in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group # 286 - 2022-23 Christmas 2nd Installment

Pages: [1] 2 3

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group # 286 - 2022-23 Christmas 2nd Installment  (Read 2423 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Reading Group # 286 - 2022-23 Christmas 2nd Installment
« on: December 12, 2022, 12:46:02 AM »

Back in 'the day' it was common practice for some 'dramatic' comic strips in newspapers to have a Christmas story.
I remember the Disney ones which would always reach the climax on Christmas Eve.

It seems Will Eisner did this regularly with the Spirit inserts
Here are two and there is at least one more in our archives.     

The Spirit (1941-12-28) - Parkchester Review
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=39126

The Spirit (1940-12-22) - Minneapolis Star Journal
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=33192

There are also several of these in Schoolgirls picture library.

Schoolgirls' Picture Library 040 - Christmas in The Highlands
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=76870

I was aware that not all the Christmas stories on CB+ are in the 'Christmas' section.
So I decided to highlight some  of them.
My idea and Paw Broon's encyclopedic knowledge of the collection to help me find them.
Thanks Paw!   

Happy yuletide reading all!
https://historythings.com/what-is-yuletide-anyway/
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group # 286 - 2022-23 Christmas 2nd Installment
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 08:31:32 AM »

Interesting selections, Panther. Here are my thoughts on the first of The Spirit ones from the Parkchester Review:

The Christmas Spirit

Interesting the way the tales weave in amongst each other. A bit reminiscent of A Christmas Carol, with hardened hearts finding redemption at Christmas, but this time through kindness. Though I did get a little confused a couple of times, and it ends quite abruptly.

Lady Luck

I wasn’t familiar with this character, so I was thinking it was going to be more serious. I guess ending with a Merry Christmas bomb is more fun than a real bomb, but it didn’t really work for me.

Mr Mystic

Mr Mystic and the Spirit team up to free a boy who was framed for murder and they all live happily ever after … except for the crooks.

Overall

I’ve never read any Spirit comics, so these characters are all new to me. If I was already familiar with them, I probably would have enjoyed it more. But it was a nice upbeat comic for Christmas. Good to see some of the heroes and heroines spreading the Christmas cheer. For those in the know, are these characters usually humorous?

Cheers

Quirky Quokka
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 09:35:27 AM »

The Spirit is one of the real biggies and Will Eisner is considered one of the all time great creators. Rightly so. 
Lady Luck can be a wee gem at times.  I enjoy her tales.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 11:52:15 AM »

For those in the know, are these characters usually humorous? 

It's interesting to see the perspective of someone who has never met the Spirit or Lady Luck before.
I've never thought of the Spirit as primarily humorous, but I can see why you might think so from only reading one example of each.
Lady Luck? Not comedy but deliberatly light-hearted. The Strip doesn't take itself too seriously.

A better description for both, would  be whimsical, in the same way as Walt Kelly.
These comics were created by Eisner and published in Newspapers as separate sections.
One of the concerns was to create something that would also appeal to adults rather than regular comic book readers. To that end, many of the Spirit stories have a very serious intent indeed, but always in the particular style he used for the strip.
If you are interested, look for some of the stand-alone graphic novels Eisner published towards the end of his career. You will see a similar style and very adult material indeed.
If these Reading Group selections do nothing more than introduce you to the SPIRIT and will Eisner's work,QQ, I will consider it a job well done.
Cheers!               
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 12:55:10 AM »

Interesting selections, Panther. Here are my thoughts on the first of The Spirit ones from the Parkchester Review:

The Christmas Spirit

Interesting the way the tales weave in amongst each other. A bit reminiscent of A Christmas Carol, with hardened hearts finding redemption at Christmas, but this time through kindness. Though I did get a little confused a couple of times, and it ends quite abruptly.

Lady Luck

I wasn’t familiar with this character, so I was thinking it was going to be more serious. I guess ending with a Merry Christmas bomb is more fun than a real bomb, but it didn’t really work for me.

Mr Mystic

Mr Mystic and the Spirit team up to free a boy who was framed for murder and they all live happily ever after … except for the crooks.

Overall

I’ve never read any Spirit comics, so these characters are all new to me. If I was already familiar with them, I probably would have enjoyed it more. But it was a nice upbeat comic for Christmas. Good to see some of the heroes and heroines spreading the Christmas cheer. For those in the know, are these characters usually humorous?

Cheers

Quirky Quokka

Every Spirit Story I've read has had a slight touch of whimsical humour injected by Eisner, to give the story a lighter overall feel and lighter mood at the end.  There is always some whimsical repartee between The Spirit and Comidssioner Dolan, or The Spirit and Ebony.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 02:52:16 AM »

Thanks for choosing the Christmas Spirit, Panther. I've responded to them in chronological order, starting with the 1940 entry.

