in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

SCI-FI

Pages: [1] 2 3

topic icon Author Topic: SCI-FI  (Read 4922 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
SCI-FI
« on: June 06, 2022, 02:28:44 AM »

I think a general thread for this is overdue...

THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW:  "Into Infinity" (1975)

Gerry Anderson produced this as a potential pilot for a series that never happened, intended as an "educational" show more than an adventure one.  Oddly enough, this wound up coming across as an "English" variation on LOST IN SPACE, between a future where Earth's resources were depleted, sending a family into space, a drive capable of reaching light speed, and the characters being unable to ever make it home by the end.

I find it a bit odd that the cast includes an unusually LOW-KEY Brian Blessed (in the sort-of John Robinson role) and Nick Tate, SANS any hint of his Australian accent, in the sort-of Don West role.  The 2 kids make you dearly wish for Bill Mumy & Angela Cartright (HEH).

I only just found out tonight this was made in between the 2 seasons of SPACE: 1999.  Derek Wadsworth supplied the music, and would go on to contribute to 1999's season 2.

I have this on THE LOST WORLDS OF GERRY ANDERSON 2-disc box set.  The best thing I can say is... it wasn't anywhere near as awful as THE INVESTIGATOR unsold pilot.

More details at Wikipedia...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_After_Tomorrow_(TV_special)
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: SCI-FI
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 03:26:16 AM »

Back in the 60's I read a lot of Science Fiction and a lot about Science Fiction. Their fandom was very militant and organized well before comic fandom took off in a big way. [ I still have a good friend who was and is a die-hard Science Fiction fan.They are still out there.] At that time there was essentially a civil war between those who thought it was OK  to use the term Sci-Fi and those to whom that was anathema. I used to read the Judith Merrill yearly anthologies and her editorials and forewords used to deal with this subject. There were probably thesises written about it.
All to say that I am firmly on the side of  those who adhere to Science Fiction. Whenever I see the phrase Sci Fi I feel distinctly uncomfortable. However, now I have that off my chest, I am not going to indulge in any kind of dummy spit about it. Just saying.
Mind you,TV and Movie Science Fiction is arguably a genre of its own. And most comics.         
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 05:30:46 PM »

Forry Ackerman coined the phrase, a play on the phrase "HI-FI".  (High Fidelity)

There was also a character nick-named "Hi-Fi" in the SAD SACK comics.   ;D

It's easier to type...

Back in the 70s, I did a home-made comics series whose official title was "Science-Fiction Thrillers".  Never mind that it wound up being a catch-all for horror, super-heroes, and anything else I was in the mood to include.

But on the cover, the logo read, in big letters...  "SCI-FI thrillers".

;)
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 08:13:15 PM »

LOST IN SPACE: "Junkyard In Space"
"This is THE END!!" ****** (of 10)

NOT a favorite episode of mine. For a show that was too often too silly-- and this story had a lot of that-- this was perhaps the darkest, most NIGHTMARISH episode they ever did. They find themselves trapped, unable to take off-- AND, all their food is contaminated. And WHERE were they going to find food on a planet like that? Wasn't it PAINFULLY obvious the Junkman was responsible for all this? You know, I kinda LIKED "Phanzig" from "Condemned of Space". There was something charming about him, and after all, he had served MORE than his term in the prison. But The Junkman, I would have to rank as possibly the single MOST EVIL villain "LIS" ever saw. He wasn't just threratening the family, or planning to kill the family, he wanted them to die SLOWLY.

The last time I watched this (a year or so back), it suddenly struck me as a really bizarre, sci-fi allegory for a Nazi concentration camp. You trap innocent people in a place they don't want to be, then intentionally STARVE them TO DEATH. Marcel Hillaire, though he made a successful career playing exagerated FRANNNCH stereotypes, was really born in Germany, and wanted to put as much distance between himself and the country he FLED. He may have sensed what I did about this story, and saw it as an opportunity to depict real INHUMANITY on a scale never quite seen on this goofy series before.

I believe Irwin Allen had the mind of an arrogant 5-YEAR-OLD. My late friend Robin often said Allen apparently had NO sense of humor, as he insisted that there was no humor at all in "VOYAGE", "TIME TUNNEL" or "GIANTS". (A bit snuck into "VOYAGE" here and there, but not often.) Robin often suggested that Allen LET Harris do what he wanted, because he admired the humor he was bringing. Never mind that it should have been THE WRITERS' jobs. But the very small stable of writers on all of Allen's shows was another serious problem. They're running out of ideas? THEN HIRE NEW ONES!!! Geez.

The writer (as so many of them often did) really must have not been paying attention. There was NO need to take circuits from the Robot. They had a MATTER REPLICATOR. (You know, the one that looked like a beach cooler.) They could have duplicated the circuits the Junkman asked for. But far, FAR worse-- the Jupiter 2 DOESN'T HAVE ROCKETS to fire!!! W--T--F!!!!!!! A better script editor would have come in handy, too, to FIX crap like this before it was allowed to go before the cameras for posterity. What the Jupiter 2 DID have... was a force field generator, activated from the interior in a few episodes. Turning that on would have prevented Don from docking the Pod. (Someone should also have fixed the line... "How can you dock when it's still in orbit?" That's the ONLY place they can dock, STUPID!

Hillaire was also a ham... but, he showed real sensitivity near the end, when Will got thru to the Robot's memories. And, JUST like The Robot in "War of the Robots", or Verda in "The Android Machine", the Junkman, an artificial being, EVOLVED into a better person. Honestly, if they'd done a 4th season, I'd have wanted to see them take him with them in the season opener, and then drop him off on some other planet by that story's end. You know, he claimed he "owned" the junk planet, but I suspect he was lying. SOMEONE ELSE must have set that whole thing up for some neighboring civilization... and if he left, they would have had to have sent someone to find out what happened. (But the writers, like Smith, never seemed to think more than 5 minutes ahead with anything.)

