in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

READING GROUP # 295 Witches Tales 13,24

Pages: [1] 2 3

topic icon Author Topic: READING GROUP # 295 Witches Tales 13,24  (Read 1941 times)

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
READING GROUP # 295 Witches Tales 13,24
« on: April 17, 2023, 12:27:34 PM »

Around 35 years ago, Malibu published stories from these two comics in their FIFTIES TERROR series. I bought their PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE film script a couple of years later and the series was mentioned in an ad in the back. The covers from these two were reprinted for the first two issues.  I thought they were contemporary, especially the guy sitting up in the morgue. They’re printed in the order they appeared in FIFTES TERROR.
These and the EC line were what got me into pre-code horror.
The reprint series was black and white, not colour, and you didn’t get the ads you would if you owned the originals. Which no one I knew did. Even those more famous EC reprints were still hard to come by. I had never seen an original EC.
I'd ask my uncle about the pre code horror books. He gleefully told me Harvey was ’the worst of the lot’ and I was glad when he recognized some that were reprinted. The idea that the folks behind Casper were nastier than EC still amuses me.
When I found this site, WITCHES TALES was one of the first I looked up, and loved the ads and the colours. To my mind it shows some of the potential and power of this web page.

I wonder how scary they were to kids at the time?

WITCHES TALES 24

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=21125

WITCHES TALES 13

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=17498
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 04:03:28 PM by Morgus »
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
Re: READING GROUP # 295 Witches Tales 13,24
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 05:39:28 AM »

While you glance over the selections, I almost forgot: another motive for posting these two was a question I haven't really answered myself.
By the way, I know pre code horror is a specific taste and if you're not into it, no hard feelings.

But the question itself;
Do the reprints build up a false sense of a golden age that really wasn't there? The law of the wave says that there had to be lows along with the highs. Even those EC comics had to have less than stellar stories from time to time. The same way Hitchcock and Spielberg had dud films now and again.

Then again, how else do you transmit a history to a younger base? My kids run into the same thing with all hits radio. They think it was all wall to wall masterpieces and then get the Lp's from the area and find out they had 3 good songs with filler on an LP. Not everything was REVOLVER or DECEMBER'S CHILDREN.

Another value of this site; you see the way it happened as it happened. Complete with chiseling ads and sexism and racism and off kllter printing.

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 08:12:51 AM »

Thank you Morgus!
I have worked out a timetable for the four regular posters of the Reading Group. This was Robb's turn, but he is very busy right now. I didn't want to do two in a row myself and I have always tried to open up the Reading Group so I called on Morgus ( at very short notice). He has not disappointed.
Some great questions to get our teeth into.

cheers!
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 01:50:41 AM »

Witches Tales #24

Thanks for this, Morgus. This is a choice that's right up my street!  I love the presentation, with the first page introducing the contents, I love the grisly tales of horror, and I love (some if not all) of the evocative artwork. 

UNDERTAKER gets my vote from the very start, because I'm a great fan of artist Howard Nostrand, either in spite of, or because of his ability to do an unparalleled impression of EC's Jack Davis. Maybe in this example there's a little dash of Eisner thrown in. Okay, if you're used to pre--code horror, you can see the ending coming a page or two before the denouement, but it's still a satisfying example of what you can do with five pages.

MOTHER MONGOOSE'S NURSERY CRIMES is cute, even if the scansion is poor in places, plus it gives this fanboy another dose of Nostrand, which is always welcome.

MUTINY ON THE BOUNDARY is a delightful lampoon of the historical tale, and pre-dates the movie version by eight years. It's a little wordy but Captain Blah's lithp ith well worth thitting through. Lovely art from Bob Powell (maybe inked by Nostrand too?) and it's pleasing to see the monster getting his jutht detherth in such an inventive way.

EYE EYE SIR comes across almost like a Kurtzman script, with every guy Rudy comes across going ga-ga for his female companion. It's unusually humorous for a Witch's Tale, which makes the unexpected ending all the more chilling. I fancy it might be Sid Check doing the artistic honours but I can't be 100% sure.

