in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #300 - Walt Kelly

Pages: [1] 2 3

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #300 - Walt Kelly  (Read 2195 times)

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Reading Group #300 - Walt Kelly
« on: June 26, 2023, 02:49:59 PM »

Hi Gang,
Yoc here making his first post.  This is your 'stunt casting' entry.   8)
You guys might regret this... I'm known for being 'verbose' in my posts!

I'm an admin over at DCM, the 'Distinguished Competition'.  ;)
I've always been impressed with how active the CB+ forums are and the friendly atmosphere created with your many posts.

I first got to know Walt Kelly at his peak in his Pogo newspaper strip.  I was happy to later learn that Pogo first appeared in Animal Comics!  And how great is it to have them in the public domain for reading?

I thought it might be fun to first look at Kelly's much earlier work for Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson title 'More Fun Comics #7' (Approx. On Sale Date: Dec. 13, 1935). 
See scan pg34 'Down by the Old Mill Stream'  https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=60569

One of his first jobs for Dell in 1942 was in Camp Comics, a book aimed at men in the armed forces.  Kelly did the 'Sy Wheeler' feature in Camp#2, a 12 page feature he's credited with doing the writing and artwork.  See scan #19 for the story which starts at THIS LINK.
You can find Camp Comics #2 on DCM at the following link:
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=35394

Pogo's debut was in Animal Comics #1 (Approx. On Sale Date: Sept. 8, 1942), where Pogo was just a supporting character.  Albert the Alligator was the first star. 
You can find Animal Comics #1 at this link: https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=16740

Next up is March of Comics #3 - Featuring M.G.M Our Gang (Dell 1947). 
You can read it here: https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=13601

Finally Kelly, like many artists, was also making money doing giveaway comics.  One of the best giveaways for quality was his Adventures of Peter Wheat starting in 1948. 
You can read the first issue of it here:  - https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=12166

I'll add my thoughts on these in a few days.
Enjoy!

-Yoc
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 06:27:24 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #300 - Walt Kelly
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 07:17:42 PM »

Hi Gang,
Yoc here making his first post.  This is your 'stunt casting' entry.   

I'm an admin over at DCM, the 'Distinguished Competition'.  ;)
I've always been impressed with how active the CB+ forums are and the friendly atmosphere created with your many posts.

I first got to know Walt Kelly at his peak in his Pogo newspaper strip.  I was happy to later learn that Pogo first appeared in Animal Comics!  And how great is it to have them in the public domain for reading?

I thought it might be fun to first look at Kelly's much earlier work for Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson title 'More Fun Comics #7' (Approx. On Sale Date: Dec. 13, 1935). 
See scan pg34 'Down by the Old Mill Stream'  https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=60569

One of his first jobs for Dell in 1942 was in Camp Comics, a book aimed at men in the armed forces.  Here is the first page of his 'Sy Wheeler' from Camp#2, a 12 page feature he's credited with doing the writing and artwork.

(Click on the image to see the full size page)

Pogo's debut was in Animal Comics #1 (Approx. On Sale Date: Sept. 8, 1942), where Pogo was just a supporting character.  Albert the Alligator was the first star. 
You can find Animal Comics #1 at this link: https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=16740

Next up is March of Comics #3 - Featuring M.G.M Our Gang (Dell 1947). 
You can read it here: https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=13601

Finally Kelly, like many artists, was also making money doing giveaway comics.  One of the best giveaways for quality was his Adventures of Peter Wheat starting in 1948. 
You can read the first issue of it here:  - https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=12166
-Yoc

Great to have you participate in our Reading Group, Yoc! And what a debut!  Walt Kelly is one of my favourite comic book and comic strip writers and artists.  I have all the rest of your featured stories today, except the Camp Comics entry, which, somehow, I didn't realise was PD, and we had it here on CB+.  Great to know that and now download it for my collection!  I also didn't know that Kelly worked for National-Allied's "More Fun Comics".

