in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #279 Wonderworld & Top Notch comics

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #279 Wonderworld & Top Notch comics  (Read 5252 times)

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #279 Wonderworld & Top Notch comics
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2022, 12:38:07 AM »

I've read most of the Top Notch comic and have a couple of comments.

On the second last page before the ads, they have a blurb about how the comic came to be and what they hope to achieve. They say they didn't rush in, but did a lot of thinking about what readers would like and this is the result. Their vision is 'streamlined fiction, stepped up to meet today's fast pace of living'. If they thought it was fast-paced in 1939, I wonder what they'd think now? But the comics do fit with that action-based style. It's worth reading that page for some insights into their process.

They mention that they're still learning [re how to do comics], and one thing I noticed was that the narration boxes for the comics were often at the bottom of the panel, and sometimes this made the reading confusing. For example, there were times when I read the dialogue and then the box at the bottom, as you would usually do, but found that the narration box was really meant to come first. So I guess at this stage, a lot of writers, illustrators and publishers were still getting the hang of how to put it all together. Though Superman comics I've read from that same era didn't have that problem.

Also there were a lot of educational features - A fact page about boxing and another about sport; a page of interesting facts (in which Hong Kong was still British); a four-page pulp fiction short story with illustrations; a puzzle page; and a true crime comic that showed how forensic techniques were used to catch a real counterfeiter. My favourite part of that story was the bit where they show you how to forge a signature. I'm not sure that's what they wanted kids to learn from a story, but I bet some tried it out.

And a piece of pub quiz trivia -- On the page about boxers, it mentioned that one of them had fought Max Baer. My first thought was that he was the fellow who played Jethro in The Beverley Hillbillies, but I knew the fellow in the comic book would be too old. So I looked him up and discovered that Max Baer Snr was indeed a boxer, and his son Max Baer Jnr was indeed Jethro in The Beverley Hillbillies. I'm sure that piece of info will come in handy one day!  :D

All in all, I think they probably achieved their aim. This would have been quite an exciting and fun comic for kids at the time. Thanks for selecting it.

What do others think?

I found Top Notch #1 pretty impressive in the art department, and there was a satisfying blend of subject matter which compares more than favourably with a lot of other mixed bag comics of the same era (though to my mind not quite up to the standard of Wonderworld, which as noted earlier, was a product of the famed Eisner/Iger studio.)

My main complaint is that their stories seem to end very suddenly. I'm often left turning the page onto a cartoon or a sports feature, and turning back again, thinking, oh, wait- was that the end? Most interesting to me is the last feature, Master Forgers, which GCD dismisses as "packaged by the Harry Chesler shop" but clearly bears the style and the signature of Jack Cole, creator of the inimitable Plastic Man.

But things change, and later The Wizard would become more of a superhero figure with tights and a cape, and was paired with The Shield - arguably a forerunner of Captain America. He also got his own kid sidekick, Roy the Super Boy. Visual standards deteriorated a bit but they still had some strong artists, like Irv Novick, Harry Lucey, and (my favourite) Bob Fujitani.

The same holds true for Wonderworld, if you go ahead another ten issues or so, even if the characters remain the same,  the art quality declines fairly sharply. But in general that's a regular characteristic of comics- you start off with your best writers and artists, and once you've got a title up and running, you move on and start something else, leaving the established features to the "also-rans." I'm sure they still do it now.

Thanks for your appreciation of Top Notch, I look forward to your assessment of Wonderworld.

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2022, 02:13:10 AM »

I've read most of the Top Notch comic and have a couple of comments.

On the second last page before the ads, they have a blurb about how the comic came to be and what they hope to achieve. They say they didn't rush in, but did a lot of thinking about what readers would like and this is the result. Their vision is 'streamlined fiction, stepped up to meet today's fast pace of living'. If they thought it was fast-paced in 1939, I wonder what they'd think now? But the comics do fit with that action-based style. It's worth reading that page for some insights into their process.

They mention that they're still learning [re how to do comics], and one thing I noticed was that the narration boxes for the comics were often at the bottom of the panel, and sometimes this made the reading confusing. For example, there were times when I read the dialogue and then the box at the bottom, as you would usually do, but found that the narration box was really meant to come first. So I guess at this stage, a lot of writers, illustrators and publishers were still getting the hang of how to put it all together. Though Superman comics I've read from that same era didn't have that problem.

Also there were a lot of educational features - A fact page about boxing and another about sport; a page of interesting facts (in which Hong Kong was still British); a four-page pulp fiction short story with illustrations; a puzzle page; and a true crime comic that showed how forensic techniques were used to catch a real counterfeiter. My favourite part of that story was the bit where they show you how to forge a signature. I'm not sure that's what they wanted kids to learn from a story, but I bet some tried it out.

