in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #281 Spy Hunters 3 Undercover Girl 5

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #281 Spy Hunters 3 Undercover Girl 5  (Read 2407 times)

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #281 Spy Hunters 3 Undercover Girl 5
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2022, 05:23:51 AM »

Hi everyone

Thanks for letting me put forward the suggestions this fortnight. I’m putting my thoughts up a day early as I don’t think I’ll get a chance tomorrow.

Well, it seems that most of you liked Undercover Girl more than Spy Hunters, and I did too. What a gal! I first heard about her in Hope Nicholson’s book ‘The Spectacular Sisterhood of Superwomen: Awesome Female Characters from Comic Book History’. Of all the Golden Age heroines she mentioned, I’d only heard of a few. I don’t think many of those comics made it to Australia, including Undercover Girl, so I was thrilled when I saw some of the names on this site. Spy Hunters was a bit more of a random choice. I had a quick look at some of the spy titles and thought this one might make a good comparison. I didn’t dislike it as much as some of you did, but it’s not one of my favourites either. Here are a few specific comments about each title (and some of you have already picked up on some of these).

SPY-HUNTERS #3

Adventures of a Spy – Jonathan Kent

I knew very little of this part of history, so I looked up the dates of the Korean War. The war actually started six months after this story was published, but as Captain Audio mentioned, Americans did leave equipment behind after WWII. The story was okay, but probably would have been more interesting at the time, given the context. Imagine if you had bought this comic book, and then American and North Korea were at war six months later?

The Spy Whose Blood Boiled - Short Story

I thought this story had an interesting twist re what pressure does to the body at high altitudes, though a little grisly.

Date With Danger

I thought this one stretched believability a bit too far with the communist spies mishearing a recording about the Common Tern. Maybe they would make the mistake the first time, though I would have thought they’d eventually realise their mistake. I didn’t realise that the Comintern were a real group until crashryan mentioned it. I did get a bit confused with the third panel on the top of the last page. I assume the birds attacked, but it’s hard to tell.

The Vain Dictator – Short Story

This story about a rocket scientist who goes against his country to get a better deal did put me in mind of Wernher von Braun who built missiles for the Nazis, but was then instrumental in getting Americans to the moon.

The Sleep of Death

The opening scenarios of this anti-Fascist story did make me think of anti-vilification laws that deny free speech to anyone who opposes certain groups. There can be grey areas in advocating against hate speech, while at the same time giving people the freedom to express an honest opinion.

School for Spies – Fact Sheet

This was interesting, but I’m not sure truth serums work that well. They can make people suggestible, but aren’t reliable.

Jeopardy in the Jungle

The stereotyped representation of the Filipino sidekick stood out for me, but at least he was instrumental in the action.

Most of the stories included some romantic interest, though it was pretty contrived and didn’t really work for me. Maybe they were trying to get teenage girls interested in the stories.

Overall, I thought it was interesting to read these stories in the context of what was happening at the time, and perhaps surprising to see that some of these issues haven’t gone away. Not my favourite comic, but interesting enough that I might look at another issue of this title.

UNDERCOVER GIRL #5

I was really interested to see that Gardner Fox did the scripts for these. A few weeks ago, I received a copy of the Batgirl Bronze Age Omnibus Volume 1, from the 1960s and 1970s, and he wrote the first few of those stories, including Batgirl’s Million Dollar Debut. I know that the character of Batgirl was rebooted with Barbara Gordon in 1967 as a result of the TV show, but I wonder if Starr Flagg may have also influenced how Gardner Fox wrote the character? At least they’re both brilliant at martial arts and ride motorcycles. I also really liked Ogden Whitney’s art throughout.

The Mystery of the Stolen Secrets

I liked the overall story, though there were a few plot holes. Why didn’t Dan wonder why brightly-coloured patches had been sewn onto the outside of his shirt when there were no rips? What kind of coded message could there be with just a few coloured patches? It couldn’t have been very complicated and depended on him wearing that shirt at the right time. And why would an experienced spy like Starr Flagg just waltz up to the commandant’s house at night to give him a message? Surely a good way to break her cover. If only they’d had mobile phones in 1952.

The Riddle of the Radio-Death

What a gal. She’s not afraid to run right into danger, and everyone loves a good cat fight. It was an interesting way to conceal the weapon, though pretty unlikely.

The House that Hate Built

Closing remark from Starr - “We’ll be free to keep up the fight for liberty and freedom somewhere else on earth.” I can feel the patriotism rising and I’m not even American.

Jeopardy in Jade

Is there nothing this girl won’t do? Jumping into shark-infested waters to fight the bad guy. She hires divers to help her look for the jade ring, but none of them have scuba tanks, though a quick google search showed me that the name SCUBA only came about in 1952.

Best line – ‘Starr Flagg has a trick up her sleeveless bathing suit.’

Final picture – What woman wouldn’t wear high heels while sunning herself in a bikini?

Beauty and the Beast

Hinges on the idea that the gorilla thought she was Madam Darkova because she’d swapped clothing with her. But wouldn’t the gorilla know by smell?