It's nice to get another dose of MOTHER MONGOOSE before the final tale, no complaints here!

MONUMENTAL FEAT is interesting. Perhaps if Chappie had been a little more heartless in his pursuit of sporting immortality, if he'd've crossed a few more friends on his way to the top, his death might have seemed more well-deserved, but it's still good. Perhaps the weakest of the four tales, but like you pointed out, not every one is an unforgettable classic. Three out of four ain't bad though!

The ad pages are beautiful in their own way, who wouldn't want to be a part-time shoe salesman, fly a "real" jet plane, get money the easy way, learn to hypnotise while building Da Vinci's batwings, or sell sexy nylons? It's all irresistible!

Was the golden age really there? Why, of course it was, until that idiot Wertham came along, and I'm grateful to CB+ for preserving so much of it for us, such a pity that EC comics aren't PD. But every classic album had a filler or two, nobody can be brilliant all the time, lord knows I've tried! How do you transmit it to a younger base? Well just throw it out there, it may take some time to for them to find their depth, but I guarantee, quality will out in the end.

Scarily enough, I had to Google December's Children, I think it must've been a US only release! But it looks good on paper...

Thanks for posting, Morgus, looking forward to your second choice.
All the best
K1ngcat

ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 03:06:21 AM »

Hey  King' when I was going through Number 24 I laughed out loud at the ad for the shoe salesman. Turned and said to my wife; "Screw my old career! I'm going to sell shoes door to door like this guy!"
She doubled over.

REVOLVER and DECEMBER'S CHILDREN were indeed reshuffles for the American market and deep rabbit holes that we would fall down back in the day. Which was better? UK or US version? Or the hodge podge that was DECEMBER'S? I used to gross out dates by admitting I liked YESTERDAY AND TODAY with the 'butcher cover' I didn't CARE it was a edit job. But was it wrong to do it?

And yeah, I can see some of Eisner in Nostrand too.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 05:20:20 AM »

Witches Tales #24

Cover
There's an interesting story implied there, but no story in the book really does anything with this concept. The only character in the book who fears an undertaker is alive, not dead.

Undertaker
Uhhhhhhhhhh... yeahhhhhhh... Hoo boy. Was this meant to be funny or scary? The art style, the insane argument his father uses to keep him prisoner and the ending would indicate humor, but it wasn't really funny. The set-up was too unrealistic to really work as horror. I figured it would turn out that the son was a zombie or something which is why the father didn't want him to leave. But no.

Pictures
If children playing are gory to ghouls, then why didn't the photographer hang out near a playground? Not a very well-done twist.

Mother Mongoose's Nursery Crimes
The first one is kind of funny. Is the artist Jim Mooney? The woman and her cat kind of look like Supergirl and Streaky (years before those characters were created.)

Mutiny on the Boundary
Captain Blah's lisp doesn't seem consistent, he can pronounce some S-words easily. Feels like a Mad magazine reject. How would the crew expect that nailing their captain to the mast wouldn't be considered mutiny?

Promo
"Read these different mystery magazines with the expert touch of master story telling!"
Why couldn't we have read one of those instead?  ;)

Eye Eye, Sir
I'm beginning to think horror is comedy gone bad. The explanation at the end made no sense, no eyes, just candles? Would that show through the glasses? I was thinking maybe she'd turn out to be a medusa-like creature that turns people to stone for three months and she had dumped him in the river three months ago. Makes a hell of a lot more sense than what the 'professional comic writer' came up with.

Surgery
Eh.

Monumental Feat
So, the football field is also a graveyard? Seems like that wouldn't be legal. No real surprise at the ending. So-so storytelling.

Overall, I'm not sure the creators knew what they were trying to produce. There are attempts at humor and horror elements, but the stories tend to fail at producing either humor or horror.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 07:08:02 AM »

Witches Tales #24

K1ngcat and I often agree on old comics but not this time. I have never liked horror comics, neither pre-Code nor post. Do I dislike them as much as I do war comics? Hard to say. It depends on the artwork. I'll suffer a pre-Code horror comic if the art's good.