All in all, I think they probably achieved their aim. This would have been quite an exciting and fun comic for kids at the time. Thanks for selecting it.

What do others think?

I found Top Notch #1 pretty impressive in the art department, and there was a satisfying blend of subject matter which compares more than favourably with a lot of other mixed bag comics of the same era (though to my mind not quite up to the standard of Wonderworld, which as noted earlier, was a product of the famed Eisner/Iger studio.)

My main complaint is that their stories seem to end very suddenly. I'm often left turning the page onto a cartoon or a sports feature, and turning back again, thinking, oh, wait- was that the end? Most interesting to me is the last feature, Master Forgers, which GCD dismisses as "packaged by the Harry Chesler shop" but clearly bears the style and the signature of Jack Cole, creator of the inimitable Plastic Man.

But things change, and later The Wizard would become more of a superhero figure with tights and a cape, and was paired with The Shield - arguably a forerunner of Captain America. He also got his own kid sidekick, Roy the Super Boy. Visual standards deteriorated a bit but they still had some strong artists, like Irv Novick, Harry Lucey, and (my favourite) Bob Fujitani.

The same holds true for Wonderworld, if you go ahead another ten issues or so, even if the characters remain the same,  the art quality declines fairly sharply. But in general that's a regular characteristic of comics- you start off with your best writers and artists, and once you've got a title up and running, you move on and start something else, leaving the established features to the "also-rans." I'm sure they still do it now.

Thanks for your appreciation of Top Notch, I look forward to your assessment of Wonderworld.

All the best
K1ngcat

Yes I agree that some of the stories end abruptly. I too turned the page a few times and was surprised to discover a funny comic when I thought the other story was still going. There were also a few plot holes. Maybe their desire to provide those fast-paced stories meant they missed a few steps along the way. I wonder if the writers and artists for each story had to keep to a certain number of pages and didn't always quite have enough room to flesh out the story.

Thanks for the extra information about the Wizard and the Shield. I'll have to check out other editions.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2022, 03:29:47 AM »

The Shield - arguably a forerunner of Captain America. 

Shield (Archie Comics)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shield_%28Archie_Comics%29
The Shield is the name of several superheroes created by MLJ (now known as Archie Comics). Appearing months before Captain America, the Shield has the distinction of being the first superhero with a costume based upon United States patriotic iconography. The character appeared in Pep Comics from issue #1 (Jan 1940) to #65 (Jan 1948).[1]

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2022, 04:34:02 AM »

The Shield - arguably a forerunner of Captain America. 

Shield (Archie Comics)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shield_%28Archie_Comics%29
The Shield is the name of several superheroes created by MLJ (now known as Archie Comics). Appearing months before Captain America, the Shield has the distinction of being the first superhero with a costume based upon United States patriotic iconography. The character appeared in Pep Comics from issue #1 (Jan 1940) to #65 (Jan 1948).[1]

Cheers!

Thanks for that link. I had already checked out the first Pep comic that Archie appeared in, so will have to check out the Shield. My reading list is getting longer and longer!  :D
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2022, 04:36:11 AM »

He becomes an FBI agent (whose secret identity is known only to FBI Chief J. Edgar Hoover)

Another character know for his affinity for flamboyant costumes.

PS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKHqEKwy90A
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 04:45:48 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2022, 12:38:21 AM »

Wonderworld Comics #7

The Flame
Okay, although the Kikoos backstory seems like there's a more interesting story left untold. Hundreds of years old, bulletproof, kept isolated by an unnamed government, I mean geeze, you just waste them as mooks to an unnamed crime boss???

Yarko the Great
"-and into the well with ye!" LOL! Did Burke care how deep the well was? Did he care if there was water to cushion their fall? Did he care that they could either break their necks or drown? Apparently not! Pure Golden Age character unlike those Silver Age wimps who respected a criminal's life.  ;)

As for the story, eh, it was okay, but the more I read stories with magic characters the more obvious it is that their powers are all plot dependent. Need the hero captured? He's easily captured. Need him to freeze the bad guys? He freezes the bad guys. Need a little drama? Oh, the freeze spell wore off! There is little rhyme or reason to what he can or can't do except the needs of the author. Sometimes magicians will have an in-built flaw like the magician must speak the spell or use a magic item, but too often magic just serves as a "Get out of plot free" card.

Shorty Shortcake in Guatemala
Ummmmmm... okay. Given the silliness of the story, it's hard to apply any standard of reality to it. It does have the feel of a movie cartoon to it.

