in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #318 - Obscure Post-War Australian Comics (1946-1948)

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #318 - Obscure Post-War Australian Comics (1946-1948)  (Read 479 times)

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #318 - Obscure Post-War Australian Comics (1946-1948)
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2024, 02:16:25 AM »

Thanks for your comments, everyone. Here are a few of my thoughts.

Desert-Dragon Comic featuring Dr Mensana

I've already mentioned this comic a few times in my replies to others and in a separate post about Dr Kevin Patrick's article on Australian comics, so I will just add a few extra thoughts here. As Patrick notes, these types of comics tended to have fairly standardised page layouts and lots of word balloons, rather than the more dynamic page layouts we see in a lot of other books. However, I did like the art, and the story was interesting enough that I would probably have a look at the other Dr Mensana story we have on the site.

As I mentioned in my intro, the word 'Abo' for aboriginal people is considered derogatory today, but was probably just considered an abbreviation at the time. Australians love to shorten words (breaky for breakfast, arvo for afternoon, barbie for barbecue, sanga for sandwich etc). I thought that the aboriginal fellow Jacky was drawn in a more realistic style, rather than a stereotyped style (though I'm not indigenous, so am only giving it from my perspective). However, when compared to the way in which some cartoonists drew African-American characters at the time, it seems less stereotyped to me. And too bad they didn't try to keep their prehistoric creature alive.

I think it's been mentioned before that we do have a dinosaur museum in Australia, so come on down and have a look  :D

https://www.australianageofdinosaurs.com/

Cheers 

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2024, 03:03:35 AM »

Triumph Comics

I’m not sure what I think of the cover. I guess they’re trying to give us something from each of the main stories, though that headhunter would probably deter me from picking it up off the shelf when I was a kid. However, the inside of the comic was better than the cover led me to believe.

The Raven

If any of our overseas friends wondered what the Raven meant when he said, ‘A lift? What next?’, lift is the Australian word for elevator. Though the term elevator is used later, so go figure. There were a few holes or unexplained bits in the story (How did the Raven manage to blow up the arsenal?) But I did like it overall, and there were some great action shots in the art at various points.

Jo and the Head-Hunters

This story was of more interest to me, mainly because of the art of Moira Bertram. Amazing to think she was only a young teen when she was drawing this comic. I’ve already put more information about Moira and her art in another post. It has a King Kong vibe, and as I noted in my initial post, there are elements that would now be considered racist (especially use of the N-word and some of the stereotyped drawings of the black characters). I also wondered if Jo and her sidekick were more likely to save the chief’s daughter because she was albino and therefore looked white? And why do both Jo and the native girl appear to be wearing swimsuits? Probably for the same reason most of us would don a swimsuit to fight a hairy beast. But I did think it was an interesting comic. I hope some more of Moira Bertram’s art makes it to CB+.

And as I’m sure many/most of you know, there actually were head-hunters in the Pacific region in days gone by, including Papua New Guinea which is Australia’s nearest neighbour, so maybe that provided some of the inspiration.

Here is a recent article:

https://westpapuadiary.com/west-papua-headhunters-2-indigenous-tribes-with-headhunting-history/

Captain Jerry Withers

It was interesting that the televisor looks just like a television set. TVs weren’t introduced into Australia until 1956, just in time for the Melbourne Olympics. The script of this story could be better. I tend to read the panels from the top of the panel down, but then found you really needed to read the narration box at the bottom first.

Fantastic to know that they’ve mastered atomic energy to the point where a pint of fluid could send a rocket ship around the world. If only they’d told us their secret. And why are the former agents in bikinis? I liked some of the art, and they tried for action and suspense. But the patchy script let it down.

The educational fillers were okay, if not riveting. We had a lot of fantastic Aussie tennis players back in the day, though I’d never heard of Dinny Pails. The one-page comic fillers were also okay, but not brilliant.

Overall, this was an interesting glimpse of comics at the time, but Moira Bertram’s art held the most interest for me.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2024, 03:12:09 AM »

Triumph Comics

Interesting that of the three figures on the cover, only the Raven is the star of his own feature, the other two are villains.

