in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group # 248 TopNotch Comios 15 + Hangman comics 2

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group # 248 TopNotch Comios 15 + Hangman comics 2  (Read 2018 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP

This fortnight the books have been chosen by Frabig.
They are two MLJ books.

TopNotch Comios 15   

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=22275

Post modified, Link fixed!

Shield/Wizard Comics #1

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=22139

I think its been a while since we have had any talk about MLJ and their legacy, and with the rumoured new version of SHIELD by Rob Liefield this may be an opportune time.

FraBig will tell you I'm sure why he selected these two books.
Happy Reading!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 11:20:08 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Reading Group # 248 TopNotch Comios 15 + Hangman comics 2
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 11:04:41 AM »

The link for Shield/Wizard #1 should be:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=22139

And I look forward to reading FraBig's comments.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 01:17:41 PM »

Hi everyone! I'm FraBig and I chose these 2 iconic MLJ issues because I enjoyed them both a lot when I read them.

Top-Notch Comics #15 includes the only Bob Phantom story with art by the legendary Mort Meskin, which is one of my favourite Golden Age artists and he always manages to give a great dynamism to his characters.
This story is also important in the history of Bob Phantom because it features the debut of his secretary and lover, Jinx Friday.

Shield/Wizard Comics #1 is a very important issue for the Shield because it's the first time they narrated his origin story. The art is by Irv Novick, which is amazing as always. It also features the origins of the Wizard, another iconic MLJ hero.

I hope you'll enjoy these two iconic MLJ issues!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 01:21:15 PM by FraBig »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 03:46:37 AM »

Top-Notch Comics #15

The Black Hood - Rather odd to see an old man and a girl in a car go off the bridge, but the Black Hood only saves the old man. I think the artist misread opening line and figured the car went off the bridge instead of just the old man. A bit grim with the whip decapitations. Otherwise readable, but not that good.

The Wizard - Okay.

Fran Frazer - Uhhhhhhhh... how old was the writer of this story? Seems like he was making stuff up and no editor was correcting his assumptions.

Keith Kornell - Man, Hutch is stupid. Stories like this make it easy to understand why MLJ stopped doing non-comedy comics.

Firefly - So Atira was innocent? Yeahhhhhhh... right. Firefly is just a generic superhero whose name seems to have no reason for being used. You'd think the ability, or a gadget, to generate light that he would use would seem to be a natural outgrowth of the name, but I would guess the story was written so a generic hero name could just be filled in for an easy sale.

The St. Louis Kid - Readable, although hardly original.

Wings Johnson - Okay.

Bob Phantom - While the story has some problems, I got a tongue-in-cheek feel from it, which made it a bit more enjoyable than the other stories.

Jackpot Comics promo - Kind of a shame the kid in this promo didn't have red hair and freckles. ;-)

Kardak - Mandrake the Magician with the serial numbers filed off. ;-)

Shield-Wizard Comics #1

The Shield - The origin story wasn't bad. Ju Ju Watson in the second story can be a little annoying. The third story shows a complete lack of research about how law enforcement works.

The Vampire Murders - As I was reading this I was wondering if it would turn out to be a ripoff of the Sherlock Holmes story, The Sussex Vampire, but no, the writer actually committed to the premise. Not bad.

The Wizard - Sooooo this is the first Wizard also named Blane Whitney? Yeah, that won't be confusing at all. Not a big fan of forcing fictional characters into important parts of historical events. It undercuts the real deeds of real people.

While it was interesting to read these old comics, I just wasn't as big a fan of them as FraBig is.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 11:23:55 AM »

Top-Notch Comics #15

Firefly - So Atira was innocent? Yeahhhhhhh... right. Firefly is just a generic superhero whose name seems to have no reason for being used. You'd think the ability, or a gadget, to generate light that he would use would seem to be a natural outgrowth of the name, but I would guess the story was written so a generic hero name could just be filled in for an easy sale.

Maybe he has the ability of a firefly but you can't tell because he has his pants on.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 01:20:23 PM »

Actually, the Firefly (or at least this is what was stated in his first appearance) has the proportional strength of an insect, he gained it by teaching himself muscular coordination (yeah, pretty weird).

But it's very common for Golden Age superheroes to be very inconsistent when it comes to their powers.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 12:32:39 AM »

Actually, the Firefly (or at least this is what was stated in his first appearance) has the proportional strength of an insect, he gained it by teaching himself muscular coordination (yeah, pretty weird).

