in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Grp 304-MLJ's Black Swan1,Super Duck 42 & Adventures Of The Dover Boys 1

Pages: 1 2 [3]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Grp 304-MLJ's Black Swan1,Super Duck 42 & Adventures Of The Dover Boys 1  (Read 1546 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP

QQ posted,
As a movie buff, I like to read about stars of the day 

Doris Day has just married third husband Marty Melcher. 

When ever I see the name 'Melcher' I can't not think of her son, Terry Melcher and his unfortunate connection with Charles Manson.
Terry - who was a major music producer in the 60's, rejected Manson's dream of being a pop star.
In retaliation, Manson sent his team to his house to murder him. However he had rented the house to Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate.
The full story here.
Doris Day’s son Terry Melcher was ‘very paranoid’ after Manson murders, pal reveals in book
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/doris-day-terry-melcher-charles-manson-bill-cassara-book   

A horrible story - which destroyed many lives.     
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP

QQ posted,

When ever I see the name 'Melcher' I can't not think of her son, Terry Melcher and his unfortunate connection with Charles Manson.
Terry - who was a major music producer in the 60's, rejected Manson's dream of being a pop star.
In retaliation, Manson sent his team to his house to murder him. However he had rented the house to Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate.
The full story here.
Doris Day’s son Terry Melcher was ‘very paranoid’ after Manson murders, pal reveals in book
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/doris-day-terry-melcher-charles-manson-bill-cassara-book   

\

I quite agree.  Terry Melcher not only was a record producer and songwriter, but also owner of a very successful music publishing company(T.M. Music), which not only published his own Pop and "Surf" style music for The Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, and his own groups The Ripchords and Bruce (Johnston) and Terry(Melcher), but also had salaried additional writers, like Rudy Clark, who wrote prolifically for a lot of R&B and Soul acts.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP

QQ posted,

The full story here.

Hi Panther

I thought I knew a fair bit about the Manson murders and Sharon Tate, but didn't know of the Terry Melcher connection. Susan Atkins was one of the Manson Family, and I read her book many years ago - 'Child of Satan, Child of God'. She may well have mentioned that, but I read it ages ago and can't remember. Ironic that he was influential with a lot of the California Surf sound and ended up dying from melanoma. A sad story all round.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP

I was doing some work on creators at the GCD and I was surprised at one of the entries. Bails' lists him as the writer of the Three Monkeyteers.

Apparently Scott Feldman (the name he would have been using at the time) was the only confirmed writer on that series, (so the indexer who listed Ed Goggin for the story we read may have just assumed the artist was the writer).

However he's much better known for his post-Archie work and the name he created when he created the Scott Meredith Literary Agency. https://www.comics.org/creator/11980/

Just an interesting curiosity.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP

Black Swan Comics 1
As stated above, this reprint is mostly filled with ALL the comedy features from the first of "Laugh Comix" issues (#46), together with a DIFFERENT lead story of The Black Hood (from Top-Notch Laugh Comics #42), which again pretends to have The Black Hood introduce each of the new book's new comedy features. Advertising that it's a Pirate-related book, with not even one inner page about pirates is not a good way to sell books.

(1) The Black Hood - Man Of Mystery

I agree that this MLJ series is their attempt to hop on the bandwagon of Blue Beetle's popularity, also varying him from that popular star mystery man with yet  another copycat move of making his alter-ego identity a policeman.  He's yet another defender of The American's people's rights to live in an atmosphere bereft of criminal activities.  His series was leftover from MLJ's Superhero comic book series, "Top Notch Comics", to its transition ("Top Notch-Laugh Comics") from that genre to becoming a Comedy Series "Laugh Comix".  It took them a couple issues to drop ALL the other non-comedy series, but they were reluctant to drop this book series' lead feature.  He was held over to introduce the various new comedy series.

