in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #272 Dr. Hypno ( Amazing Man Comics )

Pages: 1 [2] 3

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #272 Dr. Hypno ( Amazing Man Comics )  (Read 3544 times)

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #272 Dr. Hypno ( Amazing Man Comics )
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2022, 01:37:01 PM »

With luck heaven will protect us from a television Doc Savage.
Quite right.

Last night I saw a new series was advertised on a channel I didn't get for a long time till I recently bought a higher quality antenna. It was titled "Tom Swift". I was all primed for a period correct retelling of the Tom Swift adventures. I dosed off before the programme came on and awoke halfway through. After two minutes of watching this tripe, Tom was black and gay no less, I cut off the TV and went back to sleep.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 01:39:02 PM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2022, 12:26:29 AM »

Chris Hemsworth? He tends currently to be mocking KIrby's vision for Thor in his portrayals. The internet gossip has it that in his latest movie he implies that Thor is gay. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he hasn't already been approached to play Doc Savage or Tarzan. I shudder. I have no problem with a character who is created out of whole cloth from the beginning as Gay, just retconning characters who were not, as portrayed by their creators and known by their audiences.

I've come across no news of a gay Thor, though we apparently now have a female one, and as they've outed Loki as bi, I don't know what that would do to their sibling relationship. Honestly I'm looking forward to a movie with Beta Ray Bill. But fond as I am of 'inclusivity,' I do find retconning characters an annoying trait. I was confused when the Tim Burton Batman movie introduced a black Harvey Dent, wondering what would become of Two-Face. As it happens he seemed to carry on being white in comics and movies for some time, but I understand from a friend that Harvey/ Two-Face is now black tho' I can't remember if that's in comics or an animated series.

I realise the modern world only knows a black, non-cigar-smoking Nick Fury, and I've made my peace with that (in spite of Samuel L Jackson's attrocious Octopus!) But I didn't see him leading the Howling Commandos in the first Captain America movie, as he should have been if their history was accurate. I do, however, treasure the original Nick Fury movie with David Hasselhoff for the occasional opportunity to see the stogie-chomping Fury I grew up with!

I see the first Green Lantern, Alan Scott, has been retconned as gay, which must've come as a surprise to Doiby Dickles. And we now have a gay  Superman who believes in a Better World rather than the American Way, though frankly given how the American Way's been working out recently, that might not be a bad thing.  ;)

I think the people who do all this retconning to make characters 'relatable' in the 21st century don't actually consider, or care, that their messing with the memories of old fogies like Yours Truly who helped put some of these heroes on the map in the first place.

And that's as off-topic as I'm going here, but thanks for your comments Panther, I'll give more attention to the rest later.
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2022, 01:14:51 AM »

Well, Nick Fury.
That's an interesting story.
When Marvel created the ULTIMATES Universe  they created a Nick Fury  for that universe that was clearly based on Samuel Jackson. This version proved popular. Lets see if I have the chronology right now. This probably inspired the movie makers to use Jackson as Fury - right from the Iron Man Movies where they began building towards the Avengers.
A decision was apparently made to have the Jackson Fury in the comic universe too. So, In a miniseries, 'Original Sin' the Watcher was killed and at the end of that Nick Fury Senior retired to the moon to take the Watchers Place. No, I'm not making this up. He's still there in the recent FF books.
Suddenly then, Samuel Jackson Fury turns up as Nick Fury seniors son! And he is also immediately the head of SHIELD. I don't know who his mother was tho.
To my knowledge with little explanation for any of that.
That's one of the better retcons, I feel.   
'       
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2022, 01:18:27 AM »

OK! now my review!

Dr Hypno.
Story #4. Note the names on the bill. Gov. Graft. Sen. Filchit.
This story is much more interesting. And visual.
Story # 5. Monkeying around! By now Thomas is getting into his stride, and really having some fun.
Story # 6. And now we have an elephant, and as soon as we spot the elephant we know what's going to happen. Even more action and sarcastic dialogue from the good Doctor. And the Doctor is a brain surgeon we find. A pity that's as far as the stories went, there were quite a number of directions the story-line could have grown into.
The feeling I get here is that Thomas came to the conclusion that the character was limited and bound to run out of plot ideas quickly. The fact that in the dialogue he twice has the DR speak of plots as 'the usual' is a give-away for me. Certainly, correct me if I'm wrong, Dr Hypno was a true original.     
Thanks Yoc and Kingcat, when I get the time I will come back to these archives and enjoy them.
Cheers!