So the Spirit believes that the Christmas Spirit fights crime and evil? It's interesting that a Jewish writer would espouse such a theory, though it may just be an example of Eisner knowing his audience. My beloved late wife was Jewish and she couldn't wait to move out from her parents so she could have an Xmas tree in the holiday season like "everyone else." Her Uncle also sat shiva for her when she married me. It's complicated stuff.

It does raise questions about the Spirit's origin - I wouldn't espouse the theory that he was a Christ-like figure though he did "rise again" with a power of self regeneration that suggests he may have become literally immortal. More revealing is the fact that he dug himself free from his own grave, meaning his body was never embalmed, strongly suggesting Denny Colt was Jewish.

As with much Eisner art there's a lot of fairly fussy detail and a good few distance shots, I note that Simple Simon bears a close resemblance to Mr Dusk (though I can't say who came first!) The crux of the story is that even the most black-hearted villains can have a soft and sentimental side that will prompt them to act against their worst intentions (though I wouldn't recommend trying this theory out on The Red Skull or Dr Doom! Maybe you'd have more success with Magneto, who is also, coincidentally, Jewish?)

Whatever one's beliefs, Eisner's Spirit stories so often possess a sense of warmth and humanity (okay, and whimsy!) that shine through and set the character apart from the host of costumed do-gooders inhabiting the "funny papers." In spite of Eisner's collection of racially stereotyped sidekicks like Ebony, I'm still convinced they were intended to be somehow more inclusive than divisive, though maybe I can only say that because I'm white. I invite opposing opinions.

I'm more worried about how things turned out for the caged kangaroo!

On Lady Luck, I'm not familiar enough with Agatha Christie to appreciate the parody, and I'm not familiar enough with Chuck Mazoujian's art to say for certain whether or not Eisner did the layouts, though I have my suspicions. I enjoyed the strip much more when it was in the hands of Klaus Nordling, but this is still good.

Most disturbing is Mr Mystic. This is NOT a tale full of Xmas spirit, humour, and whimsy. This is a tale of the frightful misunderstandings that can blight human relationships, and which the Shadowman is plainly only too happy to take advantage of.  Has Elena really loved and courted death all her life? Or is she just so mad with her human beau that she'll set all else aside to hurt him? Will Penny let her true feelings for Mr Mystic be known in later episodes, and will he be able to accept them? Or, like a Cornell Woolrich novel, will everything turn to crap before our eyes? These four short pages are pumped full of incredibly strong and conflicting emotions which are anything but Christmassy, and more power to Powell for unleashing them upon us. It's heartbreakingly sad, but it affects me far more than all the Santas and Xmas trees you could shake a stick at. Maybe that's just me.

I'll take a look at the next one another night.
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 03:01:12 AM »

Schoolgirl Picture Library #40

Since the Spirit is a known quantity, I decided to start here.

Christmas in the Highlands

Decorate a Scottish castle in real English style? Is that allowed?  ;)

Good art, nice story.

The Spirit 1941-12-28

The Christmas Spirit: Trilogy

Not bad, although the executing Santa Claus reminded me of the Red Dwarf episode where Lister watched Winnie the Pooh be executed.

Lady Luck

Some nice cheesecake shots. This was acceptable to newspapers of the time?

The present doesn't make much sense though. Why would the present go off at midnight when the people might be asleep and not see it? That aside it was an otherwise amusing romp.

Mr. Mystic

Cute. I liked the way the artist kept the guest characters mostly secret for the end reveal.

Other than that we have the cliche of someone about to executed to artificially drive up the stakes. Also why would a desk sergeant have the authority to free a kid on death row? Wouldn't that be up to the governor and/or warden? Minor points, but I'm a member of the Nitpickers Guild.  ;)

The Spirit 1940-12-22

The Spirit

Yeah, Spirit, it's not like Santa doesn't have plenty to do on Christmas Eve already you decide to have him do your job as well. *sigh*  ::)  ;)

Cute.

Lady Luck

Kind of surprised the aunt didn't solve the crime. Okay story.

Mr. Mystic

Uhhhh... wow... Merry Christmas readers, Elena loves death more than Mr. Mystic. That's an interesting message to send readers. Yikes.

Was this part of an ongoing storyline or was it a stand-alone? It feels like some parts are missing which might be answered in previous installments.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 04:50:41 AM »

Thank you for a very nice Christmas present. I've always loved any chance I can get to read The Spirit in the original sections that were made for the papers, complete with secondary features like Mr Mystic. It's getting harder to find them unless you spend big bucks for the originals. I can understand the allure to collecting them. I almost always go through all the stories first, just looking at the art highlights, then come back and read them and dig out the background details. The lines, the details, it never gets old.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 05:28:52 AM »

Thanks for choosing the Christmas Spirit, Panther. I've responded to them in chronological order, starting with the 1940 entry.

