in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group # 316 Fawcett Crime.

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group # 316 Fawcett Crime.  (Read 679 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group # 316 Fawcett Crime.
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2024, 05:54:32 AM »

Suspense Detective 2
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=25391
The Wall! The Wall! Behind the Wall![ George Evans]
Not much to say here.
A variation on E A Poe's " A Cask of amontillado", and a good one
As I said before, Evans conveys mood and emotion through faces and particularly the eyes. .
And yes,  the colorist does favor yellow and green a lot.
I guess, in general I just been reading US comics in garish primary colors for so many years,that I generally don't think about it much.   
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2024, 06:28:33 AM »

Underworld Crime 1
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=25310
The Punk - [Mike Sekowsky],

Excellent cover on this one. Superb composition.
When the eyes looks at something, we focus on elements till be see the whole thing.
Golden Age artists were masters in directing the eyes (subconsciously) around the page.
So here, the eyes become focused on the blue tie, focus outward and down the falling body to the police opening fire and then to the footpath down and behind them  where we see the man who was robbed and hurt. Then we can see the wallet falling from the robbers hand, in its narrative context. In other words we have a story in one page. Love it!

As I've mentioned before on CB+, I didn't rate Mike Sekowsky when I read the early Justice Leagues - up against Kirby, Ditko, Gil Kane and others.
In an interview he said that he didn't envy any artists taking over on the JLA because it was tiring keeping  track of all the different costumes.   
He's one of a few artists whom I believe didn't enjoy the fact that in the 70's, Superheroes were nearly all they were offered. The high point of his 70's DC career is his run on Wonder Woman when they turned her into a Diana Rigg clone. Great stuff and his design sense came to the fore.
CB+ has made me appreciate just how good he could be.
I recognize his work by his anatomy, his legs and images of people walking or running forward. He has a unique way of drawing legs Also by the brows and occasional triangle-shaped heads.
It seems to me that he composes every page here.he also, when it suits him, goes from images with borders to images without borders. And there is a lot of energy in his story-telling.
Where the panels are both small and detailed, the colorist doesn't help.
Lovely stuff overall, tho.     

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2024, 06:47:55 AM »

Suspense Detective 5
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=16350
Save Me... The Coffin Is Closing
Not sure now why I chose this one to highlight.
Additional information states;-
Pencils: George Evans? | Inks: Bernard Baily?

Hard to identify the penciller, but it's definitely not Bailey. They are not his composition.
My evaluation of his work tells me that he almost never draws a sympathetic face on any of his characters.
Margaret is just too pretty to be by Bernard Bailey in my opinion.
Re the colouring. Clearly the colourist tries to be creative and often succeeds, but the limitations of colour printing at the time obviously makes it difficult.
It very likely Evans on pencils, the consistent emphasis on creating and conveying mood through facial expressions is characteristic.
Aside;- In the Sekowsky story there is a character called Henry Nostrand. I would think that's a nod to artist Howard Nostrand.

Anyway, its goodbye from me.
Robb will be here tomorrow.
Cheers!

ip icon Logged

Marble River

message icon
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2024, 06:13:25 AM »

So I'm late to the party, just stumbled across this forum, but had to say that "Fire"  from Suspense Detective #1 was a superior story for the time. Well plotted, realistic dialogue and an actually suspenseful story, with really great art! The "Hi Pop" panel on pg 32 is a real gut-punch. Would love to know who the artist is.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2024, 07:21:52 AM »

Hi Marble River,
You are correct this is a great story. and great art too.
I just checked on GCD - Grand Comic Database and the artist is unknown, and I don't recognize him (or her)

https://www.comics.org/issue/223329/

Good to hear from you. I'm looking forward to further contributions.

cheers!

ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2024, 07:28:44 AM »

So I'm late to the party, just stumbled across this forum, but had to say that "Fire"  from Suspense Detective #1 was a superior story for the time. Well plotted, realistic dialogue and an actually suspenseful story, with really great art! The "Hi Pop" panel on pg 32 is a real gut-punch. Would love to know who the artist is.

Hi Marble River - Glad you found the forum. New selections go up every fortnight (on a Monday), but you can always go back and comment on older posts.  Feel free to comment on any posts or books that interest you. It's always good to hear what people think.

Cheers

Quirky Quokka
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.