in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #281 Spy Hunters 3 Undercover Girl 5

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #281 Spy Hunters 3 Undercover Girl 5  (Read 2408 times)

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
Reading Group #281 Spy Hunters 3 Undercover Girl 5
« on: October 03, 2022, 12:18:56 AM »

Hi everyone

Thanks for the opportunity to put forward a couple of selections this fortnight. I’ve come up with two spy comics from the early 1950s: ‘Spy Hunters’ featuring several different male protagonists; and ‘Undercover Girl’, with a female protagonist. I thought it might be interesting to compare gender roles, but also to look at the comics against the backdrop of the Cold War.

Spy Hunters #3

This follows on from the two-issue run of ‘Spy and Counterspy’. It has a number of stories that would have been very topical at the time, including one with North Korean communists published just six months before the start of the Korean War.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=18859

Undercover Girl – Starr Flagg #5

I see that you did a ‘Manhunt’ comic last year that included the Starr Flagg story ‘Jeopardy in Jade’, which also appears here. However, there are four other stories in this book, and they cover a range of different scenarios in which Starr is fighting various Cold War adversaries. There’s some great art by Ogden Whitney and stories by Gardner Fox. If you’ve already discussed the ‘Jade’ story that was in ‘Manhunt’, feel free to leave that one out. Or indeed feel free to just read one or two from each comic book to compare.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=59989

I’ll look forward to seeing what you think.

Quirky Quokka
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #281 Spy Hunters 3 Undercover Girl 5
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 12:30:36 AM »

Interesting pairing.
We have an ACG book which features Charles Sultan and possibly Leonard Starr and an ME [Magazine Enterprises] book featuring Gardner Fox and also Ogden Whitney who was a mainstay at ACG.
I'm always interested in the creators.   
I look forward to seeing the comments on this thread. There is a lot of scope.   

cheers!   
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 12:42:53 AM »

Interesting pairing.
We have an ACG book which features Charles Sultan and possibly Leonard Starr and an ME [Magazine Enterprises] book featuring Gardner Fox and also Ogden Whitney who was a mainstay at ACG.
I'm always interested in the creators.   
I look forward to seeing the comments on this thread. There is a lot of scope.   

cheers!   

Thanks Panther. I didn't realise that Gardner Fox had written Undercover Girl until I got to the end and looked back at the info page. I'd previously read some of his Batman stories. Just in the last couple of weeks, I've acquired the Bronze Age Batgirl Omnibus that includes Barbara Gordon's Batgirl comics from 1967 into the 70s. He wrote the first few stories in that, including Batgirl's Million Dollar Debut. I couldn't help wondering if he modelled Batgirl a bit on Starr Flagg. They both ride motorcycles and can do all manner of martial arts!  Interesting to see his earlier work.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 09:09:01 PM »

Jonathan Kent has the lead story in a number of the Spy-Hunters books. In later issues, 'Espionage Ace' is added to his name. I found a bit about him on the following site:

https://spyguysandgals.com/sgShowChar.aspx?id=1318

Cheers

Quirky Quokka
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 12:54:05 AM »

Spy Hunters

QQ, that link you posted beat me to the punch on picking out the coincidence? of our star Spy Hunter sharing a name with Superman's step-father. Of course there are no records of what super spy Jonathan Kent did in his retirement, so it's vaguely possible they are one and the same. I understand Charles Sultan ended up as one of the artists on Superman, though I've never knowingly seen any of his work on our Kryptonian hero. Actually I much prefer Charlie's earlier work with Harry Chesler, on strips like Dynamic Man and Major Victory, but I may be in a minority!

The whole comic reflects the "Reds under the Bed" era of US politics, though the same could be said of early Marvel Comics which spawned Commie villains like the Red Ghost and the Crimson Dynamo, among others. In all fairness our present experiences of Russia and China suggest that neither regime can be taken at face value, but as an overall concept for an entire comic it seems a little restrictive.

A Date With Danger, which relies completely on the phonetic similarly of "Common Tern" to "Comintern" ( was that actually a term in use at the time?) is really preposterous, although I see a common theme developing that women love "red blooded Americans" which spills over into The Sleep of Death. Even as I quote from the GCD description, "The anti immigration group America for Americans is actually a fascist terrorist group," it strikes so close to some  current developments in US politics as to make my blood run cold.   ???

