in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #297 Female Artists - Mills, Renee & Hopper

Pages: 1 [2] 3

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #297 Female Artists - Mills, Renee & Hopper  (Read 1644 times)

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #297 Female Artists - Mills, Renee & Hopper
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2023, 10:56:37 AM »

Panther and others re Ladies of the Canyon - I should have gone straight to the source. There are articles on Joni Mitchell's site that discuss the three women in the song - Trina Robbins, Estrella Berosini and Annie Burden. (Go to the link and scroll down for links to thoughts by the three women.

https://jonimitchell.com/music/song.cfm?id=139

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2023, 07:54:58 PM »

There are articles on Joni Mitchell's site

Thanks for this link, QQ. The posts about Trina might interest even members who aren't Joni fans. They trace Trina's career and evolution as an artist. They also demonstrate the interwoven lives of 60s-70s music stars. Reading it I realized that I'd always entertained the fantasy of the lone, impoverished musician struggling his/her way through the coffee house circuit until a record executive "discovered" them. Sure, there are lots of stories like that, but it seems more common for the musician to know someone who knows someone who plays with someone who's friends with someone who knows a record exec. That's the way Hollywood works, too: networking and knowing someone on the inside. Is this a Bad Thing or a Good Thing? I dunno. Just a Thing.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2023, 10:01:09 PM »

There are articles on Joni Mitchell's site

Thanks for this link, QQ. The posts about Trina might interest even members who aren't Joni fans. They trace Trina's career and evolution as an artist. They also demonstrate the interwoven lives of 60s-70s music stars. Reading it I realized that I'd always entertained the fantasy of the lone, impoverished musician struggling his/her way through the coffee house circuit until a record executive "discovered" them. Sure, there are lots of stories like that, but it seems more common for the musician to know someone who knows someone who plays with someone who's friends with someone who knows a record exec. That's the way Hollywood works, too: networking and knowing someone on the inside. Is this a Bad Thing or a Good Thing? I dunno. Just a Thing.

That seems to be true in EVERY field of endevour on Earth that involves more than 2 people.  In basically 5 or 6 different career paths, both private sector and governmental, I NEVER got a position, job, or place on a project, advertised publicly or not, based on my own application, qualifications, and merit, WITHOUT knowing someone on the inside, who had some influence on the hiring process.  That even includes a few days labour job of tossing watermelons onto a truck, and trying out for several jobs for which the real tryouts for anyone who could actually be hired, were completed BEFORE the legal public announcement of the interviews and testing for the position was made.  it's all about who you know even if you are the best in The World at what you do.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2023, 11:00:20 PM »

That even includes a few days labour job of tossing watermelons onto a truck

Been there, Done that!

it's all about who you know even if you are the best in The World at what you do.

That's really what a University qualification is really all about. It announces what network you are in, even if they don't know you personally. It's a ticket.

In Comics in the Golden Age, if you were part of a studio or/and a publshing company, you had your  network.

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2023, 08:29:25 PM »

That even includes a few days labour job of tossing watermelons onto a truck

Been there, Done that!

it's all about who you know even if you are the best in The World at what you do.

That's really what a University qualification is really all about. It announces what network you are in, even if they don't know you personally. It's a ticket.

In Comics in the Golden Age, if you were part of a studio or/and a publishing company, you had your  network.

Quite true.  But neither a university degree alone, nor having worked for an animation or comic book studio, alone, has brought me, and everyone I've known, farther than just into the widest group of generally qualified position candidates.  It has never gotten me a job.  That has ALWAYS depended upon referrals and strong recommendations from well-respected professors and internship project directors and managers, professional project directors, and art studio department directors.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 08:40:42 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2023, 01:24:39 AM »

Hi QQ, sorry for being a late entry but I've had a house guest all this week and little time to look at CB+.  Most of what I would have written has already been said quite eloquently but I'll comment on my own experience.