In spite of the plot holes, I really enjoyed this comic book. I think Starr Flagg is a great character. As others have said, she would have benefitted from longer stories. These may have just been cobbled together from the stories she had in Manhunt. But I did enjoy them, and will be reading the other Undercover Girl books.

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to seeing what’s on the list for the next fortnight.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 08:52:50 AM by Quirky Quokka »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2022, 07:47:24 AM »

Interesting about superhero cossies and capes.  The Phantom never had a cape and early British pulp hero, The Iron Man sported light chain mail.  When The Big Red Cheese and Co disappeared and in UK Marvelman, Young And Kid replaced them, no capes.
Capes can look great even though we all know how impractical they can be.  Oddly, they don't appear as often in Marvel comics. Or at all.  Got me thinking.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2022, 07:59:40 AM »

Spy Hunters 3

1) Adventures Of A Spy
This story didn't impress me as being even remotely believable.  And I bet that chief editor, Richard Hughes, wrote it, as he did a large percentage of ACG's stories.  Not that he was one of the greatest comic book writers, but I would say this is not up to his general standard.  I guess that he was writing so many stories at that time that he hardly had any time to do research, or think clearly about them.  Would a "spy" or government intelligence officer offer up information about his mission to a civilian who he hardly knows, and who has no security clearance? - And bases his request that she be allowed to accompany him on his secret mission to write a story about it?  That is especially unbelievable given that The US Secret Service and military Intelligence departments are not allowed to reveal such information until at least 50 years after missions' events, and even then, not all information is released to the public.  And worse yet, Kent used the reasoning that Penny was "trustworthy" because she knew more about the case he was working on than any other journalist, and all she knew about was told her by him!  What kind of secret agent is he???? She could have been working for The Russians or North Koreans for all he knew.  What kind of military intelligence officer would allow Kent to take a journalist with him to Korea to find the location of The US stash of military equipment left for The South Korean military to use?  Especially one whose background couldn't be checked thoroughly in the little time before Kent needed to leave.  Kent convinces his boss with a bizarre idea that "the right kind of publicity about The Communists' underhanded methods" could hurt their credibility - (e.g. make it tougher for them to convince South Koreans to join them.)

The plot of the story moved way too quickly for my taste, so that very little happened in the story, and NONE of it was unexpected.  And the writer was given 12 full pages.  Often such stories get only 8.  So, it is clear that lots of panel space and even whole pages were wasted.  Just a tiny detail, but I doubt that there was a large island off the coast of Northern California, a few hundred miles north of San Francisco in 1947.  And there wasn't, one there for at least several million years, despite it being on the map shown.  But, for once, I don't mind the US self-serving publicity about their fighting against Communism for the freedom of other countries, when the Korean officer in their Foreign Office thanks The US and Kent for fighting Communism, because his country had suffered from many years of harsh Japanese rule, and now that they have had a taste of freedom, they don't want to lose it.

All in all, however, this was not a well-crafted, and thus, a disappointing lead story.

2) The Spy Whose Blood Boiled - Text Story
I think it is ridiculous that this "story" is based on The US military developing a high-altitude bomber that can go as high as 65,000 feet, which requires a pressurized suit, because the cabin isn't pressurized to a high enough degree.  Furthermore, it is too hard to believe that an automatic landing system could be made that would work perfectly enough in all weather and situations that it could land a jet plane safely without any Human guidance almost all the time.  Large airplanes were too expensive to risk.  This was too much like "magic" in 1947, and really reaching, to try to come up with an interesting plot.

3) Date With Danger
I don't like such large amounts of dialogue.  But, I probably also wouldn't have wanted ALL that information provided in narrative boxes.  I also dislike use of sing unnatural conversation (e.g. gang members telling their colleagues what they already know, because they all participated in the previous activity being discussed.  But, I suppose the only alternative to that is using extra large narrative boxes full of boring information about what the author wants the readers to know.  I think using the coincidence of Commentary and Common turn as a plot device to drive the story is generally good, because it allows the author to provide clues to the reader earlier in the story, without ruining the suspense.  And the uncommon use of the word "agents" instead of "advocates" or associates provides an additional clue to the junior detectives among the readers.  Clearly, the Communist agents are implied to be Russians, but we see the publishing policy of not wanting to provoke an international incident, by implying that The Soviet Union and USA might be enemies, when no war has been declared.  So, the author uses "Motherland", and taking The Professor to "Europe", instead of "Russia". 

I think this coincidence would have made a great story about a coincidence leading to an innocent, naive ornithologist being kidnapped and taken from his native USA to Russia by mistake, but, for the first time in his life, he is treated royally, and he likes it, and, goes along with it for awhile.  And after being found NOT to be the person in question, for his own safety, he pretends to, also by coincidence, have been a Communist sympathiser, and not only swears allegiance to The Party, but trains in their system to become an agent for The Commies back home in America.  And so, he ends up becoming a master double agent, helping The US Intelligence capture Soviet agents operating in their country.  Of course such a plot would require a comic book series to cover with proper pacing.  It would have also been a great plot for a late 1940s or early 1950s spy film.  It would have been a perfect vehicle for Robert Donat in the 1930s, but then, it would have involved a British professor being kidnapped to Germany, which is too close geographically to be as dramatic as USA to behind The Iron Curtain.  If I were younger, I might pick this idea up as a pet project!. It is amazing how such a small thing as a word spelling coincidence could possibly change a person's life towards a completely different direction!