In Jeopardy in the Jungle, "Chops" is more than a little reminiscent of "Chop Chop" in Blackhawk (another one of Eisner's well intentioned racial stereotypes like Ebony in The Spirit) and the art looks a bit like someone's been reading Terry and the Pirates, but the girl still falls for the anti-communist hero again. Basically the whole magazine is an excuse to whip up patriotic fervour in US teenagers, which isn't necessarily all bad, but it depends how far you take it!

All in all, it's interesting stuff, but as a bleeding heart liberal I couldn't stand a steady diet of it! Thanks for the post, I'll get round to the equally patriotic Starr Flagg when I have more time.

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 08:33:16 AM »

Spy Hunters

QQ, that link you posted beat me to the punch on picking out the coincidence? of our star Spy Hunter sharing a name with Superman's step-father. Of course there are no records of what super spy Jonathan Kent did in his retirement, so it's vaguely possible they are one and the same. I understand Charles Sultan ended up as one of the artists on Superman, though I've never knowingly seen any of his work on our Kryptonian hero. Actually I much prefer Charlie's earlier work with Harry Chesler, on strips like Dynamic Man and Major Victory, but I may be in a minority!

The whole comic reflects the "Reds under the Bed" era of US politics, though the same could be said of early Marvel Comics which spawned Commie villains like the Red Ghost and the Crimson Dynamo, among others. In all fairness our present experiences of Russia and China suggest that neither regime can be taken at face value, but as an overall concept for an entire comic it seems a little restrictive.

All in all, it's interesting stuff, but as a bleeding heart liberal I couldn't stand a steady diet of it!

All the best
K1ngcat

Thanks for that, K1ngcat. I'm more than happy to believe that the spy Jonathan Kent retired to a farm in Smallville, and could have been reactivated at any time. That's just calling out for a 'what if' story.

Last year, I bought the Marvel Masterworks volume of the Iron Man comics from 1963-1964, and there are a couple in there with the Crimson Dynamo and the first appearance of the Black Widow. I really love reading them against the backdrop of what was happening at that time. There's a mention of Kennedy in a story that would have been written before the assassination; and Khrushchev appears in a couple of stories. Interesting to think that Spy Hunters was written more than 70 years ago, and Russia and North Korea are still very topical.

As an Aussie, I'm not game to comment on current US politics, but I too bend more towards the liberal end. I recently read Part 1 of the Superman Space Age graphic novel released this year (my comic book store is holding Part 2 for me as we speak!). I really liked the script by Mark Russell and the following quote from Superman jumped out at me:

"As Americans, we talk about being American as if we all agree on what that means. But the truth is that some judge truth and justice by how well they support the American way, while others judge the American way by how well it stands up for truth and justice. For some, freedom is simply the name they've given to their way of life. But for others, freedom is what they call their struggle to survive."

We could probably substitute 'Australia' for 'America' and maybe other western countries too. It was one of the best political quotes I've heard and it was in a comic book!

Cheers

Nola
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 12:06:35 AM »

Quote from: Quirky Quokka link=topic=22676.msg87762#msg87762 date=1664958?

Thanks for that, K1ngcat. I'm more than happy to believe that the spy Jonathan Kent retired to a farm in Smallville, and could have been reactivated at any time. That's just calling out for a 'what if' story.

As an Aussie, I'm not game to comment on current US politics, but I too bend more towards the liberal end. I recently read Part 1 of the Superman Space Age graphic novel released this year (my comic book store is holding Part 2 for me as we speak!). I really liked the script by Mark Russell and the following quote from Superman jumped out at me:

"As Americans, we talk about being American as if we all agree on what that means. But the truth is that some judge truth and justice by how well they support the American way, while others judge the American way by how well it stands up for truth and justice. For some, freedom is simply the name they've given to their way of life. But for others, freedom is what they call their struggle to survive."

We could probably substitute 'Australia' for 'America' and maybe other western countries too. It was one of the best political quotes I've heard and it was in a comic book!

Nice quote, QQ. As a UK resident I may or may not be game to talk about US politics, but having followed all of the developments since Joe Biden's inauguration I feel my opinion's as valid as anyone else's!  Most of my home politics centre around idiocy and incompetence and the comfort of a party that's been in charge for too long, but I think the divide's getting too wide in the US of A.

Comics these days are not as afraid of telling the truth as politicians and newspapers might be. And good on them for it!

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 12:37:19 AM »

Spy Hunters #3

When I still had my collection, I had complete runs of both Spy Hunters and its companion magazine Operation Peril. I remembered them being dull with occasional bright spots in the art. It seems I remembered them accurately. I like spies and spy stories but a lot of early 50s spy comics were written like war comics. The mystery and intrigue served mostly to set the scene for a big military confrontation. That's the case with the first and last stories here. I preferred the approach DC took in Danger Trail, with more sneaking around and less blowing things up (the art was better, too).