I'd discovered Hopper, Renee and Mills, and read the Heroines Showcase, some time ago, but it was good to be reminded of their accomplishments. (And like crash, I got sidetracked into Cat Yronwode's essay on Leiko Wu - I was a big MOKF fan and I expect I enjoyed it a bit more than crash did!) I always liked Planet Comics for the art, which was usually a cut above, however silly some of the stories were, though I do wonder how Renee and Hopper felt about having to include the obligatory long legged lovelies for the adolescent fans. I like The Lost World, but Hunt Bowman never looked quite right.  Renee seemed to be more convincing on Werewolf Hunter and Senorita Rio, where men mostly kept their clothes on.

Tarpe Mills was an entirely different animal, in Miss Fury she totally embraced the ongoing plot lines and recurring characters necessary for a newspapers strip. They've been integrated into the comic quite successfully too. I particularly admire her General Bruno who manages, in spite of the bald head, monocle and cigarette holder, to be more than the average stereotype Nazi. And I'm pretty fond of Fingers Martin, too, who provides some downbeat humour to the proceedings. The Lord willing, someone will come across Miss Fury #1 someday and complete our collection! I did come across a rather sweet website dedicated to her memory at: https://www.tarpemills.com/about-june-mills

I had two favourite features in Planet Comics. One was Mars, where the God of War appears in spectral form and  inhabits the bodies of humans to incite violence and chaos, usually handled very ably by Joe Doolin, who also did a fair number of covers. The other was Norge Benson, not for the childish stories but for the beautiful art of Al Walker, who for a long time also handled another young and unlikely Fiction House hero, Greasemonkey Griffin, for Wings. Unforgettable. And much as I like Murphy Anderson, I always preferred the swashbuckling version of Star Pirate, with the sword and the Cyclops sidekick.

Anyway, QQ, thanks for the choices, all enjoyable and informative, brought back some good memories.
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2023, 08:32:19 AM »

Hi QQ, sorry for being a late entry but I've had a house guest all this week and little time to look at CB+.  Most of what I would have written has already been said quite eloquently but I'll comment on my own experience.

I'd discovered Hopper, Renee and Mills, and read the Heroines Showcase, some time ago, but it was good to be reminded of their accomplishments. (And like crash, I got sidetracked into Cat Yronwode's essay on Leiko Wu - I was a big MOKF fan and I expect I enjoyed it a bit more than crash did!) I always liked Planet Comics for the art, which was usually a cut above, however silly some of the stories were, though I do wonder how Renee and Hopper felt about having to include the obligatory long legged lovelies for the adolescent fans. I like The Lost World, but Hunt Bowman never looked quite right.  Renee seemed to be more convincing on Werewolf Hunter and Senorita Rio, where men mostly kept their clothes on.

Tarpe Mills was an entirely different animal, in Miss Fury she totally embraced the ongoing plot lines and recurring characters necessary for a newspapers strip. They've been integrated into the comic quite successfully too. I particularly admire her General Bruno who manages, in spite of the bald head, monocle and cigarette holder, to be more than the average stereotype Nazi. And I'm pretty fond of Fingers Martin, too, who provides some downbeat humour to the proceedings. The Lord willing, someone will come across Miss Fury #1 someday and complete our collection! I did come across a rather sweet website dedicated to her memory at: https://www.tarpemills.com/about-june-mills

Anyway, QQ, thanks for the choices, all enjoyable and informative, brought back some good memories.
All the best
K1ngcat

No need to apologise, K1ngcat. Sounds like you had a fun week. Thanks for that link about Tarpe Mills, and interesting to see Trina Robbins listed as a friend at the bottom. It certainly would be great if we could acquire the first copy of Miss Fury for the site. Interesting to see that Tarpe Mills and my Mum have something in common, but not in a good way -- Chronic Obstructive Pulminary Disease. My Mum is on oxygen in a nursing home, but still in good spirits and knitting up a storm at 89. She's never smoked.

I was going to choose a Senorita Rio one, but I saw you did one of her compilations last year, before I joined the group. However, my quick look indicates that Lily Renee may not have taken over the art in those until about 1946/7, but I'll have to take a closer look.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2023, 12:51:51 AM »

No need to apologise, K1ngcat. Sounds like you had a fun week. Thanks for that link about Tarpe Mills, and interesting to see Trina Robbins listed as a friend at the bottom. It certainly would be great if we could acquire the first copy of Miss Fury for the site. Interesting to see that Tarpe Mills and my Mum have something in common, but not in a good way -- Chronic Obstructive Pulminary Disease. My Mum is on oxygen in a nursing home, but still in good spirits and knitting up a storm at 89. She's never smoked.