However, despite not having enough pages to even finish a first episode of my plot described above, the author of THIS comic book's story did a good job of adding an interesting touch, by having the previously timid professor rise to the occasion as a patriot, and physically stand up to his two kidnappers (also bringing the romance angle into the story).  And it was also a reasonable touch to have the milquetoast professor be young enough to have fought in the recent World War II (which almost every young man from 18 through 35 had done), to have him experienced in using a pistol (although using a rifle was far more common).  So, this story was   a LOT better constructed, and much more interesting to me  than the others in this book).

4) The Vain Dictator - Text Story
Not a very good or reasonably believable plot.  Not very inventive or well thought out.  It demonstrates yet again how the low page rate meant that the writers specializing in one and two-page text stories had to crank them out without being able to devote almost any time to deep thinking and certainly no time for any research.

5) The Sleep Of Death
Interesting that they used the name "Oppenheim" for the scientist who developed the sleep drug, which could be a non-lethal method for  taking the place of destructive wars, especially given the Dr. Oppenheimer was one of the main developers of the atomic bomb.  I like that the hero has a personal stake in tracking down the murderer of his friend, who had saved his life during The War.  And the right wing demagogue tricking the hero into thinking he murdered someone to ensure his loyalty is an interesting device.  Also the hero's need to romance the leader's daughter is also a nice touch.  But, unfortunately, the leader's daughter saving the hero is too obvious, and exactly what I (and probably most readers would have) suspected.  So, it leaves the reader with a big letdown.  Also, the demagogue has a plan that is completely unlikely to work.  So he is not a very scary threat.  That results in very little suspense, and the reader not identifying with the hero and US population, and so, not really "living in the story", or taking a stake in the outcome.  A country of 150 million people can't be taken over by a group of 50 to 100 thugs, most of whom don't know how to operate military equipment, no matter how many people the put to sleep.And people in all the awake areas would soon find out what was going on, and stop the offenders before they would get more than a few cities sleeping.  It's not likely that a decent portion of The US population would want to join a handful of madmen in an attempted revolution.

6) School For Spies - Educational Page
Interesting information

7) Jeopardy In The Jungle
Again, they name no real countries (using "Slavonian" instead of Slovenian, or another East European people) to be considered an enemy of USA, or The Republic Of The Philippines.  There was a Slavonian people in The Balkans up until the early Middle Ages).  Where on Luzon are mountains high enough to be covered with snow? Apparently, the stashing of military equipment during WWII was a commonly used tool in late 1940s and early 1950s comic book stories.  The author did a decent job of hiding the fact that the "Slavonian" woman was not really a Communist, with just the slight clue that the hero started falling for her.  Are "The Huks" really a Pilipino tribe?  Not a bad story.  But not a very memorable one.  It was too short to form a worthy plot with decent pacing, and providing enough action and provision of background information to the reader.

Overall Assessment
Decent artwork, but nothing special.  One well-crafted, clever, interesting, memorable story ("Date With Danger"), and the rest too short, and not very well thought out.  Still, worth reading for the experience, especially for someone who has not read many Spy genre comics.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 02:40:22 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2022, 08:45:47 AM »

Interesting about superhero cossies and capes.  The Phantom never had a cape and early British pulp hero, The Iron Man sported light chain mail.  When The Big Red Cheese and Co disappeared and in UK Marvelman, Young And Kid replaced them, no capes.
Capes can look great even though we all know how impractical they can be.  Oddly, they don't appear as often in Marvel comics. Or at all.  Got me thinking.

Thanks for that. Your comment got me thinking too, so I consulted Dr Google. Thor is one Marvel character who wears a cape. I'm afraid I'm more of a DC gal than a Marvel gal, so I'm not up on many of the others. Apparently in the early days, capes were often used for superheroes who could fly (like Superman) because it was easier to represent movement with a cape. For those who couldn't fly (like Batman), a cape could be used for gliding. It could also hide cool things. But for some heroes, it must just get in the way.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2022, 08:50:30 AM »

Spy Hunters 3
This story didn't impress me as being even remotely believable.  And I bet that chief editor, Richard Hughes, wrote it, as he did a large percentage of ACG's stories.  Not that he was one of the greatest comic book writers, but I would say this is not up to his general standard.  I guess that he was writing so many stories at that time that he hardly had any time to do research, or think clearly about them.  Would a "spy" or government intelligence officer offer up information about his mission to a civilian who he hardly knows, and who has no security clearance? - And bases his request that she be allowed to accompany him on his secret mission to write a story about it?  That is especially unbelievable given that The US Secret Service and military Intelligence departments are not allowed to reveal such information until at least 50 years after missions' events, and even then, not all information is released to the public.  And worse yet, Kent used the reasoning that Penny was "trustworthy" because she knew more about the case he was working on than any other journalist, and all she knew about was told her by him!  What kind of secret agent is he???? She could have been working for The Russians or North Koreans for all he knew.  What kind of military intelligence officer would allow Kent to take a journalist with him to Korea to find the location of The US stash of military equipment left for The South Korean military to use?  Especially one whose background couldn't be checked thoroughly in the little time before Kent needed to leave.  Kent convinces his boss with a bizarre idea that "the right kind of publicity about The Communists' underhanded methods" could hurt their credibility - (e.g. make it tougher for them to convince South Koreans to join them.)

