in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

SCI-FI

Pages: 1 2 [3]

topic icon Author Topic: SCI-FI  (Read 4923 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: SCI-FI
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2023, 11:26:53 AM »

I guess its obvious, but the Albatross was the template Kirby used for the Shield Helicarrier. 

cheers!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2023, 01:35:12 PM »

Not to mention...   :)

October 1934 issue!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 01:41:13 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2023, 01:46:10 PM »

Kirby's design is so distinctive and stylish, I think it's criminal whenever anyone decides to try and do better by completely changing it...

By the way, the line reproduction on this website ("ViewComics Online" / the scans look like they came from "Masterworks" books) is abysmal.

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2023, 01:47:02 AM »

Russian SF Movies released in the US by Roger Corman.
Russian SF

Planet Of Storms (1962) - ENG subtitles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VTF23EFvEM

VOYAGE TO THE PLANET OF PREHISTORIC WOMEN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBHazU0U8uI

Battle Beyond The Sun 1959, US Version (Sci Fi Movie) Roger Corman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqXGuKizlkE

Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet 1965 | Roger Corman, Basil Rathbone |
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1dtqIPlERU
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2023, 02:42:26 PM »

I've seen 3 versions of PLANET OF STORMS.  As you might expect, I much prefer the Russian original (with English subtitles).  I've never seen the original version dubbed into English.

VOYAGE TO THE PREHISTORIC PLANET is okay. I once saw that on TV decades ago.  It does make me shake my head that US diestributors felt the compulsion to screw with foreign films so much.

VOYAGE TO THE PLANET OF PREHISTORIC WOMEN, however, is a abomination!  More than anything, it reminds me of one of those 3rd-season SPIDER-MAN episodes by Ralph Bakshi where he took one or more previous episodes, made some changes, and tried to pass it off as a "sequel".  The end-goal basically being, to get enough episodes made so they'd have 52 off them, at the time, the minimum for a successful syndication package (run 5 episodes a week).

The way PLANET OF STORMS ends, it gives you hope that there is still some remnant of a civilization on Venus, and leaves you hoping for a sequel.  ...PLANET OF PREHISTORIC WOMEN is not that sequel.  In fact, it totally up-ends the optimistic ending of ...STORMS, by showing the exact same story, but with half the film seen from the other side's point of view.  The women in the title are not friendly, in fact, they're directly, deliberately responsible for everything bad that happened in ...STORMS, as they spend the entire film trying to kill the visiting astronauts!

Just to add even more to the confusion, there's another film, titled PREHISTORIC WOMEN, which is totally-separate and has nothing to do with the ...STORMS.  It's pretty awful on its own terms, too.

BATTLE BEYOND THE SUN, meanwhile, is an altered version of 'Nebo Zovyot' ('The Sky Beckons'), with a monster added and Soviet propoganda removed.  I've seen a horrible print of BATTLE online, but I later saw a PRISTENE, crystal-clear print of NEBO ZOVOT-- in Russian without English subtitles.  I just wanted to see what the film was supposed to look like, and it's STUNNING.  A bit on the dull side, but a visual feast.  JUST like 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY.  Heh.  Stylistically, both films feel like you're watching silent films, but with sound and color added.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 02:45:21 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2023, 03:27:30 AM »

LEGEND OF THE ROLLER BLADE SEVEN  (1992)
Philosophical Post-Apocalyptic Action Music Video!   (3 of 10)

A reluctant warrior ("What's in it for ME?") is engaged to rescue a psychic woman who's been kidnapped by minions of a crippled evil gang leader in a "forbidden" area known as "The Wheelzone". As Rupert Crosse once said (on an episode of THE MONKEES): "Who WRITES this stuff?"

Writer-actor Scott Shaw teams with director Donald G. Jackson to create one of at least 3 of the most UNBELIEVABLE films ever, ever made. Apparently (I haven't seen the others), they took 2 previous films, THE ROLLER BLADE SEVEN and THE RETURN OF THE ROLLER BLADE SEVEN, and edited them together into this one, though each film has some footage the other 2 doesn't. (Sounds like Ralph Bakshi during the 3rd season of SPIDER-MAN, doesn't it?)