Harvey's horror titles often featured excellent art, mostly by Bob Powell, Howard Nostrand, and Lee Elias. The quality of the stories varied wildly. Being me, the less gruesome the subject matter the better I liked them. What the stories had in common were frequent, often incongruous, humor and short, rather choppy stories that often sacrificed making sense in order to reach the punch line.

"Undertaker" boasts a remarkable art job by Nostrand. There's no missing the heavy Eisner influence in the layouts. Combined with dramatic lighting and several cinematic three-panel sequences it makes for an impressive-looking production. The art is way too good for the slight story, which could easily have fit into one of those half-page filler poems.

Speaking of "Mother Mongoose's Nursery Crimes," they're good for some decent art but the poems are pointless. And they don't scan.

"Mutiny on the Boundary" hearkens back to the 1935 feature film with Charles Laughton as Captain Bligh. Bob Powell does a savage caricature of Laughton though "Mr Gobble" doesn't look much like Clark Gable. Overall his art is excellent. The slow-moving story veers from movie parody to straight drama and back again. The horror element in the payoff seems tacked on. Incidentally, I found the captain's lisp aggravating to the extreme.

Whoever wrote "Eye, Eye, Sir" was in full-out "copy Kurtzman" mode. I never cared for Kurtzman's shtick of having men go insane and babble nonsense at the sight of an attractive woman. It always seemed idiotic rather than funny. This writer pushes Kurtzman's already over-the-top gimmick to the limit. At least he gives us the immortal monologue "Wow! Zowie! Zoom zoom zoom! Adolph Menjou! Go...go!" The ending is a total non sequitur. I want even a dumb story to have some sort of logic. We're teased constantly about the woman's glasses so we expect them to figure in the final payoff. But candles in her eye sockets? How the devil does that connect with anything in the story? We don't even get a weak play on words like "her glowing eyes" to set up the finale.

The imitation Wood art perfectly suits the imitation Kurtzman story. I didn't recognize Sid Check. I'm more accustomed to his Williamson-inspired fine line style. Check's take on Wood's Mad style is quite good. It has enough personal traits to be more than a flat out Wood copy.

"Monumental Feat" is the worst story in the issue. By page two you know exactly where it's going and all you can do is twiddle your thumbs waiting for the non-surprise ending. It bugs me is that the entire story is built around the ridiculous notion that a football field would have a line of stone monuments in the end zone. You'd think that after harping endlessly on these monuments the writer would use them in the story's resolution. The obvious way would be to have Chappie smash his head into one of them after his record-setting run. But no, he snuffs it on the goalpost and the tale ends with a dull thud. As for the art, Joe Certa's heavy inks almost bury Manny Stallman's pencils. It's a competent job but lacks the flair of the art in the other stories.

The ads are always interesting. I puzzled over Take Orders for Famous Nylons! Usually such ads give you an inkling of how the scam--sorry, I meant the sales opportunity--works. Not this one. How are you supposed to get your orders without house-to-house canvassing? By posting classified ads? I wonder if it was like some sales operations in the 1920s and 1930s. The manufacturer loaned you a car which you used to travel the boondocks wholesaling their product to local retailers. You paid all your expenses including gas and you earned a commission on each sale. No sales, no income. Of course you were on the hook financially if anything happened to the car. Could this have been the Wil-Knit Hosiery Company's system?

Mason Shoes reminds me of an episode of M.A.S.H. in which Radar signs up to sell shoes for the Style-Rite Shoe Company. I wonder if any of those Professional Selling Outfits still exist. I should look them up on eBay. I could be walking on 10,000 little air bubbles in a pair of Velvet-eeze shoes. Unfortunately every time I read "Velvet-eeze" my mind wants to read "Velveeta" and I'm left with the mental image of slogging around in shoes filled with that weird yellow cheese-like substance.

