in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Weekly GA Related Swag

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

topic icon Author Topic: Weekly GA Related Swag  (Read 138140 times)

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Weekly GA Related Swag
« Reply #175 on: December 10, 2010, 06:35:03 AM »

The lite weeks continue!

DC's flagship FIRST WAVE #5 (of 6) hit the stands this week. If you read this thread regularly, then you know that I am really fond of this book. The Spirit, Doc Savage, Batman, The Avenger, Blackhawks, and Rima Jungle Girl  all come together in this most excellent series. The only complaint I have is that it has taken nearly a year to get to #5. Check it out!

INVADERS NOW! #4 (of 5) continues the Marvel retcon fun. Alex Ross & crew provide a functional tale that features some of our favorite Golden Age characters in battle against Axis villainy.   I suspect that #5 is going to be very trippy!  ;D

As a side note, although Knight and Squire #3 (of 6) is not Golden Age oriented, it simply is too good to not mention in passing. Where else are you going to see genetically reconstituted versions of King Richard III, Edward I, Charles I, Prince John, and William II mixed in with classic British humor and pop cultural mentions?  ;D ;D ;D Writer Paul Cornell urges readers to hum the theme song of The Goodies while reading this one...I think he's right!  :D

That's it for this week. Have a good and safe weekend everyone.

B.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 07:00:46 AM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #176 on: December 10, 2010, 02:27:22 PM »

I've been picking up First Wave but have not read any as I usually wait until a miniseries is done before starting it.  Often do the same with story arcs in regular series too.

Haven't picked up this latest Invaders series but had been thinking about getting in tpb form.  Hadn't even looked at Knight & Squire but you've got me curious so I'll check out some issues and may go for a trade with this one too.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #177 on: December 10, 2010, 04:15:27 PM »

I did pick up the Invaders, because of the very cool painted cover that reminded me alot of Frank Brunner Doctor Strange art.  Haven't read it yet.

I have also picked up a couple copies of First Wave, due to the inclusion of the Spirit (a fav of mine), but haven't deciphered the storyline yet. I will probably do as Josemas says, and wait til I have collected the series to try to do a read-through.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #178 on: December 16, 2010, 07:59:19 PM »

Dark Horse Comics rolls out Doctor Solar: Man of the Atom #4 which concludes the first Jim Shooter story arc, wrapping up a quite interesting offering. If you're following the series, this is worthwhile and recommended.

A new Green Hornet book is out also, but I totally forget what it is...someone will remind us I'm sure! BTW, a reminder to Dynamite that Green Hornet Golden Age Classics is running late, only making it to #3 thus far. Let's cut some mustard on this one guys, okay?

Have a good end of the week and weekend.

Enjoy your friends and families.

B.
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #179 on: December 16, 2010, 08:22:14 PM »

Is this new Green Hornet book another Nitz (Parallel Lives) prequel, or tie-in to the upcoming Green Hornet movie?
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #180 on: December 16, 2010, 09:25:19 PM »

Is this new Green Hornet book another Nitz (Parallel Lives) prequel, or tie-in to the upcoming Green Hornet movie?

I suspect it might be Green Hornet #11.

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #181 on: December 17, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »

Mighty Samson was a good read. So far Shooter has done a great job with the GK revivals.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2010, 10:14:31 PM »

Mighty Samson was a good read. So far Shooter has done a great job with the GK revivals.

It appears that my local retailer "forgot" to include my copy in my pull.  ::)
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #183 on: December 19, 2010, 12:33:38 PM »

If you haven't gotten Green Hornet Golden Age Remastered#4 yet your local retailer may have "forgotten" to pull it also as mine came in two or three weeks ago.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #184 on: December 19, 2010, 03:00:49 PM »

My favorite item picked up this week at my LCS was Showcase Presents: Our Army at War Volume 1.

It reprints the first 20 issues of that title-all precode issues from 1952-1954.  These are the earliest comics that DC has reprinted so far in its Showcase series which so far has mainly concentrated on reprinting comics from the later 1950s into the 1970s.

I have to admit that there are a lot of DC comics from this period that I have never seen so this collection was very welcome.  It'll be awhile before I get around to reading it but here are some of my initial comments on my first impressions of the art in these issues.

First off the reproduction overall looks great.  They must have had excellent stats on these available as so far I haven't been able to detect any stories where they had to do extensive restoration. 