June & Anne Lockhart may be the only instance I can think of where I fell in love with characters on TV played by both a mother and a daughter. In Anne's case, it was on "BATTLESTAR GALACTICA". In June's case... oddly enough, growing up, I watched her regularly on "LASSIE", "LOST IN SPACE" and "PETTICOAT JUNCTION". But it wasn't until last year I saw her in something I genuinely found myself falling in love with a character she played. And it was a 1st-season episode of "THE MAN FROM UNCLE"-- "The Dove Affair", where she played what may have been the only "innocent" caught in the espionage world who VOLUNTEERED to help Napoleon Solo, rather than being recruited. If you get a chance, check it out. Ricardo Montalban's also in that one, as a VERY charming, likable guy who competes with Solo to get his hands on some vital information.

Robin & I may have disagreed about Smith, but we both agreed, "LIS" was a show that was often good despite itself, and with only a BIT more love and care, COULD and SHOULD have been SO MUCH BETTER than it already was.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 01:58:49 AM »

X-BOMBER / STAR FLEET
(Japan / England / 1980-81)

It took me an entire year to polish off THE PROTECTORS (at a rate of one episode a week).  Having followed that up with 2 unsold pilots (THE INVESTIGATOR and THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW), tonight I got started on my next series:

STAR FLEET !

I first became aware of this show (which, as far as I know, NEVER ran on any TV station in my area) in the 80s, via a 12" EP titled "Star Fleet Project" by Brian May & Friends (including Eddie Van Halen).

It seems some people in Japan were intersted in doing yet another "multi-ship giant robot" series, this one more influenced by STAR WARS than most, but instead of doing it as an animated cartoon, they decided to to it as a PUPPET show-- X-BOMBER.  I was just reading how one of the people involved set his mind to doing something "better than THUNDERBIRDS", but with only about one-forth the personnel and without the ten years of exerience that Gerry Anderson had.

When it got to England, the series was re-titled STAR FLEET.  The hard rock theme song "Soldier In The Space" was replaced with an instrumental opening theme, to allow the 3 main characters to speak their names (I'm guessing English producers figured kids wouldn't be able to figure out who they were from just-- you know-- WATCHING the show.  We had the same damned problem with kids shows getting dumbed down in America, in the 70s.)  A brand-new end theme, "Star Fleet" was added... and it's pretty cool.

Like many later Japanese series at the time, you have one long 24-episode serial (25 in Japan, but only because one episode is all flashbacks).  This format has really become popular in the last couple decades over here.

The series was released in horribly truncated form several times over the decades, but, just recently, the ENTIRE series is now out on DVD, and BOTH the Japanese and English versions are together on a SINGLE Blu-Ray, released in March 2019!  So, this item didn't even EXIST when I started by Gerry Anderson mega-marathon!

I've been loking forward to seeng this show for a lot of years, in large part because the under-the-table puppets inspired Gerry Anderson to do his next series that way-- TERRAHAWKS.  Crazy enough, actress Denise Bryer did voicves on BOTH shows!

I might as well mention a couple of very odd glitches when I watched the first episode tonight.  The menu looks designed for "Zoom" mode, but the episodes should be viewed in "normal" screen size.  Second, there's a "Play All" button... but, after skipping that (as I usually do), the 2nd episode began playing immediately after the end of the 1st one.  Hmm.  But most maddening... when I ejected the disc, the picture FROZE on-screen, despite the disc having been popped out... and, the whole machine LOCKED up.  I couldn't even turn it off.  WTF?  I got around it by UN-PLUGGING it.  After I plugged it back in, it seemed fine.  I sure hope this wasn't some kind of defect with the player that just showed up after only a year.  My guess is, something about this specific disc caused confusion with the player.  Crazy enough.. I have a music CD that does the SAME THING-- and it happened earlier tonight!

Here's a site that spells out a lot about the show...

star-fleet.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Fleet_(TV_Series)

And here's the English version of the opening credits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD-9NZsYCQw

« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 02:13:28 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 08:01:49 PM »

VOYAGE:  "The Haunted Submarine"
Time-warping "Flying Dutchman"-style ghost captain     ****   (of 10)

I have to totally agree with "jecskene"s review, in that this episode is one of many that had great potential, but was totally-squandered in the execution. Which frankly, tragically, is "Irwin Allen" ALL OVER.

An ancestor of Nelson allegedly offers him a chance for endless adventure on the high seas and immortality. But really, he's been condemned for his crimes in life as a slave-trader, and hopes the current Nelson will take his place and live out his "sentence" for him. Taking that wild, way-out premise, the episode is played DEADLY straight and serious, with only a bit of humor at the expense of Chief Sharkey, who, for once, is the butt of a superior officer's frustration, when it's usually Sharkey making sure everybody under his command knows he's the boss.

What drove me to distraction, was Nelson REFUSING to tell anyone-- including Crane-- what was going on-- even after Crane gave him a long-overdue ultimatum-- and then, even after it was all over. Real people DO NOT ACT this way! If I'd been in Crane's position, at the end of the episode, I would have given Nelson another ultimatum. Either he explains what was going on, or I'd put in for a TRANSFER. You can't work with someone you CAN'T TRUST.

