in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Weekly GA Related Swag

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

topic icon Author Topic: Weekly GA Related Swag  (Read 138156 times)

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Weekly GA Related Swag
« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »

Unless other books came out that I simply missed, the only thing vaguely related to the Golden Age this week is Starman/Congorilla #1 from DC.

Why? Congorilla, an Authentic Golden Age character from Action Comics. Brief flashback cameo's of Alan Scott-Green Lantern, Captain Marvel, The Spectre; and Rex, The Wonder Dog!

Animal Man rounds out the guest stars in this book, but Rex clearly wins you over ... such a cute doggy ... and although he cannot speak English anymore, it is a riot to see him communicating with Animal Man. Rex, an Authentic Golden Age character, is best known for kicking the Alan Scott-Green Lantern out of his own book in the 40s.

That's all I got this week. Take care all.  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #201 on: January 06, 2011, 07:45:53 PM »

Rex, an Authentic Golden Age character, is best known for kicking the Alan Scott-Green Lantern out of his own book in the 40s.
B.

Not true.  It was Streak the Wonder Dog who replaced GL on the covers of 34, 36 and 38 (GL's villain but GL was on the cover of 35). GL appeared in all of those comics though.  Streak then moved to Sensation Comics after GL ceased publication.

Rex was a completely different animal :-) in a stand alone comic of the 50s
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #202 on: January 06, 2011, 07:53:28 PM »

Rex, an Authentic Golden Age character, is best known for kicking the Alan Scott-Green Lantern out of his own book in the 40s.
B.

Not true.  It was Streak the Wonder Dog who replaced GL on the covers of 34, 36 and 38 (GL's villain but GL was on the cover of 35). GL appeared in all of those comics though.  Streak then moved to Sensation Comics after GL ceased publication.

But...but...I thought Streak became Rex...dang.  ;D Ah well...maybe Streak was the inspiration for Rex?

::hangs head in shame::   :-\
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #203 on: January 07, 2011, 03:16:39 PM »

B.

But...but...I thought Streak became Rex...dang.  ;D Ah well...maybe Streak was the inspiration for Rex?

::hangs head in shame::   :-\

It was probably popular German Shepard types in the movies such as Strongheart and Rin Tin Tin who were inspirations for both of these comic book dogs.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #204 on: January 08, 2011, 09:39:11 AM »

After what seems like ages, and thanks to all that foul weather we had here, I eventully got to a comic shop yesterday.
And I found The Northern Guard from Moonstone.  Very interesting.  Intriguing enough to make me want #2. As was mentioned earlier, a number of old Canadian heroes get brought up to date and although I'm not always a fan of that practice, this doesn't seem too bad.  Heroes featured, or cameoed, incl. Johnny Canuck, Freelance, Commander Steele, Purple Rider, Gray Wing, Ghost Woman, Doctor Destine (who was a back up in either Freelance or Commander Steele) Trick Merlin ( wearing a Captain Hobby logo) and more. 
Lots to identify here and the idea interested me.
Also bought # 5 & 6 of Marvelman Family's Finest, Green Hornet remastered #4 (ish. 5 was not on the shelves and I forgot to ask if it had been in or not). Birds of Prey #6 & 7. BoP 6 seemed to me to be a bit of a mess.  All that honour stuff - don't like that. I think I got a bit confused. Still, it was fun seeing The Huntress trying to squeeze into her costume.
Various Green Hornets that I had missed.  I know I said I was giving up on G.H. but it's proving difficult.  Also, I meant to say that Jonathan Lau was, I think, the Hong Kong artist who drew many kung fu comics there, which friends and I used to buy in Glasgow's Chinatown shops.  Not that we could understand a word of them but the art looked so fast and exciting.  Could be wrong, so if anyone can shed any light , please do.
Zatanna 7 & 8 neither of which I have read
And finally - Ta-da - Victorian Undead - Holmes v. Dracula from Wild storm.  Saving these for last.  The last series was great entertainment as was the special.  Pick them up - you could be in for a treat.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #205 on: January 08, 2011, 10:39:56 PM »

Both of my local comic shops seems to be really laying down on the job- haven't been able to find very much I've been looking for! I did pick up my usual Disney's, Green Hornet #5 and also a copy of Dark Horse Mighty Samson #1 (Shooter-Olliffe). Samson is following the format of other recently updated heroes by including a Silver-Age reprint as a backup feature. Still haven't been able to find DC's Mlle Marie one-shot, Turok 2, Warlord of Mars 3 or the last Marvelman, let alone any of the more recent issues you guys have mentioned. The Northern Guard and Starman-Congorilla both sound like something I'd like to pick up. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #206 on: January 09, 2011, 03:21:57 AM »

I finally got an issue of Femforce after being shorted the previous two. My LCS is backordering but I may have to pay more and get them from AC. Green Hornet 12, Year One 7 and Kato 6
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2011, 05:27:28 PM »