As for the book in question: The cover is dramatic enough, but I'm puzzled that the Commies are on both sides of the fence. Maybe that's the idea. The sign, by the way, reads "Beware! Danger Zone!" At least I got something out of those three years of Russian in high school. I also remember how to say, "The happy life at the rocket factory," a phrase which I'm sure to need someday.

"Adventures of a Spy" is a bit disappointing. I agree with K1ngcat, Charles Sultan's artwork isn't up to his earlier standard. It looks like he wasn't giving it all he had. He seems to have tried to slick up his Eiger Shop style and lost some personality in the process. The story isn't terrible but a couple of items made me cringe, notably the Chorea/Korea and K/T clues. Okay, Chorea/Korea is clever but why on earth would top spies use such easily-solved code phrases? And K/T...wouldn't they at least use a code name rather than their own initials? Easy, big fella, it's only comic books.

"Date With Danger" is more interesting even though--or perhaps because--the  Commies jump to the conclusion that Dr Osborn is the head of the local Comintern after listening to his recorded speech about birds. Surely somewhere in the speech it would have become obvious that he wasn't referring to the Comintern. The whole thing is hard to swallow (get it? swallow? hyuk hyuk). Incidentally, to answer K1ngcat's question, the Comintern (Third Communist International) was a real thing. To quote Wikipedia:

The Communist International (Comintern), also known as the Third International, was a Soviet-controlled international organization founded in 1919 that advocated world communism. The Comintern resolved at its Second Congress to "struggle by all available means, including armed force, for the overthrow of the international bourgeoisie and the creation of an international Soviet republic as a transition stage to the complete abolition of the state"[...]The Comintern held seven World Congresses in Moscow between 1919 and 1935. During that period, it also conducted thirteen Enlarged Plenums of its governing Executive Committee, which had much the same function as the somewhat larger and more grandiose Congresses. Joseph Stalin, leader of the Soviet Union, dissolved the Comintern in 1943 to avoid antagonizing his allies in the later years of World War II, the United States and the United Kingdom. It was succeeded by the 1947 Cominform.

By the time this comic came out it was the Cominform, though as I kid I heard about the Comintern all the time but never was informed about the Cominform. Besides, if they'd used Cominform the story wouldn't have worked, now would it? Unless Osborn had been giving a speech about brassieres. No, wait, that was Maidenform. Oh, now I'm all mixed up. Robert Pious' figures are a bit weak but his art has a nice shadowy noir look. At first I didn't understand what happened in the climactic bird attack (our page 25 panel 3). The birds are colored so dark that I didn't see them. It would have helped both to make the birds a lighter color and not to have the heavy shadow on the upper bird.

"Sleep of Death" reminds us that fascism always postures as defender of the good old days before they (the immigrants/the Jews/the Muslims/the Gays/the Woke) messed everything up. It's always the same old baloney, but no matter how often it's served some people just won't learn from history. That said, the would-be Leader here switches gears from demagogue to old-school would-be ruler of the world. I'm not sure exactly how he intended to take over the country after it was gassed, given that he has a small force and does not seem to have the support of A Certain Foreign Government.

If you stop a moment to consider what was going on when everybody in town was gassed, our hero would have found complete chaos when he came down from the Empire State. Those aboard every kind of moving vehicle, doctors performing surgery, workers building skyscrapers, chefs preparing meals, even people simply crossing a road--everyone would have been in deep doo-doo. Thousands of deaths, easily. But all's well that ends well. I still don't trust Virginia. Doesn't she bear some responsibility for her father's earlier successes?

"Jeopardy in the Jungle" reminded me of my early days as a Navy brat. When I was 5 or 6 years old we lived two years in the Philippines. One day while we were riding on a train my dad pointed to the distant hills and told us that Huk guerrillas were hiding there. Like many another kid, I heard gorillas and imagined Huks were scary apes armed with human weapons. There was no Huk activity while I was there so my theory was never tested.

Leonard Starr's art is by far the best in the book. It makes the story look better than it was. I knew Calvera was the surprise bad guy from the first page. He may as well have carried a sign saying, "It's me, dummy!" One thing isn't clear: was Tania sandwiched into the packing case alongside the hydraulic press or was she alone? If the latter, wouldn't Greg have noticed the press only weighed a bit over 100 pounds and bounced around in the box?