Patty O'Day
Readable, but it seems like it's missing something. It's just "this happens, and that happens, and something else happens, and Patty gets a big scoop. Ho hum." Several dramatic things happen without any real sense of drama. It feels like a sketch for a longer, more dramatic story.

Dr. Fung
Okay.

Tommy Taylor in India
Eh. Tommy really isn't needed in this story. This is basically an excuse to rattle off some factoids about India and poorly disguising it as a story.

Tex Maxon
Okay.

Wonders That Are True!
Okay factoid page.

Don Quixote in Modern Times
Cute.  :)

K-51
Okay.

Mob Buster Robinson
Feels like a knock-off of Dell's Mr. District Attorney comic written about half as well.

Wonderworld Stamp Club
Nice bio.

Movie Memos
Okay.
Looking up info on this Glenda Carrol & it turns out it's a pen name for Bernard Baily.

Spark Stevens
Fast moving story (probably to keep the readers from thinking too hard about about the questionable story points.  ;) ), but at least it was entertaining.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2022, 01:56:18 AM »

Wonderworld Comics #7

The Flame
Okay, although the Kikoos backstory seems like there's a more interesting story left untold. Hundreds of years old, bulletproof, kept isolated by an unnamed government, I mean geeze, you just waste them as mooks to an unnamed crime boss???

Yarko the Great
"-and into the well with ye!" LOL! Did Burke care how deep the well was? Did he care if there was water to cushion their fall? Did he care that they could either break their necks or drown? Apparently not! Pure Golden Age character unlike those Silver Age wimps who respected a criminal's life.  ;)

As for the story, eh, it was okay, but the more I read stories with magic characters the more obvious it is that their powers are all plot dependent. Need the hero captured? He's easily captured. Need him to freeze the bad guys? He freezes the bad guys. Need a little drama? Oh, the freeze spell wore off! There is little rhyme or reason to what he can or can't do except the needs of the author. Sometimes magicians will have an in-built flaw like the magician must speak the spell or use a magic item, but too often magic just serves as a "Get out of plot free" card.

Shorty Shortcake in Guatemala
Ummmmmm... okay. Given the silliness of the story, it's hard to apply any standard of reality to it. It does have the feel of a movie cartoon to it.

Re the Kikoos, yes logically the fact that these bizarre creatures even exist, let alone that they could be brought to the USA and set to work for a mob boss is entirely ridiculous. But as a pre-teen comics reader who'd only ever previously read DC post code comics, they were a whole new world. I'd never seen comics being so scary before, let alone so tastefully illustrated, so to hell with logic! I first came across this story in a reprint mag called The Adventure Album, here:
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=64525
and it was a revelation. Please excuse my colouring, I'd never seen the Flame before and it made sense to me that he'd be dressed in red. It still does. I think the yellow costume sucks.

Yes magicians are an awkward bunch, they can all do exactly what they want, as long as the plot calls for it. Ibis is the worst of the lot. Yarko here is a little more amusing thanks to the character of Det. Burke, and I don't now think we can ignore the unspoken racism in the fact that heathens and infidels can be thrown down wells willy-nilly,  even if they are fat-shamers, but as Lou Reed said, "those were different times."

As for Shorty Shortcake, strangely this is the last kind of thing I'd expected from Iger, but a man draws what a man's gotta draw...

Thanks for your comments SS, looking forward to more!
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2022, 02:26:18 AM »

It got me thinking about other girl reporters of this era. Lois Lane is the most famous of this and any other era.

Amazing Man Comics #11 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=24360 features the introduction of two female reporters, Zona Henderson in the Amazing Man story and Nancy in the Shark story. (It seemed like Nancy would become a recurring character, but I don't think she made many appearances after this.)

Crackajack Funnies #26 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=78059 In the Owl story we have the introduction of Belle Wayne a reporter who is also the fiance of the Owl's secret identity. Later on she takes the identity of Owl Girl.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2022, 02:30:50 AM »

It got me thinking about other girl reporters of this era. Lois Lane is the most famous of this and any other era.

Amazing Man Comics #11 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=24360 features the introduction of two female reporters, Zona Henderson in the Amazing Man story and Nancy in the Shark story. (It seemed like Nancy would become a recurring character, but I don't think she made many appearances after this.)

Crackajack Funnies #26 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=78059 In the Owl story we have the introduction of Belle Wayne a reporter who is also the fiance of the Owl's secret identity. Later on she takes the identity of Owl Girl.

Thanks for those links. I've started a list of girl reporters, so will add those to my list. Thank you.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2022, 02:36:04 AM »

Wonderworld Comics #7

Patty O'Day
Readable, but it seems like it's missing something. It's just "this happens, and that happens, and something else happens, and Patty gets a big scoop. Ho hum." Several dramatic things happen without any real sense of drama. It feels like a sketch for a longer, more dramatic story.