THIS issue's story is quite mundane and run-of-the-mill mystery man fare.  His alter-ego, "front identity", police officer, Kip Burland, has just been reinstated to his old street beat position. Both he, and his private detective agency partner, female lead, Barbara, are used to introduce their business situation, and also Burland's situation as a mystery public hero/ and policeman and history, in their dialogues.  This makes the dialogue unnatural, stilted, and boring.  The plotline, itself is fairly boring, given that the "mystery" of who committed the murder, and why, was revealed too early, especially because no red herrings were used to increase the suspect pool to keep some suspense.  The reader knew the outcome, and could predict the next story event.  The only reasonably inventive element in the story was Black Hood's figuring out how "Mystic" Kaimar's projector worked, and we saw how he would use it to call him out as a phony.  Most of these problems  come from a lack in number of pages and panel space to show plot events.  But THAT is, in turn, the problem that the editor wanted to keep this non-comedy feature as lead story to capitalise on the old genre's and lead character's popularity, but, at the same time, didn't want to encroach more on his firm's wish to change the book series' genre to comedy.  So, BOTH aims suffered.

(2) The Twiddles
This seems to be a really "poor-mans' " Blondie and Dagwood attempted copy, with not much creative spark.
Talbert has both of the weakling traits of Dagwood, but none of his endearing traits.  So. I can see why this feature (and most copycat features) didn't succeed at gaining popularity, and help make their new books succeed.  The eventual success of Laugh Comics, resulted solely from becoming entirely filled with Archie-spawned characters and features.  A comedy-dominated comic book, with a front cover attracting Pirate and action-based story fans, NOT including ANY Pirate stories, and the one action-based mystery man hero story is very humdrum.  Not a good way to sell more books.

(3) Dotty and Ditto
Dottie is cute, and her cowgirl character is a reasonably good idea for a series.  Her parrot, Ditto, has a funny character design, and would have worked well as a clever, ironic, acerbic, and funny quip commentator, such as Groucho Marx.  Unfortunately, most of the parrot's comments aren't funny, and he was also partly wasted by not being used in the action, as well.  A talking parrot is a rare opportunity to use anthropomorphism in a non-funny animal comedy series.  What a shame!  The story's artwork employs an interesting stylised, style, and the plot involved some decent action.  But, overall there is nothing really "catchy" to grab the reader.

(4) Pokey Oakey
This seems to me a weak attempt to clone Li'l Abner(which I don't find very funny, in any case).  It just doesn't seem inspired, at all, being totally made up of attempts to copy characters and plotlines.  The ending gag is also neither very humerous nor ironic.  The artwork is decent; but that alone isn't enough to carry the feature.  He doesn't have a regular ladyfriend, yet.  And, I suppose we should give a new series a chance to develop.  But, I have read many of this features "episodes' in other issues, and never liked it.

(5) Gloomy Gus
As I stated above, when I first read the first page of this features introduction episode, I felt like it had a great setup for an interesting series.  It could have been something new and inventive, taking advantage of the very strong, serious, emotional identification we all have with the issue of death we all will eventually have to face, and combining that with a comedic look at it, forming a black comedy, with a non-realistic, slapstick art style, sometimes whimsical attitude, and fantastic,non-realistic supernatural action. 

Unfortunately Artist Red Holmdale, and/or whoever wrote the stories, didn't take advantage of most of those opportunities to make this a much more memorable series.  I still like it, somewhat, for what is; but I'd have liked it a lot more, if it had gone much further along that road. 

I DO appreciate the rhyming form of the opening narrative (which, if I remember correctly, was unfortunately, NOT used to open each episode). I think the introduction to Gus and his guardian angel, Gabby, was well done.  But, I also agree with the other poster's having major problems with Gabby, a supposedly non-earthbound, non-Human, celestial character, supposedly non-dependent upon, and not supposed to be subject to The Earth's physical laws, displayed with a seemingly "solid" form, as living Humans, while Gus is correctly (in comic book convention) portrayed with dashed inked outlines, and coloured in very light turquoise blue, to indicate a state of not belonging on Earth, and not needing to follow its physical laws' dictates.  That being the case, as pointed out above by those same posters, it is problematic for the reader to see BOTH celestial beings, Gus and Gabby, affected by Earthly physical events, such as not only being trampled by horses, but in bodily pain because of that.  So, the entire premise of the series has its "credibility" destroyed on its first and second pages.  Not a very good start.

Gus finally gets his living human body, becoming the Western town's sheriff, by accident, in a highly expected clichéd way.  That is a good setup for his next episode's adventure, in his ongoing saga.