What you have is characters on desert highways and in the LA Aqueduct, travelling on roller-skates, wielding samurai swords and baseball bats, wearing some of the most visually-eye-popping costumes imaginable, action footage repeated over and over like you're watching an MTV video, and some really terrific rock music and banjo music that helps cover up the lack of a sensible or cohesive plot, lack of decent acting, and so on. I have to agree with every reviewer who described this as an "ART FILM". I went into it thinking this would be a perfect fit on the old "USA: UP ALL NIGHT" movie series, and I was proved right. This is definitely the kind of movie that should only be watched really late at night, when your critical sensibilities are at their lowest ebb, with some good food and the lights out (not necessarily at the same time). The brief appearance of Rhonda Shear as an abusive "security guard" only confirms this. Basically, this is one of the most bat-S*** crazy films I’ve seen in a long, long time.

Also on display are the likes of William Smith, Frank Stallone, Karen Black (as a lady psychic) and Don Stroud (who I feel gives the coolest performance in the flick). I honestly don't know any of the others, though I would also agree with whoever said that Allison Coleman as "Stella Speed" steals the show in that ASS-bearing red thong. WOW!

More than anything, this reminded me of CIRCLE OF IRON... on roller skates.  That film was actually written around 1969, arguably the most drug-induced era ever for film-making.  So it's a good fit.

I note most reviewers gave this a "1" or a "10", depending on if they considered it CRAP or ART. I'm giving it a 3... because, DAMMIT, I genuinely enjoyed this ONE F*** of a lot better than CHARLIE CHAN AND THE CURSE OF THE DRAGON QUEEN, the only film (so far) I ever gave a 1-star review to. Now that one WAS crap. And it had a budget and lots of known actors, so it has no excuse!

I have to admit, the ending left even me confused. How did the heroes defeat the baddies? DID they get killed right at the end-- or not-- and if so, WHY?

But my main point of confusion relates directly to why I bought this film (from the "Kunaki" site, which I accessed directly from Scott Shaw's site). WHERE'S TINA? I watched carefully from beginning to end, but couldn't spot Tina Desiree-Berg. "Hot Blades" it says here at the IMDB. I have no idea which character that was. The DVD packaging sure was nice.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 04:41:12 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2023, 04:26:03 AM »

THE FIFTH ELEMENT  (1997)

I think I've now lost track of how many times I've watched the DVD I got a few years ago.  It suddenly hit me tonight, THIS has definitely become my #1 FAVORITE sci-fi film.

The story structure and editing is so fast-paced, brilliant, inter-connected & hilarious at times, it feels like you're seeing a much-longer film than its "mere" 2 hours 4 minutes.  One of my favorite things is how it so neatly breaks down into 2 halves, allowing me (if I'm in the mood that day) to take a break right in the middle.  If there was an intermission, it would have to be EXACTLY where Korbin Dallas tells General Munro...

"I'LL TAKE THE MISSION."

The stuff leading up to that moment, where so many people all converge on his tiny apartment, several trying to take his place on a "contest trip" to a resort (which was supposed to be a cover for a SECRET mission!) happens so fast it's hard to keep track of it all.  Not to mention the bit where Zorg's henchman calls him on the phone to say there's "no other way onboard the spaceship"-- yet, SOMEHOW, Priest Vito manages to do just that!

I must have seen this a DOZEN times before I realized how the actions of mostly TWO people caused MOST of the chaos to happen.  On one hand, Zorg not telling the Bangalores about the "red button", which wound up causing a massive explosion and possibly killing several of the alien warriors, is what led directly to Zorg getting KILLED later in the film, and the flying hotel to be blown up!  But meanwhile, "The President" telling Vito to go home, "This is a military matter now, we'll keep you posted" ALSO caused completely uncalled-for chaos, starting with Leeloo being revived without Vito's friendly face to welcome her and get her mission started right.  (I imagine General Munro probably would have recruited Korbin for the mission ANYWAY, had Vito and Leeloo been together to get things started smoothly.  WTF were those COPS chasing her for?  You KNOW nobody told THEM what the hell was going on.)

The business of Leeloo in the shower, Vito almost suffocating in the automatic bed, and Munro & his assistants nearly frozen to death-- all in Korbin's apartment-- always has me in hysterics.