As was already pointed out, a jolly fat comical Chinese cook with a cleaver named Chops seems just a wee bit derivative. However he got to be the one who spotted the clue identifying Calvera as the bad guy, so good for him. He also turned pink for a page before returning to the ravages of carotenosis. You gotta lay off those carrots, Chops!

About those ads...Jim Prentice made a bundle off those "electric" sports games between the mid-30s and 1963, when he sold the company. He designed and sold other games and novelties as well. I never played Electric Football. A friend had Foto-Electric Football, which at first I thought was the same as this game. It wasn't. In Foto-Electric Football each player secretly chose a big card with a football play diagrammed on it. The cards were slid face down, one atop the other, under a sliding cover on the game base. Inside was a light bulb. As the cover was slid back the light revealed the plays. If the ball carrier line crossed an opponent's line a tackle was called. It wasn't as complicated as it sounds, and we had fun. That must have been some chintzy 16mm projector to use a household light bulb. $7.99 was a fair amount of money back then, but a 16mm projector suitable for "club meetings and parties"? The "Chug-a-Moto" was just a riff on the old playing-card-in-the-spokes noisemaker. But Lionel trains...now we're talking!

ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 04:50:20 AM »

Undercover Girl #5

The first thing to say is that this is a really good-looking issue. The cover is exciting and well-enough drawn that I can't believe Dick Ayers pencilled it. Ogden Whitney's interior is excellent. Even the printing is good. I can't tell you how good it feels to see, after having read The Green Spider, a comic in which all four colors register correctly. The stories are more variable. Five stories in a 32-page comic!

The Mystery of the Stolen Secrets presses my buttons. I don't care if he is bitter and hot-headed, Black Dan assaults Starr with a knife and later attempts to murder her by stabbing her and throwing her body in the sea! Call it PTSD if you want, the fellow is a threat to the public. He desperately needs psychiatric intervention.

Though the code technique is hard to accept, this story is unique in that the writer and artist play fair with the reader. All the elements in the solution are present...but the story's hard to figure out because, for once, the writer didn't write enough about them. When the spy was revealed I wondered, "Tallow? Laundry helper? Who? What? Where did he come from?" but with one exception the clues are all there. Our page 4, panel 6: there's Tallow (unnamed) sitting in the background sewing patches onto a shirt. Pages 6 and 7: multiple patches visible on shirt. On page 7 panel 2 we get a view of the inside of the shirt--unfortunately it's in shadow so we don't see that there are no rips in it. That's the one goof.

The reason the story doesn't pay off as it should is that we needed at least to have been told Tallow existed and who he was. That's the trouble with short-short stories. If the script had identified him as Tallow, the guy who helps with the laundry, and there were no other suspects, he'd obviously be the bad guy. More pages would have allowed for an extra red herring--perhaps the commandant--to muddy the waters. Hats off, anyway, to Fox and Whitney for playing fair.

The solution to The Riddle of the Radio Death was again hard to take seriously. The murderer could swallow a dagger and keep it swallowed for at least a couple of hours? Any sword swallowers out there who can fact check this for me? The short-short story curse strikes again: the only reason for Lala to be in Armitage's apartment and to leave a carnival program behind is to make it possible for Starr to track her down within a couple of panels.

The House that Hate Built was pretty routine. Ogden Whitney and the anonymous colorist let us down on the backgrounds once the women are inside the mystery house. Whitney needed to put in some background detail and the colorist needed to color everything dark and moody.

On Jeopardy in Jade Whitney is back up to speed. He draws nice action and pretty women. If the anchor is light enough for Starr to lift, would its weight plus the clam's be sufficient to prevent the motorboat moving?

Some excellent GAA (Good Ape Art) in Beauty and the Beast. Whitney gives the gorilla a little personality. I like the shot (page 30 panel 3) of him peeling a banana. I think a real ape would be able to tell Starr from Madame Darkova by their scent, no matter what they're wearing. Maybe all those bananas clogged his sinuses. What with the catfights and whipping I gather this story is popular with kink fanciers.

I'd like to end with a few words about Ogden Whitney. He wasn't the flashiest artist in the business but at his best he drew solid, well-staged stories with appealing figures and believable action. To find him at his best you have to look at his 1950s work like Starr Flagg. In the stuff for which he's best known--his 1960s ACG stories--he seemed to have stopped trying. His staging was dull and repetitive, his inking was sparse. His figures were still drawn well enough but they lacked the old sense of movement. Like so many comic artists Whitney was plagued by alcoholism and apparently in later years by mental illness. He was probably doing the best he could with what he had. In the end he left behind a respectable amount of good artwork--and of course Herbie Popnecker.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2022, 10:59:18 AM »

Spy Hunters #3

When I still had my collection, I had complete runs of both Spy Hunters and its companion magazine Operation Peril. I remembered them being dull with occasional bright spots in the art. It seems I remembered them accurately. I like spies and spy stories but a lot of early 50s spy comics were written like war comics.