I'm a bit late with some of this  but, here goes.  Dynamite's Last Phantom #3.  I jumped on the train this morning to pick up some comics from my pal in Edinburgh and read this one on the way home.  As with the first 2 issues, the art seems very sub par and I can't get enthusiastic about this version of The Phantom.  It's very violent and The Phantom has almost always tried not to kill.  Not here.  It's The Phantom, so I can't just drop the title but it's disappointing.  You get the feeling that Dynamite don't know a lot about the character.
All the comics I bought today were Phantom titles incl. the excellent Hermes Archives vol.2.  It's a lovely volume - you just want to stroke it.  Also Generations Special which came out a while ago.  This is about the best in the series and the first story, by Mike bullock, is quite touching and I really enjoyed it.  Looking forward to reading the rest.
Worth a mention is the t/pb Guardian of the Eastern Dark, which reprints the 12 ish. Phantom Ghost Who Walks.  Well worth getting your hands on this.  it's a really good Phantom story
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2011, 06:36:38 PM »

I read the first issue of Dynamite's Phantom and that was it. I was a big fan of the Phantom Generations style and concept. Loved getting the history in that form.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2011, 04:25:21 AM »

Green Hornet Golden Age Remastered #6 hit the stands today.

Nothing else though...at least, nothing I saw.

Weird.

B.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #210 on: January 20, 2011, 07:02:12 PM »

Make sure you get your copy of Comic Shop News #1231! This issue's main feature is on the Justice Society of America, and offers an interview with current JSA scribe, Marc Guggenheim. Guggenheim hints at a few of his plans during his tenure on the title, which most likely appears to be a team up of sorts within the main JSA title and its horrid offshoot, JSA: All-Stars. I have a few other thoughts on this also, but I will wait and see if anyone else wishes to chime in.

As for comics this week, Justice League of America #53 hit the stands, concluding the the Omega Man/Earth-3 Villains storyline, with the mandatory cameos of various heroes.

That's all I have this week. Have a great day!  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2011, 10:15:58 AM »

This doesn't qualify as G.A. and it isn't a comic, but here goes anyway. This week I bought Jet Scott vols.1 & 2,  drawn by Jerry Robinson and published by Dark Horse.  For those who don't know, this was a newspaper strip in the Herald Tribune in the 1950's. They are lovely volumes, hardback, landscape, well reproduced, with the colour Sundays.  And, just wonderful to look at and read.
My pal, the pulp collector put me on to this and I'm so glad he did.  Stories by Sheldon Stark.

I've mentioned this before and I'd like to return to it - I wish there was a section for comics etc. which aren't Ebay or weekly swag.  I've picked up some interesting titles recently (interesting to me, that is), there's a comic mart in Glasgow next month, a friend has been coming up with some old stuff that he's selling and a local back issue dealer has just bought in some lovely and obscure old comics. Even though I'm runing out of cash, I'll manage to obtain something. 
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2011, 11:58:17 AM »

We do have a newspaper section here as long as they are PD. You can start any new topic that you want to also. All friendly discussions are welcome
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #213 on: January 27, 2011, 01:26:20 AM »

A few items this week...

Green Hornet Golden Age Remastered #7 (of 8 ) arrived. Only one issue left and I've decided to wait until it is out until I set down and read all eight issues. I'm happy with Dynamite on this series.

DC released Justice Society of America #47, the fourth part of the 'Supertown' storyline from Marc Guggenheim. I want to put everyone on notice that I have absolutely no idea what is going on with this current storyline. Scott Kolins' artwork is nice and Mike Atiyeh's coloring-work is very complimentary, but I really have no idea what Guggenheim is attempting to accomplish at this point. I figure I'll know by the end of the storyline.  ;D

Captain America #614 ... remains a simple joy these days. Ed Brubaker is such a skilled scribe that I just cannot complain about anything in this current 'The Trail of Captain America' storyline. Even the Nomad back up has been quite good. This series is a winner at the moment, and a welcomed respite; thanks Marvel.

That's it for this week. Looking forward to hearing about what the rest of you bought, read, and thought.

B.  :)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #214 on: January 27, 2011, 03:45:45 AM »

You make me want to give Cap a try although I currently get zero marvels
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #215 on: January 27, 2011, 04:16:50 AM »

You make me want to give Cap a try although I currently get zero marvels

My pull list is positioning for a major shake up. I am letting all of the mini's I get run out for starters.

My core list currently is:

DC
Superboy
Batman & Robin
JSA
JLA
Azrael (canceled the next issue or two...sad, one of DC's best!)
*For some reason I really like Superboy. He's not complicated like Superman. One Superboy book is all you need. I stopped reading Superman long ago because I had no desire to continue getting four Supes books plus extras monthly. I dropped all of the Batman books other than the above (although I am reading the core Batman book for a few more issues to finish the current storyline) because there are simply too many of them.

