in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715827 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #3200 on: March 06, 2022, 11:04:29 AM »

Captain,
That worn out coverall , which covered little,barely hanging on to one shoulder had even Will, and surprisingly his older sister, checking out her cleavage.

If you are referring to the scene you posted, that's not Will, that's Mark Goddard who played Maj. Don West. He and Judy Robinson,[Marta Kristen, pictured], were supposed to be a couple. He was somewhat older than Will.
Actually, what surprises me, looking through images on IMDB, is what a knockout June Lockhart still was at that time. Maybe its just that I am older now?     
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3201 on: March 06, 2022, 11:07:00 AM »

Great Boris Karloff flick, great print too.
Not a traditional Horror film, but if anything, much more scary!

Corridors of Blood | Full HD Movies For Free | Flick Vault
Boris Karloff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNiKr-Ei2Us

Get it while it's still there.
Enjoy!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3202 on: March 06, 2022, 02:50:40 PM »

Maj. Don West and Judy Robinson were supposed to be a couple.

A sad thing is, Irwin Allen apparently not only didn't have a sense of humor (interviews with the VOYAGE crew revealed he refused to allow humor on the show-- any that got on there must have been snuck by him), but he also didn't want any romance on his shows.  I understand that once they got to season 3 on VOYAGE, there were virtually NO women on the show, and in season 4, NOT ONE!!  WTF?

LOST IN SPACE began life as a sci-fi swipe of SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON.  But beyond a certain point, there seemed to be nearly no romance between John & Maureen, and almost no mention of any between Don & Judy.  As for the younger ones... forget it!

Actually, what surprises me, looking through images on IMDB, is what a knockout June Lockhart still was at that time. Maybe its just that I am older now?   

Funny thing.  Growing up, I watched June Lockhart in 3 consecutive tv series:  LASSIE, LOST IN SPACE, and PETTICOAT JUNCTION.

This past year, I saw her in an episode of THE MAN FROM UNCLE.  And I swear, for the first time in my life, I felt like I was falling in love with a character she played.  That really surprised me.   As I've been watching that show, most for the first time ever, I've noticed a LOT of actors got really terrific parts on there.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 03:17:45 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3203 on: March 07, 2022, 12:18:37 AM »

Captain,
That worn out coverall , which covered little,barely hanging on to one shoulder had even Will, and surprisingly his older sister, checking out her cleavage.

If you are referring to the scene you posted, that's not Will, that's Mark Goddard who played Maj. Don West. He and Judy Robinson,[Marta Kristen, pictured], were supposed to be a couple. He was somewhat older than Will.

I know who Will was, the young boy Will was not so obvious in his admiration and Major West reaction was not at all suprising under the circumstances, though the look on his face might indicate that Judy just back handed him in the crotch.
Marta Kristen ended up in sexploitation/action films of the 70's, which at least gave her more opportunity to act.

A plus one on June Lockhart, the original MILF.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3204 on: March 07, 2022, 07:37:41 AM »

Captain,

I know who Will was, the young boy Will was not so obvious in his admiration and Major West reaction was not at all suprising under the circumstances, though the look on his face might indicate that Judy just back handed him in the crotch.
Marta Kristen ended up in sexploitation/action films of the 70's, which at least gave her more opportunity to act.

A plus one on June Lockhart, the original MILF.

June was a film star before she moved over exclusively to TV.  She appeared in 12 feature films during the 1930s an 1940s (mostly the '40s).  She actually was in her first film in 1938, as a teen aged child of her own father, Gene Lockhart, who was one of the best character actors in the US film industry. It was the first US-produced talkie version of "The Christmas Carl".  She also played in several other big hit "A" films, among stellar casts.  She was one of the pioneers of US TV during the late 1940s and 1950s.  I assume that she got the part of the mother in the "Lassie" TV series, because she had already acted in two Lassie feature films. She had a long and amazing acting career.   
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3205 on: March 07, 2022, 02:27:34 PM »

Marta Kristen also turned up briefly in "BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS".

