in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #297 Female Artists - Mills, Renee & Hopper

Pages: 1 2 [3]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #297 Female Artists - Mills, Renee & Hopper  (Read 1646 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #297 Female Artists - Mills, Renee & Hopper
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2023, 07:38:19 AM »

Miss Fury #3

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=71478

I like Tarpe Mills' pacing and mood-creating.
This book has been edited well. I hope she edited it herself.
On the first page she doesn't waste time, its action all the way and we are right in the story. 
I'm not a fan of a lot of words in a comic story, but even here Tarpe Mills keeps the narrative and suspense going with the words.
There is obviously a big jump from panel #1 page 2 and Panel 1 page #3 [of the comic] but it works.
I think Tarpe Mills was acutely aware that a strip in Sunday Newspapers - and probably in Colour - would have a female audience [Women and Young girls] and so she pitched the character and the stories to maximize that.
Dynamite. on the other hand sees the character from a male perspective, and particularly of young men. They should give the property to female creators.
Enjoyed reading this as much as I did the first time.
cheers!           
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2023, 08:12:37 AM »

Planet Comics #37

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=18821

The Lost World
The art is very different from the Miss Fury comic - was that early work?
Nothing special about the story tho. A bit of a 'Planet of the Apes' vibe about it tho.

Mysta of the Moon
"Mysta whose mind was schooled to Peace and Culture and Freedom' panel against an Illustration of Mysta apparently moving down a platoon of men with some kind of Machine-Gun. Yeah, Right!   
And the Villian is a short-sighted ugly hunchback - Why do they always look like me? Just kidding!
The Uniform looks better on Mysta than it does on the men.

Red Comet
Sub- Alex Raymond/Flash Gordon. But the art is good.

Space Rangers
What was it about the title, 'Space Rangers'?
More than one publisher had a group of this name
Gale Allen - by Fran Hopper
Well, she is the pilot, but she still needed to be rescued.
A lot of blacks in Fran Hopper's art, and she can certainly draw women.

Star Pirate
Nice to see some of Murphy Anderson's early art. 

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2023, 06:56:36 PM »

Planet Comics #37
Wartime Fiction House books usually had a mix of art quality, and writing, typical of those early days in the comic book industry.  And this is no different to me, from most of the Planet Comics from that time, that I've read.

The Lost World
Two different alien races of beings from two different planets trying to conquer and dominate a 3rd planet, was a well-used plot back in the early 1940s.  Renee's art is decent for its time, although her figures seem to be too elongated.  I like the extreme difference in the physical make-up of these two rival sentient alien species.  Usually, when they are rivals, they are all humanlike in body form.  In this story, one is humanlike, while the other, is not even vertebrate, while its individual members are all tied together in a single, social unit mind (like an ant or bee colony).  That is an interesting concept, that they could operate with higher intelligence than just acting roboticly, solely from instinct.  After working 20+ years in North  and northeast African and Middle Eastern desert countries. I never enjoyed reading comic book stories set in desertified planets, with virtually no plantlife.  How do the higher-level animals and sentient beings that live there survive?  What do they eat, when, seemingly, there is no plantlife basis to support a food chain????

The Voltas are certainly ugly enough.  And it is typical to see the remains of the World readers knew, after it had been destroyed in an apocalyptical catastrophic World War III.  Overall it seems that this episode of a seemingly interesting on-going story, is too short to my taste.  But, this 10-page episode is longer than many episodic serialised long stories from that period (many of which were 8, or 6 pages, and those in early flagship monthly newspaper strip anthologies were only 2 to 4 pages.  I just get the feeling that more different things could have happened in 10 pages.

Mysta of The Moon
Mysta has an amazingly powerful telescope that can view close-up on distant planets in far-away solar systems (and, perhaps even other galaxies).  Growing biological robots from plantlife, that can act at their controller's bidding, with many humanlike abilities, is an interesting idea.  The hunchbacked, old Human villain is an interesting character.  I liked the concept that despite the plantmens' mobility, like a garden, they, as a group. can become infested, and taken over by weeds.