I was going to choose a Senorita Rio one, but I saw you did one of her compilations last year, before I joined the group. However, my quick look indicates that Lily Renee may not have taken over the art in those until about 1946/7, but I'll have to take a closer look.

Cheers

QQ

Sorry to hear about your Mother, QQ, but glad to know she's in good spirits and being well cared for. I spent thirty years working in what we now call social care and it was my pleasure and privilege help hundreds of chronically sick and disabled people, many of whom became dear friends, who I miss to this day.

The advice many of them gave me was to never get old, but like a fool, I didn't listen!  :D

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2023, 05:01:03 AM »

Cheers

QQ

Sorry to hear about your Mother, QQ, but glad to know she's in good spirits and being well cared for. I spent thirty years working in what we now call social care and it was my pleasure and privilege help hundreds of chronically sick and disabled people, many of whom became dear friends, who I miss to this day.

The advice many of them gave me was to never get old, but like a fool, I didn't listen! :D

All the best
K1ngcat

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2023, 09:37:56 AM »

Hi all

I just have a question for all of you clever cookies. I was interested that Miss Fury was set in Brazil, as it added some different elements and characters than the typical WWII comic set in Europe. Lily Renee also drew the Brazilian heroine Senorita Rio round about 1946/7. I didn't choose one of those comics because I see you did a Senorita Rio compilation last year, though I'm not sure if that contained some of Renee's work. Anyway, I was wondering if it's just a coincidence that Mills and Renee both drew characters with Brazilian connections, or if there was something happening at the time that made Brazil a particularly interesting or exotic locale. I know Carmen Miranda was probably making her movies round about that time, but was there anything else?

Over to you  :D

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2023, 12:49:38 PM »

The first naval battle of World War II was fought in South America. Battle of the River Platte. Uruguay. 3 royal navy ships against a German cruiser.  The 3 allied ships took big hits, but stayed afloat. The German ship got it’s fuel supply screwed over and had to dock in Uruguay to get fixed. Uruguay was neutral at the time so the Germans had to leave town in 3 days. The German captain scuttled the boat and killed himself.
It had turned out okay, but just barely.
This made the Americans sweat bullets that a 5th column would try and take over things in the south. Maybe damage the Panama canal. Put in Nazi friendly governments. Big worry.
And the Axis were starting to get momentum in the south.  Of all the South American countries, only Mexico and Brazil sent troops overseas to fight. And after the war, more than a few of the Third Reich DID make it to places like Argentina, Uruguay, and (yes) Brazil.
Nelson Rockefeller sent Orson Welles to South America to make a movie for RKO and the government; IT’S ALL TRUE. Did the same with Walt Disney and SALUDOS AMIGOS. Neither pic did THAT well, (IT’S ALL TRUE wasn’t even finished.) But probably went a long way to getting that South American vibe going that you see in 40’s movies time to time.
Found this all out one day by running my mouth. There is a town here in Ontario named Ajax. My grand dad and I were driving through and I said something like; ’The only town named after a bathroom cleanser.”
That was it. I didn’t have to talk for the next half hour. He ran through the River Platte battle and told me Ajax was named after one of the three ships. Streets in the town are named after the soldiers who fought. The main drag is Harwood, named after the commander of the three ships.
By the way, one of the three ships was Achilles, a New Zealand ship. First time the New Zealand flag was flown in battle.

ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2023, 07:40:34 AM »

The first naval battle of World War II was fought in South America. Battle of the River Platte. Uruguay. 3 royal navy ships against a German cruiser.  The 3 allied ships took big hits, but stayed afloat. The German ship got it’s fuel supply screwed over and had to dock in Uruguay to get fixed. Uruguay was neutral at the time so the Germans had to leave town in 3 days. The German captain scuttled the boat and killed himself.
It had turned out okay, but just barely.
This made the Americans sweat bullets that a 5th column would try and take over things in the south. Maybe damage the Panama canal. Put in Nazi friendly governments. Big worry.
And the Axis were starting to get momentum in the south.  Of all the South American countries, only Mexico and Brazil sent troops overseas to fight. And after the war, more than a few of the Third Reich DID make it to places like Argentina, Uruguay, and (yes) Brazil.
Nelson Rockefeller sent Orson Welles to South America to make a movie for RKO and the government; IT’S ALL TRUE. Did the same with Walt Disney and SALUDOS AMIGOS. Neither pic did THAT well, (IT’S ALL TRUE wasn’t even finished.) But probably went a long way to getting that South American vibe going that you see in 40’s movies time to time.
Found this all out one day by running my mouth. There is a town here in Ontario named Ajax. My grand dad and I were driving through and I said something like; ’The only town named after a bathroom cleanser.”
That was it. I didn’t have to talk for the next half hour. He ran through the River Platte battle and told me Ajax was named after one of the three ships. Streets in the town are named after the soldiers who fought. The main drag is Harwood, named after the commander of the three ships.
By the way, one of the three ships was Achilles, a New Zealand ship. First time the New Zealand flag was flown in battle.

Thanks for that, Morgus. I am sorry to say that I knew none of that. But I mentioned it to my husband and he said, 'Oh yeah, there was a movie about it'. News to me. I have a compilation of early Superman comics called 'Superman: The War Years 1938-1945'. It has a 1938 comic in which Clark and Lois go to a fictitious South American country, and Superman ends up stopping a civil war by forcing the opposing leaders to make peace. Even though WWII hadn't started at that point, I guess there were already concerns about the 'what ifs'. Superman spent a lot of the war fighting fifth columnists.

It makes sense now that Senorita Rio, Miss Fury and Era would be fighting the bad guys in South America.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2023, 04:58:28 PM »

We’ll also hedge our bets.

Maybe Carmen Miranda and FLYING DOWN TO RIO did have something to do with it as well.

The airline industry was really trying to get folks in the air as the middle class expanded, but when war started, they could not sell flights to Europe anymore. The Hawaiian islands became a risk with Pearl Harbour.

So WHERE are you going to sell tickets to? Well, before Vegas, you had Havana. Florida was great for the folks who went down every year for winter vacation. And if you wanted something more exotic, you’d get Mexico, Brazil, and 'the usual suspects’.

It’s been a long time since I checked out a vintage Superman, but I’ll bet Hawaii went through the same thing when it became a state. Interest grew, and they’d stage some episodes there....like the years in the 60’s when all you needed to sell a DC comic book was a gorilla on the cover.

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2023, 10:51:18 PM »

Morgus, you are right that the Nazi presence in Argentina and Brazil would have been an influence in the plots of Miss Fury.
The biggest factor in imprinting Brazil on the consciousness of the average westerner has been music.
And the late 40's and 50s was the time the revolution of Samba and BossaNova were hitting the west.
The music preceded and was the influence for, the films and radio shows and, yes, Comics.
"Latin" music has come out of South America in waves, and continues to do so.
Bossa Nova
https://library.brown.edu/create/fivecenturiesofchange/chapters/chapter-6/bossa-nov/

An Overview of Brazilian Music
https://www.liveabout.com/about-music-in-brazil-2141925

In the 50s, nearly every major mainstream US music artist had at least one Brazilian influenced song.
Brazil was the flavor of the day.

Personally I love the flavors of Brazillian and South American Music. Can';t get enough ot it.
Cheers!     

« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 05:31:30 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2023, 04:22:33 AM »

Miss Fury #3

It took a while to get round to reading Miss Fury, but I'm hooked. I'll be reading the rest of the issues in our collection.

This is one of the better Golden Age newspaper adventure comics I've read. Yes, there are broad characters and unlikely situations. However Tarpe Mills has put some effort into giving her players individual personalities. She's introduced subplots like the jealous Gestapo officer to make things interesting. And the story barrels along at top speed. It's a bit on the bloodthirsty side, though other wartime strips outdid it. Though her dialogue is good, she's no better than other strip writers at regional accents. "Blinking blighters" indeed. Since originally the strip only ran on Sundays it was an easier task to adapt it to comic book form without too much repetition.