I was introduced to Kelly's work in the late 1940s, from having my grandparents read some of his Dell and Western/KKpublications Comics to me from my older cousins' stash (piles) of older comics they'd finished reading.  I especially loved his Animal Comics stories, Albert & Pogo, and his Disney work, especially his Walt Disney's Comics & Stories front Covers.  I was introduced to Walt's Peter Wheat by CB+, and hadn't known that he had also been the artist for MGM's "Our Gang".  He really was a jack-of-all-trades for Western Publishing and Dell Comics during the 1940s, including all of his fairy tale and mother Goose/NurseryRhyme-related work, as well as Santa Claus Funnies.

I look forward to reading what you and the others think of these stories, and Kelly's work, in general.

Robb K
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 01:16:35 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 10:35:34 PM »

Hi Yoc

Great to have you here. They look like some interesting selections. I had a quick flick through More Fun Comics #7. I was interested to see Dr Occult under the names Leger and Reuths. I thought it was Siegel and Shuster who created Dr Occult before Superman. It looked like their style, so I did a quick search. Indeed, they did use those pseudonyms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Fun_Comics

Interestingly, there's another one of their comics in there, Henri Duval, under their own names. I wonder why one comic was published under their own names and one under a pseudonym?

I'll look forward to reading these selections.

Cheers

Quirky Quokka (from Australia)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 02:16:52 AM by Quirky Quokka »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 02:02:23 AM »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your kind welcome!

I did a search here and couldn't find CAMP COMICS.  If it is on the site could someone please share the direct link and I'll update my first post.  It's got some WB cartoons content and I figured it wouldn't be shared.  A shame as there's lots of Kelly in all three issues.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 04:27:56 AM »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your kind welcome!

I did a search here and couldn't find CAMP COMICS.  If it is on the site could someone please share the direct link and I'll update my first post.  It's got some WB cartoons content and I figured it wouldn't be shared.  A shame as there's lots of Kelly in all three issues.

-Yoc

I can't find it ANYWHERE on CB+.  It should be in a David McKay Publishing section.  But there is no such section here.  As far as I know we CAN upload the PD material from Camp Comics, just WITHOUT the material still under copyright and trademark ownership.  Is Walt Kelly's "Sy Wheeler" still under copyright?  If it is PD we can upload the PD portions of "Camp Comics" #1-3 onto CB+.  Can we get them from DCM? 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 05:12:07 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 07:54:36 AM »

Seaman Sy Wheeler page
Yikes! I can see the joke he's going for, but, yeah, that's a bit tacky and tasteless.

More Fun Comics #7

Down By The Old Mill Stream
Nice, cute art.

I considered commenting on the other stories, but the one page or less nature of the stories would just get annoying. Like reviewing a Sunday comics supplement rather than a comic book.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2023, 08:26:15 AM »

I thorough enjoyed MGM OUR GANG. Quite an exciting story.  Lots of characters and dangerous situations. Pity some of the faces didn't appeal.  Badly drawn or did I just think that? 
Pogo.  As usual when I try these stories, I don't get it.  This one was pretty bad imo.  The possum looked really ugly. 
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2023, 08:28:43 AM »

I wonder why one comic was published under their own names and one under a pseudonym?

Perhaps it was to do with payment, they may have ended up with more money under two different names.
Who knows? 
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2023, 08:47:43 AM »

With Pogo,  I think
Particularly with the later material, you need to have a fairly basic understanding of US politics and also not just read one panel but stay with the narrative for quite a lot of time.
Collections and Annuals are probably the best way.
The immortal Pogo quote:-
'We have met the enemy, and he is us!'
I'm thinking about a T-shirt.
Pogo is social and political commentary, and yes as a literal narrative it makes little sense. 
If you 'get it' it can at times be sublime.
It's like Krazy Kat, inhabits its own reality. 

ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2023, 02:52:32 PM »

Hi Guys,
Ok, so I was correct that Camp Comics is not here.
I'll double check their contents and make an effort to get them, minus-non PD material, up on DCM.
Mark and the staff here will have to make their own decision on it.  I know they don't like to share incomplete books.

Paw - Re- Animal Comics #1 - yes, Pogo is very ugly here.  More like a real possum than the cartoony version we would later know so well.  The Pogo (Albert) feature would evolve over time and mature to a wonderful thing by the time it made into a newspaper strip.