Yes, I had the same feeling about Patty O'Day. On the one hand, I liked to see a gung-ho woman in the thick of the action taking newsreels, but I agree with you about the plot. I haven't had a chance yet, but I'm intending to check out her other appearances in other issues to see if that changes. So much on my reading list, so little time  ::)
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2022, 02:40:31 AM »

Yes magicians are an awkward bunch, they can all do exactly what they want, as long as the plot calls for it. Ibis is the worst of the lot. Yarko here is a little more amusing thanks to the character of Det. Burke, and I don't now think we can ignore the unspoken racism in the fact that heathens and infidels can be thrown down wells willy-nilly,  even if they are fat-shamers, but as Lou Reed said, "those were different times."

Yes, there are certainly a lot of racist and sexist comments in some of these early comics, but they were a product of their times and it's interesting to see how things have changed over the years (or not). Though I do wonder how people from different racial and ethnic groups feel when they read some of these old comics. It's one thing seeing them in their historical context, but some of the terms used and the accompanying attitudes and actions must still cut when reading them.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2022, 04:48:24 AM »

Here is my review of Wonderworld Comics 7:

(1) The Flame
The idea of a tribe of super-strong, small-brained, or weak-brained, over-violent, semi-humans, being used as a personal army of thugs has been used before, in various guises (including Island of Lost Souls (Dr. Moreau), and similar situations to this one (a lost tribe in a secluded valley - used by a power hungry villain to terrorise the nearest outposts of civilization). As is usual with such horror stories, the science makes no sense.  These "monsters" can live hundreds of years, because of their country's environment (of course-not explained), and their is so tough bullets bounce off of it.  Made tough by the cold, dry winds of The Gobi Desert.  After hundreds of years of life, they have unbelievable strength, and yet are skin and bone, with no musculature taking up space. They have the minds of children, and love to hurt other people, and so, can be cajoled by evil men into doing their bidding.  Why would they follow orders from strangers?  Why not just commit their thuggery on their own?  The artwork on this story is excellent.  The colouring could be better, to my taste.

(2) Yarko The Great - Master of Magic

Another Magician who uses magic to foil criminals.  I always thought Magicians just fooled not-so-observant people by using slight-of-hand.  I didn't know they could make images of themselves be seen by anyone they wished (and not by others in the same place) many miles away from where they are, by using only their mental powers, and also talk to selected people at those distances.  So, Yarko, the magician nips in the bud, a revolt of a tiny disaffected Maghrebi tribe or group who wants freedom from France's rule in Saharan Algeria, Morocco, or Tunisia?  Good thing for The French Empire that Yarko was there.  I guess that Captain DuPre' will NOT be able to recount everything as it occurred in his report, for fear of being relieved of his duties, and sent to a "rest home".  The artwork on this story is fairly primitive, as were many during the late 1930s and early 1940s.

(3) Shorty Shortcake in Guatamala

This comedy is quite a change-of-pace from tis book's first 2 stories.  The premise of that little child being tougher and so much better a fighter than grown sailors, vaqueros, and all-around thugs is refreshing for one story, but would get old very quickly.  The joke of the ridiculously long Spanish family surnames is all too common, and too long a list after the point has been made.  The artwork is okay, but nothing special.

(4) Patty O'Day - Newsreel Reporter

Here we have, already, another female reporter, only THIS one gets her OWN strip!  Much to the delight of Quirky Quokka's curiosity.  Well timed!  Of course, the young reporters unauthorised trip to the tail end of the plane leads to their seeing something they weren't meant to see (which naturally, is part of a crime being committed.  Her partner, Ham, stopped a saboteur from disabling the plane, and also rescued a drowning passenger.  The heroine got camera shots of the pilot's landing of the disabled plane on the ocean's surface, and their rescue, and took the film to her newspaper's office on a plane provided by the naval officer, who rescued them.  We never find out who the saboteur was, and what his mission was, and why, and who was behind that action.  not very satisfying.

(5) Dr. Fung - Master Sleuth of The Orient

Yet another of many clones of "Charlie Chan", and "Mr. Wong".  Dr. Fung is old and wise, and Chinese, as is Mr. Wong.  But, Fung has an American sidekick.  Dan is a good fighter.  He takes on five thugs all at once!  But, at least this story has a bit of realism, as the five overcome him, and take him prisoner.  Brilliant quick-thinking by Fung saves Dan from an agonizing death, and Dan breaks his manacles,  and frees und, while the villainess escapes.  We must wait until reading the next issue to find out what happens next.  The artwork in this story is good, and the storyline makes more sense, and is a lot more believable than that of the other stories, so far.

