in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Readin'?

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Readin'?  (Read 152534 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Watcha Readin'?
« Reply #575 on: May 02, 2022, 10:40:20 AM »

Verne was highly prolific.
Jules Verne bibliography
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Verne_bibliography

Some of those filmed [apart from those mentioned by Prof] are:-
Around the World in Eighty Days
Five Weeks in a Balloon
From the Earth to the Moon
The Mysterious Island 
Robur the Conqueror
The Green Ray

Classics illustrated also did,
Off on a Comet
and one listed here as 'the steam house' as 
'Tigers and Traitors'
Its always been a mystery to me that when there are titles available like,
A floating city
The Underground City; Or, The Black Indies
(Sometimes Called The Child of the Cavern)

Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon
The Archipelago on Fire
[a recent French  comic adaption exists]
The Purchase of the North Pole [third and last Baltimore Gun Club novel]
The Carpathian Castle [ may have inspired Bram Stoker to write Dracula]
An Antarctic Mystery [Response to Poe's 'Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym']
Propeller Island
Master of the World
Invasion of the Sea

Many are available on Project Gutenberg.
I'm astounded that film companies have not, to my knowledge, filmed any of these.
It goes without saying that Verne's work has been a hugh influence on comic book scenarios.
so much of it was endless descriptions of sea life and vegetation the travellers saw. It read like a a textbook. The underlying story was rather weak and was buried by the travelogue.

But of course, Verne was writing before TV, Radio and before photographs could be published on printed paper. He introduced the world to places, people, concepts and ideas that were brand new and exotic at that time. And we read the whole story, forgetting that Verne published weekly episodes of serials, a different reading experience entirely.       

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #576 on: May 02, 2022, 10:05:51 PM »

If this were FB, it would be so easy to post images.  Unfortunately, a lot of the covers I have came from Ebay and the like, so it's nearly-impossible for me to post covers of many of these.

TESOROS DE CUENTOS CLASICOS  (Editorial Sea / Novaro / Mexico)

#42 (Feb'61) - ROBUR EL CONQUISTADOR
#82 (Jun'64) - EL CORREO DEL ZAR  (The Mail Of The Czar)
#83 (Jul'64) - LA VICTORIA DE MIGUEL STROGOFF  (The Victory Of Michael Strogoff)

We had a copy of Michael Strogoff around here somewhere for decaces... but the last time I looked, I couldn't find it.

I do have a videotape copy of "SOLDIER AND THE LADY" (1937), which is an adaptation of "Michael Strogoff", though.

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #577 on: May 02, 2022, 10:25:58 PM »

I CLASSICI A FUMETTI  (Gino Sansoni Editore  /  Milano  /  Italy)

#21 (Jan'70) - DALLA TERRA ALLA LUNA  (FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON)

MINIMONDO:  I CLASSICI  A FUMETTI   (AMZ Editrice  /  Milano  /  Italy)

#2 (Jul'77) - IL GIRO DEL MONDO IN 80 GIORNI  (Around The World In 80 Days)

JOYAS LITERARIAS JUVENILES   (Editorial Bruguera  /  Barcelona,  Spain)

#1 (1970) - MIGUEL STROGOFF
#4 (1970) - 20.000 LEGUAS DE VIAJE SUBMARINO

(There's 269 issues in this run, I haven't gotten arond to indexing the rest of it for myself.)

