in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Weekly GA Related Swag

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

topic icon Author Topic: Weekly GA Related Swag  (Read 138031 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Weekly GA Related Swag
« Reply #400 on: July 07, 2013, 03:12:16 PM »

Is anyone else reading Little Abner at Gocomics.com? You can start from the beginning. I really like the strip. I read the first few years worth a few years ago but I am enjoying it again.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #401 on: July 09, 2013, 08:32:01 PM »

Some swag in the mail today all of them related in some way to my blog (this is gonna cost me, oops)--none of them in the public domain, though. Two I can't talk about because they're related to an upcoming blog. Then there's one FLY MAN and one MIGHTY CRUSADERS from the '60s. And a Golden Age SUPERSNIPE. The SUPERSNIPE isn't in the best condition, but it's good enough to let me sample what all the fuss was about.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #402 on: July 09, 2013, 11:44:45 PM »

I have a few coverless Supersnipe and they are a fun read
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #403 on: August 16, 2013, 03:30:22 PM »

We've been in London for a long weekend and of course that involved me sloping off to some comic shops.  I can't recommend highly enough the folk at 30th Century Comics at Putney.  And before anyone suggests this is just blatant advertising for them, please don't as they are the best for back issues - British, American and lots more.  There are other comic shops worth visiting incl.  Gosh and Orbital, it's simply that at Putney, they have the best back issue selection and their knowledge is excellent.
I spent ages in their basement digging in their pocket library boxes and found some lovely Super Detective Libraries which filled gaps in my collection.  Incl. 5 Lesley Shane adventures; a Blackshirt I'd been looking for; an issue of an obscure Picture Library series, "Scotland Yard"; another obscure series, "Private Eye"; a text Silent Three issue and a Schoolgirls' Picture Library issue - The Silent Three Fight Back.
Upstairs again, The Phantom label on a box attracted me like a magnet.  What a pile of Australian Frew Phantoms.  Spent rather a lot and bought quite a pile incl. the Lee Falk tribute issue and 2 of the 300 page Annuals, 1999 and 2000.  What a day.  I could have lived there.  If they provided pizza and coffee, I'd happily camp out in their basement.
Not only that but, before we left for London, I visited a couple of pals and one of them was getting boxes ready for the upcoming mart and I found British pocket libraries that he had for sale, and, he let me have my choice dirt cheap. They were all westerns, apart from one and I took a selection, some of which were from lesser known publisher and were reprints of Spanish stories.  One oddity was a reprint of the Bonelli comic, "Tex Willer, translated from the Italian original.  Something I never knew had been published in the U.K.  The non-western comic was a Miller b&w reprint in pocket book size, Marvel Tales #3, which reprints Atlas stories, incl. The Menace of the Mole Men. 
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #404 on: August 17, 2013, 09:37:08 PM »

Hi Paw,
Sounds like quite a trip for you.
That last Marvel Tales would be an interesting one to see - and I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for quite a bit over in America.  I've seen some UK reprints get surprisingly high bids.
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #405 on: September 14, 2013, 12:48:51 AM »

I felt like a boob just preordering Sergio Aragon
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #406 on: September 15, 2013, 06:06:46 PM »

My Ebay buys:

From Italy

1936 1st issue of the Red Mask and issue #'s 1 & 2 of the Green Falcon circa post war Italy.

Richard
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #407 on: September 15, 2013, 07:15:39 PM »

I read Dynamites King Watch 1 and was not impressed. I will not be getting this one.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #408 on: September 16, 2013, 03:20:20 AM »

I got my Superman stamps last week at Canada Post. I could do without the modern images, but the ones that use classic images are really great. Almost twenty years ago, Canada Post put out a classic set of stamps in October of '95 that I got--which celebrated some Canadian super-heroes, including Superman. I remember reading that Joe Shuster was really touched by this honour and it was a comfort to him before his death. I know that the U.S. has done Superman stamps, but those weren't done in Shuster's lifetime.

This got me to thinking about all the countries around the world which have used comic book characters in their stamps. It would be neat to compile images of all these stamps.

