a politican described as, "An ambitious politician untroubled by guilt - in pursuit of power while enemies circle."
It's all getting quite complicated for the viewer but precarious for the politician.  Good stuff.
Also, re-runs of The Brokenwood Mysteries:-
https://thebrokenwoodmysteries.com
Some of the patter is funny; they are good mysteries; a cast of oddball characters and lots of lovely NZ wine.

Caught a few minutes of Roadkill this morning quite by accident. The channel it was on had the guide entries mixed up.
I'll try to catch the series from the beginning one day.
I mainly watched as much as I did because I was wondering if that was Hugh Laurie. His character was far better dressed and clean shaven compared to House, but the eyes were just as haunted.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2821 on: November 25, 2020, 12:47:08 AM »

Watched both "Roadkill" and "Cobra"- unfortunately they were being aired back-to-back! Each good in its own right, but a bit hard to watch so much political back stabbing all at once. Also, I am absolutely hooked on "Professor T"! The visuals alone are worth the watch. "Van der Valk" was another winner. Marc Warren and Maimie McCoy are an excellent team and I hope it gets another season. Thank God for Brit TV- US programming has become such awful rubbish! Cheers and safety to all, Bowers
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2822 on: November 27, 2020, 06:37:53 PM »

A friend gave me "The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance", a 10-part TV series from 2019. The episodes tell the story before the 1982 film. I think the film is wonderful and I am looking forward to seeing the series - and then the film, that I haven't seen in the last 20 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Crystal:_Age_of_Resistance
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2823 on: December 06, 2020, 12:48:54 PM »

Well, I went from beer to Jackie Chan. Looking up 'Drunken Master' I came across this print of 'Accidental Spy' which I am now watching.
This has a voice-over in Thai which is annoying but it also has English subtitles and the original dialogue most of which is in English is audible under the voice-over. I think I've seen this before but not with a print this good. This is Widescreen and a damn good movie. Watch how Jackie, who is choreographer and Director, finds a use for everting in a room or an environment. Look at the fight in the prison/hospital room for example.  His films should be required viewing for anybody wanting to make an action movie. And the scene, of course, ends with a gag.
ĐẶC VỤ M? TH?NH [Thuyết Minh] - Th?nh Long, Scott Adkins | Phim H?nh Động V? Thuật H?i Chiếu Rạp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O7CM-ZH8bw

By the way, if you don't already know, some posters on YouTube, post movies with the title missing. That way it doesn't show up in YouTubes own searches.And doesn't get taken down for a while. So if you search, for instance, for a generic title like 'New Superhero movies' or New Hindi Movies' or 'New action movies' - you might be surprised at what comes up.

Cheers!       
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2824 on: December 06, 2020, 05:08:43 PM »

For the record, my favourite Jackie Chan film was City Hunter - it was the first Chan movie I saw and I was blown away by the scale of the on-camera stunts. Watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro9_iKGNazI

There was also a decent anime series for manga lovers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ie8z2tZDU8&list=PL5I6fnH-vsoiv35TyeIC-qrp7h6qF1sFe

Did you know Jackie was in two Bruce Lee movies - as one of the many extras who get beaten up in set scenes.

I'm told his new movie - Vanguard - is a return to form.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.