in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #245 - Torchy #1

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #245 - Torchy #1  (Read 1359 times)

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Reading Group #245 - Torchy #1
« on: May 17, 2021, 07:13:04 AM »

Robb asked me to pick this fortnight's reading selection. I considered a few different possibilities, including some oddballs, but figured that my first (only?) choice should be something a little more mainstream.

Considering previous choices I didn't think of too many that fell under the heading... cheescake, so I decided on Torchy #1 from Quality comics https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=19765

Hope you enjoy it.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #245 - Torchy #1
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 11:29:20 AM »

Robb asked me to pick this fortnight's reading selection. I considered a few different possibilities, including some oddballs, but figured that my first (only?) choice should be something a little more mainstream.

Considering previous choices I didn't think of too many that fell under the heading... cheescake, so I decided on Torchy #1 from Quality comics https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=19765

Hope you enjoy it.

No, it won't be your only choice.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 02:09:43 AM »

When I see a comic like this, one that wouldn't necessarily capture my interest casually, I look for other things I can learn from or observe in it. As I read this comic, I asked myself what demographic it was aimed at. My guess would be that teenage boys of the GA era would enjoy it. The silly robot, the attractive woman flashing her legs every other panel, the cheesy but funny characters, etc. make me believe it would be popular with younger readers. I like the bright colors and exaggerated movements of the characters although this type of story and style works better in short bursts, rather than an extended story in my opinion.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 07:42:14 AM »

does anybody else see a slight resemblance to Bob Hope in the Sam Brown character? I could almost hear them typing up the cease and desist paperwork. I''ll bet this was plenty risque for the time, so I'm grateful they actually put some effort into the plots and jokes. Kept my interest to the end, but I agree with gregjh, it probably was more effective with installments of just a story or two.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 05:47:03 PM »

This book series was started in 1949, when Superhero sales were flagging, and many of those series that hopped aboard that juggernaut as a copycat had fizzled out and were cancelled, and new trends, like teen comedy were in fashion.  Farcical, zany comedy was one aspect of this that was exploited by a few publishers.  The stories in this book remind me of some of the late 1949s U.S. films in that same genre.

The lead Torchy story had an interesting combination of the young late teenaged trio needing money, and the beloved, teen-friendly, local neighborhood, eccentric, genius inventor (straight out of The Dead-End Kids/Bowry Boys), in a combination with elements from Martin & Lewis, The Marx Brothers, Andy Hardy, and The Three Stooges. 

It's a story of a type that I, myself might have written for Donald Duck, who, as is often the case, had promised to take his used to being pampered with luxury, demanding girlfriend Daisy out to a super-fancy restaurant, but hasn't come up with the money for that, and is desperate to find enough, quickly, to avoid her wrath.  So he goes to his last chance, the local wacky and eccentric inventor, Gyro Gearloose, hoping he can invent something so amazingly useful that rich people would pay scads of money to possess it.

It's a very fertile premise for an interesting and satisfying story.  But, for my taste, it was too cliched and derivative.  Everything is almost totally expected.  The characters are extremely one-dimensional, and act only in a single way in EVERY situation.  There are no clever situations developed, no plot twists, and no unexpected happenings.  A series full of similar stories, with the characters ALWAYS acting this same way would get old fast.

I absolutely HATE hearing the wisecracking Tess make snide remarks to what anyone says, just about any time anyone says anything.  Ed being dull-witted, and downright stupid at every turn is too much, as well.  In every Torchy story, the person in authority who must be coerced by The Three Teens falls for Torchy's charm without any hesitation, so easily and predictably, that she is only a farcical symbolic character, with whom no one could empathise.  So, she can't be an heroic or sympathetic lead character whose adventures can be followed with any interest.

If I had been given the opportunity to write this series, I'd have made Torchy a sympathetic character, who can't help that she is beautiful physically, and has to learn to deal with both the good and the bad that comes from the advantages and burdens of that situation.  We would slowly see her learn about people, and become more and more able to wend her way through the ups and downs of life, as we all do.  I certainly wouldn't make her successful at every turn.  What makes good protagonists is that we see all sides of them, and can identify with them from what they mirror in our own lives.  It's difficult to follow the exploits of a cliche.

