in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #300 - Walt Kelly

Pages: 1 2 [3]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #300 - Walt Kelly  (Read 2196 times)

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #300 - Walt Kelly
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2023, 01:17:03 AM »

Animal Comics #1

I thought that overall this was rather well put together. The art is varied but generally of good quality, the presentation is nice and I'm a big fan of the lettering which gives the whole thing a sense of style and unity. I'm sorry to say, I didn't think Walt Kelly's contributions were particularly outstanding. I'm not sure the name Bumbazine is really appropriate for anyone, let alone a good natured little black kid, and I'm not entirely sure why it's notorious for him to eat watermelon while an ugly old possum doing the same thing is harmless. But as Lou Reed would say, "those were different times."

I actually really like Katonka Flies North, even though the goose art is better than the human art. It's a lovely story, so thank you Gaylord Du Bois. Right of Way is amusing even though the art's very cartoony by comparison to some of the other strips, and again I'm sorry to say Muzzy & Ginger is a nice, heartwarming story but Kelly's art doesn't knock me out. I much prefer George Kerr's Monarch of Panther Gorge, and I'm really very taken with George Avison's Milk for the Baby. Old school it may be, but I find it very appealing.

As a whole, it's a sweet package. I'm not usually a fan of "Funny Animal Comics" but this one tempts me to read more.

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2023, 05:23:15 AM »

Animal Comics #1

I realized I hadn't read any early Animal Comics. I liked this one quite a bit. I'll be reading more. It's not your typical "funny animal" comic.

First installments of series always differ from later episodes when the creator(s) have had time to fine tune their approach.  Albert Takes the Cake is an extreme example. Almost everything about it was later changed! The art is nice but the story moves slowly. Walt Kelly seems to have in mind a sort of Wind in the Willows meets Pooh storybook tale, with a touch of Uncle Remus thrown in. Pogo and Bumbazine have no personalities and Albert is a stock melodrama villain. The artwork makes up for it. Kelly's posing and expressions show hints of his mature style.

Bumbazine is a paradoxical character. He's intelligent and speaks without a minstrel show accent. In the beginning he's even drawn as a normal kid, though he quickly develops that stereotypical huge red porpoise mouth. I'm pretty sure Kelly was consciously trying to avoid creating a typical comical African American. He gets points for that but he still followed the old rule that Black characters' names must refer to their skin color either directly (Ebony, Bumbazine / bombazine) or ironically (Snowball)--the exception being agricultural references (Buckwheat).

Katonka Flies North is an unusual story with nice art. I'm confused though by the aerial battle. The author makes it clear that the story takes place somewhere north of Maryland. A fleet of bombers attacking the American continent would have been a monumental event yet the radiomen act like it's an everyday occurrence. The story hits a really sour note when Rooney, a fleshed-out character, is coldly dispatched offscreen and no one cares. The Sarge is all about freeing Katonka; he doesn't even stop to say, "Too bad about Rooney."

Piggy Pranks is an amusing story with excellent art. I like the idea of a story with humanized animals who are real animals rather than "funny animals." I hope their acting ability saved the pigs' (literal) bacon. One odd thing: Our page 27, panels 1 and 6, specifies a "junky looking truck" but the artist draws a horse-drawn wagon.

Right of Way is so-so. The humans seem to overact, even for cartoons, when they see the skunks. The story raises an interesting question. Can all animals understand all other animals' speech? There seems to be a universal language that any creature except a human understands.

Ginger and Muzzy runs hot and cold. I like the animals more than the humans. I have the same feeling I did with Sy Wheeler. Kelly's slapstick antics fit his animals but seem forced in his humans. He does draw the cutest kittens in the business.

The Monarch of Panther Gorge is all right. The drawing on the deer is a bit strange. I'm puzzled by page 52. By dodging the panther, The Monarch seems to be putting the doe and fawn in harm's way. But all ends well. I'm glad the panther is allowed to escape with his life. He was only doin' a-what comes natcherly.

Milk for the Baby is a treat. George Avison's old-school art is wonderful. This may have been George's only comic book work but he's obviously a professional. The story has some amusing moments as long as you accept that modern day people, even rural folk, wouldn't know what an elephant is.

In conclusion I'll say I enjoyed this book. The coloring, lettering, and printing are first-rate, too.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2023, 07:29:38 PM »

Early Walt Kelly Comic Book Work
More Fun Comics 7 (1935) - Walt Kelly's "Down By The Old Mill Stream"
Apparently, this was a syndicated, single-page newspaper comic.  It's a very nicely drawn fairy tale-style page, reminiscent of Kelly's later work in "The Brownies" and "Fairy Tale Parade".