As for the book in question: The cover is dramatic enough, but I'm puzzled that the Commies are on both sides of the fence. Maybe that's the idea. The sign, by the way, reads "Beware! Danger Zone!" At least I got something out of those three years of Russian in high school. I also remember how to say, "The happy life at the rocket factory," a phrase which I'm sure to need someday.

The Communist International (Comintern), also known as the Third International, was a Soviet-controlled international organization founded in 1919 that advocated world communism.

Wow, thanks form that info, crashryan. I'll give my review at the end of the fortnight, but your comments had me smiling. Yes, a few plot holes along the way, but I'm sure you'll get to use that Russian phrase sometime. It sounds like you've led a very interesting life. And thanks for the info on Comintern. I didn't bother looking up the term because I assumed it was made up. So I've learned something  :D

Cheers

Quirky Quokka
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2022, 11:06:17 AM »

Undercover Girl #5

The first thing to say is that this is a really good-looking issue. The cover is exciting and well-enough drawn that I can't believe Dick Ayers pencilled it. Ogden Whitney's interior is excellent. Even the printing is good.

Some excellent GAA (Good Ape Art) in Beauty and the Beast. Whitney gives the gorilla a little personality. I like the shot (page 30 panel 3) of him peeling a banana. I think a real ape would be able to tell Starr from Madame Darkova by their scent, no matter what they're wearing. Maybe all those bananas clogged his sinuses.

Thanks for that crashryan. I really liked the art in this one too, and I liked the stories better than the other one on the whole, though as you say, they sometimes suffered from being short shorts. I thought the ape would be able to smell the difference too, but maybe Starr had a banana smoothie just before she changed costumes! Thanks for the extra info on Whitney too. This is the first time I've knowingly come across his art, and I like his style in this one. I'll say more at the end of the fortnight.

Cheers

Quirky Quokka
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2022, 01:04:26 AM »

Undercover Girl

Stolen Secrets
Well this is an Ogden Whitney I haven't seen before, lots of small panels, and not quite so neat and tidy as his work became a few years later when he was working for ACG. Faintly reminiscent of Bob Powell, who I see did the covers for the two subsequent issues. The story's very short, and an interesting denouement at the end, but I do wonder if an undercover agent would blow her cover so quickly and easily as getting up in the middle of the night and walking to the Point Commandant's house?

Radio Death
Another typically tricky plot from Gardner Fox, hiding a knife in your throat isn't the kind of thing anyone can do (or would want to!) But isn't it convenient that Armitage left a recording of the broadcast he never lived to make? Wouldn't he need specialist equipment for that? These plots seem to just about hold up for five pages, so long as you don't ask too many questions.

House that Hate Built
This is the story that furnished the role reversal cover art, where Starr is seen saving a chained man from a dreadful fate. Again there's no time for development, just a wicked villain, somewhat unimaginatively named "The Senor," hiding radio controlled atom bombs? Serious stuff, and all he has to do to avoid interest is to leave the occasional mangled body lying around?  I rather thought that might have had the opposite effect!

At this point I got frustrated by the short stories with convenient plots, and investigated Manhunt, which was published in 1947. Once I'd done that, I developed the theory that most of these Starr Flagg stories were originally fillers in Manhunt, and repackaged as an Undercover Girl magazine in 1952. Of course it's only a theory...

Now it's nice to see a heroine who can hold her own with all the famous male detectives, look after herself in a fight, and manage to be glamorous at the same time. But these short stories don't really do her any justice. If they'd intended to relaunch the character it would've been good to see her in new tales that were at least 10-12 pages, if not book length, allowing some room for character development, and possibly plots that couldn't be solved so speedily. But I suppose that wouldn't have been economically viable at the time.

I like Starr Flagg, she deserved better.
Thanks for posting, QQ
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2022, 10:45:30 PM »

Undercover Girl

At this point I got frustrated by the short stories with convenient plots, and investigated Manhunt, which was published in 1947. Once I'd done that, I developed the theory that most of these Starr Flagg stories were originally fillers in Manhunt, and repackaged as an Undercover Girl magazine in 1952. Of course it's only a theory...