NOW AGE BOOKS (Pendulum Press)

(??) - 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA
(Jun'74) - JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH
(1974) - THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND

NOVELAS INMORTALES   (Novedades Editores  /  Mexico)

#26 (1978) - EL GRAN ESCAPE   (The Blockade Runners)
#28 (1978) - LA ESTIRPE DE LOS INCAS   (The Street Of The Incas)
#43 (1978) - TRAGICO RESCATE   (Tragic Rescue)
#53 (1978) - LA VOLUNTAD DEL MUERTO   (The Will Of The Dead)
#82 (1979) - UN SECRETO DEL MAR   (A Secret Of The Sea) (The Waif Of The Cynthia)
#187 (Jun 17, 1981) - LA VUELTA AL MUNDO EN 80 DAYS   (Around The World In 80 Days)
#267 (Dec 29, 1982) - FAMILIA SIN NOMBRE   (Family Without A Name)
#270 (Jan 19, 1983) - LA JANGADA   (Eight Hundred Leagues On The Amazon)
     (La Jangada - Huit Cents lieues sur l'Amazone)
#304 (1983) - LOS HIJOS DEL CAPITAN GRANT   (The Children Of Captain Grant)
#309 (Oct 19, 1983) - LA CAZA DE METEORO   (The Meteor House / Off On A Comet)
#313 (Nov 16, 1983) - LA ISLA MISTERIOSA   (The Mysterious Island)
#324 (Feb 1, 1984) - DUENO DEL MUNDO   (Master Of The World)
#333 (1984) - DE LA TIERRA A LA LUNA   (From The Earth To The Moon)
#338 (May 9, 1984) - CLOVIS DARDENTOR
#341 (May 30, 1984) - LA MISION BARSAC   (The Barsac Mission)
#350 (Aug 1, 1984) - EL DOCTOR OX.   (The Doctor Ox.)
#356 (Sep 12, 1984) - LOS VIAJES DE MARCO POLO   (The Travels Of Marco Polo)
#360 (Oct 10, 1984) - CRISTOBAL COLON   (Christopher Columbus)

I'm sure there's lots more...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 10:28:22 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 07:46:39 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #579 on: May 06, 2022, 11:06:25 AM »

I'm currently reading Dave Stevens' 'Rocketeer', a complete edition in German, published by Cross Cult.

A wonderful book, a hardcover, with many extras, there is an editorial review of the comic with a detailed history of the character's origins, the whole thing is supplemented by exclusive bonus material and a comprehensive cover gallery. And to top it off, Dave Stevens' brilliant comic has been completely recolored by artist Laura Martin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocketeer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Stevens
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #580 on: May 06, 2022, 06:00:58 PM »

I found quite a few of the Rocketeer comics online recently. Read through most I could find.
I'm surprised they haven't made more than the one movie. In fact it could stand for a TV series or at least mini-series.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #581 on: May 06, 2022, 06:14:25 PM »

It seems Rocketeer never really went away. IDW kept him alive for awhile with several limited series. Quality and art ranged from very good to just plain awful! But, any Rocketeer was better than none at all. I just bought two new IDW issues , "Rocketeer, The Great Race", but won't read them until I have the complete series. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #582 on: May 07, 2022, 03:47:34 AM »

I believe 'Rocketeer the great race' which is currently an on-going series, exists because there is a projected new Rocketeer movie in the pipeline.
THE ROCKETEER Is Returning with a Disney+ Movie
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/rocketeer-returning-disney-movie-223536792.html
Unfortunately, as you can see, its story-line has been changed so it is politically correct, and WOKE friendly  as is happening now with everything Disney is doing.
Expect them to begin editing and changing the older cartoons and movies.
I wish I was kidding.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #583 on: May 07, 2022, 06:36:02 AM »

You're possibly right, Panther. Unfortunately, when studios fiddle with films or series with an established fan base, nothing good comes of it. I realize they are trying to expand the base, but almost always succeed in pissing off the loyal fans and destroy the elements that made the project successful in the first place!
I'm not sure being PC is anything new to Disney. Usually, anything stronger than a PG film was released by Touchstone or another subsidiary studio, thus sparing the Disney "image". And they appear to be in a bit of a row with the state of Florida over this very thing.
Do I mind that the proposed new film will star a Black Rocketeer? Of course not! But I do not want the film to lose the spirit of the original character, just to make it "better".
I'm not so sure that the term "political correctness" needs to always have a negative connotation. I believe in kindness to all, politeness and good manners, and inclusion. If that makes me PC, then I'm guilty as charged. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #584 on: May 07, 2022, 04:01:47 PM »