I DO, however enjoy Red Holmdale's artwork in this series much more than in his other MLJ comedy series, mainly for his wild slapstick action scenes and exaggerated facial expressions.  Overall this is one of my favourite MLJ/Archie comedy series, despite its deficiencies, and lack of "guts" to become a Black Comedy" classic.

(6) Suzie

Air-headed Suzie gets hired (mainly for her looks) by a beauty Salon operator, to look good in a demonstration show.  On her own initiative,  she tries to fix or ready some machines for use, causing several disasters for her prospective colleague employees, and her boss, and is fired in the end.  This is a dull story full of clichéd jokes and gags, cartoony, slapstick, but not very funny humour.  The artwork isn't much to my liking.  So Suzie doesn't look all that good.  So, it was a boring read.

(7) Stupidman and The 3 Monkeyteers

This story's splash panel tells it all! - amateurish, weak, lousy artwork.  An infantile, poorly-thought out premise, and silly dialogue and puns.  Everything (including the artwork) gets worse on Page 2, except the plot, which becomes a little more promising, letting us know that the apparent superhero, Stupidman, has been turned into a toddler by an evil villain.  The witch neighbour of the 3 monkeyteers takes Stupidman into her house (cave) to try to restore him to his former adult form.  She gives him a drink brewed from fireworks skyrockets, and he is magically restored to his former size.  The evil mayor threatens Stupidman that he'll reveal his secret to the people.  Stupidman cowers in fear.  On the last page of this continuing saga, a shadowy figure arrives on Main Street, in a battleship.  We need to read the next issue of Laugh Comix to find out that Stupidman has a tail (because there will be no more issues of Black Swan Comics).  Not many laughs, amateurish artwork, silly plot.  Not my kind of comedy or entertainment.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 05:28:50 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Robb_K

• VIP

Super Duck 42
I chose this particular issue because I feel that the end of 1951 beginning of 1952 was probably the height of Fagaly's career in terms of drawing style and story writing quality, a little after that of Carl Barks' 1949-52.  I wrote a lot in posts above about the history of Super Duck Comics and its principal artist and storywriter, Al Fagaly.  So, I'll stick mostly to analysing this book's stories, and features, and the issue, as a whole.

(1) Super Duck - "Once Upon A Crime"
The titlebar's inclusion of the wanted poster for jewel robber, Sam Quenton is very nice.  He looks quite menacing (as if he'd have no qualms about rubbing out any victim, copper, or private detective who'd get in his way on a caper.  "Supe" is proudly wearing the legacy of his West Tyrolian heritage, of lederhosen and a Tyrolian feathered hat (which has grown from its early and mid 1940s proper size, to so big that it has almost morphed into a Fedora.  He is further distinguished from his distant "cousin", Donald, by actually having $5,000 US Dollars cash on his person, and incredibly paying it all to a Jeweler for a real, high quality diamond bracelet for his highly demanding, high-maintenance ladyfriend.  That would be like spending $54,000 US, £43,000 UK, or €50,000.  That is more than I ever earned in any year I worked!  I wouldn't give such a gift even to someone I loved, let alone someone like that selfish, bitchy Uwanna (girlfriend of his)!

Not only is that something Donald would NEVER do, but Donald only ever had that amount of cash on him when he was working in his rich, Uncle Scrooge's Money Bin, or running around gather millions of Dollars off the ground after a tornado had blown all Scrooge's money out of the gigantic open-topped corn crib he stored it in, in 1951, while he was farming out in the countryside.  Supe skips gaily over the streets towards his lady love's house to present it to her.  So, Fagaly is here doing his job of not only making Donald's physical looks different enough from Donald's, but he's also making at least some aspects of his character different.  Good thing, too, as he still has his quick temper, quickness to jump to conclusions, much too high ego, overestimation of his own knowledge and abilities, etc.