I'd have tried to also develop Tess into a more rounded character, showing her behaving differently in different situations based on different motivations, revealing why she and Torchy hang out together, and what they want from their relationship as friends.  I'd have given Ed some positive traits, showing that he's not an idiot, but his sensibility is often blocked by his desires taking over (as is one of Donald's - and for that matter, almost all young men's, largest problems).  I'd also have The Three Teens' marks (victims) sometimes play hard to get, rather than handing them the money or privileges, or keys to the city, that they are after, immediately, putting up no fight, and absolutely no effort needed on the formers' part.  That makes the rich and/or influential people too ridiculous to believe, and doesn't demonstrate that Torchy is good at her craft (or that Tess is good at using Torchy's natural gifts to her or their advantage).

All in all, this is a series with no protagonist - no character with whom to identify, and whose exploits one would want to follow.  This determination cannot be made after reading only the first story.  But the fact that none of those aspects changed in ANY of the other Torchy stories in this book, makes me not want to bother reading the second issue, or indeed, any other Torchy book.  I predict that they all will have similar stories with no character development and total predictability.

As for The one non-Torchy story - Sam Brown, The Super Salesman, I had no idea that Sam Brown was the lead character.  He was a shallow, cliched side character, in a story with no protagonist.   It is a tragedy about a greedy, manipulative, amoral, non-sympathetic lost soul, who gets his just desserts.  It's very like one of Aesop's Fables, a moral tale, in a modern setting.  It's a decent story, but totally predictable.

I have to admit that there was a nice little twist at the end of the third Torchy story, where Ed can't go on the holiday vacation trip with Torchy and Tess, because he is needed by his rich boss for doing his chauffeuring job.  That, of course, is a very common, and totally acceptable twist ending in stories of this type.  However, most of my editors would have wanted me to tie such a twist more closely to the specifics of this particular story (e.g. that the thread that ties the twist bad ending for Ed as punishment for his taking the job for an ulterior motive, be tied to a more specifically esoteric or highly coincidental situation, which is also tied to a general foible of Ed's, which is innocently introduced to the reader (set up) early in the story.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 06:04:39 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 02:14:36 AM »

I have to agree Torchy was pretty lame
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 05:36:49 AM »

The first thing that struck me reading Torchy #1 was that what I had thought of as the "Bill Ward style" (fetishistic women with pointy breasts and stockinged legs, obsessive renderings of textures and details of underwear) seems to have derived from Gill Fox's work. Ward's artwork in the earlier Doll Man Quarterly Torchy stories shows the familiar tendencies but his overall approach is more mainstream. Ward seems to have adapted the more extreme bits from Fox.

Be that as it may, the comic wasn't particularly entertaining but it gave me lots to think about. Robb makes a good point that the humor reflects what was popular in movies at the time. I wonder about the makeup of Torchy's readership. Her adventures began during the war when GI's were a large chunk of the comic-buying public. They were a huge market for pinup art and risque humor. Torchy the standalone comic seems aimed at them. I speculate however that by 1949 adult comics readership was declining. It's likely that more hot-pants teenage boys ogled Torchy than grown men. I can imagine that parents who otherwise allowed comics into the house might have drawn the line when a book's cover brazenly announced it was all about sex.

It's fascinating how much Torchy resembles the humor in the early Playboy. For years Playboy cartoons revolved around buxom, somewhat naive young women lusted after and pawed by (mostly older) upper-class men. Unlike Torchy, Playboy cartoon women tended to play along, usually in exchange for money or gifts. Setting aside its satirical content, Little Annie Fanny is closer to Torchy than those cartoon women. Both are semi-innocent young women oozing sex from every pore. The parts of their bodies that aren't falling out of their clothes are outlined by clingy fabric. Their mere presence sends every man they meet into paroxysms of lust. Depending upon the mechanics of the story, either the women don't notice it or they notice it but don't understand why the guys get so loony. They are sufficiently self-aware to know what the men are after and always fight them off. Annie had a boyfriend; it's hard to imagine Torchy having one. Though Annie presumably slept with her significant other, sex played a small part in their "onscreen" relationship. Essentially Annie, like Torchy, was supremely sexual but also supremely unattainable.

