in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715835 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #2900 on: May 14, 2021, 09:29:00 AM »

I just had a call from what sounded like an Indian gentleman claiming to be from Sky Network.  He told me there was a problem with my router and he would help me fix it.  Interesting.  I don't have Sky, nor is there a problem with my router.  We get calls like this regularly.  The callers are crooks.  The other call we're getting almost every day is a recorded message claiming to be from Amazon, which says there is a problem with my Prime a/c. Interesting.  I/we don't have a Prime a/c and I try to avoid any connection with Amazon.  Crooks again.  The problem is that You can't shout at a recorded message.
What have I been watching?  Murder City, a short series from some years ago with Kris Marshall and Amanda Donahoe. It's on youtube.   Still enjoying Stargirl - I bought the dvd.  This may sound a bit odd but we both enjoy The Great British Sewing Bee, even Joe Lycetts terrible jokes.  It is a comforting break from the carnage currently going on in the world. Give it a try.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03myqj2
Breaking news, SNP hold Airdrie and Shotts in the by-election for Westminster, making it 45 SNP MPs at Westminster.  3rd biggest party.  Good news to wake up to this morning for me.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2901 on: May 14, 2021, 12:40:19 PM »

I think somebody in Japan said, Hmm. Wacky Races? What can we do with that concept?
And gave us in 2009 the anime movie, Redline.
Strap yourself in and helmets on!
Redline [2009] - Yellow Line race (edited 1080p 24fps)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwyqhzYjmu8

There's even a dog that looks suspiciously like Muttly and icing on the cake, a TransAM!

I am definitely going to have to hunt down a copy!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 12:48:05 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2902 on: May 15, 2021, 04:40:24 PM »

Yesterday:  "BEETLEJUICE" (1988) -- twice!!!  (I haven't done that in one day since 1980.)

So this married couple hired a contractor to do a job (more or less), and the FIRST thing out of the guy's mouth is...

"BOY, do you know how to PICK 'em! Lemme ask ya, is this relationship really SOLID? What I mean is, DO I HAVE A SHOT with her??"

;D
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2903 on: May 16, 2021, 02:49:59 AM »

Today's movie:

"Hey, STANLEY!  How'd you like your own SHOW?"
"UHHH.. okay."
"Great.  YOU'RE ON."

;D
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2904 on: May 16, 2021, 02:13:03 PM »

Sorry, prof, that one went way over my head.  I've seen so few "modern" films - well, you can tell. Or maybe it isn't a modern film.  Still in the dark.
We watched - again for the umpteenth time - Warn That Man, a wartime, British,b&w with Gordon Harker, Raymond Lovell, Jean Kent and Finlay Currie, although he sleeps through most of it. Great stuff.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037445/
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2905 on: May 16, 2021, 03:10:40 PM »

That was Weird Al Yankovic & Michael Richards in "UHF" (1989).

It's the low point in the story.  Thanks to his loving Aunt browbeating her shady husband Harvey, George Newman is given a job as manager of a bottom-of-the-barrel TV station.  But ratings are non-existent.,. money is about to run out, and his nagging girlfriend Teri has DUMPED him.  Depressed, he walked off the kiddie show he was hosting right in the middle of the show... and gave the job to the station's JANITOR.  But while trying to drink himself into a stupor at the bar across the street, he finds everyone in the place captivated by what's on TV... the janitor, "Stanley Spadowski" has managed to turn the entire show around in only a few minutes, and before long, they have a huge hit on their hands, with commercial ads sold out 3 months in advance.

So then he decides to come up with a wild variety of other unusual shows to help build ratings, including one called "Raul's Wild Kingdom", hosted from some guy's apartment.  "Today we're going to teach poodles how to FLY!"  "THUMP!"  "Ohh-- sometimes it takes a while for them to get it right."

"Where did you FIND this guy?"  "I thought YOU hired him!"
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 03:14:05 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2906 on: May 20, 2021, 11:27:28 PM »

Anyone watching Prodigal Son? Really enjoying the show
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2907 on: May 21, 2021, 04:43:55 AM »

Absolutely - Murder City is one of those hidden gems that almost slipped under the net:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M4yoLeLVXU&list=PLgU4tHqxqoGkt5M--cGNDUqj9FWVSmbHI

ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2908 on: May 22, 2021, 01:23:00 AM »

Just started watching this one. Kris Marshall is a favorite! Thanks for the tip, Andrew! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2909 on: May 22, 2021, 08:15:25 AM »

We enjoyed Murder City first time round and then I found it on YouTube and we're enjoying it all over again.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2910 on: May 22, 2021, 05:11:53 PM »

Has anyone seen the series "Lupin"? One of the best I've seen all year. Set in Paris, it's the tale of a man whose father was murdered by a wealthy family. He sets about to avenge this wrong by using the methods of his childhood fictitious hero, Arsene Lupin, aka The Gentleman Burglar. Meticulous capers and roller-coaster action. As far as I know, it's only available on Netflix. Season one had a cliff-hanger ending and season two is supposed to be available next month. We can't really afford streaming services, but our youngest son added us to his account so we get it free. Good lad! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2911 on: May 22, 2021, 08:17:59 PM »

