in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Book Group # 260 Christmas Reads

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Book Group # 260 Christmas Reads  (Read 1610 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Reading Book Group # 260 Christmas Reads
« on: December 13, 2021, 09:18:53 AM »

2 Christmas selections.
First

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=16775
Christmas Carnival
Because its a good long read and also because there are few art Ids and maybe they can be supplied during this books moment of attention here.

Second
Christmas Drawings for the Human Race [Thomas Nast]
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=74641
Because they did Christmas proud back then.

Enjoy!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Book Group # 260 Christmas Reads
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 06:26:05 PM »

2 Christmas selections.
First

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=16775
Christmas Carnival
Because its a good long read and also because there are few art Ids and maybe they can be supplied during this books moment of attention here.

Second
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=74641
Because they did Christmas proud back then.

Enjoy!

Interesting choices!  Our readers might want to read the original, Approved Comics/Ziff-Davis distributed 1952 version, only for the reason that it has cleaner scanned pages, in that they don't have annoying, eye-catching pieces of the adjoining pages included, which can draw the eye away from the page one is trying to read.

You all can find it here:  https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=66636

The one slight downside to choosing to read THIS version, is that the colouring is brighter on the St. John 1954 reprint.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 10:15:28 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 05:21:33 AM »

This is certainly the least Christmas-y Christmas I've had in a very long time. When Santa's list is topped by "Getting everyone vaccinated" and "Pass the act to restore voting rights" you know it isn't the same old world. Nice to have some Christmas-y reading to escape into.

Christmas Carnival #2 is a very uneven collection. The art seldom rises above "okay" and most of the stories are the same old same-old. Two stories stand out for me. First is "Saint George and the Dragons." It's saddled with mediocre art, but the resolution makes up for it. Two sets of lifelong enemies recognize each others' humanity--er, animality and dragonality--and find a little peace and goodwill. The other story that stuck with me is "The Wonderful Snow House." It's not much of a story as such, but the surreal happenings combined with Klaus Nordling's excellent drawings make for a memorable five pages.

Thomas Nast's Christmas Drawings for the Human Race is a real treat. People writing histories of the popular culture Santa Claus always credit Haddon Sundblom's 1950s Coca-Cola Santas with establishing the look of the modern Santa Claus, making him "less forbidding," "merrier," and "less elf-like." I think this cartoon collection shows that Sundblom's primary contributions were a new wardrobe and a slicker finish. Nast's cartoons already have all the Santa Claus tropes down pat. Sundblom's children were nicer, though. Note the relative sizes of the piles of Naughty and Nice kids on page 17!

Speaking of children, Nast draws the chubbiest kids this side of Herbie Popnecker. Admittedly that was part of the style back then. I'd never noticed how good Nast was at animals. Some of his dogs and cats have more personality than the kids, who occasionally look either zombie-like or really, really depressed. Minor quibbles. Overall this is a fine book.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Holidays to all, and to all a good night.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 11:08:05 PM »

I.  I'll review each story in Christmas Carnival #2 first, one at a time. Approved Comics was the main young childrens imprint of Ziff-Davis Comics, which had their comic book art drawn by a couple of the New York-based independent comic book art studios. It's contents were leased to St. John for reprint publication in 1954. 

Book Overall
I'm not sure which studio or studios provided the art for this book, but some well-known artists like Burton Geller (many of the stories), and Howie Post and Klaus Nordling filled in for a few, with a handful of others provided by one of the studios. The extremely variant art and story writing styles make this book a stylistic hodgepodge of weak, mediocre, and barely average quality funny animal and other childrens fare.  It certainly doesn't compare to the level of The Disney, Warner Brothers, or even MGM and Walter Lantz annual Christmas Giant comics of its time.

Little Boy Blue-In-The-Face Poem/Gag - Unknown Artist and Writers from Studio contracted to St. John (didn't appear in original Approved Comics/Ziff-Davis 1952 issue).
Well drawn and mildly amusing poem/gag.

(1) Purvis The Pooch Visits Santa
Proposed by many to have been drawn by Howie Post.  Storywriter unknown.