Torchy's supporting characters are standard 30s-40s stock sidekicks, the likeable goofball and the wisecracking babe. They both overdo it. By the way, I disagree with Robb that the trio are older teenagers. They seem more like young twenty-somethings who didn't go to college and haven't decided what to do with their lives. Since Torchy doesn't believe in sugar daddies and Tess foolishly relies on Ed to generate income, it's not clear where they get money to pay the rent. I wouldn't be surprised if their parents supported them. Now that would be a story...we meet Torchy's folks.

Like Robb says, the characters have one-note personalities that never change. This is common in series characters, though. It'll seem funny after comparing Torchy to Little Annie Fanny, but take away the sex and what you have left would work as an Archie story. None of the classic Archie characters had much depth. Each had his or her shtick which they used in every story. I think Archie's advantage was a larger cast including "bad" characters who were played off against the "good" ones. Archie's difficulty in deciding upon which side of the fence to sit provided more plot opportunities than did Torchy's cast of three paper-deep good guys.

Now about Sam "Bob Who?" Browne.  The Hope connection is obvious despite Sam's ridiculous Hercule Poirot mustache. If you think of this as a Bob Hope short and read the dialogue with Bob's voice in mind you see that Sam is the standard Bob Hope character that was so popular back then: a wisecracking, self-serving, braggadocious coward always on the lookout for the next hustle--and the next babe. Personally I enjoyed this character in films like My Favorite Brunette. The routine certainly doesn't work in this six-page comic story. It doesn't help that the plot is a mess powered by outrageous coincidences and the characters' illogical assumptions. I think Morgus may be right about that cease-and-desist letter. Sam doesn't seem to have reappeared in subsequent issues.

ip icon Logged

lyons

message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 11:03:59 AM »

Written and drawn by Bill Ward, this blonde bombshell began her chic, leg show as a morale booster for military publications.  Well written and quality artwork.  A good read.  Thanks SuperScrounge.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 04:27:46 AM »

The hardest part of picking the selection is this tradition of the picker posting his thoughts last. My natural tendency is to read the selection as soon as possible.

Torchy #1

Torchy first story - Silly, but funny. The art & cheesecake clearly aimed at the 18-dead male demographic.  ;D

Sam Brown - I wonder if this was a rejected story for DC's Bob Hope comic? Okay.

Torchy second story - A little more over the top than the first story, but still funny.

Just Call Me Sugah - Okay, but nothing special.

Torchy third story - Not quite as funny as the first two, but still enjoyable.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 08:56:59 AM »

From Wikipedia,

After Bill Ward's drafting into the World War II military, the artist created the tall, blond, busty ingenue Torchy Todd for the base newspaper of Brooklyn's Fort Hamilton, where Ward was deployed. The comic strip in which she featured soon became syndicated to other Army newspapers worldwide.[3]

Torchy made her comic-book debut as main character of a backup feature of Quality Comics' Doll Man #8 (Spring 1946). Her feature was later published in all but two issues through #30 (September 1950), resuming in #35 (August 1951) through #47 (October 1953), as well as in Modern Comics #53?102 (Sept. 1946 ? Oct. 1950). A solo series, Torchy, had six issues (Nov. 1949 ? Sept. 1950), some with art by Gill Fox.    

So Gill Fox is here imitating Bill Ward. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and he does it very well.
It's not easy to successfully imitate another's style, and once you see Bill Ward's work you never forget it - visually, I mean.
His surfaces,particularly dresses and stockings, positively gleam like metal.
And yes, the Sam Brown story is likely a rejected or unused Bob Hope story.
For those who don't know, A 'Sam Browne' is a standard military belt.
I don't think, in a comic created in 1949 [ What a great year!] that the name was accidental.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Browne_belt
The Torchy story triggered my memory of this Cole Porter song, so here are the lyrics in full!

"Anything Goes"

In olden days a glimpse of stocking
Was looked on as something shocking
Now heaven knows, anything goes

Good authors too who once knew better words
Now only use four letter words writing prose, anything goes

The world has gone mad today and good's bad today
And black's white today and day's night today
When most guys today that women prize today
Are just silly gigolos

So though I'm not a great romancer
I know that you're bound to answer
When I propose, anything goes

In olden days a glimpse of stocking
Was looked on as something shocking
Now heaven knows, anything goes

Repeat. 
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 03:54:21 PM »

Marvellous Cole Porter song - and here it is in my favourite rendition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4bNusi9yAA

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.