Thanks for review, Panther, Dr Hypno is indeed IMHO, a true original, I'm glad you found something in his adventures to enjoy. It does take a while for Thomas to develop the character, and like you I found the later stories more rewarding. The Gorilla tale is very disappointing, and Scotty's suicide quite unlikely.

As the Doctor develops more human characteristics, like an interest in women and a sense of humour, I notice the shape of his nose changing so he appears less supercilious, and as the final story's sign off promises more, I wonder if it was an editorial decision that cut the Dr's adventures short, rather than Thomas's view of Hypno's limitations?

The Owl is a more well-rounded character altogether, is spite of the Batman/Spirit similarities,  though he also has the luxury of a far longer run, and like Hypno, he does change as the run continues. By the end, his stories become shorter and he dispenses with the costume, wearing only the mask over his civvies. I wonder if that too was an editorial decision? I'd have used The Owl as Reading Group material but I think he's far better known and I would hate to pick out only a few of his tales for attention. Do enjoy them at your leisure now you know where to find them.

Thanks for going to see the Doctor, and for explaining the changes in Nick Fury, it's good to know they had some basis in something comic-related, however unlikely!
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2022, 05:59:45 AM »

Dr Hypno

I get the impression I liked this series better than most of the other Plusians. Frank Thomas had a good imagination and created several oddball characters, The Eye being the oddest. His drawing was a bit clunky but it did the job.

Given time and more pages Dr Hypno could have been an interesting character. The notion of transferring into various animals has potential Thomas only hints at. True, the schtick could become monotonous if he just transferred into the animal of the month, saved the day, and switched back. But he could use each animal's unique abilities to solve problems and escape traps. I also like playing with peoples' reactions to his animal selves, like the crooks wondering why a bat is after them or the lion tamer suddenly sees her lion develop a mind of its own.

I was unhappy that Thomas gave Hypno the power to speak no matter what form he was in. Even fantasies must follow some sort of logic. Most animals don't have the anatomy with which to talk. Allowing elephants and monkeys to speak like people doesn't make sense. It's more interesting for Hypno to use creative ways to communicate using the equipment at hand. The scene where Wun realizes Hypno is in the cat suggests fun situations. What if Wun mistakenly figures an animal is Hypno and chases after it when the boss is really in a different creature altogether?

It'd also be fun if Hypno had to deal with the natures of the animals he inhabits. I'm thinking of the British heroine Cat Girl who gained the abilities of a cat when she donned her costume...but also gained a fear of dogs and water and a tendency to be distracted by a can of tuna.

Overall the Hypno series was a pleasant read. And some of the shots of Hypno eye-zapping the animals are hilarious.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2022, 06:11:43 AM »

Crash said,
It'd also be fun if Hypno had to deal with the natures of the animals he inhabits. I'm thinking of the British heroine Cat Girl who gained the abilities of a cat when she donned her costume...but also gained a fear of dogs and water and a tendency to be distracted by a can of tuna.

That's one of the many areas that could have made this character quite interesting.
One criticism I have of most current super-heroes is that the humanity and realistic detail element where it exists is just 'tacked on' and once a character gets powers they are off to save the world, or the universse or the multiverse. I think the big two has a company wide 'universe involving' event/crisis every two months and often two or more at the same time. It becomes same old/ same old and dull.     
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2022, 10:36:55 AM »

So Dr Hypno seems to be "Warging" into certain animals, sort of like Brandon Stark in GOT?
Seems to me there was a short lived TV series in the late 60's-early 70's with a main character who could do that. Don't remember any details.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2022, 01:43:48 PM »

Kingcat, I've been reading this all along, and every now and then reading it out loud to my wife. We both thought of Saunders and Rathbone, then she added a couple of other names, just to stir the pot, knowing they would make everybody cringe.
She came up with Robert Downey JR. for Dr. H since he played BOTH Dr. Doolittle and Sherlock Holmes, so that would torque Rathbone fans, or Val Kilmer, since he played The Saint, an George Sanders role.
I moaned. She said (in fake innocence); "What?? I never said Tom Cruise!!"