Watching so many Irwin Allen shows again over the last 3 years, I've come to an unfortunate conclusion. Allen had the emotional maturity of a 6-year-old. And this episode, if nothing else hadn't already done so, convinced me he insisted his writers do the same. Stories like this COULD have been so much better. He just REFUSED to allow them to be. It's the same level of creative malpractice that led him to give Jonathan Harris completely free reign to write his own material on "LOST IN SPACE", and had 95% of the episodes after awhile focused on Smith, to the near-total exclusion of so many other potentially-good characters, and REALLY FINE actors, who kept being given nothing to do. (Especially June Lockhart.)

The "time freezing" scenes had aleady been done earlier this same season on "THE TIME TUNNEL", and would most famously be used in the "UFO" episode, "Timelash", probably the single best example of the idea I've ever seen on film.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 12:27:16 AM »

REALLY FINE actors, who kept being given nothing to do.

Guy Williams - a superstar in Latin America [after Zorro]  - understandably assumed that he would be the leading character but  found himself in a supporting role. Story goes that he had been signed on at a handsome salary, so he just took the money and acted like the gentleman he was.
Toby Stephens [Dame Maggie Smith's son - who played the young Clint Eastwood in SPACE COWBOYS] also takes a backward role in the current series. This series - which is not too bad - is pro-female and all the female roles are beefed up. And Dr Smith is female, played by Parker Posey. Smith is a nasty piece of work, (not funny) and Don West is a radically different and far more interesting character.   

Ironically, IMDB lists the entire cast as having appeared in all 84 episodes, except Johnathan Harris who was only in 83! Which one was he not in, Prof? Figuring you may know!
cheers!   

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 02:59:33 AM »

If there's one Harris wasn't it, it would have to be the UNAIRED pilot, "No Place To Hide", included as a bonus on the last disc of season 1.

Bits of it were used in episodes 1, 3, 4 & 5 ("The Reluctant Stowaway", "Island In The Sky", "There Were Giants In The Earth" and "The Hungry Sea".

It's incredible to think of it, but, if you watch those, try to imagine that when some of the scenes were shot, there was NO Doctor Smith, and NO Robot!!

The entire family was still in suspended animation when they crashed (which is why Don goes "back" into the tube in ep. 3, because he's the only one visible during the crash sequence), and immediately after, the story jumps to 6 months later.  When they flee the oncoming bitter cold, they actually go over the inland sea on their way south.  In the broadcast version, it's solid ice on the way south... and they voyage over the water on their way north headed back to the ship.

The 2 aliens who appeared in "Invasion from the 5th Dimension", turn up as the cliffhanger at the end of the pilot, watching the family from a distance.

It amazes me how many famous TV series, the pilot episodes were drastically altered in some way before the shows got on the air.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 05:39:45 AM »

Two fun Science Fiction 'Epics'

The Shape Of Things To Come (1979)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beLF2VbEi78

Nothing to do with HG Wells of course. More cheap Star Wars knock-off space ships. And do I have to tell you, there is no sound in space?
Poor old Barry Morse looking like he just walked off the set of Space 1999. And I was searching for John Ireland, which is how I found this.
NEXT,
Something quite different?
SLEEPING DOGS - (FULL MOVIE 1997) - C.Thomas Howell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnCae8VTAUo
Don't know if this is related to the video game of the same name.
Big fan of C Thomas Howell.
Enjoy! 

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 07:30:27 PM »

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA:  The Lost Bomb
It Could Destroy Half The World     ********  (of 10)

Some INSANE FOOL creates a bomb powerful enough to destroy half the world, as a "deterent". YEAH, RIGHT. Naturally, some UNKNOWN foreign power shoots the cargo plane carrying it out of the sky, then plays a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse trying to get their hands on it. Some days, if it's not one thing, it's another.

Smack in the middle of season 3, comes an international terrorist and intrigue story that seems to have escaped from season 1. HOW did that happen? Gerald Mohr plays "Vadim", the commander of a sub seemingly the equal of The Seaview, who refuses to admit which country he's from. Given his international crew, maybe he's really working for some independant crime syndicate, like SPECTRE, or the never-seen-since the pilot "Dr. Gamma"? (What ever DID happen to that guy? He was all set up to be the show's main recurring villain, then, never showed up again.) Vadim goes thru the whole story with an air of smug superiority, apparently enjoying his ability to out-guess and out-manouever Nelson.

Then there's John Lupton as Dr. Bradley, a bomb expert who grew up together in Brooklyn with Chief Sharkey. Midway thru we find out he's a traitor working for the baddies-- but, being this is an Irwin Allen show, there's NEVER any explanation for how or why this happened, and NO character development at all. Other than jokes about Sharkey's middle name is "Ethelbert".

Crazy enough, Lupton appeared in 2 Allen shows in the same week-- he was also in "The Alamo" episode of "THE TIME TUNNEL" only days earlier!

Writer Oliver Crawford did one of my least-favorite 1st season STAR TREK's, plus 2 seriously-flawed 3rd-season episodes. But here, he does what is easily the BEST episode of VOYAGE's 3rd season. And yet, this was his only contribution to Irwin Allen's shows in the whole of the 60s. The only other thing he ever did for him was 2 episodes SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON in the 70s.  I keep saying, if only Allen had hired MORE and BETTER writers.

It amazes me that Gerald Mohr (one of my favorites) was in not only the best episode of the season, but, the same year, my favorite 2nd-season LOST IN SPACE, "A Visit To Hades". Of course, he's a LOT more fun in there.