And then there's "Ruby Rhod" (Chris Tucker).  I had to see Howard Hughes' "HIS KIND OF WOMAN" (1953) to realize where the inspiration for his character probably came from-- it was "Mark Caridgan", played by Vincent Price (same moustache even), except Cardigan was enthusiastic & handy with a rifle, while Ruby screamed like a little girl.  BOTH guys steal their respective pictures.

I can't get enough of this film.

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2023, 04:34:20 PM »

SPACEWAYS (1953)

Wow, equal parts scientific advancement and human drama / murder mystery. From 2 of the people who would later give us classics from HAMMER Films. Alan Wheatley had also played Sherlock Holmes on TV (sadly lost) and the Sheriff of Nottingham opposite Richard Greene's ROBIN HOOD.  The plot reminds me of a "link" between the film DESTINATION MOON and the Herge comic-strip story of that same name, with all the extra human drama & mystery going on while preparing to send someone up into space.

The only real down side to this, for me, is the BUDGET that somehow prevented them from doing decent lift-off footage of that glorious 3-stage spaceship.  Instead, they mixed in TWO drastically-different designs, by re-using footage from other films!  OY.  But, if you ignore that (which isn't easy), one very intense bit of drama.

full movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTgbH8Rklzk
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2023, 07:50:36 PM »

from the CAPRONA message board, on the topic of Gerry Anderson.

FIREBALL XL5 was my introduction to science-fiction.  REALLY.  The show ran here in America Saturday mornings at 10:30 AM (apparently the "prime time" slot of those mornings) for 2 years from 1963-65.  I watched it every week. Steve Zodiac was my hero-- a combo astronaut-explorer-policeman.  And I fell in love with Venus.  YEAH, a string puppet.  A year into the show's run here, I started kindergarden, and I met a girl who was a dead ringer for her.  NO kidding.  I got a "Golden Book" adventure, the board game, and, in August '65 (only a month before it vanished off the air), the deluxe "Space City" playset.  It was devastating when the show disappeared. As far as I know, in my area, it was NEVER seen again.

Somewhere during that time, I caught syndicated reruns of SUPERCAR, but it always seemed too juvenile and trivial by comparison (and that was me as a KID thinking that!).

September '66 we got STINGRAY.  Philly's UFH station 48 (always the tackiest of the 3, between them, 17 & 29), ran it on Wednsedays at 6 PM.  Yeah, just Wednesdays.  Mondays & Fridays they ran GIGANTOR, Tuedays & Thursdays they ran KIMBA THE WHITE LION.  I think more UHF stations should have done that sort of thing, with short-run shows.  However, I recall missing STINGRAY quite a few times during that initial run.  STINGRAY was like a lesser, underwater version of XL5.  Sort of the reverse of STAR TREK, which was a space version of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (if you see what I mean).  The actor who did the voice of "Phones" had actually been "Sparks" in the 1961 VOYAGE movie!  My late friend Robin insisted there was no romance between Steve & Dr. Venus, but I always thought there was. Here, Troy Tempest was a bit of a cad-- stringing along TWO girls at the same time!  Later, 48 ran STINGRAY 5 times a week, but, there really wasn't enough episodes to do that without it getting repetitive real fast.  Maddeningly, this was a problem with MOST Gerry Anderson shows!

THUNDERBIRDS first turned up Saturday afternoons at 6 PM, right after ABC's WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS.  Probably the only reason I got to see it right from the 1st episode ("Trapped in the Sky").  Loved it, though at an hour long, it took more effort on my part to stick with the stories.  Later, it turned up Saturday mornings at 11:30 AM, and later still, with each story broken into the 2-PART format, Monday-Fridays at 7 AM!  I really feel that DIDN'T WORK, watching them like that.  Had to get up early before school to see it then.  (And then it just disappeared forever after that.)