I must agree it would be a hell of a casting challenge and crashryan, Ron Ely crossed my mind too. Wife said he wound up as a bus driver. Wow.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 05:02:25 PM by Morgus »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2022, 07:09:50 PM »

I must agree it would be a hell of a casting challenge and crashryan, Ron Ely crossed my mind too. Wife said he wound up as a bus driver. Wow.

Ely was injured about two dozen times while doing his own stunts in his role of Tarzan, including several lion bites. I read he had been most badly injured when he got it in his head he could actually wrestle a leopard. He saw a leopard lounging around a camp site and didn't realize it was a wild leopard rather than trained. Luckily a camp cook beat the leopard with a heavy cast iron skillet forcing it to let Ely go. It was years before he could appear shirtless on film due to scars on his body. IIRC the cook was also seriously injured.

Ely only retired from acting in 2001 but came back for a role in a TV movie in 2014.

In 2019 his son went bonkers and stabbed Ely's wife, the boy's mother, to death and tried to blame the murder on his father. No one was buying it because Ely had suffered a stroke weeks earlier and was confined to a wheel chair barely able to move or talk. The police ended up killing the son.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2022, 12:19:51 AM »

Dr Hypno

I get the impression I liked this series better than most of the other Plusians. Frank Thomas had a good imagination and created several oddball characters, The Eye being the oddest. His drawing was a bit clunky but it did the job.

Given time and more pages Dr Hypno could have been an interesting character. The notion of transferring into various animals has potential Thomas only hints at.

I was unhappy that Thomas gave Hypno the power to speak no matter what form he was in.

Overall the Hypno series was a pleasant read. And some of the shots of Hypno eye-zapping the animals are hilarious.

Glad you found things to enjoy in the Doctor's adventures, crash, and please accept my apologies for my light-hearted requests for a reply!  ;)

Yes, IMHO Dr Hypno had a lot of untapped potential, some of which you've highlighted in your review, and I share your disappointment with the decision to let the Doctor speak irrespective of his chosen animal's anatomy. On the other hand, it gave us the one story outside of Funny Animal comics where the damsel in distress is rescued by a wisecracking pachyderm, so it's not all bad!

I too wish Dr Hypno had been given more time and/or pages to develop the character and explore its potential, but I guess we're lucky it lasted as long as it did. I have a big soft spot for Thomas's art, clunky or not it did get his ideas across - I still love the snooty Hypno he portrayed so effectively in the first episode, imposing his will on a parrot!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, crash, I'm grateful for your input.
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2022, 12:35:26 AM »

Kingcat, I've been reading this all along, and every now and then reading it out loud to my wife.

Seriously? You read CB+ posts out loud to your wife? OMG!! We're not worthy! We're not worthy!!  :)

I managed to get Mrs K1ngcat to watch Marvel movies mostly through the appeal of Robert Downey Jr and Chris Hemsworth, and she's quite keen on them.  But I'd be darned if she'd go so far as to read a comic, let alone listen to a bunch of geezers going on about them online, and actually commenting.

My heartiest congratulations on what seems must be a match made in heaven! Good on you both. And glad you enjoyed Dr Hypno so much, thanks for your posts.
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2022, 12:47:41 AM »

So Dr Hypno seems to be "Warging" into certain animals, sort of like Brandon Stark in GOT?
Seems to me there was a short lived TV series in the late 60's-early 70's with a main character who could do that. Don't remember any details.

Sorry Captain, had to  Google warging, never followed GOT, thanks for your interest in the Doctor and for all your fascinating (and scary) info about Ron Ely. Not a happy family then.  :-\
Glad to have you aboard
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2022, 04:51:06 PM »

There was Manimal in 1983 but he just changed into an animal as opposed to the Hypno/ Congo Bill trick of changing places.