Yes, he was a bit loose with his secrets. To make it worse, his boss didn't seem to mind either. I hate to think what he'd do with the more sophisticated data breaches we have these days.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2022, 10:26:02 AM »

Undercover Girl 05
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=59989
First the cover. Its hard to credit this cover to either Dick Ayers or Ernie Bache.
It will have to remain a mystery. 
The Mystery of the stolen secrets.
This is one of the better Ogden Whitney efforts I've seen, it was enjoyable because of the art but the story was just confusing. I had to read some of the texts twice to make sense of it.
And would a mother like that let her son send his shirts to a laundry?
And if the shirt wasn't torn wouldn't he know that? Or at least change his laundry?
The Riddle of the Radio-Death
Quirky, looks like you are right - if you fight in High Heels one of them is likely to snap! ;)
The House That Hate Built
That first panel is based on the old Nursery Rhyme, 'The House that Jack Built'
The House is a bit like those 'Haunted Houses' that we used to see in sideshows.
Jeopardy in Jade
Even though the book is a landmark featuring a female protagonist, there is still a lot good girl art with Starr behind a shower curtain, in a bikini and lounging at the side of the pool for example.   
Beauty and the Beast
Do Gorilla's have sharp fangs?
Gorilla's are vegetarians and fairly passive creatures, for from the dangerous monsters they are usually portrayed as.
I've always liked this title since I discovered it here on CB+. I like the Powell covers on the next ones.
As i said back in 2018,
Starr Flagg, the heroine of UNDERCOVER GIRL, was a female secret agent who debuted in MANHUNT #1 (11/1947) and appeared in 11 issues of that title, plus 2 issues of Trail Colt and then 2 reprint issues of Manhunt (#13-4). She graduated to her own try-out title in 1952 as part of the A-1 series.'

Starr would be a good candidate for a collection, to have them all in one place.
Thanks Quirky for the choices.
Robb will be here on Monday to surprise us.   

« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 09:15:30 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2022, 10:55:14 AM »

Glad you liked this one better, Super Scrounge. Me too.

Well, Undercover Girl had a better writer and I think the stories were more focused.

Don't worry if someone doesn't like a book. Part of the reason for the reading group is to expose people to books they might not normally read, so the law of averages would say that some reader might find a book to be a klunker. Roll of the dice.

I've also noticed at another forum I post at that sometimes my comments come off as harsher than I intended. Sometimes I'll read an old post of mine and wince at how harsh it comes off.

I could write a whole chapter on the impracticality of the outfits of female heroines for actually fighting crime.

One of the sub-series in my webcomic is Fashionably Heroic which started off on the pros and cons of capes. The two figures in my avatar pic are the stars, Athleta and Ms. Terial.

But then I've always felt those long flowing capes that Superman and Batman have are highly impractical too.

But they are visually stunning. Performers used to use capes as part of their look. Although back when Superman was supposed to be a leaper instead of a flyer, Jerry Seigel did have Superman say the cape could be used to help him glide. Also the Batman cape can be used like Dracula's cape from stage and movie productions (I don't think a cape was mentioned in the Dracula novel though).
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2022, 10:36:15 PM »

Spy Hunters 3

Date With Danger
I don't like such large amounts of dialogue.  But, I probably also wouldn't have wanted ALL that information provided in narrative boxes.  I also dislike use of sing unnatural conversation (e.g. gang members telling their colleagues what they already know, because they all participated in the previous activity being discussed.  But, I suppose the only alternative to that is using extra large narrative boxes full of boring information about what the author wants the readers to know.  I think using the coincidence of Commentary and Common turn as a plot device to drive the story is generally good, because it allows the author to provide clues to the reader earlier in the story, without ruining the suspense.  And the uncommon use of the word "agents" instead of "advocates" or associates provides an additional clue to the junior detectives among the readers.  Clearly, the Communist agents are implied to be Russians, but we see the publishing policy of not wanting to provoke an international incident, by implying that The Soviet Union and USA might be enemies, when no war has been declared.  So, the author uses "Motherland", and taking The Professor to "Europe", instead of "Russia". 

I think this coincidence would have made a great story about a coincidence leading to an innocent, naive ornithologist being kidnapped and taken from his native USA to Russia by mistake, but, for the first time in his life, he is treated royally, and he likes it, and, goes along with it for awhile.  And after being found NOT to be the person in question, for his own safety, he pretends to, also by coincidence, have been a Communist sympathiser, and not only swears allegiance to The Party, but trains in their system to become an agent for The Commies back home in America.  And so, he ends up becoming a master double agent, helping The US Intelligence capture Soviet agents operating in their country.  Of course such a plot would require a comic book series to cover with proper pacing.  It would have also been a great plot for a late 1940s or early 1950s spy film.  It would have been a perfect vehicle for Robert Donat in the 1930s, but then, it would have involved a British professor being kidnapped to Germany, which is too close geographically to be as dramatic as USA to behind The Iron Curtain.  If I were younger, I might pick this idea up as a pet project!. It is amazing how such a small thing as a word spelling coincidence could possibly change a person's life towards a completely different direction!