I've been a huge Rocketeer fan from the start.  Bowers is right about the fluctuations in the quality of the art but the whole Rocketeer idea is a great one.  Whether I want to go to a Rocketeer movie is a different matter.  Playing down the style of the original comics, and the movie, will put me off.
"I'm not so sure that the term "political correctness" needs to always have a negative connotation. I believe in kindness to all, politeness and good manners, and inclusion. If that makes me PC, then I'm guilty as charged."  Bowers. 
You've put it so well.

There is something about the rocket pack heroes that I find intriguing.  King of The Rocketmen and the 2 follow ups are good viewing and I also enjoy and re-read from time to time, some other rocket pack heroes.  Obviously the great Adam Strange - MIS stuff that is; Atome Kid, which we have on site; Rocket Ranger; the Rocketman series from Innovation; Zip Jet; Hero-Man; even Santo used a rocket pack for a short while.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #585 on: May 07, 2022, 04:39:05 PM »

Do I mind that the proposed new film will star a Black Rocketeer? Of course not!

So long as they also cast only white men in the roles of Marvel's Black Panther and Blade I don't mind.

I'm not so sure that the term "political correctness" needs to always have a negative connotation. I believe in kindness to all, politeness and good manners, and inclusion. If that makes me PC, then I'm guilty as charged. Cheers, Bowers

In today's world PC means cancelling , defaming or even publically physically assaulting anyone who is not in lockstep with certain agendas. Inclusiveness has zero to do with it. To the PC crowd arson and assault are protected free speach.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 04:48:35 PM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #586 on: May 07, 2022, 08:59:04 PM »

Cap, although I may disagree with your definition, I do value your opinion. That's what a forum is- a place to exchange ideas, opinions and information. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #587 on: May 08, 2022, 04:03:50 AM »

a Black Rocketeer?

There are actually those in Hollywood who over the years have said, "NO ONE KNOWS what these characters look like", when referring to novels where authors spend pages describing exactly what characters look like... or comic-books, where you can SEE what they look like.

Here's how I see it...

Flash Gordon is a blonde
Dale Arden has jet-black hair
Ming The Merciless is BALD
Princess Aura is a BLONDE

(Already, the 1936 film got 2 of these wrong... heh.)

Luke Cage, Hero For Hire looks like a young JIM BROWN.   ;D
ip icon Logged

lyons

message icon
« Reply #588 on: May 08, 2022, 06:28:35 AM »

The push for race and gender diversity trumps all, even talent.   
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #589 on: May 10, 2022, 11:31:39 AM »

In one of my stories some years back, the hero was Polish, the Police Commissioner was black, one of the baddies was Puerto-Rican, and one of the other heroes was British.  What the British guy was doing living in Camden, NJ is anyone's guess.

;D

But of course, NONE of these were previously-existing characters who had been absurdly RE-CAST to be drastically-different from who they were originally.  I suppose that's the advantage of creating your own characters.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #590 on: June 20, 2022, 04:19:09 PM »

The Stranger Times, a novel by C.K. McDonnell.  Having finished it and laughed out loud a lot, in a cafe, embarrassingy, at one point, I got hold of the follow up, This Charming Man.  Halfway through it and it's even funnier.  Here's the website:-
https://thestrangertimes.co.uk/the-stranger-times/
https://thestrangertimes.co.uk/news/this-charming-man/
I think the appalling, totally non pc, foul mouthed, clarty editor, Vincent Banecroft is my new hero. Lotsa laffs, great fun, and monsters.
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #591 on: June 22, 2022, 07:44:27 PM »

S.F. Stories by Robert Sheckley. I haven't been so amused, since I read S.F. Stories from Fredric Brown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sheckley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredric_Brown

The shortest S.F. Story of the World by Fredric Brown (based on a template by Thomas Aldrich):

The last man on earth sat alone in a room. Than there was a knock on the door ...