So the Spirit believes that the Christmas Spirit fights crime and evil? (1) It's interesting that a Jewish writer would espouse such a theory, though it may just be an example of Eisner knowing his audience. My beloved late wife was Jewish and she couldn't wait to move out from her parents so she could have an Xmas tree in the holiday season like "everyone else." Her Uncle also sat shiva for her when she married me. It's complicated stuff.

(2) It does raise questions about the Spirit's origin - I wouldn't espouse the theory that he was a Christ-like figure though he did "rise again" with a power of self regeneration that suggests he may have become literally immortal. (3) More revealing is the fact that he dug himself free from his own grave, meaning his body was never embalmed, strongly suggesting Denny Colt was Jewish.

As with much Eisner art there's a lot of fairly fussy detail and a good few distance shots, I note that Simple Simon bears a close resemblance to Mr Dusk (though I can't say who came first!) The crux of the story is that even the most black-hearted villains can have a soft and sentimental side that will prompt them to act against their worst intentions (though I wouldn't recommend trying this theory out on The Red Skull or Dr Doom! Maybe you'd have more success with Magneto, who is also, coincidentally, Jewish?)

Whatever one's beliefs, Eisner's Spirit stories so often possess a sense of warmth and humanity (okay, and whimsy!) that shine through and set the character apart from the host of costumed do-gooders inhabiting the "funny papers." (4) In spite of Eisner's collection of racially stereotyped sidekicks like Ebony, I'm still convinced they were intended to be somehow more inclusive than divisive, though maybe I can only say that because I'm white. I invite opposing opinions.

I'm more worried about how things turned out for the caged kangaroo!

On Lady Luck, I'm not familiar enough with Agatha Christie to appreciate the parody, and I'm not familiar enough with Chuck Mazoujian's art to say for certain whether or not Eisner did the layouts, though I have my suspicions. I enjoyed the strip much more when it was in the hands of Klaus Nordling, but this is still good.

Most disturbing is Mr Mystic. This is NOT a tale full of Xmas spirit, humour, and whimsy. This is a tale of the frightful misunderstandings that can blight human relationships, and which the Shadowman is plainly only too happy to take advantage of.  Has Elena really loved and courted death all her life? Or is she just so mad with her human beau that she'll set all else aside to hurt him? Will Penny let her true feelings for Mr Mystic be known in later episodes, and will he be able to accept them? Or, like a Cornell Woolrich novel, will everything turn to crap before our eyes? These four short pages are pumped full of incredibly strong and conflicting emotions which are anything but Christmassy, and more power to Powell for unleashing them upon us. It's heartbreakingly sad, but it affects me far more than all the Santas and Xmas trees you could shake a stick at. Maybe that's just me.

I'll take a look at the next one another night.
K1ngcat   

(1) It is not surprising, in the slightest, to me that a young aspiring Jewish author, in a large majority Christian country, would write towards the vast majority of his potential audience.  And, as an American, he would not choose to ignore such a revered part of his nation's cultural tradition.  In addition to that, all Jews, with the cultural memory of a couple thousand years of persecution and restrictive living in religious Christian and Moslem countries, want their newly adopted secular-leaning nations to be as secular as possible in all aspects, to avoid ever again ending up trapped in a situation where prejudice and intolerance, for any minority, reigns.  A good example of this is seen in the fact that most of the most famous and popular American secular Christmas songs have been written by Jews (many of them devout in their Jewish beliefs). Irving Berlin, Harold Arlen, and many other Tin Pan Alley songwriters, etc.  They were not converts to Christianity, or Jews who had a Christmas tree in their homes.  They were Jews who wanted Christmas to become a more secular, National holiday, concentrating on good feelings towards all Mankind, and things that ALL Americans, Christians or not, could share, rather than Christians being separate from non-Christians in their celebration, and concentrating on things they were taught in Church, which unfortunately included that The Sin of The killing of Christ will be on the heads of The Jews forever.  The unfair treatment of minorities is also a reason why much larger percentage of Jewish citizens (than the average citizen in USA, or Canada, or even The UK, for that matter) choose to enter the field of law (lawyers and judges) to help make as sure as possible that there will be equal protection under the laws for all citizens (and even non-citizen residents). It is very clear from the body of Eisner's work that justice and fairness were very important to him and his outlook on life.

(2) I agree.  I doubt that Eisner intended for The Spirit to be a Christlike figure.  I think he simply intended him to be a man dedicated to fighting against injustice and the resulting actions coming from ill will.The self regeneration probably just represents an awakening "spirit" in him, when he decided that if he wanted The World to be as good as possible for people, with no injustice (or, realistically, as little as possible), he'd have to take it on himself, to do the most he could do to help that cause.