Red Comet
At least the writer of this story realised that the planet, Uranus, due to its extreme distance from our Sun, should have a very cold ambient surface temperature.  But, it would be much, much too cold for Humans to survive there, without some unusual heat source that is not normal in planets of its size and age (e.g. after its inner core has cooled down from the heat which was produced by the event which triggered its formation (birth).  This is a problem of so many stories with settings on planets very distant from any star.  Such stories need to include some explanation of the heat source that allows life to exist there.  And I could picture Lura outside in the extreme cold with her legs still unovered, and not freezing to death almost instantly (which would be the case on the real Uranus, in tempratures of hundreds of degrees below the freezing point of water.  A Human's blood would freeze quickly.  But the person would die well before that.  The "crystal" (e.g. "glass" ball Lura is inside, would freeze and shatter in the real bitter cold, but she would have died long before that, with the cold being conducted through the glass instantly, in any case.  And, of course, the bird
couldn't have existed in Uranus' real 1945 conditions.  And, of course, The Red Comet and Zorix wearing shorts is alo ridiculous.  Would they wear shorts on a tourist rip to Antarctica during the southern winter?

I don't like the use of magic in stories.  Zorix uses magic to imprison Lura and Red Comet inside the tiny glass sphere, and Red Comet uses his magical "super power of fantastic growth, to escape (e.g. burst the spherical container.  Then, he uses his super strength to throw Zorix's tiny spherical prison as far as The Land of The Ice Men (past Naru's border with them).  This story has all the features that are the main reasons why I never liked superhero fantasies.  But, the artwork is certainly good.

Space Rangers
Talk about The Nazi movement "going underground" after Germany's defeat at the end of WWII, this is very symbolic!  Germans who still wanted to take over The World, living well below The Planet's surface, and evolving through natural selection, into a species of "Flame People), whose bodies run so hot that flames emanate from their skin!  And they are still evil, and because The Earth's surface is much too cold for their bodies, they decide to jolt The Earth off its orbit, and send it moving slowly towards The Sun!  But how "slow" is that, really, when, seemingly, instantly, The World becomes much hotter, and plant life and animals die, instantly, in front of the bewildered Human onlookers (who are only uncomfortably hot.  Rather silly, and poorly thought out.  The Space Rangers "invent "liquid ice", and spray it onto the Flame People's bodies to kill them, and save The World!  And one of their scientists magically sent The Earth back to its proper distance from The Sun, and proper orbit configuration!  If I'm going to read "Fairy Tales", I'd rather see the stories drawn in a more cartoony style.

Gale Allen
Another excellently-drawn Fran Hopper story.  More magic, with humans aging very quickly, because their planetoid is much too close to its sun.  But, if THAT were really true, the planetoid would be uninhabitable, and aging would be irrelevant.  Real Satyrs don't help the story.  The Earthmen escape, because their weapons expert configures the paralyzing ray gun to backfire, disabling the enemy's Satyr guard, who was forcing the captured Earthmen to the sacrifice area.  They simply go back to their spaceship.  Not a lot happened in this short, 6-page story.

Star Pirate
A robot army working for an evil Human who buys Human slaves could be interesting.  After their shipment to his headquarters, he shoots them with a Paralyzer ray gun, and then dips them in tallow, to preserve them.  He experiments with them into making animal/human hybrids, for jhis own purposes, with the goal to dominate The Earth.  Star knocks the villain unconscious, and shoots the tallowed Humans with a reversed (unparalyzing) ray, freeing them. Then they load the spaceship with the freed slaves and set off an explosion, blowing up the villain's asteroid.