Camp Comics 1 (1942)
Seaman Sy Wheeler - by Walt Kelly
It's obvious from the start that straight Human comedy wasn't Kelly's forté, and he was just trying to come up with a zany, slapstick comedy story to entertain The Troops.  It was a bit too silly for my taste, having the feel of a not-very-good (schmaltzy) Vaudeville or British Music Hall comedy team act.   
But, I understand that almost ALL the comic book story creators were trying to develop a style for the new print genre back then, and the artwork pulls it up some. At least he snuck in a "cutesy" anthropomorphic animal, to avoid abandoning his true calling.

Hank and Lank - By Frank Thomas
I've deviated from my plan to only review the Walt Kelly creations in these comic books, because this Frank Thomas story is so creative and memorable.  He makes fun of the superheroes trend, whose popularity spawned the success of the relatively new comic book format for telling stories formerly only available in serialised, all too short comic strip episodes.  His very funny drawing style accentuates the creative use of a superhero genie, who can grant superhero fans' wishes of emulating their heroes' abilities to fight injustice and right wrongs of evil villains upon society's innocent victims.  And his employment of two lowly street sweepers as his heroes, retrieving The City's babies' milk for them, while making fun of gangsters and politicians is brilliant (certainly, at least) for its time.  And sweeping the "dirty" gangsters into the street is a neat bit of irony.  I also enjoyed their forcing the villains to dig a "milk pipeline", to send the necessary sustenance to the little nippers in a big, ostentatious fountain in the middle of The City's centre.  They've been informed by the superhero genie that all they'll need to do to transform into their superhero alter egos, is to shout the magic word, "XNTZ"!  I also liked the slap on mothers, with them taking milk "beauty baths" in their kids' milk. The story has a great ending, too, with the two humble street sweepers refusing to accept medals from The Mayor, flying off into the sky on their push-brooms, returning to sweeping a deserted street, and vowing never to tell a living soul that they are the superheroes, "The Sooper Soopers".

I must admit that Rube Goldberg's artwork on "Pepsi & Pete - The Pepsi-Cola Cops" was excellent in all 3 Camp Comics books.  The gags weren't very good.  But, who expects entertainment from commercials?

Camp Comics 2 (1942)
The short sailor trying to stretch himself using a hangman's noose is a funny idea, as is having him wear stilts that are glued to his shoes.  Thinking he has been broken in half is beyond acceptance. This one also has the same Vaudeville feel to it as the Camp 1 story.  It's just a bunch of slapstick gags and puns, strung together.  A blind date with a gigantic, muscular, lady wrestler is also very cliché.  The ending is unexpected.  But, all-in-all, the artwork is all I'm interested in, and not nearly as pleasing as Kelly's funny animal work.

Hank and Lank - by Frank Thomas
I hadn't decided whether or not to let Hank & Lank coax me to stray from keeping to my Walt Kelly theme, but Thomas' parodying Adolf Hitler, and the arch villain's reference to Hans Und Fritz forced me to do so (remindful of the saying "The Devil Made Me Do it!").  In this month's episode, Hank & Lank want to join The US Army to use their Sooper Sooper powers to help defeat The Axis Powers in World War II.  Are they planning to sweep Hitler. Mussolini, and Tojo into the ocean, to be finished off by other sharks???  They fly atop their now jet powered brooms over to the nearest recruiting station, which is inconveniently located at their closest recruit training base.  The recruiting officer rejects them from the army, but hires them to sweep their stables.  Of course, Adolf Hitler leads a group of 4 Hitler look-alike spies, who parachuted onto that very base, to steal the US Army's secret plans for the super-automatic potato peeler.  Our "heroes" fail to guard the plans successfully, and so, are fired by the colonel.  Hitler and his crew steal an army tank, and try to escape with the plans.  And as is often left unexplained in comic books, the foreign villains already know The Two Sooper Soopers, by reputation.  Their USA-based spies must have read the newspapers about Sooper Soopers saving the milk for babies in "The City"!!!  OR, they read last month's issue of "Camp Comics" (which must have been imported illegally to an underground antikvariat bookshop in Berlin, as they weren't distributed in Germany during The War).  Hank & Lank toss the spies high up into the sky, they think, completely out of The Country.  But, at the story's end, they fall back to Earth, atop The General's desk, winning them The US Congressional Medal of Honor!