But it's very common for Golden Age superheroes to be very inconsistent when it comes to their powers.

Several years ago a TV program comparing the strengths of various humanoid monsters in fiction revealed something interesting.
There are three types of muscle fibers, the "black fiber" acts to limit your movements if you are close to tearing the muscles or tendons. They found that when the black fiber is removed from the equation a person can bring to bear three times their normal strength.
This is how miraculous feats of strength occur in dire necessity, like a small woman lifting a car to free her child and the feats of heroes and berserkers of history.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 07:49:12 AM »

Top-Notch Comics #15

The Black Hood - Rather odd to see an old man and a girl in a car go off the bridge, but the Black Hood only saves the old man. I think the artist misread opening line and figured the car went off the bridge instead of just the old man. A bit grim with the whip decapitations. Otherwise readable, but not that good.

The car was actually still hanging over the edge of the bridge hung up on the remains of the guardrail. The old man had been a pedestrian stuck by the car driven by the girl. The girl was in no immediate danger but the old man was severely inured and would have certainly drowned very quickly. He died from his injuries before medical help arrived.
The whip decapitation was familiar enough.
Just a couple of weeks ago I was reminded of an incident from my youth. A young punk pushed my little brother off his bicycle and tried to ride off with it. I was coiling a rope I'd been using to drag away fallen tree limbs when the punk rode past me. Instinctively I lashed out with the rope end curling about three loops around his head at eye level and yanked him off the bike.
Lucky for him I didn't have my whip handy. I'd made a short version of the Russian style Knout, a whip with a light chain down the center run through a long coil spring with a wire cable for the lash. I had cut tree limbs 1 1/2 inches across with it clean as a sword stroke.
The full sized Knout was used in executions of rebellious serfs. It could sever the spine with a single stroke though the executioners used great skill in making the punishment last far longer.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 07:39:39 AM »

Well, this post probably belongs here.
I've just Read Liefield's new Shield #1.
His artwork is definitely better than it was - that's to be hoped for after 2o years.
Writing is by David Gallagher, who has done a few comics but not much.
Curiouser and Curiouser. The book is actually, Mighty Crusaders -The Shield #1.
So we are getting a Mighty Crusaders Revival. Let's hope they get it right this time.   
The Characters, introduced on the Splash Page are:-
Flygirl; Captain Commando; Jaguar; Black Hood; Comet: Fox and Lancelot Strong. Liaison is Dusty, now Detective Dusty.
This issue is primarily an introduction to the set-up/situation and then an extended look at this version of the Shield. Without too many Spoilers, there are -apparently-  3 different versions of SHIELD in this book.
Now there have been at least 4 attempts to recreate the MLJ superhero universe. I noticed from the Splash page that these characters seem, by the costumes and their civilian identities, to be from several different versions of the Crusaders.
The comic is very 90's in tone, the main story being one big fight and the character demonstrating that dead-serious intensity typical of comics at that time.
At the end we get this,
'I've gathered you all here from Different Earths to calm a temporaral event that could ripple through the cosmos.'
So, this would be the answer to why the characters appear to be cherry-picked from different versions of the Crusaders. So we will probably get a stand-alone/ origin/introduction tale from each character before we end up with a new team.
So we will have to see.

Cheers!   
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 06:32:33 PM »

The Black Hood: I read it this morning and was presented with a stream of questions including (from the top of my head):
How did the deeds to the land not get destroyed when the man was drowning?
How does passing it from one person to another make the person now holding it the legal owner?
Why does he pursue a women who is also dating another guy in his presence and tells him he will amount to nothing (or am I missing context there?)? 
How did the decapitated guy see through the balaclava thing?
Even by comic book hero standards, is it not kinda obvious to his friends who Black Hood is?
As you may have gathered I wasn't a huge fan but even when this is the case, I still enjoy my reading and learn something.

Now The Shield was a very different beast. This is a comic that could hold its own even compared to production standards of today. A nice origin story. Simple, silly and formulaic but fun. It's very well-drawn and with an emotional investment in the main character. I like the obvious similarities with Captain America and I'll be interested to see who the main villains emerge to be. I also really like the coloring. While many comics of this era have understandably come to look kinda bland to the modern eye, this one retains a lively and stimulating palette. A very good read!
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 03:51:43 AM »

I don't know much about the MLJ characters, so this was mostly new territory. I started with Top Notch.

