in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 716075 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #3225 on: March 11, 2022, 01:52:49 AM »

If there is anybody out there who needs a Doctor Who fix,
try this.
Originally a web series called,
Untitled Web Series About a Space Traveler Who Can Also Travel Through Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azbR_WmuI70&list=PLWn8_ScCBNf60tSSzSl7dARBSA52O2axt&index=2

and then later 'The Inspector chronicles'
And what is the difference between a sworn enemy and an archnemisis?

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3226 on: March 11, 2022, 03:15:36 PM »

And a spin off, Auton, on Daily Motion:-
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x71ewhh

Doctor Who "new" plays on audio.  Nick Briggs plays The Doctor in all but the first story:-
https://archive.org/details/doctorwhoaudiovisuals
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 04:16:11 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3227 on: March 14, 2022, 05:31:01 AM »

I'm right into looking into movies on Google that are so old or unnoticed that you don't have to subscribe to watch them.
Saw a still of Charlton Heston in this one and thought - seriously? Then went looking for the movie.
Yes, that's definitely the template for Indiana Jones, Hat, Jacket, attitude, the lot.   
Secret of the Incas 1954 Full Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TS7Fabyolw
Is Hollywood ever capable of originality?
Good movie tho!
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3228 on: March 14, 2022, 04:41:55 PM »

I'm right into looking into movies on Google that are so old or unnoticed that you don't have to subscribe to watch them.
Saw a still of Charlton Heston in this one and thought - seriously? Then went looking for the movie.
Yes, that's definitely the template for Indiana Jones, Hat, Jacket, attitude, the lot.   
Secret of the Incas 1954 Full Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TS7Fabyolw
Is Hollywood ever capable of originality?
Good movie tho!

They admitted long ago that the Indiana Jones film makers chose the Secret of the Incas main character's clothing as the template for Indy's costuming. It was in fact a very natural choice.
The Jacket worn by Heston's character is a Air Corp A-2 Flying jacket, perhaps the most popular leather garment ever produced.
In fact I just ordered a reproduction of this jacket last week. I'd wanted one for years but prices normally run from 350 USD into the thousands depending on maker and quality.
The one I ordered is an Excelled brand from a manufacturer that made these for our military at one time. It was on a clearance sale marked down from $350 to $140 and with a 20% coupon I got it for $112 with free shipping.
Mine will be black rather than the mil spec brown, but otherwise conforms to the original standards. Owners reviews give these high marks. 100% Lambskin leather with a fine finish.
While Lambskin is the least desireable for collectors, The original A-1 jacket (different collar for open cockpit use)was made of Sheepskin which proved a bit fragile, its well suited for my purposes. If I had my druthers I'd have rather had the horse hide with seal brown finish which itself is almost black.

Anyway for the time period the A-2 was widely available as surplus at reasonable prices and made by the best manufacturers of the best quality leather. Perfect for an adventurous man, most being veterans anyway.

Indy's jacket is not an A-2 but rather a more civilian style coat designed specificaly for the character. In photos the Indy coat looks very much like the A-2 but lacks the knit cuffs and waistband, Something like a badly worn over long A-2 with worn out knit cuffs and band cut away and zipper etc redone to better suit warmer climes. Customised perhaps after long years of use.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 05:11:06 PM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3229 on: March 14, 2022, 05:23:33 PM »

Back in the late '50's and '60's, some blokes had jackets just like that.  I'm not saying they were the real thing but then again, there were American bases dotted about in Scotland and stuff escaped from them.  Also the reason why American comics occasionally turned up before they were officially distributed in the UK.
I always fancied one of those jackets.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3230 on: March 14, 2022, 10:52:57 PM »

Back in the late '50's and '60's, some blokes had jackets just like that.  I'm not saying they were the real thing but then again, there were American bases dotted about in Scotland and stuff escaped from them.  Also the reason why American comics occasionally turned up before they were officially distributed in the UK.
I always fancied one of those jackets.

Well my A-2 got here a day early.
Very well made and with Airforce order numbers on the label.
Its turned out to be a winter weight with a fairly thick lining, a bit too heavy for spring and summer wear , but fit is perfect. Perhaps with this wonky weather I'll have more chances to wear it before warm weather sets in, especially at night.