Camp Comics 3 (1942)
Hank and Lank - by Frank Thomas
In this month's story, Emperor Hirohito sits on his horse just outside the entrance to the tunnel dug by General Fanny hang-Low's troops through the centre of The Earth, ending just below the streets of New York City.  The General leads troops through the tunnel, and they burst a water pipeline open.  The water in a Central Park Lake drains out, sucking Hank and Lank and Lank's girlfriend, bubbles down into the dug hole, all the way to Japan.  Our heroes gas The Japanese soldiers, who also were flushed to Japan, with tear gas found in their truck, and the latter swim down the dug hole's new river, back to New York City, where they are captured by US Army troops. Hank, Lank and Bubbles are chosen to be spies in Japan.  They conince The Emperor to come to New York for his Victory Parade.  Interesting that the water from the tiny drained lake in Central Park still remains in the hole that runs the entire diameter of the Earth, AND whose overflow floods ALL of Japan.  And why don't boat passengers in that vertical hole, filled with water, drown???  Can they hold their breaths for the many weeks it would take to travel that distance???  I guess no one ever rightly accused Frank Thomas of being a realist, or not having an imagination!  When they arrive in New York, Hank tosses The Emperor into a garbage truck, and a procession of garbage trucks (carrying The Japanese guests parades through the streets.  So THAT'S how Emperor Hirohito met his maker!  i thought he died many years after The War.

On Leave, wanting to take a trip out into the countryside, Sy and Clarence have only enough money for one train fare.  So supershort Clarence has to dress up as Sy's child to get a free ride.  But, he gets into a fight with a little boy bully, as girlfriends Kitty and Tootsie enter their train cabin.  After a lot of mishaps that make Kitty suspicious of Sy's relationships with other women, both he and Clarence leave the train and walk back towards the harbour to return to their ship, which they feel is safer than dealing with "Civilian Life".  This story also was mainly slapstick animation gags, like the other two, but the gags weren't as clever, and it was less funny. The "semi-realistic" adventure strips in these books were okay, but nothing special.  It's easy to see why the sailors didn't buy many of these books, and why K.K. Publications stopped issuing them after three issues.  The men would rather spend their money on more risqué cheesecake books, with the ladies wearing much skimpier outfits (if anything at all), or rather save their dimes for dates with real live women, while on shore leave.

Animal Comics 1 (1942)
Albert (Alligator) Takes The Cake - by Walt Kelly
I had this comic book in the 1940s, thanks to my older cousins.  I like Albert's looks, and the way he acts as a character.  Pogo looks quite ugly at this early stage.  And he is also not his philosophical self, which he becomes later.  Bumbazine was not the greatly stereotyped African American child, with giant red or white "liver" lips, and a thick southern pidgin accent, to imply he was dull-witted and ignorant.  I think kelly used him as a nature-loving friend of all animals.  But I'd rather not have him in the story, as he seems out-of-place, and unnecessary to the story's plot.  and furthermore, his presence ruins the feeling of authenticity of the anthropomorphic animals' World.  Bumbazine bakes a chocolate cake for Pogo's birthday, which Albert smells, and desires to steal it for himself.  Albert threatens to eat Bumbazine if Pogo doesn't give him his cake.  The super-heavy cake weighs Albert down under the lake as he tried to jump over it to catch Pogo.  Albert is angry at Bumbazine for baking a cement cake, and at Pogo for tricking him into eating it. Pogo and Bumbazine celebrate by eating watermelon.  A moral tale, but not very clever or funny, like Kelly's later stories. His artwork is fine, except for Pogo's ugliness.

Snuffy & Violet - Right Of Way - by Walt Kelly
Snuffy Skunk and his mate, Violet, are looking for a place to make their new home.  Snuffy decides to steal a woodchuck's burrow, bragging that Skunks (because of their stinky liquid spray weapon, have the "right of Way) over the other animals.  Violet is impressed that the large Humans are afraid of skunks.  The couple looks for a place to live in a garage attic, so they can be close to garbage cans from which they can eat.  They find a pillow they use for a nest.  Days later, Violet's babies are born.  They live there for a month, feasting from the garbage cans.  The Skunks notice that the Humans all run away from them, but decide to move to a nest back in the woods, for the summer.  The character artwork in this Kelly story is more roundish, and animated, and. thus, more appealing.  But, the so-called "story" is not interesting at all.  Kelly was just learning how to write stories of several pages, at this early time.  He preferred to draw Fairy Tales at that time, and had practised by using other artists' work as models, and the traditional stories as "templates", and so, hadn't had a lot of experience to that time, in creating totally new stories from out of his imagination.