The Black Hood was a typical Golden Age story. Supposedly milquetoast alter ego with an abusive supposed girl friend, supposedly funny comic relief character, unmistakably muddled story. And a generic costumed hero without unique abilities. I think the splash panel drawing must be either a mistake or a deliberate cheat, because the script implies that the woman and perhaps the car as well was in no danger. The Black Hood was awfully cavalier in not going after the driver in a fatal hit-and-run.

The matter of the deed is interesting. In thousands of stage melodramas, movies, and comics the Deed to the Ranch is the big prize. Usually the author acknowledges that the deed must be signed over to the villain to be of any use. In this story the deed is more like those "bearer bonds" in 1930s movies that allow anybody who possesses a bond to cash it in. I did appreciate that for once instead of giving a dying confession the expiring villain tells Black Hood to stuff it. The art on this story is blah.

The Wizard (and Roy the Super Boy) continues along the same lines. You all know I don't care for kid sidekicks. Though Roy is typically obnoxious he contributes a lot more to the action than The Wizard does. I wonder where this trope of kid-sidekick-jealous-of-hero's-love-life began. It's all over Golden Age comics and some B-westerns as well. It certainly provides support for those who argue about a homoerotic subtext in GA comics. That said, Roy is nowhere near as bad as the sidekicks of Arizona Raines or Black Roger over at Quality. Roy just storms out on The Wiz while those other kids actively cause trouble to foil the hero's romances. Finally, I don't buy the townspeople suddenly turning into a murderous mob ready to burn folks alive. Artwork: More meh.

Fran Frazer was refreshing because the enemy doctor was given a touch of humanity...and he was allowed to live after hoaxing the soldiers. I don't understand how Fran was supposed to use her press camera to take X-ray pictures. The art here is a sight better than that in the rest of the book.

Keith Kornell reminds us that before the War thousands of "patriotic Americans of German stock" belonged to the German-American Bund and championed Nazi policies. Hutch refers to their training camps; there were some twenty around the U.S. I'm not sure the Bund members would have referred to "American swine," though. Like today's neo-fascists they styled themselves 100% Americans. Speaking of Hutch, he got off pretty lightly considering that he not only joined the Bund but also stole military weapons for them.

What if any are The Firefly's powers? He seems to be just another guy in long johns who runs around and hits guys. It was unusual that the cliched hooded crone wasn't evil but simply deluded. I'd think she'd have shown more emotion when the son she mourned turned out to be not only alive but a murderer. Artwork: a nice moody splash, but most of the good drawings were Raymond swipes.

The St Louis Kid
gives us both terrible art and a stupid story. Does Pampas become a regular character?

...Picking up with Top Notch...

It's good to see Wings Johnson flying a real airplane. Real on the outside, anyway; the interiors are purely from Fakesville. Considering how important aircraft were in pop culture of the time I'm surprised that so few artists made the effort to draw them well. The story is a bit obscure. Fully-loaded bombers gliding to London? Smalle's art is the best in the book.

Mort Meskin takes second place in the art category with Bob Phantom. I admire Meskin's work greatly, but he's still figuring things out in this early outing. What's the deal with Bob Phantom? He seems to be an ordinary-strength hero with the power to appear and disappear but not the power to work invisibly. I'll have to look at some other stories. I like the deco wings on his hood.

Kardak the Mystic Magician is a fair example of the old "Christmas Carol" style of moral tale. Carl Hubbell's art is energetic but awkward. I was never a big fan of his.

My dad owned a copy of Audel's New Auto Guide. I never saw him use it while working on a car, but given his history as an aviation mechanic in the Navy he probably didn't need it. I, on the other hand, found it fascinating reading. Though it was a mid-1940s edition, most of the book's technology was from the 20s and 30s. Lots of engrossing diagrams of engines, braking systems, transmissions, and such.

And so, having chosen my prize (I haven't enough hair to merit the Home Barber Outfit so I went for the Live Canary), I close this issue of Top Notch with a shrug. Enough good moments to be worth reading but kind of dull.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 07:58:48 PM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2021, 08:48:11 PM »

I thought I would comment only on Top Notch this week, but after reading Shield-Wizard #5 I had to write a few words.