The pattern seems to be the post Korean War version, with extra side pockets. IIRC the Navy G1 version, the one with fur collar, introduced these hand warmer pockets. Those pockets are convenient but un necessary, I found the standard fron pockets are generous enough to comfortably place your hands in to get them warm. Pilots always had gloves handy anyway.

All in all I'd rate this particular repro as an excellent biker jacket and for cold weather use.

While looking into the Indiana Jones style jackets I found there are a number of these available at reasonable prices. These are in cow hide and brown like the fim used, some are pre weathered to look like the one worn by Harrison Ford. They look more suited to spring and fall or mild summer nights. Some can be ordered with a winter liner.

PS
Almost forgot. I repaired an old biker styled A-2 similar to mine many years ago. A biker friend had gotten into a bar fight and his opponent tried to gut him with a very sharp knife. His jacket had a thick stiff quilted lining that stopped the blade though it had cut through the front pocket flap and all and leather under it in a seven inch gash. The jacket had most likely saved his life that night.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 10:58:55 PM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3231 on: March 14, 2022, 11:01:14 PM »

Back in the late '50's and '60's, some blokes had jackets just like that.

Definitely. But not hats like that!
Up to the 80's there were what were called, 'Army Surplus Stores' where secondhand army gear, clothing, survival gear, tents and so on, could be had. They were superceded by camping or 'wilderness' shops where the price was high, not low. As is still the case today.
Many servicemen brought items like uniform jackets home with them, and why wouldn't you keep a jacket like that?
They became uniform for a lot of motorbike groups, who also at first  were top-heavy with ex-serviceman. Marlon Brando in the Wild One' I bought a heavy leather jacket - probably a copy - in London in 1977. Kept me warm, and kept me noticed. Loved that jacket.
Oh, and Bogart in 'treasure of the sierra madre' [a copy of which is siting on my table] would also have been an influence on Indiana Jones.
Cheers!         
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 06:03:03 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3232 on: March 15, 2022, 02:42:13 AM »

THE WILD 1/2

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3233 on: March 18, 2022, 09:41:50 PM »

THE BISHOP MURDER CASE
(Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer / 1929)

BRILLIANT-- and FUN!

Several studios competed to buy up rights to S.S. Van Dyne's Philo Vance novels in the late 1920s, which were immensely-popular.  As a result, 3 Vance films were released in 1929 alone, from 2 different studios-- Paramount & MGM-- and with 2 different sets of actors playing the same regular cast:  Philo Vance, District Attourney Markham, Sgt. Ernest Heath, and Dr. Van Pelt, the coroner who's always annoyed his mealtime is interrupted by having to see murder victims.

This is the 3rd film released, the 1st I haven't seen before, and oddly, the 4th one on the OnesMedia box set.  I'm not sure it matters, but I decided to watch them in release order rather than box set order, just to see if it made any difference.  I found it amusing that early in the film, someone mentioned "The Greene Murder Case", which had come out just 4-1/2 months earlier, from a DIFFERENT studio!

There's been so many instances of film series with different actors, or from various different studios, and even 2 or more versions of the same story filmed at the same time.  But this one somehow really flipped me out.  The 4 regulars are so recognizably the same characters (despite only Sgt. Heath having even a vague physical resemblence to the other actor who played him), but the ENTIRE FILM has a drastically-different look and feel and AURA about it.  This is MGM, after all, the top-of-the-line studio with the most money to spend.  Right from the start, it looks like a MUCH-bigger budgeted film than the ones from Paramount, and I'd swear there's a lot of matte paintings being employed, to widen the visual scope of Manhattan and the balcony of Vance's plush apartment.

Remembering this is still just barely one half-step away from the silent era, some of the camera-work, while static, reminded me of the style I'd seen in Fritz Lang's "METROPOLIS"-- there's a comparison I never thought I'd see in a murder mystery.  But these are interspersed with moments of very advanced, "artsy" camera shots, suggesting to me the cameraman was trying wherever he could to break out of the "filmed stage play" style of most of the picture.