When he arrives, he gets angry when he finds out Uwanna must babysit her gigantic young nephew.  So Supe calls up a babysitting service.  Luck has it that the wanted jewel thief(looking for a place to hide from the police) is just outside and overhears their conversation.  This TWO-TRACK coincidence story is an excellent
plot-generator for making interesting stories, that Barks often used.  The criminal dresses up like a woman, posing as the service's babysitter, and the happy couple leave for an evening's entertainment.  Of course, the youthful ball of destruction (nephew) is wayyyy too much even for the tough villain to handle.  And after forcing the criminal to "play a game" with him, big little Buster knocks the villain unconscious.  Hearing the noise of the villain's explosion from trying to open Uwannas safe, to steal the bracelet, Supe and Uwanna return.  Supe, who hates Buster, actually calls Buster a murderer, and menace to society, who should "get the electric chair"!!!  (wouldn't have gotten past The Comics Code, a mere 3 years later!)  -And he runs to bring a policeman, so the kid can be arrested!!!  That may be a very idiotic thing to say in front of his ladyfriend (especially one you've just spent $54,000 on), but, at least it's a way Supe can get the bracelet back, - thrown at his face!  Of course, with Barksian irony, the ending has Buster receiving the $1,000 reward for the villain's capture.  And the selfish, egotistic, shortsighted, and jealous Super Duck seems angry not only that the kid gets the money, but even more, that he doesn't go off to jail, so that he can enjoy time alone with his ladyfriend the few times she'd otherwise have to babysit.  These are NOT likeable characters (to say the least).  Which is a big reason why Super Duck's following was many times smaller than Donald's.  But Supe's hubrus and self-righteousness must have appealed to many of his fans. All, in all, I thought it was a very entertaining story, worthy of Barks having written it (although some of its hard edges (such as the electric chair crack wouldn't be in HIS version).  :D

(2) Super Duck - "Love's Labor Lost"
Uwanna invites (commands) that Supe take her to a benefit that Pathetic University (Old P.U.) is giving to raise money to rebuild the main building that her nephew, Buster, tore down during a tantrum or "experiment".  The geeky, ugly young woman living next door to Supe's house is also looking for a date to take her to that dance.  Can you all predict a two-track story with their paths crossing, that will lead to some sort of catastrophe for Super Duck? - with a good chance for him to show off his temper?  I already see several Barkslike panels with Supe running away and hiding from the predatory woman. Lots of great animation-style action.  In a very Barkslike, Donaldlike move, Supe, who just happens to have a giant cat costume in his attic, dresses up in it to venture outside to stay out of the woman's view, to get back to the telephone, to confirm the date with Uwanna.  But that attempt is foiled by the neighbour's bulldog, who thinks Supe is a real house cat. Unfortunately, the story ends there......... greatly disappointing me, and probably thousands of other readers, who wanted to see him at the dance with the neighbour, with her stamping hard on his toes while dancing, and then chasing him into the garden where they could "make out", all the while with Uwanna following, throwing hard and heavy objects at him for standing her up for another woman.

(3) Cubby The Bear - "A Feather In Your Bonnet"

Red Holmdale's art is lousy in this one, and his story plot, staging, and dialogues (e.g. writing) is even worse.  'Nuff Said!  Even a 4-year old wouldn't believe that scores of people would wait in a long line outside the Rodeo Arena entrance, to buy a mock (ersatz) Native American Great Plains tribal chieftan eagle feather headdress made from feather duster feathers to wear while watching that event.  Did Holmdale actually make a living from producing such drivel???