(3) Suggesting denny Colt had been raised Jewish because he had not been embalmed leads me to ask the following question: "In Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and protestant Christian traditions, do ALL believers have to be embalmed?" I don't know very much about Christian religious rites and traditions.

(4) I agree 100% with you on this.  I don't believe Eisner was trying to poke fun at Ebony for being a so-called Black person.  I think he was trying to be inclusive by making a person of African heritage (African-American) his sidekick.  And he made him funny-looking for the general comedy effect - not specifically to denigrate him.  He could have denigrated other African American characters, not associated with The Spirit, if that were his purpose.  I think that the fact that he looks like a stereotyped Black character, that happened to have been invented by people to belittle Africans is just a coincidence of osmosis and the drawing style of the times.  I don't think Eisner had the slightest intention to denigrate Ebony.  It's a case of doing what everyone else is doing, because you've seen it all your life, and without thinking about it, you internalise the "feeling" "THAT is the way it is done".  Like picking up a swearing word or phrase from another language or culture without thinking about what it means literally (i.e. involuntarily blurting out the words, "Jesus Christ!" when you are upset or shocked, when you've lived in Christian countries all (or most of) your life, and are Jewish or Moslem, or certainly not Christian in any way).  People say what they hear, and draw what they see.  Eisner's work shows he was dedicated to fairness for everyone, not just to an elite group, or the majority of people but not some inferior ones.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 07:13:23 AM »

Interesting observations, Robb!
: "In Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and protestant Christian traditions, do ALL believers have to be embalmed?" I don't know very much about Christian religious rites and traditions.

in this article, note that it says, 'Allowed'' not mandatory.
https://www.everplans.com/articles/religious-perspectives-on-embalming
I do know that in the past, in wars that involved notions or groups that pitted Protestant against Catholic, like the English civil wars, both sides had strict different burial practices to carry the distinctions to the grave.
In Christianity, cremation traditionally has been a no-no, since the traditional belief is that all will be raised for judgement, so you didn't cremate a body.
So both cremation and embalming have crept in in more secular times.
1/ So, my inquiring mind has two thoughts.
Perhaps embalming, in particular, became acceptable for the following reason. From the time Magellan circumnavigated the world, and a a little earlier, men and  women often died thousands of miles from their families and their homes. And many wanted the bodies of their loved ones taken home for burial in the family plot, town or village. Embalming would have been necessary for preservation during long voyages.
I know for sure, that this was traditionally the case for the Chinese who always shipped their dead home from the goldfields to be buried with their ancestors.
2/. I don't know the reason for the Jewish ban on embalming. However the Jews were living in Egypt and persecuted by the Egyptians. Embalming is crucial to the traditional Egyptian way of life, so I have to wonder if the association of embalming with Egypt was a mitigating factor?   
   A good example of this is seen in the fact that most of the most famous and popular American secular Christmas songs have been written by Jews (many of them devout in their Jewish beliefs). Irving Berlin, Harold Arlen, and many other Tin Pan Alley songwriters, etc.  They were not converts to Christianity, or Jews who had a Christmas tree in their homes.  They were Jews who wanted Christmas to become a more secular, National holiday, concentrating on good feelings towards all Mankind,

I had never thought about that, so thank you.
I would include in that, the older films that Hollywood made about Christmas, given that many of the Movie Moguls, directors, writers and producers were also Jewish.
cheers!         

ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 07:47:00 AM »

There's a book out that says just that, A.P. How the modern idea of Christmas was pretty much shaped by guys like MGM's Louis Mayer and the Warner Bros celebrating a more tolerant culture. All of this also reminds me of Big Daddy Bill Gaines, the man who said he was an atheist Jew who believed in Santa Claus.
King Cat, I know what you mean. I was lucky and had friends with a broader view, though. We'd all say "Keep Saturn in Saturnalia" and celebrate at the local Chinese restaurant, the divorced dads, the Asians, and the Jews. One time the owner put on John Fahey's Christmas album...just him doing acoustic guitar. A lovely moment. I had to leave early and an Asian girl who had a crush on me gave me a big hug and kiss and said; "Drive carefully. It's Christmas and this is a Christian country. That means half the folks on the road are going to be bombed out of their minds."
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 07:59:44 AM »

(4) I agree 100% with you on this.  I don't believe Eisner was trying to poke fun at Ebony for being a so-called Black person.  I think he was trying to be inclusive by making a person of African heritage (African-American) his sidekick.  And he made him funny-looking for the general comedy effect - not specifically to denigrate him.  He could have denigrated other African American characters, not associated with The Spirit, if that were his purpose.  I think that the fact that he looks like a stereotyped Black character, that happened to have been invented by people to belittle Africans is just a coincidence of osmosis and the drawing style of the times.  I don't think Eisner had the slightest intention to denigrate Ebony.  It's a case of doing what everyone else is doing, because you've seen it all your life, and without thinking about it, you internalise the "feeling" "THAT is the way it is done". 