CAPTAIN SCARLET was on Philly's channel 17 at 5 PM.  Annoyingly, they started out of sequence, and the 3 connected episodes at the start were run on the 3rd week (following 10 other episodes).  Also, like every other show 17 ran at that slot, they'd CUT 5 minutes from the middle of each episode, where the commercial break was.  (Apparently, they let the film keep running during the commercials-- THOSE STUPID BASTARDS.)  The Sci-Fi Channel, in the 90s, were notorious for cutting shows to ribbons, yet, their run of CS was LESS butchered.  In the pilot, for example, on 17, we saw smoke coming from the President's desk.  Following the break, CS is zooming along the highway, with the President his prisoner!  I didn't get to see what happened in between until the 90s.  And every episode was like that.

UFO turned up here (that I know of) in the early 70s, but I got to see most of it when Channel 29 ran it Sunday afternoons at 2 PM (followed by reruns of LAND OF THE GIANTS at 3 PM and THE TIME TUNNEL at 4 PM).  It always struck me as a less-advance, more "adult", more serious and DEPRESSING version of CS.  In the 90s, it became the 1st Anderson show I managed to tape EVERY single episode of, off the Sci-Fi Channel.  Little did I know, every episode had 6 MINUTES cut from it on that channel.

SPACE: 1999 was on Channel 17, Saturdays at 7 PM.  I found out decades later they ran the show completely out of sequence. Not sure that matters, though.  Whike some shows I'd laugh with, 1999 I'd laugh AT.  My GOD, it was so STUPID and contrived and EXCESSIVELY-intense. Each week I swore Martin Landau got closer to a nervous breakdown.  The best acting was from Barry Morse.  It blows my mind that at the time, I had NO IDEA he was born in London-- not the US!  17 took the show off after 13 weeks.  But the following September, they ran ALL of season 2.  GO FIGURE.  I taped about half of them off Sci-Fi in the 90s, but I swear, I never enjoyed a single one of them.  When you have GREAT writers, designers, music, actors, directors, everything, and a show still SUCKS beyond all belief-- there's a problem.  I've since seen several documentaries explaining the history of how the show came to be, and it's one gigantic CLUSTER-****.  In my view, it never should have been made in the first place.

TERRAHAWKS was run here Saturday mornings at 7:30 AM.  I hated having to get up that early on my days off!!!  But I did... this became my FAVORITE Anderson show since XL5.  My late friend Robin & I discussed Anderson shows at such length.  We agreed that from THUNDERBIRDS to 1999, the writing kept getting WORSE AND WORSE.  TERRAHAWKS had GREAT writing, and likable characters.  I put two and two together when I found out Gerry & Sylvia's marriage had been on the rocks since the mid-60s, and they had a nasty divorce.  I saw that as a wake-up call, that he realized people had to mean more than machines.  Turns out, "Mary Falconer" was named after Gerry's 2nd wife, Mary.

SPACE PRECINCT -- oh my God!  This became my FAVORITE Anderson show, EVER. Great idea, great use of old-fashioned miniatures, WONDERFUL characters (including the goofy-looking aliens, al lof whom were more "human" than the humans on any of the late-model STAR TREK spin-offs), and great writing & directing (several episodes helmed by John Glen, who did 5 BOND films in a row).  17 ran this Saturday nights at 11:30 PM.  Boy, way to kill a show, hmm?  They took it off after 13 weeks-- just as they had 1999 years earlier.  Luckily, a NYC station was running it Saturday nights at 12:30 AM. But then they moved it to Sunday nights at 12:30 AM.  And then they moved it to Sunday nights at 1:30 AM.  SOMEHOW, just barely, I managed to tape the entire season.  I'd heard there was a 2nd season, but it never turned up.  YEARS later, I found out they had done a short 2nd season-- just like THUNDERBIRDS-- which was only about 5 or 6 episodes.  Still haven't seen those yet.

I deeply regret never having written Anderson a fan letter when he was around.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 07:52:56 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2023, 08:40:15 PM »

PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE  (1957)

"My friend, can your heart stand the shocking facts about grave robbers from outer space?"

;D
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2024, 09:14:27 PM »

SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS  (1964)

Got the "Horizon Movies" copy straight from Kino Lorber. It got to my PO Box in 9 days.

I'm not sure I've EVER seen this movie on TV. I first saw it when I was 5 years old-- in late 1964. I was 5 years old. Then, again, a year later! It's amazing how much I forgot, but also, how much I remembered, and vividly. The first act (before the 2 kids show up) is played DEADLY-SERIOUS, which, I think, makes it really "work". It then get more silly and more fun as it goes, but, by then, you're invested in the story.