However, despite not having enough pages to even finish a first episode of my plot described above, the author of THIS comic book's story did a good job of adding an interesting touch, by having the previously timid professor rise to the occasion as a patriot, and physically stand up to his two kidnappers (also bringing the romance angle into the story).  And it was also a reasonable touch to have the milquetoast professor be young enough to have fought in the recent World War II (which almost every young man from 18 through 35 had done), to have him experienced in using a pistol (although using a rifle was far more common).  So, this story was   a LOT better constructed, and much more interesting to me  than the others in this book).

When I read this one, the confusion over the terms that led to the capture of the wrong professor put me in mind of the movie 'North by Northwest'. In that movie, they mistake Cary Grant's character Thornhill as the one they're meant to kidnap based on a misunderstanding over the name. A bellboy enters a restaurant and calls out 'Paging Mr Kaplan'. Thornhill calls him over to ask if he can send a telegram. Thornhill gets up to follow him, so the baddies think he must be Kaplan and kidnap him. No amount of explaining on Thornhill's account can convince them they've got the wrong man, and he's suddenly thrown into a web of intrigue. Maybe if Hitchcock had gotten hold of 'Date with Danger', he could have turned it into a classic.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2022, 10:42:33 PM »

One of the sub-series in my webcomic is Fashionably Heroic which started off on the pros and cons of capes. The two figures in my avatar pic are the stars, Athleta and Ms. Terial.

I did wonder about that profile pic, SuperScrounge  :D I tried googling the webcomic, but I'm not sure I came up with the right thing. Is it still available?
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2022, 11:45:11 PM »

Spy Hunters 3

Date With Danger

When I read this one, the confusion over the terms that led to the capture of the wrong professor put me in mind of the movie 'North by Northwest'. In that movie, they mistake Cary Grant's character Thornhill as the one they're meant to kidnap based on a misunderstanding over the name. A bellboy enters a restaurant and calls out 'Paging Mr Kaplan'. Thornhill calls him over to ask if he can send a telegram. Thornhill gets up to follow him, so the baddies think he must be Kaplan and kidnap him. No amount of explaining on Thornhill's account can convince them they've got the wrong man, and he's suddenly thrown into a web of intrigue. Maybe if Hitchcock had gotten hold of 'Date with Danger', he could have turned it into a classic.

Had I been entrusted with the comic book assignment, I'd have proposed having "Adventures of A Spy" be the regular lead story in this bi-monthly comic book, and keeping Kent as the only featured character, in an ongoing episodical continuity (a la Mickey Mouse Daily Strip).  I'd use the first episode as is, changing only its ending, with Kent being captured and his captors getting him on the hidden airplane, and taking off for Russia in the last panel.  Next issue, I'd have them landing in Russia, and given a hero's red carpet welcome.  He is feted, and treated royally for a week, and soaking it up.  He plans to enjoy it for awhile.  The remainder of that episode would have him move into his clandestine, luxurious rural mansion in a forested area, next to their well-equipped secret laboratory, where he meets his new colleague underling scientists.  At the end of the episode, after he is told to start his work, explaining to his new "assistants", he starts getting worried about how he will avoid being discovered as "the wrong man".   Episode 3 is full of misadventures of his trying to cover up the fact that he doesn't know much about nuclear physics, but, luckily, he had basic university level physics and the other hard sciences, to become an ornithologist, and knows about the physics of flight and sound, which can help him "fake it", while he bones up on the physics related to his project and secret machine. Episode 4 has Kent narrowly missing being discovered, but him saved by luck, and a Belgian agent in Russia, posing as a Communist.  In Episode 5 he is discovered as a fraud, and faces a trial at the end.  In Episode 6, Kent explains that he only pretended to be the physicist because he knew his captors would have killed him if they knew, but that he has been a Communist sympathiser all his life, and he explains that he could be a valuable tool for The Soviets as a spy operating in USA.  The end of the episode has the Commentern's Security heads deliberating whether to execute Kent, or take him up on his offer.  Start of Episode7 has the final decision coming down in his favour, after the final voter on the committee breaks the tie, and soon, Kent's execution cancelled; and at the end, he, along with his female, Belgian "Communist" assistant are taking off on a flight to Canada.
Episode 8 has Kent and his assistant cross from Canada into USA, after a lot of suspenseful intrigue.  Remaining episodes have Kent and his ladyfriend operating as double agents in USA foiling their supposed fellow communist agents efforts to steal US military secrets.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2022, 02:08:01 AM »

