in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group # 316 Fawcett Crime.

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group # 316 Fawcett Crime.  (Read 676 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Reading Group # 316 Fawcett Crime.
« on: February 05, 2024, 12:22:53 AM »

Over the Christmas/New Year period, we had a lot of Fawcett material. When people think Fawcett they usually think Captain Marvel and the superhero stable. But there was more to Fawcett than that.
I love Crime and Noir stories, provided they are well-done.   
Fawcett had three Crime anthologies and I have chosen something from each.
The work I have selected highlights Artists I am respectful of.
Please feel free to comment on anything else you would like to, or just concentrate on any one artist, should you be inclined.       

Down with Crime # 4
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=30645
The Aristocrat of Crime (11 pages) Bob Powell

Suspense Detective 1
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=19209
A Short Step to Oblivion [George Evans]

or
Suspense Detective 2
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=25391
The Wall! The Wall! Behind the Wall![ George Evans]

Underworld Crime 1
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=25310
The Punk - [Mike Sekowsky],

or
Suspense Detective 5
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=16350
Save Me... The Coffin Is Closing
George Evans? | Inks: Bernard Baily? [definitely Bailey inks.]

Two Strangers! [Mike Sekowsky]  - good early work

Enjoy! and don't comment on all, if you don't have time or would prefer not to. 
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
Re: Reading Group # 316 Fawcett Crime.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 07:25:00 PM »

Wow, top shelf selections AP and the stories you highlighted featured plot lines that were fresh and remarkable. I'm going to approach my review a bit different from others and critique the offerings in general terms and from an artist's perspective.

First off artistically, what in the hell happened to Bernard Baily's style within a few years time? It's definitely a degenerative downgrade and he is amongst one of my Golden-Age artistic influences! His eerie and strong work on The Spectre showcased off his unique style to great regard, but this work in these Crime genre books clearly isn't his best at all. Normally he's on and off in regards to illustrative technical proficiency but he infuses a passion and thought into the line work that draws you in. Baily largely had more highlights than low-lights and was definitely explored creatively in introducing new visual elements into the comic art world. He went from atmospheric and dramatically expressive to lacklustre and grotesquely generic with in a few years time. How did this happen? Does anyone know what transpired in his life to explain this?

I had heard minimal things about George Evans and don't recall seeing his work before. Just experiencing it now I found his more realistic stylings to be very visually appealing and they worked well to present and advance the suspenseful story. His particular work on "The Wall! The Wall! Behind the Wall!" was a very pleasant surprise and drove the story dramatically to its hilt. I quickly grew to admire his unique rendering style and artistic storytelling technique.

Lastly, I thought the Mike Sekowsky story "The Punk" was bang on storyline wise. It moved along nicely and built up the suspense in the narrative. However, I personally found Sekowsky's drawing a wee atrocious and found that it distracted from the story rather than enhanced it. "The Punk" succeeds primarily due to the writing but visually, it was a rather chaotic and distorted mess. This is my personal opinion though and others mileage may vary.

All in all these were all terrific picks that represent that genre at its fore very well. They worked despite a few artistic shortcomings and are a good introduction to anyone new to this noir on wood-pulp. In spite of a focus on high turnout, variance of quality and assembly-line production cadence, they provided welcome entertainment in a floundering comic industry in decline.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 02:01:59 AM »

Down With Crime #4

Signature of Death
I wonder how this story would have read if it was done Captain Marvel style? (“Holy moly, you refused to see my art as a Heigsten! Die!”)  ;) A dark little tale, not what I would have expected since I think of Fawcett as a Captain Marvel style publisher, which is ridiculous as I have read a few of their other offerings and they also didn't have that style, but I've read more of the Big Red Cheese and friends stories which colored my view. Bernard Baily does some mean looking villains.

The Aristocrat of Crime!
Okay.

The TV Kidnappers
Okay.

One Year To Live
You'd think his robbing places without a mask and his wild lifestyle, some cop would have figured it out.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 06:34:16 AM »

The Aristocrat of Crime from 'Down with Crime' #4

Interesting selections, Panther. I'll endeavour to read the stories you highlighted, but will kick off with 'The Aristocrat of Crime'. In general, I liked the noir feel of the art and the extra length given to the story. There's a lot in those panels.

It's an interesting splash page, where we see Doc in the sights of a gun, but we don't yet know how he got there. I like the way that comes full circle when we see the killer's perspective on the last page, with Doc in his sights. If I was being pedantic though, I'd ask why Doc is facing the gun on the splash page, but appears to be shot in the back at the end. Oh well ... The angle was interesting. I thought the faces were well done throughout, and I liked the monotone colours on the page where Doc and Dolly were searching the Bentonville house at night.

The story is okay, but nothing terribly inventive. Some crooks who've been double-crossed before, try to double-cross Doc, but they all find that crime doesn't pay. The script is pretty good though. I can see it as one of those half-hour crime shows from the 50s and 60s. A few quibbles though.

When Dolly does her fake fainting spell, how come no one wondered how she'd managed to pass out yet still cross her ankles in a dainty fashion? Decorum trumps acting ability.

If Doc is such a seasoned pro, isn't it dumb for him to call John by name in the middle of the heist?

When Doc and Dolly search the Bentonville house, I wondered why he thought there'd be a secretary in one of the downstairs rooms. Took me a minute to realise he meant a piece of furniture.

The FBI must have a pretty good lab if they can match the clay to the actual clay pit in 1952. Also, that was an abrupt point to finish the story on. I turned the page expecting more.