I quite enjoyed the stories and particularly liked the Doc's chin. I.N.J. Culbard would give Holmes a Bruce Forsyth chin many decades alter. (I think only our British members will get that)
The Chuck Hardy strip idea turns up  quite a few times in comics.  I rather enjoyed this early land below story.
There is a great version of the idea in an Italian strip, Raff, Pugno D'Acciaio by Vittorio Cossio:-
http://www.brunoruffo.it/other_photos/C/mini_1946_raff_01_rist_1974.jpg
Thanks for choosing this one Bluesman.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2022, 12:08:47 AM »

I quite enjoyed the stories and particularly liked the Doc's chin. I.N.J. Culbard would give Holmes a Bruce Forsyth chin many decades alter. (I think only our British members will get that)

Thanks for choosing this one Bluesman.

My pleasure, paw, glad you enjoyed it.
As a British member who knew nothing about I N J Culbard's Holmes I was obliged to take refuge in Google who offered this:

https://www.selfmadehero.com/books/sherlock-holmes-a-study-in-scarlet

I see what you mean about the chin! (Non-British members may now need to Google Bruce Forsyth.)  ;)

Thanks for your comments, they're greatly appreciated.
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2022, 12:34:43 AM »

Well, we're past midnight here so I guess the clock has beaten Dr  Hypno and the Australian Panther will be back tomorrow to present his choice for Reading Group #273.

Once again my thanks to all those who took part and shared opinions and information. Irrespective of whether Dr Hypno floated your boat, I heartily encourage anyone who has time to spare to delve into the Frank Thomas Archive, see if you can pick out a plum that's more to your taste. :D

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2022, 02:57:09 AM »

Years ago when I found out about the Digital Comic Museum and later Comic Book Plus the Centaur books were the first things I read. So I've read and enjoyed most of these years ago

The Researcher - I don't recall reading this one before. Kind of a pulp-type hero with a clunky name (was he named Researcher by his parents?). Not bad, although his seemingly having a device for every occasion would seem to make stopping bad guys too easy. So did Ivor survive the crash at the end? Nothing is said about him.

Dr. Hypno - A much better hero name than Researcher. (Reading the panels with Mr. Sneed being thrown through the window, I wondered if this had been Batman's origin. "Criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot, I shall need a disguise that inspires fear. What's that? Mr. Sneed? An omen I shall become Sneedman!"  ;) )

Third Dr. Hypno - Does Professor H have this one at his website? Dr. Hypno is lucky no police officer shot him while he was in the body of the gorilla.

Fourth story - A cat's tail is not prehensile so trying to write a message with one wouldn't work.

Funny that it's the final story that has an actual title.

While not perfect they are entertaining little stories.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2022, 06:51:10 AM »

Third Dr. Hypno - Does Professor H have this one at his website? Dr. Hypno is lucky no police officer shot him while he was in the body of the gorilla..

Even if someone were to shoot and kill the gorilla, the author could use the copout that that event only releases Dr. Hypno from his transferred state (his mind inside the body of the animal).  The science related to Dr. Hypno's ability to have his mind transferred into the brain of the other animal is so silly that saying that the other animal's brain no longer functioning reverses the transfer of the two minds (at least for the mind that belongs to the still living being) is not illogical in that context.  That is no less logical or possible than the possibility of the transfer being made in the first place.  So, how could anyone make a reasonable argument against the reversal, when the means for the transfer to work, in the first place, have been destroyed?

If you are going to point out holes in the author's setup of a fantasy that is so strongly against what our science knows about the physical laws of our Universe, why bother to do that, when the original premise is so ridiculous?  Or was your comment said with tongue-in-cheek, made as a joke because of its very irony?

To me, IF I give in and accept the author's extremely anti-scientific fantasy for the purposes of entertainment, having to accept the added ridiculous notion that Dr. Hypno would lose his mind forever, if its new host body were to expire, would be adding insult to injury.  It would make it seem that the author would be trying as hard as possible to make as much of his story plot as ridiculously impossible as he could.

It's interesting speculation.  But, if I had had that assignment, I'd have thought longer to come up with something just as interesting and thought-provoking, but something more within the realm of plausibility(if not thought about too deeply), or, at least, something that isn't so blatantly impossible, and could be cloaked and hidden by using pseudo-scientific explanations in a not-so-obviously unbelievable setup, that is so obviously against what we know about how our World and Universe works.  It seems like the magic believed by little children that needs no explanation. 