Had I been entrusted with the comic book assignment, I'd have proposed having "Adventures of A Spy" be the regular lead story in this bi-monthly comic book, and keeping Kent as the only featured character, in an ongoing episodical continuity (a la Mickey Mouse Daily Strip).  I'd use the first episode as is, changing only its ending, with Kent being captured and his captors getting him on the hidden airplane, and taking off for Russia in the last panel.  Next issue, I'd have them landing in Russia, and given a hero's red carpet welcome.  He is feted, and treated royally for a week, and soaking it up.  He plans to enjoy it for awhile.  The remainder of that episode would have him move into his clandestine, luxurious rural mansion in a forested area, next to their well-equipped secret laboratory, where he meets his new colleague underling scientists.  At the end of the episode, after he is told to start his work, explaining to his new "assistants", he starts getting worried about how he will avoid being discovered as "the wrong man".   Episode 3 is full of misadventures of his trying to cover up the fact that he doesn't know much about nuclear physics, but, luckily, he had basic university level physics and the other hard sciences, to become an ornithologist, and knows about the physics of flight and sound, which can help him "fake it", while he bones up on the physics related to his project and secret machine. Episode 4 has Kent narrowly missing being discovered, but him saved by luck, and a Belgian agent in Russia, posing as a Communist.  In Episode 5 he is discovered as a fraud, and faces a trial at the end.  In Episode 6, Kent explains that he only pretended to be the physicist because he knew his captors would have killed him if they knew, but that he has been a Communist sympathiser all his life, and he explains that he could be a valuable tool for The Soviets as a spy operating in USA.  The end of the episode has the Commentern's Security heads deliberating whether to execute Kent, or take him up on his offer.  Start of Episode7 has the final decision coming down in his favour, after the final voter on the committee breaks the tie, and soon, Kent's execution cancelled; and at the end, he, along with his female, Belgian "Communist" assistant are taking off on a flight to Canada.
Episode 8 has Kent and his assistant cross from Canada into USA, after a lot of suspenseful intrigue.  Remaining episodes have Kent and his ladyfriend operating as double agents in USA foiling their supposed fellow communist agents efforts to steal US military secrets.

Wow, Robb, you've convinced me. I'm looking forward to 'Adventures of a Spy' going into production as both a comic book and a continuing TV series.  :D
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2022, 02:32:26 AM »

Starr Flag - Undercover Girl 5

1) Mystery of The Stolen Secrets
I understand that the author does not want to give away too much about his or her story too early, but the reader fully expects to see spies/secret agents steal secrets from their enemies.  The author wants the reader to be interested in starting to read his or her story, and to continue reading it all the way through. The best way to get readers to become eager to jump into the story is to have their title seem interesting (a "grabber"). Despite the weak title, this opening story employs an unusual and inventive plot device, of having the original assignment be a red herring, by targeting a ship captain that was being framed by the actual lawbreaker as the prime suspect. Having the lighthouse keeper, who was the suspect's tailor, and also had access to the suspect's clothing when the latter went swimming, be the true criminal, provided more suspense than usual, and allowed the author to wait till later in the story to reveal clues to finally lead the little junior detectives among the readers, to guess who the real villain was.  And so, THIS book already has a story as good as the best story in "Spy Hunters 3".  And the artwork in this book, both penciling and inking, backgrounds, and especially the human figures, all drawn by Ogden Whitney, is two or three grades better than that of of "Spy Hunters".  The one weakness I noticed was that although having the murderess also be a sword swallower, who hid the murder weapon, (a dagger), in her mouth, to escape the murder scene is a terrific, novel idea, it is not very credible, because most readers would realise that she wouldn't have been able to walk out of a building exit, because they would be guarded by police officers, who would ask her questions, and she would need to open her mouth.  Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading this story.

2) The House That Hate Built
The poetic rhyming parody of the classic Nursery Rhyme, "The House That Jack Built", is rather clever, and reminds of the lead in comment to several gothic-style horror films. The title, and the introduction information that no one who ever went to that house was ever seen or heard of again, and seeing the heroine inside, falling down into a trap door and finding a torture chamber forms a great first 4 pages. But all that great promise does not bear fruit, because there are only 2 pages remaining to complete the story.  So, there is a tremendous let down, and disappointment.  The author had to explain who the villain is, and what his goals were add in a climax, and have an epilogue, ALL within 2 pages.  That is impossible to do in the first place, and IF one could accomplish that, the pacing would be so off of a natural path, and come so fast, it would send the reader reeling, and wanting to throw the book on the ground, jump up and down on it, and then burn it!  Needless to say, it is frustrating to see a well-thought out, reasonably clever plot, with an effective eerie mood-creating introduction, being totally wasted by trying to cram it into only a handful of pages, when it is worthy of, and much better fit for at least 12 to 14, and even better to 20 plus pages, leaves the reader sorely disappointed, and angry for being cheated out of the expected pleasure.