Much later, she, Angela Cartright, June Lockhart, Mark Goddard & DICK TUFELD all had cameos in the 1998 LOST IN SPACE film.  The 2 girls played reporters, Lockhart played a school-teacher, Goddard played Don West's boss (I thought that was funny), while Tufeld was the only one who played his own part from the show-- the voice of The Robot.

Under the circumstances, I think Edward Fox did a better job that Jonathan Harris probably wold have... while there are 3 different conflicting stories regarding why Bill Mumy didn't wind up in the film.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3206 on: March 07, 2022, 04:50:35 PM »

Marta Kristen also turned up briefly in "BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS".

Much later, she, Angela Cartright, June Lockhart, Mark Goddard & DICK TUFELD all had cameos in the 1998 LOST IN SPACE film.  The 2 girls played reporters, Lockhart played a school-teacher, Goddard played Don West's boss (I thought that was funny), while Tufeld was the only one who played his own part from the show-- the voice of The Robot.

Under the circumstances, I think Edward Fox did a better job that Jonathan Harris probably wold have... while there are 3 different conflicting stories regarding why Bill Mumy didn't wind up in the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXiKG4Esf6Y
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3207 on: March 07, 2022, 11:43:51 PM »

DRUMS OF FU MANCHU

Chapter 2 ends when Alan Parker confronts Fu directly in his office. I started yelling at the screen, "SHOOT him! SHOOT HIM!!!!!" Instead, the idiot told him not to move, and talked about how "In this country, we let the law decide a criminal's fate." So, as expected, seconds later, Fu hit a switch on his desk, a trap door opened, and Alan fell into a water tank below where a HUGE OCTOPUS grabbed him, as the trap door closed above him.

Some "heroes" aren't too bright in these things... 🙂

I was just reminded... in Ian Fleming's novel "DR. NO", at the end of the "endurance course", Bond falls into water inhabited by a GIANT OCTOPUS.  It's a shame the film producers in 1962 didn't have the budget to do something that Republic Films was able to manage 22 years earlier.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 11:46:17 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3208 on: March 08, 2022, 12:55:42 AM »

I stumbled on Space Family Rollinson in Knockout from the 1950?s. From what I?ve seen of the strip, the US comic and tv show have a lot of similarity to the earlier strip
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3209 on: March 08, 2022, 04:11:24 AM »

Now THAT's fascinating-- and something I've NEVER heard of before!!

Space Family Rollinson ran in England from 1953-58.

Gold Key's Space Family Robinson ran in America from 1962-1982.

Wikipedia says:
"In 1965, when Irwin Allen produced the primetime television show Lost in Space, Gold Key's publishers noticed the similarities between the comic books and the show. They considered filing suit, but decided against it, as Gold Key was also publishing an Irwin Allen title, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. The two companies reached an agreement that the comic could change its cover title to Space Family Robinson: Lost in Space. The new title appeared starting with issue #15 (Jan 1966)."

Very strange. I admit, I've never read the Gold Key series, but what little I've seen of it and read about it, it seems to have ALMOST NOTHING in common with LOST IN SPACE, except for the name of the family, which clearly came from Johann David Wyss' classic THE SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON, which was published in 1812, and adapted to a film in 1900, 1940, 1960 and 1976. Crazy enough, Irwin Allen also did a TV series based on the book in 1975 (and there've been others).

Anyone picking up the Gold Key series expecting it to be a tie-in with the Irwin Allen series was probably severly disappointed.

The main draw (for me, if I ever do get ahold of the comics) would be the art of Dan Spiegle.  Among many other things, he did my favorite version of BLACKHAWKS (in the early 80s), and, the classic MAJOR MATT MASON coloring book!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 04:13:41 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3210 on: March 08, 2022, 05:29:59 AM »

it seems to have ALMOST NOTHING in common with LOST IN SPACE, except for the name of the family, which clearly came from Johann David Wyss' classic THE SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON,