Now it's nice to see a heroine who can hold her own with all the famous male detectives, look after herself in a fight, and manage to be glamorous at the same time. But these short stories don't really do her any justice. If they'd intended to relaunch the character it would've been good to see her in new tales that were at least 10-12 pages, if not book length, allowing some room for character development, and possibly plots that couldn't be solved so speedily. But I suppose that wouldn't have been economically viable at the time.

I like Starr Flagg, she deserved better.
Thanks for posting, QQ
All the best
K1ngcat

Thanks for that K1ngcat. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I was away at a conference  for the weekend. When I saw that the 'Jade' story had been in Manhunt, I wondered too if they had just repackaged the stories. Apart from the ads at the end, there were also no other features (such as short stories or info pages) which were sometimes in other comics of the time. I do really like her, but you're right that longer stories would have done her more justice.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2022, 06:05:17 AM »

Spy Hunters #3

Adventures of a Spy
Eh, okay, I guess. Although for a spy Jonathan sure lets slip things he should keep quiet about like letting Penny know what the spies were after. The story probably would have been improved with less words. You'd think the writer was getting paid by the word.

The Spy Whose Blood Boiled!
Short, sweet and a surprisingly vicious fate for the bad guy. *snicker*

Date With Danger
Uhhh, yeahhhhh... The basic plot might have been fine in something like a Three Stooges film, but trying to pass it off as a serious story, not so good.

The Vain Dictator
I wonder if Ronald would be considered an assassin for killing the Generalissimo? Also wouldn't there be others happy to take over the country?

The Sleep of Death
Set the alarm for judgement day.  ;) "You got your romance comic in my spy story!" *reads result* "Wow! It's worse than we were trying for!" Okay, I didn't think it was that bad, but it did feel like the writer forgot what genre he was writing for.

School for Spies
Okay, factoids.

Jeopardy in the Jungle
The artist seemed very Caniff inspired.

This book was a slog to get through. It didn't help that the writer(s) didn't seem well acquainted with the spy genre.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2022, 12:28:17 AM »

Undercover Girl #5

Undercover Girl sounds like a title for an R or X-rated movie.  ;)

The Mystery of the Stolen Secrets
Not bad, although it ends as if it's meant to be continued.

The Riddle of the Radio-Death
Wow, a woman fighting in high heels and a heel breaks??? That's unpossible! It never happens!  ;) And years later he'll write Batgirl who fights crime in high heels (Wonder Woman too, but I think we can say that those are unbreakable Amazon technology.  ;) )
The murderer put a knife that was covered in a dead man's blood in her mouth??? Yikes!

The House That Hate Built!
And people say that Hate doesn't do anything for others, but here it is building houses.  ;)
If this house is so much trouble why didn't somebody just set fire to it?

Jeopardy in Jade
I should think Ming Lee would have found an easier way to write down the message than carving a formula into a jade ring. The cheesecake scenes were the best part of this story.

Beauty and the Beast
[singing] Tale old as time...
So what's to keep Bakka from following Starr at the end of the story? Presumably Starr didn't pull a gun from nowhere and shoot him dead, so he should still be alive.

Much, much better than the prior book.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2022, 12:17:11 AM »

Spy Hunters #3

The Sleep of Death
Set the alarm for judgement day.  ;) "You got your romance comic in my spy story!" *reads result* "Wow! It's worse than we were trying for!" Okay, I didn't think it was that bad, but it did feel like the writer forgot what genre he was writing for.

SuperScrounge, how could you not like the romance component when they had such great lines?

"I ... I can't control myself! Her eyes ... her lips ..."
"Oh Don - Darling."

LOL. A few of the stories tried to include a romance element, and they even had it in their tagline on the front cover: "Daring Action ... Deadly Intrigue ... Glamorous Romance"

Maybe they were trying to attract some female readers, but I'm not sure that would have done it for me. Interestingly, the Undercover Girl one seems to break stereotypes in the opposite direction by not having Starr romantically linked with anyone.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2022, 06:01:50 AM »

