in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group # 267 Some Freddy Fly Uploads

Pages: [1] 2 3

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group # 267 Some Freddy Fly Uploads  (Read 3785 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Reading Group # 267 Some Freddy Fly Uploads
« on: March 21, 2022, 02:57:04 AM »

Something a bit different today.

I always look at the 'latest comics' panel and have been looking at Freddy Fly's latest, and thought,
lets give Freddy some credit for his good work and hear what some of us think about the books he regularly uploads to enrich CB+. 

Here is the list of Freddy's contributions.
https://comicbookplus.com/?cbplus=contributor_freddyfly_s_s_0 

Comics on Parade 027
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=82410

Since Robb is currently quite busy, here's a 'funny animal' book  which was uploaded by Freddy.

Thanks Freddy for all your hard work. 

Coo Coo Comics 13
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=46985&comicpage=&b=i

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group # 267 Some Freddy Fly Uploads
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 01:55:04 AM »

Freddy has uploaded a LOT of comic books I had been hoping to find for many years, and I'm very grateful for his hard work.  And it is a rare treat for me to review a Funny Animal comic.  And, I cant blame you for choosing this Coo Coo Comic book, because you just picked one of Freddys uploads at random.  Unfortunately, and just bad luck, (at least, for me), THIS one is just about my LEAST favourite of the 62 Coo Coo Comics issues.  This issue has NO stories in it drawn by my favourite Sanger Studio artists, and no memorable stories (based on my own personal taste, of course).  The only feature which has a main character who I (at least sometimes) like, (drawn by an artist I, at least sometimes like) SuperMouse, by Milt Stein, is one of the weaker, less interesting, and less funny (to me) stories.  I will admit that this is all a matter of personal taste,  I realise that for most of the readers on this thread, the differences between this book and my favourite Coo Coo issue wouldn't matter in the slightest.  Still, and all, I find it not as enjoyable for me as it could be.  But, I may learn something from reviewing these stories that I don't like, and artwork I don't enjoy much.  I would have picked one with artwork from technically better artists like Ken Hultgren, Jack Bradbury, Lynn Karp, Jim Tyer, Don R. Christensen, Al Hubbard, Gil Turner, Bob Wickersham, Ray Patin, Don Gunn, Preston Blair, Jim Davis, Don Gunn, Ken Champin, Hawley Pratt, Manny Perez, Harris Steinbrook, Owen Fitzgerald.  I like the artwork of MOST of the Sangor Studio artists.  But this book is filled by stories from Carl Wessler (whose work I can't stand), and similar for that of Tony Loeb, and whoever "Big Shorty" is).     
I am lukewarm about Sam Weissman's and Rube Grossman's artwork, but their work in this book is far from their best.  And I don't see any stories I really like in this issue.  The SuperMouse story is drawn in Milt Stein's style from that period, but the story is rather weak, and not funny to me, but it does have some of his typical zany scenes.

However, I will be a good sport, and review these stories like a dedicated editor of a Funny Animal Comics publisher.  Luckily, my schedule is easing up a bit.  So, of course, I will also review this fortnights "Comics On Parade" issue, as well, despite being disappointed that the L'il Abner, Tarzan, and Nancy are missing, due to copyright laws.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 01:53:55 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 07:25:28 PM »

I'll start with a review of The Coo Coo #13 issue, because Funny Animal Comics are my hobby and my trade, as well:
SuperMouse (Artwork by Milt Stein, Storywriting by Richard Hughes)
SuperMouse Better/Nedor/Standard's funny animal superhero, started in comic books BEFORE Paul Terry's Mighty Mouse.  Interesting that Terry's mouse superhero appeared in one cartoon film with the name of "Super Mouse", before he changed his name to "Mighty Mouse", because Ned Pines had copyrighted "Super Mouse" before Terry.

This "SuperMouse" story is typical of Hughes' "SuperMouse" stories during Coo Coo's early years, including a fairytale atmosphere, an adventure in a foreign land, fighting evil villains, and even includes a quest to bring back a prize that is needed back in his home town, requested of him by his ladyfriend.  It also includes the zany action panels typical of this early period in Stein's career.

Interesting, that for THIS story, Hughes has SuperMouse's favourite pastime being sleeping (ostensibly because that dovetails in well with that trait, because it uses the copout cliche of all being a dream).

Unfortunately, the story isn't all that interesting, wandering all over the place (away from the main plotline) and the villains aren't believable as being all that dangerous. Its zany action panels aren't nearly as good and funny as Stein's best, and the story is too ordinary and cliched.   And worse yet, the typical cop-out used for stories that are too unbelievable even for fantasy fans, the "waking up from a dream" cliche, was used. 

SuperMouse is hijacked out of his sleep by his ladyfriend (Anabelle Mouse), to travel to a tropical African land, to find the "Whiffenpoof Orchid", to cure her aunt of a disease that has made her act crazily.  Once there, SuperMouse's bragging that eating his "Supercheese", which makes him strong, will allow him to defeat anyone in a fight.  The Lion, King of The Jungle hears about that, and challenges SuperMouse, to a "fight to the death". And SuperMouse has lost his cheese.  Of course, after almost losing, he gets his cheese back, and after defeating The King, beats up all of the former's soldiers and friends in a giant brawl.  When "Soupie" and Anabelle return, and offer the "cure" to her aunt, she refuses, saying she likes to act crazily.  Hughes has written much better stories for "Soupie", which were also much funnier, and much more interesting.