Muzzy & Ginger - by Walt Kelly
Muzzy The terrible-tempered Chimpanzee, came to the pet shop, and ruined its mellow atmosphere.  One day, Ginger, a young kitten, wandered too close to the chimp's cage, and was grabbed.  Motherly instincts led Muzzy to be gentle with the kitten.  Instantly, they became friends.  The shop owner first afraid for the kitten, saw they got along well together, and so, left them together inside the cage.  But he dropped a box of matches before leaving.  the monkey started a fire which spread throughout the shop.  Muzzy's cage burned a hole in the floor, and fell into it, and the two animals were gone.  Everyone mourned them.  But they had escaped to the nearby park.  They stole food from people there, and are chased by police into a cable street tram.  Muzzy scared away its driver, and drives it into the river.  Then the two animals climb into a house and eat the occupant's food.  He arrives home, likes the look of the two animals, and says he will keep them as pets.  He takes them to a "crippled" children's school (and home) to be their friends.  Not a very interesting story.  But it is well-drawn, and would be liked by very young children if read to them by adults.

Boys' & Girls' March Of Comics 3 - Our Gang(Giveaway)(1947)
The Old House Mystery
This story starts at Our Gang member Froggie's house's attic, where he and another gang member (Red) find a chest with an old treasure map inside.  They go to where Buckwheat (called "Bucky") works, because he probably will know where the old house on the map is located.  Pushing the heavy trunk down the street in a wagon, they knock it into a mean man's leg.  He complains to a policeman but avoids going to the police station to press charges (afraid they'll find out he's a crook).  Doc Baxter offers to give the two boys a ride to the old mansion, but leaves them half a mile short.  The two boys enter the old house, despite it being guarded by a man holding a rifle.  they climb down into a cellar and see the man they bumped on the street climbing out of the dirt floor.  They think Doc Baxter beat up the man an buried him. Red goes to bring the police.  Red finds the detective and unties him.  This story had a good pacing and carried a good amount of suspense all the way to the epilogue, where the reader finds out who the villains really are, and they are captured (with help from all 4 kids (Bucky brings Janie with him to the mansion).  The kids all get a share in the reward for the capture of two bankrobbers.  There was no treasure.  This is very well written, leading me to believe it was written by one of the prolific Western Publishing writers, rather than Kelly, who drew it.  The  32 page story has too long a plot to have been taken from a two-reel Our Gang short film.  I enjoyed the good art and entertaining story.  This story is longer than almost all The "Our Gang" stories which were the lead feature in "Our Gang Comics" until the last handful of the issues, when "Tom and Jerry" was expanded in size, and took over the lead story position, and "Our Gang" was cut down to 8 and then 6 pages, and made the final story in the book. The title was "Our Gan" Featuring Tom And Jerry" for those final issues, and after Issue # 59, the title changed to "Tom and Jerry Comics", and the "Our Gang" story was dropped, altogether.

The Adventures Of Peter Wheat 1 (Giveaway)
Series Opening Episode
Walt Kelly wrote most of this series' stories, himself, and drew most of them, except the last 15 or so, which were drawn by his old colleague at The Walt Disney Studio, Al Hubbard.  Kelly drew all the drawings in the Peter Wheat special books.  This book, opening the series, introduces several of the series' main characters, including Peter, an elf, his friend Beetle, Dragonel, Queen of The Hornets, her father, The Wizard, and some of her soldiers who dwell in the woods adjacent to the wheat fields which feed many of the animals in the local area, and Mr. Mole, and a vicious Shrew, as well as an entire menagerie of small animals, including rabbits, a frog, birds, mice, squirrels, and various bugs, who inhabit the woods which make up the fairyland kingdom currently ruled by Peter's mother, The Queen. 

Peter overhears The Hornets plan to burn down the wheat field because the animals expanding it has been crowding them int a smaller forest habitat.  He is almost captured by Hornet Queen, Dragonel, but he ends up saving her when she is caught in a spider web.  She saves him from being killed by her father when The Hornets capture him and take him to their castle in the forest.  His friend, Beetle rescues him, and Mr. Mole leads them through a tunnel to get far away from the castle.  Beetle gathers the friendly animals to help fight The Hornets.  Riding atop the leader of The Bumble Bees, Beetle leads the army of animals (including several mammals, which could easily destroy the small Hornets.  So, the villains just fly away, and the field and that year's food crop is saved. 