The crazy thing about the Real Jet Plane is that it really was a jet-powered plane. More accurately, it was rocket-powered. You loaded the Jetex motor with solid fuel pellets. It produced enough thrust to power model planes, cars, and such. Jetex motors were used by the Supermarionation crew for exhaust effects! Here's the Wikipedia entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetex

A couple of lines in the ad for 20 Dresses for $3.50 caught my eye: All Sizes in Good Condition and In excellent condition, slight repair needed. Sounds to me like they're trying to hide the fact that they're selling used clothing. Maybe these are factory seconds or unsold low-quality merchandise sold off in bulk to comic book advertisers.

But I digress. Bottom line on Witches Tales #24 is good art, poor stories, and thankfully not overly gross.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 08:38:09 AM »

Crash said,
I never cared for Kurtzman's shtick of having men go insane and babble nonsense at the sight of an attractive woman. It always seemed idiotic rather than funny. 

Well, Tex Avery, who was a pretty good judge, thought it was funny. So much so that he repeated it several times and Jim Carey repeated it in 'The Mask'
Red Hot Riding Hood - Oh Daddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8vHq9mqZCc&ab_channel=JCH007
Oh Wollfy Tex Avery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtcJ7gvJP0Q&ab_channel=GlamaStarlet
Jim Carry - The Mask.- Wolf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twQeObqu8SU&ab_channel=%D0%94%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%81%D0%94%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%BA%D0%BE   
I guess you have to be in a crowded theatre surrounded by laughter!
I think Kurtzman was a Tex Avery fan, don't you?
Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 08:45:47 AM »

While you glance over the selections, I almost forgot: another motive for posting these two was a question I haven't really answered myself.
By the way, I know pre code horror is a specific taste and if you're not into it, no hard feelings.

But the question itself;
Do the reprints build up a false sense of a golden age that really wasn't there? The law of the wave says that there had to be lows along with the highs. Even those EC comics had to have less than stellar stories from time to time. The same way Hitchcock and Spielberg had dud films now and again.

Then again, how else do you transmit a history to a younger base? My kids run into the same thing with all hits radio. They think it was all wall to wall masterpieces and then get the Lp's from the area and find out they had 3 good songs with filler on an LP. Not everything was REVOLVER or DECEMBER'S CHILDREN.

Another value of this site; you see the way it happened as it happened. Complete with chiseling ads and sexism and racism and off kllter printing.

Hey Morgus, I'm afraid I'm in the category of those who aren't into pre-code horror, or contemporary horror for that matter. However, not so much because of a preference thing, but because it actually freaks me out. A couple of years ago, I read 'The Classic Era of American Comics' by Nicky Wright. Each chapter looked at a different genre and there were lots of illustrations. I really tried to read the horror chapter and got about halfway through, but the images were creeping me out and tended to pop into my mind when I wasn't even looking at the book, so I had to skip to the next chapter. I like suspense and thriller, but not when it gets too icky. I couldn't even watch Jack and the Beanstalk as a kid because the giant was too scary. So I might sit on the sidelines for this one, and glance over at everyone's comments in between reading my Archie comics  :D

I can relate to your analogy of music albums that don't quite deliver. I've bought a few albums on the strength of one or two hit songs and then discovered they were the only songs I liked on the albums. I bought Lloyd Cole and the Commotions 'Rattlesnakes' album on the strength of the title song and discovered it was the only one I liked. And I think I bought a Procul Harum album once on the strength of 'Whiter Shade of Pale' (what else?), and didn't like the other tracks.