I'm only really familiar with two actors in this.  The first, of course, is BASIL RATHBONE, who I have never seen this young before! While I suspect William Powell will always be my idea of the "classic" version of Philo Vance, Rathbone in his way is SO DAMNED GOOD in this, I find myself dearly wishing he'd done more than just this one film.  MGM returned to Vance in 1935 and 1936, but between them, their 3 Vance film starred 3 DIFFERENT actors.  WTF?

A funny detail is that several times in the story, one of the other characters jokingly refers to him and D.A. Markham as "Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson"-- TEN YEARS before Rathbone played Holmes in "THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES".  In fact, in one scene, Vance describes exactly what Sgt. Heath did the night before, based entirely on the condition of Heath's face, finger, lapel & handkerchief.

Roland Young plays Sigurd Arnesson, one of the chief suspects.  He's so charming, clever, and aggressively helpful, you can't help thinking he's the prototype COLUMBO murderer!  But, is he the guilty one?  You have to wait until the very end of the film to find out!  I've seen Young in a few things, but his real stand-out performance was as the private eye in "AND THEN THERE WERE NONE" (1945), who figured out the identity of the murderer-- seconds before being crushed to death by falling bricks.

Clarence Gelbert is D.A. Markham. Not much to say about him, except he doesn't stand out as well as E.H. Calvert or Robert McWade did in the Paramount or Warner Bros. films.

James Donlan as the thick-skulled Sgt. Ernest Heath is another matter though.  Slightly less jovial and more serious than Eugene Pallette (who played Heath in 5 films, more times than anyone played Vance!), he probably has the most physical resemblence to him, while also reminding me a bit of Edward G. Robinson both in how he looks and how he talks.  Turns out, I've seen him in a few things, often playing detectives.  At one point, Vance says to Markham, "All the same, he IS the best Sergeant you have on the force."  I had to laugh-- was that a compliment-- or an insult?

Similar to "THE GREENE MURDER CASE", "BISHOP" involves a large house and a family being picked off one by one.  The fact that the 2 stories play out so differently kept surprising me, the longer it went on.  You have a use of "theme" murders, as well as a group of suspects being whittled down as they get killed off one by one.  At one point, I toyed between 2 "obvious" suspects, but by the end, it turned out NEITHER of them was actually the killer!

There's a LOT of character humor and great lines in this, which kept me smiling and laughing all the way through what many these days would probably find hopelessly old, static & creaky. The fact that, unlike the first 2 films, OnesMedia's copy of this was a CRYSTAL-CLEAR print, really added to my enjoyment.  Oh, if only someone could do decent restorations on "CANARY" and "GREENE"!!  The way the ending played out, with its twists and dialogue, left me STUNNED.  It's one thing to watch a very old movie and think, "That was fun", or "That was okay", but this one genuinely left me feeling, "THAT was F***ING BRILLIANT!!"  No kidding.  What a great way to feel about a film from all the way back in 1929.

And I've still got most of the box set to go.

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3234 on: March 19, 2022, 03:04:45 AM »

tonight's movie:

"Do you know anything about the case?"
"Yes, it's putting me way behind in my drinking."
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3235 on: March 21, 2022, 02:00:12 AM »

THE PROTECTORS: "Sugar And Spice"
Preventing a kidnapping *******   (1-11-1974)

To prevent a corporate merger, 4 mercenaries are hired to kidnap the daughter of a prominent businessman. Harry, Caroline & Paul are hired to protect Vicki, whose father insists, "She must never know. Can you imagine the effect it would have on a ten-year-old?" As Caroline & Paul look at Harry, they know, HE KNOWS. (His wife & son were kidnapped in the previous season.)

Taking Vicki out of school and to a small house in the country, Harry poses as a teacher, Paul a chauffer and Caroline a houskeeper. Unexpectedly, this turns out to be fun episode. Especially when, in the middle of the night, 3 of the men (the 4th already having been captured) break in. As a free-for-all commences, it's accompanied with wild, frenetic violin music, turning the fight into a light-hearted affair. This may be the closest this show ever came to feeling like THE AVENGERS.

The next day, allowed to go outside again, Vicki asks Harry if he's sure. "Have I ever lied to you?" She nods in the affirmative. "On a Wednesday?"