Mills' art is quite good. Some of her men remind me of Joe Shuster--of all people!--but that's probably coincidence. Of the three women we've looked at, I'd rate her as the top artist.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 11:17:09 PM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2023, 01:35:44 AM »

Good thing I checked the reading group roster I created, looks like I am up next on Monday!
My final comments on this fortnights books will be up in the next couple of days.

cheers!

ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2023, 02:44:11 AM »

We’ll also hedge our bets.

Maybe Carmen Miranda and FLYING DOWN TO RIO did have something to do with it as well.

The airline industry was really trying to get folks in the air as the middle class expanded, but when war started, they could not sell flights to Europe anymore. The Hawaiian islands became a risk with Pearl Harbour.

So WHERE are you going to sell tickets to? Well, before Vegas, you had Havana. Florida was great for the folks who went down every year for winter vacation. And if you wanted something more exotic, you’d get Mexico, Brazil, and 'the usual suspects’.

It’s been a long time since I checked out a vintage Superman, but I’ll bet Hawaii went through the same thing when it became a state. Interest grew, and they’d stage some episodes there....like the years in the 60’s when all you needed to sell a DC comic book was a gorilla on the cover.

Morgus, I'm sure Carmen and her fruity hat were a great advertisement  :D I also wondered how much of a drawcard the MardiGras/Carnival in Rio was. I had a quick look and it apparently dates back to the 1600s, but I know it's become a huge event in the last few decades. Maybe people were drawn to Brazil because of the (relatively) safe and exotic location.

I had to laugh at the idea that DC sold more comics if there was a gorilla on the cover. I have Vol 1 of the Silver Age Flash and it had some of the Gorilla Grodd stories. It brought the ridiculous to greater heights. Wouldn't have been a drawcard for me - LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Grodd

Cheers

QQ
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 03:05:27 AM by Quirky Quokka »
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2023, 02:54:23 AM »

Morgus, you are right that the Nazi presence in Argentina and Brazil would have been an influence in the plots of Miss Fury.
The biggest factor in imprinting Brazil on the consciousness of the average westerner has been music.
And the late 40's and 50s was the time the revolution of Samba and BossaNova were hitting the west.
The music preceded and was the influence for, the films and radio shows and, yes, Comics.
"Latin" music has come out of South America in waves, and continues to do so.
Bossa Nova
https://library.brown.edu/create/fivecenturiesofchange/chapters/chapter-6/bossa-nov/

An Overview of Brazilian Music
https://comicbookplus.com/forum/?action=post;topic=23468.25;last_msg=90419

In the 50s, nearly every major mainstream US music artist had at least one Brazilian influenced song.
Brazil was the flavor of the day.

Personally I love the flavors of Brazillian and South American Music. Can';t get enough ot it.
Cheers!     

Hi Panther

Not sure if it's just me, but when I click on that second link, it just takes me to the forum and tells me there have been other replies while I've been posting. So I'm not sure it's the right link?

But yes, South American music would have been a big influence. I guess the big swing bands were popular in the 40s, so it would have been easy for South American sounds to find a home, plus the excitement of Latin dancing. I took some lessons on a Yahama organ in the 1970s, and it had some preset beats. Bossanova was my favourite. Almost anything can sound better with a bossanova beat.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2023, 02:57:26 AM »

Miss Fury #3

It took a while to get round to reading Miss Fury, but I'm hooked. I'll be reading the rest of the issues in our collection.

This is one of the better Golden Age newspaper adventure comics I've read. Yes, there are broad characters and unlikely situations. However Tarpe Mills has put some effort into giving her players individual personalities. She's introduced subplots like the jealous Gestapo officer to make things interesting. And the story barrels along at top speed. It's a bit on the bloodthirsty side, though other wartime strips outdid it. Though her dialogue is good, she's no better than other strip writers at regional accents. "Blinking blighters" indeed. Since originally the strip only ran on Sundays it was an easier task to adapt it to comic book form without too much repetition.