And even though it makes me cringe, I do like the fact that the comics are in their original form, including sexist, racist and otherwise politically incorrect statements and illustrations from time to time. It reminds us where we've been and (hopefully) how far we've come, though still a way to go.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 04:47:12 PM »

I was expecting that you’d have the story on that jet engine motor, ‘Crash and I’m glad you didn’t disappoint. The Jet-ex is back in issue 13, by the way. Long term client.
But honestly, that used clothing ad freaks me out more that any story. Ewwww. Hey, do you think all the kids got for their money with the FLY LIKE A BIRD ad was a photostat of daVinci’s wings?
Q.Q.; I haven’t heard anyone mention Llloyd Cole in so long..had to google to see if he was still alive. Hope he’s smiling now, at least....and with Procol Harum, I took about 20 minutes in the store figuring out which was the greatest hits album, and which was the first album.
I never did figure out what was the matter with the gals eyes in EYE EYE SIR.  But that was Harvey. They managed to shoot themselves in the foot with their endings a lot of times. This includes that final panel of the punch drunk fighter smashing the head of his mean manager-not included in these sample issues. They had to doctor it just to get it printed, but then, the joke didn’t work, so why DO it?
Didn’t get to see that one until the black and white reprints, either...so another bonus for the original art finally coming out.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2023, 10:01:58 PM »

Sorry, Morgus, my bumping thumping brain can't help exploring these rabbit holes. I did look into Mason Shoes and found a rather sad story. Mason was a legitimate manufacturer of shoes--decent quality shoes, from what I read--located in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. It finally stopped making shoes in 2003, one year short of the company's 100th anniversary. Mason was one of those old-fashioned American companies that supplied employment for hundreds of local residents, some of whom spent their entire working lives with the company. Mason had been struggling for years, squeezed between competition from foreign manufacturers and rising material costs as suppliers moved overseas, driving up shipping costs. After trying numerous ways of keeping the business profitable they admitted they couldn't produce their shoes domestically at a competitive price and closed the factory.

The company "expanded beyond shoes into apparel, household goods, and beauty products, maintaining nine distinct retail brands," according to a 2022 article, and still flourishes in Chippewa Falls, where it runs a popular outlet store.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 10:20:51 PM »

Never apologize for that, ‘Crash. It’s a way cool thing.
Sad about the Mason shoe people, though. I always day dreamed about some guy from the NBA going back to his home town and starting a shoe factory to make a sneaker he designed. Everybody paid a good wage. Shoes at a decent price. I’m thinking that economic model can’t be done now.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 12:08:42 AM by Morgus »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 02:42:26 AM »

Witches Tales #13

Cover
What was Lee Elias using for reference when he drew that rat/mouse/opossum/thing?

Elixir of Evil!
Why didn't the professor lock up the real formula and replace it with a vial of water? A much better story than the ones in issue 24. Now I see why Morgus put this one second.

The Torture Jar
For someone who studies caves, Ephraim doesn't seem to understand the need to wear a helmet while exploring a cave. Not bad, although the creatures in the cave should have been pale and eyeless to up the creepy factor and be true to what we know of cave life.

The Impossible
Uhhhh... what? Not good, not good at all.

Weird Facts
These factoids are supposed to be weird and unexplainable, but the second factoid is neither weird, nor unexplainable, it's just an unfair punishment. The third factoid might be weird, but not unexplainable, just an odd choice of ammunition.

Laugh, Clown, Laugh!
Is there a comic book story that doesn't have co-owners where one doesn't want to kill the other? (Note to self: Never co-own anything!)  ;) So what did Bozo have against those performers his presence killed (that would have been an interesting twist, if he was getting revenge on more than just his murderer). Page 5, panel 5, it's indicated that his workers all quit, so why did some come back to find the ringmaster's body? Otherwise okay story.

Death Lies Ahead
I think most people would check the race results of next week's paper, not the obituaries. *shrug* Go fig? Okay story.

Time for Terror
I liked this story better when it was called The Lady or the Tiger.

The Chevalier ad
"Look thinner and feel younger"
That has me imagining a commercial with a teenager wearing one and saying to the camera, "I feel like I'm 10 again!"

Well this was the better of the two issues. Interesting to see it seemed to go from straight horror to a humor-type horror.

Then again, how else do you transmit a history to a younger base? My kids run into the same thing with all hits radio. They think it was all wall to wall masterpieces and then get the Lp's from the area and find out they had 3 good songs with filler on an LP.