That's interesting, Robb and K1ngcat. With this being the first time I have read these comics, these characters were all new to me and I actually thought Ebony was a talking monkey--another whimsical feature. Until I read your comments, I didn't realise he was a person. Even taking into account the way black characters were drawn back in the day, it still seems a little extreme. But Spirit does treat him kindly.

Cheers

Quirky Quokka
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2022, 08:01:28 AM »

Thanks for all of your comments everyone. This is the first time I have read The Spirit and it seems I have a lot to learn. I've downloaded a regular Spirit comic and a Lady Luck one, so I'll familiarise myself with those a bit more. Your comments are enlightening, as always.

Cheers

Quirky Quokka
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2022, 10:58:36 AM »

There's a book out that says just that, A.P. How the modern idea of Christmas was pretty much shaped by guys like MGM's Louis Mayer and the Warner Bros celebrating a more tolerant culture. All of this also reminds me of Big Daddy Bill Gaines, the man who said he was an atheist Jew who believed in Santa Claus.
King Cat, I know what you mean. I was lucky and had friends with a broader view, though. We'd all say "Keep Saturn in Saturnalia" and celebrate at the local Chinese restaurant, along with the divorced dads, the Asians, and the Jews. One time the owner put on John Fahey's Christmas album...just him doing acoustic guitar. A lovely moment. I had to leave early and an Asian girl who had a crush on me gave me a big hug and kiss and said; "Drive carefully. It's Christmas and this is a Christian country. That means half the folks on the road are going to be bombed out of their minds."

There's an old saying among The Jews of Canada and USA, when their young children or grandchildren ask them why we don't have Christmas trees, or wait for Santa Claus to bring gifts. "We Jews celebrate Christmas too!  It's the one day of the year we don't have to wait to get a table at our favourite Chinese restaurant!"

There's an analogous one in Holland, as well.  But it's not about restaurants.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 04:51:00 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2022, 11:24:10 AM »

Interesting observations, Robb!
: "In Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and protestant Christian traditions, do ALL believers have to be embalmed?" I don't know very much about Christian religious rites and traditions.

in this article, note that it says, 'Allowed'' not mandatory.
https://www.everplans.com/articles/religious-perspectives-on-embalming
I do know that in the past, in wars that involved notions or groups that pitted Protestant against Catholic, like the English civil wars, both sides had strict different burial practices to carry the distinctions to the grave.
In Christianity, cremation traditionally has been a no-no, since the traditional belief is that all will be raised for judgement, so you didn't cremate a body.
So both cremation and embalming have crept in in more secular times.
1/ So, my inquiring mind has two thoughts.
Perhaps embalming, in particular, became acceptable for the following reason. From the time Magellan circumnavigated the world, and a a little earlier, men and  women often died thousands of miles from their families and their homes. And many wanted the bodies of their loved ones taken home for burial in the family plot, town or village. Embalming would have been necessary for preservation during long voyages.
I know for sure, that this was traditionally the case for the Chinese who always shipped their dead home from the goldfields to be buried with their ancestors.
2/. I don't know the reason for the Jewish ban on embalming. However the Jews were living in Egypt and persecuted by the Egyptians. Embalming is crucial to the traditional Egyptian way of life, so I have to wonder if the association of embalming with Egypt was a mitigating factor?  
   A good example of this is seen in the fact that most of the most famous and popular American secular Christmas songs have been written by Jews (many of them devout in their Jewish beliefs). Irving Berlin, Harold Arlen, and many other Tin Pan Alley songwriters, etc.  They were not converts to Christianity, or Jews who had a Christmas tree in their homes.  They were Jews who wanted Christmas to become a more secular, National holiday, concentrating on good feelings towards all Mankind,

I had never thought about that, so thank you.
I would include in that, the older films that Hollywood made about Christmas, given that many of the Movie Moguls, directors, writers and producers were also Jewish.
cheers!     

I doubt that The Hebrews' memory of having been enslaved by The embalming-happy Egyptians played any part in The Orthodox Jewish prohibition on embalming.  Embalming was a no-no because, since the start of Messianic Judaism (about 100 B.C.E), embalming was thought to ruin the deceased body, keeping it from being capable of being brought back to life when, at the chosen time, The Lord would raise the righteous dead to join the righteous living, to dwell together in The Lord's Kingdom in The Hereafter.  So, all ultra religious Jews know they must be not be embalmed or cremated, and be buried in the ground (earth), and not in those modern stacks of drawers that hold coffins, these days, in urban areas where there is no more land left for graveyards, or where they dig up old coffins and cremate the remains, so current deceased persons can have their own place in the ground (if only temporarily).  All that wouldn't matter to the Ethiopic Falashas, who lost contact with The Israelites and Judahites before 100 B.C.E., and whose form of Jewish worship was much more ancient than the forms in Israel and Judah evolved from 300 to 100 B.C.E.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2022, 07:51:54 PM »