This comic was fun, much better than Top Notch in both the story and art departments. The big winner was the trio of retro-tech Wizard tales. I never expected to find an alternate-history series in a Golden Age comic. Sure, author Harry Shorten overdoes it. The Wiz invents just about every major invention ever made, and it's only because of his presence that the American Revolution succeeds. But I don't care. I wish The Wiz had continued in this vein. Ed Ashe's artwork is on the crude side, but he matured into quite a capable artist.

The Shield stories were mostly typical GA superhero stuff, buoyed up by Irv Novick's art. Talk about an underappreciated talent. Novick became a strong draughtsman and did fine work on into the 80s. I think the fact that he was stuck for years on Bob Kanigher's books--plus the way he was pushed to imitate Neal Adams' Batman--worked against his finding the recognition he deserved. The Shield himself is basically the early Superman, including that character's exuberance. Good thing Joe Higgins had a brilliant brain. That FBI exam looked tough! I guess JuJu becomes The Shield's inevitable comic sidekick. I wouldn't have minded seeing him martyred in the line of duty, but no one deserves being run over by a train.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2021, 05:13:41 PM »

Top Notch.  Wow, what graphic violence!  Decapitations, a woman about to be whipped, another about to be tortured, and burnings. I'm surprised Wertham didn't go back and include this one. As a fan of masked mystery men, and despite the poor art, I enjoyed reading early Black Hood and the Wizard. There's something about those old MMM costumes that I like  even with all the cliches.  The stories don't make a lot of sense in places but I go along with them.
Bob Phantom is a genuine superhero and I rather liked this appearance, to the extent that I'll dig out his other appearances. The smoke thingy is reminiscent of the GA Vision a bit.
Firefly is very basic as a MMM.  He doesn't seem to have powers.  I was disappointed when Jeanne rushes to Hudson's shack where he is working on a new serum.  I assumed this was another drink/inject/inhale trick to give himself superpowers.  Ah well, a bit of a letdown.
Kardak, not even a 2nd rate Mandrake.  I can do without him, thank you.

I've only read The Shield stories so far and they are preposterous.  Preposterous but entertaining.  This is a version of Superman. The Shield is doing stuff that the origin doesn't cover - stopping the train and lifting the tracks and so on. But it was fun to watch the action.  Although the Novick art is a rough, there are some nice panels and a few good facial expressions.  It's a superhero comic, the start of a classic GA hero, and I like it.
I'll try to read the rest when I'm away for a few days this week. Thanks for the great suggestions. 
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2021, 04:33:11 PM »

I'm happy to see you guys enjoyed (for the most part) these readings.

I've noticed some people wondered which powers does Bob Phantom have. That's a tough question. Bob Phantom is probably the most inconsistent superhero I've ever read when it comes to his powers. I've read all of his appearances, you can find them here: https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=60796

Especially in his early appearances, Bob Phantom had many superpowers, including super strength, invulnerability, the ability to create a tornado with his cape and his most recurring ability: teleporting with a puff of smoke.
Through the issues, the powers of super strength and invulnerability seem to be present, even if he doesn't use them every time, while he uses his ability to teleport at least once in every issue.

So, to answer your question, given that we don't know how Walt got his powers, we can assume he does possess all of the abilities he shows in his appearances, but he doesn't use them as often as teleporting, somehow.

Concerning the Firefly, even if he doesn't show his powers in this appearance, he should technically possess at least super strength, given his origin story.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 04:38:35 PM by FraBig »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2021, 01:25:43 AM »

I guess I had better get started reviewing this fortnight's books.  I haven't been looking forward to it, as I've never liked any of MLJ's superhero stories, in the  slightest. 

TopNotch Comics 15  [/b]

The Black Hood
This story had a lot of unbelievable things happen.  First, a car sideswipes an old man, knocking him into a river.  He almost drowns, but is saved by The Black Hood, who dives in after him and drags him out of the water.  But, the man knows he will die very soon.  I don't believe he will die very soon.  He is now breathing, and talking.  He cannot drown.  If he is currently experiencing a heart attack, why don't we see the symptoms?  If he has many abrasions and contusions why don't we see lots of blood pouring out, if he is in life danger?  Why can't The Black Hood get him to a hospital to save his life?  If the plot requires him to die on this page, why not show the reader that he really will die?  Second error - handing someone a deed made out to you will not be of much good to the recipient in a court of law, if no relationship between the property and the new holder of someone else's deed claims to be the proper owner.  The dying man should have asked The Black hood if he had a pen and after he located one, he could sign the deed over to The Black Hood. 