But overall, I did enjoy reading this tale and admiring the art. Now onto the others.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 10:30:48 PM »

Man, when I looked at this series of selections, I could just see them being up Q.Q. and Crash’s alley. G.M., I can help you a bit with George Evans. He did maybe his best work for E.C., and some of their more famous covers. (Wikipedia says CRIMESUSPENSE STORIES #23 was put in front of the anti-comic witch hunters, but I think it was #22...) Problem is, that when you are on the same batting line up as Wally Wood, you’re going to b seen as a lesser talent. Also, I think he did some of his best work for them, when the titles weren’t selling anymore. Kind of sad.
The guy was superb drawing things that flew or gadgets. A total enthusiast of WWI aircraft. His panels with planes never looked static.
Bit of a history note; the horror comics get blamed the most for the Wertham take down, but the crime comics were equally if not more a target with those guys. They REALLY hated them. Gaines famously said they banned the word ‘crime’ to just put his stuff out of circulation.
Now whenever I get a new Powell story I haven’t seen before, I always wind up just looking at the art for a while, hang the story. And all the issues look very strong. I’ll be back later.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 02:46:09 AM »

Underworld Crime #1

The Army of Crime
Interesting story.

The Punk
This story kind of reminded me of some of the horror stories that Gold Key would do. Wonder if the writer later wrote for GK? The art is rough, appropriate for the story, although I'm not sure that was an intentional choice by the artist.

Contraband
Okay.

White Birds of Death!
Interesting.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 06:22:29 AM »

Suspense Detective #1

3 Small Men
Interesting, almost a horror story with that ending.

A Short Step To Oblivion
Okay, although the detective doing detective work after the conviction is an old annoyance of mine in these death row stories. The artist apparently didn't know that prisoners heads are shaved before electrocution.

The Trespassers
Not bad text story.

Fire!
Nice story. I liked how they tied him being a telegrapher with how he told them what was happening.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 08:27:42 PM »

This is a great selection of comics. Fawcett did some interesting comics toward the end of its existence. Horror, crime, romance, many with excellent artwork.

Down With Crime #4

Signature of Death is a typical crime tale. The writer had Excess Adjective Disorder, cramming each caption with adjectives that don't always fit: "The sudden shock of the water alerted the police officer to stark consciousness." It's odd the way the story ends with an abrupt caption that reads as if an editor softened the ending so the crook wouldn't get away with it. This isn't the case though. The story properly lays the groundwork about Schweiss' camera and his picture-taking. We need the cop to think about the camera in the end, like "I wonder what a guy like Schweiss lugged a camera around for" to smooth the transition into the final caption's irony.

Bernard Baily's artwork here is capable. He puts effort into locations, characterization, and posing. His choice of camera angles is good. But as Ghost Man suggests, he isn't terribly innovative. Baily's style simplified and hardened over the years. His figures became more angular, his inking took on an increasing scratchiness, and his layouts were bland. By the time he was drawing Prince Ra-Man in the 1960s his art had little to recommend it. Who knows why styles change? Perhaps Baily preferred being an entrepreneur--he ended his career publishing farm magazines--and drew comics just for the money.

The Aristocrat of Crime moves at a good clip, helped immeasurably by Bob Powell's cinematic artwork. Powell's (and perhaps Howard Nostrand's?) attention to machinery and architecture gives everything a real-world feel that supports the movie-like script. This story has an even more abrupt ending than the last one. It ties up the loose ends, yes, but it just sort of clunks to a halt.

One Year to Live is mediocre both in story and art. There's not much to say about it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 05:20:17 AM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 10:58:18 PM »

Suspense Detective #1

This comic is unusual in that the stories--two of them, anyway--make an earnest attempt at "ticking clock" suspense. It's harder to pull off in comics than in movies. Perhaps that's why so few comics tried it.

Three Small Men isn't one of the ticking-clock stories. It's paced that way but as others have pointed out it's basically an extended EC shock-ending tale. Bernard Baily's scratchy inks and ugly faces fit this story better than the one in Down With Crime. His art is given no help by the grotesque coloring. Whoever this colorist was, they ruined many a story in late-term Fawcetts. In panel after panel huge areas of color are slapped down at random. Most panels are limited to two or three colors in hideous combinations like yellow-red-green and orange-olive. Whenever the colorist would have to do a little work he just covers everything with a single color. All this is done without regard to context. Occasionally, especially in horror stories, the coloring works, but then it's probably by accident.

I really like A Short Step to Oblivion. It's a one of the best comic book attempts at ticking-clock suspense of the Cornell Woolrich variety. Indeed the premise shows a strong Woolrich influence. Despite a few overwrought captions the story flows cinematically. George Evans' artwork fits the tale admirably. Part of the story's success is that it was given more pages than typical anthology stories, 11 pages rather than the usual 6 or 8.

As many of you know I'm a longtime Evans fan. He never got the acclaim of his EC stablemates, but he always delivered solid storytelling, good draughtsmanship, and believable environments. His layouts were conservative to be sure, but he was good at dramatic camera angles when the need arose (see our page 22). Personally I feel his best work was during the 1960s when he worked for Dell and Gilberton. He often teamed up with Reed Crandall on movie and classic-tale adaptations. They were a dynamite team.

In this story Evans' artwork is almost eradicated by the gawdawful coloring. P.S.: Charlton reprinted this story in This is Suspense, issued under the Comics Code. Some scenes are almost funny after the Code has removed knives and such.