3) Jeopardy In Jade
This sounds like we can expect an Oriental jade jewelry-festooned villainess!  But given the teasing and failing to deliver from most of the other stories in this book, I am skeptical that I'll be receiving the reading experience this introduction promises.  And then, we even get the news that we can expect the series' heroine to be killed off in this story (which is not even this book's last!  About the island she will visit, "Peaceful and serene, it holds ONLY DEATH and danger for Starr Flagg."  One of my pet peeves is native speakers not having good command of their own language, and having very poor logic in trying to use it to communicate.  That seems to be becoming worse and worse every decade.  To me, if a person sets foot on an island that holds ONLY death for her or him, her or his death is assured.  It has already happened, and the teller of this story is just recounting that fact.  If the author will NOT have the character die on that island in this story, he or she should have written: "Peaceful and serene-looking, this island holds mortal danger for Starr Flagg", OR "If she sets foot on this peaceful-looking island to which she has been assigned, the odds of her escaping it alive are slim to none."

So, based on the first two stories, I fully expect not only that our heroine will complete her mission, and leave the island alive, but I also will be disappointed that the story live up to the great expectations created by the nice long titular panel drawing, and the introduction narrative's dramatic wording.
And sure enough, I am already completely lost because the writer has such poor command of his own native language, that I have no idea what he is trying to say.   

"He is supposed to have invented a definite counter-agent, in the form of electrons, that will detonate an atomic bomb at a hundred mile distance --- making a perfect atom bomb defense". 

That statement makes NO sense to me.  A counter agent is something that works against some action occurring.  That would indicate that the "electron beam" would literally keep the bomb from detonating altogether.  The "at a hundred mile distance" is totally unclear as to whether or not the beam can keep the bomb from detonating if one sends it from 100 miles away?  That does not jibe with the wording "electrons will DETONATE an atomic bomb.  IF the electronic beam sets off the bomb, how can it be a defence against it?

Starr arrives at the house of the scientist/inventor, and sees him lying dead. She notices a man running away, and pursues him to the ocean shore and dives in after him.  When she grabbed him from behind, his hand released a jade ring he was carrying, which falls to the ocean floor.  A shark comes out of nowhere and attacks the man, who was looking at Starr.  She saw the fin earlier, and so swam out of danger, while he was being killed.  Once back at the scientist's house, Starr finds a paper containing 4 Chinese characters.  She has it translated and finds out that "The Secret of The Sage" is on the face of the lotus drawing on his jade ring.  Starr then hires divers to find the ring on the ocean floor.  Her divers bosses are American crooks who want the ring to sell it to the nation who will bid the highest offer for it (presumably enemies of USA (to whom the scientist had promised it).  They demand the ring from Starr at gunpoint, but she dives under their boat and places their boat's anchor inside a giant clam's jaws, and it clamps down, holding it fast.  Starr escapes them by swimming under water out of rifle range and on to the jetty, and one panel later, the story ends with Starr giving the ring to The US Authorities (ostensibly a   consulate office), which was conveniently located nearby to that island (or there was a time lapse not indicated in a narrative. It was China at just about the time when The Communists took over.  So, she must have gone to Hong Kong.  I don't think there is a US embassy or Consulate in Macao.  In any case, this story suffers from the same problem of a nice introduction, and then a lack of much action, crammed into one or two pages, and a ridiculously abrupt, unexpected ending with a one or two panel story resolution.

4) Beauty and The Beast
Starr is once again trying to obtain a secret steel rotting formula developed by a scientist in a far-off land, to get it into the hands of USA, rather than falling into the hands of evil foreign rulers, who would use it to extend their power, and allow them to enslave ever larger populations under their yokes.  There must be other plots that could be used in a spy story. 

She finds the scientist's house in a clearing in an African rainforest area, and is attacked by a giant gorilla (who is the pet of a crooked Russian woman, who lives with the scientist.  The latter suspects Starr's mission there, and tries to kill Starr, who dresses like the Russian woman to sneak away from her captor.  The Russian chases Starr, forcing the latter to fall over a cliff, but waiting just below is the gorilla, who, miraculously catches Starr, saving her.  Before, he tried to kill her to save the Russian woman, and now, because she has a turban over her blond hair, and toned down her normal bright red lipstick, and is wearing The Russian woman's clothes, the beast thinks she is the Russian woman.  Does he have no sense of smell? This is totally ridiculous.  Speaking of ridiculous, Starr ran away from the Russian woman who was riding a horse, and wielding a long whip, and accompanied by fast running, fairly large dogs, over a fair distance, wearing high heel shoes.  Not bloody likely I'd wager.  After thinking Starr fell to her death, the Russian returned to the scientist's house, and killed him and his servant woman.  She is about to leave with the formula (planning to sell it to The Soviet Government (calling it "Russia"), the Starr returns.  When the Russian aims a gun at Starr, her gorilla jumps on the Russian and kills her.  Starr thinks to herself that the woman was wearing Starr's clothing, and so thought she was Starr, and killed her as an enemy.  That makes no sense to me.  I can't imagine my dog thinking I am someone else if I am wearing someone else's clothing, and thinks someone else wearing my clothing is me.  The smell coming from a person's body has to be a lot stronger than the smell on their clothing.  Besides, after wearing someone else's clothing for awhile, one's scent would be on that clothing, mixing with the older scent.  Animals know other beings not just from sight, but from smell, sound of voice, body language, facial expressions.