(6) Tommy Taylor in India - Text "Story"
This is more of a Travelogue/Travel advert, providing information about some tourist attractions one can see in India.

(7) Tex Maxon - Hot Lead Rumba on Crazy Woman Creek

This one, at the very least, has an interesting title.  But, I think what the cattle rustlers did in this story, in a short time is far from realistic.  They stole cattle from a corral, then drove them along railroad tracks for awhile, and then butchered them, and took their hides and wait for a freight train to come along, and holds up the train and takes the engineer and fireman prisoner, planning to drive the train across a bridge, and some miles morello a town where they can sell the hides.  I don't think the story has a time break during which they could have butchered all the cattle, and cleaned the blood off the hides and had them dry out.  And wouldn't they get a LOT more money selling the cows alive, on the hoof, rather than just selling uncured hides?  Yes, the brands on live cows might be used to incriminate them, but there were always some unsavoury, dishonest characters, who would like to buy cattle cheap, and sell them for more to unscrupulous meat packers.  They could have sold them to someone who would sell them to a meatpacker in Kansas City.  It's not really realistic.  Driving cattle is very slow.  Cowboys from the ranch from where the cattle were stolen could have sent a man to get the local Sheriff or Marshal and have them bring a posse of deputies (from other local ranchers), and followed the cow tracks from their corral and along the railroad tracks, and on horses, would have caught up with the thieves very quickly.  The scene where the ranch hands find the bones of their cattle is wrong.  They shouldn't have found sun-bleached, white bones, but rather, a bloody mess, with meat and fat lying around.  The ranchers catching up with the rustlers was realistic.  But, it was an irrational plan by the crooks.  No one living and working in those rural ranch areas would be that ignorant, and stupid.

{8) Wonders That are True!
I'd bet that "The Man Kills Panther" story was exaggerated.  The other entries aren't very interesting.

(9) Don Quixote in Modern Times

An interesting premise, and I like the plot and artwork.  I'd have liked to write and draw this strip, back in the mid-to-late 1950s.  It would be too tame, and old-fashioned to hold interest of today's kids.  Also, I'd rather have had at least 5 or 6 pages of 4-tiers of panels with which to work.  Two-page "stories", are really not stories, but are just elongated gags.  This one was a quite common cliche.  Bu, iQuixote is characterized really well, and is funny enough, based on the artwork.  With 6 pages, regularly, I could have running gags with Sancho, and between the two of them, continuing across the entire series.

(10) K-51 Spies At War

With K-51 as the agent's name, I expected that this story would be about The US WWII Canine Service, especially involving a plot (ostensibly Japanese Military) to take over The Philippine Islands. Interesting that a German (von Diableff) was involved.  It's a reasonably possible foreshadowing of the fact that The Japanese were heavily considering attacking US land holdings and military installations in The Pacific Region as early as mid 1939.  I like the premise, and the action.  The artwork is fairly good, the staging is good, but the backgrounds are relatively sparse.  All in all, this was my favourite story in this book, so far.

(11) Mob Buster Robinson

This story is unusual, in that a District Attorney, seemingly in New York, The largest, most important city in USA, who is well-known enough to have a nickname based on his reputation as a major buster of organised crime in that city, infiltrates a gang using no real disguise.  Actually, someone whose face is so well-known by the public, would actually need to have plastic surgery changing his entire face.  Of course, he is recognised by a gang member.  And he is all alone against an entire mob.  And a miracle happens, that just as the mob leader is about to kill him, the police (who he had alerted earlier) arrive to save him.  In real life, he would be fired by the city, for doing something so foolish, and risking losing their city's top criminal prosecutor.  The artwork is fairly primitive, with little details shown in the characters' faces.  The artist's knowledge of anatomy is weak.  The characters are elongated, arms and legs too long, and men all the same size.  The staging was okay.  Background details were a little sparse and sketchy.  But the killer was that the storyline was absurd.  How could a novice pass as a master diamond cutter?   Did he take a crash course in diamond cutting just before this infiltration operation???  This story was just not well thought out.  It appears that the writer and artist were still making up the story while the artist was drawing it!

(12) Movie Memos
Jean Parker is a good likeness.  Robert Young doesn't look much like himself.  And that was clearly copied from a photo.  Not a very good job.  Mae West looks TOO Good!  She would have loved to have looked like that!  Edward Everett Horton looks more like a skinny Robert Mitchum.  Not impressive.