(4) Super Duck - "It's A Bum's Deal"
This is a typical Barks plot.  Supe, desperate for money, is jealous of a millionaire visiting Duckville during "Be-Kind-To-Hoboes-Week", and reads in the newspaper about his plan to give a prize of a large amount of money away to the kindest man he'll meet there.  just like Donald would, Supe hatches a plan to get that money.  So, he goes to The Hobo Jungle and offers one a half dollar.  The Hobo is insulted, grabs Supe's wallet, and takes ALL his cash bills.  On his way back through Downtown, Supe sees another hobo standing next to the millionaire's limousine.  Jumping to a conclusion, he thinks the hobo is really the millionaire, and wants to take a ride in the car.  The hobo tells him he can, and jumps in.  The Hobo gets him to race alongside a freight train, and jumps onto it, leaving the police chasing Supe driving the stolen car.  He soon drives it off a bridge, into the river.  Luckily for him, on his way walking back to town, Supe sees the millionaire, and offers him to come to his house for a meal.  Supe cooks him the meal, offers him fine cigars, and some of his clothing (funny, because they should be way too small for the larger man).  Then Supe opens his giant rolling safe (what's that doing in an ordinary person's house???) and hands the millionaire the deed to his house.  The millionaire is very impressed.  But when Supe asks for his $million reward, the rich man informs him the bad news that he's already given the prize away.  In a fit, hothead Super Duck jumps on the man choking him.  Of course, just that second, a policeman comes running up to arrest him.  As Supe demands the deed to his house be returned to him, the officer examines it and agrees it belongs to the millionaire (Supe must have signed it over to him, and the new owner signed on as new owner.  Supe is carried off to jail.  In the last panel, we see Supe dressed in rags, with blind people's glasses, begging on the street, trying to take advantage of what time is left in "Be Kind To Hobos week".  Nice, ironic ending.  Kind of nasty millionaire who would punish a Golddigger for trying to unjustly win a prize, by keeping the man's house.  But the morals are somewhat right in that Supe (who could afford to pay out $5000 cash for a gift) was doing wrong by unjustly trying to steal a prize away from a deserving person.  It would have made more sense for the millionaire to dress up as a hobo to find the kindest man.  But, the story still works decently, showing that rich people are often eccentric, and downright stupid at times.

(5) Super Duck - "The Pick Of The Crop"
A perfect Donald Duck story!  Supe sells his house to buy an orange tree farm in Latin America, in a poorly-thought-out scheme to become rich.  His little brother, Fauntleroy takes the part of Huey, Dewey, and Louie, warning him against such folly.  But Supe, like Donald, overestimates his own capabilities, and moves ahead with his plan, anyway.  All the labourers in the nearest town run away when Supe asks them to work in his orange grove.  So Supe is determined that he and Faunt will pick all the oranges.   Supe meets a freakish 6-armed man in a tree, who seemed glad to take baskets to pick the oranges.  instead of being grateful to have one picker who can pick as much as three, the hothead Super Duck slugs the man in his face.  Then he comes running back with a shotgun apparently to threaten him and make him leave, or to murder him.  Some protagonist for a little kid's story, eh?  Now I'm surprised that Archie Series dared to continue publishing their "Super Duck" series after 1954.  I guess Dr. Wertham never looked at this series, thinking it was a "harmless" funny animal series like those published by Disney.  Failing to move the man, who keeps him away by clobbering him with hundreds of oranges, Supe prepares a trough of quick-drying cement to trap the man.  But the man simply walks upside down on his hands and climbs back into a tree.  So, a defeated Supe sells his grove to the man who offered to buy it before. The new owner, seeing that the"freak" just wanted to pick the oranges, hires him, and drives his car through the grove with the 6-armed man picking the oranges at lightening speed.  Supe is again frustrated and jealous.  And the brutish so-called protagonist irrationally blames Faunt for all his misery even though his brother warned him the entire time NOT to sell his house and buy the orange grove.  The pair returns the several thousand miles on foot, with Super Duck pounding his defenceless little brother on his head all they along.  I wonder why this story never bothered me?  Super Duck is WORSE than many comic book series that were unapproved in 1954 and forced to be shut down.  Good thing for Archie that none of the reviewers from the complainants looked through ALL of The 65 or so "Super Duck" issues story pages that had been issued by that time.

(6) Super Duck - "He Goes From Bed To Worse"
An okay gag-driven 2-Pager that is mildly funny.  Nice artwork, as usual, with Supe's Grandma Duck looking and acting EXACTLY like Barks' Donald's Grandma Duck.  Not exactly worried about plagiarism here.  But, Grandma was used fairly seldomly.  So, it wasn't a problem.