Fire! is another good ticking-clock story. There isn't much mystery who the firebug is, but once that's out of the way things unroll smoothly. The artwork is excellent. This guy is maddeningly familiar but I just can't attach a name to him. His evocative portrayal of the rundown neighborhood goes a long way toward selling the story. The writer establishes Pop's background as a telegrapher without beating us over the head, so the way he saves the day at the end is very satisfying.

The coloring here isn't as bad as in the earlier stories. The way the artist vignettes many panels prevents the colorist from filling backgrounds with solid red and bilious green.

All in all this is a great book.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 04:48:01 AM »

Funny how Fawcett always made sure the editors were credited, but not always the writers and artists. Talk about some messed up priorities. Do you think they told themselves, “Kids don't care about writers and artists, but editors are like gods to them!”?  ;)

Suspense Detective #2

Cover
“A new experience in comic magazine reading! Each spine-chilling story will make you feel you're tightrope walking a thousand dizzying feet above a roaring fire!”
Stan Lee called and suggested you tone it down.  ;)

The Wall! The Wall! Behind the Wall!
I wonder if a wall is involved in this story?  ;) Not too bad. The art is okay.

The Last Stop
The story mentions they're in love, but the art shows them in separate beds. Yeahhhhhh...  ;) While the twist was predictable, it was otherwise a good story.

The Long Chase
Okay.

The Great Likeness!
This story made me feel like I was a thousand feet above a roaring fire!!!  :o  ;) Cute little humor piece, but it feels so out of place in a crime comic. Maybe it would have fit better if someone got killed?

The Butcher
Okay.

None of the stories really matched the hype on the cover.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2024, 03:58:41 AM »

Suspense Detective #5

Save Me... The Coffin Is Closing
That almost sounds like a song title. The first part of the story kind of dragged with the writer ignoring some things that should be obvious to your average mystery reader. The art was okay, although Margaret's eyes seemed too large like a proto-manga style.

The Blind Witness?
If the murderers just went to another town for a few years they probably wouldn't worry about the old guy knowing their voices.

He Rode With Fear
Okay.

Two Strangers!
A whole year has passed, but Mike is able to find a clue on John Smith's clothes? Didn't the police in that town try to figure out who this guy was?
When Mrs. Crane is shocked that her husband is “a would-be murderer” I wondered if she was upset that he wasn't a successful murderer. (“Oh, the shame! I told all my friends that you were a murderer, but now I'll have to tell them you failed!”) ;-) The art is much better than the story.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2024, 11:26:22 PM »

Overall,I was impressed with the level of quality from issue to issue for our selections. A lot of times there can be a big fall off after the lead story, but just about all the issue had more readable items as well.

Man, Q.Q. I must be getting old. I never even noticed the discreetly crossed legs until you pointed them out in ARISTOCRAT OF CRIME. In my mind I kept waiting for someone to poke their head in when Doc and Dolly are having supper and say; “Now folks, never make the mistake this guy is making. LISTEN when she tells you she’s only in it for the money and then run like hell!”

‘Crash I know what you mean by EAD. My favourite moment was its extension into dialogue and ’the wetness permits to loosen the cords somewhat’. Followed by ‘gotta gotta’ which always reminds me of Otis Redding LIVE or Eddy Murphy imitating him in SHREK. But that’s the CHARM of these things. All machine guns go ‘rat-a-tat-tat”. Someone has ‘g-got to get clear. Got to.”
With Evans later work, I’d go with his Classics Illustrated art for ’The Buccaneer’. When I got it as a kid, I didn’t know who it was, but just that I liked it. Read it a lot, and for some reason, the movie itself scared me as a kid during that swamp battle.

’Super, I’ve always noticed the overlap between the crime and horror stories with all the publishers. Makes sense, if you have a tight deadline. Genius, in fact, to solve the problem. A bit more gore on the corpse under the pump house in 3 SMALL MEN and it could have made CRYPT. Even the host fits in. And you’re right, ’Save Me the Coffin is closing” could be Keith Urban’s next big country hit.

‘Panther these were great reading for me, and fit right in with this week. They had ’NOTORIOUS’ and “TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT’ while I went through them. Not bad.

ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2024, 08:10:01 AM »

George Evans Selections

First of all, I haven't read any of these Suspense Detective comics before. I assume the creepy looking fellow in the top left of the cover page and the splash pages is the narrator. Is there any significance to him? Is he supposed to be someone? I was wondering if it was based on a TV show or something.

'A Short Step to Oblivion' from Suspense Detective #1

The writing style is quite good. The opening narration box is like one of those gritty TV crime shows of the 50s and 60s that starts with a voice-over.

Do we ever know why the pawnbroker was killed? Was it just a robbery? I didn't think much of the detective's skills. If a neon sign and a bar were key features of the accused man's story, why didn't he think to check out Jay St at night in the first place? It was good of the murderer to give his whole confession just because Ruth said, 'You must be the killer.' Walt gets off, but Ruth is still presumably sick and hungry. After all, that's why Walt fell into trouble in the first place. Do they get compo? Do they sue the pants off someone? Actually, she didn't look too sick and hungry while she was investigating, so that part of the story didn't really match the art for me.

But otherwise, the art was good. There were some interesting perspective shots, especially those on the stairs when they're confronting the killer.

'The Wall! The Wall! Behind the Wall!' from Suspense Detective #2

Again, the narration box gets you in and the writing is a step above a lot of comics. Not being a bricklayer myself, I had to look up hod carrier. The writing was suspenseful in parts. I really felt for the young man being bricked up. Though why did it take Gardo so long to wonder why Tollick was quickly filling in the wall?