I grew up with a radio station that would play old time radio shows, then I would see episodes for sale in record stores and I'd buy an episode of a show I liked & be surprised that it wasn't as good as the episodes that aired on the radio station. Then the reality hit me.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 06:11:20 PM »

‘Super, I wish I had put that much thought into it. I just duped the order line up from the covers from FIFTIES TERROR.
Everybody told a guy I know not to go into partnerships, and they were right. He finally bought the other guy out, and had ONE great benefit. When something went wrong, he’d blame the long gone partner for it! Like the ‘two brothers’ in TUNE IN TOMORROW...
Man, I remember those radio LP’s. My favourite covers were from Murray Hill. I’d get AMOS AND ANDY for my mom. She had no defences against The Kingfish. When I was very young, I could get out of spankings by imitating him and getting her to laugh. She lived long enough to get into the computer age to be able to make a few clicks on a keyboard and get them for free.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2023, 01:51:15 AM »

WITCHES TALES # 13

ELIXIR OF EVIL disappoints me from the start, basically because Lee Elias is such a respected artist, and yet his stuff here seems so lame to me. I know QQ finds the images in horror comics unsettling, but I find the face of the monstrous, mutated Karam quite unimaginative.  I'm sure that Rudy Palais would've dreamed up something that'd make you lose sleep at night. It's nice that the Prof was naturally stronger, and that his bestial side won the day, but he must've been in pretty good shape for a guy in his fifties! I personally always keep a vial of evil in my pocket for that last-minute transformation.

THE TORTURE JAR is a frightening enough concept, but it's let down by the monsters. Szenk seems to be some kind of hairy humanoid, and the Bzark is just a five-footed fat rat. The big spider doesn't even get a name. But don't worry, Ephraim, I'll be staying out of the caves!

THE IMPOSSIBLE does itself a favour by not having any artwork, but it's not really making any sense, and my blood's not running cold.

Most of the WEIRD FACTS are genuinely weird, except for the story of Francis Sheldon, I'm sure I'd be a broken man after 69 years in the Bastille. But did Ala Ud Din win the fight with his bags of gold, or just leave his enemies richer?

LAUGH CLOWN LAUGH is a fairly predictable vengeance-from-beyond-the-grave type story. Although I carry some admiration for Manny Stallman on account of his surprising work on The Raven in THUNDER Agents, the art here  is only what's required to tell the story, but at least it doesn't fall short of that.

DEATH LIES AHEAD has quite a nice splash page but after that it becomes fairly average. So that newspaper from the future was just one of Satan's little tricks? Well, then, he's a very naughty boy!

I wonder at the technology of the time, and just what heaps of crock would await you if you sent off for the Jetex Javelin with its amazing jet engine, your instant water heater, or your four-in-one wonder watch? For me, in this issue, the ads are more exciting and imaginative than the stories. But it remains a wonderful time capsule for all that, and I'm grateful to the Mighty Morgus for posting these fantastic relics. Good on yer, pal!

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2023, 05:35:26 AM »

But did Ala Ud Din win the fight with his bags of gold, or just leave his enemies richer?

I was actually curious reading that, but Wikipedia doesn't list him using bags of gold in battle, just an incident where he fired gold from a catapult to win the approval of a crowd. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alauddin_Khalji

I wonder at the technology of the time, and just what heaps of crock would await you if you sent off for the Jetex Javelin with its amazing jet engine

Don't know about the other items, but apparently Jetex was a real motor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetex
The funniest thing about it is that Gerry Anderson used those motors for his Supermarination shows because they produced jet like trails to help the illusion that the various ships were 'real'.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2023, 06:06:29 AM »

Witches Tales #13

I liked this issue less than #24. The art wasn't nearly as good and the stories were humdrum. While the stories in #24 differ from run of-the-mill horror stories, these mostly tread the same paths as countless other GA weird mags.