If someone, who was dying, would hand me a deed to any property, I surely couldn't simply take it to the local land office, and claim that the owner willed that property to me verbally, without a witness.  It would be my duty to inform the police of the man's death, and hand the deed to them to provide evidence of who the dead man is, and to be sure that the deed is delivered to his estate holder pending distribution of his assets to whoever is specified in his will or trust.  And if none exists, then to his verified next of kin.  If I tried to claim that property through physical possession of someone else's deed, I would be suspected of murder to appropriate the deed, until after his cause of death is thoroughly investigated.  And if a murder is suspected, I would become a prime suspect.

Even if the writer HAD shown the old man sign his deed over to The Black Hood for temporarily saving his life, the man would need to survive long enough for the police, or the lady in the car, to witness that signing.  And then, a court case at the behest of The Black Hood would need to have a handwriting expert testify that the handwriting on the deed was, indeed, the listed owner's own hand.  Realistically, all that would take a few months.  So, the early part of the story would proceed by fits and starts, and be choppy, full of short scenes separated by a lot of narratives.  So, it is a problem, because it hurts the believability of the story, and, so, takes the reader out of living in the story, naturally.

I also wonder how the villain saw what he needed to see out of the shirt that covered his face.  If his head were moving around inside the shirt, its outline would be noticed by onlookers.  If it appears relatively smooth with the shirt, as a man's chest would, then whatever sat between the man's face and the shirt would have to have been fairly thick, but also have holes straight from the man's eyes all the way through the shirt.  Those holes would be visible at relatively short distances, giving away that he is not a ghost.  Also, he would only be able to see straight in front of him.  He would have no peripheral vision, which he needed to avoid The Hood's movements.  That was not taken into consideration by the artist.

The whole plot is too unbelievable to take seriously.  And it wasn't drawn all that well.  And it is a well-worn western plot of the hidden gold mine found by crooks, who need to scare everyone away while they illegally mine the gold.  I also find the hero's using his timid character alter ego as a cover, while taking verbal abuse from his would-be desired ladyfriend, and his supposed rival is also a negative to any possible enjoyment by the reader.  This story has absolutely NO redeeming features for me.

The Wizard & Roy The Super Boy

This was a much better story than the first.  But the artwork was also weak.  The "boy" looked more like a midget.  The artist really did not have the skills to draw Human figures well, and to be consistent with their proportions.  The story, on the other hand, had a good pace, and developed good levels of suspense at the proper times.  It held my interest.  Personally, I'd like it much better if there had been no superhero.  There was no need in this plot, for the hero to have any super powers, nor to wear a costume.  I also like the fact that there were no "real" witches nor magic or any supernatural events occurring.

Fran Frazer
Not a bad story.  It held my interest.  I don't believe that The German officer would have been fooled by The Italian doctor's trick, however.  First of all, they were too careful with security to allow an outsider to switch their standard bullets to blank shells.  And where would the doctor get them? And how could he access their weapons without their guards seeing him do it?  And how would he have time to do all that? (e.g. having them ALL away from their weapons so long a time?).  Also, I seem to remember blanks sounding very different from live bullets when shot.  If a non-gun user like me can recognise that, how would the firing squad members, and the officer in charge, watching the execution, not notice that sound difference.  And, it is also not realistic to believe that The German soldiers wouldn't look at the two victims' bodies up close, and kick them, to make sure they were dead, and fire their pistol to their heads if they saw movement after the kick.  But, all of that does not ruin the story for me.  Still, I think those problems could have been worked around, and the basic story line could have been saved, and worked better.

Keith Kornell West Pointer
This story is based on a situation that is much too difficult to believe.  As far as I understand, The American German (Heritage) Bund was an organisation of US citizens of German extraction and heritage who was founded for the benefit of its members (people of German heritage).  Before The US entered World War II, they wanted The US to stay out of that war, and thus, avoid fighting their old home country.  They were against how terribly The US citizens of German extraction were treated during World War I.  They knew The US was normally an ally of Britain and France, and was helping Britain fight The Germans while The US was still nominally "neutral".  It is just not believable that they would recruit US citizens of non-German descent.  Hutchinson is an English name.  This story would have worked better IF the US soldier, who was unfairly treated for allegedly starting the fight with the German POW, would have been of German heritage, and had joined The US Army reluctantly at the request of his immigrant father, who kissed the ground when arriving, and wanted to prove his family was made up of "real Americans".  And, it would also need the German Bund recruiting officer to have observed him being mistreated by being falsely accused, and then not backed up by his officer, and heard his name called out, and it is a German name, rather than "Hutch".