I really liked the art in this one. A gripping splash page. I like the use of block colours there and in some of the other panels. There were some interesting perspective shots and I liked the way murder of Tollick was in silhouette. Gardo and Mario look like they haven't got a care in the world as they stroll home to the creepy narrator's wrap-up. Though I did wonder what would happen when the body of the supervisor is discovered. Oh well, justice is served. I'm glad they didn't go with a cliched ending of having Mario suddenly speak for the first time, though I was happy for Dorothy McGuire to do that in 'The Spiral Staircase'. Now there's a good noir film for you, Morgus ;)

Overall, I thought the writing of the actual script in both of these stories was a step above, though there were a few plot issues. The art was also good, especially some of the perspective shots. Thanks for this selection, Panther.

Cheers

QQ

ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2024, 08:23:22 AM »

CrashRyan said:
The Aristocrat of Crime moves at a good clip, helped immeasurably by Bob Powell's cinematic artwork. Powell's (and perhaps Howard Nostrand's?) attention to machinery and architecture gives everything a real-world feel that supports the movie-like script. This story has an even more abrupt ending than the last one. It ties up the loose ends, yes, but it just sort of clunks to a halt.

I really like A Short Step to Oblivion. It's a one of the best comic book attempts at ticking-clock suspense of the Cornell Woolrich variety. Indeed the premise shows a strong Woolrich influence. Despite a few overwrought captions the story flows cinematically. George Evans' artwork fits the tale admirably. Part of the story's success is that it was given more pages than typical anthology stories, 11 pages rather than the usual 6 or 8.

Crash, I agree about the movie-like script and cinematic artwork. They looked like the sort of stories you would see filmed for those half-hour TV crime shows of the 50s and 60s with the grim voice-overs that made sure we knew crime didn't pay. Though investigators like Peter Gunn would have done a better job than the detective in the 'Oblivion' one.  :D

SuperScrounge said:
The Wall! The Wall! Behind the Wall!
I wonder if a wall is involved in this story?  ;)

There's a wall! There's a wall! There is indeed a wall in this story, Super  :D

Morgus said:
Man, Q.Q. I must be getting old. I never even noticed the discreetly crossed legs until you pointed them out in ARISTOCRAT OF CRIME. In my mind I kept waiting for someone to poke their head in when Doc and Dolly are having supper and say; “Now folks, never make the mistake this guy is making. LISTEN when she tells you she’s only in it for the money and then run like hell!”

I'm always happy to pick out the trivial details, Morgus. No woman has ever fainted like that! And you're right about poor Doc. He doesn't even get duped. He knows she only wants the money. Pre-marriage counselling is definitely called for in this one  :D

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2024, 04:03:17 AM »

Hey Q.Q., that reminds me of a gag my brother and I used to do. When a husband and wife crime team was busted, we do this routine where one of us would say; “CAN THIS MARRIAGE BE SAVED?”, after the old READERS DIGEST feature that used to show up here in Canada. One of us would pretend to be, say the wife of a meth lab suspect, the other would pretend to be the councillor who would advise back with platitudes right out of a Chinese fortune cookie with ‘think positive advice’ totally ignoring the crime aspect. “Keeping the equipment clean and getting some better ventilation might help tension. Maybe a holiday out of Kentucky might be just the thing for the weekend.”
I can hear it now; “Doc, you have to get good workers first who have a more viable employment history with you. Poor employee relations always affect employee moral. And Dolly, some patience now with Doc could pay big dividends later.”
But I guess all bets were off when Doc pulled out that machine gun...
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2024, 06:46:36 AM »

Hey Q.Q., that reminds me of a gag my brother and I used to do. When a husband and wife crime team was busted, we do this routine where one of us would say; “CAN THIS MARRIAGE BE SAVED?”, after the old READERS DIGEST feature that used to show up here in Canada. One of us would pretend to be, say the wife of a meth lab suspect, the other would pretend to be the councillor who would advise back with platitudes right out of a Chinese fortune cookie with ‘think positive advice’ totally ignoring the crime aspect. “Keeping the equipment clean and getting some better ventilation might help tension. Maybe a holiday out of Kentucky might be just the thing for the weekend.”
I can hear it now; “Doc, you have to get good workers first who have a more viable employment history with you. Poor employee relations always affect employee moral. And Dolly, some patience now with Doc could pay big dividends later.”
But I guess all bets were off when Doc pulled out that machine gun...

LOL Morgus. Didn't you say you worked in the mental health field? I can see where you got your training. Should we be worried? ;D

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2024, 08:11:58 PM »

Suspense Detective #2

The Wall! (etc.) is a decent suspense story made great by George Evans' art. I especially like how he avoids generic characters and backgrounds. His people have individual personalities and the construction yard and neighborhood settings show attention to believable detail. The coloring--GAAAAAHHHH! I don't know what this colorist's fixation with orange+green is all about, but it's only one of the unpleasant combinations that labor mightily to obscure the artwork.

The story works pretty well until the ending. Somehow I don't see Poppa and Mario strolling home right after Mario saved Poppa's life by burying a well-deserved pickaxe in his attacker's back. I'd at least expect the police to drop by and ask a few questions. Maybe Poppa and Mario just bricked Tollick up behind the wall. The wall! The...etc.

The Last Stop was drawn by the guy who did the firebug story in the last issue. His work has a slick Madison Avenue look. I wonder if he was an ad agency artist moonlighting in comics. Does anyone know who this is? The story's suspense is weakened by the protagonist being a murderer. Still it builds to a satisfying trick ending.