Sporting Life
Okay bio page.

The Raven
Interesting. In some respects the Raven almost feels like a guest star in his own story, if they didn't tell us the Raven set off the armory explosion I would have assumed it was random chance that saved Dr. Mason.

Prendergast and Midshipman Breezy 1
Ummm... okay. Even though it was just an animal, killing, cooking, and eating his opponent seemed unnecessarily grim.

Jo and the Headhunter
I guess the writer assumed the audience would be familiar with Jo and her magic cape so felt no need to explain where she got it or what it can do other than lets her fly. The art was nice, although the decision to portray the headhunters as flat black with highlights was... an interesting design choice. Odd that both the Raven story and this story had external circumstances drag their heroes into the stories. Is King Kung the earliest King Kong parody?

The Terrible Twins
Was there ever a time where kids just let complete strangers into the house?

Captain Jerry Winters
I looked at that lackluster title and thought, 'Captain Winters would be a good name for a cold-based superhero.'
Seems like random chance was on the side of the hero here.

Hi SuperScrounge

I'm a bit late replying to this, but I hadn't finished reading the comic myself when you first put it up. Good pick-up about the cover of Triumph Comics featuring a couple of the baddies rather than the good guys. The cover didn't do a lot for me. And I was also left wondering about that explosion.

Re Jo and her Magic Cape, you may have seen that I've since put up another post with more info about that.

And re The Terrible Twins, 'Was there ever a time where kids just let complete strangers into the house?' Um ... 'The Cat in the Hat' by Dr Seuss  :D

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2024, 06:38:40 AM »

Re Jo and her Magic Cape, you may have seen that I've since put up another post with more info about that.

Yes, I read that, very interesting.

I also found her getting her start in comics at 14 interesting because here in the states comic book writer, editor, and publisher, Jim Shooter, wrote his first comic strip at 14 for DC comics Legion of Super-Heroes.

And re The Terrible Twins, 'Was there ever a time where kids just let complete strangers into the house?' Um ... 'The Cat in the Hat' by Dr Seuss  :D

LOL!

I meant in reality. I'm old enough to have been left alone at home as a youngish child, but let a stranger into the house? Nooooooo!
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2024, 08:05:58 AM »

Thanks for the comments on the Triumph comic, Panther. You said:

As a result of the current 'gaming' of Google, I couldn't find anything there on Dinny Rails. I'm sure there is, tho. There is something on almost everything else.

The lettering is hard to work out on that tennis story. It took me a while to work out that it's Dinny Pails. I'd never heard of him, but here's a little something I found:

http://tennishistory.com.au/2010/05/dinny-pails/

The existence of this one-page piece is strikingly similar to such pieces in US comics. That tells me that US comics of the day were a strong influence on Australian comics, more so than the then current English comics were.

Yes, I thought that too. Though one reason in the US was that they could get cheaper postage for educational material, so a couple of factual pages like that or a short story or two could put it into that category. Not sure it was the same in Australia, but the comic book publishers thought it was a good idea.

About The Raven, you said:

The story is filled with these inconsistencies but is visually well-told. 

Yes, I thought the same.

About Moira Bertram's story, you said:

Moira Bertram is an excellent, if idiosyncratic artist. Here she tells a very absurd story and has a lot of fun doing it. Early reference to the 'Jet Stream'?  Seems to be an exercise in how many cliches you can squeeze into one story.
Even breaks 'the forth wall'  [Oh!Oh! look at that poor native girl below, Serge!!]
I would have liked to meet her. I don't think she would have suffered fools gladly. She would have been great on Plastic Man. Impossible to take anything in this story seriously, the artist clearly didn't. I'd like to see more of her work.

Yes, I really liked it. I think she did about 8 stories about Jo and her Magic Cape. Wish we had access to all of them. Later in her career, she seemed to get into the romance comics more, but I would have preferred Jo and all of her adventures.

Thanks for commenting.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2024, 08:11:23 AM »

Yes, I read that, very interesting.

I also found her getting her start in comics at 14 interesting because here in the states comic book writer, editor, and publisher, Jim Shooter, wrote his first comic strip at 14 for DC comics Legion of Super-Heroes.