I guess that if the reader suspends his or her scientific knowledge to temporarily accept for entertainment value the author's premise that Dr. Hypno can send his mind into the brain of another being's body, and take over use of that body, that the reader would have to accept whichever result that author would give to the death of the host being, and stoppage of function of his body.  I suppose The good Doctor could have his mind lost forever (end up a living body with a brain, without a mind), or he could have the death of the host trigger an end to the mind transfer, and Dr. Hypno returning to his old self.  But, having Dr. Hypno die as a result would be too illogical.  Even if you suspend certain laws of science to develop a basic fantasy story plot, you shouldn't also be suspending other laws of science willy-nilly, that aren't essential for your wild tale.  If you change The World so much that it isn't even slightly recognisable, the reader won't be able to follow the story.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2022, 05:11:49 PM »

Years ago when I found out about the Digital Comic Museum and later Comic Book Plus the Centaur books were the first things I read. So I've read and enjoyed most of these years ago

Dr. Hypno - A much better hero name than Researcher. (Reading the panels with Mr. Sneed being thrown through the window, I wondered if this had been Batman's origin. "Criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot, I shall need a disguise that inspires fear. What's that? Mr. Sneed? An omen I shall become Sneedman!"  ;) )

Third Dr. Hypno - Does Professor H have this one at his website? Dr. Hypno is lucky no police officer shot him while he was in the body of the gorilla

While not perfect they are entertaining little stories.

Thanks for posting SS, I might've known at least one of the group had met the Doc already!
I did think throwing a body through the window was a bit overly dramatic but it gives you an idea of the calibre of ne'er-do-wells Hypno has to deal with.
The Doc was also lucky that the gorilla driving the car wasn't stopped and breathalysed, but the sight of a gorilla at the wheel is one I'll not easily forget.
Thanks for giving the good Doctor your vote of confidence anyhow, glad you enjoyed meeting him again.
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2022, 06:57:12 PM »

I guess that if the reader suspends his or her scientific knowledge to temporarily accept for entertainment value the author's premise that Dr. Hypno can send his mind into the brain of another being's body, and take over use of that body, that the reader would have to accept whichever result that author would give to the death of the host being, and stoppage of function of his body.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, Robb. It depends on the amount of scientific knowledge the reader has (in my case, not a lot!) ;) and the degree to which the reader is prepared to suspend that knowledge for the sake of entertainment (in my case, again, near-to-totally if it suits me! )  :D

Which is why I'm quite content to accept any load of unscientific, brain-rotting old tosh in the sake of temporary entertainment. The reason I'm not interested in Funny Animal Comics is not because the existence of talking, clothed animals exhibiting human behaviour offends my sense of scientific logic. I'm not interested in Funny Human Comics either! I'm quite prepared to follow any illogical premise the author puts forward, as long as my desire for entertainment is satisfied.

I can understand why such things would be anathema to someone with your scientific background and dedication to logic, but such things mean little to a fool such as I. Hope this explains the appeal of massively illogical old mind-rot like Dr. Hypno to some CB+ readers, thanks again for giving Dr H. your best shot.
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2022, 07:44:20 PM »

The Doc was also lucky that the gorilla driving the car wasn't stopped and breathalysed, but the sight of a gorilla at the wheel is one I'll not easily forget.

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2022, 09:29:32 PM »

If you are going to point out holes in the author's setup of a fantasy that is so strongly against what our science knows about the physical laws of our Universe, why bother to do that, when the original premise is so ridiculous?  Or was your comment said with tongue-in-cheek, made as a joke because of its very irony?

There was a blogger I used to read who once wrote that for a sf/fantasy series that he could accept one unrealistic premise for enjoying a series. I think a lot of people do something like this as well. As Johnny Carson used to say (as a comic routine was failing), "Buy the premise, buy the bit."

Dr. Hypno's premise is that he can project his consciousness into an animal for a period of time. Okay, fine, I'll accept that premise, now let's see what stories you can do with that premise. However accepting that premise doesn't mean "anything goes" storywise. Unreal premise aside there are still things that must read as believable. To me a gorilla walking into a crime scene filled with armed police officers (and maybe some armed civilians, as well) is just begging to be shot, not allowed to wander freely. If Hypno had taken the police chief with him, then the chief could order the men to not shoot the gorilla (perhaps claiming it's trained as an explanation).