Stay tuned on the Camps,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2023, 04:33:42 PM »

Hi Guys,
Ok, so I was correct that Camp Comics is not here.
I'll double check their contents and make an effort to get them, minus-non PD material, up on DCM.
Mark and the staff here will have to make their own decision on it.  I know they don't like to share incomplete books.

Paw - Re- Animal Comics #1 - yes, Pogo is very ugly here.  More like a real possum than the cartoony version we would later know so well.  The Pogo (Albert) feature would evolve over time and mature to a wonderful thing by the time it made into a newspaper strip.

Stay tuned on the Camps,
-Yoc

As to incomplete books, we have hundreds of them here on CB+, especially those late 1930s and early 1940s books containing mostly newspaper strip reprints, and comic books published by United Features.  These are books with "Tarzan", or "Prince Valiant", or other still popular comic strip characters' pages removed.  Some, like United Features' "Tip Top Comics" having had all the "Nancy" pages removed, have as low as only 15% of their pages remaining.  So, if THOSE are allowed to be uploaded, I can't see why "Camp Comics", with a few pages removed, would be prohibited.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 04:16:09 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2023, 06:28:41 PM »

Hi Rob,
Of course you are correct on the non-PD pages being removed in those books.

I've just added Camp Comics #2 to DCM and updated my first post here with the needed link.  The other two issues will follow when ready.

Enjoy!
-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2023, 10:53:59 PM »

Re the unfortunately named Camp comics,
any book that has work by these three, 
  Contains Walt Kelly (Seaman Sy Wheeler -pg19),
Frank Thomas (Hank and Lank -pg56),
and Pepsi and Pete by Rube Goldberg -pg11. 

is significant. 
ip icon Logged

EHowie60

message icon
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2023, 11:35:39 PM »

Thanks for stopping by, Yoc! I've seen that bespectacled avatar after the back cover of comics here all the time, it's nice to hear from the person behind it. (Also, Distinguished Competition, I got that reference).

Oh boy, Walt Kelly! My father has a few collected editions of Poog comics which I read and enjoyed, though the political stuff mostly went over my head. He drew Lyndon B Johnson as a moose for some reason. I was also delighted when I first ran across his work in a book here.

First up, More Fun Comics 7. You know, I was planning on reading the whole of the book and commenting on anything else notable, but honestly these single page serials are too much for me. I can't imagine reading these at the time, following a dozen serials at a page a month! But isn't "Down by the Old Mill Stream" a delightful little piece? Such cute characters. I love the little mice ones, and the four in the back struggling with the fish they've caught! Lots of mishaps going on here, but I'm sure they'll be alright.

It's odd seeing Kelly doing human figures like the Camp Comics page. The proportions are fun though. Poor Clarence! Starts trying to stretch himself tall, ends thinking he's been cut in half.

Ok, on to Animal Comics and the first appearance of Pogo! I was wondering how different Pogo would be in his first appearance, and the answer is "Entirely". It's like the evolution of Arthur (the Aardvark) or Garfield (the cat), except even more so! Oh, early Pogo is so cute in his shirt and little bow tie! I spot an early version of Churchill the turtle in here, too. Charming art as always. I love his little background swamp critters, like Beetle in his hat.

As for the story, that's rather different too! Instead of what would be the typical Pogo "Funny animals getting into wacky situations plus political commentary", you've got a more folkloric, Briar Rabbit style tale, with Albert as the outsmarted villain. I gotta say I like it.

This book has a second Walt Kelly story in Muzzy and Ginger. Ginger is just the cutest little thing. A fun little story of animal antics, ending, heartwarmingly, with the animals getting adopted. Love that Muzzy kept the hat.

Next, March of Comics #3. I'm not familiar with "Our Gang" but the premise seems straightforward. Kelly's art feels more generic here, probably cause he's representing real people. My goodness this story goes a mile a minute, doesn't it? Treasure! Attempted murder! Gunfights! Bricks to the face! Identical twins! I know if I was a kid in 1947 and I got this for free at the Hobby Horse, I'd have loved it.