Archie Pelican (Artwork by Carl Wessler(signed: Wess), Storywriting (possibly by Wessler, or Richard Hughes)
I've had this book for many years, but hadn't read it since my second reading, not long after I got it.  This story's art is not up to the standards I like best (e.g. Disney, WB, MGM, Walter Lantz, Walt Kelly, and the best of Sangor's artists), and it is very stylised (like Wessler's main style).  But his drawing for this story has its own special "cutesy" charm, and the story, although simple in plot, by most of the stories "written" in storyboard drawing form by animators, who didn't really know how to write "literature" yet, in the earliest days of comic book story writers, and driven by physical gags and action, is quite charming.  It's the best story drawn (and possibly written) by Wessler, that I can remember, off the top of my head, despite the expected ending and ending gag.

Baseball Benny (Artwork by Tom Golden) (Storywriting possibly by Tom Golden or Richard Hughes)
The artwork on this story is also very stylised, but technically better than that of Wessler, in my opinion, but still not a style I enjoy as much as The Disney/WB/MGM/Lantz/Best of Sangor calibre.  Although with a typical simple plot, for 1944, of a braggart lucking into preserving the covering up of his fib, this is probably an above average story, in that the expected twist ending has an added element.  He thought he was completely safe in keeping everyone from knowing he really wasn't the famous baseball player, only to pretend to the REAL Baseball Benny, and be embarrassed when the authentic Benny drives off in Benny's car.  So, ostensibly, the braggart should learn his lesson.

Squeaks McCarthy (Artwork by "Big Shorty" unnamed animation artist?)(storywriter unknown - possibly Richard Hughes?)
Kind of an interesting idea, making a comedy character out of a sound.  Squeaks McCarthy is the incarnation of a squeaky sound, and he inhabits peoples footwear, making noises when they walk.  He attacks Bud Heely's shoe repair shop, driving the owner mad. After being threatened by Heely, challenged Squeaks breaks into the shop at night, but is rejected, kicked, and generally treated badly by the shoes onhand. So he decides to reform, and become a constructive person, and ends up making noise to attract attention on 2 bank robbers, combining with Bud Heely to get them caught. They split the reward from The Police, and Squeaks decides to join the police force.  A "cutesy" fluff story, but it is a clever idea, and well-paced, well-crafted 6-pager.  The artwork is decent, but below average related to the bulk of Sangor's animators' relatively high standards.

Snubby Squirrel (Artwork by Sam Weissman) (Storywriter unknown - possibly Richard Hughes?)
A 3-Page story that was apparently inspired by heavy deadlines and a need to write and draw as many pages as quickly as possible in the highly underpaid field of comic book production during the early 1940s.  The artwork is simpler than Weissman's usual quality, and the so-called story is totally silly, and not inventive at all.  It seems that the writer thought it up as he went along in about 20 seconds.  It is poking fun at dangerous criminals and making fun of the police, for arresting someone who passed through a red traffic light, and put him into a striped prison uniform.  He had entered his cell with 2 large bags of money he ostensibly robbed from a bank, has them taken away by his big, brutal, dangerous cellmate. He and the dangerous criminal escape, flying out through their barred window just by singing "If I Had The Wings Of An Angel".  The criminal didn't even take the money bags with him.  The whole story reads like a chain of Vaudeville gags, from a so-called writer who wanted to get paid for a couple minutes' work.  The artist put little effort into his part, as well.  The Marquee character, Snubby Squirrel, looks nothing like a squirrel (especially having no tail and whose face resembles a cat).

Daffy Brothers (Artwork by Tony Loeb) (Storywriter unknown - possibly Richard Hughes?)
The Daffy Brothers, would-be furniture movers, Drippy, Droopy, and Drowsy, seem to be takeoffs on The Marx Brothers, with some Laurel and Hardy thrown in.  They are certified imbeciles who remove every piano from a large apartment building, and end up riding one of the pianos into a river.  It's basically a storyboarding of a plotless cartoon short, composed of physical gags strung together.  The artwork is by one of Sangor's weakest artists.

Gran'pa Scotty (Artwork by Rube Grossman) (Storywriter unknown - possibly Richard Hughes?) Rube Grossman's artwork on this one is a bit lower than average for him, but one of the two best drawn stories in this book.  The know-it-all grandfather tells his grandsons the mountain climbing contest they want to join is too dangerous, but sets out to climb the mount himself, and win the prize money.  Much of the 8-Page story is taken up by his struggles with a mountain goat, who wants vengeance against him for using his horns as pitons or a rope holder for his climbing.  When he finally reaches the top, he sees his grandsons and other kids picknicking on the summit.  The civic leader/ladies club sponsor offers him an insulting consolation (booby) prize of a nickel, so his hard work getting up there won't be in vein.  It's nice just for the artwork, and the story is mildly entertaining (typical early '40s funny animal fare, mostly physical gags).

Overall Book
As I haven't read it for years, it was a pleasant enough experience.  And upon critiquing it from an editor's standpoint, it held up as perhaps a little worse than average funny animal work for 1944.  But,it is still one of my least favourite Coo Coo Comics.  Not one of these so-called stories would get past my current editors.  But that would be true of most 1940-1944 US or Canadian funny animal stories from that period.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 05:36:56 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 11:41:53 AM »

Looking forward to reading these soon. By the way, whom does gregjh need to threaten and intimidate to get a chance to select the reading corner comics one week soon?  ;D
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 04:50:44 PM »

Looking forward to reading these soon. By the way, whom does gregjh need to threaten and intimidate to get a chance to select the reading corner comics one week soon?  ;D

Hi Greg,
You are welcomed to have my next slot (which is either coming one after this, or the one after that).  Panther will inform us which it is.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 10:19:58 PM »

Gentlemen,
I would prefer that this kind of correspondence be done by PM. 
As I had not heard directly from Robb, I have already allocated the next choice to KingCat, who has something already prepared.
Gregjh, all you have to do is ask nicely. You can have a slot and I will get back to you about when.   
[Stopped for 10 minutes to do something else between that sentence and the next one]
Greg, you can have my next slot. That will be Monday 4th April.
Cheers!