(13) Spark Stevens of The Navy

This story has an interesting storyline, with an outside colonial power scheming to take over Cuba, despite The US' "Monroe Doctrine", pledging to keep Eastern Hemisphere colonial powers from taking over any South or North American country's territory.  Two naive, careless, and stupid sailors show a Flamenco dancer clacking out morse code messages with her castanets (an unexpectedly innovative story element) that they know what she is doing, landing them as prisoners in a guarded cell of a castle on the ocean shore.  They see their US Navy destroyer sailing nearby, and send them morse code signals by reflecting The Sun's rays off a metal food plate.  The ship's crew starts bombarding the castle.  The prisoners just happen to find a spare length of barbed wire in side their cell, and stick it into their electrical socket, charging the barbed wire surrounding the castle.  When the bombing gets worse, and enemy agents try to jump the barbed wire fencing, they get electrocuted.  The two seamen prisoners escape, when the chief villain comes to kill them.  They find grenades, and use a Jai-alai cesta (hurling glove) to fling them far enough to kill the remaining enemy agents and revolutionaries.  After the two sailors are safe, they return to the port town and ask the Flamenco dancer for the "date" they missed.  They turn her over to the Naval Shore Police.   All in all not too bad.  lots of action.  The artwork was a bit primitive.  The figures are elongated, some of the staging is weird, with body areas cut off that don't need to be, and weird camera angles.  Like several other stories in this book, the artists seems to use clothing to hide the fact that he doesn't know Human anatomy very well, and is not used to drawing it accurately.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 08:15:09 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2022, 09:37:49 PM »

(4) Patty O'Day - Newsreel Reporter

Here we have, already, another female reporter, only THIS one gets her OWN strip!  Much to the delight of Quirky Quokka's curiosity.  Well timed!  Of course, the young reporters unauthorised trip to the tail end of the plane leads to their seeing something they weren't meant to see (which naturally, is part of a crime being committed.  Her partner, Ham, stopped a saboteur from disabling the plane, and also rescued a drowning passenger.  The heroine got camera shots of the pilot's landing of the disabled plane on the ocean's surface, and their rescue, and took the film to her newspaper's office on a plane provided by the naval officer, who rescued them.  We never find out who the saboteur was, and what his mission was, and why, and who was behind that action.  not very satisfying.

Yes, I was interested to find a female reporter with her own strip, though this wasn't the most riveting story and there are a few loose ends, as you say. But I have high hopes she will go on to bigger and better things, and I intend to check out her other strips. Haven't had time yet.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2022, 01:34:50 AM »

This is a little bit of a tangent, but I mentioned the Patty O'Day story in one of my posts, and I decided to look back and see some of her other strips. I discovered that she first appeared in Wonder Comics (the predecessor to Wonderworld Comics). The first story in Wonder World #1 features a superhero called Wonderman. At the end of that comic, it promises another exciting story of Wonderman in the next issue.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=26891

But in Wonder World #2, there is a note that says: "Sorry there's not enough room in this issue for the Wonder Man, but he'll be back with you soon in bigger and better adventures."

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=29105

A few months ago, I read a book called "The Classic Era of American Comics" by Nicky Wright, and I remember him mentioning Wonderman. So I did a quick search to refresh my memory.  Wonderman only appeared in that one issue of Wonder Comics and was never seen again because DC Comics sued them for copyright infringement over the similarities between Wonderman and Superman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Man_(Fox_Publications)

Wonder Comics only lasted the two issues and then became Wonderworld Comics. Some of the characters remained the same (e.g., Yarko the Great and Patty O'Day), but no more Wonderman.

(P.S. For some reason that last link doesn't seem to be working, though I've copied and pasted it a few times. But if you click on it, you'll then see another link that does work.)

« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 01:38:50 AM by Quirky Quokka »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2022, 02:10:15 AM »

I believe one page of the second Wonderman story was found and printed in Nemo magazine. So a second story, at least, was finished, but only the one page has surfaced.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2022, 02:13:31 AM »

I believe one page of the second Wonderman story was found and printed in Nemo magazine. So a second story, at least, was finished, but only the one page has surfaced.

That's interesting. They were obviously planning to make Wonderman into a main character until the law suit. Interesting that it happened so early in the era.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2022, 05:33:47 AM »

Ironic then that Marvel took advantage of the lapsed copyright to re-use the name as they did with quite a few other lapsed copyright names from the Golden Age. Daredevil and Captain Marvel probably being the most prominent.

This is interesting. Uncovered it yesterday when researching something earlier.