All in all a satisfying book for a funny animal fan, and an interesting read for the fans of comic book history, who didn't know who Al Fagaly was, or who didn't know that Super Duck was a selfish, heartless, inconsiderate brute, who deserved the toxic co-dependent relationship he had with his similarly defective ladyfriend.  But poor Fauntleroy didn't deserve his fate to be an orphan subject to his brutal brother's custody until his age of majority.  Or maybe they weren't orphans, but just ran away from their monstrous eldest son, without taking the time to think of taking their helpless infant child, Fauntleroy, with them?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 05:24:24 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP

Adventures Of The Dover Boys
This Archie Comics Publication was published by its Close-Up, Inc. subsidiary, which also published "Suzie", and seemed that it possibly operated semi-autonomously within The MLJ/Archie Group, given that this Dover Boys book has no Archie Series logo on its front cover, and no reference at all to Archie Publications in the indicia, including copyright reference, unlike almost all Archie-related series' books by 1951.  Maybe Close-Up was an existing magazine or pulp  novel publisher before MLJ bought it, and was only a half-owned subsidiary (co-owned with the former sole owners)?

The Dover Boys was really just a continuation of The Rover Boys (under a new name).  It had an oft-used formula for reasonably young adolescent boys to partake in World travel and a grown man's adventures, by having the two boys have an uncle, who is a World-travelling adventurer, who earns his living from selling archaeological artifacts and treasures to museums (and probably off-the-record, to super-wealthy private collectors).  In this book, Tim and Dan are now ages 17 and 18, so, they are old enough for their Uncle to consider letting them accompany him on some his overseas trips.  This story is divided up into tiny 2 to chapters of 4 to 5 pages, which leaves the impression that it might have originally been a newspaper strip adapted to comic book format. 

Chapter 1 - Peril Of The Inca Treasure
Uncle Bill returns from Peru with archaeological treasures to sell.  The Boys are jealous, and beg him to take them along on his return trip.  Their Aunt Martha doesn't like that idea.  While The Boys and their Uncle are at wealthy businessman, Silas Croombs mansion, asking him to finance additional search for The Inca Treasure, a turban-headed Native Peruvian stalks their house, and throws a knife into the uncle's back.  No Peruvians wore Turbans during Inca times, nor in the present.  Also, the native's face looks nothing-at-all like a Peruano. The artist should have researched those details.  Apparently, there were no travelling Peruano street-performing flautists, back in 1951.  Western Europe's big city streets and California beaches were full of them back before The pandemic.  8)

Chapter 2 - Wings of Doom
uncle Bill's wound is bad enough to keep him from returning to Peru, right away.  But, seeing that the main treasure items he brought home were stolen by The Peruvian, Bill is forced to get the money for continuing the treasure search from Croombs.  The wily old man tricks Dover into showing his map of where the treasure should be, then refuses to lend him the money, and sends a hit-man type thug along with his son, to Peru, to beat him to the treasure.  It's difficult for me to believe the adoptive parents of 18 and 17-year old boys would let them travel to a far-away country on their own and fly his expensive plane on little experience and a "junior pilot's license", in  any situation, but ESPECIALLY after they find out from the airfield's mechanic that Croombs' son and a tough-looking man took off in a plane just before them.  The bullets being fired from Croombs' plane seem to come from the planes engines.  Is THAT where they come out on a military jet fighter?  Why does Croombs happen to own one? - Or, do airfield's rent jet fighter planes to civilians???  Good suspense point for the end of the chapter, with Croombs' plane attacking The Dover Boys' plane, still high in the sky.

Chapter 3 - Lost In The Jungle
The Dover Boys dive into the clouds to avoid being shot down and killed, but arrive in Peru after Croombs, after a stop, repairing their plane. They ride mules through mountain passes to Uncle Bill's guide's home.  The guide lies inside the ransacked cabin, wounded.  Croombs and his thug bribed the rest of Bill's regular crew, and took all the expedition's supplies. The Boys and guide follow the map towards the treasure digging spot. No major problems to point out or praise to give here.

Chapter 4 - Molten Death
Deep in the forest, in a "lost" mountain valley, traditionally-clad tribesmen shouting, surround The Dovers and guide to kill them, but shouting for their ancient Inca god, Atahualpa, suddenly run away in terror, the opposite direction, after seeing the faces of 2 evil gods, Atahualpa and Pachacamac.  They were just masks worn by an archaeologist/professor/museum director and his beautiful young daughter (do these comic books aimed at pre-teen and young teen boys EVER have the professor's daughter be a "homely" or ugly one?).  The Professor and daughter join The Dovers and continue towards the guessed treasure location. That night, at The Professor's camp, the Incas kidnap the girl, and The Dovers chase after them to a hidden narrow ravine, ending in a deep cave, which ends in the caldera of a live volcano.  Are there really any currently active volcanoes in Andean Peru???  I haven't heard of any.  Of course, to add great urgency and suspense, the savage Inca warriors plan to toss the girl into the volcano, as a sacrifice to their demanding god. Naturally, the last panel has the Inca priest knife in hand, raised to stab the helpless girl. I guess it is okay for Americans to travel down to Peru and steal their ancient archaeological/historical artifacts and treasures, because The locals are primitive savages, who worship ancient "false gods, who command them to murder innocent people as sacrifices to appease their anger and blood lust.