This story is decent, and more interesting and suspenseful, and action-packed than most stories for little children, and has mention of torture and death.  But, having a hero not much older than a toddler, with a baby face, it is still meant for parents reading to very young children, as fairy and folk tales, and nursery rhymes are.  I really like the artwork, and the stories are readable and somewhat interesting and enjoyable to a certain extent.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 08:26:28 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2023, 09:20:35 AM »

Animal Comics #1

I realized I hadn't read any early Animal Comics. I liked this one quite a bit. I'll be reading more. It's not your typical "funny animal" comic.

First installments of series always differ from later episodes when the creator(s) have had time to fine tune their approach.  Albert Takes the Cake is an extreme example. Almost everything about it was later changed! The art is nice but the story moves slowly. Walt Kelly seems to have in mind a sort of Wind in the Willows meets Pooh storybook tale, with a touch of Uncle Remus thrown in. Pogo and Bumbazine have no personalities and Albert is a stock melodrama villain. The artwork makes up for it. Kelly's posing and expressions show hints of his mature style.

Bumbazine is a paradoxical character. He's intelligent and speaks without a minstrel show accent. In the beginning he's even drawn as a normal kid, though he quickly develops that stereotypical huge red porpoise mouth. I'm pretty sure Kelly was consciously trying to avoid creating a typical comical African American. He gets points for that but he still followed the old rule that Black characters' names must refer to their skin color either directly (Ebony, Bumbazine / bombazine) or ironically (Snowball)--the exception being agricultural references (Buckwheat).

Katonka Flies North is an unusual story with nice art. I'm confused though by the aerial battle. The author makes it clear that the story takes place somewhere north of Maryland. A fleet of bombers attacking the American continent would have been a monumental event yet the radiomen act like it's an everyday occurrence. The story hits a really sour note when Rooney, a fleshed-out character, is coldly dispatched offscreen and no one cares. The Sarge is all about freeing Katonka; he doesn't even stop to say, "Too bad about Rooney."

Piggy Pranks is an amusing story with excellent art. I like the idea of a story with humanized animals who are real animals rather than "funny animals." I hope their acting ability saved the pigs' (literal) bacon. One odd thing: Our page 27, panels 1 and 6, specifies a "junky looking truck" but the artist draws a horse-drawn wagon.

Right of Way is so-so. (1) The humans seem to overact, even for cartoons, when they see the skunks. The story raises an interesting question. (2) Can all animals understand all other animals' speech? There seems to be a universal language that any creature except a human understands.

Ginger and Muzzy runs hot and cold. (3) I like the animals more than the humans. I have the same feeling I did with Sy Wheeler. Kelly's slapstick antics fit his animals but seem forced in his humans. He does draw the cutest kittens in the business.

The Monarch of Panther Gorge is all right. The drawing on the deer is a bit strange. I'm puzzled by page 52. By dodging the panther, The Monarch seems to be putting the doe and fawn in harm's way. But all ends well. I'm glad the panther is allowed to escape with his life. He was only doin' a-what comes natcherly.

Milk for the Baby is a treat. George Avison's old-school art is wonderful. This may have been George's only comic book work but he's obviously a professional. The story has some amusing moments as long as you accept that modern day people, even rural folk, wouldn't know what an elephant is.

In conclusion I'll say I enjoyed this book. The coloring, lettering, and printing are first-rate, too.

(1) Humans overreacting in fear of skunks is a cliché in cartooning (and also films and TV, as if skunks stink all the time, and a person's clothing can absorb the fumes from 50 feet away.  Or even as if people who know that the stink only comes from their liquid being sprayed onto a potential enemy, they will assume a skunk will ALWAYS spray you, if you get within X distance of them.  Of course, they only spray when they are afraid that you mean them harm.  And I'm sure that if you don't approach them really closely, with quick and unpredictable movements, they will just go about their business.  Naturally, it's not a good idea to amble up to them and try to pet them.  But there is no need to run 100 meters away from them as fast as you can, the moment you spot one (unless you accidentally fall upon one, without having noticed it beforehand).  Of course, the panic reaction is more funny, and slapstick scenarios usually result.  So it is a mainstay "tool" for comedy writers.

