in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #272 Dr. Hypno ( Amazing Man Comics )

Pages: 1 2 [3]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #272 Dr. Hypno ( Amazing Man Comics )  (Read 3545 times)

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #272 Dr. Hypno ( Amazing Man Comics )
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2022, 05:02:55 PM »

What is WARGING?

"Warging" is a magical ability of certain people to transfer their spirit into an animal, popularised in fiction by the "Game of Thrones" (aka a song of ice and fire) stories, and TV series, by George R R Martin. An adept like Brandon Stark, who was paralyzed from the waist down, could even enter and control a human of limited mentality.

Thanks.  You can see that I'm not a "Gamer", nor a connoisseur of recent American TV.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2022, 06:59:58 PM »

I appreciate the comments suggesting that Dr Hypno's adventures might have been more detailed, interesting, gripping, or scientifically correct if the (unnamed) writer had more knowledge, experience, research, or more time to develop the plot, character, or plausibility.

And if I wanted all these things in a story I would probably be reading something more sophisticated than the hastily-concocted, dawn-of-comics stuff on CB+.  :D

I feel many of these historic works, for all their roughness and implausibility, communicate a certain charm in the same way that a one-mic, one-take recording from the forties or fifties has a charm that cannot be captured by a 24-track digital studio with pro-tools. I find that same charm in Dr Hypno.

Anyway, one man's meat etc.,
Until the next time
All the best
K1ngcat

ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2022, 04:34:43 AM »

I feel many of these historic works, for all their roughness and implausibility, communicate a certain charm in the same way that a one-mic, one-take recording from the forties or fifties has a charm that cannot be captured by a 24-track digital studio with pro-tools. I find that same charm in Dr Hypno.

For some reason this brought to mind the first home video camera recorder system I ran across. It was the size of a pool table including its editing setup.
The first mobile phone my sister used when she was a reporter is housed in a suitcase sized case.
The first pocket calculator I owned would barely fit an overcoat pocket and took several AA batteries. The last one I bought was the size of a credit card and solar powered.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2022, 08:00:51 AM »

a one-mic, one-take recording from the forties or fifties has a charm that cannot be captured by a 24-track digital studio with pro-tools.

The charm came from what your ears heard and what you heard came through large speakers powered by a valve radio or amplifier. There never was and never yet has been clearer sound.
I appreciate the comments suggesting that Dr Hypno's adventures might have been more detailed, interesting, gripping, or scientifically correct if the (unnamed) writer had more knowledge, experience, research, or more time to develop the plot, character, or plausibility.

Kingcat, don't mistake analysis for criticism. For me, when a book is posted here i listen to others comments and then find myself looking at the book in much greater detail than I otherwise would. I always learn more looking through the eyes of others.
Thank you for this choice.
Cheers!
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2022, 07:11:28 PM »

Regarding the issue of believeability I stand somewhere between K1ngcat and Robb. I view stories about characters with supernormal abilities as fantasies. A fantasy author is "allowed" to base stories on one or more impossible concepts without explaining them. For example you can introduce a fire-breathing dragon without inventing an explanation for how a dragon can breathe fire. In my opinion a successful fantasy spells out the nature of the magical elements and the rules by which they operate. Over the course of the story magical events should remain consistent with these rules. Everything else operates according to real-world logic.

If I were writing Dr Hypno my magical base would be "the doctor has the ability to transfer his consciousness into an animal and take control of its body." Then I'd make a list of questions to work out the attributes and limitations of this ability.

Does Hypno's mind replace the animal's consciousness, suppress it, or work alongside it? Some aspects of the animal's mind must carry through or else when he entered a dog Hypno wouldn't know how to bark or how to wag his tail. Is the animal aware that it's being controlled? Does Hypno have to struggle with the host's natural traits--aggressiveness, fear of water, etc.--which may assert themselves? Can Hypno inhabit only larger, warm-blooded animals, or can he take over reptiles, fish, insects? Worms? What is going on with Hypno's body when he's in an animal (personally I favor a vegetative state)? If his host is killed does Hypno's mind revert to his body or does his consciousness die along with the animal's? Does the animal remember that it was controlled by Hypno? If so, does it resent the intrusion? Is there a range for mind transference? If Hypno's body is on the other side of the world does his mind still return when the hypnotic effect wears off? Does the effect have a specific duration? Does this duration depend on the nature of the animal? Is it harder to maintain control over a more intelligent animal like a dolphin than it is over a flea?

You get the idea. Once I'd answered these questions I'd have guidelines to determine whether a future story would work. For instance I've decided that Hypno's mental control can not change the physiology of the host animal. He cannot make a cat's tail hold a pencil. He cannot make an elephant talk. Conceivably the good doctor could use a hypnotic trick to make someone think an animal is talking. But that's the same thing--inventing a new superpower in mid-story. I don't feel that's fair to the reader. Besides, Dr Hypno as originally conceived offers plenty of story possibilities.

Having said all this I acknowledge that this is all hindsight by an old coot writing 80+ years after the fact. I'm not a twenty-something cartoonist puzzling out how to do these newfangled comic book thingies. Who knows what Frank Thomas thought of the character, or of his job, or of Art in general? I'm basically playing mind games for fun.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2022, 11:02:37 PM »

Thanks crash! We're getting so many ideas now about how we could rewrite Dr Hypno for the modern age and the more discerning reader, it's quite exciting.

I'm all for it - but who's going to put the money up?  ??? Should we do the comic first then follow it with the movie? And who's going to play the lead?  I don't think there's enough CGI in the world to reanimate Basil Rathbone...

Problems, problems! :(
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2022, 01:45:29 AM »

I don't think there's enough CGI in the world to reanimate Basil Rathbone 

Don't even suggest it! Shudder!
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.