It is also hard to believe that someone who was lukewarm about joining The Bund, and not party to the plan of some of their higher-ups to help sabotage The US military and domestic war effort in USA, to make it easier for the expected coming of a German invasion, would risk being court marshalled, and kicked out of The Army for Bad Conduct, and lose any possibility of pension and any benefits, and risk a prison term, to steal guns and give them to The German Bund.  The emotion just isn't in that character to make all this believable.  We would need a few added pages to show his hatred for his father's controlling his life, and for his father's beloved USA, to make it believable.  This goes back to my pet peeve about all these so-called "stories" (which are really only vignettes) being too short in number of panels and pages to construct a decently paced and completely developed plot. 

And then, in the end, after "Hutch" is caught, having stolen US Army guns, and ammunition, and given it to an organisation seen to have members antagonistic to their country's interests, and fomenting plots to sabotage their country's war efforts, they let the offender off with a slight slap on the wrist, implying that he did nothing wrong.  That, too is unbelievable.  That was The US Military DURING A WAR!!!  That was an offence that could easily have been (and often was) punishable by DEATH!  In real life, he'd AT THE VERY LEAST, would have gotten a dishonourable discharge from The Army and probably have served a prison sentence of some length.

The Firefly
This story was interesting in that the old witch, Atira, seemed to be one of the perpetrators of the scam to fleece gold from the families of the drowned boys; but in the end we find out that the criminal was her son, alone, without her help.  I think it is a little bit hard to believe that she fell for her son's trick.  The story had good pacing, and was developed enough, despite its short length.  It held my interest all the way through.  I'm not sure why The Firefly is called that name, or why he needs to wear tights and a kind of uniform.  And his tiny goggles really don't obscure much of his face, at all.  So they don't hide his identity.  I was glad he does not seem to have any super power.  So, why not just dress like a normal person?

The St. Louis Kid
Very, VERY interesting and entertaining story!!!  The future father-In-Law of "The Kid" (boxer) borrow The Kid's gift for his fiancee, speeds through a hick town and is thrown in jail, and The Kid is forced to fight an exhibition fight against the crooked judge's gigantic monster fighter from south America, in a frame-up. After knocking the "ringer" out, The Kid is thrown in the Jail, too (on trumped-up charges). The South American rips off the jail cell's door, frees the 2 prisoners, and we see a new sidekick character added to the strip for future episodes. Clever, and unexpected. Best story by far.

Wings Johnson of The Air Patrol
This was a semi-realistic World War II spy story. Wings is an RAF pilot, who, with his comic sidekick, Henry Higgins, as co-pilot, were to deliver a new bomber to its deployment spot. Higgins gets injured, and immediately after, the spy(German intelligence officer) pretends to be a British intelligence officer, commandeering the plane, and taking Higgins' place. I assume he was testing the situation of flying over London and turning off the planes' engines and lights to see if that would allow the German Luftwaffe planes to fly over London and drop their bombs without being detected by the ground defence forces' anti-aircraft gunners. Luckily, Higgins accidentally helps Wings capture the spy, which, of course, allows Wings to keep the plane from crashing. Its a bit fanciful, but very short. and so, being filled with suspense and action, held my interest all the way through.

Bob Phantom
Another tights-wearing would-be superhero, like The Firefly and The Black Hood in this book, no super power was shown. It is a very basic story of two burglars who stole diamonds and hid them to return and get the later. The less bright of the 2 was killed (maybe by his partner-so he could keep ALL the loot?). Phantom's alter ego, Walt Whitney, newspaper reporter, only used his credentials to get access to the crime scene.  But, in this story, he obtained his new secretary, assistant, understudy, who, typically, became beautiful, simply by removing her spectacles, and letting down her hair. Conveniently, because of the story's short page allowance, she had resided on the same floor (next door) in one of the crook's apartment building, and so was the perfect way to integrate the other story track of Whitney getting his assistant into the limited page and panel space. Whitney and Jinx Friday (soon-to-be Girl Friday) solve the case, and get ready to move on to their next case.