Chapter 5 - The Power Of The Evil Eye
To distract the Priest from stabbing, The Dovers push a giant boulder into the volcano mouth, splashing lava and toxic gasses upward towards The Incas, who run away in terror.  Only The Priest and two guards remain by the girl.  The Boys fight off the two guards free Carol, and run towards the tunnel exit.  But, The Incas return, and capture them, and toss The 3 Westerners into a tiny cave, serving as a cell.  They find Croomb there.  The Priest and the guards take The Boys, Carol and Croombs back to the volcano mouth.  Just as they are about to lower Carol on a wooden raft into the molten lava, Tim catches The Priest's attention by claiming he has the power of The Evil Eye.  Some good suspense, but I think the 2 different trips to the caldera to kill Carol is too repetitive, and slows down the action moving towards the climax, and adds nothing of value.

Chapter 6 - Treasure Trove
inside the relatively dark glowing lava-lit cave, Tim shines his torch/flashlight directly into The Priest's eyes.  While the tribesmen are held at bay, transfixed by the light beam, Dan frees Carol from her ropes, and they head for the tunnel.  For added suspense, Carol twists her ankle, as the tribesmen follow, tossing spears at them.  Just as The Good Guys realise that they are doomed, a pistol shot stops everyone in their tracks.  The Professor and Guide have arrived.  The Heroes duck into a tunnel leading into a labyrinth of tunnels where the Incas lose their trail, and, by accident, they come to the cave where the bulk of The Inca Treasure has lain for centuries.  But, of course, this is a comic book, so everything has to happen at once.  The Volcano starts shaking violently, and booming sounds echo, the beginning of an eruption.  They race to get out from the mountain's insides, carrying only a couple pieces of the treasure, and a large diamond Carol had put in her pocket.  Before her father could tell her that it isn't really a diamond, Croombs' Thug (Mike Foster) points a gun at her, and takes it.  Tim and Dan follow him as he leaves, only to see him killed by an avalanche of boulders from the volcano's eruption. The Professor explains that it was just obsidian glass.

Overall Assessment
A bit slow-moving, but entertaining story.  A bit clichéd, and silly and farfetched in spots.  The artwork is decent, but the colouring could have been better.  A decent amount of suspense.  Worth the reading, if not really all that memorable.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 12:03:12 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP

Black Swan Comics 1
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=22594

I'm going to stick my neck out here and make a deduction.
Given that;-
> The comic is Black Swan #1
> There are no pirate stories in it.
> It was a one-shot
> That cover is awesome.
It think it's possible that the cover was commissioned for a Pirate book. Which was canceled and it was decided that the cover was too good not to use, so a book was published with whatever came to hand for the contents.
I would have bought it because of the cover and been severely disappointed.
A reprint of this book is listed on Amazon for $39.00 but an auction site has the original for .10c. Go figure.
I looked this up on DCM but there's no mention of the cover artist. Dang! I would really like to know.   
The Black Hood - man of mystery.
I note that the first page is an ad for the Radio show, which the company likely got more revenue from than they did from the comic. 
Nothing much to way about this one that hasn't already been said. 
The Twiddles
I like the art here.   
Bill Woggon
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Bill_Woggon
I knew I had heard that mane before.
He was the Katy Keene man. 
Not my type of comic tho, so I never read it.
But I'm pretty sure he did other work for MLJ.
Talbert is much more hen-pecked than dagwood and Tootsie is thoroughly unlikable.
Dotty and Ditto.
A different art style from Bill Woggon. He was quite the chameleon.
The ending of this indicates it was part of a continuing narrative.
Was it from Big Chief Wahoo, I wonder?   
Very educational, tho, I learned a lot about horses.   
Pokey Oakey - by Don Dean.
Lil Abner was hugely popular and inspired quite a few copiers. Hard to believe now, I know. 
Pretty average Abner type story.
Gloomy Gus
Doesn't do much for me.
Suzie
How old is the 'Walk this way,' gag?
Some good visual slapstick.
Light entertainment.   
STUDIDMAN
Looking at page 1, it's clear that the artist has a good grasp of anatomy and can actually draw quite well.
But he seems to think that it enhances the comedy if he deliberately draws badly. It doesn't. If the artist was Ed Goggin, he may have been more of a writer than an artist. Aside to Ed, 'I wouldn't have signed it!'
STUPID is not really a man, nor apparently is anybody else in the story apart from the guy he king-hits on page one.
The three monkeyteers are in about only 2 panels and have nothing further to do with the story.
The 'dream' has nothing to do with the story after page #!.I could go on.
As a narrative, this is nothing more than a doodle.
A complete mess with no redeeming feature. 
Conclusion?
There was a book needed for the publishing schedule and so a book was published with whatever came to hand for the contents. Probably not the first time in comic book history that that kind of decision was made, but probably in this case, with the worst results. The only redeeming feature was the cover.
Thanks Robb!   

« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 08:59:35 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP

Bill Woggon
But I'm pretty sure he did other work for MLJ.

I know he did, at least, one early Betty & Veronica story.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP

Black Swan Comics 1
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=22594

I'm going to stick my neck out here and make a deduction.
Given that;-
> The comic is Black Swan #1
> There are no pirate stories in it.
> It was a one-shot
> That cover is awesome.
It think it's possible that the cover was commissioned for a Pirate book. Which was canceled and it was decided that the cover was too good not to use, so a book was published with whatever came to hand for the contents.
I would have bought it because of the cover and been severely disappointed.
A reprint of this book is listed on Amazon for $39.00 but an auction site has the original for .10c. Go figure.
I looked this up on DCM but there's no mention of the cover artist. Dang! I would really like to know.   
The Black Hood - man of mystery.
I note that the first page is an ad for the Radio show, which the company likely got more revenue from than they did from the comic. 
Nothing much to way about this one that hasn't already been said. 
The Twiddles
I like the art here.   
Bill Woggon
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Bill_Woggon
I knew I had heard that mane before.
He was the Katy Keene man. 
Not my type of comic tho, so I never read it.
(1) But I'm pretty sure he did other work for MLJ.
Talbert is much more hen-pecked than Dagwood and Tootsie is thoroughly unlikable.
Dotty and Ditto.
A different art style from Bill Woggon. He was quite the chameleon.
The ending of this indicates it was part of a continuing narrative.
Was it from Big Chief Wahoo, I wonder?   
Very educational, tho, I learned a lot about horses.   
Pokey Oakey - by Don Dean.
Lil Abner was hugely popular and inspired quite a few copiers. Hard to believe now, I know. 
Pretty average Abner type story.
Gloomy Gus
Doesn't do much for me.
Suzie
(2) How old is the 'Walk this way,' gag? 
Back later!

(1) Woggon worked on many different MLJ series during the early and mid 1940s, especially much of their comedy output, but also several action-based series, as well.  He worked well into the late '40s for Archie Publications series.

(2) I've seen that gag used in Burlesque and back in Vaudeville as well.  I'd be amazed if it wasn't also performed regularly in British Music Hall variety shows in the early 1900s, and even during the 1880s and '90s (and perhaps in travelling Minstrel Shows in The Old West of USA, Canada, and The Outback of Australia during their frontier days of the mid to late 1800s.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP

I've seen that gag used in Burlesque and back in Vaudeville as well.  I'd be amazed if it wasn't also performed regularly in British Music Hall variety shows in the early 1900s, and even during the 1880s and '90s (and perhaps in traveling Minstrel Shows in The Old West of USA, Canada, and The Outback of Australia during their frontier days of the mid to late 1800s. 

Here is another one of the same vintage.
"My wife has gone to the West Indies."
"Jamaica?'
"No, she went of her own accord!"
Drums!

A new choice tomorrow!

ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.