(2) Of course, in real life, only some animals can understand the calls of other unrelated species.  I, myself know the meanings of a few of the different calls of the local crows and finches in my neighbourhoods.  But Humans who live and work in urban areas have lost a very large portion of their former instincts and learning about nature.  I dare say that a feral child, raised by wolves would not only know what the different barks, howls and calls of wolves mean, but probably those of their enemies and their prey animals, as well, just as dogs learn what words said in a similar tone by their masters and other people with whom they spend a decent amount of time.  But, of course, ALL the animals in children's stories in which they are the protagonists, and people are just much less important supporting characters, speaking a language understandable by all the other animals is a convenient traditional tool to use in stories of that genre, for animal-loving young children.

(3) I agree, absolutely!  It is clear that Walt Kelly's great love was to be illustrating magical, fantasy stories, of the fairytale and folktale, and nursery rhyme genre, and greatly enjoyed drawing and telling stories about anthropomorphic animals, as well.  I think he felt similarly about drawing funny animals and magical, fictional semi-Human characters, because the fantasy situations gave the writer and artist much more freedom to make points about society and types of people in it, that might be very uncomfortable for a lot of people, and so be dangerous, or non-politically correct if realistic Human characters were used.  That would be "Too close to home".  I think that "Maus" by Art Spiegelman, Uncle Scrooge, by Carl Barks, and so many other comics series are good examples of that.  I, myself, use the cover of funny animal, or very cartoony and silly or eccentric Human figure characters to try to "sneak in" environmental, and moral or fairness, or Golden Rule and karmic justice messages into stories for children and teenagers (with the goal of making those points without appearing to be too "preachy".
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2023, 12:59:23 AM »

Humans overreacting in fear of skunks is a cliché in cartooning (and also films and TV, as if skunks stink all the time, and a person's clothing can absorb the fumes from 50 feet away.

Then, if I was a skunk I would be thanking Hollywood for helping keep people away from me.
  the fantasy situations gave the writer and artist much more freedom to make points about society and types of people in it, that might be very uncomfortable for a lot of people, and so be dangerous, or non-politically correct if realistic Human characters were used.  That would be "Too close to home".

Writers and Artists have been doing that ever since we have learned to speak, write and draw.
Incidentally, the term 'Politically correct' originated in the time of Stalin and meant anything that Stalin disapproved of and might get you killed.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2023, 09:04:44 AM »

OK, not much comment from  me on the actual content of the books yet.
I prefer to stay mostly out of the way and comment at the end to sum up. 
Yoc said,
I thought it might be fun to first look at Kelly's much earlier work for Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson title 'More Fun Comics #7' (Approx. On Sale Date: Dec. 13, 1935).
See scan pg34 'Down by the Old Mill Stream'

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=60569

Since we are looking at the work of WALT KELLY, I'm mostly going to confine myself to his work, but not entirely.
Sandra of the Secret Service.
It has come as a pleasant surprise to me that, contrary to expectations, there were quite a number of strips featuring women, and many featuring adventuresome or heroic characters, during the Golden Age or earlier.
Sandra takes no prisoners!
I suspect that, because many people had the habit of reading an excerpt of a story every day in their newspaper, it was assumed that they would be happy to do the same thing in a weekly or monthly publication.
It also amazes me, just how many strips three are out there that I have never heard of before!
Down by the Old Mill Stream
This kind of panoramic multicharacter one-page illustration was not uncommon at the time.
I remember many of them in British 'comic papers' I can recognize a couple of facial expressions that he would use later in his work.
There is no over-arching narrative here, just small one-dimensional stories.
But already you can feel the creator stretching out. 
Nice to see early 'Jerome Siegel and Joe Shuster here. - On two strips, including early Dr Occult.While the art is visually simple, they are terrific storytellers. There is energy and movement and different perspective in every panel.
Little Linda - I'd like to see a collection of this strip. This is something of a trope, Young girl runs away from intolerable domestic situation  and has adventures.
Whitney Ellsworth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitney_Ellsworth
A pretty significant figure in comics history.
cheers!       