Correct. I came into contact with the Gold Key comic long before I saw the TV show. I never compared one to the other, and probably liked the comic better.
The Gold Key comics, Swiss Family Robinson, Magnus, Dr Solar, Twilight Zone, were what kept me reading comics when I became a teenager, And I should mention the Dell and Gold Key movie adaptations, and Sam Glantzman's work for Dell, particularly COMBAT and KONA.  Not Marvel or DC. They came later.
But I was well aware of the Swiss Family Robinson from the Disney movie which was huge and come out a few years before.
Here, to my surprise, is  a shortened version. Get it before it disappears.
Swiss Family Robinson 1960 - John Mills, Dorothy McGuire, James MacArthur , Adventure, Family - hd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCI607hy4g 
Ridiculously foreshortened! And there are no Tigers in New Guinea. 
First film I saw on my own without an adult, if memory serves, at a time when Theaters ran the film all day and night and you could buy a ticket, walk into the screening any time and when the film came round to where you walked in, you could leave or stay for another screening. And at interval, people came round the the theatre with icecreams and drinks which you bought from trays they had tied round their shoulders.
Those were the days my friend!
Cheers!     

« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 05:38:55 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3211 on: March 08, 2022, 04:18:11 PM »

I'm pretty sure I saw SFR in a theatre either in the late 60s or early 70s, on a double-reissue bill with 101 DALMATIONS, which, of course, was the headliner!

So I kinda suffered thru it (LOL) waiting for the "good" film (the cartoon). It wasn't bad, really, that I recall.  Judging by the cast, it may have been the first time I ever saw John Mills or James MacArthur. My main interest was seeing where "LOST IN SPACE" came from, and thinking, "I prefer the space version." (heehee)  Also, the most similar film I'd seen to it, and also preferred, was the Ray Harryhausen version of Jules Verne's "THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND".  It was maybe 15 years later that I actually got around to reading that book, and I was quite surprised to find-- there WEREN'T any giant animals in it!!!   ;D

You know, I don't think I've seen either of those movies since then, though I still remember Cruella DeVille yelling at her idiot henchman... "And WATCH your driving-- do you want to be arrested by the POLICE??" -- before tearing out of there like a maniac.

There's a character on TV who reminds me of her-- Mrs. Lillian Carlson (Carol Bruce) on "WKRP IN CINCINNATI".  Absolute evil fiend.

It's the weirdest thing, but in the 70s, Irwin Allen actually (more or less) revisited 3 of his TV series in different formats, between CITY BENEATH THE SEA (unsold pilot movie), SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON (tv series, ran 2 seasons!), THE TIME TRAVELLERS (unsold pilot movie), and THE AMAZING CAPTAIN NEMO (unsold pilot 3-episode mini-series-- this last one was AWFUL!).

Infamously, when RESCUE FROM GILLIGAN'S ISLAND became the highest-rated tv movie ever at the time, and unleashed a torrent of reunions and revivals that has not stopped to this day, Bill Mumy approached Irwin Allen with the idea of doing a LOST IN SPACE revival, even having written a script for it.  And Allen looked at him as if he was DIRT-- and said, menacingly-- "Lost In Space is MY show, and if ANYone revives it, I will, and I'LL WRITE THE SCREENPLAY!"  Way to go to encourage enthusiasm and loyalty.  Sick B******.  Mumy, always such a nice guy, said in an interview, "And you know, he was right."  I DON'T THINK SO.  There never was a proper reunion sequel, and once Guy Williams passed away, it was too late to do one.

I've often thought if Allen had stepped BACK from LOST IN SPACE and hired someone else to produce it, it might have become a MUCH-BETTER show.  And I say this, LOVING the show as it is.  There was something just not normal about that guy... even by Hollywood standards.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 04:23:50 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3212 on: March 08, 2022, 05:26:20 PM »

there are no Tigers in New Guinea.

The Tasmanian Tiger once roamed the forests of New Guinea and theres reason to believe that The Marsupial  "Queensland Tiger also thrived there in recent times.

Wasn't there a bit in the film where they addressed the unusual wildlife by speaking of a prehistoric "land bridge" that had once connected the islands with the mainland.
I don't think there actually ever was one but such land bridges may have existed in other regions, such as the Berents strait during early human history.
Such theories were commonplace in trying to explain such things as the dwarf Mammoths of Rangel Island.