The Great Likeness: an old joke. I wonder why the characters speak with them thar comic book western accents.

The Butcher goes on too long even at 8 pages because we know Adams/Blake is the killer the moment we meet him. The artwork is one of the jobs that led me to reappraise Mike Sekowsky's art after years of hating him for his Justice League. This sort of real-world story is right up Sekowsky's alley. He exhibits some of the Alex Toth influence he picked up at Standard. His compositions are strong, his camera angles are good, and he puts effort into his backgrounds, something Sekowsky didn't always do. I'm not sure who inked this. Sekowsky was often paired with Mike Peppe at this time. It might be him. They're a bit scratchy in spots but do Sekowsky justice. At least you'd think so if you could see the artwork through the coloring. And I thought "The Wall" had wretched coloring. That pales in comparison to this story's psychedelic soup.

Not as strong a book as issue #1 but still a good read.

ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2024, 10:04:38 PM »

Underworld Crime #1

This is your typical crime comic with better-than-average artwork. I'm not crazy about crime comics.

Army of Crime is just plain silly. Not only do the crooks manage easily to steal a bunch of armored cars they somehow even snatch an LST without being noticed. The connection between the Battle of the Bulge and Joey's private-army bank job is rather a stretch. And why on earth do they feel the need to dress in full army uniforms? The artwork is adequate. There's something about Bernard Baily's faces, particularly the mouths, that I find unpleasant.

The Punk is just another crime story but Mike Sekowsky's art is top-notch. Take a look at the last two panels on our page 18. This is what Alex Toth called "plussing the script." Plussing means giving a scene extra life by adding unique character and environment "business." In these two panels look how Sekowsky makes everyone, not just the main characters, individuals. They all dress differently, stand differently, hold different drinks. One man slouches at a table playing cards. A woman takes a cigarette offered by someone off-panel. These touches bring to life what could easily have been a generic scene of people talking in a barroom. Think for instance of how Charlton's Charles Nicholas would have staged the scene.

There's an argument to be made that putting this much effort into a panel is a waste of time. The image is read in a second or two and plays no direct role in the plot. But I'd counter that it works subliminally to make a story a bit more memorable. It also shows an artist putting thought into their work instead of  just cranking it out.

In White Birds of Death Bob Correa does a better-than-usual job without a lot of obvious swipes. Correa drew well enough, but he seems to have been lazy. His Dell work is peppered with swipes from John Prentice, Ray Kinstler, Alex Raymond, and magazine illustrations. The story is another meh crime tale.

This comic is made worthwhile by Sekowsky's story but I much prefer Suspense Detective.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2024, 01:13:13 AM »

Suspense Detective #5

The last issue in a pretty good series.

Save Me--The Coffin is Closing! The wall! The Wall! Look beh--oh, sorry. Got carried away. This is an okay ticking-clock story, helped considerably by Bernard Baily's art. I don't know why the GCD thinks George Evans pencilled it. It ain't him. For one thing, Evans draws better dogs. No, I believe Baily did it all himself, and he delivers a solid, careful job. Again he's torpedoed by those colors I can't stop complaining about.

The Blind Witness boasts nice artwork and better dogs. Here's another story drawn by someone maddeningly familiar. His crooks' faces are reminiscent of Henry Sharp, but nothing else is. I also get Mel Keefer vibes. I'm not familiar enough with Keefer to tell for sure if he was involved. Finally, the art resembles work by the Italian import bunch (Bagnoli, Canale, Caesar, etc.) who worked for several publishers in the 1950s. But it doesn't look enough like any of them to give one of them credit. Anyway, the art is good with a good noir feeling and Good Dog Art. Although the dog goes from grey to brown to red to puke green to flaming orange in the course of the story.

Two Strangers could have used a couple more pages to flesh out the story and soften the abrupt ending. We should have learned more about Stuart Crane's wife, who was unaware her husband was a murderer. Mike's discovery of the hollow wall is a bit too convenient. Mike Sekowsky delivers another fine art job, though again the inks are scratchy and sometimes overly finicky.

Someone once suggested that an artist's style is the sum of his individual drawing mistakes, like Jack Kirby's flat-tipped knuckle-free hands, or the way that Paul Reinman's characters' heads always tilt to the side giving the impression their neck is broken. A Sekowsky signature is the way he draws men's heads when they're looking down. The skull is enlarged, pushing the hairline up and making the facial features seem too small for the head. Page 31 panel 1 gives a good example. I hypothesize that this may have arisen from Sekowsky's being influenced by Alex Toth. In the 1950s Toth had a similar way of drawing downward-facing heads, though he didn't enlarge the skull as much as Sekowsky. It's funny that other Toth-inspired artists like Bill Discount, copied the shtick. Maybe they were influenced as much by Sekowsky as they were by Toth.

In closing, this was an excellent selection of interesting comics.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2024, 02:20:55 AM »

Underworld Crime - The Punk

Well, Joey sure is one stupid punk. I can understand him wanting to strike terror into others and be known as some kind of crime king. But he doesn't make any attempt to hide his crimes. Does he really want a one-way ticket to jail or the electric chair? The escape to Central America added a bit more interest than other similar stories, but again he's pretty dumb to think the "natives" won't want revenge. And how did the police discover so quickly that he'd paid the two seamen $1000 to smuggle him into Central America? It was probably a surprise to him, but no one else, that he came to a suitably icky end, with a lovely blood-curdling pic at the end that probably wouldn't have made it past the Comic Book Code authorities if it had been published a couple of years later. Though Gomas' comment in the second-last panel left things up in the air a bit: 'For me, it is just beginning. I, too, have things to answer to.' Did I miss something or is it just his shady dealings?