LOL!

I meant in reality. I'm old enough to have been left alone at home as a youngish child, but let a stranger into the house? Nooooooo!

I'm glad you were able to check out that Kevin Patrick article, SuperScrounge. I really enjoyed it. He's written a lot of articles so I'll have to check out some others. He also has a book based on his PhD called 'The Phantom Unmasked: America's First Superhero'. Now that's the way to do a PhD!

But wait a minute, are you saying 'The Cat in the Hat' is not real????? Next thing you'll be saying there's no Easter Bunny.  :D

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2024, 08:40:04 AM »

Tim Valour Comics

This was actually my favourite of the three. Apparently, there were 98 Tim Valour comics published between 1948 and 1957. I sure hope Downunder Dan or someone else has more copies. Too good to miss.

The Tim Valour title story was my favourite, showing some early art by a teenage John Dixon. His artwork was good right from the start. He especially made a name for himself in his excellent depictions of all manner of aircraft and spacecraft. His writing wasn't the best at this stage, but he did develop into a much better writer and storyteller. Some parts of this story are unintentionally funny. You've got to love an Aussie hero who tells his girlfriend 'I'm sorry Pet but it's far too dangerous'. I know the Brits also say 'pet' or at least Vera does in her crime drama. You don't hear it much these days, but it's often used in an informal friendly way (e.g., 'Would you like another cup of tea, pet?'). Though with the right tone of voice, it can be a put down, like when Vera looks at the crims and says, 'We know you weren't at your mother's last night, pet, so would you like to try again?' As SuperScrounge noted, security was certainly lacking if the girlfriend could just waltz onto the ship. But just as well she did because she was able to take over the controls and fly the rocket close enough to Tim so that his magnetic boots could reattach. What a gal, especially as she didn't seem to have any astronaut training under her belt.

SuperScrounge also said:

Wrong terminology. In space it is called a meteoroid, a meteor while burning up in the atmosphere, and meteorite after it crashes into the planet.

I didn't know that, so thanks for the clarification.

Panther said:

The colouring choices on the cover are good and very attention-getting.
[For those who don't know, most Australian comics were produced on Newsprint and with Black and White interiors.]

Yes, it was a much more eye-catching cover than Dr Mensana. It would have gotten me in.

Panther also said:

As usual for a 'Space' story of this type, the lapses in logic and the inconsistencies abound.
Doesn't make it any less entertaining tho.   

My thoughts exactly. His storytelling and writing got better later (e.g., some of his Catman stories), but I do like his art.

The Skyman

Still in the superhero vein. I didn't like it as much as Tim Valour, but still entertaining. Again lots of inconsistencies, but why should that stop a good yarn? Though it must be hard to quickly chase down the baddies if they always have to drive to Skyman's house, change into their costumes and then go down to the underground launchpad. If only their costumes could be under their clothes or in a nifty ring like Barry Allen's Flash and if only they could get the plane to come to them, like Wonder Woman does with her Invisible Plane.  :D

Panther said:

'Flying Boats' were all the rage at the time. I've often wondered why they seem to have died out.
THE Titan has to be influenced by Howard Hughes' 'Spruce Goose' that only flew once.

I was trying to think of the name of the Spruce Goose, so thanks for the reminder.

SuperScrounge said:

Considering the size of the Titan the fuel expenses must be high. Something that the crooks never considered, I think.

Yes, not the best getaway vehicle, especially as they're going to hide out on an island and use it in their smuggling racket. A bit hard to sneak up on people in that thing.

Rip Weston

I thought this was the weakest of the three stories. Again some inconsistencies, as others have pointed out. Also, the island is populated by freed slaves, but they still have a white master? I guess he's supposed to be a benevolent master, but still ...

Not as keen on this one, but I liked Tim Valour and Skyman, so I hope we can get more of those comics on the site.

Cheers

QQ

« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 08:45:06 AM by Quirky Quokka »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2024, 06:52:32 AM »

Sorry, - due to an emergency situation, and family obligations, I was unable to participate in this thread.  I'll try to get to it and #319, when I can. 