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 08:58:16 AM »

SuperMouse.  Not sure why It's definitely a dream. Reading the strip before reading the comments, my impression was of an adventure. I hesitate to say "real". Some of the scenes were energetic and daft enough to amuse me a bit. The cheese appealed. There are a few heroes who eat or imbibe something to give them powers.
Archie Pelican was horrible looking.  Put me right off.
I need to re-read the issue before I commit more to paper.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 10:21:46 AM »

My last post was written in haste and somewhat confusing, so to clarify -

The next choice [Monday April 4] will be Gregjh and then KIngcat on Monday April i8th.
There, that's sorted.     
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 10:39:37 AM »

The Australian masked mystery man strikes ;)
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 09:12:33 PM »

Here's my review of Comics on Parade 27:
Tailspin Tommy (Artwork and Storywriting by Hal Forrest)
This is an on-going serialised adventure story taken from a United Features newspaper (Sunday?) strip, reformatted for comic books. Having started reading in the late 1940s, but reading lots of comics which were issued during the early 1940s, I read a lot of books containing episodic serialised stories from newspapers, and also newly-created for the comic books, but made to look like the newspaper serials. And I hated jumping into the middle of stories, and not seeing how they ended. But, luckily for us, this episode is a complete, self contained short story, with 4 pages containing about 50 panels of artwork, which is the equivalent of 8 pages of 3-tiers each. It's a decent amount of room for a short story or episode, the only drawback is that the images are half the size of the 6-panel pages in the comic books of the early 1940s. Transporting a tiger in a small airplane's cabin, and having the animal break out of its cage, is an interesting scenario. The artwork is good, and the story had a good plot, good pacing, good use of suspense, and a good ending. It held my interest. The action scenes of the maneuvers of the plane, and the tiger were good. It is very representative of episodes from the "Tailspin Tommy" strip, most of which I've read over the years.

I also enjoyed the model plans for the Berliner-Joyce XF3J US Navy fighter plane.

Jasper (Drawn and Written by Frank Owen)
Benign, average-type comic cartoons based on a single character trait theme. I think the sameness would get old quickly.  I don't remember having seen this in our Winnipeg or Chicago newspapers.

How It Began/Twice Told Tales (Drawn by Paul Berdaner)
Excellent artwork, and interesting information.

The Captain and The Kids (Artwork and writing by Rudolph Dirks)
Another United Features newspaper (Sunday?) strip. Here we get the problem of jumping into the middle of a story. I've always enjoyed the artwork (especially that of Rudy Dirks) of "The Katzenjammer Kids" and "The Captain and The Kids", but wasn't all that impressed by the mostly action-driven plotlines (if you could call them that) and sameness of these scenarios (which are difficult to think of as stories). But this grouping of newspaper strips into an "episode/scenario", is actually a decent "story", with a real-World basic type of plot, which includes a circus manager/ringmaster/MC becoming jealous of Godfrey, the featured acrobat, who is having a romantic dalliance with the young, beautiful female circus owner(Viola Smeercase). Being a an unsympathetic/non-empathetic sociopath, this circus manager (Ralph Weezil) arranges Godfrey's murder, by ordering him to perform his act without a safety net. But, his effort is thwarted by The K. Kids, when one of them pulls Weezil's arm when he aims to shoot his bow's arrow with a large scissors on its head at the rope upon which Godfrey walks. Although a serious adult-themed basic plot, it is, of course, farcical, and played only for laughs (reminiscent of The Marx Brothers). So, Weezil tries to kill The K. Kids (who act as midgets in their circus act) by having The K. Kids place their entire bodies inside the largest lion's mouth (topping the lion trainer's only putting his head inside), and throwing pepper in the lion's face, causing his reflexes to make him bite down.  But, instead, he sneezes The Kids out of his mouth. Soon, Godfrey and Viola are engaged to be married.  Weezil vows to kill Godfrey.  He meets Edward J. Eevil, the evil clown, who teams up with Weezil, who says he has the perfect plan to get rid of The Kids. This book's episode leaves off at a great suspense point, Weezil buys a giant, very mean gorilla.

So, this episode of "The Captain and The Kids" is one of the most enjoyable storylike collection of strips of these characters (including the previous "K. Kids") I have ever read.  Of course I love the classic poetic stories of The 19th Century's Plattdeutsch children's book author, Wilhelm Busch, whose favourite bad boys, Max und Moritz, provided the inspiration for Dirks to create Hans und Fritz, "The Katzenjammer Kids", in 1897.  I love Busch's fabulous engraving-style inking, and his mid 19th Century style of warning mischievious children that their bad behaviour will be punished severely. I was introduced to Busch's work when I resided in Bremen during the first half of the 1990s. Most of his children's stories give an insight into the old adult mindset of "Spare the rod, and spoil the child", which, almost 100 years later, still ruled supreme in Europe, when I was growing up.