This story is drawn decently, and has a fairly decent, and very typical Christmas story theme, of the wretchedly poor family not having decent food and shelter to be able to celebrate Christmas in a very cheerful way.  And so, most of them are downhearted, and have lost The Christmas Spirit, and so, no longer believe in Santa Claus (or never did). In this case, the "family" is a group of hoboes. Our star(protagonist), Purvis, still does, despite his and his friends' poverty and the group's growing hopelessness. His efforts to cheer them up are in vain, and they make fun of him for his foolishness. To prove them wrong, Purvis sets out on a long trek through The Northern USA, and Canada, to The North Pole, to visit Santa's workshop, to remind the old elf to visit them with gifts on Christmas Eve. Of course, in typical Christmas story fashion, after several dangerous setbacks, he succeeds in getting there, and Santa does MUCH MORE than grant his wishes, by coming to visit the group early, and providing the hoboes with a prefabricated house and loads of food, household appliances, Christmas gifts, and probably (though unseen) holiday decorations. This story has the feel of a condensed, "poor mans" Disney Comics Christmas Giant Comic lead story, written by Bill Walsh.  We know that Walsh wrote a few such stories for Approved Comics. I think this was a highly condensed one of his 20-page scoped tales, he had originally written with Donald Duck and his Nephews in mind, which was "left in the can" because of better alternatives, and he condensed it down to less than half size, and offered it to Approved, or the New York indie studio who fed them.

(2) Frankie The Fox's Christmas Spirit - Drawn by Burton Geller,  Writer Unknown
First, I must mention that this is the worst artwork I can remember ever seeing from Geller (certainly 2 or 3 steps down from his E.C. funny animal work). Maybe he drew only the final pencils, and the inking was done by someone with a shaky hand.  But it is not pleasant at all to read a story with weak artwork. The story, itself, is very Christmas, cliche style, with the lead character being, like Scrooge, a villain, bereft of empathy for others, and by association, The Christmas Spirit, and having him, by the end of the story, learning the error of his ways, and not only vowing to spread that spirit to everyone he meets, but, to top it off, ends up being Santa Claus' helper in bringing gifts to everyone. It's way too preachy, and totally expected, with nothing really funny at all.

Another problem I have with this story is that the author has breached the boundary lines between anthropomorphic animal/people versus steadfast, true animals, destroying the logic of their necessary definitions. The sentient wolf-person, who wishes to spread the joy and spirit of Christmas to his fellow people (both Mankind AND anthropomorphic animals) wants to EAT his fellow anthropomorphic people, IF they look like a real wolf's prey), and the steadfast Humans want to kill the wolf (ostensibly because he kills and eats their domestic animals). So, he ends up being saved by Santa Claus, who, from the goodness of his heart, protects the wolf/man from Santa's fellow Humans. The logic of all this cannot work in any way. If I were to submit such a story, it would be summarily rejected, and I'd probably be on probation for being fired,  when a second story of this type would be submitted, despite working for my publisher for 37 years.  I admit that many of the Funny Animals Non-Disney Christmas stories, over the years, have been sappy, preachy and illogical, too. But, many of them have been palatable to me because their artwork was good.  Unfortunately THIS story's artwork is very far from being good enough to save this sappy story.

(3) Saint George and The Dragons  -  Drawn by Flip(listed as "Flip1" in GCD, and as Tommy O'Lowd in "Who's Who of American Comics"), Writer Unknown
Flip's last name should be traceable, given that that nickname rings a bell with me, bringing up a memory of a 1940s and '50s artist, who worked in both the animation studios and, at least one New York-based small, indie comic book studio. Unfortunately, no "Flip" was listed on our animation/comic book artist thread's list.

This story's artwork is a little weaker than average for funny animal stories in The Golden Age. That is to say that it's not bad enough to ruin the reading experience, but not good enough to uplift a weakly-written story. 
And this story is as boring as poor man's gruel. It is the quintessence of cliche Christmas children's fare, in which even villains, in the form of dangerous animals, are forgiven, pitied, and showered with the Christmas gift of goodwill and help when needed from the story's protagonist.  In this case, the main character is really the moral villain, wanting to kill the innocent dragon, who, resigned to his fate, gives up without a fight, because he has no gifts to give his sons. And in so doing, melts the heart of the protagonist, would-be murderer, to, with the help of his friends, bring gifts for the kiddies. and so, a wonderful Christmas was had by all.  It's only humour was a lame attempt at some physical jokes based on the dragon's fire breathing and its resultant steam. To use the Monty Python epithet, it is "dreadfully dull and boring" typical sappy holiday children's fare, which cannot show violence, and must have villains and their would-be victims join hands bathed in love for all Mankind in the Christmas Spirit.