Now, apart from the episode itself, I saw the weirdest thing today. On the "VOYAGE" Season 3, Part 1, Disc 3 DVD, they included a complete "VOYAGE" comic-book. The story involved "Dr. Gamma", the bald villain whose face you never saw, who was in the pilot, but never returned on the show. His sidekick, "Agent X", was a dead ringer for actor David Opatashu. At the climax, the Seaview is pulled into an underwater sub dock, which looked like it could have been the inspiration for the interior of The Liparus. It contained round elevators, just like the ones seen in Stromberg's "Atlantis", and on the upper level, there were windows thru which you could see sharks swimming.

The only conclusion I can come to is that some of the design work on "THE SPY WHO LOVED ME" was inspired by this comic-book from the mid-60s! There's a connection I never would have imagined.

I coudln't find a pic from the comic online, but, here's a pic of 'Dr. Gamma" from the pilot.  INSANELY, he was played by 2 different bald actors in the SAME episode.  That's Irwin Allen for you.  This pic is "obviously" that of Theo Marcuse.  (It wouldn't come up on this board, but it will if you click the link.)

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/1O0AAOSw3utY8WtH/s-l1600.jpg
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 08:30:02 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 01:26:47 AM »

Jonathan Harris on being cast on "Lost in Space"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hg9LPr-Glc

Jonathan Harris on rewriting his scripts for "Lost in Space"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxR7QtsorV4

Al Lewis on "Lost in Space" - TelevisionAcademy.com/Interviews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaljmzklkZI

cheers!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2022, 01:04:18 PM »

This one is fun!
Devil Girl From Mars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOs8EzFFgpM

Great Costume!
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2022, 04:39:46 PM »

Al Lewis on "Lost in Space" - TelevisionAcademy.com/Interviews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaljmzklkZI

BRILLIANT!!!!!  I've found it's really true... when you're in the right "zone", quite often STUFF WRITES ITSELF!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2022, 06:59:03 PM »

Today's brand-new BLU-RAY:

THE LOST WORLD
(First National Pictures / 1925)
(Blackhawk Films / 2016 // Flicker Alley / 2017)

The first of multiple film adaptations of Arthur Conan Doyle's classic 1912 novel, the film is a mix of adventure, romance, and science-fiction & fantasy. It was also the first full-length feature film from stop-motion special effects artist Willis O'Brien.

I first saw this when I rented a copy sometime back in the 1980s or 90s, and while it was a thrill to finally see it, the then-available copy was not in the greatest shape. This is because, INSANELY, every known print was deliberately destroyed in 1930 to "clear the way" for a newer film that eventually became "KING KONG". This sort of behavior or practice is nothing less than a CRIME against art, in my view, and resulting in it being a "LOST" film for generations. When it was finally rediscovered, as an incomplete print in The Czech Republic (I notice Eastern Europe keeps popping up in stories like this) people were finally able to see severely-edited versions of it. Even at the time, Irwin Allen's 1960 big-budget color remake was considered inferior to the original, though when that came out, no doubt most people had never actually had the chance to see the original film adaptation.

Having fallen into "Public Domain", countless versions have been put out on VHS or DVD. In the early 2000s, I clearly recall TCM ran a magnificent restoration, which apparently involved assembling the best parts of 8 separate prints taken from a whole variety of countries. And yet, THAT is not what I just bought!

Instead, Blackhawk Films has performed a MUCH-more complete and intricate brand-new reconstruction / restoration, again taken from multiple sources in multiple countries, and as a result, now, for the FIRST TIME since it was originally seen in theatres (97 YEARS ago!!!), the film is now COMPLETE, clocking in at 1 hour and 43 minutes. Although the picture quality varies greatly, enough of it looks INCREDIBLE that it was definitely worth getting. The Robert Israel music score is also both gorgeous and thrilling to hear.

I never had a copy of this film before, and now, I'm glad I didn't. By the time the film was over, I was overcome with a sense of sheer JOY that few films I've been getting ahold of lately have given me. I also find it incredibly fitting that the very 1st "stop motion animation dinosaur" film I managed to get on DISC should be THIS one. What a perfect place to start.

Also included as bonuses are 2 earlier short films by O'Brien, and an unfinished film he worked on in 1930 that helped sell his services to RKO for their eventual "KING KONG" epic.

2 of the leads are played by Wallace Beery (Professor Challenger) and Lewis Stone (John Roxton), and I couldn't help but think I was seeing "Long John Silver" teaming up with "Sir Denis Nayland Smith".

I've read disturbing stories that Beery was a real SONOFAB**** in real life off-camera, which suggests to me that he wasn't really acting in this film... just being himself.

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2022, 05:16:11 PM »

VOYAGE:  The Creature
The Giant Seaweed
     *****   (of 10)

Another VOYAGE, another giant monster, another MAD scientist loose on the Seaview. When are they going to learn? 1- Never let any strangers onboard. 2- If you let strangers onboard, have them under armed guard at all times. As soon as any scientist tells Nelson, "I CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT!", you know you're in for trouble. Here we have an artificially-created life form that is not only steadily growing and growing, but is powered by electricity and can take over the minds of the crew.

The highlights of this one, I must admit, is that writers John & Ward Hawkins give the regulars more to do than usual. The Doctor gets in a knock-down drag-out fight before being taken over; Chip shows real observation and initiative on his own and thereby saves the ship from being taken over halfway in; Kowalski shoots another crewman dead, then tries to fight off the mind-control; Patterson gets into a fight, shoots someone dead, then shows great remorse at the thought he might have killed the Captain; and Sharkey has to hold off a madman with a pair of cattle-prods (I kept yelling at my TV, "DON'T back up-- move FORWARD!").

This week's guest-actor, Lyle Bettger (the afforementioned mad scientist), made a career of "slick" villains on westerns, and only 2 weeks earlier, had played a Nazi commander on "THE TIME TUNNEL"!