With this being the first time I have read these comics, these characters were all new to me and I actually thought Ebony was a talking monkey

Strangely enough, when Jack Cole created Midnight, a shameless ripoff of The Spirit appearing in Quality's Smash Comics, his Ebony substitute was a monkey...a talking monkey to boot.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2022, 09:24:30 PM »

The Spirit  issue from The Minneapolis Star Journal

The Spirit

Uplifting story about the crooks responding to the spirit of Christmas, but as an Aussie, I'm worried about the caged fighting kangaroo. Did they let him out for Christmas? Also in this comic and the other Spirit one, some of the cast face the 'camera' and talk to the reader. Makes sense for a Merry Christmas one, but it reminded me of some of the Superman comics I have in three compilation volumes from 1938-1945. Superman would often turn to the camera for public service announcements. I remember one story in which some racketeers had been making shopkeepers put slot machines in their stores, thereby helping kids to get addicted to playing them. At the end, Superman turns to the camera and warns kids about the dangers of these machines. During the war years, Superman did a lot of  'turn to the camera' public service announcements, such as encouraging people to recycle waste paper for the war effort or warn people not to be tempted to buy black market goods.

Lady Luck

Lady Luck didn't seem to do much to catch the crooks. She only waved her gun at the kidnapper after little Alice had already made a break for it. Like Phantom Lady, it's amazing no one knew her secret identity, given that she is just wearing what looks like a businesswoman's suit and no mask. And speaking of that business suit, I can assure you gents that no woman could 'nimbly climb' through a second-storey window in a skirt that narrow - LOL - But it was a light-hearted romp.

Mr Mystic

Again, not being familiar with these characters, I initially thought the man in the blue suit was The Spirit. It was nice that Mr Mystic showed us how a magic trick works, but this is a bit of a downer for a Christmas issue, after the cheery 'Merry Christmas' earlier. Nothing like a bit of death and heartbreak for Christmas Eve. Does Mr Mystic end up with Penny?

It was good to read both of The Spirit comics, but I think I'll have to read some of the regular comics to get a better feel for these characters.

Cheers

Quirky Quills

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 09:27:14 PM by Quirky Quokka »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2022, 11:08:39 PM »

some of the cast face the 'camera' and talk to the reader.

QQ, this is known as 'breaking the fourth wall' and is surprisingly common, both in comics and in movies and TV.
The recent She-Hulk TV series has been almost universally condemned, not just for plain bad writing and characterization, but because it is clear that the producers have never read the source material.
The originator of the series, John Byrne, had himself (as the creator) and She-Hulk constantly arguing with each other and bending the normal conventions of the comic book narrative.
The "fourth wall" is the invisible barrier between the fictional world and the real world, the thing that separates the characters in a comic from the people reading the comic. The term comes from stage plays, where every room has only three walls, because the fourth wall is the one we look through to watch the show. The actors in the play always ignored the fourth wall, unless they were talking to the audience. 

16 Comic Book Characters Who Broke the Fourth Wall
https://www.cbr.com/16-comic-book-characters-who-broke-the-fourth-wall/
Creators of Newspaper strips often do it as a source for the daily gags.
Why Do Comics Break the Fourth Wall?
https://www.gocomics.com/blog/4703/why-do-comics-break-the-fourth-wall
Re Superman and 'Public Service announcements, during the WW II years it was routine in many comics to have a stand-alone page where the characters would implore kids to buy bonds or support the war effort in other ways.
Warning, Spoilers!
Top 10 Fourth Wall Breaks In John Byrne's She-Hulk Comics
https://www.cbr.com/fourth-wall-breaks-in-john-byrne-she-hulk-comics/

Cheers!

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 11:18:50 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2022, 01:13:41 AM »

The Spirit--1940

Everybody writes in praise of Will Eisner's graphic innovations. The praise is well deserved! But sometimes it makes us overlook his gifts as a writer. The man was a master of the comic book short story. It's amazing how much plot and character he could pack into seven pages. Six pages rather, since the first page was usually a big splash image with a panel or two to get the ball rolling.

This story is a nice example of his craft. It's a simple story about two bad guys doing the right thing for once. But Simple Simon and Black Henry come across as believable people with little quirks that make them stand out from countless other comic book crooks. I like when Henry accepts the priest's invitation to come into the church, Simon protests, "Wait, Henry! I don't belong to this church!" and Henry replies, "So what? We're crooks!"