(4) Slapsie And Maxie - Drawn by Burton Geller, Writer Unknown
Geller's artwork in this story is a bit better than that of the Frankie Fox story, but not better enough to make this disasterously weak story worth reading.  It's plot is the oft-used switcheroo, in which the scheming Lothario lets his fiend tag along on a double date, only to keep the hot bombshell's ugly girlfriend occupied, so the other two can be alone together. But, of course, in this typical slapstick, vaudeville-cliche, low-brow comedy, the schemer's sidekick gets the good looker, and the would-be lover gets the wallflower. The story is a very expected, boring, and unfunny story, whose artwork doesn't help it.

(5) Seven At One Blow - Drawn by an unnamed artist and written by a writer from one of the New York Comic Book art studios 
This story is based on the same folk/fairy tale that spawned Disney's Mickey Mouse story  "The Brave Little Tailor". However, it mainly involves with the tailor outsmarting an idiotic giant in silly ways no one would believe.  And the events were not only very ridiculous, but not funny.  Also, action scenes are described in text rather than shown in the drawings. What is the point of having the comic book fusion of illustrations, narrative text and dialogue in childrens stories, if the main attraction to children is not used?

(6)Handy Hoggys Christmas Star  -  Drawn by Burton Geller, writer unknown
This story makes no sense at all.  The protagonist wants to obtain a star to top off his Christmas tree. So, he sits atop a barrel full of of fire crackers, and shoots himself out into Space, where he lands on an alien planet, populated by pig people.They manufacture stars. He wants to buy one, but they refuse to sell. He offends people, who then throw stars at him. He brings it home, but realises that he only had been dreaming. His ladyfriend had found last year's star, and put it in his hand while he was asleep.  They place it on the tree and have a happy Christmas. A totally silly, boring, unfunny story with below average artwork and no redeeming features.

(7) The Wolf Who Did Not Believe in Santa Claus  -  Drawn by Unlisted Artist and from an Independent Comic Book Studio, Unknown Writer
This story is a VERY poor mans weak attempted copy of a Disney "Big Bad Wolf/Three Little Pigs" story. It is very much a cliche story, that has not even one funny scene. Naturally, Santa save The pigs from The Wolf, but gives The Wolf a gift. A worthless boring story, not helped by weak artwork.

(8) Lil Eskey And Big Moe  -  Drawn by Burton Geller, Writer Unknown
This story looked like a typical cliche story about a conniving con man, who takes advantage of everyone for his own game. And the reader is led to expect he will get his punishment in the end. But this story has a completely unexpected ending that has the selfish trickster go unpunished, and his manipulation of his so-called friend leads to a gift given to Santa.  BNot a great story, but entertaining with the twist ending.

(9) Jack And The Beanstalk - Drawn by an Unlisted Artist from an independent New York Comic Book Studio (possibly the story's writer, Carl Wessler(appears to fit his style somewhat). Writer identified below by Superscrounge, and recorded by GCD as Carl Wessler.

This is the well known fairy tale, with no special comedy scenes or clever additions, and no unexpected twists.  It is very boring, and has no redeeming features. And its less than average quality artwork doesn't help.

(10) Benny The Bug - Unnamed Artist and Writer from Independent New York Comic Book Studio
This gag is well drawn, but very ordinary as it is a too often used slapstick gag, with no clever, unexpected twist. Apparently, the bug-person took the Television picture tube out of the TV console, and is pretending to be an actor in a commercial break, to trick the dog into approaching so he can douse him with water. Not very funny to my taste.  The artwork is nice, however. This was drawn by a St. John contracted artist, and not contained in the original Approved Comics/Ziff-Davis printing (just as the iFC and IBC were).