Other than that, the usual high-tension roller-coaster. (Couldn't they have come up with a story title that was LESS generic?)
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2022, 01:55:57 AM »

X-BOMBER / STAR FLEET:  Battle To The Death:  X-Bomber Vs. The Imperial Allliance
Happy New Year!     ****  (of 10)

Having just been forced to KILL his academy mentor in a life-or-death battle, Shiro thinks back on the events of the past 12 episodes.

This is the 2nd "clip show" in only 13 episodes so far. UNFORGIVEABLE! At least having the show on disc allows one to SKIP over stuff like this on future re-watches (unlike in times past when one would have to fast-forward a videotape).

They said they wanted to "out do Gerry Anderson" with this show, and as nearly every Anderson show in the 60s and early 70s had a "clip show" (UFO had 1-1/2!) I guess on this score they've "succeeded". (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.)
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2022, 06:17:13 PM »

VOYAGE:  Death From The Past
HEIL HITLER!     ****  (of 10)

Nazis in an underwater weapons research lab who've been in suspended animation for 35 years refuse to believe the war is over, and are intent on using missiles to destroy New York, Washington, London and Paris.

Good story idea-- annoyingly-bad execution.

I'm not sure which is the most frustrating. Crane, who's seen everything by now, refuses to accept the idea of suspended animation, despite this being an Irwin Allen show set in 1980. Nobody told these guys the second they woke up what year it was. Security on The Seaview is as PATHETIC as usual. (Two guards in the hall outside Sickbay, on hearing a knock on the door, should have contacted the Captain, NOT opened the door!) Nelson & Sharkey fail to KILL Baron Von Neuberg after nearly being killed themselves, and TWICE he gets the drop on them in the undersea base. The Nazi missiles FAIL to fire, not from anything Nelson did, apparently just from old age systems failure, but there's no mention of the cause. It goes on and on like this. Right up to the climax, when Neuberg is able to FIRE one of the sub's nuclear missiles-- an act that, to anyone who watched seasons 1 & 2, should KNOW this is IMPOSSIBLE, due to the exhaustingly-complex FAIL-SAFE system. (I guess the writers never watched the show.)

MY favorite moment was when Chip Morton got on the comm and told the crew, in reference to Froelich, "KILL him is you HAVE to!" I would have!

I find it interesting that this episode aired on January 8, 1967. 9 months EARLIER, in April 1966, comics writer JACK KIRBY brought back THE RED SKULL from suspended animation in the "Captain America" series. In that story, neo-Nazis revived him, but he was such an Uber-Nazi, he decided to double-cross them and steal their ultimate weapon to use for himself! It's a pity Irwin Allen didn't have any writers that good working for HIM.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2022, 09:50:26 PM »

THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND   (1929)
Science VS. Politics     *******  (of 10)

An altruistic but naive nobleman-scientist is betrayed by his power-mad EX-friend who wishes to use his submarine as a weapon of war instead of an instrument of exploration. The two men have a final showdown at the very bottom of the ocean, amid the bizarre city of a race of small, undersea mer-men.

The opening credits LIED! This has NOTHING to do with the book it takes its name from. Instead, it very obviously serves as a PREQUEL to Jules Verne's "20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA", showing how Count Andre Dakkar was betrayed and became an engine of vengeance against war-mongers.

It seems when Verne wrote his 1869-70 novel, the French publisher removed the section that revealed Captain Nemo's background and origins, which baffled me when I read it in the late 1980s. Years later I learned that Verne had written Nemo as a Polish Count betrayed by the Russians. But at the time of publication, France & Russia were allies, and this would not have gone over well with Russian readers. In the loose 1874 sequel, he changed it so Nemo would be an Indian Prince who took part in a failed rebellion against the English. This was "okay", as France & England hated each other for centuries! But ever since learning the truth, I've always preferred Nemo being Polish.

Well, in 1926, when production on this epic film began, somebody at MGM must have known about those behind-the-scenes shenanigans. Because although the film takes place in the fictional country of "Hetvia", all the costumes scream "RUSSIAN" to me. And this was less than a decade after Russia went through, NOT one, but TWO political revolutions in TWO WEEKS! First, the Czars, who'd become abusive after centuries, were overthrown in favor of a Democratic government. But before the new regime had time to get their act together, a gang of MURDEROUS CRIMINALS, The Bolsheviks, siezed power, while conning the entire country into thinking they believed in Karl Marx' ideology of a "workers' paradise". It was arguably one of the biggest con jobs ever pulled on the human race.

So in this film, we see the country on the verge of revolution due to the abuse of the royals; a nobleman withdraw to a private island where all workers are considered equals; and a murderous despot sieze power and use every vile means at his disposal to get his hands on the plans of the submarines, so he can use them to "conquer the world". If that isn't political allegory for what went on in Russia in 1918, I don't know what is!

A decade before he became known as the wheelchair-bound "Dr. Gillespie", Lionel Barrymore portrays Dakkar, who goes from single-minded scientist to single-minded vengeance-seeker. My best friend, on seeing the film, asked, "How did those two guys ever become friends in the first place?" (It happens.)

Montagu Love, who I've seen in a number of other films, plays Baron Falon, who's just so visibly EVIL, he makes most Bond villains seem like nice guys by comparison.

Lloyd Hughes, fresh from playing the newspaper reporter in "THE LOST WORLD", is the chief engineer, Nikolai Roget, who's in love with Dakkar's sister Sonia (Jacqueline Gadsdon), who returns his feelings and has as much guts as her brother.