Getting killed wasn't a main line of thought for me, though. Gunshots aren't always an insta-kill, although they do hurt, but the plan required having a gorilla to fight the dangerous gorilla and Hypno's gorilla getting shot would ruin his plan for stopping the dangerous gorilla.

I did think throwing a body through the window was a bit overly dramatic but it gives you an idea of the calibre of ne'er-do-wells Hypno has to deal with.

Litterbugs! They should have disposed of the body in the proper receptacle!  ;)

The Doc was also lucky that the gorilla driving the car wasn't stopped and breathalysed

Policeman: Alright buddy, let's see your drivers license!  ;)
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2022, 10:24:42 PM »

I guess that if the reader suspends his or her scientific knowledge to temporarily accept for entertainment value the author's premise that Dr. Hypno can send his mind into the brain of another being's body, and take over use of that body, that the reader would have to accept whichever result that author would give to the death of the host being, and stoppage of function of his body.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, Robb. It depends on the amount of scientific knowledge the reader has (in my case, not a lot!) ;) and the degree to which the reader is prepared to suspend that knowledge for the sake of entertainment (in my case, again, near-to-totally if it suits me! )  :D

Which is why I'm quite content to accept any load of unscientific, brain-rotting old tosh in the sake of temporary entertainment. The reason I'm not interested in Funny Animal Comics is not because the existence of talking, clothed animals exhibiting human behaviour offends my sense of scientific logic. I'm not interested in Funny Human Comics either! I'm quite prepared to follow any illogical premise the author puts forward, as long as my desire for entertainment is satisfied.

I can understand why such things would be anathema to someone with your scientific background and dedication to logic, but such things mean little to a fool such as I. Hope this explains the appeal of massively illogical old mind-rot like Dr. Hypno to some CB+ readers, thanks again for giving Dr H. your best shot.  All the best,  K1ngcat   

I just think it's a shame that the publishers paid storywriters so very little, that if these writers wanted to stay in their ridiculously expensive no-bedroom so-called studio apartments in New York, or fleabag, tenement apartments in Newark or Hoboken (NJ), they felt compelled to spend as absolutely little time in thinking about each of their story plots, and almost started writing the script as soon as they got the spark of the idea. 

I was spoiled for comic book reading and fandom by having been first introduced to the fastidiously-crafted Carl Barks stories of the early and mid 1940s at the tender age of 2 and a half and 3 years old. I was still young, at 20, when I first met him, in 1966, and he told me, "I've NEVER submitted a story that wasn't good enough to make me eager to plunk down my hard-earned dime to buy the comic book it was in, when I was a kid."  Having lived through 3 economic depressions, he felt that kids deserved quality for their hard-earned money.  He didn't have to tell me that. I knew that by 1949, just from reading his stories.  Part of the reason I never earned much money is because I draw slowly, and think long and hard about my plots, and take a lot of time staging my storyboards, to make stories I'd want to read and buy, and would stand out from the crowd in the memories of my readers.

When writing my first time travel story, I had a physicist friend of mine explain Einstein's and the other theories on time, and when writing another one many years later, which involved the creation of several new dimensions, I read up on the latest theories on the possibility (or lack of it) for eventual practical time travel.  Most young children comic book readers might not even know any difference between mine and completely cliche-based non-thought-out stories.  But, I appreciated such efforts when they are made.  If one has a feel for the science, he or she should be able to come up with nonsensical pseudo-scientific jargon, that will at least allow such unlikely happenings to "appear" to be somewhat plausible, IF the reader doesn't stop reading and ponder deep into the logic of the subject.  We don't mind at all, IF they bought the book because the subject looked interesting, and they read it through the first few times without stopping; and THEN, they look up scientific articles on the subject to find out if it is bullshit, or there really IS maybe a tiny chance that it will someday come to pass in the distant future.