Marvel
Captain America
Thor
*I generally avoid the zillion spin-offs of Cap and Thor books that Marvel is pushing, unless there is a GA tie in...a good one that is.

Dark Horse
Doctor Solar
Magnus
Turok
*I seriously doubt these books will survive much longer. Their sales are very low and it makes no sense for Dark Horse to continue paying Jim Shooter big bucks to direct these. I know I'll stick with Doctor Solar and Turok, but might drop Magnus soon.

Dynamite
Warlord of Mars
*I informed my retailer that under no conditions do I want the zillion spin offs that Dynamite is planning for this one. I might stop with #5 or #6, which ever finishes up this first story arc.

Moonstone
Airfighters/Airboy
*I decided to just stick with this...I called off picking up the pulp related books and the Canadian heroes offering. Honestly, I think my retailer forgot to even order the few that were published. I love the Airboy book so hopefully that continues.

BOOM
Incorruptible
Irredeemable
*I love love love these!

Minis
Invaders Now!
Knight and Squire
Green Hornet GA Remastered
DC Firstwave
*These are all one or two issues out from being over, so I am keeping a tight fist on getting induced into anything else...other than the next sound GA related offering from Marvel.

Hmmm...comments? What are your pull strategies.  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #216 on: January 28, 2011, 03:40:54 PM »

I'm only buying Zatanna; B o P; Phantom; G.H.remastered; G.H. year 1; Victorian Undead  and will perhaps try a few more Northern Guard.  Marvelman has finished and most of the superhero stuff just doesn't appeal.
I occasionally take a punt on a title when I'm in a comic shop but with the price as it is, I'd rather save my money for back issues and collections.
Does anyone know how well, or badly, the D.E. Phantom is doing in the USA and Canada?  Because here and in Australia it's failing rapidly, and that from a not too great start.  Just curious as there is a lot of discussion of this topic on:- www.chroniclechamber.com
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #217 on: January 28, 2011, 04:11:56 PM »

Here's what I'm currently getting (assuming I haven't forgotten a title or two).

DC

JLA-the latest arc was okay but I'm hoping Robinson can work his magic and get even better.  I'm also hoping that DC doesn't do another "BIG EVENT" that he's forced to work around and which will tie his hands.

JLA:Generation Lost-I've actually been looking forward to each issue of this series so they must be doing something right.

JSA-waiting to see how the first arc under this new writer goes before commenting.  Title was pretty weak when he took it over.

JSA All-Stars-The last issue I read (featuring Maxine Hunkel) wasn't too bad but it may
have just looked good compared to the dreck leading up to it. 

Zatanna-am pretty much enjoying this light-toned series. 

Power Girl-this series slipped noticeably after Amanda Connor's departure.  Still taking a wait and see attitude. 

Doom Patrol-so-so.  I'm not a big fan of Giffen's take on the characters so far.  Sometimes it seems like he wants to go Vertigo again with them (an approach I read but never really cared for) but he has so far never gone quite that far with the series. 

Legion of Super-Heroes and Adventure Comics-the Legion is a long time favorite of the Lil Missus but there was a three decade period where I never read it.  Started reading it again when Shooter was writing it a few years back and am kinda getting into Paul Levitz's current run on the series.

Brave and the Bold-have generally liked this reboot but it is on hiatus now for some reason connected to the writer's schedule.

Jonah Hex-I only pick this one up when it has an artist I like is doing the art (Jordi Bernet, Eduardo Risso).  I do like the fact that it is almost always a done-in-one story.  So few of those these days.

Doc Savage-have enjoyed the character since I was a kid but am having a hard time getting into this reboot.

The Spirit-I've enjoyed this reboot considerably more than DC's previous take on the character.

AC Comics

Crypt of Horror-vintage pre-code horror

Men of Mystery
-golden age superhero reprints.

Age of Bronze-I actually pick this one up for the Lil Missus but it has very nice art by Eric Shanower and I figure I'll get around to reading it someday.

Dark Horse

Hellboy and B.P.R.D.-I do enjoy both of these Mike Mignola productions and will stick with them as long as they don't do the price jump to $3.99.

Little Lulu and Tubby-very much enjoying these small trades reprinting John Stanley's work.

Pure Imagination

I pick up just about every reprint volume Greg puts out.  I believe a vintage Joe Kubert volume is due next and then one on Reed Crandall.

Minis

DCU:Legacies-some consistently good art on the series but it sometimes gives me a headache trying to keep straight another reboot of the whole DC Universe.

First Wave-waiting until they finish before reading it.

Green Hornet:Remastered-the art in the early issues is no great shakes but it seems to be improving with issue #6.

The Twelve-is Marvel ever going to finish this? 