I remember the first time I saw this, it struck me a better title for this film, with a plot of 2 subs slowly sinking to the ocean floor, might be "VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA". In fact, that title would fit this film better than it did Irwin Allen's 1961 film! On top of that, both films share a near-identical scene, when the sub, in the process of submerging, has a squad of soldiers clambering over the hull, desperately trying to get in before it sinks beneath the waters. Something tells me somebody involved with the '61 film saw THIS one!

Something else struck me only after seeing the film at least 4 times. It's been pointed out that this could be viewed as a prequel to "20,000 LEAGUES", if you ignore the ending. I'd already noticed that in the 1954 Disney film, Nemo described his wife and son being tortured to death by his own countrymen, a scene definitely not in Verne's book. But something VERY much like it IS in this film! That would make the Disney film a SEQUEL to THIS film!

But more... Dakkar is not married, and appears to die at the end. But his assistant, Nikolai, was in love with Sonia. It strikes me that Nikolai-- not Dakkar-- is the man who became "Captain Nemo", (Niko / Nemo) and that the events described by James Mason in the latter film took place between this film and that one. (Hey, why not?)

One more amusing bit crossed my mind. When the 2nd sub is sinking uncontrollably, a narration card reads, "No.2 sinks helpless". Read that as "No two helpless"... "No two less"... "NAUTILUS".

Tragically, after multiple delays and reshoots, the film took 3 years to make, and, worse, somehow BOMBED at the box-office, killing big-budget science-fiction films for the next 2 decades. MGM didn't make another until "FORBIDDEN PLANET" (1956). As old-fashioned and creaky as it may seem today, keep that in mind when watching.

As I write this, I just got finished re-watching my decades-old videotape recorded off TNT. Apart from the blips where I edited out all the commercial breaks, the print they ran was in pretty good shape, and might have been from the SAME source as the current 2019 "print on demand" DVD from Warner Archive. Except for one thing. Some of the undersea scenes with the "mer-men", the picture is pretty FUZZY and CHOPPY on the DVD. It's CRYSTAL-CLEAR on my decades-old videotape. That just AIN'T RIGHT.

A near-complete 2-COLOR print was found and restored in the Czech Republic. SOMEBODY needs to do a proper further restoration and Blu-Ray release on this. When they do... I'll be the 1st customer!

ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2022, 03:55:54 AM »

I love that film.
It has little or nothing to do with Jules Verne's Nemo.

One thing I really liked was the diving suits, which were hard shell anti pressure suits . They used a diagonal flange to allow stepping into the lower half then donning and sealing the upper half. The left arm lower torso and legs were in one half while the other held the right arm upper chest and helmet.
Some real thought and skill went into designing and fabricating these.

The scene where an ancient war galley with skeletons of rowers still chained to the benches is dragged into position to use its battering ram was awesome.
This sort of galley was used by Alexander the Great to batter down the seawalls of Tyre.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 04:00:30 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2022, 08:18:27 PM »

VOYAGE:  The Heat Monster
Fire Bully From Beyond     ***  (of 10)

An obsessed Norweigian scientist inadvertendly brings an alien fire creature to Earth, convinced it must be friendly. But it kills his assistant, and once onboard the Seaview, threatens to FRY the sub and KILL everyone onboard, if its orders are not followed by a certain deadline. This is not how you make friends.

My first question: did Alfred Ryder ever play any characters who WEREN'T crazy? THE OUTER LIMITS, STAR TREK, BUCK ROGERS... his list of madmen goes on and on.

I found myself thinking there should have been one scene where Nelson told Bergstrom, "Alright, YOU go talk to it first. Now, if it KILLS you, then we'll go to Plan B." Instead, the alien belligerantly DEMANDS the Seaview crew set off an atomic explosion directly under the Arctic research base, "OR ELSE". And sure enough, Crane & Sharkey discover a whole group of fresh-frozen aliens, brought to Earth the same way, waiting to be set free by the intense heat of an atomic blast. So, clearly, this alien is up to NO GOOD.

Unfortunately, it takes most of the episode before the completely-unhinged Bergstrom (is there ever any other kind of scientist on this show?) finally breaks down and tells Nelson HOW to kill the alien-- just before, sure enough, it DOES kill him.

My second question is-- HOW in the hell did Charles Bennett write something THIS stupid? I've been watching "VOYAGE" from the beginning, and this really does have to rank among the worst-written episodes so far. (And that's really saying something.) I mean, my God, this is the guy who wrote the screenplays for THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, THE 39 STEPS, FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT, NIGHT OF THE DEMON, and, my personal favorite, the 1954 CLIMAX! TV adaptation of Ian Fleming's "Casino Royale", which I've long liked WAY better than the novel!

On the other hand, he also did THE STORY OF MANKIND, THE BIG CIRCUS, THE LOST WORLD, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (the feature film), FIVE WEEKS IN A BALLOON, a LAND OF THE GIANTS and 7 episodes of VOYAGE-- all for Irwin Allen. I've said before Irwin Allen needed better writers. But in this case, I must rephrase that, and instead say, he needed better WRITING. This reminds me of what happened on BATMAN when Charles Hoffman took over as story editor, and the quality of everybody's scripts began to go right through the floor.

I'm also reminded that Bennett did WAR-GODS OF THE DEEP. That's one of the few bad films I've seen where, EVEN seeing it in widescreen didn't help.

And to think... I've still got a season-and-a-half of VOYAGE yet to go. OY! When even a really STUPID episode of LOST IN SPACE is far more entertaining to watch... you know you got problems.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2022, 09:29:45 AM »

MARY POPPINS   (1964)
Practically Perfect In Every Way     **********  (of 10)

A supernatural nanny deviously helps a man realize his children are more important to him than he ever realized.