In 1939, Will Eisner was commissioned to create Wonder Man for Victor Fox, an accountant who had previously worked at DC Comics and was becoming a comic book publisher himself. Following Fox's instructions to create a Superman-type character, and using the pen name Willis, Eisner wrote and drew the first issue of Wonder Comics. Eisner said in interviews throughout his later life that he had protested the derivative nature of the character and story, and that when subpoenaed after National Periodical Publications, the company that would evolve into DC Comics, sued Fox, alleging Wonder Man was an illegal copy of Superman, Eisner testified that this was so, undermining Fox's case; Eisner even depicts himself doing so in his semi-autobiographical graphic novel The Dreamer. However, a transcript of the proceeding, uncovered by comics historian Ken Quattro in 2010, indicates Eisner in fact supported Fox and claimed Wonder Man as an original Eisner creation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Eisner

Cheers,   
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2022, 07:45:43 AM »

Ironic then that Marvel took advantage of the lapsed copyright to re-use the name as they did with quite a few other lapsed copyright names from the Golden Age. Daredevil and Captain Marvel probably being the most prominent.

This is interesting. Uncovered it yesterday when researching something earlier.

In 1939, Will Eisner was commissioned to create Wonder Man for Victor Fox, an accountant who had previously worked at DC Comics and was becoming a comic book publisher himself. Following Fox's instructions to create a Superman-type character, and using the pen name Willis, Eisner wrote and drew the first issue of Wonder Comics. Eisner said in interviews throughout his later life that he had protested the derivative nature of the character and story, and that when subpoenaed after National Periodical Publications, the company that would evolve into DC Comics, sued Fox, alleging Wonder Man was an illegal copy of Superman, Eisner testified that this was so, undermining Fox's case; Eisner even depicts himself doing so in his semi-autobiographical graphic novel The Dreamer. However, a transcript of the proceeding, uncovered by comics historian Ken Quattro in 2010, indicates Eisner in fact supported Fox and claimed Wonder Man as an original Eisner creation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Eisner

Cheers,

Thanks for that link. I clicked on the reference at the bottom of the page (Ref. 22) and read the article about the testimony, but when I tried to click on the scanned copies of the actual pages of testimony, I got error messages saying I didn't have permission. The article was interesting though.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2022, 08:20:52 AM »

Trying to sneak in some comments...I've been tied up with a project.

Wonderworld #7

It's fascinating to see major talents in their early days. The first thing that struck me is how strong Will Eisner's influence is in Bob Powell's  signed work, especially in the hero's face and posing of fight scenes. I could swear Eisner drew the Yarko story. Check out our page 12, panel 1. Both men look like early Eisner characters. Knowing that even back then Eisner worked with a studio, it's possible that he drew (or redrew) other artists' figures. Or maybe it is him. Who knows?

The cover certainly would have caught my eye on the newsstand. Truly creepy monsters, beautiful Lou Fine anatomy, and the inevitable cringing damsel.

The Flame: This is one of several stories in this book that are almost diagrammatic. There is plenty of action and bizarre characters, but the script is written in such a flat "this then this then this" manner that not even the art can make it interesting. One puzzling moment: the villain tortures our hero to "loosen his tongue," but he never asked The Flame to tell him anything to begin with. I guess he just wanted to hear The Flame yell, "Arrrrghrrbl!!"

Yarko the Great, as others have suggested, showcases how boring a "real magic" character can be. Yarko can basically do anything. The script implies that he loses his powers when he's blindfolded but that's not clear. What is clear is that once he's in a cell Yarko can walk through the iron bars and freeze the entire contingent of baddies. So why the heck does he waste ectoplasm having Burke bring the cavalry? He teleports the captive to safety; why not then teleport himself out of there and blow up the fort from the comfort of his own living room?

This problem is what drives me crazy about Ibis the Invincible and his stupid Ibistick. The Ibistick grants Ibis the power to do absolutely anything from make coffee to move planets. When he's faced with a mystery, he could quite easily say, "Ibistick, identify the murderers and send them to jail" and that'd be the end of it. To have any story at all Ibis must choose to do only minor tricks, delaying the big reveal. In the meantime he's knocked over the head or loses the Ibistick down a drain. I would've thought the average kid would have soon tired of this, but Ibis the Invincible lasted a long time so I guess not. But back to the subject.

Our page 15 has a classic artistic cop-out. The villain addresses "my brothers of the border tribes" but in the huge room we see him, a flautist, a dancing girl, and one guy sitting in the corner. On the next page, when "the entire assembly" looks up at Yarko we see two guys sitting in the corner. There seems to be a brother shortage on the border.

Shorty Shortcake offers some laughs though the clunky cartooning makes some sequences hard to read. Interesting to see a couple of of instances of real Spanish, like pobrecito and es verdad! Comic book Spanish was almost always limited to si, senor" and "caramba." As for story  logic, isn't it lucky the sheriff happened to have a pet porcupine?