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2023, 09:31:59 AM »

Camp Comics 2
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=85367
Cover date 1942.
The production quality on this, in 1942, and the faux risque material, makes me think that this was funded by the armed forces.
Which makes it curious that the headline character is the female action hero, Rusty O'Rilley. So instead of cheesecake the Dough-boys get to look at Rusty and Betsy.
Sy Wheeler
Atypical for Walt Kelly. I prefer his usual stuff.   
Philo Vance - was highly popular in the movies at the time.
Do any of you know if this work was from a strip?
Hank and Lank. I quite like this strip.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2023, 09:57:22 AM »

Animal Comics #1
The Whimsy of the cover is typical of Kelly's later work.
Albert takes the cake.
All the moves and characteristics of Kelly's later POGO strip are already here. 
Katonka Flies North
excellent.
Muzzy and Ginger
Well-paced story-telling. the ending almost made me tear up. That's good writing too.
This whole book is much higher quality than most funny animal books.
Thanks Yoc!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2023, 10:15:08 AM »

March of Comics #3 - Featuring M.G.M Our Gang (Dell 1947).
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=13601
Our Gang and the Old House mystery
This is OK, but Kelly's art is more suited to the fantastical/whimsical.
His vision is just too strong. It dominates al the work he does.     
The Adventures of Peter Wheat 1 (NN)
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=12166
Clearly Peter is supposed to be an ear of wheat.
Unlike Pogo, this is not aimed at adults. although adults could enjoy it as well .
The Mole made me think that Kelly could have done a great version of
Kenneth Grahame's 1908 novel The Wind in the Willows.     
Thank you Yoc! Don't be a stranger, you are welcome here anytime.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2023, 10:16:42 AM »

Not sure if Yoc is coming back to close this off, Tomorrow, new books by KIngcat.
Bring it, Bluesman!
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2023, 04:16:15 PM »

Hi Gang,
Thanks for inviting me to the party here.  I hope my choices were fun and educational.  Walt Kelly doesn't need any help when it comes to Pogo but his other works can be missed.

I've just posted about the very sad news of the passing of JVJ on Friday.  You can read it here:
https://comicbookplus.com/forum/index.php?topic=23657.msg90959#msg90959

Meanwhile, Fun News on this sad day.
DCM and OtherEric are planning on a PETER WHEAT Spotlight to commemorate Kelly's 110th Birthday on August 25.  Eric has been working hard on finding, buying and scanning new issues to share on the big day.  Almost all Peter Wheat scans originate from Eric who has been paying more and more for each book as he pursues them.  His dedication to preserving these is commendable.

Stay well everyone,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2023, 04:22:08 PM »

Hi Gang,
Thanks for inviting me to the party here.  I hope my choices were fun and educational.  Walt Kelly doesn't need any help when it comes to Pogo but his other works can be missed.

I've just posted about the very sad news of the passing of JVJ on Friday.  You can read it here:
https://comicbookplus.com/forum/index.php?topic=23657.msg90959#msg90959

Meanwhile, Fun News on this sad day.
DCM and OtherEric are planning on a PETER WHEAT Spotlight to commemorate Kelly's 110th Birthday on August 25.  Eric has been working hard on finding, buying and scanning new issues to share on the big day.  Almost all Peter Wheat scans originate from Eric who has been paying more and more for each book as he pursues them.  His dedication to preserving these is commendable.

Stay well everyone,
-Yoc

I was very sad to hear the bad news about Jim (may he rest in peace).  It was a crushing blow to GA comics fans all over The World.  He'll be sorely missed.  But his work will bring enjoyment to many readers for many years to come.

Yes, the announcement about Other Eric's Walt Kelly project is, indeed, good news.  I'll take a stab at uploading the "Peter Wheat News" issues I have that are not up on CB+.

Thanks for guesting our reading group.  This was a fun and interesting choice of books.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 04:31:16 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2023, 03:03:57 AM »

I'm falling behind. I want to wrap up the Kelly collection before getting to the dinosaurs (unless they get me first).

March of Comics #3 surprised me at first because the Our Gang characters were small town tweens/teens. It's been a good 60 years since I saw some of the shorts on TV, but my vague memory was that they were preteens in a more rural environment. This of course led me to research Our Gang, which proved to be a deep rabbit hole. Among the things I learned was that the shorts, which began in silent movie days, underwent not only many personnel changes (41 kids overall!) but also many changes of ownership. As a result, today three different entities own rights to separate eras of the series. I also learned that the Little Rascals--which I'd thought was the group's original name--was actually a TV-era rebranding. Hal Roach owned a block of Our Gang shorts which he syndicated to television. However MGM owned the Our Gang name so Roach renamed the team The Little Rascals. If you're interested in Hollywood oddities I recommend the Wikipedia article.

Anyway, this comic represents the final days of the MGM era, when Buckwheat was a teen. The MGM shorts weren't well received and the studio released the last one in 1944, three years before this comic was published.