Looy Dot Dope (Artwork by Bernard Dibble)
Apparently another German-American comic strip based on a narrow theme. These gags were mildly amusing.  Having read a lot of them over the years in United Features comic books, I found them uneven on average, with some being decently funny, but most slightly boring, or too much the same basic premise.

Ella Cinders (Artwork by Bill Conselman) (Writing by Charlie Plumb)
I must say that I've never really cared much for the "Ella Cinders" newspaper strip. We jump into the middle of an ongoing story in this episode. It seems to have a lot of repetition, which make it look like these panels were taken from daily strips of 4 or 5 panels, rather than whole or half-page Sunday strips. There is also shading in panels, and residue from whiting out shading that supports that conclusion.  This is also an interesting on-going plot and scenario, that Ella's father, who left her unsympathetic, mean mother, and took on a false identity to "hide" from her.  He has returned to USA to get some sort of identity "makeover" at a service that specialises in such things, which may, or may not include cosmetic plastic surgery. He discovers that Ella works there, and unluckily, his estranged wife runs it. Ella warns him, and tells him she wants to leave, as her mother mistreats her terribly. She tells her father to hide in the laundry chute.  Ma Cinders discovers that one of her workers has been sending clean laundry down the chute, as the 3rd/last page ends.

It seems to be a decent basic plot that holds my interest. It is well-drawn. I do have enough interest in it to find the issue before and after, and read the entire story, some day when I have free time.

Dynamite Dunn
Dunn is a championship-level professional boxer. This comic book "episode", consists of just 3 pages (probably 3 Sunday strip pages). Interesting that the author brought in Jack Dempsey, a real US and international champion boxer, to referee a championship bout between the lead character and another fictional boxer. I suppose he had to get Dempsey and his agent's permission to do so, including their first look and approval of strips including him, and possibly for a fee paid by United Features. I think that switching two identical twins in and out, getting rest while fighting one man (tiring him out), so almost sure they should win, is a brilliant idea for a comic story.

Unbelivable But True Drawn by Frank N. Ernest (obvious writer nom-de-plume-implying that these are, indeed, all true)
Decent artwork, and interesting information.  I've always wondered if some of the unbelievable events were simply made up to fill in the need for more than the researchers could dig up.  I found the Ted Williams hitting a home run into the freight train interesting, as the ball then was carried some few hundred miles further, making it "the furthest travelling home run in US Organised Baseball history". I wondered if that really happened. I wasn't quite born yet in the late 1930s, and I'm sure that a journalistic article describing an event in a US minor league baseball game wouldn't, in any case, have gotten printed in a Canadian newspaper.

The Young Idear (Artwork and writing by Opdyk)
Having 4 to 5 year olds behave like adults can be funny and interesting for a handful of one or two-panel jokes.  So, that strip had already shot its wad for many newspaper comics readers after one or two days.

The Boomers(Drawn by Dick Richards)
Here, we also are thrown into the middle of an ongoing story. A ghost haunting a resort hotel sounds like a good premise for a comic strip or comic book serialised episodic format. We readers don't get enough of this story in these 3 pages to judge whether or not tha author's portrayal of the mystery is worthy or not. Of note, is the "black-faced", cartoony, portrayal of an African-American early teenager and adult, which certainly would be considered racist. The artwork is generally good, but nothing special.

Little Mary Mixup (Artwork and Storywriting by R.M. Brinkerhof)
Again, we are thrown into the middle of a story, and this time, in only 2 pages, we don't see enough to make much of a judgement.  At least  the artwork is very good, and there is suspense at the end, making us hope to read next month's issue, to find out if Mary's pig wins the prize, and if she sells him for $100.

Danny Dingle (Artwork by Bernard Dibble)
This is drawn in a common cartoony style, at an average level of competence.  It is heavily dialogue-based, and heavy on gags, rather than a complex story line. There is not enough on the 2 pages to judge whether or not I would enjoy reading the strip regularly. But, I didn't find these 2 pages very amusing. The jokes are too obvious, and expected.  I liked the artist's (Bernard Dibble's) "Hawkshaw The Detective" newspaper strip, better.

Broncho Bill (Artwork and Storywriting by Harry O'Neill)
It seems that we've already reviewed The "Broncho Bill" strip when review a different comic book series.  I remember having read this cattle rustling mystery story with Bull Redmond. O'Neill's artwork is top notch, as usual, and the story is a good one.  We can tell that this has been reformatted for comic books, as the suspense points at the end of each page are not very good, but, I'm guessing they were a lot better in the daily newspaper strip.

Cynical Susie (Artwork by Bernard Dibble)
This is quite a bit more cartoony than Dibble's normal style. As usual, the artwork is very good.  Wow!  Susie finds giant footprints, gets a scientist/professor to look at them, and ends up shooting upwards towards leaving The earth in a rocket spaceship, ALL on one Sunday comic strip page!!! This is one feature in this book that I'd like to see the next page.  I wonder why this one got only one?

Abbie An' Slats (Artwork and Storywriting by Raeburn van Buren)
And yet, this strip (whose artwork is excellent, and yet, I never cared about reading it), gets 5 full pages. It is difficult, jumping into the middle of this complex story, which I have never read.  The first narrative doesn't give us much to go on, IF this story is completely new to us. However, this episode certainly ends at a super suspense point, with Slats having contracted a deadly Chinese plague, and the very doctors who were working on creating a vaccine for it, spirit him away as a guinea pig "prisoner", with the goal of creating a vaccine that can save the lives of a big portion of that state's people, and possibly that of are large portion of the entire nation's population.  Does this all sound timely and familiar?  What a weird coincidence!