In any case, I'm SURE that if I took some time, I could come up with a different premise than a hypnotist hypnotizing a "less intelligent" being, and by my willpower, forcing my brain functions to "enter" the animal's body from the air, taking it over, and operating it as a vehicle with Human capabilities.  That is too much "magic" that is taken on faith with no evidence of how it could even potentially happen.  AND, of course, comic books are a VISUAL medium, which has more ability to SHOW how things happen, than books mainly filled with text.  So why not show a bit of how the transferring of The Good Doctor's brain power might occur.  I would have MY doctor not be a hypnotist, but, rather an expert on Human (and animal brain functions, who has a laboratory filled with brain scanners that can monitor activities in the different areas of the brain, to see where control can be gained, and to find out how he can manipulate the animal's activities.  I might rather have MY doctor remain conscious, while his brain waves are being sent into the animal's brain (through radio waves), controlling the behaviour of the animal while following him at a distance where he is usually safe from being detected by the criminals.  So, there is no danger of his losing his "mind", or dying, if the animal dies.  But, there will always be danger of things going wrong, leading to climactical action-filled splash panel scenes.  And, of course, the animal will remain conscious, but not understand why he is doing things unlike he normally does (because unbeknownst to him, his brain waves are being manipulated from outside.  So, any animal The Doctor uses, MIGHT rebel against his commands at any time, because they "feel" so unnatural.  And, therein, lies the danger to the doctor (i.e. the animal instinctively knows The Doctor is trying to manipulate him because he has noticed him following him (his pursuer is ALWAYS near when the animal feels anxious or unnatural).  So he may attack The Doctor.  OR, the criminals may discover The Doctor when the animal turns on him.  There are ways to Tell an entertaining story without using unexplained "magic".  Of course no one yet has been able to discern the minute details of brain wave strength as represented on a screen, to learn to mimic those waves to from outside, and send them inside another being to reproduce desired activities from him or her.  But, I think my also very unlikely events have at least SOME chance of occurring in the future, and, therefore, sound somewhat more plausible.  And more readers could probably read through the somewhat plausible story without stopping for a long time to decide whether the story is too"silly" to bother to read through to the end.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2022, 11:33:00 PM »

So Dr Hypno seems to be "WARGING" into certain animals, sort of like Brandon Stark in GOT?

What is WARGING?

There have been several US films and TV series involving Great Plains, Western Mountain, and Desert Native American tribes whose medicine men found out which animal spirit was the spirit of each newborn, and they smoked peyote or ingested some plant in their coming of age ritual, or preparation for war, or other religious ritual, that allowed them to have a visitation of their "animal spirit', in which, the human tribal member turned into that animal in the scene (to represent that he and his animal spirit became one).  I've seen several that changed into an eagle, or a puma, or a coyote, or a wolf, or a bear.  In several of those stories, a rogue warrior became one of the more dangerous animals, and killed their human enemies.  Of course, most (if not all) of those films and TV episodes didn't expect the viewer to think that the human actually changed physically to become that animal; but only to believe that the tribesman's "spirit" (consciousness?) was taken over by the animal, and its basic instincts were acted upon by the human (who was shown on the screen as an animal during those scenes.

This, to me, is much more interesting than Dr. Hypno's ridiculously improbable premise (especially as I have worked for Many US and Canadian Native tribal governments, and gotten to know some of their beliefs and traditions, and have learned to communicate in non-speaking ways with my own dogs, and made friends with a few wild animals, as well.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2022, 12:32:55 AM »

My hunch about Dr Hypno is this. Given the quality of the body of Frank Thomas's work and the obvious failings of the Dr Hypno character, this was likely a character dreamed up by someone else and given to Thomas on assignment. He never seems comfortable with the character, and at times seems to make this clear through the character's dialogue. I think he quit the character as soon as he could. He was not the only creator who had found himself in this position.
For those new to Frank Thomas, don't judge him by this character, look at the rest of his work on CB+. You'll be glad you did.       
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2022, 07:36:25 AM »

What is WARGING?

"Warging" is a magical ability of certain people to transfer their spirit into an animal, popularised in fiction by the "Game of Thrones" (aka a song of ice and fire) stories, and TV series, by George R R Martin. An adept like Brandon Stark, who was paralyzed from the waist down, could even enter and control a human of limited mentality.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.