On my first quick run run through the volume I was struck by how similar the art is on the surface to Julius Schwartz's sci-fi mags of this period.  I attribute this to the fact that both Kanigher and Schwartz were using many of the same inkers.  Joe Giella is the most prolific in the inks department but Bernie Sachs, Frank Giacoia, and Sy Barry are all there too.  All these inkers had that slick style (similar to what the Flash Gordon strip then under Dan Barry had) that Schwartz so loved.

Pleasant surprises are the more than half a dozen stories (plus one cover)  by Bernie Krigstein.  Another surprise was seeing a good twenty stories (plus a cover ) by Gene Colan.

Unfortunately, for me, because all but one of the Colan stories (and the cover) are inked by others and have that slick inking style on them, they don't work for me as well as the stories which he inked himself (such as his concurrent work at Atlas) which all have a rougher look that just works, for me, much better on war stories. 

Both Irv Novick and Jerry Grandenetti pop up pretty steadily throughout this volume (Novick is also the most prolific cover artist in it) and are the biggest link between these precode stories and the later post code Silver Age war stories.  The popular team of Ross Andru and Mike Esposito also pop up in several stories later in the book with art looking much as it would in their later stories.  Another artist who would become known for his war story work (not just at DC), Mort Drucker, has a few stories in this volume but I found him unrecognizable under the inks of Bob Lander (an artist that I am unfamiliar with).

The only pencillers in the book with whom I was unfamiliar were Eugene Hughes and Ray Schott.  Their work shows up mainly in the earlier issues.

Most noticeable by their absence are both Joe Kubert and Russ Heath, both of whom were busy elsewhere at this time, but who would come to represent to many Silver Age readers the look of DC's war comics.

The writing credits were also somewhat of a revelation.  I really expected to see more stories by Kanigher.  He's certainly there (in about 75% of the issues) but never has more than one story per issue. Other writers represented include Hal Kantor, Dave Wood, France Herron, David Kahn, John Reed, William Woolfolk, Art Wallace, Art Barnett, and Robert Bernstein.  In fact I would say the most prolific writer in this volume is David Kahn.  Later war story work horses like Bob Haney and Hank Chapman (probably still at Atlas) are not yet on board.   

All in all a package that I would recommend to anyone interested in war comics, 50s comics or just an interesting package of seldom seen comics from this period in time.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #185 on: December 19, 2010, 05:19:52 PM »

If you haven't gotten Green Hornet Golden Age Remastered#4 yet your local retailer may have "forgotten" to pull it also as mine came in two or three weeks ago.

Best

Joe

::) Massive fail at the shop this month!!!  ::)
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #186 on: December 19, 2010, 06:21:20 PM »

Just received the three pulp reprints that I had pre-ordered two months back... The Shadow #43 ("The Key" & "The Case of Congressman Coyd"), Doc Savage #42 ("The Men Who Smiled No More" & "The Pink Lady") from Sanctum and the June, 1937 issue of "Lone Ranger Magazine" from Adventure House.

The Doc Savage reprint has a nice Bama cover and a wonderful looking historical essay on the artist within... haven't read it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.  As I was thumbing through that Lone Ranger pulp I was (pleasantly) surprised by all the extra cartoon strips it had, another one I'm looking forward to reading when I get the chance.  :)
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #187 on: December 19, 2010, 09:42:06 PM »

Doc Savage and Avenger paperbacks from the seventies are often easily obtainable for a buck each.
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #188 on: December 20, 2010, 03:11:44 AM »

Doc Savage and Avenger paperbacks from the seventies are often easily obtainable for a buck each.

I prefer the pulp format narf... I find it somewhat easier to read and I like looking at the (larger) cover art... but thanks for mentioning it. 

Now, if we could only find the original pulps online for a buck each.  :)   
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2010, 05:27:07 AM »

I have two Shadows I have thought about putting on ebay
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #190 on: December 20, 2010, 07:19:51 AM »

But, not in my neck of the woods. I frequent all of the used book stores, thrift stores, and such. But, I've only found one Avenger book, and no Doc Savage in the last five years. Trust me, I've been looking, but no luck.