There's a lot of damage on this, but, most of it's very watchable. After I was done (and I did find myself laughing for almost a whole minute when it was over-- that goes a long way), I read the fine print on the back of the box. I'm going to type that here:

"Due to the rarity of materials available, the master for this film was created from a 16 mm European print secured by Holland Releasing with the HD telecine and color correction completed by Fotokem/Burbank. Since this print was originally created for television, it is presented in a 1:33:1 aspect ratio. The original theatrical release of this film was projected in a matted 1:85:1 with a 'safe top & bottom'. As a result of the master having 'removed the matte', this presentation of the film actually reveals additional information on the top and bottom of the frame."

UH HUH. That explains a lot. I'm GLAD I got it. But, seriously, IS there actually a brand-new scan of the camera negative out there? I've been running across several movies of late where this is happening (including my favorite Euro Jules Verne movie), and getting the "best-ever" version would be cool-- even with something that's every bit as goofy as LOST IN SPACE season 2!

By the way-- and I remember this so well-- there's is SUCH a dramatic build-up and suspense leading to the reveal of exactly what "TORG" is. They mention him several times, you don't see him, then, when the kids are out in the snow, one of them sees what they think are lights from Santa's house. But, NO!! It's a clunky robot! I joked, "It's not quite Stormrobot"-- referring to how in a comic-book I published back in 2002, I actually based a "giant" robot on a 1950s wind-up tin toy robot. I thought it was the funniest idea. The HEAD is similar. I don't think I remembered this movie when I did that. But now I can't forget the similarity.

Hey! Those Martians LEFT Torg behind on Earth!!! How could they DO that?

Also, isn't it insane, that they kidnapped the 2 kids so no one would ever know they kidnapped Santa-- but as soon as they left, Mrs. Claus told the reporters what happened. Those Martians WEREN'T very smart.   ;D
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2024, 06:40:43 AM »

Wasting a day on YouTube, one of the things I came up with was this.

STAR WRECK: IN THE PIRKINNING (2005) | Star Trek Parody | English Subtitles | Finnish SCI-FI movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iD3YlavEm4

STAR WRECK: In the Pirkinning is a 2005, famous Start Trek parody film produced in Finland ???? Finnish full length SCI-FI movie with english subtitles ???? The seventh production in the Star Wreck movie series, and the first of professional quality and feature length. It is a dark science fiction comedy about domination of the world and the universe.

A lot better than you might expect. Amateur acting, but not so much the visuals or the script.
Clearly a fan production.
Enjoy!

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2024, 02:57:48 AM »

THE FABULOUS JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH  (1977)

I don't normally buy more than one copy or version of the same movie, but this has become one of my favorites, so I have. I figured I'd compare discs.

Sprocket Vault Region-Free DVD / 2016
     Color too intense, WAY TOO DARK, sound louder & slightly harsh
     INFERIOR copy, avoid!

Code Red DVD / 2008
     Clear picture & sound, too dark, darker than Saturn Prod. version)
     BEST onscreen menu / 12 chapters, trailer,
     alternate credits (from the US "WHERE TIME BEGAN" version of the film)

Saturn Productions Inc. Region-Free DVD / (date unknown)
     “Exploitation Cinema” / “Septic Cinema”  /
     Slightly less dark than the Code Red disc  /
     12 chapters  w/ “Encounter With The Unknown” (20??)
     WORST packaging & onscreen menu

Severin Films Region-Free Blu-Ray  /  2023
     4K scan from the original negative  /  CRYSTAL-CLEAR picture & sound!
     13 chapters, Trailer, 3 interviews
     BY FAR the best version of this film ever made available!
     (You can see EVERY detail even in the darkest scenes.)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 03:01:07 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2024, 09:00:22 PM »

MOTHRA (1961)

My 2nd-favorite Japanese monster movie!  If GODZILLA was inspired by THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS, then surely, MOTHRA was Japan's "answer" to MIGHTY JOE YOUNG.

Mothra's Song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lmZRRqF6wA

ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.