I think I'd have enjoyed this comic greatly if I'd seen it as a kid. It has lots of action, some mystery and some mild spookiness. As an adult I find it a bit disjointed but still likeable. Walt Kelly seems to have created his personal take on the Our Gang team, minimizing comedy and maximizing adventure. I'll accept the convenient coincidences but the story ends with a thud. After all that mayhem and attempted murder, blowing off the treasure map in the last panel isn't fair to the reader.

Kelly's art isn't bad. His semi-realistic people have more personality than did his cartoony folk in the previous offerings. In places he reminds me of Dick Moores, who had a style that deftly combined realistic and cartoon elements.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2023, 05:28:03 AM »

March of Comics #3 - Featuring M.G.M Our Gang (Dell 1947).
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=13601
Our Gang and the Old House mystery
This is OK, but Kelly's art is more suited to the fantastical/whimsical.
His vision is just too strong. It dominates al the work he does.     
The Adventures of Peter Wheat 1 (NN)
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=12166
Clearly Peter is supposed to be an ear of wheat.
Unlike Pogo, this is not aimed at adults. although adults could enjoy it as well .
The Mole made me think that Kelly could have done a great version of
Kenneth Grahame's 1908 novel The Wind in the Willows.     
Thank you Yoc! Don't be a stranger, you are welcome here anytime.

Peter is an ear of wheat!!!  All these years I never thought of that.  What visual clues led you to that conclusion, might I ask?
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2023, 09:10:09 AM »

not visual clues - its not easy to make out what he is from the image, but narrative clues, taken from story #1.
For one thing, since every character in the story is literally what they are seen to be - (beetle, mice,  wasps, a shrew, mole,) and Peter's name is wheat, he is associated with the product Bread and he has wheat-coloured hair, he is either an ear or a grain of wheat in my opinion and grain, to me, would be too small.
Oh Yeah, there is a visual clue. Look at the ad for Klugs Peter Wheat Bread on CB+ page 16. 
Theory, not fact!   
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 09:42:41 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2023, 10:31:25 AM »

not visual clues - its not easy to make out what he is from the image, but narrative clues, taken from story #1.
For one thing, since every character in the story is literally what they are seen to be - (beetle, mice,  wasps, a shrew, mole,) and Peter's name is wheat, he is associated with the product Bread and he has wheat-coloured hair, he is either an ear or a grain of wheat in my opinion and grain, to me, would be too small.
Oh Yeah, there is a visual clue. Look at the ad for Klugs Peter Wheat Bread on CB+ page 16. 
Theory, not fact!   

To me, Peter symbolises The King or Prince of Wheat or The Wheat Fields.  His mother was introduced as a Queen.  So, he is more likely a Prince, who will succeed his mother, and become King when he reaches the age of maturity.  His HAT is a grain of wheat.  But he, himself, is a Human in shape and proportion.  But his size is very small.  So, he must be one of "The Little People" of ancient European (Keltic?) folklore.  He's either a Fairy, or an Elf, who doesn't have wings, and doesn't perform magic, but has knowledge of the small animals' languages.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2023, 02:04:20 PM »

Good to have you here Yoc. I'll pass on this one as I've learned that animal comics just aren't for me but I look forward to more from you in future.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2023, 05:23:35 AM »

When Dark Horse published LITTLE ANNIE FANNY, they had footnotes at the back, explaining who was who in the strip and their current (say 1960’s) claim to fame.

Being sentimental, I’ve stuck with the old re-prints they put out in the 60’s, the ones with the one or two colour covers like I GO POGO. So I don’t know; have the newer editions from, say, Fantagraphics done the same thing as LITTLE ANNIE FANNIE did?

The Fantagraphics hard-bound editions have a notes section at the books' end, that go through the entire two-years covered, for both the daily and weekly strip, providing a one or two paragraph blurb explaining what is happening in each day's or week's strip, and the context behind it, as well as what is being referenced in not-so-effective disguise.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2023, 09:21:43 PM »

DCM and OtherEric are planning on a PETER WHEAT Spotlight to commemorate Kelly's 110th Birthday on August 25

Just wanted to let people know that the books are available on DCM now, and should show up here before too long.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2023, 01:49:22 AM »

Eric beat me to it here.
I'd just add there an introduction to the Walt Kelly / Peter Wheat spotlight at this link.  We'd welcome any comments.

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/index.php/topic,15595.msg84844/topicseen.html#msg84844
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.