I liked the art on the whole. Some interesting perspectives (e.g., the liquor store hold-ups, the running feet of Ben Connally, the close-up when Joey realises the cops have found him in Central America). I also liked some of the block colours.

Not a bad crime-does-not-pay story, with a completely unredeemable bad guy.

Suspense Detective #5 - Save Me ... the Coffin is Closing

Interesting splash page showing the heroine's no-win situation, with just the hands of the villain shown on the window sill. EEK!

I thought Mark was a cad for leaving her in a bad situation with 'a hobbling fiend and a doddering fool'. He comes good at the end, but took his sweet time. Margaret's very forgiving after her prolonged ordeal in a coffin. The script was a step above: 'malevolent words seared the air like whiplashes.' Quite a gripping ticking-bomb story. I liked the art, and there were some interesting touches with the colours (e.g., some faces in just red and yellow, or green and yellow).

Overall, a good story, but Mark needs a kick up the proverbial.

Two Strangers

I got a bit confused about where to start on the first page, but then realised that the left-hand side is like a mini splash page and the story starts with the top right narration box and panel.

I wonder how many times amnesiacs have gotten their memories back by a good hit on the head? Maybe that old trope wasn't as common in 1952. Interesting parallel with Nostrand getting his memory and real life back, and Mike Kane finding purpose again. I guess it would have been common for vets to have trouble settling back into civilian life when WWII was over. I wasn't sure if Crane was dead or alive at the end. He looks dead and his wife seems to be crying over him, but he wasn't in the line of fire.

And as for the creepy narrator's question at the end: 'What does the next minute hold in store for you?' Well Mr Creepy Narrator, I thought I'd post these thoughts on CB+.

Some interesting selections Panther. Both the writing and art was good in most of these stories.

Cheers

QQ

ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2024, 02:25:14 AM »

Suspense Detective #2

The Wall! (etc.) is a decent suspense story made great by George Evans' art. I especially like how he avoids generic characters and backgrounds. His people have individual personalities and the construction yard and neighborhood settings show attention to believable detail. The coloring--GAAAAAHHHH! I don't know what this colorist's fixation with orange+green is all about, but it's only one of the unpleasant combinations that labor mightily to obscure the artwork.

The story works pretty well until the ending. Somehow I don't see Poppa and Mario strolling home right after Mario saved Poppa's life by burying a well-deserved pickaxe in his attacker's back. I'd at least expect the police to drop by and ask a few questions. Maybe Poppa and Mario just bricked Tollick up behind the wall. The wall! The...etc.

Hi Crash, I agree that the ending is a bit unbelievable. Will the police be happy to find them at home, having a jolly good meal and laugh after killing Tollick, even if he did deserve it?

I actually didn't mind the colour blocking. Orange and green aren't my favourites either, but I thought there was enough variety that it didn't bother me.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2024, 02:30:20 AM »

Underworld Crime #1

The Punk is just another crime story but Mike Sekowsky's art is top-notch. Take a look at the last two panels on our page 18. This is what Alex Toth called "plussing the script." Plussing means giving a scene extra life by adding unique character and environment "business." In these two panels look how Sekowsky makes everyone, not just the main characters, individuals. They all dress differently, stand differently, hold different drinks. One man slouches at a table playing cards. A woman takes a cigarette offered by someone off-panel. These touches bring to life what could easily have been a generic scene of people talking in a barroom. Think for instance of how Charlton's Charles Nicholas would have staged the scene.

There's an argument to be made that putting this much effort into a panel is a waste of time. The image is read in a second or two and plays no direct role in the plot. But I'd counter that it works subliminally to make a story a bit more memorable. It also shows an artist putting thought into their work instead of  just cranking it out.

Thanks for pointing that out, Crash. I hadn't noticed that before, and had to go back and have another look. You're right. It's like really good fiction authors who add in interesting details about settings and secondary characters. It might not be absolutely essential, but if done well, it gives the whole story that extra depth and authenticity.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2024, 11:30:15 PM »

(1) The Aristocrat of Crime - Down With Crime #4 - Bob Powell
This Bob Powell-drawn story features excellently drawn and inked detail, and the 2 very brief action scenes look adequate enough, although they are too brief for my taste, given that the entire remainder of the story hjas people just standing around talking.  Powell drew buildings, cars, and other background details well.  His figures are a bit elongated, but otherwise very realistic.  I do like the bright colours in the daytime scenes, and the contrast between the darkness and shadows and the lighted areas in the nighttime scenes.

The story's title gives the reader the idea that the lead character is a major big city crime boss with a LOT of power and a large criminal organisation.  But the author shows us a lone wolf operator, who stays away from major crimes requiring a gang.  I think it is unlikely that The Doc would decide to team up with The 3 White Brothers on an ad hoc job after they had cut him out of a caper they planned to execute together, only taking advantage of his caper planning genius, and then dumping him, by carrying out the job alone early, without
telling him, proving they are untrustworthy.  Interesting that Doc claims that The Brothers pulled the job off nwithout him, as if they just used his plan and they didn't want to let him get a cut of the take,; but they claim that HE was the cause of the rift, by not showing up of his own volition.  I don't believe he would try to use them because they are 3 to one against him and can't be trusted, just to get more money together to. keep his money-grubbing non-faithful ladyfriend.  But, I guess someone as illogical as a professional criminal who tries to live by committing robberies and constantly puts himself at risk of being killed by police or sent to prison, couldn't be expected to be logical when it comes to risk assessment, and what ius good for him in the long run.
The same is true for his judgement when it comes to life partners.  Why would anyone want to marry someone who only wants him or her for their money?  I guess they live on the high of getting something they don't deserve, and also having someone worship them for their prowess in achieving that against the odds. 