MARY POPPINS was the only movie I ever saw in theatres 3 times when I was a kid (once each in 3 different theatres, starting with a drive-in). That alone distinguishes it from every other film I ever saw in the whole of the 60s. I understand Walt Disney considered this his single greatest achivement. I can't argue with that! In retrospect, I can only think of 3 other live-action films his studio ever made I could rank up there with it, all adaptations of classics of one sort or another: 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, and GEORGE OF THE JUNGLE. This one without a doubt has a particularly special place in my heart, because it's the only one of those I saw when I was a little kid. Mind you, as at least one other reviewer has pointed out, this is not a "kids' film". This is a "family film". That means, yes, it can be enjoyed by adults as well, and in quite different ways.

The art direction, the writing, the music, the casting, the visual effects-- it's hard to imagine any film of this type that is more absolutely perfect in every possible way than this one. Watching it now on disc with a widescreen TV, I was thinking how much it might have been hurt trying to see it in "fullscreen" on an older TV. Thank goodness I only ever did that once (back in the early 90s at my best friend's parent's house, when HBO ran it). That was, by the most uncanny coincidence, the same day I was flying a kite in Chestnut Hill, with no idea I'd be seeing the film later that night.

This film introduced me to so much and so many things, starting with Julie Andrews. At age 5, I adored her. I can fully understand the kids being shattered at her sudden departure at the end-- after a mere 3-1/2 DAYS as their nanny! (And after she told their father she'd "give him a week"-- HAH!) Looking back, her character comes across as very uptight and almost cold on the surface, though Andrews manages to make her a lot warmer than she apparently was in the books.  I fell in love with her far more in THE SOUND OF MUSIC!

Glynis Johns as Winnifred, the mother, is adorable in quite a different way, both for her enthusiastic obsession with getting women the right to vote (something that went completely over my head as a kid) to being 100% supportive of her husband, no matter what mood he might be in. One of my favorite moments with her is when she asks Burt to watch the children. It's the only time in the story where he's completely flummoxed and off-balance, and I realized Winnifred did to him what Mary did to her husband!

David Tomlinson's George seems together at first, but his narrow-mindedness that leads to so much irritation, the instant anything goes astray from his restricted view of how life should be, is obviously the problem. I grew up with a father somewhat like him, except in my case, my Dad NEVER had the kind of revelation George did. I had to figure out how to "get along" with him better on my own, and it took me more than 30 years to do so. Watching this movie now, makes me wish things had been different. My brother, who never quite developed a real personality, did manage to point out to me, 30 years ago, that George was really the main character in the film, as he's the one who changed the most by the end. He was RIGHT!

The domestics are each a kick in their own way. Hermoine Baddeley (like Glynis Johns) later turtned up on the 3rd season of BATMAN (as "Frontier Fanny"). Reta Shaw popped up in an episode of THE MONKEES, and was a regular on the tv series THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR, but was also the model for Jack Kirby's villain "Granny Goodness"! Elsa Lanchester, of course, was the title character in THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, and also had an absolutely hilarious role as the nurse in WITNESS FOR THE PROESECUTION. (I had no idea the first time I watched that she was married to Charles Laughton, who starred as the lawyer Sir Wilfred.)

Matthew Garber & Karen Dotrice are wonderful as the children. I suppose the character I related to as a kid was Michael, though I was far more repressed by my Dad than he was by his. It amazes me to think Garber only ever did 3 movies, all of them with Dotrice. The thing that blows my mind watching this is just HOW MUCH he resembles Tomlinson; I can really believe Michael is George's son. By comparison, Jane doesn't look like either of her parents at all! Very odd. Such a tragedy to read that Garber passed away at only age 21.

Of course, the guy who STEALS the entire movie is Dick Van Dyke as Burt, Mary's more down-to-Earth, friendly, jack-of-many-trades fellow magical person. I feel the NEED to say that, as Burt was the first Cockney I ever encountered on film, I have NEVER had the slightest problem with his accent. I watch so many English movies & TV shows, I really cannot comprehend why so many apparently do! I mean, geez, Brian Glover (on CAMPION) has a much-more impenetrable accent. The author may have objected, but it's clear to me Burt very openly loves Mary, but she's too intent on maintaining an "aloof" front to want to admit she feels the same way. Their relationship reminds me a lot of The Doctor & Romana on DOCTOR WHO, especially with Mary Tamm's Romana (except she was a lot more relaxed about showing her feelings).

Mary may set things up and exhibit more magical abilities, but Burt is REALLY the one who draws her out, explains to the children just how much their father is up against it so much, and is the one who genuinely GETS THROUGH to George in the scene when he fears his entire world is about to fall apart. In effect, I feel Burt is the real hero of the movie!

I had absolutely NO idea as a kid that Van Dyke also played Mr. Dawes.  NONE! What a CREEP that guy is, too, grabbing the money out of Michael's hand.  Later, it's not enough to be firing George from his job, he actually is enjoying HUMILIATING him-- and then gets infuriated when George, having his abrupt change of attitude, refuses to BE humiliated.  The guy deserved to die laughing. As his son said, he was never so happy before! Arthur Mallet is another one where I had ZERO idea it was him in this movie until recently, and I've seen him in many things, including THE MONKEES, WKRP IN CINCINNATI, HALLOWEEN. The only other instance like this I can think of, of an actor totally vanishing under both make-up and a performance, was Ann Guilbert on THE NANNY. I kept seeing her name in the credits of that show and THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, but had to look her up online to realize WHO she was playing on both shows. It was jaw-dropping when I found out.