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2011, 03:23:37 AM »

I get Femforce and again ask the others give it a try to keep Diamond from killing it.
GH, GH Year One, Kato and Kato Origins
DC Legacies I have enjoyed the recap of DC history
Just added Mass Effect a scifi mini
Doc Macabre is a Steve Niles mini
I get Magnus, Doc Solar and Mighty Samson
Phoenix the new Seabold reboot
Lady Robotika if the second issue and beyond ever comes out
I will get the next Executive Assistant Iris mini when it comes out
I got the latest Archie mini Back to the Comic Shop featuring a bunch of MLJ characters
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #219 on: February 06, 2011, 02:42:57 PM »

I made it to my local comic shop yesterday and bought Birds of Prey 8; Zatanna 9; Last Phantom 4 (which isn't very good despite using classic Phantom tricks on the bad guys - the art just doesn't hack it and it gets in the way); and the TPB of Victorian Undead Sherlock holmes vs Zombies (which compared to the Phantom comic is great entertainment)
I've also been buying some old British pocket libraries and story papers incl. June and Schoolfriend Library with stories of the Grey Ghosts and Girl's Crystal with the original text stories of the Grey Ghosts and June Gaynor, Girl Detective. A wallow in nostalgia.
I'm adding to this because, fortified by a big slice of cherry pie, a mug of coffee and a read at a Girls Crystal, I remembered that I wanted to say that my reawakened interest in old British comics and storypapers is partly due to narfstar and his enquiry re. The Tiger.  Thanks, although I am a bit poorer for it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:33:16 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #220 on: February 07, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »

I picked up the new Zatanna, Hellboy and Legion Annual this week but my favorite snags this week at the LCS were three Silver Age goodies-all for $5.00 or less!

My Greatest Adventure #42-DC-(1960)-Lee Elias, Ruben Moreira and Murphy Anderson + Henry Boltinoff humor and Educational half page fillers and a Public Service page by Bernard Baily.

World's Finest #107-DC-(1960)-(coverless but what the heck it only cost a buck)-Dick Sprang (my favorite Batman artist of the 1950s), Jim Mooney, Lee Elias + another Boltinoff humor page and a public Service page (with Superboy) by Curt Swan.

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (Four Color) #944-Dell-(1958)-33 pages of John Buscema having a great time doing sword and sorcery (years before he ever drew Conan).

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #221 on: February 09, 2011, 12:22:44 PM »

Dick Sprang and Charles Paris on W.F. how wonderful.  That's a big part of why I love that period.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »

This weeks goodies included Adventure Comics, Doc Savage, Justice League: Generation Lost, DCU Legacies, Secret Six (not one I normally get but it is the first part of a crossover with Doom Patrol storyline which continues into the next DP), Green Hornet Remastered (the last issue which I believe reprints the last of the Helnit material) and AC Comics new volume of Crypt of Horror (which is chock full of precode horror stories.

Best

Joe   
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2011, 04:48:25 AM »

Its basically a Dynamite Entertainment week for me!   ;D

First up is the Green Hornet Golden Age Remastered #8 (of 8 ) wrapping up the Helnit stories (as josemas pointed out in a previous post). I plan to gather the issues and read then over the course of a day. Dynamite rushed these issues out after #5 and well, that was smart given the sale figures. The market for this type of material is small (sadly). GAC-UK, DCM, and others are trying to change that and hopefully our type of niche market will grow.

Next us is Warlord of Mars #4. I admit that I really like this book so far. I was considering dropping it, but the Arvid Nelson storycraft is easily enticing. They do need to put more clothing on Dejah Thoris btw. If you haven't checked this book out, consider giving it a shot.

Buck Rogers returns in Buck Rogers Annual #1! A nice touching story of Buck's past before coming to the future. The only complaint I have about this book is the $4.99 price tag. The regular series didn't cost that much, and there certainly is not an extra abundance of story pages in this that would warrant the extra cost. Other than that, if you have #0 - #12 of this series, you may as well purchase the annual, because it is a decent yarn.

Finally, INVADERS NOW! #5 (of 5), Dynamite's joint production with Marvel, finishes up an entertaining story featuring Rogers-Cap, Bucky-Cap, Human Torch & Toro, Sub-Mariner, Union Jack, Spitfire, and the original Vision. The cover on this one is beautiful. Alex Ross is obviously an art-demigod. I'm sure all 5 issues are still available (I've seen the sales figures) so hunt them down or wait for the trade, either way, an enjoyable time. I eagerly await Marvel's next Golden Age oriented send up.

That's it for me this week. Everyone stay safe and reading.

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2011, 12:15:33 PM »

I just added Warlord to my pull list. I was not sure about it but by issue 4 I figured I liked it enough to keep getting it. The lack of clothing on DT was going a little to far. I know they are going for the young male audience but let's be reasonable.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.