Spy Hunters #3

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=18859

This is from 1950 and this was about when the Cold War was making its mark in fiction - comics books movies and Spy stories were the thing.
My interpretation of the confusing cover is that they appear to be breaking in to a camp, not out.
Adventures of a Spy
Boy and Girl walk around a corner and accidentally knock each other down, so we know there will be a romance coming up!.   
They are talking about a communist government in North Korea, so this is post Korean War.
'Now that American Troops have pulled out of South Korea, the Army has left its equipment behind'! So Afghanistan was  not the first?
Too wordy, generic uninteresting story and dull artwork.     
Date with Danger
The 'Common Tern' gag is cute, but stil too wordy and yes, we have a romance.
The Sleep of Death (11 pages)
The gas. "Even one tankful, - would be enough to put everyone within a range of 25 miles into a deep sleep.
Question, who funded this and why? Oh, and his laboratory is right next to a block of apartments?!
This reminds me of Marvel's 'Sons of the Serpent' villains.
Jeopardy in the Jungle
Not the best work from Leonard Starr, if it is his work.
'Chops' is a cross between 'Chop Chop' and 'Herbie' Same physique and hair-style.
And yet another romantic ending.
I doubt I would have bought this book.
Cheers!       
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2022, 12:04:33 AM »

Maybe they were trying to attract some female readers, but I'm not sure that would have done it for me. Interestingly, the Undercover Girl one seems to break stereotypes in the opposite direction by not having Starr romantically linked with anyone.

QQ, I see nothing in Undercover Girl that suggests Starr Flagg needs anyone! Or maybe with only five or six pages they didn't have any room to explore her love life?
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2022, 12:33:58 PM »

Very nice selection, Quirky. In terms of the gender roles, I was going to compare Starr Flagg favourably to Honey West and Girl From Uncle titles Gold Key put out. (Forgot about Batgirl...) Also reminded of the time period where Wonder Woman lost her powers and had to depend on karate to take care of business. The issue itself had something for the whole family, from bondage, tight fabrics wrapped around the female form, cat fights, heels, it just goes on.

in terms of the Cold War, SPY HUNTER made me chuckle. Dope smokers like to watch REEFER MADNESS. My family was into politics and loved red hysteria ‘We will Bury You!” stuff like this. To this day we’ll greet each other by clenching our teeth and repeating paranoid lines like; ‘Let’s give him a REAL Red Nightmare” or call each other ‘unwitting commie dupes’. Fun stuff. Hey, Panther, Chops reminded of Herbie too. Wanted to know what happened to the lolly pop. Crash, it was a funny thing. I took ONE LOOK at that sign and said;’Bet Crash knows what it says.” I was right.

Of the two I think I like Starr Flagg better. There are lapses in perspective with SPY HUNTER and as more than one person noticed the colouring and get wonky. it also dove tails nicely with a discussion I had with a pal who thought that females in American movies who get to be killers (or have the power to do so) lose their emotion. Flagg was a nice counter point to that.

ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2022, 08:50:54 PM »

Spy Hunters #3

They are talking about a communist government in North Korea, so this is post Korean War.
'Now that American Troops have pulled out of South Korea, the Army has left its equipment behind'! So Afghanistan was  not the first?

At the end of WW2 the US military left huge amounts of weapons and vehicles behind to be used by allies who had very little left to guard their own borders. In the Pacific the distances were so long and the number of surviving transport ships not that large that most equipment would cost more than it was worth to ship it back to the USA. Troops being mustered out after years of combat took precedence over hardware, especially the huge number of wounded.
A number of brand new never flown in theatre P-38 Lightning aircraft were demilled by hooking tractors to the stabilizers and dragging them to a extinct volcanic vent. The towing warped the airframes and bulldozing them into the crater finished the job. This was done so Soviet forces in the region could not salvage them.

The amount of US war materials left in Afghanistan has been greatly exaggerated by the press. Practically everything left behind was demilled by use of Thermite charges, nothing more than scrap metal. The Taliban did capture quite a lot oweaponry from the Afghan Army when they chose not to put up a real fight. Most Afghan owned helicopters and their crews escaped to nearby countries.

PS
North Korea already had a communist government before the war.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2022, 02:19:10 AM »

Very nice selection, Quirky. In terms of the gender roles, I was going to compare Starr Flagg favourably to Honey West and Girl From Uncle titles Gold Key put out. (Forgot about Batgirl...) Also reminded of the time period where Wonder Woman lost her powers and had to depend on karate to take care of business. The issue itself had something for the whole family, from bondage, tight fabrics wrapped around the female form, cat fights, heels, it just goes on.

Thanks for that, Morgus. I'll have to check out those other examples. So many comics on my to-read list  :D
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2022, 02:20:38 AM »

At the end of WW2 the US military left huge amounts of weapons and vehicles behind to be used by allies who had very little left to guard their own borders. In the Pacific the distances were so long and the number of surviving transport ships not that large that most equipment would cost more than it was worth to ship it back to the USA. Troops being mustered out after years of combat took precedence over hardware, especially the huge number of wounded.
A number of brand new never flown in theatre P-38 Lightning aircraft were demilled by hooking tractors to the stabilizers and dragging them to a extinct volcanic vent. The towing warped the airframes and bulldozing them into the crater finished the job. This was done so Soviet forces in the region could not salvage them.