Kardak The Mystic Magician
Kardak, apparently through hypnosis, shows a tempermental, selfish, nasty movie star his potential terrible future from staying selfish and cruelly uncaring for the fates of others.  It is a good way to show Kardak's powers.  Of course, the man changes his ways after that trauma, and all is good with The World.  It is a bit "preachy", but being so short, and direct to the point, it is not offensive to the reader, and entertaining  enough.  The artwork is weak, as it was in every story in this book.

Shield/Wizard Comics #1

The Shield - G-Man Extraordinary
This story tells and shows the origin of The Shield. The story, although short, is complete, full of action, well-paced and directly to the point. I'm not a fan of superhero stories. But this held my interest the whole way, and the story didn't seem silly, or too illogical to me that most of the superhero stories I have read have seemed to me. Interesting to see J. Edgar Hoover portrayed as a sympathetic character after knowing what was revealed about him after his death.

Chapter 2 (Incident at Ingot's Steel Plant)
Maybe I commented on the lack of silliness or purposeful campiness too soon. The steel magnate named Ingot, in the 2nd chapter, is a bit too much for me to accept. Also, The Shield giving all the credit to his G-Man "supervisor", JU Ju (who was unconscious most of the time The Shield did his heroic deeds, just to keep his identity secret is hard to take, as well as the normal superhero super strength.  there is really no suspense, because we know he will always succeed, and there is no real mortal danger for him.

Chapter 3 (The Zefke Murder Case)
Of course, in dramatic fashion, The Shield stops a racing train at full speed, with his bare hands and arm strength, just as its cowcatcher is about to touch the body of the first victim, tied to the track.  He could have used his super speed and leaping ability to jump far ahead of that, to avoid any possibility of the train touching their bodies. But that would have taken away the last smidgen of any possible suspense.  Of course, all readers over 4 years old knew that an innocent victim couldn't be shown to be killed in a 1940s American comic book. I suppose soldier deaths could be implied in a military comic book of that time.  But even then, I doubt that the actual expiration of the person couldn't be seen in a panel. Perhaps some villains could be seen to fall off a cliff, and we assume that they were killed when they landed, or by heart attack while on the way down, but we cannot WATCH that happen; and it can't happen to an innocent person in a superhero comic story.

The Shield destroys parts of the railroad tracks, and a water tower to apprehend the gang members, who will give testimony that will put the gang leader, and others who participated actively in the murders, in prison for life, or executed in the electric chair. I hope that the assets of those gang members will be taken away to pay for repair of those properties (both public and private).

Chapter 4 - The Vampire Murders (Text Story)
I had the opposite reaction to this story. I was hoping that there was a depraved Human villain, who used the vampire disguise as a way to commit his heinous crimes of vengeance, hoping that it would lead suspicion away from him.  But, I should have realised that describing such an elaborate hoax in any understandable way would not be possible in 2 pages worth of text.  But simply saying it was a "real" vampire, as defined by the medieval folktales is not very entertaining to me.

The Wizard - (Story of The First Wizard - Blaine Whitney)
The author explains the origin of the first Wizard to fight for USA - an historical novel, with him helping the colonists fight the US Revolutionary War against The British. He weaves the story of this superbrained and super physically-powered colonist into the actual historical events to show that they might not have occurred without his help. His talent for being able to look into the future has him inventing future inventions to use to his advantage against villains who are enemies of his country. It was a bit entertaining. And the artwork is decent. But the superpowers driving the story is not my cup of tea.

The 2nd and 3rd chapters are just more of the same finishing up the war to the point where USA gains its
independence.

Overall assessment:

The Shield had much better artwork than the Top Notch Comic.  Both books had a few reasonably good stories and a few weak ones as well.  The Shield/Wizard Comic was, to my taste, the better of the two, overall.  But neither are books I would want to read more, or collect.  But, as superhero stories go, The Shield is one of the more plausible origin stories, or I should rather state, one of the least ridiculous, superhero stories I've read.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 09:53:26 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 02:03:00 PM »