And finally the Peter Wheat giveaway. I don't know what I was expecting (a boy who lives on a wheat farm, maybe?), but it wasn't a whimsical fantasy story full of adorable characters. Walt Kelly is in his element drawing all these little critters. Did he create this specific mascot or did he just get handed a perfect opportunity? Oh the panel on page 15 with the little woodland army is just so cute! Especially for a giveaway, this is a lovely little piece.

All in all we have a great selection this time, in particular the Pogo story and the Peter Wheat giveaway. Kelly is at his best drawing little critters of various types. Thanks once again for coming over, yoc, and for selecting such fun reads!
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2023, 07:33:21 AM »

More Fun Comics #7

There's certainly a lot to look at in the art for 'Down by the Old Mill Stream'. The more you look, the more there is to see. If it was in colour, it would make a great jigsaw puzzle. Some of the recent whimsical jigsaw puzzles are in a similar style.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was particularly interested to find two of Siegel and Shuster's pre-Superman comics here - Henri Duval and Dr Occult (the second under a pseudonym). I remember reading somewhere that they were disappointed Henri Duval didn't take off, but it's not the most riveting of comics. Dr Occult offers more of the promise of what they were to become, with some of the artwork resembling the style in the early Superman comics.

I gather that most of this comic book was compiled from full-page comic strips that appeared in the Sunday or weekend supplements? As others have said, it would have been hard to keep track of that many serials. Was it weekly or monthly? Though I did like 'Sandra of the Secret Service'. She's killed two baddies by the time she's halfway down the page. What a gal.

There were also some other interesting features, with reader letters, puzzles and movie news with classics like 'Captain Blood' and 'Captains Courageous'. Though the reviews seemed more geared to boys than girls. Strange, as there were a number of comic strips in the compilation that would have appealed to girls.

Quite a good value comic for the time, though not easy to keep track of all the continuing stories.

Camp Comics #2

I went over to DCM and downloaded the copy. I can imagine it would have been quite popular with military personnel at the time. 'The Party Line' feature is even a bit risque for the time, though I'm sure servicemen would have appreciated those dolly birds.

'Seaman Sy Wheeler' was the only story I read in full. As SuperScrounge noted, the suicide gag is not palatable today. Even though the sidekick is trying to lengthen himself, rather than kill himself, it wouldn't be done in this type of comic book these days. I did find the story a little hard to follow at times, but the art was good and there were lots of sight gags.

I flicked through the rest of the comic, and it looked like there was a good mix of serious stories featuring military personnel and funny stories. Probably just what was needed to cheer up the boys who were fighting a war far from home.

Though I did wonder why there were no many ads about shaving. There was one for Gem razors, one for Barbasol blades, one for Gillette blades and a one-panel gag about shaving. Was there a problem with hairy servicemen?  :D

Cheers

Quirky Quokka

« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 07:38:40 AM by Quirky Quokka »
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2023, 07:48:05 AM »

With Pogo,  I think
Particularly with the later material, you need to have a fairly basic understanding of US politics and also not just read one panel but stay with the narrative for quite a lot of time.
Collections and Annuals are probably the best way.
The immortal Pogo quote:-
'We have met the enemy, and he is us!'
I'm thinking about a T-shirt.
Pogo is social and political commentary, and yes as a literal narrative it makes little sense. 
If you 'get it' it can at times be sublime.
It's like Krazy Kat, inhabits its own reality. 

I only had a vague idea of having seen Pogo, but I don't remember reading any of the strip. Was it syndicated in Australia? In any case, I was interested in what you said about the politics, so did a quick search and found this article. Apparently he was a hot potato during the McCarthy era.

https://daily.jstor.org/the-most-controversial-comic-strip/

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2023, 12:22:29 AM »

Next, March of Comics #3. I'm not familiar with "Our Gang" but the premise seems straightforward. Kelly's art feels more generic here, probably cause he's representing real people. My goodness this story goes a mile a minute, doesn't it? Treasure! Attempted murder! Gunfights! Bricks to the face! Identical twins! I know if I was a kid in 1947 and I got this for free at the Hobby Horse, I'd have loved it.