I'm a fan of Lee Elias' Caniff-inspired Golden Age art. However horror wasn't his strongest suit. Romance, adventure, and of course the peerless Black Cat better fit his talents. Elixir of Evil isn't much to look at. The story isn't anything special either. Can Karam speak as the monster, or can he not? On page 5 he loses his voice...GROWL!!!...and becomes a mindless beast. After the old man whups him on page 11, Karam has both his voice and brains enough to communicate. Maybe we're to assume that he changed back to human form but his physical appearance remained beastly. Why? That isn't how the elixir worked the other times. By the way, when and why did the professor slip a flask of elixir into his pocket? Has he been taking a nip on the sly?

The guy in The Torture Jar shouldn't have too much difficulty convincing people terrible things happened to him, given that he has a jar full of tiny zombie people to show them. Page 15 is a head-scratcher. Do the underground critters maintain a mental link to Harley when he returns to the surface, or does he yell so loudly that Szenk hears him far underground? And where is Szenk in the last two panels? We're told he speaks strange, foul words but he must have done it from off-camera. Artist's copout? Mo Marcus' artwork looks like he's trying out for Charlton (a job he later landed).

As much as I like researching stuff, trying to verify Weird Facts never interested me. Has anyone heard of any of these stories before?

What bugs me about Laugh, Clown, Laugh! is that Medon murders the clown all by his lonesome, but a string of perfectly innocent performers die horrible deaths before Bozo gets his revenge on Medon. Bozo isn't presented as having been an evil person. Why would he murder his former associates? As for the art...it isn't so great, but every time I see a Manny Stallman story it brings back fond memories. I think I mentioned before that I was honored to call Manny a dear friend. He and his wife lived in the next town during the 80s-90s and we visited frequently. A really, really nice guy. I'd sit with him for hours at a local buffet restaurant as he drew Big Boy pages and shared stories of old times in comics. I admit that Manny wasn't the greatest artist ever to draw comics, but he loved the art form and taught many classes about graphic storytelling. I still miss him.

As an editor I'd never have bought Death Lies Ahead. It makes absolutely no sense! First, as has already been pointed out, if you want to make money off next week's newspaper you'd check the financial columns and the race results. How are you going to make money predicting when people will die? Let's say I'm a rich guy approached by these two weirdos. Let's even grant that I believe them when they claim they know when I'll kick off. Since they get the papers a week ahead, they'll tell me I'll die at such-and-such a time next week. What I'd pay for is advice on how to dodge my doom! Mab and Wulf could sell me phony advice, knowing full well I'll die on time.

But okay, I'll reluctantly swallow the notion that rich people will line up to pay M&W to tell them they'll die next week. Why the heck do the pair suddenly start killing the people themselves? Did they read in next week's paper that Daddy Warbucks was murdered and his house ransacked and thought, "Hey, that sounds like us!" Do they just give up fortune telling to pursue murder and robbery? After a while, you'd think the police would notice that dozens of wealthy people are being murdered and their money stolen. It'd even make the front page of the newspaper. Maybe M&W don't bother to read the front page. The story's entire concept is stupid. The artwork isn't much better.

We've encountered the Jet Instant Hot Water Heater before. A live wire runs house current into a metal heater contraption clamped to your cold water faucet. What could possibly go wrong?
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2023, 03:47:56 AM »

Hey guys, maybe the local Chamber of Commerce put up a sign for Ala Ud Din for a return visit; Come back on your anniversary! We hope you bring your money with you?
There used to a be guy that checked up on RIPLEY'S BELEIVE IT OR NOT stuff. . About every couple of years, they'd print his face, and say how many he had proved and disproved. I never figured out why Harvey didn't publish a stand alone volume of the series. It ran in their four horror mags, it at least could have helped them recoup the losses from those four.  In the back of my mind, I pictured the author as this totally OCD dude smoking away on two packs a day, surrounded by paper and filing cabinets, He'd make R Crumb look like Perry Como. Probably clobbered by his wife one night when he turned to her and said; The barge Cleopatra floated on the Nile in was..."
No jury in the world would have convicted her. 
Yeah, that hot water thingy made me wince and jump out of my seat at the same time.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2023, 01:17:50 AM »

And off on a tangent as usual,  I have to voice my disappointment at the complete disregard shown to Procol Harum's third album A Salty Dog.