I admit that having his ladyfriend in the bank and passing out, so that his gang can bring an ambulance for her, to clear traffic for their robbery get-away, and having Doc drive a police car is a great plan.  That Doctor must have tremendous pull in that big Midwestern city.  It's hard to believe he can have that as a loner, with no organisation of regular underlings working for him.  The 3 Brothers' cutting The Doc out of his share of the loot could have been expected.  It's obvious that The FBI would have been watching the movements of The White Brothers (notorious criminals).  But, I'd like an explanation of why the prowlers who broke into John White's girlfriend's flat fit the FBI descriptions of Doc Bailey and his sometime associate, Dolly.  That would have been easy enough to do in one dialogue balloon.  Matching the clay on John White's shoes to a hunting/fishing area frequented by The Whites covers The FBI's looking for them there.  Having The FBI arrive exactly as Doc first encounters The Whites is anticlimactic, and cuts down the story's action (having more standing and talking, replacing Doc mowing down the brothers with his machine gun).  He could have accomplished that first, and after, could have been loading the swag into his car as The FBI arrived, and he still could run into the hills in his same futile attempt to escape.  I assume that the added action I propose was ruled out because of the page and panel number constraints imposed by this book's limited number of allotted pages (11) for this story's content.

(SIDE RANT) Most of the criminals I've met, seem to have given off the aura that they didn't deserve to get "the good things in life", so they felt like they had to go out and grab it any way they could (e.g. take it away from the deserving people).  Very sad that that type of greed (including by national and societal leaders, as well) dominates The World.  The World would be a much better place to live if there were no greedy people (who feel that they are not deserving of having the good things in life come to them from the fruits of their own efforts in a fair system).

(2) A Short Step To Oblivion - Suspense Detective #1 - George Evans
A disgruntled penitentiary prisoner, who plans to escape using a team of prisoner gymnasts, is a great idea for a story plot.  Evans' artwork is quite good.  I like his use of dark and light in the scenes inside the pipe, to plasce emphasis on the expressions of the faces of the escaping prisoners.  The story is very realistic, and has a great, unexpected ending that provides a just (moralistic) result, as well as being quite plausible and possible.  The way Evans drew the expressions on the 3 escaping prisoners' faces really made me feel their agony and claustrophobia.  I really "lived in this story" the way one "lives in" good films and when reading novels.  So, I enjoyed reading it very much.  This was partly due to evans' great drawing and staging, and also because it was realistic (nothinjg silly or very unlikely in it).  I didn't mind that the prisoners junked the idea of using little, light-weight, gymnast prisoners to vault over the wall, when they found out about Pop's knowledge of the pipe opening to the river.  The latter was much more realistic.

(3) The Wall! The Wall! Behind The Wall! - Suspense Detective #2 - George Evans
The story opening whole page splash panel drawn by Evans really makes the reader feel the claustrophobia and apprehension of the impending sealing up of the wall and the victim's slow and agonising death from asphyxiation.  The shining light puts emphasis on the steady dwindling of his slim chances of surviving.  The beginning looks very like a British film I remember from 1949 "Give Us This Day" (directed by Edward Dmytryk) in which an Italian immigrant bricklayer in New York's Little Italy, suspects the crooked job foreman of buying and using cheaper inadequate (unsafe) safety equipment for building tall buildings, and skimming off the cost difference for himself, when the construction firm owner gave him the proper amount.  In that film, the old bricklayer brings his protege to work there, and the young man is killed when a work platform collapses and falls several hundred feet.  That happens after the old man falls off a collapsing scaffold to the ground and is crippled for life.  That is too much to be a coincidence.  I seem to remember that the young man man, was named Geremio (very close to Mario-also Italian) in the film. This story, probably written only 2 years later, was likely not just a random coincidence.  I hope the author of this comic book story just took that basic plot and moved it into different direction.

Now back to the story.  The foreman murders the owner to protect himself from a jail term.  The deaf mute watched that happen, but can tell no one.  But, he COULD write it on paper.  So the murderous foreman hits him on his head with a shovel and ties his arms with his belt and places his unconscious body and the dead owners' behind a half-finished brick wall, planning to seal the rest so no one will ever find them. He finishes the wall before the son works his hands free.  The workday ends, and he fears he'll be left behind the wall to suffocate.  Next morning, after hearing reports that the construction owner was also missing, the father returned to the construction site to open the brick wall he saw the foreman sealing.  The villain, coincidentally living next door sees him leave, and follows him.  (Who would believe such a convenient coincidence?) After the  father opens enough of the wall for the son to escape, the villain pounced on the father.  His son climbs out and
strikes the villain with a death blow.  A great story, but 3/4 of it was stolen from the film's scriptwriter, unless the latter wrote the comic book story, too.  I would have enjoyed reading this even if I hadn't seen the film (probably a bit more).  So, yes, the author likely inspired by the film's basic plot, took it a different way, making the foreman into not only a crook, but a murderer.  The film was based on the 1939 novel "Christ In Concrete" by Pietro Di Donato.