I might have missed him if I hadn't seen his name in the credits. The only guest-actor I know in this was the guy who played the father's assistant, who was only in one brief scene and had maybe 3 lines-- John Normington. I'll always remember him for his 2 roles on DOCTOR WHO--the first as Morgus, arguably one of the most evil bastards in the show's entire history, and the second, as the census man in "The Happiness Patrol". The first time I saw that, I had no idea I'd seen him before!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 02:03:02 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3236 on: March 22, 2022, 12:06:03 PM »

Just finished rewatching my old DVD of "The Changes", a really odd and a bit disturbing UK TV series from 1975.
You can find it on DAILY Motion if you're interested.
It appears there are no quality copies to be found, just mostly blurry VHS rips and the like.

What struck me most about this film is that in many ways it reminds me of some issues of Hell Boy, especially the last episode.

The series was marketed as childrens TV and despite an extremely low budget and toned down action scenes manages to grip adult viewers.
The off screen deaths are all the more more harrowing for being described by witnesses or simply implied.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 03:35:05 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3237 on: March 23, 2022, 05:02:41 PM »

Thanks for mentioning The Changes.  I don't remember it but I'll look for it now.
Other serials for "children" are on You Tube incl. the Children of The Stones:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwT0wLnT7Rc
They say children but they are good enough for anyone to watch, imo.  I love Children of The Stones.

Dark Season:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXAlMUmpUiU

Pathfinders in Space:-
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw6gg897HVfvXygbD4CavDLuVYEJmQmSj

NOT for children, Sapphire and Steele, particularly the 2nd serial:-
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=saphire+and+steele

And if you fancy the poor man's Avengers, Adam Adamant is here:-
https://www.dailymotion.com/search/adam%20adamant/videos
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 05:05:57 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3238 on: March 26, 2022, 02:54:01 AM »

HIGH PRESSURE  (1932)

William Powell stars in this TOTALLY-INSANE film about a business promoter who may have been conned into building up a company based on an outright fraud. It's not quite a comedy, but I kept getting the feeling that with only a few minor changes, this could have almost been a Marx Brothers type of story.

Mervyn LeRoy's direction turns this into a non-stop roller-coaster ride. And to think, I got this one for FREE with a 13-film PHILO VANCE box set.  Damned-good quality print, too.

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3239 on: April 02, 2022, 04:43:19 PM »

Just yesterday, I saw the direct-to-video movie "SUPERMAN: BRAINIAC ATTACKS" (2006), a direct sequel to the 90s TV cartoon show. They brought back Tim Daly, Dana Delany, etc. By 5 minutes in, I was very impressed. by the end, I felt I'd just watched the BEST DAMNED SUPERMAN MOVIE EVER MADE.

Really.

When I told this to my chiropractor (who's way more into superhero shows & movies than I am), his actual response was...

"I like the THEATRE EXPERIENCE".

WTF? Some people............ 😝

(Like, good or bad writing means NOTHING to some people.)

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3240 on: April 02, 2022, 05:00:08 PM »

Now... a big sub-plot in this story is that Luthor manages to incorporate a sliver of KRYPTONITE into Brainiac when he helps him rebuild. During a destructive action scene, Lois becomes infected with it, and it looks like her blood is mutating and she's going to DIE. At his Fortress of Solitude, the computer informs Superman there's an element that can CURE both him and Lois, while also giving Superman a way to shield himself from Brainiac's detection.

Superman enters THE PHANTOM ZONE and faces all kinds of horrific dangers there, in order to get ahold of the element, then fight his way back to Earth in time to save Lois' life. As I was watching this, I COULDN'T get over how much this big part of the story almost exactly parelleled JACK KIRBY's story in FANTASTIC FOUR ANNUAL #6 (1968)!!!

Isn't it amazing how many things are inspired by Kirby-- UNCREDITED ???

Oh, and by the way... Wikipedia confirmed that Lex Luthor's personality in this film, rather than being the cold-blooded guy in the 90s cartoon TV show (which this generally seems to tie in directly with) is a lot more light-hearted, apparently borrowing some from Gene Hackman's movie performances... which, as most Kirby fans have come to realize, had NOTHING to do with Lex Luthor, but everything to do with "FUNKY FLASHMAN". So that's at least 2 big Kirby influences in the SAME movie.

https://files1.comics.org//img/gcd/covers_by_id/22/w400/22226.jpg?-8020332349754979574
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3241 on: April 10, 2022, 04:09:42 PM »

I think I managed to out-do everyone else at the IMDB when it came to writing a scathing review of this abortion. So far, it's the only movie I've give a 1-star rating (out of 10) to.