Top Notch comics 15

Cover - Violent, cliched and dull. By today's standards Racist.
The Black Hood.
A mystery man. The Hood is black but I think Yellow is a bad choice as a colour for a Mystery Man.
This one is not much of a story.
'Laughs with Joe Strong, romance with beautiful Barbara Sutton, Thrill and Chills and Blood-tingling action with the Black Hood.'   
Well, no, not in this story.
The Wizard and Roy the Super boy,
The whole story is just silly. Corny.
In both these stories the art isn't necessary. The story is told verbally and Al Camy's art adds nothing.
Fran Frazer
Much better art. Female main character. There were a few main characters who were Photographers. Apparently a more glamourous occupation then.
In comparison to the first two stories a much better effort.
Keith Kornell
If he stole Rifles, Hutch would have been court-martialled and in wartime possibly shot.So not believable.
The Firefly.
The Artist - Warren King, is attempting to be creative and good on him, but he too is lumbered with a word-heavy script.
The Firefly doesn't use any 'Powers' - operates here as yet another 'masked mystery man'
Although I do like his costume.
And this is the third story with the same plot, criminals try to con people by pretending to be occult creatures.
This one is about conning aggrieved parents of deceased servicemen. Actually  I believe this did really happen in some places.
We already had, ' Headless ghosts and Witches.
The St Louis Kid.
Bad Art and just a dumb story.
Wings Johnson
Nice Art by Ed Smalle 
Bob Phantom.
OK - Mort Meskin, so things are looking up.
'The next moment, a swirl of wind and a puff of white smoke, ....Bob Phantom!'
Did Harry Shorten write for Radio? You don't need that kind of stuff in a comic. Just let the Artist draw it.
And it is all for nothing. They're gone! It's a bit of a Saturday Night Live skit, unfortunately.   
And the last three panels are one of the ultimate script cliches. Even Walt Disney would be embarrassed. 
Kardak
Basically an extended Mandrake Routine.
Harry Shorten. Don't know much about him and on the strength of this I'm not in a hurry to do so.
I don't really believe he knew at this stage how to write for an artist.
I don't really get the impression that he cared about the work either. There is just not much fun in it.
Disappointing. But he improves somewhat in the next book.
Shield Wizard Comics 01
The SHIELD.
Origin Story.
Well this is interesting. The S.H.I.E.L.D. formula is something I hadn't seen before and never referred to in subsequent Origin stories. Quite clever actually.
This kind of origin story works because we are given a hero with a motivation and a back-story.
Huge improvement here from Harry Shorten. 
So why did DC prosecute Captain Marvel and Wonderman but not the Shield, who is much more Superman than Captain America?
The Wizard.
This is the Ancestor of the current Wizard? As a boy, he is basically Superman.But as an adult he is combination Superman, professor X and Tesla. A superhero in the War of independence. He could have beaten the British all by himself.
In both these books, the Artists Meskin, Ed Ashe, Irv Novick, Ed Smalle, are just starting out and went on to later do much better work.
I have not previously ventured to take a good look at CB+'s MLJ collection.
Their effort in the 60's was my introduction to the characters. It wasn't impressive. and that disappointed me. I have always lived in hope that these characters could reach their full potential.
I get the impression from these books that MLJ was always a B grade operation as a whole. Oh, at times and in places there was some good work. But something is always lacking.
Shame!

Thank you Frabig!     

« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 12:52:12 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2021, 09:15:25 PM »

So why did DC prosecute Captain Marvel and Wonderman but not the Shield, who is much more Superman than Captain America?

Wonderman was the first Superman-like character so DC felt they had to sue to make an example, but IIRC DC had to come up with specific examples of copyright infringement to prove their case, which I think curtailed their desire to sue other knockoffs, since trials are expensive and finding such examples takes time.

Captain Marvel probably got sued because 1. his comics were more popular than Superman's & 2. DC was annoyed that Captain Marvel was the first super-hero to have a live action movie made. The copyright lawsuit was filed after the Captain Marvel movie serial came out which was several years after the Big Red Cheese's comic debut.

The Shield was a minor hero & probably not seen as a serious competitor by DC.

Although... the Shield appeared before Captain America, so when Captain America first appeared he had a triangular shield which the Shield's publishers saw as an infringement on the shield that the Shield wears on his front and threatened a lawsuit against Marvel/Timely and so Kirby & Simon decided to change the shape of Captain America's shield and realized that a round shield was so much more useful than a triangular shield. So the proposed lawsuit actually resulted in a much more iconic weapon for Captain America.  ;D Comics history is so much fun.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2021, 02:04:25 PM »

I don't want to brag, but I knew all of that  8) ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.