(11) Joe And Jennifer in The Wonderful Snowhouse  -  Drawn by Klaus Nordling, Writer Unknown

This story had a chance to be much better, if the author would have used the gate into a fantasy World idea to add a much more clever scenario. Unfortunately, meeting a Gypsy whose stove melted a small snow house and left a Christmas tree for the kids, is fairly boring and unimaginative.  The artwork is average, and so does not pull up the quality of the story reading experience.

(12) Santas Red Nose - Drawn And Written by an unnamed artist and writer from an independent New York Comic Book Studio

This is the typical childrens Christmas story, with the problem that Santa is sick, and not likely to be able to make his gift delivery rounds on Christmas Eve. However, in this situation, no attempt was made to try to use a clever twist to have his elves, or a protagonist character to solve that problem. Instead, the old cop-out (lazy way out of the problem) of having Santa dreaming he had missed delivering the gifts on Christmas Eve, was employed. That solution is generally hated by readers because it is used way too often by unimaginative writers. The artwork in this story is slightly weaker than average, and so, doesn't help this story become an entertaining read.

(13) Wacky Wizard - Drawn And Written by an unnamed artist and writer from an independent New York Comic Book Studio

This story is fairly clever, using a bit of child psychology that most children would likely appreciate, quality time with their fathers, which in this modern World, is often difficult to experience due to their need to make enough money to pay for all of their families' needs. It is also oriented more towards boys for that reason, and we can also see that boys interest has been targeted more than usual in this story, because the "fairy Godmother part" is played by a young boy as a Wizard (magician). The fact that the boys wishes fail, one after another, so the boy wizard takes matters into his own hands and goes more directly after the goal, creating a situation in which the father needed the son to help him in his work. Young boys want quality time with their fathers, and they don't care if they need to work to spend time with them. In whichever city or country my family resided, my father owned a shop.  I worked in each of them, at least part-time, from the age of 5 until 20, or so. Otherwise, I would hardly have seen him during those years.

(14)Shorty The Squirrel in Home Made - Unnamed Artist (Believed by some to be Drawn by Howie Post), but identified below by Super Scrounge as Milt Story. Written by MNT

The artwork of this story looks a lot like Sangor Studio style. If the artist isn't Howie Post, I would guess that it is one of the ex-Sangor artists who was laid off in 1949, with most of the studios artists, when only about 10% of them were hired directly to work on Giggle, Ha Ha, and Funny Films Comics. It is one of the best drawn stories in this book.

I'm not sure that I understand this story that is not really a story with much of a plot. The Squirrel Family is
thrown out of their home by their greedy landlord. The small child unexpectedly builds a house atop the boat his father built to take the family for a boat ride as a Christmas present. Now they have a place to reside, and celebrate the holiday out of the elements. It is more of a tiny slice of life, rather than a story which has a struggle, conflict, or valuable lesson learned, or provides enough entertainment value to make it worth reading. And the decent artwork is not spectacular enough to make this so-called "story" worth reading.

(15) The Little Snowman Who Ran Away - Drawn And Written by an unnamed artist and writer from an independent New York Comic Book Studio The drawing looks a bit like Bill Wright's work.

This is one of the better drawn stories in this book. This short, 4-page story has a simple plot. The Snowman Familys little boy is curious about the Human people who live down in the valley below their snow-capped mountain. Despite his father warning him to not go below the snow line in summer, he starts downward and falls and rolls in a big snowball down to the valley. He starts to melt in the hot sunlight, and tris to climb back up. After his parents rescue him, he continues to ask his father questions about The Humans.  I suppose the story is a cautionary tale to teach the lesson that a child should heed the warnings of his/her parents. It is a little bit entertaining due to the suspense of not knowing if he will melt , or make it back to his home. But, that is a foregone certainty in young childrens stories in comic books aimed at pre-teens.

(16) Mad About Mountains - Poem/Gag - Unknown Artist and Writers from Studio contracted to St. John (didn't appear in original Approved Comics/Ziff-Davis 1952 issue).
Well drawn and mildly amusing poem/gag.