:o

ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #592 on: July 07, 2022, 05:43:28 PM »

I'm currently trying to read 'Doctor Solar' in Dutch. ;D

I found 24 old black and white editions from the netherlands at archive.org. Simply enter Doctor Solar in the search.
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #593 on: October 21, 2022, 09:46:49 AM »

Now I'm reading Rip Kirby. The 'Bocola Verlag' in Germany has published 12 beautiful books so far and I found the first three at a flea market in very good condition, for only € 10 in total, which made my collector's heart laugh. :)

The books are in hardcover landscape format (30.5 x 28.0 cm) and have an average of 150 pages. I don't know, if I'll ever be able to buy the other books, but at least I'll have a lot of enjoyment with the first three books.

https://www.bocola.de/ripkirby.html
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #594 on: October 21, 2022, 12:28:57 PM »

Good find, good taste!

https://infogalactic.com/info/John_Dixon_(cartoonist)

John Dixon (20 February 1929 - 7 May 2015) was an Australian comic book artist and writer, best known for his comic strip creation, Air Hawk and the Flying Doctors (which ran from 1959 until 1986).

He drew sixteen stories of Agent Corrigan that were published in a Swedish comic book from 1997 to 2003. 

ComicKraut, if you e ver find those, let me know.
They probably would have been published as Albums.
cheers!   
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #595 on: October 22, 2022, 09:09:44 AM »

Thank you Panther, for your kind words  :) . If I ever see John Dixon's 'Agent Corrigan' comics, I'll think of you.

I have a few 'Agent Corrigan' comics, but by Al Williamson and Archie Goodwin.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #596 on: October 22, 2022, 12:28:43 PM »

Despite Super Detective Library publishing a lot of Raymond Rip Kirby stories I still bought the Spanish landscape hb books.  They weren't available in English in the UK.  But were in comic shops in Spain. They were excellent books although it took me a while to work my way through a story, my Spanish being not good.
In fact, I noticed many American titles in Spanish that were not available here.  Typical. 
And I love landscape format ;D
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #597 on: October 22, 2022, 02:43:15 PM »

"landscape"

HORIZONTAL is the ONLY right way to ever reprint newspaper strips!  Kitchen Sink Press knew this (so sad they went out of business).

I think of all the newspaper strips collected in "vertical" format books, where the strips are just shrunk so much it's difficult to appreciate the art.  At least Titan Books' JAMES BOND 007 collections are just barely big enough to see what you're looking at, but whoever reprinted Romero's AXA series... oy!!  A strip (in more ways that one, heh) where the art is by far the best thing going, and it's like you're looking at large postage stamps.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #598 on: October 28, 2022, 03:09:34 AM »

After ALL these years, I just read a good chunk (they always go on too long) of the Wikipedia page on THE SAINT character.  I may use that for reference re-assembling a more complete list of the stories from the books.

What amazes me, is how the page goes on and on and on and on and on... and discusses at one point the 1997 Val Kilmer movie (and various things wrong with it...

...and NEVER mentions how the film is actually based on THE LONE WOLF.  I mean, from what I know now-- which I read on THIS message board-- it pretty much HAS to be.  it can't be a coincidence.

I hate when Hollywood bastardizes characters and gets the source materials all mixed up.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #599 on: October 28, 2022, 03:13:56 AM »

The push for race and gender diversity trumps all, even talent.   

I was just reading some very long reviews of the new movie THE GREEN KNIGHT.

It seems 2 of the main characters-- including the title character-- the actors playing them are of INDIAN descent.  In a movie about British middle ages mythology.  WTF???

But this is apparently a relatively-minor problem, compared to how, once again the story SERIOUSLY deviates from the classic story... and on top of that... is told is such a VAGUE fashion, that by film's end, most people have NO IDEA WTF they just watched.  One review felt he had to spell out and explain the movie.  Who the hell wants a movie like that?
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.