Sounds like my cup of tea - thanks Bower!
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2912 on: May 26, 2021, 12:40:09 PM »

I haven't seen Stargirl yet, but here is some possible good news for comic fans.
DC has just released a STARGIRL one-shot, [Stargirl springbreak special] written by Jeff Johns and it co-stars the original Seven Soldiiers - via Jeff John 's timeline, not Morrisons. This is a prelude to a new Stargirl comic.
But the perhaps better news is that this issues teaser seems to lead into a Justice Society reunion [and the possible return of a few Golden Age characters he hasn't yet used.] - a long overdue return to Jeff John's Justice Society, and if I can deduct anything from it, the two page Justice Society is drawn by Bryan Hitch. I can only live in hope! Its a fun read - one of the first I've had from DC in a while.

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2913 on: May 26, 2021, 12:50:58 PM »

Re Lupin. I've been holding off on a comprehensive post on the subject of Lupin, but!

This French Canadian cartoon Arsene Lupin series is fantastic!
Some of the best old school animation I have ever seen.
And definitely one of the best designed. The Opening credits deserve a video just on their own. I never tire of watching them. 
The entire 24 episode of series one are to be found on Youtube.
Starting with Ep 1 here.
Arsene Lupin EP 01 Elementary, My Dear Lupin English
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=arsene+lupin+cartoon+series+full+episodes+

When I get around to that post, it will be on the Sherlock Holmes thread, and if you watch the above episode you will have some idea why.

Nearly forgot - MAY HEM? what a great name for a villainess! Why had nobody think of it before?

Enjoy!

Cheers!     

« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 01:18:51 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2914 on: May 26, 2021, 01:00:46 PM »

Okay, I'm sold - another to add to my 'must-watch' now list
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2915 on: May 29, 2021, 12:53:31 AM »

I just got in the DVD box set of "THE PROTECTORS" (1972-74), a show I have only ever seen, at most, 1 or 2 episodes, and not since the mid 70s.

This means on Sunday, I'll be able to continue my Gerry Anderson marathon, which has been ongoing for more than 4 YEARS now, without a break.

Last Sunday, I finished my first-ever DVD viewing of "UFO"-- which means, although I'd watched the series 3 times before, this was the first time I ever saw it UNCUT, and in an order (mostly production) where the whole damned thing ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE. I have to admit, I'm really surprised at HOW MUCH I really enjoyed it this time, far more than I ever did before.  I really did not see that coming.

This week, I watched the 4 "audio commentaries" they did:

Gerry Anderson talking about "Identified" (the pilot)
Michael Billington talking about "Kill Straker!""
Ed Bishop (his voice unrecognizable) talking about "Sub-Smash"
Sylvia Anderson & Wanda Ventham talking about "Timelash"

And as of this morning, I started watching the series again from the beginning. I'll be doing this at random, whenever the mood hits me.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 12:56:17 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2916 on: May 29, 2021, 08:05:07 AM »

Always a big fan of Wanda Ventham - you are probably aware she is the mother of Benedict Cumberbatch.

How many knew she was lined up to be the new Emma Peel when Diana Rigg left? That would have been such a good choice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BQBooH4w7A

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2917 on: May 29, 2021, 06:39:18 PM »

Always a big fan of Wanda Ventham - you are probably aware she is the mother of Benedict Cumberbatch.

I tend to think, what's-his-name is Wanda Ventham's SON (heehee).

I'm pretty sure the first thing I saw her in was THE PRISONER epsode "It's Your Funeral", which also featured Annette Andre, who in the 80s became my FAVORITE "Saint" girl for her 5 different episodes on Roger Moore's series.

Ventham played a computer tech.  When that week's Number Two (Derren Nesbitt) asked for an accuracy report on the computer's previous report, it refused.  "It refused? HOW?" "It simply failed to answer the question."  "They'll be wanting their own TRADE UNIONS next!"

It's funny, because on "UFO", in a few different episodes, Colonel Lake spends a lot of time using SHADO's computers to try and figure some things out, often with disappointing results because of limited data to begin with.

But the first time I really noticed her, oddly enough, was the Tom Baker-Louise Jameson DOCTOR WHO story, "Image of the Fendahl". She played a mature-yet-very beautiful scientist, and it was shocking when her character got KILLED in horrible fashion.  (It was one of the last of the "gothic horror" stories, left over from before the previous producer had been REMOVED from the show due to complaints about violence on what was still stupidly perceived as a "children's show".)

The funniest story I ran across about her was when DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE did an interview of her and her good friend Donald Pickering.  They were married to other people, but were such good friends, that every time they got together, they couldn't stop laughing.  Which caused directors a lot of problems whenever they wound up working on the same show together ("Time and the Rani" with Sylvester McCoy).  Pickering is so typecast as deadly-serious, stuffy characters, the image of HIM laughing uncontrollably just amused me no end.

Adding to my own amusement... these days, I have a pharmacist who reminds me of this.  Every time I see her, she winds up breaking into laughter at the slightest thing, and it's contagious. (Physically, she actually reminds me a bit of Kaley Cuoco.)