Lastly, I must complain that this author doesn't know the difference between the usages of the words "I" and "me".  It is difficult for me to understand how an adult can live 20+ years in one country, be educated there, not learn any other language, and still not know the difference between those 2 words, having heard them spoken by others every day of their lives.  But, even worse than that, how does such a person get hired to write stories to be mass printed and distributed commercially in that country???????
I know from experience that the writer in question would say, "What's the big deal?  Grammar is for professors. It's not important.  People understand what I say.  Nobody I know cares about that stuff!"

The question is, "How did that error get past ME's story editor?"  The answer is that comic books had such a narrow profit margin that there was not money generated to pay for enough trained staff to handle such tasks.  But really, I wouldn't have had the nerve to apply for a story writing job if my grammar in the language required were so very weak.  That error is so basic, that I am sure there would be too much cost in correcting that writer's errors to warrant paying him for his stories.  But, even by the early 1950s, it was difficult to get enough decent storywriters for all the comic book stories being published at so low a pay rate for that level of effort, and receiving so little prestige vs. writing short stories for literary journals or books.

All in all, it was worth it to me to read both books, just to get a slightly better idea of what early 1950s Spy stories and Spy comics were like, as I hadn't read many in my youth, and I'm becoming a bit of a comics historian.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:03:32 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2022, 06:41:35 AM »

Wow, Robb, you've convinced me. I'm looking forward to 'Adventures of a Spy' going into production as both a comic book and a continuing TV series.  :D

If I were a LOT younger than close to 80 years old, I might give it a go, but I still have my Sci-Fi comedy/drama book series with 4 books almost finished, and 2 more with quite a bit written, and another 4 with solid fairly detailed plots written up.  And I haven't had the energy to put any work into that project for over the past 10 years.  So, it's not very likely, unless I find the fountain of youth or have the gift of immortality bestowed upon me from out of The Blue.   I've got to muster up all my strength to finish up a Barkslike 10-page Donald Duck or Uncle Scrooge story, or a 6-page Gyro Gearloose story every couple or several months.  And now the ice hockey season is starting again, so I'll be watching a lot of games.  If it weren't for The Covid Pandemic, I might have decided to coach a youth hockey team.  At this point, I have a lot less energy for even creative work, and more for reading and downloading all the comic books and comic strips I missed coming across in my youth, and hanging around and spending time with my contemporary close family members and close friends that are still alive.  I've been spending a lot of time with my sister and brother-in-law in Los Angeles, and will do that with my sister in Winnipeg for 3 months on my way back to Holland next spring.  Then, after several months there spending time with family and close friends, I'll visit my other home in Denmark, and also hang around with family and friends there.  Most of them are retired, or semi-retired (like me), so I don't want to be working so much.  My concentration powers are weaker now than even 5 years ago.  So, I would really have to be Gung Ho over some project to start it up.  I want to savour every moment of my last years.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:36:34 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2022, 07:08:56 AM »

If I were a LOT younger than close to 80 years old, I might give it a go, but I still have my Sci-Fi comedy/drama book series with 4 book almost finished, and 2 more with quite a bit written, and another 4 with solid fairly detailed plots written up.  And I haven't had the energy to put any work into that project for over the past 10 years.  So, it's not very likely, unless I find the fountain of youth or have the gift of immortality bestowed upon me from out of The Blue.   I've got to muster up all my strength to finish up a Barkslike 10-page Donald Duck or Uncle Scrooge story, or a 6-page Gyro Gearloose story every couple or several months.  And now the ice hockey season is starting again, so I'll be watching a lot of games.  If it weren't for The Cover Pandemic, I might have decided to coach a youth hockey team.  At this point, I have a lot less energy for even creative work, and more for reading and downloading all the comic books and comic strips I missed coming across in my youth, and hanging around and spending time with my contemporary close family members and close friends that are still alive.  I've been spending a lot of time with my sister and brother-in-law in Los Angeles, and will do that with my sister in Winnipeg for 3 months on my way back to Holland next spring.  Then, after several months there spending time with family and close friends, I'll visit my other home in Denmark, and also hang around with family and friends there.  Most of them are retired, or semi-retired (like me), so I don't want to be working so much.  My concentration powers are weaker now than even 5 years ago.  So, I would really have to be Gung Ho over some project to start it up.  I want to savour every moment of my last years.

Wow, it sounds like you have a lot on. I can certainly understand not wanting to spread yourself thin.  Good on you for doing all the creative things you do.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2022, 05:50:37 AM »

I did wonder about that profile pic, SuperScrounge  :D I tried googling the webcomic, but I'm not sure I came up with the right thing. Is it still available?

I've posted some links in the Shameless Self-Promotion area. The actual title of my comic is The KAMics which is why you probably didn't find it.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2022, 08:34:33 AM »

So I read Spy Hunters 03. My concern began with the cover art: is the man outside the fence the friend of the other two? If so, why is he pointing his gun at them? If not, why have the other two not noticed the enemy in plain sight? The storyline is very standard fare for the era and full of the usual shtick such as the lady having time to say "you will be if it lands on your feet" as the man knocks an item from her arms.

On the other hand: color is good, drawing is good and the stories probably excited readers at the time.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.