Billy Make Believe (Drawn and Written by H.E. Homan)
This is one of common form "Walter Mitty" types of series starring little boys who dream of going on adventures.  It reminds me of "Giles" from ACG's "Giggle Comics", who daydreams himself into bizarre and fantastic adventures, and John Stanley's "Peterkin Pottle", who does the same.  From just the one and 3/4 pages, it appears that this should be an interesting story, with Billy hooking up with a wandering old man with a trained bear, and the 3 of them chased by the police. 

Overall Assessment
Luckily, CB+ has all the Comics on Parade issues from #21 through #29, so we can read the previous and following issues to read the complete stories or story scenarios of most (if not all) of the on-going stories contained in this book.  Both of these books were worth reading, and I got a lot of entertainment out of them, and learned a little more about the history of The US comic book industry, during the years just before I was born.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 10:49:52 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2022, 05:25:06 AM »

Comics On Parade #27

Tailspin Tommy - So a company wants their tiger mascot flown, but they don't have a handler accompany the tiger??? Feels like the writer wanted a tiger on the plane to cause a problem, but didn't think too much about the set-up. Otherwise okay.

Jasper - Okay gag panels.

How It Began/Twice Told Tales - Okay, but nothing special. I wonder if this artist was ever inspired to try something different with his art or if it was all plain, simple storytelling?

The Captain And The Kids - Today Hans und Fritz guest star in a Hairbreadth Harry strip! Hard to believe this was once The Katzenjammer Kids. The kids propensity for causing trouble having devolved into them simply foiling plans and the main plot feels swiped from an old Hollywood movie. Otherwise okay.

Looy Dot Dope - Cute.

Ella Cinders - A whole world of places for Pa Cinders to change his appearance and he just happens to pick the one run by his wife? Yeahhhhhhhh...

Dynamite Dunn - Turning the lights off to switch out twin fighters? Yeahhhhh...

The Young Idear - Ummmm... okayyy...

The Boomers - Decades later this plot could have been used in a lame sitcom.

Little Mary Mixup - Can't say it encouraged me to read any other installments.

Danny Dingle - Amusing.

Broncho Bill - Okay.

Cynical Susie - Okay.

Abbie an' Slats - Deadly germs from China? Doctors behaving in questionable ways about it? When was this written???

Billy Make-Believe - I'm not impressed.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2022, 12:06:25 AM »

I thought I'd try to do the decent thing and comment on this week's comics, but I've found it really hard to warm to the Panther's choices - with the exception of the Freddy Fly uploads list, to which I can only genuflect in the face of his mightiness and utter the phrase "we're not worthy!" repeatedly. ;)

Comics on Parade seems to be a collection of syndicated newspaper comic sections slapped together and coloured, and consequently all the artwork was designed to be printed much larger than it appears here. As a result, almost all the art comes across as over-fussy and over-shaded. And since only one or two reprints feature stand-alone stories, there's nothing you can "get into" without reading preceding issues.

For me only the Abbie & Slats art stands out, at the other end of the spectrum the Young Idear art is excruciatingly ghastly, as are the punchlines. Rudy Dirks' art which I enjoy so much in his pages featuring The Captain as well as the Kids, appears woefully inadequate when in another context.

And then there's Coo Coo Comics, and the Panther has hit my Achilles heel with unerring accuracy. Apologies to Robb_K but I just can't do "funny animal" comics. I take his word that this isn't representative of the genre at its best, but even then I find it makes as little sense to me as superhero comics probably do to him. Even the superhero mouse story doesn't hang together.  First he's got his cheese then he hasn't, then it makes another animal super, then he's got it again, and none of it actually seems "funny," just bizarre. And the art in Archie Pelican (what kind of a name is that? Is it meant to reference Archipelago? And if so, why?) is very unappealing to say the least. No, sorry guys, I can't even dredge up the motivation to read this all the way through.

Maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly,  perhaps I just have very limited tastes and very little patience,  but these are my feelings. If I've offended anyone, please accept my apologies, I'll try to do better next time. :-[

ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2022, 05:04:08 AM »

Hey Kingcat, you are who you are, and like all of us, you are unique. You are entitled to your own judgement and opinion, as is anybody who chooses to comment here, providing they use decent language and respect the  opinions of all the other posters.
Don't assume that everything I choose is done because I think its 'the bees kness'.
My thought in doing the Reading Group was to open it up as wide as possible and bring whats hiding in nooks and crannies on CB+ to light. And has has happened before, sometimes my choices generate only a luke-warm response.
One of the ruling axioms in my life is Theodore Sturgeon's  '90% of everything is crap'. I believe that he meant that to be understood in reverse, 'Less than 10% of everything is truly excellent. "
Sometimes you need to shovel a lot of manure before you find the pony. But its always worth it.
Sharing the reading group with you and Robb, Scrounge, Paw, Greg and others has broadened my horizons too. Lets see, is that enough cliches?
Cheers!   

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2022, 05:28:01 AM »

I thought I'd try to do the decent thing and comment on this week's comics, but I've found it really hard to warm to the Panther's choices.

Comics on Parade seems to be a collection of syndicated newspaper comic sections slapped together and coloured, and consequently all the artwork was designed to be printed much larger than it appears here. As a result, almost all the art comes across as over-fussy and over-shaded. And since only one or two reprints feature stand-alone stories, there's nothing you can "get into" without reading preceding issues.