The amount of US war materials left in Afghanistan has been greatly exaggerated by the press. Practically everything left behind was demilled by use of Thermite charges, nothing more than scrap metal. The Taliban did capture quite a lot oweaponry from the Afghan Army when they chose not to put up a real fight. Most Afghan owned helicopters and their crews escaped to nearby countries.

PS
North Korea already had a communist government before the war.

Thanks for that info, Captain Audio. I know very little of that time in history, so thanks for the extra detail.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2022, 02:27:04 AM »

Undercover Girl #5

The Riddle of the Radio-Death
Wow, a woman fighting in high heels and a heel breaks??? That's unpossible! It never happens!  ;) And years later he'll write Batgirl who fights crime in high heels (Wonder Woman too, but I think we can say that those are unbreakable Amazon technology.  ;) )

Much, much better than the prior book.

Glad you liked this one better, Super Scrounge. Me too. I could write a whole chapter on the impracticality of the outfits of female heroines for actually fighting crime. If you run in high heels, you twist an ankle or slip or both. And don't even get me started on the skimpy bikini bottoms Wonder Woman wore in the 80s and 90s. It's hard to fight crime if you're worried about your underwear riding up.  :D And the micro-mini that the junior-fiction version of Supergirl wears today? No-one's flying in that outfit! But then I've always felt those long flowing capes that Superman and Batman have are highly impractical too. Maybe I should write a book on the improbabilities of superhero costumes in general  :D
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2022, 04:40:50 AM »

The Captain said,
In the Pacific the distances were so long and the number of surviving transport ships not that large that most equipment would cost more than it was worth to ship it back to the USA. Troops being mustered out after years of combat took precedence over hardware, especially the huge number of wounded.

Not just on the islands, most don't know how widespread the American presence was. Back then the Range of aircraft was much smaller - Captain you probably know the details better than I do - so there were airstrips in Northern Australian in places where today, there is nothing at all. The legends are that when leaving in haste,
they used bulldozers to bury equipment and there are legends of buried crates of WWII motorbikes - worth a fortune if ever found! 
Quirky said,
Me too. I could write a whole chapter on the impracticality of the outfits of female heroines for actually fighting crime.

Well, Supergirl got trouser pants to wear in the recent TV series.
That's my problem with Vampirella, Red Sonja and all the Jungle girls in their brief costumes. It's just way too unbelievable that anybody would fight, climb trees, sword-fight ::), run, ride horses in those costumes. And bare feet would be a problem too. As a long-time resident in tropical climes I know that sunburn would be a constant risk, not to mention insect bites. Ouch!  ::)       

But then I've always felt those long flowing capes that Superman and Batman have are highly impractical too.

I remember somewhere reading the adventures of a superhero who kept getting tangled in, up or tripping over his cape. 
What are capes for? For the artist. Drawing a character wearing a cape adds a dynamism to the art.
Look at how much fun they have drawing Batman.
Cheers! 
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2022, 05:22:56 AM »

Well, Supergirl got trouser pants to wear in the recent TV series.
That's my problem with Vampirella, Red Sonja and all the Jungle girls in their brief costumes. It's just way too unbelievable that anybody would fight, climb trees, sword-fight ::), run, ride horses in those costumes. And bare feet would be a problem too. As a long-time resident in tropical climes I know that sunburn would be a constant risk, not to mention insect bites. Ouch!  ::)       

But then I've always felt those long flowing capes that Superman and Batman have are highly impractical too. I remember somewhere reading the adventures of a superhero who kept getting tangled in, up or tripping over his cape. 
What are capes for? For the artist. Drawing a character wearing a cape adds a dynamism to the art.
Look at how much fun they have drawing Batman.
Cheers!

Thanks Panther. I guess Superman had a cape, so it became the essential fashion item (Though The Flash managed to avoid it, and no doubt many more). I recently read a Batman comic where he had to swim underwater to escape a trap, and there's no way he could have managed it in full cape. But it does make for a great visual.

Re Supergirl, she has had tons of costumes over the years. I meet with a 14-year-old girl every week to help her with reading and schoolwork, and she loves the Superman Adventures comics that also occasionally include Supergirl. In that one, she has the midriff top and micro-mini. (Check for the book 'Supergirl Adventures: Girl of Steel'). All I can say is that she'd better keep her knees together when flying!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.