Mills' art is quite good. Some of her men remind me of Joe Shuster--of all people!--but that's probably coincidence. Of the three women we've looked at, I'd rate her as the top artist.

Hi Crashryan - I liked that one best too. It was different from your typical war comic, with some interesting themes and characters. It's a shame CB+ doesn't have the first issue. Would be great to read the back story first hand. I'd like to read the others too.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2023, 05:34:13 AM »

Not sure if it's just me, but when I click on that second link, it just takes me to the forum and tells me there have been other replies while I've been posting. So I'm not sure it's the right link? 

Nope! Defifnitely not the right link.
I have corrected the post and here it is again.

cheers!

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2023, 06:55:48 AM »

I had to laugh at the idea that DC sold more comics if there was a gorilla on the cover.

Actually true, although it was actually a gorilla that acts human that seemed to have grabbed readers.

The editor of Strange Adventures was looking at sales figures and he noticed issue 8 had a spike and this was the cover https://www.comics.org/issue/8889/cover/4/

The editor tried another gorilla cover and there was another sales spike. DC had to actually put a limit of one gorilla cover a month because they were worried about glutting the market.

Years ago I read an article on cover items that sold books and didn't sell books, but the only thing I remember is that skeletons on a cover didn't sell, unless it was a Conan comic. (Some might question that considering horror comics of the 1950s, but the writer was talking about then current comics which was probably '80s or '90s.)
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2023, 07:26:18 AM »

I had to laugh at the idea that DC sold more comics if there was a gorilla on the cover.

Actually true, although it was actually a gorilla that acts human that seemed to have grabbed readers.

The editor of Strange Adventures was looking at sales figures and he noticed issue 8 had a spike and this was the cover https://www.comics.org/issue/8889/cover/4/

The editor tried another gorilla cover and there was another sales spike. DC had to actually put a limit of one gorilla cover a month because they were worried about glutting the market.

Years ago I read an article on cover items that sold books and didn't sell books, but the only thing I remember is that skeletons on a cover didn't sell, unless it was a Conan comic. (Some might question that considering horror comics of the 1950s, but the writer was talking about then current comics which was probably '80s or '90s.)

Thanks for the extra info, SuperScrounge. That sounds like a better sci-fi story that Grodd. Maybe it fit within that era of concern about mad scientist's experiments (like Josef Mengele) and pre-dates books/movies like 'Planet of the Apes'. Or maybe it tapped into some people's interest in evolution (I noted that word was used on the cover). It probably wouldn't have grabbed me at that age. As a kid, I would have been more interested in Magilla Gorilla  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lK2j76oC8Y

I must get around to reading 'Planet of the Apes' one day. I probably didn't appreciate the social allegory at the time.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2023, 07:27:51 AM »

Nope! Defifnitely not the right link.
I have corrected the post and here it is again.

cheers!

Thanks Panther. Lots of artists to check out there. I try to listen to new-to-me music from time to time, so will add some of these to the list. Spotify is great for sampling different genres.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2023, 09:10:41 AM »

Hi all - Thanks for all of your contributions to this fortnight's selections. Here are my thoughts.

Heroines Showcase #17

I thought this was an interesting find, and it's a shame it's the only issue available. Unlike the rest of you, I didn't know who Trina Robbins was. (I repent in dust and ashes.) I'll have to look up more of her work. I enjoyed our little detour through Laurel Canyon with Trina and Joni Mitchell, and I enjoyed reading about women artists I knew very little about. The Supergirl article was a good summary of her early years too, though not a lot of analysis. I've now started reading some of the early Supergirl comics. I also liked some of the fan art. Would you believe I only saw the movie of Barbarella for the first time last year? It was on one of the streaming channels. Um .. okay ... interesting  :D And it was good to see some fan art of Lynda Carter outside of her Wonder Woman role. Just a slight tangent, but did you see the movie 'Wonder Woman 1984'? [spoiler alert] I loved Lynda Carter's cameo after the credits. An unexpected bonus, as I had no idea it was going to happen until it did. Here's the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWb4RCMS4J8

Planet Comics #37

'The Lost World' - I thought the art by Lily Renee was good, though the script was a bit stodgy. It was good that the Voltas had a different way of speaking, but it got annoying after a while. The spongy aliens were unintentionally hilarious. Lyssa didn't have a lot to do. I haven't read any more in this series, so I'm not sure if that's typical.