I'm also checking out here on CB+ the comic book from 1950, published by Youthful, called STAMPS. It's a pretty novel concept--an anthology of stories all based around stamps.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #409 on: October 16, 2013, 11:15:44 PM »

Not comic book related, but adjacent, I was doing my Canadian comics research when I found a site related to the pulp magazines that came out at the same time, during the War Exchange Conservation Act in the '40s. There's an archive site about it and it has a page where you can read some of the pulps. Here's the link to that page--

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/pulp/027019-1900-e.html
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #410 on: October 17, 2013, 12:44:17 AM »

Loved the Sensational Crime Confessions..... :-)

RB @ Home
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #411 on: October 24, 2013, 11:22:48 PM »

I am reading Brain Boy but have not committed to it yet. I will decide after next issue. I have learned not to jump too soon. I do not like the art but some of the characterization has me interested. I want to see how it goes.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #412 on: October 28, 2013, 04:40:50 PM »

A visit to my lcs on Friday netted Cap. Midnight #3 - I'll keep going with this for a while mainly as I want to see what they do with Skyman; East of West #6; Brain Boy#2; The Activity #15; Rocketeer-Spirit #2 (what a good looking comic); Velvet and #s 2,3,4 of FBP (formerly Collider)  A strange, intriguing, entertaining comic for conspiracy enthusiasts.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #413 on: October 28, 2013, 04:45:23 PM »

My ebay buys as of this weekend:
5 more issues of Ragar
4 more issues of Mistero
and 2 issues of Zambo
+ 2 issues of Tank

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #414 on: October 28, 2013, 11:47:03 PM »

keep em coming
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
New Adventures of Stardust
« Reply #415 on: February 09, 2014, 06:29:51 AM »

Stardust, Big Red Mclane, Fantomah and others are back. I discovered these on Indy Planet. The first issue was free. The art is really poor but the story is actually pretty cool. I am story person so I should be getting the rest.
http://www.indyplanet.com/front/?product=attack-of-the-super-wizards-1
They also have several issues of Charlton's Mr. Jigsaw by the original crew.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #416 on: July 31, 2014, 12:07:55 AM »

Arrived today 4 issues of Mistero (all complete) and 1 issue of Tanks (not complete) 1st of 7 shipments to come :-)

Richard

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #417 on: July 31, 2014, 04:49:07 AM »

awesome
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #418 on: August 01, 2014, 03:07:50 AM »

My 10 Ragars showed up in the mail today. Issue #'s 41, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 (End run for the 1st Ragar), 90. And issue N-90 has the debut of Kid Ragar! It was a good day! 2 out of 7 shipments completed now. :-)

RB
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:17:47 PM by mr_goldenage »
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #419 on: August 01, 2014, 04:19:58 PM »

I am working on a Ebay deal to get the first part of the Piccola Maschera series, as you've seen the second part already posted (well all but the last story) here in the Italian section. Wish me luck!

RB
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #420 on: August 01, 2014, 10:24:37 PM »

Shipments 3 & 4 out of 7 showed up in the mail today!

Shipment # 3 had:
Fulmine (1949) and 3 Fulmine Mascherato's (1947-48)
Shipment # 4 had:
Maschera Bianca N-19
Tanks L'Uomo D'Acciaio N-17 & 18
Mirko (origin story?)

4 down 5 to go !!!

Richard Enjoying Italy again!!!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #421 on: August 05, 2014, 10:19:15 PM »

Big day for enjoyment of your arrivals
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #422 on: August 06, 2014, 12:08:40 AM »

Yes indeed Narfstar, and today, shipments 5, 6, & 7 arrived as well, all Tanks! now only shipment 8 and 9 to wait for! O boy O boy, the best for last, we hope!

RB
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #423 on: August 14, 2014, 12:30:20 AM »

Paid for today " ALBO SCUGNIZZO PICCOLA MASCHERA N 6 1952 " and is hopefully the first half of the series. Let U all know when it arrives.....

RB
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #424 on: August 19, 2014, 07:18:43 AM »

New buy.....7 of them

Ragar N-42 (yay)
Mistero N-11-13-15
Tanks "Uomo D'Acciaio N-09-30-32
paid for.

Richard
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.