II. Thomas Nast's Christmas Drawings for the Human Race [/b]
This fabulous book of captioned cartoon drawings is a rare treat for the fans of engraving-style early 20th Century cartoony inked drawings. I agree with Crash that Nast's portrayal of Santa Claus must have been one of the major influences in developing the Christmas Elf's popular image he enjoys Worldwide, today.  His work reminds me a bit of that by Wilhelm Busch. It has a 19th Century feel to it.  What great skill in inking he had. I wish I had such skill in my hands.  But, alas, it is too late for me. My drawing hand is already getting shaky. I have to be content in drawing the best pencil drawings I can, and leave inking to the younger artists, most of whom already have had much more inking experience than I. His shadow work is phenomenal. He really had the skill of many of the classical great masters.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 04:28:10 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 12:15:28 AM »

Looking forward to reading these festive picks and then running through everyone's analysis.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 12:19:12 PM »

I read the first two stories of Christmas Carnival. Purvis The Pooch Visits Santa was a story I quite enjoyed. I would have enjoyed it even more if the story had been longer and covered more of his actual journey to see Santa, the story could have emphasized his determination and belief more instead of just a single bubble of exposition about how he travelled thousands of miles by hitchhiking.

Frankie The Fox's Christmas Spirit was a throwaway Christmas funny. I agree with Robb that the anthropomorphic lines were blurred to no particular end. Still, not terrible.

Christmas Drawings for the Human Race I think was also in the reading corner last Christmas. The quality of the drawing and shading is truly spectacular and I appreciated the read very much. As I often mention, I find interest in the window to past cultural attitudes that GA comics offer. This set of great art, however, also exposed the difference between my childlike brain that enjoys comics and my more cynical adult side. In some pictures I can appreciate the innocence of the drawings as they were surely intended but I also find a few unsettling. The children climbing on Santa make for beautiful illustrations but due to the age we live in, I also immediately feel that it might not be accepted in the modern world. On page 43, I eventually noticed what looks to me like some kind of sinister spirits in the background, though I am sure they were not intended to be perceived that way.

In any case, a great selection of comics and they have put me in a festive spirit! Merry Christmas fellow GA readers!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 08:41:49 AM by gregjh »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2021, 04:39:34 AM »

Christmas Carnival #2

Little Boy Blue-In-The-Face - Okay.

Purvis The Pooch Visits Santa - Okay, but I've read a number of these simple stories that it's hard to have much enthusiasm for it.

Christmas Spirit - An odd story. Considering that Frankie kills and eats chickens it's not surprising that he gets treated as a villain. Use a real life cannibal as the character who gets the Christmas spirit who can't understand why people don't like him then you just might understand how messed up this story idea is.

Saint George And The Dragons - Not bad. Different from the previous story because while George is a killer of dragons he has his heart changed by talking to a dragon. Whether the character kills dragons in future stories I have no idea.

Slapsy And Maxie - Cute.

Seven At One Blow - Okay retelling of the old story.

Algy Alligator Goes Visiting - Not bad, but if you didn't read it you didn't miss anything important.

Handy Hoggy's Christmas Star - Cute. Nitpick: Delirius doesn't make five-pointed stars, but if you look you can spot a few in the artwork. ;-)

The Wolf Who Didn't Believe In Santa Claus - Eh, okay, I guess.

Li'l Eskey And Big Moe - Why does Eskey let Moe take advantage of him?

Jack And The Beanstalk - An okay retelling of an old story. Nothing really new sadly.

Prickly Porcupine Runs Away - Just what it says on the tin. I did like the bit of his helping the people he ran into, but the story still seems rather fluffy.

Benny The Bug - I was expecting a story, not a pointless gag.

The Wonderful Snowhouse - Weird. Kind of a bunch of unconnected gags woven together into a story.

Santa's Red Red Nose - Okay but nothing special.

Wacky Wizard - Ehhh... some interesting ideas, but I wasn't impressed by the finished story.

Home Made - Not bad.

The Little Snowman Who Ran Away - Okay.

Twas The Night Before Christmas And All Through The House - Very, very weak.

Mad About Mountains - Okay. The face in panel five looks like Dick Briefer's Frankenstein to me.

Christmas Drawings For The Human Race

I'd read this once before (and indexed it at the GCD), but it's still a good read. The Civil War cartoons seem a bit odd to encounter, but that's how old some of these cartoons are. It was a current event when drawn and while, these days, we think of cartoons as funny, but these show cartoons can be more than that as I tend to feel for these soldiers away from their families and neither knew if they would see the other or not.