(4) The Punk - Underworld Crime #1 - Mike Sekowsky
Mike Sekowsky, another excellent artist, provides great facial expressions, action, and realistic background detail.  Again, I like the colouring, as well.  This is a good and realistic story about a young man, who grew up in a poor, tough neighbourhood in a giant city (no doubt New York).  It was a bad atmosphere, full of have-nots who dreamed of having the things that money can buy, and coming to worship that, and swearing to get it, no matter the dangers or ultimate cost to them.  The kid, tired of being called a punk, and looking for respect from his peers, buys a gun, and proceeds to rob liquor stores every night.  When his first failed robbery happens, he kills a policeman.  Now on the run, he sneaks aboard a ship sailing to Central America.

I don't like smiles on the face of the murdered cop's father.  He's going to trace the murderer down.  He should rather have a look of strong determination on his face.  The young novice crook thinks he can be a gang leaderb in a foreign country in which he has no connections.  A coward, who shoots people in their backs and hits liquor stor managers on their heads when he robs them.  I don't think such a punk kid could raise a gang to take orders for him ANYWHERE, let alone in a foreign country where his only connections were a few ordinary men who were willing to guide him to a rural trading post for some American money.  So, his new gang of half-breed Indios attack stray Indians on their way to sell gold to the post trader, and soon desert him.  He is soon captured by the tribesmen, and beheaded.  And his shrunken head sits upon a pole as a warning to strangers.  I don't know of any headshrinking natives left in Central America by the 1950s, or at any time during the 1900s.  I seem to remember that they were only ever known in South America (Amazonia) in The Western Hemisphere.  This is a very far-fetched, unrealistic story.  But, it was somewhat entertaining.

(5) Save Me... The Coffin Is Closing - Suspense Detective #5 - George Evans and/or Bernard Baily
A ghastly tale iof horror, much more than detective/crime genre.  Again the contrast of lighting up part of the faces accentuates the mood, especially expressing terror.  The artwork is excellent as in Evans' other stories.  This doesn't really look like it was inked by a different artist.  I can't see the woman staying in that situation when her fiancee leaves.  And she should have, and could have successfully escaped before the villasin stationed his killer dogs in the estate's front garden.  It seems too contrived to produce the terrible situation she is in, to help the author produce this story.  It's too convenient, and not convincing that it could really happen that easily.  It reminds me of those ridiculous American 1950s low-budget horror films. It must have been inspired by Poe's "Premature Burial".  Just after they lower the casket into the grave, her fiancee arrives, demanding they open the casket.  All of which we knew would happen.  That takes away the suspense.  The villain feebly protests that they mustn't, but others there demand it, wondering why the villain would be so against it.  The author tried to instill a bit more suspense at then end, with the fiancee hearing no heartbeat, but, of course she is revived by artificial respiration.  Somehow, I'm left with the feeling that the writer could have staged this plot in a better, more believable way, tidying up the holes and fixing the problems.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 08:45:38 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2024, 12:54:12 AM »

I'm going to try to keep my comments to the stories I highlighted. Not always easy for me.
Down with Crime # 4
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=30645
The Aristocrat of Crime (11 pages) Bob Powell

Back when we were discussing GhostMan's Lou Fine post, one thing that came up was that an artist could often be given a script by a writer who didn't think visually. A creative artist would add elements in the art which would enhance the story, a hack would simply illustrate the words as simply as possible.
I think the artists who were in in the pool to do the Fawcett Crime books were in the first category.
Also, the fact that many of the stories end abruptly and often unsatisfactorily makes me think that there was one main writer for all the stories.
OK, a bit of an aside.
I have recently read Jim Thompson's classic Noir, The Getaway and watched the Pecinpah/Steve McQueen film.
The main character is called Doc, he has a female accomplice and lover, he is known as a master criminal, he commits a cleverly planned bank robbery with the help of his mistress and a group of untrustworthy lowlifes.
The lowlifes mess things up and the bulk of the book is a long chase to beat each other to the money. 
I feel like the similarities are too great to be incidental, but this comic was published in 1952 and 'Getaway' was published in 1958. Maybe Thompson used to read Crime Comics? Not impossible.
QQ said,
When Dolly does her fake fainting spell, how come no one wondered how she'd managed to pass out yet still cross her ankles in a dainty fashion? Decorum trumps acting ability. 

Well spotted. Powell would have put that detail in deliberately to visually emphasis that it was all an act.
Like Morgus, I can just forget the dialogue and look at the art. I notice that Doc's mouth is always drawn as a straight line. That makes him look cold and sinister and focused.
Yes, the ending is abrupt, but it's final, there is nothing to add. That's also probably a consequence of putting a story in a limited page count.   

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2024, 01:21:14 AM »

Suspense Detective 1
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=19209
A Short Step to Oblivion [George Evans]

A deceptively straight-forward story, and Evans's art although clearly technically excellent, is also deceptively straightforward.
So, how does he enhance the story?
Splash panel is the death walk. Sets the mood.
The pawnbroker is shown with his back to the client and bathed in the yellow green light of his equipment and his face is cold and contemptuous. Mouth turned down. We have no sympathy for the victim.   
After the murder, the howling dog is realistic and a nice empathic touch.
On the page where Ruth confronts the real killer, the tension is heightened in a few ways.
By the use of black in the first panel, by the changes in perspective, by the distance between the focal characters and the reader in the middle panels. And Evans conveys a lot with facial expressions and especially eyes.
I would love to have seen the pencils.         
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 05:48:27 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.