No it's not a greatest hits album as they only really had one hit, though Homburg is a good imitation of a great hit and Conquistador tries hard and means well.

A Salty Dog is a magnificent song with great atmosphere and beautifully evocative lyrics and the rest of the tracks keep it in good company. I particularly recommend The Devil Came from Kansas.  Check it out, people, it's never too late to hear good music.  :D
https://genius.com/Procol-harum-a-salty-dog-lyrics
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salty-Dog-40th-Anniversary/dp/B0026OIBHC

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2023, 03:10:03 AM »

Kingcat said,

I have to voice my disappointment at the complete disregard shown to Procol Harum's third album A Salty Dog.

Procul Harum tragic here.
as one whose musical education started in church with a mother who played the organ,
'A Whiter Shade' had a huge effect on me.
It is also mentioned in 'Fear and Lothing in Las Vegas as the song that Hunter and Oscar had on the radio as they drove into Las Vegas.
No, if you have an expactaiton of hearing another 'Whiter Shade' Procol Harum after that may disappoint.
But the band is excellent, high quality.
Then there is this,
Procol Harum - She Wandered Through The Garden Fence (2001)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMid4AV-6x4
and this one
Procol Harum Conquistador Live at RTBF TV 1973
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbF_G0XFTK4

Lyrics for all three by the great Keith Reid.
Enjoy!

ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2023, 04:24:33 AM »

They actually had a pretty nice live album here in Canada (Live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra) which made Conquistador a surprise hit here, due to our Canadian content laws. Radio stations have to play a certain amount of Canadian content and that worked.  I would not have wanted to mic or mix that. Great story behind the thing, which resulted in a delightful 'seat of the pants' feel for the whole thing.
Usually around on youtube for free.
Salty Dog, by the way, DID attain a certain niche. The cover is always a hot one for resale in those restaurants that put old LP covers on the walls. People love it.  You can't make that up.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2023, 06:19:58 AM »

'Crash, you're statement you would have rejected DEATH LIES AHEAD as an editor made me think. A good editor at Harvey could have made all the difference with their content. The times were changing. The new vital role of an editor would become a bigger part of the creative mix; Gaines had Feldstein, Warren had Goodwin. Stan had Marvel. Harvey was so used to its formula approach they never saw the need for one.
Goodwin at Warren came as close as you COULD to carrying on the EC horror line, complete hiring the same artists Gaines had.
You have to wonder what might have been.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2023, 05:21:18 PM »

Back to Procol Harum.
Just had to look it up, right???
That live album in Edmonton made it to number five in America, not just here in Canada. Conquistador the live single was top twenty.
(Their second biggest hit behind you-know-what)
They thought it was a ‘good idea’ to start the concert with it.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2023, 12:33:16 AM »

Thanks for all the Procul Harum info, guys, nice links Panther much appreciated. I listened to the live versions but it's the album cut that sends shivers down my spine. Nothing here to look at, but good listening!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mOj3kJKy-_U

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2023, 04:57:38 PM »

'Crash, you're statement you would have rejected DEATH LIES AHEAD as an editor made me think. A good editor at Harvey could have made all the difference with their content. The times were changing. The new vital role of an editor would become a bigger part of the creative mix; Gaines had Feldstein, Warren had Goodwin. Stan had Marvel. Harvey was so used to its formula approach they never saw the need for one.
Goodwin at Warren came as close as you COULD to carrying on the EC horror line, complete hiring the same artists Gaines had.
You have to wonder what might have been.

Yes. I agree.  The publishers that had the best editors had a much more entertaining level of product than those that underestimated the intelligence, taste, and discrimination abilities of their potential readership groups.  And the best editors also generally hired a higher quality of writers, overall.  Fox, Charlton, and, it seems, Harvey, at times, could have done better in that regard.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.