I remember an old newspaper article reprinted by our local paper during a centenial celebration. The article was about a large troop of Chimpanezes raiding orchards in East Tennessee. Turned out the apes had escaped from a wrecked circus train months before.
The Dragon of Malta may have been a African Crocodile that had been cargo on a merchant ship wrecked by a storm. Wealthy nobles of the time paid huge sums to those who could deliver strange animals for exhibition.

Encountering a single tiger on an island suggests it may have ended up there in the same manner as the castaways.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 05:31:28 PM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3213 on: March 09, 2022, 08:40:55 AM »

there are no Tigers in New Guinea.

The Tasmanian Tiger once roamed the forests of New Guinea and theres reason to believe that The Marsupial  "Queensland Tiger also thrived there in recent times.

Wasn't there a bit in the film where they addressed the unusual wildlife by speaking of a prehistoric "land bridge" that had once connected the islands with the mainland.
I don't think there actually ever was one but such land bridges may have existed in other regions, such as the Berents strait during early human history.
Such theories were commonplace in trying to explain such things as the dwarf Mammoths of Wrangel Island.

I remember an old newspaper article reprinted by our local paper during a centennial celebration. The article was about a large troop of Chimpanzees raiding orchards in East Tennessee. Turned out the apes had escaped from a wrecked circus train months before.
The Dragon of Malta may have been a African Crocodile that had been cargo on a merchant ship wrecked by a storm. Wealthy nobles of the time paid huge sums to those who could deliver strange animals for exhibition.

Encountering a single tiger on an island suggests it may have ended up there in the same manner as the castaways.

There WAS a very wide, giant prehistoric peninsular land bridge (called Sundaland) that connected Southeast Asia (Burma/Thailand/Indochina/Malaya) with the Indonesian Islands of Sumatra, Borneo, Java and the southwestern Phillipine Island of Palawan, and another land bridge connecting New Guinea with Australia, during much of the last Ice Age.  So, New Guinea was not connected to mainland Asia, but WAS connected to Australia/Tasmania (as shown in the map below. The extra land is shown in light gray).

Bali, Sulawesi, Halmahera, and Timor remained detached islands between Australia/New Guinea and The Asian Mainland. Lots of marsupials had the freedom to roam to and from Australia and New Guinea to the other.  But the islands remaining in the straits between Sulawesi and New Guinea were too far apart to allow tigers to migrate from The Asian mainland all the way to New Guinea.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 08:51:26 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3214 on: March 09, 2022, 04:14:06 PM »

I continues to seem crazy to me that Kong's Island should SINK into the ocean at the exact moment that Robert Armstrong got his hand on the island's "treasure".

;D
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3215 on: March 09, 2022, 04:16:01 PM »

There's a scene in chapter 3 where a scientist, drugged by FU MANCHU into becoming a psychic mind-slave, hears his "master" calling him, and says... "The drums-- the DRUMS!" When I saw this, I KNEW where that crap in DOCTOR WHO season 3 came from. But it's much better here, way back in 1940.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vae4-XTFDaQ&list=PLi5s3-YiYzffNtKp0enduNMFZulIky-0n&index=3
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3216 on: March 09, 2022, 05:14:59 PM »

I continues to seem crazy to me that Kong's Island should SINK into the ocean at the exact moment that Robert Armstrong got his hand on the island's "treasure".

;D

I agree!  When Armstrong removed the treasure, making the island less heavy?  It should do the opposite of sink!   ;D
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3217 on: March 09, 2022, 06:04:42 PM »

;D

I agree!  When Armstrong removed the treasure, making the island less heavy?  It should do the opposite of sink!   ;D

Now wait a minute, he was still ON the island, so it wouldn't be less heavy!  (And it was only ONE item of jewelry he grabbed.)

SON OF KONG was nicely made, some of the monster animations were arguably superior to those in KING KONG, but overall, the story was so relentlessy SAD.  Having the island break up and sink with the last survivor desperately clinging to the last rock seems really inspired by the climax of Jules Verne's "THE MYSTEROUS ISLAND".  It just seems so out-of-left field.  And so unfair for Baby Kong to have caught his foot so he couldn't swim away...

Although, as I said to my best friend on the phone the other day, once the rocks went underwater, they could have broken up, he could have gotten loose, and swam to another island.  His next appearance, naturally, would be in KING KONG VS. GODZILLA.