EHowie60, I haven't seen one of the comics before, but I remember seeing some of the 'Our Gang' shorts on TV when I was a kid, or rebranded as 'The Little Rascals". They were well into reruns by then, but I remember thinking they were hilarious when I was primary school age. Here's a short clip from YouTube, but they seem to have a lot of their clips up there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh_g8J37dTo

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

EHowie60

message icon
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2023, 12:58:33 AM »

EHowie60, I haven't seen one of the comics before, but I remember seeing some of the 'Our Gang' shorts on TV when I was a kid, or rebranded as 'The Little Rascals". They were well into reruns by then, but I remember thinking they were hilarious when I was primary school age. Here's a short clip from YouTube, but they seem to have a lot of their clips up there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh_g8J37dTo

Cheers

QQ

Heh that's a fun clip. I assume the Rascals have misinterpreted what their sitter is up to? Thanks for sharing.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2023, 01:06:40 AM »

He drew Lyndon B Johnson as a moose for some reason.

In all the strips I read Johnson is portrayed as a centaur wearing a cowboy hat so big it covers most of his head, leaving only his chin and part of his nose showing. The Lone Star flag is on the hat's crown. The Johnson character, "The Loan Arranger," speaks with a exaggerated drawl and is always shaking someone's hand saying, "Howdy, ol' buddy!"

Over at comicartfans.org user "Monty B." has posted the original for a 1966 Sunday page featuring Johnson. Click the image to enlarge...it's a beautiful example of Kelly's Pogo work. Note also the lettering correction in panel 3--obviously it originally said Lone rather than Loan. Oops!

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1669348
ip icon Logged

EHowie60

message icon
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2023, 01:39:22 AM »

In all the strips I read Johnson is portrayed as a centaur wearing a cowboy hat so big it covers most of his head, leaving only his chin and part of his nose showing. The Lone Star flag is on the hat's crown. The Johnson character, "The Loan Arranger," speaks with a exaggerated drawl and is always shaking someone's hand saying, "Howdy, ol' buddy!"

Over at comicartfans.org user "Monty B." has posted the original for a 1966 Sunday page featuring Johnson. Click the image to enlarge...it's a beautiful example of Kelly's Pogo work. Note also the lettering correction in panel 3--obviously it originally said Lone rather than Loan. Oops!

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1669348

Ah, I had it wrong. In 1968 Johnson was drawn not as a moose, but as a steer! I found an example here: https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1780706. Wonder why Kelly made the change?
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2023, 06:47:48 AM »

What a terrific Reading Group selection. I greatly admire Walt Kelly's work in both comics and newspapers. Some of my favorite Kelly appeared in his mid-fifties trade paperbacks like The Pogo Peek-a-Book, which contained new material rather than strip reprints. There Kelly did not only political satire but also parodies, poems, word play, and more. I wish we could host the Peek-a-Book here.

More Fun Comics #7

The earliest Kelly I've seen, and it's wonderful. Though he is remembered mostly for Pogo's satire, Kelly had a lifelong love for whimsical fantasy. Here he's already developing the little critters that inhabited his worlds. He's also working on his inking technique, short strokes that follow the form and give an old-timey look.

This page strongly reminds me of cartoons that Johnny Gruelle did for Judge in the 'teens. Gruelle drew full-page bird's-eye views of small town life with themes like "Off on the Honeymoon" and "Summer Joys in the Country." The drawings teemed with little cartoon people doing funny things related to the theme. My favorites were his "Bugville" scenes, with the people replaced by cute little bugs and the buildings made from fruit and vegetables. Shortly after this Gruelle hit the big time with "Raggedy Ann," which dominated the rest of his career. I respect Raggedy Ann's importance, but the character monopolizes every discussion of the artist,  and I've yet to find Gruelle's any of Judge cartoons online.