Overall Assessment
This book contains some interesting, albeit not to well thought out stories, and some good and some subpar artwork.  It was worth a dime in 1945.  But, I wouldn't have bought it in 1949-55 even from the 5¢ bargain shelves, as I could have read books like this for free in my own house from my older cousins' stash.  Even then, I probably would have only skimmed through the pages and decided not to actually read it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 11:12:59 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2023, 01:21:31 AM »

Miss Fury 3
Now, this is much more to my taste - a long, serialised, semi-realistic WWII spy story, with good artwork, and decent episodic plotting, and with realistic colouring, no less!  I likre the idea of German spies setting up a German army invasion of Brazil.  It might have been more realistic using an army of German irregulars teamed up with a facist-leaning Brazilian political group, bent on overtaking the Brazilian government and actually taking over and joining The Axis Powers and declaring war upon The Allies.  It's a little far-fetched to have The Japanese also involved, as they were concentrating on Asia and The Pacific.  I could have believed their joining The Germans in actions in India, or against The Russians in Mongolia or Eastern Siberia, but NOT in South America.  They were too overextended in Asia and The Pacific as it was, to start up actions deep into The Western Hemisphere. 

With the semi-realistic setting of this historic novella-type story already well established, I don't so much mind the addition of the far-fetched sci-fi element of a scientist having invented a gas that dissolves metal being tossed in.  I'm starting to mind the implication that magical powers of Miss Fury's catsuit will soon be added in.  We may have a "Cat Woman" superpower story on our hands.  I just can't seem to escape superhero type stories trying to expand my knowledge and experience in Golden Age non-comedy  comics.

I like the development of the Nazi General Bruno character, as a formidable villain enemy.  I liked the introduction of the airplane fighter dogfight scenes, and the varying settings where the Guerilla battles taook place.  This overall story is reasonably well thought out, and reasonably well developed.  It held my interest the whole way through, and the adaptation from newspaper strip format to comic book format was very well done with only a couple repetitions of information left in.  One of the best action newspaper strip episodic seriaiised continuities I've encountered.  I'm very glad to have read it, and plan to read the othe books to finish the entire story.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 04:38:36 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2023, 02:00:33 AM »

Planet Comics #37

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=18821

The Lost World
The art is very different from the Miss Fury comic - was that early work?

Hi Panther - I wasn't quite sure what you meant here. 'Miss Fury' was drawn by Tarpe Mills and 'Lost World' by Lily Renee. Though Trina Robbins did say that Lily Renee's better work was for Senorita Rio. Is that what you were referring to?

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2023, 02:20:08 AM »

Heroines' Showcase 17 -  Women Who Drew Heroines (Mills, Renee & Hopper)

I enjoyed reading this article, learning about those three artists' careers.  I liked "Miss Fury" and "Senorita Rio" most among their works. 

I also read Trina Robbins' biography, and found out that she grew up in Brooklyn, reading 1940s comic books, and later wrote comic book stories with strong-willed and brave female lead characters, and played a major part in the US Underground comic book movement during the 1970s.  Like me, apparently, she grew up with (or, at least knew several WWII Holocaust survivors, which apparently inspired her to write some of her female heroine stories like "Lily Renee", about Lily Renee Wilheim.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 03:28:20 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2023, 07:15:54 AM »

Hi Panther - I wasn't quite sure what you meant here. 

Just totally confused. 'How embarrasment', as Effie would say.
Not enought sleep when I wrote that>
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2023, 08:40:58 AM »

Hi Panther - I wasn't quite sure what you meant here. 

Just totally confused. 'How embarrasment', as Effie would say.
Not enought sleep when I wrote that>

LOL - No worries. I've often left a comment or asked a question, and then gone back and edited it after I realised I'd missed something. I just wondered if you meant Senorita Rio rather than Miss Fury. Some interesting selections for next week too.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2023, 08:43:12 AM »

Miss Fury 3

With the semi-realistic setting of this historic novella-type story already well established, I don't so much mind the addition of the far-fetched sci-fi element of a scientist having invented a gas that dissolves metal being tossed in.  I'm starting to mind the implication that magical powers of Miss Fury's catsuit will soon be added in.  We may have a "Cat Woman" superpower story on our hands.  I just can't seem to escape superhero type stories trying to expand my knowledge and experience in Golden Age non-comedy  comics.

Glad you liked it, Robb. I haven't read the other issues yet, but I did read up a little on Miss Fury. It seemed they had trouble working out what the suit did. Interesting premise though.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.