To be continued...
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2022, 06:52:59 PM »

?Wonderworld #7

It's fascinating to see major talents in their early days. The first thing that struck me is how strong Will Eisner's influence is in Bob Powell's  signed work, especially in the hero's face and posing of fight scenes. I could swear Eisner drew the Yarko story. Check out our page 12, panel 1. Both men look like early Eisner characters. Knowing that even back then Eisner worked with a studio, it's possible that he drew (or redrew) other artists' figures. Or maybe it is him. Who knows?

crash, I'm almost certain I see Eisner's hand in the Yarko story, both in the situations and the look of the characters, most notably Burke. If you look at the Yarko strip  in WW#5,
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=27927
the look of the villain, his hubris, "I am Vadim, a genius!" and the overhead views like panel 4 page 14, are all highly suggestive of Eisner's plotting and art, if Powell was involved it could have surely only been on the inking side?
Toni Blum gets the scripting credits for that one, is that name known to anyone out there?

Looking forward to the rest of your review
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2022, 07:31:39 PM »

Toni Blum gets the scripting credits for that one, is that name known to anyone out there?

Her GCD entry https://www.comics.org/creator/13211/

The Stripper's Guide entry https://strippersguide.blogspot.com/2015/04/ink-slinger-profiles-by-alex-jay-audrey.html
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2022, 02:03:31 AM »

(1) The Flame
The idea of a tribe of super-strong, small-brained, or weak-brained, over-violent, semi-humans, being used as a personal army of thugs has been used before, in various guises

These critters reminded me of some apelike hominids in a Doc Savage thriller. They weren't too clear in that story on whether these beasts were evolved apes or degenerate humans.
I've heard of a legendary Chimpaneze species called by locals "the Lion Killers". Aparently very large and intelligent, perhaps not chimps at all.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2022, 06:38:14 PM »

This is a little bit of a tangent, but I mentioned the Patty O'Day story in one of my posts, and I decided to look back and see some of her other strips. I discovered that she first appeared in Wonder Comics (the predecessor to Wonderworld Comics). The first story in Wonder World #1 features a superhero called Wonderman. At the end of that comic, it promises another exciting story of Wonderman in the next issue.

A few months ago, I read a book called "The Classic Era of American Comics" by Nicky Wright, and I remember him mentioning Wonderman. So I did a quick search to refresh my memory.  Wonderman only appeared in that one issue of Wonder Comics and was never seen again because DC Comics sued them for copyright infringement over the similarities between Wonderman and Superman.

Thanks for turning that up, QQ, it's a fascinating look into Eisner's early work. The similarities to Superman seem pretty conclusive, including his "timid" alter ego and his ability to "leap" rather than fly - I understand the flying power only came about after the designers of the animated series found leaping didn't cut it outside of comics. The one-panel origin is pretty weak but no worse than all the 40s heroes who had their powers bestowed up them by Tibetan Lamas and the like. It's also interesting to see the "Playboy" Berold character,  as Eisner used to write The Flame's adventures under the pen name Basil Berold.

And so Fox Publications was set up by an ex-DC accountant? What a dog! ;)
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2022, 12:42:20 AM »

Thanks for turning that up, QQ, it's a fascinating look into Eisner's early work. The similarities to Superman seem pretty conclusive, including his "timid" alter ego and his ability to "leap" rather than fly - I understand the flying power only came about after the designers of the animated series found leaping didn't cut it outside of comics. The one-panel origin is pretty weak but no worse than all the 40s heroes who had their powers bestowed up them by Tibetan Lamas and the like. It's also interesting to see the "Playboy" Berold character,  as Eisner used to write The Flame's adventures under the pen name Basil Berold.

That book by Nicky Wright was really detailed in terms of all the different US companies, how they got started, who ran them, who they joined with or who took them over. I can't remember all the ins and outs, as it was a library book I don't have handy, but it has lots of little snippets like that. I must take it out again now I've found this group, as a number of comments people are making are sparking distant memories for me. 'I know I read that somewhere'  :D
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2022, 04:40:54 AM »

That book by Nicky Wright was really detailed in terms of all the different US companies, how they got started, who ran them, who they joined with or who took them over. I can't remember all the ins and outs, as it was a library book I don't have handy, but it has lots of little snippets like that. I must take it out again now I've found this group, as a number of comments people are making are sparking distant memories for me. 'I know I read that somewhere'  :D

Maybe it was "American Comic Book Chronicles" published by Two Morrows Publishing?  It has very long and detailed different volumes for (1) 1934-39, (2) 1940-44, (3) 1945-49, (4) 1950-59, (5) 1960-69, (6) 1970-79, {8) 1980-89.  Different volumes were written by different people.  It is a great historical resource to follow the path of that industry.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 03:58:50 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.