But back to Walt Kelly. I wouldn't be surprised if young Walt was influenced by Gruelle, as he was by another Judge (and Life) artist, cartoon-animal master T.S. Sullivant. In any event, I love this drawing. It's fun to study all the things that are going on. I predict a great career for this boy!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2023, 10:13:01 AM »

What a terrific Reading Group selection. I greatly admire Walt Kelly's work in both comics and newspapers. Some of my favorite Kelly appeared in his mid-fifties trade paperbacks like The Pogo Peek-a-Book, which contained new material rather than strip reprints. There Kelly did not only political satire but also parodies, poems, word play, and more. I wish we could host the Peek-a-Book here.

More Fun Comics #7

The earliest Kelly I've seen, and it's wonderful. Though he is remembered mostly for Pogo's satire, Kelly had a lifelong love for whimsical fantasy. Here he's already developing the little critters that inhabited his worlds. He's also working on his inking technique, short strokes that follow the form and give an old-timey look.

This page strongly reminds me of cartoons that Johnny Gruelle did for Judge in the 'teens. Gruelle drew full-page bird's-eye views of small town life with themes like "Off on the Honeymoon" and "Summer Joys in the Country." The drawings teemed with little cartoon people doing funny things related to the theme. My favorites were his "Bugville" scenes, with the people replaced by cute little bugs and the buildings made from fruit and vegetables. Shortly after this Gruelle hit the big time with "Raggedy Ann," which dominated the rest of his career. I respect Raggedy Ann's importance, but the character monopolizes every discussion of the artist,  and I've yet to find Gruelle's any of Judge cartoons online.

But back to Walt Kelly. I wouldn't be surprised if young Walt was influenced by Gruelle, as he was by another Judge (and Life) artist, cartoon-animal master T.S. Sullivant. In any event, I love this drawing. It's fun to study all the things that are going on. I predict a great career for this boy!

Carl Barks also drew cartoons for "Judge Magazine", as well as "Coo-Coo", and the bawdy, "Calgary Eye-Opener".  Kelly's great ambition was to illustrate many Fairy Tales, Folk Tales, and Nursery Rhyme books, which he did for Western Publishing, mostly during the early 1940s, but that continued to the end of that decade (as is demonstrated in one of his earliest in that genre, in "Down By The Old Mill Stream" in "More Fun Comics 7).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 10:17:57 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2023, 12:24:47 PM »

Thanks for the Walt Kelly, You, and welcome to town.

We got POGO with the Toronto GLOBE AND MAIL. Dad would explain the political context to me after I finished the strip for the continuing stories. But THE GLOBE, as it’s called here, didn’t publish weekend strips so the link to the ’66 LBJ strip was a delight.

The selections were fun, and for me it was revealing to see the elements that would gel into POGO. Playing with the strip construction with the upside down word balloon, the (over) population of characters in the one page strip, the swamp, you can go on forever.

That was one of the delights of POGO. It remained a nearly endless rabbit hole you can never find your way out of. Layers you can never get to the bottom of. Holds up after years of repeated reading.

Thanks again for the selections.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2023, 02:55:03 PM »

This is the2nd Peter Wheat I've tried and I still don't see what all the fuss is about.  Seems quite well drawn but is it for kiddies -the insect characters and the way the story is told would suggest that.  Yet the mention of torture seems to suggest otherwise.
Just what is Peter?
I'm sorry to say that for me, this isn't a patch on Tom Poes or Rupert or Donald & Co.
Going back to Pogo, would I get the political references?  Probably not.  So some of the layers Morgus mentions would pass me by.

ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2023, 04:08:35 PM »

When Dark Horse published LITTLE ANNIE FANNY, they had footnotes at the back, explaining who was who in the strip and their current (say 1960’s) claim to fame.

Being sentimental, I’ve stuck with the old re-prints they put out in the 60’s, the ones with the one or two colour covers like I GO POGO. So I don’t know; have the newer editions from, say, Fantagraphics done the same thing as LITTLE ANNIE FANNIE did?

I remember just staring at the art in the strip for the longest time growing up. Then I started to be able to read it, then I started to get the full band width of the thing. Only the art of Carl Barks and Will Elder came close to that sort of bottomless fascination.

If it hasn’t been done, I hope somebody follows through with the idea.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.