And then there's Coo Coo Comics, and the Panther has hit my Achilles heel with unerring accuracy. Apologies to Robb_K but I just can't do "funny animal" comics. I take his word that this isn't representative of the genre at its best, but even then I find it makes as little sense to me as superhero comics probably do to him. Even the superhero mouse story doesn't hang together.  First he's got his cheese then he hasn't, then it makes another animal super, then he's got it again, and none of it actually seems "funny," just bizarre. And the art in Archie Pelican (what kind of a name is that? Is it meant to reference Archipelago? And if so, why?) is very unappealing to say the least. No, sorry guys, I can't even dredge up the motivation to read this all the way through.

Maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly,  perhaps I just have very limited tastes and very little patience,  but these are my feelings. If I've offended anyone, please accept my apologies, I'll try to do better next time. :-

Those criticisms of stories in the Coo Coo issue are exactly the same as those I made, stating that this was just about my least favourite of the 62 Coo Coo issues. Richard Hughes wrote several really weak stories for SuperMouse during the earlier part of his run.  But, even the later stories that had less storywriting errors weren't very good.  But, at least some had some funny ideas and interesting splash panels by the artist Milt Stein.  Even the great Disney artist, Jack Bradbury, drew a few SuperMouse stories.  Like you, I think Carl Wessler's "Archie Pelican's" artwork is bloody awful.  Wessler's artwork is my least favourite, by far, of the Sangor Studio artists.  The distorted faces and figures could give little kids nightmares.  ;D

On the whole, I just read Funny Animal Comics because I like to look at the great cartoon art, and the funny animal genre is nostalgic for me, as it was our main media entertainment in the late 1940s and early 1950s (our "TV", so to speak), as we had no TV in the 1940s, and precious few programs were shown in the early 1950s when many families still had no television set in their homes. Comic books were a major entertainment, in evenings, or on blizzard days when they couldn't go outside, for little kids who had finished their school homework, and weren't playing board games, or listening to the radio.  I loved the cartoon artwork from animated films and comic books (which were something kids could collect, and read over and over, at a time when people didn't have copies of films at home they could play on their TV screens). I was introduced to reading by being read the great Donald Duck stories of Carl Barks, which are about real people who have the same hopes and dreams, strengths , weaknesses, and foibles as the people we know in our own lives. They just happen to be drawn to look like crossbreeds of animals and Humans. To me, that was funny at 3 years old.  But by age 7 or so, I ignored that, and just read Barks' stories knowing that the characters were really people, and Barks wrote very funny, but often adventurous, or tragic stories, but basically, making fun of human nature.

I'm actually surprised the very "cartoony" style of Dirks' Katzenjammer Kids didn't put you off the same way funny animals do, as those rubbery bodies and distorted faces are almost as unreal as funny animal figures.  I admit that I am prejudiced against Superhero stories being an entire genre, because they are always the same basic plot (with only small differences).  Or, IF they tell a story worth telling about the hero which the reader can identify in his or her own life, I generally feel that the "superhero" element is then not a necessary element in that story. If it had been a few times used innovative story idea, I would have been fine with it.  But I started reading comics in the late 1940s, when many of the used comics on the used comics bargain shelves where my grandfather bought me lots of 5 cent comics, seemed like they were 80% superhero/action-based semi-realistic human-figure comics. That was the same for my 4 older male first cousins, whose families lived either in our house, or the house above us, or next door, and whose family stacks of used comics I had access, and whose funny animal and cartoony human comedy comics became mine after a couple years, when they tired of them (they weren't collectors, but I was). 

I ended up, by accident, through my being a fan and collector, and drawing Disney characters as best I could in The Barks style, becoming a Disney comics storywriter and artist, which I've been doing for 40 years.

I do like good realistic human figure artwork, and did read Western, detective/mystery, science fiction, "Classics Illustrated" comics, as well, and, of course, comedy comics, especially with cartoony human figured characters, although I did like some with semi-realistic human figures, IF their stories were well-written, clever and funny, like John Stanley's "Henry Aldrich" (although I hated most of the "teen Humour" comics, that weren't funny, at all, to me).  War/Military comics were hit or miss for me. They had to have well-written real stories about real people for me to bother with them. To me comic books were an escape from the not-so-nice part of life.  And violence and people being mean and cruel to others wasn't entertainment for me, as The Nazis murdered about half of my extended family, and I grew up my first 18 years with concentration camp survivors and displaced persons living in our house.

We all have our different tastes for different reasons, and that's one of the things that make life interesting.  No need to apologise for what you like and don't like. We all can learn from each other, as we all have had different experiences, and look upon things with different eyes. I've been turned onto a bunch of great British comedy strips by Paw, and gotten insights into good and bad ways of story structuring by Panther, Crash, Andrew, Scrounge, Bowers, Captain Audio, and others, and learned about some animation artists from Electricmastro and others. I can provide some insight into editors' thinking and policies, and animation artists and studio history. I'm sure you have a lot to contribute from your end, too. This is a great place to learn more about comic books from the old days. We're glad you're contributing to this forum regardless of which genres of comics you like or don't like.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 04:47:58 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2022, 08:42:00 AM »

The Captain and The Kids.  Initially flicked through this story thinking that I hated the art and the figures.  But something got into my head about it and I went back and read it properly. 
The clown was the epitome of malevolence for me.  The nasty, moustache twirling ringmaster (how I wished he'd actually twirled it!) was entertaining as scheming loser.  I couldn't understand why the Kids were referred to as midgets.  Perhaps it's explained in a previous episode.  The figures of Viola and Godfrey were unpleasant looking. The Kids seemed funny and appealing. 
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2022, 04:07:00 PM »

The Captain and The Kids.  Initially flicked through this story thinking that I hated the art and the figures.  But something got into my head about it and I went back and read it properly. 
The clown was the epitome of malevolence for me.  The nasty, moustache twirling ringmaster (how I wished he'd actually twirled it!) was entertaining as scheming loser.  I couldn't understand why the Kids were referred to as midgets.  Perhaps it's explained in a previous episode.  The figures of Viola and Godfrey were unpleasant looking. The Kids seemed funny and appealing.