Trina Robbins said that Lily Renee's work on Senorita Rio was her best. I didn't pick that one because I saw you did a Senorita compilation last year. Though I think Renee mainly worked on it in 1946/7. I had a quick look for the cover that Trina Robbins mentioned, and did find some art by Renee towards the end of 1946 and beginning of 1947. But I didn't have time to thoroughly look for the cover she mentioned. Though as she didn't say what was on it except that it was signed, I'm not sure I'd know it anyway. Could be a nice problem-solver for anyone who's interested. I must check out Senorita Rio for myself.

'Mysta of the Moon' - What a gal, defeating a whole army by herself, while all the time looking like an 'intergalactic cocktail waitress' (Thanks, Morgus!) It was interesting that it involved thought projection, like the 'Lost World' story. Interesting idea, but the script wasn't great. I did like the art.

'Gale Allen' - It was good to see a little light-heartedness in there. But my main question was, 'What has Gale done with her Girl Squadron'? Again, I didn't have time to research it, but I thought she usually travelled in  pack. Does anyone know where she parked her Girl Squadron or had she gone solo by this time?

Miss Fury #3

Like most of you, I enjoyed this one the most. I thought it was an interesting premise and a bit different to the typical war comics in terms of location and characters. The secondary characters were given a bit of depth, especially Era, Albino Jo, and the one-armed General Gruen. In fact, Era was probably more of a kick-butt heroine than Miss Fury at times. I think it benefits from the fact that Tarpe Mills created the series and also wrote the script, so she could really bring her whole concept to life. I liked this enough that I want to read the rest of the series. It's a shame we don't have Issue #1.

Also an interesting feature with the two pages of cut-out paper dolls and clothes for Era and Marla. But if these were back-to-back in the comic book, you'd have to pick one over the other to cut out. I was thinking that the age group of girls who would like to do the cut-outs was probably younger than the readership, but maybe older teens let their younger sisters use those pages. Would you have let your younger sister cut things out of your comic book?

Thanks again for your comments everyone. Looking forward to Panther's new and exciting selections next.

Cheers

QQ

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2023, 07:12:38 AM »

Heroines Showcase #17

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=64907

Trina didn't seem to have much trouble with visual stereotypes in comics, judging by that cover and this,
Created by Forrest J Ackerman and Trina Robbins and making her debut in Vampirella #1 in 1969, the Daughter of Drakulon has remained a comic book mainstay ever since

Memory - which may be faulty - tells me she once went to a comics con in cosplay as Red Sonja.
However; -
Nice Dick G illo of ISIS - who had a TV show for a while I think.
Pulling out things from the piece on Lilly Renee.
[Her weak point, which she also shares with Hopper and countless female artists, (including yours truly) was her ability to draw men.]
If that's so, it's fascinating and deserving of more scrutiny.
["... whole most outstanding distinction is that they speak backwards."]
The Lost World, George Lucas read?
Re Miss Fury - I thought when I first read some compilations that it was very different from most 'costumed hero' comics in that the costume was a curse, which she did not always put on willingly. Also in many of the stories, the times she actually appears in costume are fleeting, at best.
Nobody at Dynamite seems to have grasped that.
Also, the cast of characters are a long way from one-dimensional.
Darkstar has been featured many times since this was written.
Particularly in MARVEL's QUASAR comic.
The Supergirl article is the kind of thing that annoys me. It deals with the narrative presented by the stories and doesn't do much about looking behind the scenes at the creators and their motivation and analyzing the depiction of a teenage female superhero in a comic in the 50's. 
The illustration on page #16 is Lynda Carter.
The article on Leiko WU is analytical and makes me realize that I missed a lot of the sub-text when I read the material, but it goes on too long.
Sun Girl is an interesting choice for a Golden Age Heroine, but there is not much info here other than the narrative.
Page 28 - Barbarella
Trina's article is the stand-out here. The rest of the articles are -although well-written- fan-boy homages to their favorite ladies on the page.     
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.