(3) Saint George and The Dragons  -  Drawn by Flip, Writer Unknown
Flip's last name should be traceable, given that that nickname rings a bell with me, bringing up a memory of a 1940s and '50s artist, who worked in both the animation studios and, at least one New York-based small, indie comic book studio. Unfortunately, no "Flip" was listed on our animation/comic book artist thread's list.

Bails' Who's Who lists him as Flip 1. Here's a link to his GCD Creator Page which has a link to the Who's Who. https://www.comics.org/creator/4275/

(14)Shorty The Squirrel in Home Made - Unnamed Artist (Believed by some to be Drawn by Howie Post), Written by MNT

While I admit the first name is tough to read it's actually cartoonist Milt Story. There's not a lot of info on the guy, but here's an article that really makes you thimk.  http://strippersguide.blogspot.com/2016/06/ink-slinger-profiles-by-alex-jay-milt.html
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 04:41:51 AM by SuperScrounge »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2021, 04:02:34 PM »

Christmas Carnival #2

(3) Saint George and The Dragons  -  Drawn by Flip, Writer Unknown

Bails' Who's Who lists him as Flip 1. Here's a link to his GCD Creator Page which has a link to the Who's Who. https://www.comics.org/creator/4275/

(14)Shorty The Squirrel in Home Made - Unnamed Artist (Believed by some to be Drawn by Howie Post), Written by MNT

While I admit the first name is tough to read it's actually cartoonist Milt Story. There's not a lot of info on the guy, but here's an article that really makes you thimk.  http://strippersguide.blogspot.com/2016/06/ink-slinger-profiles-by-alex-jay-milt.html

Thanks for identifying Milt Story, and the reference to info on "Flip".
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2021, 08:34:20 PM »

Read and enjoyed Christmas Carnival- not a masterpiece, but good for what it was. Probably the kind of comic parents would buy for their kids, especially after the Dr. Wertham unpleasantness. (I wasn't allowed super-hero comics, but my best friend at church kept me well supplied!) I guess my favorite story would be The Little Snowman who Ran Away- something about the artwork just struck a chord.
The Thomas Nast book was just plain awesome! I'm an avid pen and ink fan and enjoy any and all works by the masters of the craft. (I even prefer Brit DC reprints so I can enjoy the work of Swan, Anderson and Infantino without the distraction of color!) I try not to view older works through a modern filter and see them as the artist intended. Amazing stuff- thanks for the picks, Panther. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 04:02:43 AM »

No long comments from me on the Christmas choices.
I'm glad they were appreciated.
Christmas Carnival is pretty much typical of the kind of 'Christmas Specials' that publishers put out back then. For me its a pretty good read for what it is.
By today's standards a masterpiece and it speaks for itself.
Just glad to bring it to everybody's attention again.
Hope your individual Christmases have been positive, enjoyable, healthy and relaxing.
Wishing us all a worthwhile new year!
Can't wait for whatever Robb puts up for the next choice.
cheers!

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 02:49:15 AM »

late, but I just found this one by accident - looking through the Charlton material
Giant Comics 3 - Christmas Book
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=20280

cheers! 
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 03:29:00 AM »

late, but I just found this one by accident - looking through the Charlton material
Giant Comics 3 - Christmas Book
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=20280

cheers!

That Charlton book is full of stories with weak storylines and even weaker artwork.  It is from 1957, and even Al Fago, then chief editor of Charlton, was cranking out stories by the bushel. So the quality of his artwork suffered drastically, as compared with his 1940s work for Novelty, Farrel, Fox, Jason, etc., or even his earliest work for Charlton , in 1953-54. The only decently-drawn stories are the Hoppy Bunny and Willie The Worm stories that had been drawn by Grosskopf at Fawcett, several years earlier.  I haven't met any Funny Animal fans who like Charlton's Atomic Mouse, Atomic Rabbit, or Atom The Cat stories drawn since Fago's first couple years with Charlton.  And I NEVER liked any of the Charlton stories. It is all crankout pablum, extremely weak copies of what was selling to the younger children's market in that industry (Mighty Mouse, Dennis The Menace, Casper The Friendly Ghost, and Little Lulu).
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.