By the late 80s, I saw Ventham in reruns of THE AVENGERS, THE SAINT and SECRET AGENT, all from the early 60s, where she was just STUNNING.  A few years ago, she turned up in a cameo in the ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS movie, and although she'd changed so much, I managed to recognize her after only a few seconds!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 06:45:32 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2918 on: May 30, 2021, 07:42:59 AM »

I was also a big Annette Andre fan - how could I not be?

I remember her mostly from Randall & Hopkirk with the usual tour-de-force performance from Kenneth Cope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnZiH7zTVcs

You have a pharmacist who looks like Kaley Cuoco? Jeez - mine looks like Boris Karloff

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2919 on: May 30, 2021, 01:53:52 PM »

Annette Andre was also in episodes of THE NEW AVENGERS, RETURN OF THE SAINT and the late-80s's MAIGRET movie.  She went from "sweet young thing" to "wife" to "mother" roles.

She was my favorite SAINT girl, until Sally Gray, who was in 2 of the movies from the late 30s-early 40s.  She was also in GREEN FOR DANGER, a murder mystery in a WW2-era hospital.  Alistair Sim plays a police inspector who's as eccentric as Lt. Columbo!

One of the reasons I like my supermarket so much is I've gotten to be friends with so many nice ladies who work there.  I'm not in a position to be lookng for anybody... I think they're all married anyway... but the tall blonde pharmacist was the first one I actually made a point of noticing was wearing a wedding ring.  (So it goes!   :)  )

Generally, I just love being relaxed enough to just start random conversations with total strangers.  This is a HUGE change from when I was younger, when tension at home made me introverted, which for me, was never healthy.  And now, I work part-time as a home health aide, so being outgoing, relaxed & friendly these days means I've found the perfect job!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2920 on: May 30, 2021, 02:03:58 PM »

I used to have a pharmacist was a DEAD RINGER for Harold Gould. Even the voice was the same.  He had a GREAT sense of humor, and looked much younger than he was, a sign, to me, that he really loved his job.  But, his wife pushed him to retire, and he sold the business...
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2921 on: May 30, 2021, 04:25:05 PM »

I've never seen Green for Danger - so thanks for the tip. It's on my viewing list for tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zluRBp7al1I

I never knew Annette Andre was Australian until I just looked it up. It seems that after her career in the UK, she moved back to Oz and continued there.

During my spotty teenage years, Annette vied in my affections with Alexandra Bastedo. Was there ever a Randall & Hopkirk comic strip - I have a vague memory of seeing one (was it in Look-In?) There was a pretty decent Champions comic strip - which I think popped up in later editions of TV21 magazine (or was it TV Tornado?).
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2922 on: May 30, 2021, 07:05:11 PM »

Cracked me up when I decided to read up on Sally Gray.  Real name:  Constance Stevens.  (That makes TWO actresses with that name I like.) 

Like Louis Hayward, she apparently suffered some kind of PTSS in WW2.  Dropped out of movies for awhile.  Came back for awhile.  Then... she married some RICH guy in Europe. They were together for OVER 50 YEARS!  Wow.  Wish I knew that a lot earlier.  I could have sent her a fan mail while she was still around.....

SHE should have played "Patricia Holm".  The character she played in 'THE SAINT IN LONDON" was Patricia Holm, in the original short story.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2923 on: May 30, 2021, 09:10:07 PM »

I've never seen Green for Danger - so thanks for the tip. It's on my viewing list for tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zluRBp7al1I

I never knew Annette Andre was Australian until I just looked it up. It seems that after her career in the UK, she moved back to Oz and continued there.

During my spotty teenage years, Annette vied in my affections with Alexandra Bastedo. Was there ever a Randall & Hopkirk comic strip - I have a vague memory of seeing one (was it in Look-In?) There was a pretty decent Champions comic strip - which I think popped up in later editions of TV21 magazine (or was it TV Tornado?).

Years ago I binge watched the Champions TV series. Great stuff.
Plus One on Alexandria Bastedo, a total knockout.
I have a theory that the Craig Stirling character is Sterling Archer's real father. That would explain Archer's ability to heal rapidly from very serious wounds and drink whiskey by the gallon without having died of liver failure long ago.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2924 on: May 31, 2021, 01:38:03 AM »

Most of these ladies mean nothing to me.
Now that I think about it I watched very little regular television between the mid-70's and the early 90's. Mjy television viewing was mostly on holidays visiting friends and family.
I looked up Annette Andre (Annette Christine Andreallo)
She starred with Zero Mostel, Phil Silvers, Michael Crawford and Buster Keaton, in the 1966 film version of the Broadway musical, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1966). She played "Philia", the virgin. 
One of my favourite movies
In 1988, she played a cameo role in the TV film, Maigret (1988), starring Richard Harris. The film was written and produced by Arthur Weingarten, whom she married a year later.

That film I didn't know existed, will have to track it down.
Richard Harris as Maigret? Doesn't jell to me.
Did find this one, which is only in French.
INSPECTOR MAIGRET 1958
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4KuIPznGho
She hasn't acted since 1988 and is now a painter [Oils on Canvas]- oh, and a grandma!

Cheers!
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.