Either that, or KING KONG ESCAPES.

One scene that cracked me up was when Baby Kong grabbed a dinosaur around his neck, and used its head as a punching bag.  I'd done that exact thing (only much funnier) on a cartoon I did some years ago, but it never occured to me I might have gotten the idea from SON OF KONG.

WARNING:  CARTOON NUDITY involved.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jov8yluBN2Y/T7z7EJjtlBI/AAAAAAAACfs/oEyPTC9Ezrw/s1600/BUNNY+p005.jpg
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3218 on: March 09, 2022, 07:23:32 PM »

Because so much horribleness is going on right now, I've tried to shelter from it and started watching some old Doctor Who.  Currently, Image of the Fendhal.   Excellent entertainment even if the Tardis interior looks a bit worn and down at heel. Leela just wants to kill everyone.  Hilarious. 
Next, Horror of Fang  Rock.  Rutans! That'll take my mind off the fight for lebensraum.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3219 on: March 09, 2022, 10:28:20 PM »

"Fang Rock" and "Fendahl" are 2 of the most "nihilistic" stories in DOCTOR WHO history-- coming at the tail-end of 3-1/2 years solid years of nothing but "gothic horror".

In "Fang Rock", EVERYBODY dies (except Leela & The Doctor), while in "Fendahl", ALMOST everybody dies (ditto, plus the old lady and her son).  A total innocent (Thea Ransom, played by the gorgeous Wanda Ventham) becomes a victim and is killed, while another character, The Doctor actually helps him commit SUICIDE once he senses he's being taken over by the alien force.

My favorite element of "Fang Rock" is that once again Leela winds up in period clothes.  I didn't care for her fancy dress, but once she changed into pants & a sweater, I thought, "Oh, wow, she looks like an AVENGERS girl!"  I wish that had continued.

On the other hand, Leela looked like a HOOKER in "Fendahl".  That new outfit of hers must have been some fancy underwear she found in the closet and mistook for a real outfit, and her hair just looked AWFUL.  At least she fixed her hair at the end.

I loved the part where she says to The Doctor, "Do not worry, Doctor, I will protect you."

Also, the part where she's describing him, saying "has great knowledge-- and a certain-- gentleness."  QUICK CUT to an angy Doctor kicking boxes in the store-room he's locked in.  Funny comic timing.

I must say, Leela is a character that, while I wasn't crazy about her at first, has slowly, STEADILY continued to grow on me over the decades.  It's not about how she looks or what she wears.  I get a kick out of how she's so well-spoken for someone with such limited education.  She's clearly intelligent-- she just doesn't know much, but she's very eager to learn. And beneath the tough "savage" veneer, there's a real human "warmth" about her.

The fact that I once spent about 20 minutes chatting with Louise Jameson no doubt helps a lot.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 10:30:50 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3220 on: March 10, 2022, 12:45:17 PM »

We watched an old Midsomer Murders last night and Wanda Ventham played the palm reader. Excellent as always, older and doing a good comedy turn.  Very unlike her character in Fendahl. 
While Tom Baker is not my favourite Doctor, some of his adventures  are high on my watch again list. Pyramids of Mars, Weng Chiang, Fang Rock, Fendahl, City of Death. Fendahl has a Quatermass feel about it, don't you think?
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3221 on: March 10, 2022, 08:43:38 PM »

I never thought about it-- YES, it does!

Tom Baker right now tends to be my 3rd-favorite Doctor.  It's his "erratic" nature that sometimes drives me UP A WALL.  Like, he's not all there, and he's beating the bad guys by DUMB LUCK.  (He got better in season 16.  "Competition" with Romana, I think-- heehee.)

"You know, before I met you, I was willing to be impressed."
;D

That's gotta be one of the funniest lines in the show's history.

That said, I do feel that for his first 6 seasons, he had the most consistently good writing, perhaps of the entire run of the series.  I just wish it was more varied (like seasons 1-2) and less "every story the same" until they change it to some other "every story the same".  3-1/2 YEARS of "gothic horror" was way too much for me.  It's no wonder I love season 16 so much.  (Mary Tamm's also a big part-- heh.)