Although, I do have a stack of original copies of Argosy, but I didn't buy those, I found them when we were cleaning out the house, and prevented my wife's idiot of a brother-in-law from throwing them out.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #191 on: December 20, 2010, 12:16:51 PM »

I've got all the Doc Savage and The Avenger paperback reprints (plus the newly written novels in each series) which came out years back but I have been picking up The Shadow reprints which all have the original wonderful interior illustrations by Tom Lovell & Edd Cartier.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #192 on: December 20, 2010, 01:43:55 PM »

gotta go ebay ment. I got most of mine from used book stores but that was many years ago. Ebay has them all the time for a buck each
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #193 on: December 21, 2010, 10:13:28 AM »

I have noticed that eBay constantly has Doc Savage paperbacks, but I find it a bit annoying that a lot of times you will end spending more on the shipping than you are on the actual book. I should probably look for a lot of ten or more and bid on that, it would more than likely save me on the shipping.

If you're looking for an interesting read, I'd recommend checking out Cheap Thrills by Ron Goulart, it's a history of the pulps. Pretty enjoyable, fairly informative, and a rather quick read too.

I did pick up a few of the recent Shadow reprints, I have to agree with Joe, very nice editions. Luckily, I found them in a clearance bin at a Borders, and they cost me less than a dollar each.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #194 on: December 24, 2010, 02:42:05 AM »

Hello all!

Justice League of America #52, continues the multi-part storyline involving the Earth-Three villians and our heroes trapped in Washington, DC. Jade, Jesse Quick and crew combat the Omega Man and is that Dark Supergirl? As a side note, JLA is really weird these days. Enjoyable enough, but Mark Bagley's art is so what one would not expect to see in a JLA book. It does not detract though; James Robinson's wordscraft is keeping this book a much superior offering to Justice Society of America or the JSA: All-Stars.

The Mighty Crusader #6 (of 6) concludes DC's latest round at offering new interpretations of the the classic MLJ characters. The Webb and The Hangman remain my favorite of the entire Red Circle line. I wonder what DC will do with these characters after the next Crisis-Hour-Hyper-Verse-Countdown festival.  ;D

The Green Hornet: Golden Age Classics #5 (of 5) finished up this week. Also from Dynamite, Warlord of Mars #3 is out. I haven't read it yet, and most likely will not until New Years weekend.

Wishing everyone concerned a safe and Happy Christmas.  :D

B.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #195 on: December 31, 2010, 05:16:17 AM »

Hello all! I trust that most of you are enjoying the holidays and if not, that you are at least healthy and whole.

Dynamite brings us Warlord of Mars #3, which continues to be a solid offering. The creative team of Nelson, Antonio, Lucas, and Peteri are producing something that gets better with each issue thus far, so I encourage you to check it out.

In Captain America #613, we have a solid book from Marvel. So many things are good about this series, from Ed Brubaker's awesome scripts, to Butch Guice's inks, through the beautiful coloring from Bettie Breitweiser. Even the Nomad back up feature is entertaining. If Cap is your thing, you'll enjoy this series.

Justice Society of America #46...what can you say about a series that seems to be floating around with no clear purpose. Yes, it is entertaining enough, but I really have nothing much to say about this DC series anymore other than, if you are a JSA zombie, you know you gotta buy it.  ;D

That's it on my end this week. I wish you all a safe and fun New Year's Eve, and a 2011 that excels in all happiness.  :)

B.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #196 on: January 02, 2011, 01:40:58 PM »

The Green Hornet: Golden Age Classics #5 (of 5) finished up this week.
B.

I picked up my copy this week.  I don't think the series is finished yet though.  In the back of this issue is a plug for issue #6 and IIRC I've seen advance solicitations for #7 & 8 (which should about wrap up the reprinting of the Helnit issues).

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #197 on: January 02, 2011, 01:46:09 PM »

Favorite item picked up this week at the LCS was the new Alter Ego (#98).  This issue is heavy on GA DC having an interview with writer Alvin Schwartz, an article on Whitney Ellsworth and the growth of DC and Mort Weisinger's daughter writing about her father.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #198 on: January 02, 2011, 01:51:24 PM »

I read A&E all most cover to cover while relaxing over Christmas break. Very interesting stuff. It was good to get Mort's daughter's perspective.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #199 on: January 02, 2011, 06:48:43 PM »

The Green Hornet: Golden Age Classics #5 (of 5) finished up this week.
B.

I picked up my copy this week.  I don't think the series is finished yet though.  In the back of this issue is a plug for issue #6 and IIRC I've seen advance solicitations for #7 & 8 (which should about wrap up the reprinting of the Helnit issues).

Best

Joe

OY! I didn't know that...haven't picked up #5 yet as I was waiting for #4...I guess Dynamite decided to extend the run...which is good news for all GA fans!  ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.