CHARLIE CHAN AND THE CURSE OF THE DRAGON QUEEN (1981)

An INSULT to the memory of a GREAT series *

Charlie Chan arrives in San Francisco via helicopter, exactly 24 minutes into the film. If they'd CUT the first 24 minutes, it would have VASTLY improved the film. Tragically, the next hour-plus isn't much better.

32 minutes in was the first-- no, make that ONLY-- time I laughed. "We're going to get married!" "Curse working already."

In the late 70s-early 80s, there were a whole stream of really wretchedly-awful films doing terrible, unwatchable revivals of classic characters. Among them, "DOC SAVAGE THE MAN OF BRONZE", ?THE LEGEND OF THE LONE RANGER", "TARZAN THE APE MAN", "THE WILD WILD WEST REVISITED", "STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE" (yes, really), "THE RETURN OF MAXWELL SMART" / "THE NUDE BOMB", and this. The best thing I can say about this is, it's nowhere near as ghastly as "THE FIENDISH PLOT OF DR. FU MANCHU".

I had to look up Jerry Sherlock to find out who in the HELL he was. The whole time I was watching, I wanted to get my hands around his throat and squeeze. Apparently he was the producer and came up with the story. He had a very skimpy career in Hollywood, and frankly, I'm shocked he was also involved with something as good as "THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER".

Stan Burns & David Axlerod are known for sitcoms and variety shows, but this must be a career-bottom for both of them. How do you do a "comedy" that JUST-- ISN'T-- funny???

Clive Donner?s had a mixed resume.  I've enjoyed his work on "DANGER MAN", "WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT", "VAMPIRA", and "A CHRISTMAS CAROL" (1984).  But he also did the 1st "GET SMART" revival, the worst of the 3 CBS Poirot films with Peter Ustinov, "DEAD MAN'S FOLLY", and this atrocity.  Maybe he didn't know how to say "no" to worthless scripts.

A remarkable cast is wasted on every score. Lee Remick, Brian Keith, Roddy McDowell, Johnny Sekka, Michael Fairman... they even managed to make Angie Dickinson look UN-attractive. Peter Ustinov seems to be in a completely-different movie from every other actor here, but that incessant loud grunting sound he kept making was totally out of place.

The centerpiece of all that's wrong is the idea that Lee Chan, who always was attracted to cute Chinese girls, would marry a Jewish girl, and have a son who was a total klutz, who would stroll obliviously through life creating chaos like that seen in a Harold Lloyd film.  I don't think Richard Hatch had much of a career after "THE STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO" and "BATTLESTAR GALACTICA", but even for him, this must be a career bottom.  And why is Michelle Pfeiffer doing a Goldie Hawn impression?

Never mind the plot, half of which is a series of utterly-unfunny chaotic chase scenes.  The wrap-up of the mystery almost could have saved this, if the entire rest of the film hadn't been so completely-painful and unwatchable on every single level.  Honestly, this makes the Monagram Roland Winters Chan films look great by comparison.  This even makes the awful 1971 unsold pilot "THE RETURN OF CHARLIE CHAN" look competent by comparison.

And considering the reported controversy when this came out, why, WHY didn't this or the 1971 film cast Keye Luke as Chan coming out of retirement?  Then again, good for him for not being in either of these bombs.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 04:14:13 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3242 on: April 14, 2022, 07:18:23 PM »

THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.:  "The King Of Diamonds Affair"

I don't want to go into details here.  I just wanted to pass on that while I enjoyed season 1 immensely, more than I imagined I would, and found many guest-actors getting some of the best scripts I'd ever seen then receive in their careers, here I am, most of the way into season 2, and at episode 54, I can COMPLETELY understand why, while this is a "fun" show, it NEVER became a favorite of mine.

It's too laid back, it's too silly, the main characters don't really get along that well, and too often, it just LOOKS CHEAP.

On top of that, in this episode, there was an entire gang of criminals all speaking in the WORST English accents I've ever heard on TV.  At one point, the leader kept switching back-and-forth between English and Italian, and I somehow missed that the entire gang was supposed to BE Italians, POSING as Englishmen.  WHAT??