The Kids had run away and joined the circus in an earlier episode. The Ringmaster's nastiness had made the real midgets' act's midgets quit that circus because of that. The Ringmaster told The Kids they could join the circus by playing the parts of the midgets in the midget's act. Fritz, who would have to play the part of the wife, rebelled, and The Kids started to leave.  The Ringmaster kidnapped them, and threatened to do something terrible to the young, beautiful, female circus owner IF they would run away.  So, they grudgingly stayed on and performed the midgets' act.  Admittedly that's all pretty unbelievable, but The K. Kids were light comedy, so realism was usually a low priority, anyway.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2022, 04:38:07 PM »

Paw, I know you appreciate high quality inking paper-drawn cartoon art.  I'm sure you'd appreciate the fine art of Wilhelm Busch, who wrote and drew the Max und Moritz stories in Germany, in 1865, which inspired Dirks to create Hans und Fritz, The Katzenjammer Kids, in 1897. 

Here is a coloured later printing of a page from "Max Und Moritz's Seven Pranks":

I still have a 300-page, old early 1900s reprint edition of most of Wilhelm Busch's poems and stories in German language (with a slight Hanoverian Plattdeutsch dialectical flavour to it) using the old Kaiser's era print font style, given to me as a gift by friends, for my 45th birthday, back in 1990 when I resided in Bremen. The illustration plates are black and white in that one, just as the originals were. I would have posted the black and white version, as his inks are more impressive without the colour superimposed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 04:43:02 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2022, 06:29:00 PM »

Thank you Robb both for the explanation and the nudge towards Herr Busch.  I'll follow that up. ;D
I'm reminded by their antics of the Herge' strip Quick et Flupke, but that was in the '30's. 
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2022, 11:23:11 PM »

And my thanks to Robb_K and the Australian Panther for making me feel slightly better about being a curmudgeonly old cuss. If you want another cliche, how about "it wouldn't do if we were all the same!"  :)

Cheers, guys.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2022, 01:02:56 AM »

Thank you Robb both for the explanation and the nudge towards Herr Busch.  I'll follow that up. ;D
I'm reminded by their antics of the Herge' strip Quick et Flupke, but that was in the '30's.

Yes, there were several cartoonist who were inspired by Busch's "Max und Moritz", to "invent" another pair of 2 over-mischievious boys, who terrorize their local adults with their pranks.  I had never known there were English language translations of his works, but as my book is in my flat in Munich, and I'm not there, I needed to find one on The Internet, and Lo and behold, it was a deluxe colour, English translation! 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 01:15:53 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2022, 01:19:40 AM »

Paw, I know you appreciate high quality inking paper-drawn cartoon art.  I'm sure you'd appreciate the fine art of Wilhelm Busch, who wrote and drew the Max und Moritz stories in Germany, in 1865, which inspired Dirks to create Hans und Fritz, The Katzenjammer Kids, in 1897.

Busch's Max and Moritz is considered the first example of the modern comic strip. Would be nice to have some here on CB+.
Also, as many of us know,  Katzenjammer Kids  became two strips, the other being 'Captain and the Kids' 
From Don Markstein's "Toonopedia? 
THE KATZENJAMMER KIDS
https://www.toonopedia.com/katzen.htm
   Many comics historians consider The Katzenjammer Kids, by Rudolph Dirks, and not Richard Outcault's The Yellow Kid, the first true newspaper comic strip  in America. Unlike the Outcault work, it started out featuring the technique of telling a story in a sequence of panels; and with F.B. Opper's Happy Hooligan leading the way, was also an early user of the word balloon. Whatever the case, The Katzenjammer Kids is not only a long-lasting and, at times, very funny strip.  it's also an important one historically.

For many years, it was believed the strip was simply an imitation of an earlier work, Wilhelm Busch's Max und Moritz, which, since 1865, had entertained readers in Germany and later throughout the world. More recent research by comics scholar Alfredo Castelli has unearthed documents showing that in reality, the Hearst organization legitimately licensed Busch's creation. in fact, it appeared under its original name in German-language editions of Hearst's New York Journal.

In any case, Dirks, himself a German-born American, was familiar with the work, and when given the assignment by art director Rudolph Block, had no trouble pitting a pair of incorrigibly mischievous brothers against an older generation poorly equipped to handle their amazingly destructive antics, with "Mama" practically blind to their true nature. This was all done to the tune of a densely German-like patois that was probably a bit too ethnic to be published today. The Sunday page first appeared on December 12, 1897.

To my surprise, Dennis Gifford, in his otherwise excellent book on the comic strip, did not seem to be aware of Wilhelm Busch since he didn't mention him.
I was exposed to the Katzenjammer Kids at a very early age when I visited my [German/Australian ] Grandfather, who I now realize was a closet comic strip fan - go figure!
But I have to say, the strip never really appealed to me.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 10:21:08 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2022, 11:29:16 PM »

This was all done to the tune of a densely German-like patois that was probably a bit too ethnic to be published today.