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3222 on: March 11, 2022, 12:31:43 AM »

Re 'Tigers'
The Tasmanian Tiger once roamed the forests of New Guinea and there's reason to believe that The Marsupial  "Queensland Tiger also thrived there in recent times.
There are marsupials in New Guinea. All of these are in fact the same animal. The marsupial tiger is only called that because it has stripes of a sort, so that was an easy ID.
However, co-incidentally I am reading a book on Indonesia - then the Dutch East Indies - written in 1940.
And I was reminded of something I had forgotten, The wholly accepted theory known as 'Wallaces line'
To quote from the book, 'The Spice Isles' by Frank Clune'
[Alfred Russel Wallace, English Naturalist, stayed 8 years in the region from1854, botanizing and zoologizing. He discovered ' Wallaces Line' a theoretical line - demarcation -  which passes between Lombok island and Bali and between Celebese and Borneo. The animals and plants to the east of this are Australian; those to the west of the line are Asiatic.]
More on Wallace's line and a map here.
https://www.thoughtco.com/the-wallace-line-1224711
In any case, in the movie, if I remember correctly they are shipwrecked 'on the way to New Guinea' and had not arrived. And yes, the Tiger could have gotten there from another ship that sank.
However, there ain't no tigers in New Guinea. Quite a lot of other nasties and there may still be undiscovered Fauna there.   
The Wallace Line theory holds true for both plants and animals, but it is much more distinctive for the animal species than the plants.   

Even the birds, which are capable of migrating between the mainlands of Asia and Australia, seem to stay put and have thus diverged over long periods of time. It is not known if the differing landforms make the animals aware of the boundary, or if there is something else that keeps the species from traveling from one side of the Wallace Line to the other.     

cheers!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3223 on: March 11, 2022, 12:43:54 AM »

It's the weirdest thing, but in the 70s, Irwin Allen actually (more or less) revisited 3 of his TV series in different formats, between CITY BENEATH THE SEA (unsold pilot movie), SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON (tv series, ran 2 seasons!), THE TIME TRAVELLERS (unsold pilot movie), and THE AMAZING CAPTAIN NEMO (unsold pilot 3-episode mini-series-- this last one was AWFUL!).

That suggests to me:
That he probably wasn't coping well by that time. - I suspect he didn't get a lot of respect [from the industry] - success, and his shows were successful, can cause envy and contempt and it would have been easy to sneer at his shows for some people.
That he was somewhat desperate and unwilling to chance a new idea.
That - given his reaction to Bill Mumy - he was unwilling to listen to or take advice or help from others.
He is not and was not the first entrepreneur who had early success and was unable to repeat it.
Cheers!   
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3224 on: March 11, 2022, 01:21:05 AM »

Because so much horribleness is going on right now, I've tried to shelter from it and started watching some old Doctor Who.
great. .
Like Paw, my favorite Doctor is  Patrick Troughton  [#2] For one thing, because he was the first to portray an ideoscycratic Doctor Who.
When it comes to Who, there are a few factors, the main actors, the story lines, the costumes and the BBC's budget.
Jon Pertwee - good actor - but due to budget constraints - his time was memorable but disappointing.
Tom Baker - the kind of actor that dominates the screen whenever he is on - so memorable, but the stories often weren't.
Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy - all hampered by over-the-top costumes.
Dr Who was broadcast from 1963 to 1989 the first go-round and I wasn't glued to a television set for those 30 years, so didn't watch a lot of those guys,but was disappointed by what I did see.
Colin Baker - had he been let loose to do it his way, could have been one of the best,but he wasn't, more the pity.
If you want to see what he could do, find the episode of Blake's 7 where he played the villain. Probably, for more than one reason, the best episode of that series.
It's hard to pick a second choice.
Eccleston, Tennant, and Matt Smith are all good.
I have a soft spot for  Peter Capaldi. He is probably my #2, he played the part well, but the storylines he was given were often over-the top ludicrous and disappointing.
Capaldi was also earlier in Torchwood. If you really want to see how good he can be, Run don't Walk,  to the BBC 'Three Musketeers' series where he played the villain Cardinal Richelieu. A great series.
cheers!                     
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.