The one saving grace of this story was Ricardo Montalban, as one of the most charming, likable bad guys in the run of the show to date.  (HE got to speak in his normal accent at least.)  A shame his character couldn't come back for a sequel...
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3243 on: April 16, 2022, 03:51:31 AM »

THE CASINO MURDER CASE
(Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer / 1935)

Vance turns Romantic-- and, Continental *****

Reviewer Robert Temple wasn't kidding when he said "The Vance series gets a makeover". This was like going from the 1st season of Adam West's BATMAN to the 2nd, in that the whole tone changes, not to mention, not for the first time, the entire regular cast. At least when MGM did "BISHOP" in 1929, I could believe Vance, Markham, Heath & Doreums were all the same characters from the Paramount films, and while Warner Brothers recast Markham & Doremus, they had the good sense to bring back Powell & Pallette. But here, only Doremus seems vaguely like the same character. The other 3 are unrecognizable! Wikipedia's article on the film lists the various casting choices who didn't make it in before we got what we did. WHY on Earth cast Paul Lukas, who later was so perfect as "Professor Arronax" in Disney's "20,000 LEAGUES", as a New York aristocrat?

Several have noted MGM tried to imitate "THE THIN MAN" films; this same mistake was made by multiple TV series in the mid-60s who all decided to imitate "BATMAN" instead of sticking with what made them successful. In the process, for the first time Vance gets romantically involved with a woman. At least Rosalind Russell was worth watching.

This film is also crammed with terrific character actors, including Arthur Byron (THE MUMMY), Leo G. Carroll (UNCLE and various Hitchcock films), Eric Blore (later THE LONE WOLF's sidekick in a whole slew of films), William Demarest (the auctioneer) and Donald Cook (who played both ELLERY QUEEN and PERRY MASON, and in here, oddly enough, reminds me of Jon Lovitz-- especially at the climax!). I'd swear I also recognized Jean Rogers as a woman who was at the auction.

I've read the later Vance books declined sharply; it seems the films did the same. One thing stood out for me. I figured out that I hadn't seen this movie in several decades, and so most of it I'd forgotten. But, as soon as the intended victim collapsed at the casino, I immediately figured out who the murderer was! And it was because I'd seen "THE GREENE MURDER CASE" twice-- as a variation on a gimmick used there popped up here. Turns out I was right.

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3244 on: April 17, 2022, 02:41:01 AM »

Turns out I wrote an IMDB review for tonight's movie all the way back on 2-24-2009.  If I'd written it tonight, I might have commented a LOT more on the cast, as I keep learning more and more about a lot of the actors who worked in Hollywood in the 1930s and 40s.

THE CASE OF THE CURIOUS BRIDE
(First National Pictures / Warner Bros. / 1935)

Perry Mason 2: Too Much Fun?     ******

I just watched THE CASE OF THE CURIOUS BRIDE again, the 2nd Perry Mason film. Once more with Warren William in the lead, but with a different Della, and with Allan Jenkins now playing "Spudsy" Drake instead of a police inspector. Perry now has a virtual army of friends & cronies, all of whom seem to be too happy to be hanging around in his sphere. It's almost like a Doc Savage story, except in this case, "Ham" is the hero! There's also a District Attourney who seems genuinely eager to have Perry brought up on charges of murder, or at the very least, disbarred!

Michael Curtiz, one of the most successful & popular directors in Hollywood history, did this installment, and frankly, it's got SO MUCH style & character & humor-- TOO much, I think, it seems Curtiz is trying too hard to distract the audience, focusing on almost everything EXCEPT the murder mystery. I'm reminded, a bit, of how I heard that when Orson Welles did TOUCH OF EVIL, he wound up taking an "average" crime story and threw his entire repertoire of skills at it in an attempt to turn it into a "work of art". At least in the restored version, I think he succeeded... In the case of ...CURIOUS BRIDE, I've seen this at least 3 times (AND read the book-- the only Earl Stanley Gardner novel I have read to date), and I find it almost impossible to follow the plot of this thing!