Yes, it does sometimes make me wonder how unconsciously racist I am for enjoying the Captain & The Kids on CB+ ???
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2022, 12:35:58 AM »

Nothing to do with Racism! But I always felt that the  pranks of the Katzenjammer Kids were at times quite cruel and sadistic and weren't funny.
And that was for some reason, at that time not an uncomment element in some German culture at that time.
The iconic example is Struelpeter [ Actually Translates as 'Shock-headed' or 'Shaggy-haired' Peter'-obvious from the image.] an English translation of which we have on CB+
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=76904
Slovenly Peter
The 19th-Century Book of Horrors That Scared German Kids Into Behaving.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/original-struwwelpeter-illustrations-childrens-moral-lesson-book.
Postscript.
I can be seriously slow in making connections - in this case by a few years.
Just realized that Alan Moore used Struelpeter as a template for one of the cops in Top10. Of course he did.
The character is called Shockheaded Pete. D'oh!     

ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2022, 01:04:47 AM »

I always thought the Katzenjammer Kids were Dutch.
Only German I knew personally was a tall slender red haired knockout who looked a bit like Verushka. She had the most sexy voice you can imagine. Unfortunately she passed away at an early age due to cancer.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2022, 01:56:01 AM »

Busch's Max and Moritz is considered the first example of the modern comic strip. Would be nice to have some here on CB+.
Also, as many of us know,  Katzenjammer Kids  became two strips, the other being 'Captain and the Kids' 
From Don Markstein's "Toonopedia? 
THE KATZENJAMMER KIDS
https://www.toonopedia.com/katzen.htm
   Many comics historians consider The Katzenjammer Kids, by Rudolph Dirks, and not Richard Outcault's The Yellow Kid, the first true newspaper comic strip  in America.

For many years, it was believed the strip was simply an imitation of an earlier work, Wilhelm Busch's Max und Moritz, which, since 1865, had entertained readers in Germany and later throughout the world. More recent research by comics scholar Alfredo Castelli has unearthed documents showing that in reality, the Hearst organization legitimately licensed Busch's creation. in fact, it appeared under its original name in German-language editions of Hearst's New York Journal.

In any case, Dirks, himself a German-born American, was familiar with the work, and when given the assignment by art director Rudolph Block, had no trouble pitting a pair of incorrigibly mischievous brothers against an older generation poorly equipped to handle their amazingly destructive antics, with "Mama" practically blind to their true nature. This was all done to the tune of a densely German-like patois that was probably a bit too ethnic to be published today. The Sunday page first appeared on December 12, 1897.

To my surprise, Dennis Gifford, in his otherwise excellent book on the comic strip, did not seem to be aware of Wilhelm Busch since he didn't mention him. 

Thanks for bringing that article to our attention. I had no idea that Pulitzer(owner of The New York World) had licensed use of Busch's material, especially before Dirks' strip had first appeared in 1897.  The article's wording tends to imply that Hearst knew about Busch's work, and thought that a comic strip based on a theme of 2 mischievious boys pulling pranks on a touchy old man (similar to Wilhelm Busch's "Max Und Moritz" stories, would help sell his newspapers. But, I doubt that many people in USA at that time knew of Busch's work.  Even many people in Southern Germany knew little of Busch's work, which was heavily based on the harsh Plattdeutsch (north German) tradition of "Spare the rod and spoil the child", and filled with Plattdeutsch (a different language from Hochdeutsch(national, standard German) sayings and dialectical phrases. 

I've always thought that Dirks, born and raised in his early years in Northern Germany, where Busch's stories were revered as much as folk tales, and read to children as part of their normal upbringing, teaching them that behaving badly leads to bad results for them, chose Busch's "Max und Moritz" as a model for his proposed newspaper strip he would write and draw for The New York World, rather than Hearst (his editor) having that idea, and assigning that job to Dirks.  I would guess that Dirks, an aspiring, young cartoonist, came to The New York World's office asking for cartooning work, and Hearst liked his drawing samples, and asked him to work up a comedy strip.  And Dirks, remembering Busch's funny, action-filled tales and poems from his youth, chose to base his own strip on "Max und Moritz".  I assume that when the paper's editor or owner found out that Dirks' proposed strip was so very much like one of the most famous of a previous artist's works (almost a carbon copy), he decided to license the rights to it, to avoid any massive lawsuits and potential bad publicity.  I doubt that Hearst first discovered Busch's work and thought it might be a great candidate for a comedy newspaper strip, and then advertised for writers and artists to try out for writing and drawing it.

Edit: I have just read an article which states that Dirks' was hired first, and then his editor assigned him the task of coming up with a humourous comic strip to rival "The Yellow Kid".  Dirks, indeed, decided that a new strip based on the pranks of two boys like Busch's "Max und Moritz", played on a highly sensitive adult, who had no patience and no sense of humour should be popular in The USA (whose population had, as of that moment, had no exposure to Busch's work). I assume that either his editor, or the paper's (New York World's) owner, Jozef Pulitzer, decided they should lease the rights (license) to publish a comic strip using characters and stories so close to Busch's work, as to be considered as plagiarism.  And, of course, Dirks, himself, having been born and raised in his youngest period, in northern Germany, on Wilhelm Busch's stories and artwork, was the perfect man for the job of bringing such a strip to The American public.  The bulk of the German immigration to USA had occurred between 1848 and the 1890s, so German Americans played a much bigger part in America's cultural life than they do now.  So, in 1897, lots of Americans were used to hearing heavy German accents, and idiomatic phrases.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 02:01:54 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.