Using four tiers of tiny panels the anonymous Lady Luck writer generates roughly the same amount of space as the Spirit story. Unlike the Spirit story this one's a mess. The story could to have been about either Aunt Agnes or bumbling Inspector Hencastle. Putting them both in, then adding to that Lady Luck, the butler, and Inspector Hardy--heaven knows where he came from--results in a choppy story that tries to cover too much ground. Hencastle barely has anything to do. What he does do has no effect on the story. Aunt Agnes does several comic turns but never really tries to take over the investigation as she threatens to. In the end she's as extraneous as Hardy, who wipes his brow and bemoans the chaos. At least I think that's Hardy, since half the men in the story wear blue suits.

I'd wondered what everyone else was talking about when discussing the Mr Mystic episode. Now I know. What a weird downer of a story!! I'll have to hand it to Powell (or whoever wrote this) for getting rid of a continuing character by having her fall in love with Death, but I need to know what made Elena so susceptible to Death's charm despite her having spent a year calling Mr M "darling" and planning to marry him. He even saved her life by turning her into a bird, as you can see in the previous week's episode, which is available here on CB+. I guess that when you gotta go you gotta go...the following week Mr M "takes a vacation" during which he once more runs into Penny Douglas. Elena is forgotten and it's Penny 24/7 from then until the feature peters out three years later. My biggest question is why Eisner elected to run this macabre sendoff in the Christmas issue. Maybe it's the only finished story he had at hand.

ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2022, 02:25:30 AM »

Schoolgirls' Picture Library #40

No surprises here, but it's an acceptable variant of the old "wrongfully disgraced" SPL plot. Plus it boasts some GDA (Good Dog Art).

The girls' comics sure did this trope to death. Usually, though, there was some effort put into making the wronged outcast seem like a bad guy. Here, the moment you see his handsome mug you know he's okay. The only question is the location of the missing dagger. The solution is a groaner, I fear.

I don't know who the artist is, but I've seen a lot of his or her work. Nothing flashy, but solid figures and a good sense of place. I gotta say though that Hector the dog has more personality than all the humans combined. The artist must have liked drawing animals. Witness the completely irrelevant squirrel closeup on our page 22.

Comes now the non-resident question period. Considering that the castle has no heat--the servant has to give Debbie a warming-pan to keep her from freezing in bed--as I say, considering this, Debbie spends an inordinate amount of time traipsing about the snowy battlements without a coat. Come to think of it, do kilt-wearing Scots not wear overcoats in freezing weather? As for haggis: I've never tasted a haggis but after studying up on it I think I'd actually like it. The dish has certainly become a running joke in some circles, rather like lutefisk was when I lived in the Pacific Northwest. Full disclosure: I've never tasted lutefisk, either, nor smelled it.

Before I started reading British school comics the only time I ever heard the word "jape" was in the title of a Philip K Dick novel, The Man Who Japed. But I never read that novel, only admired its Ed Emshwiller cover, so I'd no idea what the word meant. Schoolgirls' Picture Library writers love "jape." They use it over and over in this story. I suspect this is merely sloppy writing. The girls in one SPL story used the expression "to bowl [him] out" so often in a single story that it became tedious. I'm sure there's more than one way to say that in England. After all, these girls are the cream of educated British not-quite-womanhood.

ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2022, 02:46:02 AM »

The Spirit Xmas 1941

Eisner pulls out all the stops to bring us four tales of Xmas redemption. It's a bit hokey to have a kid's life saved by a Santa impersonator, but it's in keeping with the strip's overall Xmas message. As for Angroff the dictator, of course only an innocent child's wish could have influence over Santa Claus, who had obviously had Angroff on his naughty list for fifty years. We all know you can't kill Santa with bullets, but that doesn't stop the conqueror from having a complete change of heart. It took a minute for me to work out he was the third tramp, but gee willikers he must be a heck of a busker if he can raise the kid's cash overnight with a bit of fiddling. I do wonder how the King Hobo feels when he's sent back to the jungle after his Xmas with the Dolan family, in the same way I wonder how all the rough sleepers feel when the hospitality of Crisis at Christmas runs out. But it's a lovely gesture in keeping with the sentiments of the season, and a fitting place to end the story. Eisner does do human warmth extremely well.

Lady Luck- in lingerie, yet! Woo woo!  But a glimpse of a stocking is not that shocking (is it?) I'm familiar with Peecolo, though this is really not a good look for him. A bit of a damp squib ending, though I suppose that's intentional. Who are the mystery men who delivered the "bomb" though? The silhouettes aren't much of a clue.

Mr Mystic. Well at least the shot of Ebony's jacket behind the curtain gives the Spirit away. Mr M is out there in plain sight, it's only the back of Brenda Banks that keeps us guessing until panel 3 of the last page where a green shoe trips up a villain. In the end a wrong is righted and all is well. Is it only me that liked the drama of a Christmas Past better?