From what I remember of the novel, it was much simpler, much more straight-forward, and much easier to follow along with-- much like the 1st film, THE CASE OF THE HOWLING DOG. That was complex-- but complex in a "murder mystery" sort of way. This thing just seems to be getting in its own way trying to be too clever.

Tonight's comments:

Among the cast is Margaret Lindsay, who I've really taken a liking to of late; she was the sidekick in 7 Ellery Queen films in the early 40s.  She was also the lead girl in THE DRAGON MURDER CASE (1934), which also had Warren William in it as Philo Vance, before he started playing Perry Mason.  (I watched that one just last week!)  Meanwhile, the guy who plays her husband in this is Donald Woods, who was the 1st actor to play Ellery Queen (in 1935) and also played the murderer in THE CASINO MURDER CASE (1935), before playing Perry Mason in 1937!  Of these films (which I've watched in pretty quick succession just now), he seems to have the least amount of personality in CURIOUS BRIDE.

The further I get into my huge 1930s marathon, the more glad I am I thought of doing it.  It's amazing to watch so many people in front of and behind the cameras bouncing back and forth between so many movies and series.

Apparently all 6 Warner Bros. Perry Mason films were based on Earl Stanley Gardney novels, and all 6 were later remade as episodes of the Raymond Burr Perry Mason tv series!  I suppose I may eventually get around to tracking that down one of these years.  Although I've seen nearly every one of the Perry Mason tv-movies from the 1980s and 90s, I've only seen a tiny handful of the 50s-60s Tv series.  I suppose that would be almost the equivalent of having seen every Patrick Stewart episode of STAR TREK without ever having watched any with William Shatner.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3245 on: April 18, 2022, 07:49:05 AM »

Recently uploaded to YouTube
1944 One Mysterious Night - Budd Boetticher VO
Character "Boston Blackie'
very early movie directed by 'Budd' Boetticher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpWpK3EidrA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Blackie
Actor Chester Morris was the best-known Blackie, playing the character in 14 Columbia Pictures films (1941?1949) and in a 1944 NBC radio series. Boston Blackie is the role for which Morris is best remembered. 

TV series [56 episodes]
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZhuVwYfEDT_2DnPILHZ3CUhXyVTTyeoy
And here is more Warren William
The Lone Wolf Keeps a Date 1940
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQfOmTABPoQ

Excellent prints both movies.
Enjoy!   
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 10:56:08 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3246 on: April 18, 2022, 10:16:11 PM »

Fun trivia:

Warren William was the 4th actor to play PHILO VANCE...

...the 1st actor to play PERRY MASON...

...and the 8th actor to play MICHAEL LANYARD, THE LONE WOLF.

;D

« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 10:20:27 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3247 on: April 19, 2022, 06:42:05 AM »

Thanks for the tip, Panther! I've got all the Blackie DVD's but I didn't know that so many episodes of the TV show were available on You Tube. I always liked the opening scene with Blackie walking furtively down a deserted alley in the middle of the night-and the shabby newsstand around the corner where the seedy-looking announcer gave us the opening blurb! The series never came close to the standard of the Chester Morris films, but it did have its own curious charm. 
I never cared for the Perry Mason TV series, but loved the films. SO different from the TV character.  Warren William could play anything and he pulled this role off perfectly with just the right mix of brashness, humor, and his own brand of suavity. Perry Mason, Philo Vance, The Lone Wolf- I wonder how he would have been as Boston Blackie? Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3248 on: April 19, 2022, 11:10:53 AM »

Warren William could play anything and he pulled this role off perfectly with just the right mix of brashness, humor, and his own brand of suavity. 

I would have liked to see him as Sherlock Holmes.

Counter Espionage 1942 Dir. Edward Dmytryk [Lone Wolf]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPaAYdIowKE
In this one we see Forrest Tucker with his unmistakable American accent playing a German spy pretending to be an Englishman. And blink and you will miss him, keep your eyes open and you will see Lloyd Bridges doing the same thing.   

One Dangerous Night 1943  [Lone Wolf]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReVqhpkEU68

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3249 on: April 19, 2022, 11:56:45 AM »

Can't discuss Boston Blackie without a nod to Daffy Duck in Boston Quackie. "Friend to those who need no friends, enemy to those who have no enemies."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDNvyj8aUfA
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.