I've seen this film twice on disc now, and both times it's gotten me extremely emotional, in an extraordinary way that goes far beyond any mere "nostalgia". From "Sister Suffragette" all the way to "Let's Go Fly A Kite", I seem to have found the perfect instrument to help me unleash any tensions going on in my life.

I have only ONE major complaint-- and it's not about the movie, it's about the DVD Disney put out.  There are MULTIPLE advertisements for other films at the beginning of the disc, plus an excessively-complex "menu", plus an ad for the sound system, the Copyright warning, the comment about the commentary.  Even hitting the "ADVANCE" button to skip over as much of this CRAP as possible, it takes a full ONE MINUTE and FORTY-EIGHT SECONDS to get to the start of the movie.  UNACCEPTABLE!! This is absolute B***S***. And you know what? The only good thing is, they included a free DVD with the Blu-Ray. Disney's Blu-Rays, like Universal's and Shout Factory's, all contain a "disc authoring DEFECT", wherein if you hit "STOP", it instantly takes you back to the beginning before the menu. I like to take breaks while watching movies, especially long ones like this, but if I do it with the Blu-Ray, I'd have to suffer thru that 1:48 at the beginning EVERY SINGLE TIME, and then search for where I left off!  It is especially infuriating when it's the "big" companies whose discs are like this, as a result of them trying to be CHEAP to increase their profits. It makes me want to try running off a custom bootleg copy, just to eliminate all the junk at the start of the disc.  (I figured if nobody else was going to bring this up in their reviews, I WOULD.)

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2022, 04:18:27 AM »

This week's film:
20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA (1954)

Arguably James Mason's finest role. "I am NOT what you would call a civilized man. I am DONE with society, for reasons of my own, and therefore do not obey its laws."

A friend at work got me a VHS copy of a "Walt Disney Home Video" rental back in the 80s, which was in "fullscreen". (That's SQUARE for modern people who have no memory of traditional TVs..... like my 2 clients.)

In May 2007 I taped a WIDESCREEN copy from TCM, which was a MAJOR upgrade that allowed me to fully appreciate the film for the first tme ever.

Friday, I got it on BLU-RAY.

Ironically, according to the IMDB site, an earlier DVD had "supplementary material". The brand-new Blu-Ray... DOESN'T. Go figure.

Really, I'm shocked that the Blu-Ray of the 1916 film has an audio commentary, yet somehow Disney got all cheap on their own 1954 film and didn't include anything... not even a trailer!

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2022, 04:19:15 AM »

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2022, 02:33:56 PM »

Nick Zagarac, who wrote that long blog article, replied to my comments:

Dear Henry:

The Mouse House today, alas, has little to zero interest in catering to the public where hi-def physical media releases are concerned, especially of their live-action deep catalog releases.

The decision to release such time-honored classics as 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea without all the hard-won and expertly produced extras made for their 'Vault Disney' DVD releases is truly baffling, as is their executive logic behind releasing Bedknobs and Broomsticks to Blu in only its theatrical cut, and not the meticulously re-assembled director's cut (which ought to have been the real theatrical cut, except that the Christmas premiere was scheduled at Radio City and had to fit into the program to include the Rockettes' show, previews and shorts) is idiotic and thought-numbing.

The tragedy, at least for me, is grossly amplified when one considers how much 'real estate' Disney Inc. owns today, and how much cinema history is being left to languish without the proper curation and care.

Not only are we being deprived of the Disney classics, to include such masterpieces as Song of the South, The Happiest Millionaire, That Darn Cat, The Shaggy Dog, Third Man on the Mountain, The Sword and the Rose, and on and on, but Disney seems intent on hoarding assets from the Touchstone, Caravan, and Hollywood Pictures holdings.

So, no Pretty Woman director's cut (again, made available on DVD ONLY), no While You Were Sleeping, I Love Trouble, Jane Austen's Emma, Down and Out in Beverly Hills, Outrageous Fortune, etc, though some of these have been released to foreign markets with little to zero care in their video mastering.

But now, Disney has dismantled the venerable 20th Century-Fox. So, the likelihood we will ever get properly remastered editions of great classics like Call Me Madam, The Seven Year Itch, River of No Return, Star!, Wilson, Forever Amber, Staircase, etc. is minimal to nil.

That means we've lost access to ALL the great Shirley Temple movies. Most of Marilyn Monroe's catalog. Virtually all of Betty Grable, Tyrone Power, June Haver, Jeanne Crain, Dana Andrews, and 99% of Carmen Miranda's gay ole fluff and fun. All but one of the Rodgers and Hammerstein classics is in limbo. So, no The Sound of Music 4K! Obscene!!! No, properly mastered hi-def editions of Irwin Allen's The Poseidon Adventure and Towering Inferno. No original/unaltered Star Wars trilogy.

The 'woke' attitude at Disney Inc. today has managed to proliferate, infect and marginalize much of Walt's legacy, but now, also, has taken a hatchet to the entirety of Darryl F. Zanuck's reign as one of the irrefutable Hollywood titans of his generation.

Will Disney change course in the future? Remains to be seen. In the meantime, those wishing to have some basic connection with their childhood memories need to subscribe to Disney + to get their fix at the studio's whim. The company decides what you see, when you see it, and how you see it. If they don't wish a part of their history to be seen, it's been altered from its original vision without the public's consent, leaving only butchered archival material for generations to come, study, admire and respect.

I shudder to think what Walt would make of all this if he were alive. Mr. Zanuck, a caustic and less congenial mogul of his day, I know, would NOT be pleased!!!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2022, 12:29:48 AM »

This also means that if you have a copy of one of these films, even on VHS, keep it, it will eventually be valuable.   
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.