In reply to QQs observation that she took Ebony White for a talking monkey - when Jack Cole was asked to invent a pretty obvious Spirit copy, he came up with Midnight. Same hat, same suit and mask, etc., but Commissioner Dolan was replaced by a crazy inventor named Doc Wackey, and Ebony was replaced by - that's right, a talking monkey called Gabby. Like a lot of Cole strips, it takes a while for his art to mature, but once it gets going it's not so bad.  Here's one of my favourites:

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=20032

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2022, 02:49:13 AM »

Before I started reading British school comics the only time I ever heard the word "jape" was in the title of a Philip K Dick novel, The Man Who Japed. But I never read that novel, only admired its Ed Emshwiller cover, so I'd no idea what the word meant. Schoolgirls' Picture Library writers love "jape." They use it over and over in this story. I suspect this is merely sloppy writing. The girls in one SPL story used the expression "to bowl [him] out" so often in a single story that it became tedious. I'm sure there's more than one way to say that in England. After all, these girls are the cream of educated British not-quite-womanhood.

I'm gratified to know that I am not the only one on whom that kind of English 'slang' grates.
It comes across as 'twee' ['affectedly or excessively dainty, delicate, cute, or quaint']
I have heard that unlike the US where writers are of various social backgrounds and work hard to get accepted, the UK publishing industry worked through networking. Traditionally most of the writers came from 'public' schools and got work through 'old boy' networking. So, that kind of language is part of their upbringing, and probably accurate for the stories they are telling, where the characters are usually girls from boarding schools.
Not the artists of course, who are more often than not European or South American.

ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2022, 03:16:58 AM »

The Spirit--1941

The Spirit story is a little jewel. Like many of Eisner's best stories The Spirit himself hardly has anything to do with it. Eisner's favorite themes--the underdog, personal redemption, the good present in the worst of us--are woven together with a dollop of irony.

This isn't so much the story of King Hobo's redemption as it is that of Angroff, the Wolf. Playing the page 7 reveal without dialogue or captions points up how poignant an image can be. To this day comics writers wrestle with the urge to over-narrate and over-explain. Eisner knew when it was best just to shut up. The "wise men's" arrival in Bethlehem on page 1 is another nice moment.

The Lady Luck story is a build-up to a joke that's revealed in the final panel. It almost comes off, but not quite. Nick Cardy cranks up the tension panel by panel so that we're sure the package contains a bomb. Consequently when the next-to-last panel explosion hits we're sure the cast has just been blown to pieces. It took me a moment to realize that the Santa-in-the-Box in the final panel is supposed to be the exploded "bomb." It would have helped to sell the gag if the final panel showed the cast coming out of hiding to see the Santa. The floating heads make it look like the lot of them are smiling down from heaven. Next week: a new feature!

The Mr Mystic story is cute. I like the way Powell shows just enough of the guest characters to play fair with the reader without blowing the joke. There's some nice drawing here. I really like Powell's drapery. His Spirit trench coat ranks right up there with Eisner's.

Thank you, Panther and Robb, for these holiday stories...something warm to curl up with if you don't have a blazing fireplace or a large dog. Except maybe for the "death of Elena" story. I hope the lady at least enjoyed a pleasant Christmas in...wherever she went.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2022, 03:28:58 AM »

So, that kind of language is part of their upbringing, and probably accurate for the stories they are telling, where the characters are usually girls from boarding schools.

That raises an interesting question: would 1950s boarding-school girls make cricket references in everyday conversation? I thought cricket was the exclusive domain of The Lads.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2022, 10:13:01 AM »

Crash said,
would 1950s boarding-school girls make cricket references in everyday conversation? I thought cricket was the exclusive domain of The Lads.

Girls in boarding schools aren't interested in the lads?  or have brothers or fathers who play?
Do you mean to tell me that girls in the US wouldn't know Baseball terminology?
Cricket at that time was probably even more of a cultural fixture.
Also, in any case,
The first recorded match of women's cricket was reported in The Reading Mercury on 26 July 1745, a match contested "between eleven maids of Bramley and eleven maids of Hambledon, all dressed in white."[5] The first known women's cricket club was formed in 1887 in Yorkshire, named the White Heather Club. Three years later a team known as the Original English Lady Cricketers toured England, reportedly making substantial profits before their manager absconded with the money. In Australia, a women's cricket league was set up in 1894, while in South Africa, Port Elizabeth had a women's cricket team, the Pioneers Cricket Club.[6] In Canada, Victoria also had a women's cricket team that played at Beacon Hill Park.[7]
In 1958 the International Women's Cricket Council (IWCC) was formed to co-ordinate women's cricket around the world, taking over from the English Women's Cricket Association, which had been doing the same job in a de facto role since its creation 32 years earlier. In 2005, the IWCC was merged with the International Cricket Council (ICC) to form one unified body to help manage and develop cricket. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_cricket
I'm also sure women's cricket was also played in schools quite early.
Cheers! 
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.