I only read "Desert Dragon" - Dr. Mensana, which I enjoyed very much, despite it's questionable dealing with scientific issues.  I really liked the artwork, especially the look of the sea reptile.  This book's page format, with heavy narration on almost every panel (British Story paper style) is not my favourite.  But, the story was paced fairly well, and the art was interesting.  I thought it was funny that the scientists were said to be ecstatic over getting a dead unknown animal for study and placing in their museum, but not perturbed about Mensana's carelessness in allowing the living (healthy) animal die in transport.  Of course, a sea reptile would need to remain in a water environment for longer than short periods to remain healthy.

I'll continue this post, and even post on the other books, when or IF I can fit it in.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2024, 07:11:17 AM »

Sorry, - due to an emergency situation, and family obligations, I was unable to participate in this thread.  I'll try to get to it and #319, when I can. 

I only read "Desert Dragon" - Dr. Mensana, which I enjoyed very much, despite it's questionable dealing with scientific issues.  I really liked the artwork, especially the look of the sea reptile.  This book's page format, with heavy narration on almost every panel (British Story paper style) is not my favourite.  But, the story was paced fairly well, and the art was interesting.  I thought it was funny that the scientists were said to be ecstatic over getting a dead unknown animal for study and placing in their museum, but not perturbed about Mensana's carelessness in allowing the living (healthy) animal die in transport.  Of course, a sea reptile would need to remain in a water environment for longer than short periods to remain healthy.

I'll continue this post, and even post on the other books, when or IF I can fit it in.

Hi Robb, no worries at all. Please don't feel that you have to come back and comment on the thread, but of course I'll look forward to any comments you have if you do find time. I hope the family emergency has worked out okay.

And yes, a couple of us also questioned their nonchalance about letting such an amazing creature die. I'd never come across this comic before, so I enjoyed seeing something different about Australia, in spite of some aspects that weren't correct. And I liked the art, but I agree there was too much narration.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

lyons

message icon
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2024, 07:39:37 AM »

Lordy. Lordy, Lordy, so abo is racist but Brit is not.  It is a shortened form to represent the whole.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2024, 09:38:21 AM »

Robb said,
  Of course, a sea reptile would need to remain in a water environment for longer than short periods to remain healthy.
If it came out of caves on the Nullabor, it would have been a fresh-water reptile. But yes, it would need to remain in a water environment.
But if the aminal had to be transported from the Nullabor to a city zoo, in those days, it could have been shaken to death.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2024, 10:48:46 AM »

Lordy. Lordy, Lordy, so abo is racist but Brit is not.  It is a shortened form to represent the whole.

Hi Lyons

Shortened forms in Australia are usually seen as a positive thing, but not in this case. At the time when this comic was written, the writer may well have just been using it as a short form and not meaning it in a derogatory sense. I don't know. However, it has certainly come to be a derogative term, perhaps because of the way it has been used in the past. If you used that term today to describe an aboriginal person, it would be similar to using the N-word to describe an African-American. Here's one piece I found about it, though it doesn't give much info.

https://www.sbs.com.au/language/arabic/en/article/five-mistakes-people-make-in-conversation-with-aboriginal-people/o6zpgrobp

Cheers

QQ

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2024, 03:46:36 PM »

Robb said,
  Of course, a sea reptile would need to remain in a water environment for longer than short periods to remain healthy.
If it came out of caves on the Nullabor, it would have been a fresh-water reptile. But yes, it would need to remain in a water environment.
But if the animal had to be transported from the Nullabor to a city zoo, in those days, it could have been shaken to death.

Having been alive at the time and aware of how scientists operated, at least a few years later than that time, I'd have guessed that if Mensana, who was purported to have good morals, and wanting to help society in general, he'd have wanted to do what is best for science, and make sure he wouldn't risk shaking the "living fossil" to death.  IF he didn't have the equipment to keep the animal supported enough to keep it from moving enough to be shaken to death, he should have contacted other scientists (museum authorities or paleontologists) who could provide the equipment to transport it later, safely (perhaps mostly by sea, with a significantly shorter land trip), and have the water environment ready to receive it.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.